A.L.G.E.R.N.O.N. Files and Related

Have a setting you like or a home brew you want to share? Do it here.
dsumner

Re: A.L.G.E.R.N.O.N. Files and Related

Post by dsumner »

Amos Brimstone

dsumner

Post by dsumner »

That Sullivan Guy wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 8:32 pm I scrapped the Slaughterhouse Six as a friend of mine loaned me his copy of Gramercy Island for Heroes Unlimited and that book had a former high-end villain group called The Slaughterhouse Seven. Too close for my comfort.
Well if you change your mind, I for one would like to see what you'd worked up for them.
dsumner

Post by dsumner »

Since I'm asking questions, I'd really like to hear a bit about this guy (Boneyard) and the Orchard.

mightydavidson

Post by mightydavidson »

Since questions are being asked, I got the impression the team called the Black Knights broke up between editions. How'd that happen and where are the members now, in universe?
dsumner

Post by dsumner »

I forgot to post the image of Bonesmith.

That Sullivan Guy

Post by That Sullivan Guy »

dsumner wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 5:17 am Since I'm asking questions, I'd really like to hear a bit about this guy (Boneyard) and the Orchard.

The Orchard is a criminal consortium of rogue scientists that specializes in bioweapons and enhanced soldiers/minions. Originally, the group was part of the tech/research section of a larger group known as The Magi (the ultimate middlemen, who will plan, equip, and provide tech-support for your criminal acts, all for a price). They broke off on their own several years ago, though they still don't know their bright idea was actually arranged by Rex Mundi (head of The Magi), as a measure to winnow down organizational bloat and other overhead issues. The Magi get preferential treatment (so The Orchard stays on their good side) while The Magi carry none of the costs or risks of the consortium's labors.

Once the organization managed to lure away a few choice egghead personnel from S.P.I.R.E. (Scientific Projects Integrated Research Enclaves, which is essentially my version of Marvel's AIM crossed somewhat with DC's HIVE), their work on those enhanced soldiers shifted into high gear. The apex of The Orchard's work in that field are what they call their Dragonsteeth series enhanciles, the best of whom are basically on par with a number of previously existing superhuman combatants.

Boneyard was a codename associated with an African mercenary specializing internationally in wetwork and complex black bag ops. He came to The Orchard after almost getting captured by a group of supers working for one of his targets. He decided a few upgrades were in order and traded services for the enhancements. He worked so well for the group, thanks to a combination of intelligence, skill, and pure ruthlessness, that he rapidly climbed the ranks of first their security apparatus and then their executive ladder. Today, he's pretty much the face of The Orchard's enhanced assets programs as far as the rest of the criminal world is concerned.

That revolver he's carrying is a specially designed monster of a pistol that would break the wrist(s) of any non-augmented shooter, and the rifle on his right is a full-auto 12 gauge firing sabot slugs. He's studied various hero types professionally to such a point that he's a walking encyclopedia of "counter-cape" tactics on par with Marvel's Taskmaster or DC's Deathstroke.

That better, D?
Last edited by That Sullivan Guy on Tue Dec 21, 2021 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
That Sullivan Guy

mightydavidson wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 8:30 pm Since questions are being asked, I got the impression the team called the Black Knights broke up between editions. How'd that happen and where are the members now, in universe?
A task force composed of numerous international law-enforcement agencies and supergroups were finally able to pull off a trap and eventually defeated the team with sheer overwhelming numbers and force. After Kid Shiva and Terminal Velocity were captured, Prodigal tricked Carapace into fighting a delaying action while Prodigal and Facade got away.

As Carapace considered Prodigal his only real friend and the only person in the world he actually trusted, the big guy took this kind of hard and his holding a mondo grudge (...even with the opposition facing him, the good guys still couldn't bring him down for the count and Carapace got away).

Facade tried to play Prodigal for a patsy only to learn he had anticipated her actions and had already taken steps for her to fall into the hands of the authorities instead of him. She turned evidence against her already incarcerated teammates in exchange for a lighter sentence and all three are currently biding their time in prison (Facade and Terminal Velocity at Bone Mountain MetaMax in the Dakota badlands, Kid Shiva in hot-sleep in the covert facility nicknamed "Ghost Town.").

