The Coyote Den

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Jabroniville

Re: Coyote Den's taking requests!

Post by Jabroniville »

CoyoteUnion wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 6:24 pm There's so many anime characters and I'm bad at choices, so I'm taking requests from any anime I've seen:

Baki the Grappler (not caught up)
Bleach
Dragon Ball, duh
Fist of the North Star
Jojo's Bizarre Adventure (not part 8)
Naruto
One Piece
Yu Yu Hakusho

Mostly first come first serve, but if we have really complicated powers/histories and there's a simpler build in front, simple might go first. We'll see.

I'll build groups, though again they might take a while to get to, especially if the members are all complicated. If you ask for a group of like 20 people it'll get trimmed to the essential members.

Feel free to recommend other anime too.

Hoping requests will get me back into the build game. Thinking of buying Herolab full version too, templates would be really nice.
Oh awesome! Glad to see you back at it! I was thinking of bugging you about your thread but didn't want to be a pest, lol.

I'm always a fan of the Dragon Ball characters from back in the day- especially the ones that didn't move on to DBZ. I'd be interested in seeing Yu Yu Hakusho from someone who's actually read it (I just did Fighting Game versions of the characters), too.

One Piece is probably my #2 next to Dragon Ball, as it really lacks a set detailing what is one of the longest-running continuous runs by the same creator ever.
CoyoteUnion

Coyote Den: Yusuke Urameshi

Post by CoyoteUnion »

Yusuke Urameshi (PL 11, 158 PP)

First Appearance: Yu Yu Hakusho #1 (Dec 1990)
Role: Shonen Hero, Thug with a heart of gold, The Peter Parker of anime
Abilities (72 PP)
STR 8 STA 8 AGL 3 DEX 2 FGT 11
INT 0 AWA 1 PRE 3

Skills (23 PP)
Acrobatics 4 (+7)
Athletics 8 (+16)
Deception 6 (+9)
Insight 2 (+3)
Intimidation 4 (+7)
Perception 4 (+5)
Persuasion 4 (+7)
Ranged Combat [Spirit Gun] 8 (+10)
Sleight of Hand 6 (+8)

Advantages (19 PP)
All-out Attack
Close Attack 1
Contacts
Cool (Persuasion)
Defensive Roll 3
Diehard
Extraordinary Effort
Great Endurance
Improved Critical 1 (Spirit Gun)
Improved Initiative 3
Improvised Weapon 1
Inspire 2
Power Attack
Taunt

Powers (30 PP)
Spirit Technqiues (Array) [14]
  • Spirit Shotgun (Cone Area Damage 6) [12]
  • Spirit Gun (Unreliable Diminished Range Blast 12) [1]
  • Spirit Punch (Strength-based Strike 2) [1]
Demon Flight: Flight 6 [12]
Ki Sense: Senses 4 (Ranged 2 Radius Detect Ki) [4]

Offense
Spirit Gun +10 (DC 27 Ranged Damage Crit 19-20)
Spirit Punch +12 (DC 25 Damage)
Spirit Shotgun (DC 21 Cone Area Damage)
Unarmed +12 (DC 23 Damage)
Throw +2 (DC 23 Damage)

Defense (16 PP)
Dodge 8, Parry 11, Fortitude 8, Toughness 11/8, Will 12

Complications
Stigma: People treat Yusuke like a dead-end thug.
Target: There are almost no strong humans in Yu Yu Hakusho. His power and potential means great forces want to recruit or kill him.

He used to have another complication:
Half-Hearted: Yusuke doesn't know how to fully commit to anything, he's afraid to. He can't use Hero Points unless things are life-changingly bad ("threatening his friends" isn't bad enough, killing them is).

Yusuke dies in chapter 1
Who cares? He was worthless. A school-skipping fighting friendless gambling smoker at 14, the same age his drunk mom was when she had him. He was a thug and he'd always be one. No one but his mom and his classmate Keiko knew he had a kind heart, he didn't even know until he jumped in front of a car to save a toddler.

