Pop Culture of A World Less Magical

Have a setting you like or a home brew you want to share? Do it here.
MacynSnow

Re: Pop Culture of A World Less Magical

Post by MacynSnow »

If the Archie Movie serial was a success, what about the Cartoon/Band from the 60's/70's?
What about Buffy the Vampire Slayer & Joss Weadon?
Voltron64

Post by Voltron64 »

MacynSnow wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 8:14 pm What about Buffy the Vampire Slayer & Joss Whedon?
Buffy probably doesn't likely exist due to kismet providing Maureen Summerisle, that's my rule of thumb for such things at least.

Also superheroes don't absolutely dominate comics (nor does pirates ala Watchmen, no specific genre does TBH) and the related pop culture zeitgeist, but they are a part of it.

Really the big things dominating pop culture are Fantasy (mainly High and Sword & Sorcery), Cyberpunk (thanks to the iconic Gibson adaptations of the Aughts), and Historical Fiction in general.
Davies

Post by Davies »

MacynSnow wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 8:14 pm If the Archie Movie serial was a success, what about the Cartoon/Band from the 60's/70's?
Well, in the comics, there was probably a storyline that imitated the Monkees, but there was no Archie TV show at the time, so there were never any recordings of their music. And yes, this probably means that there was never a Scooby-Doo, either.
MacynSnow wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 8:14 pm What about Buffy the Vampire Slayer & Joss Weadon?
The original movie was never made, and the TV series didn't happen either. But Whedon did have a success coming up with a TV series about a young woman discovering the supernatural and trying to deal with it on its own terms -- "Willow", running from 1997 to 2003, with a spin-off, "Watcher", focusing on a recurring character from the original series dealing with matters in Los Angeles. (Blakestone is a fan, though she'll furiously deny it.) Meanwhile, Sarah Michelle Gellar has largely become a latter-day scream queen.
"I'm sorry. I love you. I'm not sorry I love you."
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

Thank you, it's nice to know at least part of my 80's & 90's childhood was saved(sadly it wasn't Scooby Doo) ....
Davies

Post by Davies »

* One genre that has persisted in the comic books of the World Less Magical is the confessional, in which readers are invited to write in and supply their true stories. The genre is dominated by romance and/or comedy, but one of the most popular books has been My Greatest Adventure, published by National Periodicals, a branch of Warner Media, in which contributors describe encounters with unusual phenomena. Most people assume that the stories are entirely made up, or at least highly fictionalized. However, a research project undertaken at Columbia determined that, out of five years of the series' releases (sixty issues [each including one or two stories] and eight specials [usually consisting of reprints from the series, with a total of six original stories included]), roughly thirty per cent of the published accounts could be traced to actual events, and that the most common fictional element was usually the removal of "superhero rescue" conclusions in favor of portraying the story's protagonist as having resolved matters themselves.
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

Wissen would probably wind-up as a fan of My Greatest Adventure, mostly due to accuracy....
Voltron64

Post by Voltron64 »

(Trivia) The United States legalized gay marriage and eligibility to openly serve in the military in the late 90s and/or early-to-mid 2000s thanks to efforts of the Kennedy/Clinton administrations as well as AIDs being nipped in the bud in '83.
Davies

Post by Davies »

* While the real John Maddox was not a superpower, the fictional version of him, John Matrix, clearly was, explaining some confused statements on my part earlier. He appeared in four additional movies, released in 1988 (set in Afghanistan), 1991 (set in "Val Verde"), 1994 (set in Florida, with Matrix portrayed as a secret agent) and 2003 (supposedly set during Cerebron's assault). They are (especially those last two) complete fiction.
Voltron64

Post by Voltron64 »

(Pop Culture/Trivia) The Joint Special Forces Task Force actually did have some it's more prominent members do public service announcements at the request of the higher-ups. They usually ended look along the lines of this.

:mrgreen:
Davies

Post by Davies »

Voltron64 wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 12:03 am (Pop Culture/Trivia) The Joint Special Forces Task Force actually did have some it's more prominent members do public service announcements at the request of the higher-ups. They usually ended look along the lines of this.

And, very strangely in some people's opinion, the Pythons never attempted to assassinate any JSOT personnel while they were filming these PSAs, despite the fact that they had incredibly low operational security. No one really knows why ... :twisted:
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

(Pop Culture/Trivia) During the Height of the Insurgency, the government were in talk's with Toy companies for a line of JSOT action figures(similar to what they did during WW 2), but it was nixed when the Python's threatened bombing run's on the various Company headquarters.
Voltron64

Post by Voltron64 »

Davies wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 7:20 am
Voltron64 wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 12:03 am (Pop Culture/Trivia) The Joint Special Forces Task Force actually did have some it's more prominent members do public service announcements at the request of the higher-ups. They usually ended look along the lines of this.

And, very strangely in some people's opinion, the Pythons never attempted to assassinate any JSOT personnel while they were filming these PSAs, despite the fact that they had incredibly low operational security. No one really knows why ... :twisted:
Because what could the Pythons possibly do to them that was anyway near as painful as what they did to themselves? ;)
Davies

Post by Davies »

Trivia Notes about A World More Grim

* Snow White (Blakestone's counterpart) had a twin brother, who went by the name Red Shift. He ran away from home along with her, and died fighting Metalika's uprising right after the two of them became provisional members of the Superhuman Crew.
Spoiler
Except that he didn't stay dead, resurrecting right in front of the Shootist (the Golden Archer's counterpart.) He's since made a new life under the alias Tommy Elagabalus.
* The Goddamned Queen (Basilea's counterpart) is the adopted daughter of the Queen of Hespera, taken in while Serena wandered the outside world in the seventies. She was sent into exile at the start of the heroic era due to manipulations by her step-sister Morgaine (who is Jodie Crowley's counterpart.)

* Shadowraptor (Darkwing's counterpart) alias Teddy Beauregard, is Black. His parents are also still alive, and have no idea what their son gets up to while he's not running the family business.

* Flag (the American Eagle's counterpart) persuaded Myrmidon (Cadmus' counterpart) to a merger of Myrmidon Enterprises and Heroic Designs, under the name Real American Heroes, Inc. Pallas (Nike's counterpart) is also employed there, having emerged in Washington state instead of Greece.
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

I take it A World More Grim is the "Earth 2" version of your main one?
Davies

Post by Davies »

More like Ultimate MU vs. Regular MU.