Better "Meddling Kids": Buffy The Vampire Slayer vs. Mystery Incorporated(Scooby Doo)

If you want to debate fictional fights or do character respect threads, do it here.
MacynSnow

Better "Meddling Kids": Buffy The Vampire Slayer vs. Mystery Incorporated(Scooby Doo)

Post by MacynSnow »

This got stuck in my head & won't leave me alone untill i do this...
The Mystery Incorporated version of Scooby Doo dealt with several legitimate Lovecraft inspired monsters. The Buffy TV series was dealing with it from day one. Both groups were often refered to as "Meddling Kids". Which group would be LEGITIMATELY better? Here's the rules:
-- Pick a Villian from each Series and Plant them in the other groups series(Lothos the Vampire shows up in Crystal Cove, Baba Yaga's house show's up in Sunnydale)
-- figure out how each crew would "Handle" the Monster better.
greycrusader

Re: Better "Meddling Kids": Buffy The Vampire Slayer vs. Mystery Incorporated(Scooby Doo)

Post by greycrusader »

Do the monsters operate according to the rules of the universes they find themselves in? Because otherwise, I tend to think the Mystery Inc. kids are...well, doomed, quite frankly.

Baba Yaga would actually be a pretty solid threat to Buffy and Co; frankly, she'd be among the most powerful "monsters" ever faced by the Slayer and her friends, rivaling Glory in physical strength and dwarfing Willow's magical prowess. "Little Grandmother" is bound by certain codes of hospitality and folkloric conventions. The best strategy might be to ally with her eternal rival Koschei the Deathless to force a stalemate.
MacynSnow

Re: Better "Meddling Kids": Buffy The Vampire Slayer vs. Mystery Incorporated(Scooby Doo)

Post by MacynSnow »

greycrusader wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 5:14 am Do the monsters operate according to the rules of the universes they find themselves in? Because otherwise, I tend to think the Mystery Inc. kids are...well, doomed, quite frankly.
Yes, they operate by the Universal rules their in, but for the Most part their the same Villian. Same M.O., Same attitude, same everything.
greycrusader

Post by greycrusader »

All right, by that standard, I think the Mystery Inc. group actually has an easier go of things; for all his posturing and braggadocio, Lothos was dispatched by Buffy while she was an utter neophyte, nowhere near the peak of her strength and prowess. Her only real assistance came from her sort-of boyfriend Pike, an ordinary if athletic teenage boy. While Lothos bragged about killing "dozens' of Slayers, this was later revealed as almost entirely a lie; canonically he murdered three, and likely did so in the manner he attempted to kill Buffy, ambushing them just after them "awakening".

In the Scooby-verse, he'd preen and menace a lot, but wouldn't take a lot of direct action, despite his vampire speed and strength, and would employ his hypnotic powers freely instead. His lesser-vampire minions would mostly be clownish comic relief, confounded and the gang, chasing them through hallways and doors but tricked into walking into various traps and pitfalls.

Lothos would give the Scoobies some scary moments, but Velma's research would expose his weaknesses, Daphne would distract him (he'd think she was likely a proto-Slayer), Shaggy and Scooby would frustrate him to no end (his mind control being broken by the presence of Scooby-snacks), and Fred would lure him into a Rube Goldberg machine to spell his end.

All my best.