Botan, our peppy blue-haired guide to the underworld, tells him the kid would've been fine and Yusuke actually hurt him more. He died for no reason! But good news: his sacrifice tipped the scales and his life was 50/50 on good and bad. He might be able to come back to life, but he doesn't care. Nobody else should and nobody else does, why would he? So she shows him his funeral. He can barely watch his mom and Keiko break down, but there's other people he never expected. The toddler, whose mom has to explain what death is now? That punk Kuwabara who tried to fight him all the time? Even the principal? Sure, most people still knock him, but... He takes Botan's offer.

He does enough good deeds (stops a little kid from killing himself, helps a ghost get over her ex, gives a dying old man one last week with his son, that sort of thing) and comes back to life when Keiko (who ran into his burning house to save him earlier) kisses him. But that's just the beginning cause Koenma, prince of Spirit World, makes him a Spirit Detective. That basically means he beats up demons causing trouble on Earth. He learns a finger blast, the Spirit Gun (pronounced like "raygun" in Japanese) which he can use a few times a day, and cause regular people can't see it he even gets to knock out his asshole teacher.

The Dynamic
I'll explain the rest in other builds, but he quickly settles into a foursome: him, Kuwabara and the two demons he met on his first case, Kurama and Hiei. Botan and Koenma can't fight but they're on the team too. These guys have the best chemistry I've ever seen in shonen. They feel like an actual friend group, versus most shonen where you can only find that in fanfic cause manga writers never had friends growing up and only know what they see in comics and TV lol. They're all smartasses but they care about each other so much and it's wonderful. It's one of the main draws for Yu Yu Hakusho and I'd watch 5 downtime episodes in a row if they had them.

Rounding out the group, they send him to train his ki with Genkai, an old woman who's an even bigger hardass than he is! She's also the first older person in his life who cares about his success, who has time for him and who he can't scare off or outsnark (and he's HARD to outsnark). She forces him to stop slacking and do his best, deal with his issues head-on and learn what's important to him. Yusuke's mom clearly loves him but she's too stuck in her demons to be a good mother and she doesn't know how to relate to him. Genkai fills the void.

You gotta understand I'm not exaggerating these scenes. The writer Togashi's way better at emotional scenes and life lessons than most. He's not just regurgitating cliches, he puts real truth in the story, and that's the key to Yusuke's success.

The Dark Tournament
He needs everything he learned and more to survive the Dark Tournament. If you own Hero High the demon Toguro has "Age of Escalation" written on his forehead. He's unstoppable and threatens Yusuke's friends and family unless he enters the tournament, even killing Genkai to settle an old score. When it's FINALLY time to fight (it's a long tournament) nothing Yusuke does matters until Toguro kills Kuwabara. That commits him 100% to something for the first time in his life and it's enough to kill Toguro. There's a lot more to Toguro than that (and "i'll kill your friends unless you enter a tournament" is way less dumb than I'm making it sound) but maybe I'll build him someday.

During the tournament the spirit egg Koenma gave Yusuke when he was dead hatches. I didn't mention it? Don't worry, all the characters forgot about it until then and I think the author did too. The point was it'd hatch into a reflection of his soul and if he was bad it'd devour him. Instead we get Puu, the ridiculous little blue thing in the picture, cause aww, Yusuke's a softie. Puu feels however Yusuke does and gets hurt when he does. All he can do is make a weak force field so he can't help in the fights, but he shows up for Yusuke's big character development scenes.

Chapter Black Arc
The previous Spirit Detective Shinobu Sensui is a different challenge. His minions' strange powers make him think outside the box to win. He kills a human (he survives, but Yusuke thought he was killing him and that's what counts). He outthinks Sensui fighting style but not his sheer power, and this time he doesn't have anything left to give, so he lets Sensui kill him to give his friends the same commitment that let him beat Toguro. It goes horribly right.

