Pop Culture of A World Less Magical

Have a setting you like or a home brew you want to share? Do it here.
Davies

Re: Pop Culture of A World Less Magical

Post by Davies »

MacynSnow wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 7:25 pm So no FTL tech has been developed yet? Wonder why the Hyperbrain's haven't got on that yet.....
Unfortunately, one thing that the Sol system doesn't have is much in the way of naturally existing hyperfuel. (It was all mined up a long time ago.) The base on Ceres is able to replicate the stuff, but the Technate is not nearly as much of a post-scarcity society as the Federation or the Culture, and cannot afford to just give it away for free, or even for cheap.
"I'm sorry. I love you. I'm not sorry I love you."
Voltron64

Post by Voltron64 »

Davies wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 7:46 pm
MacynSnow wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 7:25 pm So no FTL tech has been developed yet? Wonder why the Hyperbrain's haven't got on that yet.....
Unfortunately, one thing that the Sol system doesn't have is much in the way of naturally existing hyperfuel. (It was all mined up a long time ago.) The base on Ceres is able to replicate the stuff, but the Technate is not nearly as much of a post-scarcity society as the Federation or the Culture, and cannot afford to just give it away for free, or even for cheap.
Yeah, you got to be living at least near the heart of Technate space to get that post-scarcity stuff, I'm talking worlds like Muraddin or Aperion.
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

What all Music Bands are around still?
Davies

Post by Davies »

Well, the good news is that One Who Offended All had been recruited by the Pythons and was rather busy in 1980, so John Lennon is still alive. However he's a recluse and hasn't made any music since his marriage to Yoko Ono broke up in the early nineties. The worse bad news is that Paul McCartney was one of the thousands who died during Cerebron's attack. (George Harrison is also dead under the same circumstances as OOTL.) On the whole, I think that's a net loss.

The Spice Girls never formed ... you don't really want to know what happened to them. Generally, most UK-based groups that would have emerged in the eighties and onward don't exist, and K-Pop is not a thing, either, though V-Pop somewhat takes its place.

It's starting to seem like a fairly musically barren reality, isn't it? Well, Imagine Dragons and Fallout Boy both still exist. Paragon is a big fan of the Beach Boys, Blakestone, Prydwen and Nick are united in their regard for Loreena McKennitt, and Trouble never misses a Foo Fighters concert in Seattle if she can possibly help it.
Voltron64

Post by Voltron64 »

Davies wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 8:28 am The Spice Girls never formed ... you don't really want to know what happened to them. Generally, most UK-based groups that would have emerged in the eighties and onward don't exist, and K-Pop is not a thing, either, though V-Pop somewhat takes its place.
More like mid-nineties actually, though Dracula started his domination of Britain with the Thatcher admin, it really started shifting into high gear when Argus was formed, with Dame Beatrice and Lord Greystroke (two major obstacle in Dracula's plans) becoming too distracted to otherwise interfere. Dracula's control of the UK reached it's current state in 2001 thanks to the panic and devastation brought by Cerebron.
Last edited by Voltron64 on Wed Mar 03, 2021 4:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sidney369

Post by Sidney369 »

Davies wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 8:28 am Blakestone, Prydwen and Nick are united in their regard for Loreena McKennitt,
The greatest singer to have come out of Stratford, Ontario.
Always ask before you use someone's Original Character.
Never ever use them without permission. Only Villains do that.
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

What about Barenaked Ladies, They Might Be Giants, Blues Traveller, Smash Mouth?
Davies

Post by Davies »

Barenaked Ladies -- still active.
They Might Be Giants -- disbanded in 2001 following the deaths of founding members John Flansburgh and John Linnell.
Blues Traveller -- still active
Smash Mouth -- broke up in 2015 after Steve Harwell's arrest (he received one year's house arrest for a berserk rampage at a food festival.)
Voltron64

Post by Voltron64 »

Davies wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 4:53 am They Might Be Giants -- disbanded in 2001 following the deaths of founding members John Flansburgh and John Linnell.
F***ing Cerebron...
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

Voltron64 wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 4:57 am
Davies wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 4:53 am They Might Be Giants -- disbanded in 2001 following the deaths of founding members John Flansburgh and John Linnell.
F***ing Cerebron...
I know Cerebron "Donated" my Nanite Colony, but F*** you Cerebron....
Voltron64

Post by Voltron64 »

MacynSnow wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 5:02 am
Voltron64 wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 4:57 am
F***ing Cerebron...
I know Cerebron "Donated" my Nanite Colony, but F*** you Cerebron....
And that's not even getting to how he terrorizes worlds just to psychically feed off the fear and pandemonium he produces all to augment his mystical powers...
Voltron64

Post by Voltron64 »

(Pop Culture/Trivia) The never-identified superhero who stopped three deranged youths from committing a multiple homicide at 10050 Cielo Drive is one of the greatest unsolved mysteries/urban legends of the WLM, sort of like a heroic equivalent of the Zodiac Killer.
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

--(Pop Culture/Movies) Mel Brook's never made Spaceballs, but he DID continue his "History of the World" series instead.
Last edited by MacynSnow on Wed Mar 10, 2021 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Voltron64

Post by Voltron64 »

MacynSnow wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 1:09 pm --(Pop Culture/Television) Mel Brook's never got into Hollywood (No one thought he was funny) but he DID get into British Television and helped keep a certain Time travelling show running(the Protagonist is on their 25th Regeneration and has had 4 Female forms to date).
Personally wouldn't go with that, IMHO.

Mainly because of the existence of Futurian/Exelion (and the sort of fiat that the fictional inspiration doesn't coexist with the Expy) and/or because it was never revived in Dracula-controlled Britain.

Also, the only change I'd have for Mel Brooks is that Spaceballs was never made (No Star Wars in this reality).
Davies

Post by Davies »

MacynSnow wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 1:09 pm --(Pop Culture/Movies) Mel Brook's never made Spaceballs, but he DID continue his "History of the World" series instead.
Approved; there were three more films in the series, released in 1987 (replacing Spaceballs), 1993 (replacing Robin Hood: Men in Tights), and 1995 (replacing Dracula: Dead and Loving It.) The lattermost episode dealt with the Battle of Vietnam, and was a flop, explaining why he's mostly worked as an actor since then.

* While there was a Doctor Who series (but neither of the theatrical releases were made) it was cancelled in 1985, having suffered in comparison to Battlestar Galactica and the Lost in Space telemovies, and has never been revived, despite being fondly remembered in some quarters.

* Addendum: Battlestar Galactica still exists, as does the remake.

* Addendum: No Dracula movie has completed production since 1987's The Monster Squad ... people, most notably director and producer Francis Ford Coppola, keep going missing during production.