Prodigal is still on the loose and tops the Most Wanted list of many different LEOs.
mightydavidson

Post by mightydavidson »

So does this make Carapace a sort of Hulk-like character in the Algernon Files? Misunderstood monster only looking for a friend and all that?
dsumner

Post by dsumner »

That Sullivan Guy wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 6:24 pm
Boneyard was a codename associated with an African mercenary specializing internationally in wetwork and complex black bag ops. He came to The Orchard after almost getting captured by a group of supers working for one of his targets. He decided a few upgrades were in order and traded services for the enhancements. He worked so well for the group, thanks to a combination of intelligence, skill, and pure ruthlessness, that he rapidly climbed the ranks of first their security apparatus and then their executive ladder. Today, he's pretty much the face of The Orchard's enhanced assets programs as far as the rest of the criminal world is concerned.

That revolver he's carrying is a specially designed monster of a pistol that would break the wrist(s) of any non-augmented shooter, and the rifle on his right is a full-auto 12 gauge firing sabot slugs. He's studied various hero types professionally to such a point that he's a walking encyclopedia of "counter-cape" tactics on par with Marvel's Taskmaster or DC's Deathstroke.

That better, D?
Yes sir. This dude would fit perfectly in a setting I've been tinkering with off and on for years. I've got a group call the "Dogs of War" that are mercenaries working for one of the factions fighting in a fictional an Southwest African country called Nambia. The current ruler, President for Life, Joseph Otanga, is a metahuman with low-level psionic/mental abilities that allow him to influence emotions. He makes use of metahuman mercenaries in the ongoing civil warfare with the Nambian National Resistance Front, led by Desmond Mu'btu. So I could easily see him making use of the Orchard's services.
dsumner

Post by dsumner »

Aaron, I'm not sure about the rest of the guys here, but I'd love to hear a bit more about the "super prisons" you've worked up and how they interact the various law enforcement agencies of the universe. And I've heard about the Circle of Brass several times, what's their deal and do you mind if I post their artwork?
That Sullivan Guy

mightydavidson wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 1:58 am So does this make Carapace a sort of Hulk-like character in the Algernon Files? Misunderstood monster only looking for a friend and all that?
If you're referring to the 70's comic book version of Hulk, yeah. But jadejaw's angry 5-year-old persona would have a slight advantage in terms of brains. Carapace has the mentality of an intellectually challenged 3 or 4 year old. Ideas like "good" and "evil" are way outside his wheelhouse. Before he was bonded to the symbiotic armor, he was more vulnerable and the tests and research being done on him were nothing short of torture. Prodigal freed him from that and that's why he looked at the guy as his only friend. Realizing he'd been betrayed and abandoned has seriously shredded what little amounted to his worldview.
mightydavidson

Post by mightydavidson »

That Sullivan Guy wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 8:44 pm
mightydavidson wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 1:58 am So does this make Carapace a sort of Hulk-like character in the Algernon Files? Misunderstood monster only looking for a friend and all that?
If you're referring to the 70's comic book version of Hulk, yeah. But jadejaw's angry 5-year-old persona would have a slight advantage in terms of brains. Carapace has the mentality of an intellectually challenged 3 or 4 year old. Ideas like "good" and "evil" are way outside his wheelhouse. Before he was bonded to the symbiotic armor, he was more vulnerable and the tests and research being done on him were nothing short of torture. Prodigal freed him from that and that's why he looked at the guy as his only friend. Realizing he'd been betrayed and abandoned has seriously shredded what little amounted to his worldview.
So it's gonna take a bit more then a Rick Jones expy to bring him close to the side of the angels, got it. :lol: Seriously though, I've always been fond of the 70's version of the Hulk (which is not to say I'm not fond of Professor Hulk or Joe Fixit mind you) and it's nice to see that referenced. Lots of good RP opportunities in trying to talk the big guy down, remind him you're his friend and trying to help and such. 'Course the setting's gonna be littered with deceased people who thought manipulating Carapace was a good idea, cause they believed he wasn't gonna figure it out.
mightydavidson

Post by mightydavidson »

So, having gone over list of characters and corporations and such, I really want to learn more about Pontifex Foods, Ltd.
dsumner

Post by dsumner »

While I'm thinking about it, which of the various ALGERNON FIles characters have you guys used in your games?
mightydavidson

Post by mightydavidson »

I was just wondering, are all the members of the most recent iteration of the Sinister Circle new characters? If so, would you mind providing some information on them please? Pretty please?