See, Sensui's plan was to open a tunnel to the Demon World so demons would swarm the earth and destroy the sinful, dishonest human race. Like Toguro it's more complicated than that but that's for another time. Point is, by the time Yusuke dies it's already mostly open and Spirit World sends in its in-house talent (of course we've never seen or heard of them before even though they're all stronger than our heroes and can come to Earth any time, but they're usually busy in Demon World so maaaaybeeeee it's ok). The Special Defense Force has two jobs. One, close the portal, which will take a week. Two... kill Yusuke.

They drop a bombshell: one of his ancestors 44 generations ago was an extremely powerful demon named Raizen. The first time Yusuke died he wasn't strong enough for Raizen's DNA to express itself, just like the other descendents, but now that he knows ki it can happen. Yusuke wakes up as Sensui's equal with full-grown Puu at his side and jumps into Demon World to fight him, but in the middle he hears Raizen's voice in his head saying he'll show him how it's done. Raizen controls his body, makes him even stronger and easily kills Sensui.

Three Kings Arc: Drifting Apart
The fallout turns the series upside down. Yusuke was invested in the fight, he could've won without the powerup and he feels violated, but it's more than that. His former bosses want him dead or banished to Demon World (Botan can't even see him). Koenma's in hot water because he stopped the Defense Force from killing Yusuke when they had the chance. And to be honest, Yusuke's not sure he wants to live as a human anymore. He doesn't love fighting for fighting's sake like other anime characters, he fights to fill the void so he doesn't have to look at himself. Now no one on Earth can touch him. He cares about the people around him, so he stays, but the world doesn't matter.

He asks Genkai what to do. She tells him to put his big boy pants on and live his life, but she's also not sure. He can make earthquakes just by flexing his ki now. Armies can't stop him anymore. If he gets mad or depressed he can destroy anything before he catches himself. He goes to the first Spirit Detective (the one before Sensui) who thinks he's alright, but then Raizen's men try to recruit him and he talks about their human diet like it's a personal preference. The old detective suggests he should go, and he does.

There are three kings with the potential to rule Demon World who've been in a deadlock for 500 years (there are smaller countries but we never see them). They all have different visions for the future and ideas of how demons should act. Raizen is one of them. The others are connected to Kurama and Hiei and recruit them.

Raizen's men recruit Yusuke because Raizen fell in love with Yusuke's ancestor, a healer who was a cannibal by choice, and he vowed not to eat human meat until he saw her again. He held on all this time but he'll be dead in a year, so the deadlock will break and set off a war. Raizen's country needs all the top-tier fighters it can get. Yusuke only goes along to kick Raizen's ass and maybe get answers.

Yusuke doesn't plan to stay forever, just three years, but it's still goodbye to everyone he knows. The main cast'll see each other again, sure, but not much. The good old days are over. They have to move on. Keiko takes it the hardest (we don't see his mom). She dumps him. He proposes.

I THINK the rest of the arc is supposed to be about Yusuke getting comfortable as a mixed guy and learning to live in both worlds. But unfortunately this was when Togashi's back problems flared up.

Manga has the opposite problem of comics. Instead of artists who miss deadlines or don't like comics, manga writers have to dedicate their lives to the job. Naruto's writer waited 10+ years for his honeymoon and One Piece's writer sees his kids once a week. Sometimes they break their bodies (back/shoulder/wrist injuries) and Togashi did worse than anyone I've ever seen. Today he's still plugging away on Hunter x Hunter when he can (he's done 7 1/2 years of chapters since 1998 and nothing in the last four years) but he writes horrifying author's notes like "stuck in bed -> crawl on all fours -> find help -> struggle to get up and go to the hospital" or "the joy of sitting up on the toilet or in a chair... you don't have to poop when you're bedridden".

That means the arc's rushed to just 5 months, ridiculously short for a shonen final arc (Toguro and Sensui got a year each). You can tell he's saving strength anywhere he can. In the same chapter it'll swing between the best panels in the series and whole pages of line art. Backgrounds are either beautiful full-page spreads or blank white space. Yusuke gets to know Raizen before he dies that year but we only get a couple chapters. Then he solves the other two kings' 500-year deadlock by suggesting a TOURNAMENT (Kurama has his king by the balls so he has to accept and the other one knows she can win). That tourney lasts one month of real time and barely any of that was fighting. Hilariously Yusuke and the Kings all fail and one of Raizen's old buddies wins, but he has a soft stance on humans and Yusuke proves himself by tiring out the much stronger king Yomi with sheer stubbornness.

The World Grows Up
Once he loses the tournament Yusuke comes back to the regular world even though it's only been a year and a half, and reconnects with Kurama and Kuwabara. The end of the series is a bunch of vignettes. It turns out Spirit World was brainwashing demons into killers to "prove" demons were scum and their demon world barrier was necessary. Koenma discovered the truth investigating Sensui and overthrew his father. The demon barrier is completely down and Earth is slowly becoming aware of them, though it's just a rash of "paranormal activity" for now. Raizen's vision won.

With no one left to fight Yusuke starts doing actual demon detective work with a lot of help from Kurama (he still doesn't get any Investigation ranks though :D ). We also find out his mom and dad still talk every month though he hasn't seen Yusuke since he was 3; he's been giving them money without Yusuke's knowledge. Yusuke finally came to terms with himself in Demon World and even though he doesn't fight he's happier than we've ever seen him.

The team gets back together one more time to stop old guard jihadists from taking Spirit World back over (Spirit World is where people go when they die but it's not actually holy and people still have religions), and it comes down to Yusuke pressing one of three buttons. Puu speaks in Genkai's voice and tells him to push one and make up a reason. Genkai passes on the same day and the team inherits her money and land, which she dedicates to a refuge for demons. Yusuke tells everyone he pushed the red button, but he really pushed the blue, Keiko's favorite color, and said "if they've got their god, I've got my goddess". And that's how it ends.

I hear the old folks call it "maudlin"
I spent so long on his character development and not the action because Yusuke resonates with me, and I'm not the only one. Yu Yu Hakusho is the only shonen I know where the main character's the #1 fan favorite and I think it's cause it's about a boy growing up. People think your anime character needs to be bland so everyone can project on him, but Yusuke's a distinctive character with a distinctive life and people from totally different worlds identify with him. A lot of shonen is meant to be about that but it gets lost in all the fights and worldbuilding. Those are great, don't get me wrong, but they don't hit you personally like this. My life's nothing like Yusuke's but man, I know what it's like to be a talented kid without enough faith and motivation to make something of it.

I didn't realize I was bi until I was almost 18 (a couple years ago, yes I'm a baby) even though I grew up in an accepting family where my sister was out for years. That's unusual for a zoomer (it feels like most of us know in junior high) and I don't feel at home in either straight or gay culture, not that I did before I knew. I get Yusuke's deal isn't the same, he's more "demons are my people but Earth is my home", but just having a main character who knows what it's like in a major franchise that's not pigeonholed as a "queer series" is a weight off my back.

Build Notes:
I could build Yusuke at any PL (by feats he's PL 16 or even higher by the end of the series) but I picked 11 cause unlike some shonen heroes he never stops being a scrappy underdog compared to the megavillains. Even though he's technically a martial artist he doesn't look, fight or act like it. In a bind he'll do anything he can think of; he pretends to block one boss's lightning with his rubber-soled shoes on his hands, but he's really charging up a Spirit Gun behind them. Even versus Sensui (when they're both like PL 14 by real feats) he wraps his t-shirt around Sensui's arm to get a hit. If it was a comic book he'd use stuff like that a lot more.

He has three sources of power. At first he has his human side. At the end of the Dark Tournament Genkai gives him most of her power, the Spirit Wave she cultivated her whole life to pass to a successor. Finally he discovers his demon heritage. He doesn't transform like most shonen heroes, it's all there all the time. For a lot of the series he has a hard time committing to anything, so he can't use his full power until things get really bad because he knows what he wants but he's not 100% focused on achieving that goal. He gets over it by the end of the series and it's unclear if he can still get Big Shonen Powerups anymore. I let him keep Extraordinary Effort anyway though, it's a protag thing.

He can surround his hands in ki for a harder punch, but his only named technique is the Spirit Gun Koenma taught him. He makes a finger gun and shoots a blast that's invisible to normal people. At first it's only as wide as his finger and all it can do is knock out his asshole teacher but by the end of the series it's an enormous beam. He likes to Power Attack with it so it misses a lot but when it hits... When he trains with Genkai he makes the Spirit Shotgun, dozens of weaker blasts to take out a group. He can only use a certain number of Guns a day, one at first increasing to four over time. He might have unlimited Guns by the very end of the series but we only see that for one fight so I kept the limit. Very simple powers (an end-stage shonen character under cost? Madness!) but effective.

Yusuke occasionally uses Spirit Detective Tools with convenient powers (5 points or less), but they mostly disappear once he trains with Genkai, and Botan can give them to anyone so they're more her thing.
Last edited by CoyoteUnion on Tue Jun 07, 2022 11:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ares
Site Admin

Re: The Coyote Den

Post by Ares »

I'd kind of want to see Yusuke and Hellboy team up. Not only are they both two rough and tumble, rough around the edges but good at their core types, but they both have roughly the same approach to detective work: find the problem and start punching.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Hooray! You're back with a long bio post!! Really great stuff- getting not only Yusuke's history but how much of it is based around his personal growth and just WHY that character resonated.

That bit on "the only shonen hero who's the undisputed #1 fan favorite character" is so damn true, lol. I swear every time Dragon Ball Z is brought up the first comment is "UGH I wish Supporting Character B had been given a bigger role instead of Goku always winning!" like the fans CAN NOT accept that the main hero always wins. So it's interesting that Yusuke actually loses a fair bit, and doesn't even win the final fights. When I did my own research on these characters, I found it super-interesting that the next Big Bad kill-stealed the previous Big Bad as well. It makes it seem MUCH different from the usual "Fighting" animes.

Did you prefer the "Spirit Detective" stuff to the "Gotta Get Into Fighting Tournaments" stuff? I've read some fans liked the former and were disappointed that the simpler plots of the latter eventually took precedence Because Shonen.

I found it really interesting that Yusuke was such a bad apple- not the kind of guy who finds sympathy with Japanese audiences very often. I've heard that Bart Simpson, for example, REALLY turned off Japanese audiences and the show in Japan could only gain traction via Lisa, who more represented the "Ideal Japanese Child" in a way. Yusuke is way different than Goku, Naruto or Luffy, all of whom come off like loud, hyper-aggressive toddlers (otaku who visit Japan often unintentionally annoy everyone around them by copying "Shonen Speech", and mannerisms which is really just "angry toddler" when spoken aloud in actual conversation). Yusuke, by contrast, has a MUCH worst attitude- almost revelling in how little he cares about anything- and this makes him a lot more interesting and all the more impressive when he reverses course.

I actually didn't know about the creator's back issues. I feel bad for him, and poor Naoko Takeuchi, his lovely bride! It was funny as a lifelong Sailor Moon fan to find out that her husband's own books have been incredibly popular (though not the global phenomena that Sailor Moon was).
MarvelLion

Post by MarvelLion »

Glad to see you posting again! Nice job with Yusuke!
CoyoteUnion

The Coyote Den: Kuwabara

Post by CoyoteUnion »

Kazuma Kuwabara (PL 10, 140 PP)

First Appearance: Yu Yu Hakusho #1 (Dec 1990)
Role: Shonen Sidekick, Lovable Dumbass, Thug with a heart of gold-er

Abilities (46 PP)
STR 5 STA 6 AGL 1 DEX 0 FGT 8
INT 2 AWA -1 PRE 2

Skills (13 PP)
Athletics 6 (+11)
Insight 6 (+5)
Perception 6 (+5)
Persuasion 8 (+10)

Advantages (8 PP)
Accurate Attack
All-out Attack
Assessment
Diehard
Extraordinary Effort
Fearless
Interpose
Teamwork

Powers (54 PP)
Spirit Sword (Array) [37]
  • Space Rip (Portal Accurate Change Direction Teleport 7, Activation 2) [34]
  • Spirit Sword (Strength-based Damage 7, Reach 4) [1]
  • Dimension Sword (Parry-resisted Damage 10) [1]
  • Dimension Escape (Portal Movement 1 [Dimensional: Back to Earth from anywhere]) [1]
Psychic Senses: Senses 14 (Extended 2 Accurate Radius Detect Spirit Energy, Uncontrolled Postcognition, Uncontrolled Precognition) [10]

...and Kuwabara is a man!: Innate Protection 6 [7]

Offense
Spirit Sword +8 (DC 27, 20 ft)
Dimension Sword +8 (DC 25 Parry)
Unarmed +12 (DC 23 Damage)
Throw +2 (DC 23 Damage)

Defense (19 PP)
Dodge 7, Parry 8, Fortitude 6, Toughness 12, Will 12

Complications
Stigma: People treat Kuwabara like a dead-end thug.
A mulberry is a tree...: Kuwabara believes in a kid's idea of manliness. He's chivalrous to a fault and in a fight he won't flee or accept help even if he's clearly losing. People who are too serious or don't like traditional masculinity won't like him either.

He used to have this complication.
Approval: Kuwabara can't give it his all unless he's doing it for someone else watching or trying to impress them. He can't use hero points when that's not true.

The Second-Toughest Kid at Sarayashiki Junior High
This big doofus used to be the toughest punk in school until Yusuke showed up. Now they fight every day, and Kuwabara's down 0-200 but he's gonna get him next time, man! But one day he can't because Yusuke's dead. He breaks down at the funeral and his toadies barely stop him from charging the coffin. Yusuke sees the whole thing and realizes he cares. What he doesn't realize is Kuwabara's a psychic sensitive*, so Yusuke can talk to him in dreams, sometimes possess him, and Kuwabara can eventually feel his presence. That leads to hilarious situations like Yusuke helping Kuwabara study so his friend can keep his job, hitting on Keiko in his body and even trying to get him to KISS Yusuke to restore his life.

*Not surprising to Japanese readers, since saying "kuwabara kuwabara" is supposed to ward off ghosts there

Kuwabara the Swordsman
Yusuke comes back to life and it looks like he's out of the story, but then he goes to train with Genkai and who's there but Kuwabara? Kuwabara's seeing ghosts and he heard Genkai could help, but instead he's dragged into a series of challenges to become her apprentice and he has to fight a samurai! Fortunately he discovers he's even more sensitive than he thought. He beats a rock-paper scissors machine 15 times in a row, and he beats the samurai by making a sword out of spirit energy! Unfortunately the demon Yusuke was hunting uses a cheap spell and breaks all his bones, but it doesn't get him down, he's too earnest.

Kuwabara learns Yusuke's a Spirit Detective and tags along to stop the Four Saint Beasts from zombifying the city. He didn't train with Genkai but he mastered his sword all on his own; now it can stretch and bend, even into a pole vault or a circle. But he has to fight the worst possible opponent: Byakko can absorb spirit energy. Yusuke thinks he can't win and tries to switch out, but Kuwabara won't ask for help and while he wins the fight it ends with him hanging over lava by one hand.

Spirit World knows he's reliable now (though they never make him a Spirit Detective, I guess there can only be one) and they recruit him for the next mission: rescue an ice maiden who cries pearls from the depraved billionaires of the Black Black Club. Kuwabara refuses to go until he sees this maiden. We already knew he had a thing for blue-haired girls but one look at her and goodbye Botan, helloooooo Yukina. Amazingly she thinks his naivete's cute and she returns to root for him in the Dark Tournament, though she doesn't realize she loves him back for a while. There's just one snag: she's Hiei's long-lost sister. She doesn't know, Hiei does, and he's the last guy you wanna piss off.

The Dark Tournament
Kuwabara fights six times in the Dark Tournament, more than anyone else, and goes 3-3. This gets some great commentary in the anime since his "too cool for this" older sister Shizuru's* watching making fun of her stupid brother (in the manga it's Yusuke's mom). The two important ones are Risho and Elder Toguro. The second round is a team fight against mind-controlled opponents. Kuwabara sees their tragic backstory in a dream, how a mad scientist tricked them into giving up their bodies to cure their master's illness, and refuses to attack them, so he's badly hurt. But in the third round, the enemy team's patron bribes the tournament officials to start the next match IMMEDIATELY, and the round comes down to him vs the slimy ninja Risho. Risho's about to kill him when Yukina appears and cheers him on, and he instantly recovers, does some dorky poses and wins with the power of love.

*Their parents are barely around. We don't even see them until the epilogue, and it seems like Shizuru's the adult in the house.

When Toguro kills Genkai the others don't tell him. This backfires hard.

In the last round, Kuwabara faces the even slimier Elder Toguro (as in "the other Toguro's elder brother"). Elder Toguro's weak but he can stretch, regenerate and reshape his body at will, think Mr. Fantastic meets body horror. He tortures Kuwabara until he figures how to shape his sword into a Spirit Flyswatter that can hit his whole body at once (one comment said it's both the coolest and lamest attack in YYH and I agree). But the worst damage he does is telling Kuwabara Genkai's been dead for days and he's the last to know.

He walks over to Yusuke and punches him. Yusuke explains he didn't tell the others either, they figured out themselves. He couldn't tell anyone because if he did, it'd be real, and he feels bad for Kuwabara but he can't apologize for doing the only thing he knew. Kuwabara just says "win this" and Yusuke goes to the final battle. When Yusuke can't win the disappointed (and secretly suicidal) Toguro decides to kill his friends to unlock his power and starts with Kuwabara. Kuwabara realizes his wound won't kill him and plays along, and it works.

Chapter Black Arc: The Legendary Super Sword
Kuwabara loses his powers after the Tournament and everyone thinks he burned them out with the powerup he used to beat Elder Toguro. Really, his spirit energy is so sensitive it sees Sensui's plan coming and it's evolving to handle it, like when Windows updates and you can't use your computer all day :D . When Sensui's minion Seaman traps him and his school friends in another dimension his powers awaken, and just his luck, his new Dimension Sword can cut them out of there. He drags Seaman back to Yusuke's place to interrogate him but also help him with his wound, which starts Seaman's journey back to the light. But that's the exact power Sensui's been looking for to complete his portal to Demon World, so he kidnaps him.

Sensui's right-hand man traps the whole team in another dimension so he can fight Yusuke alone, but when Yusuke dies Kuwabara regains the Dimension Sword and they follow Sensui. Sensui baits them into a situation where they have to either open the Demon World hole or let him walk free, so Kuwabara cuts it open. He, Kurama and Hiei fight Sensui and don't get anywhere (but it's the only time the cast is useless so it's actually shocking compared to shows where it happens all the time).

Three Kings Arc: High School Never Ends
When Yusuke leaves for Demon World Kuwabara's angry. Even he thinks leaving Earth cause Demon World has strong guys is an incredibly dumb idea and he's also just betrayed, especially with Kurama and Hiei going too. He doesn't want to go himself but he considers it because he doesn't know what he'd do without his friends. Yusuke's problem is he can't commit to anything, Kuwabara's is he can't get motivated alone. Every time he excels in the series it's cause someone needs him or someone's watching. His grades suck but when his friend needed him to study he could suddenly pull an all-nighter and pass the test. He's always trying to catch up to Yusuke when Yusuke can't study or spirit-sense his way out of a paper bag. And he never once has a fight where his friends aren't watching.

Then Yusuke and Shizuru learn his hidden hopes: he wants to go to a prestigious university prep school (in Japan getting into a high school can be like getting into college) even though he has less than a year to improve his grades. Shizuru convinces him to do what HE wants for a change and Yusuke says he'll kiss his boots if he's top of his class in three years. That means Kuwabara's out of the Three Kings arc and doesn't come back until the epilogue. It's out of left field (trust me, he's been a MORON all series) but it makes sense that he never had a reason to bring it up before.

A year and a half later we learn he got in by a hair. Everyone wants to know him but just for the novelty; you predict one earthquake and everyone thinks you're Earthquake Boy for the rest of high school. Yukina suddenly moves in with his family (because Genkai's dying and she has nowhere else to go, though we don't know that at first) and they're definitely an item.

Build Notes
Kuwabara's only PL 10 unlike the others who are all PL 11. That doesn't mean he's "useless" like he'd be in some other shows, he's just not quite where the others are.

Kuwabara has control vs Yusuke's power, so while he's not as strong unarmed he can make a sword that can stretch and bend or even turn into a polearm. Against Elder Toguro he used the Sword of Trials, which let him change its shape however he wanted, but he abandons it later. Near the end his sword evolves into the Dimension Sword, which looks like a more solid European sword. It's unclear if it can cut through anything but Sensui couldn't take his attacks, so it probably can. Even if it can't he can still escape pocket dimensions and (in the epilogue) cut imprecise portals. He can never use it on command unless he's really fired up.

He does tons of one-time stunts with his sword, like dual-wielding or spraying sharp blasts.

He can sense spirit energy better than anyone and by the end of the series he's a full-on psychic, seeing people's past in dreams and getting premonitions months before something big goes down.

He has the most friends outside the main cast (another bit of realism, Kuwabara and Kurama actually hang out with kids besides the team, though obviously they aren't nearly as close) and he boosted his grades to get into a great high school in one year and still had time to train, more things Yusuke can't do. I chalk that last part more up to Will than INT, since he slogs through brutal fights too; his high Toughness is his ability to take a beating, not shrug off attacks.

The kicker is his talents don't match his personality at all. You'd think a psychic swordsman would be stoic or vengeful but he's the most "angry toddler" guy on the show. He's a total dumbass obsessed with manly honor and chivalry (he calls Yukina "my love" all the time) even though he doesn't take himself too seriously. He's clumsy moving and talking. His personality section on the wiki starts with "Kuwabara is consistently described as being stupid and ugly" which is a little harsh but accurate*. The difference is the other characters know he's silly so it's lovable, not grating. The dub takes it up to 11 with Chris Sabat (Vegeta, Piccolo, Zoro, All Might) doing a RIDICULOUS voice you have to hear to believe and it fits so well.

*And apparently hard to draw; I saw some Kuwabara fanart hunting for these images where he's good-looking and it's CREEPY. I don't think he works in the new OVA either, I haven't seen it but modern anime art makes him look too clean.

And yet he's the only one to go to college. Guess people surprise you.
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

Yeah, in any other Shonen series, Yusuke would be the one with the sword and Kuwabara would be the one punching everything. Then again, Hiei is really "the swordsman" of the group if you have to go by accuracy, skill and speed. It's actually kind of interesting to have to such radically different "sword guys" on the same squad.

It was kind of nice the Kuwabara actually decided "Look, I don't mind fighting to save the world, but I don't want to make a career out of this". He's happy to help his friends or save people, but he's got no aspirations to be The World's Greatest Swordsman or Most Powerful Psychic or anything. In a lot of ways, despite his immense psychic talent, he's the most grounded and normal of the bunch.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
MarvelLion

Post by MarvelLion »

Nice job with Kuwabara! He's easily my favorite character. Despite being less than bright, he's lovable and clearly the heart of the team, even getting grudging respect from Hiei every now and then. Also, I'm a sucker for characters who refuse to give up. And as Ares said, he's a very grounded person, which makes him even more likable, in my opinion.
EternalPhoenix

Post by EternalPhoenix »

I love Yu Yu Hakusho. These first two builds are great and the comments with them are better still. I can't wait for Hiei and Kurama.
The Phoenixverse (A 2e OC 'verse!)
The Archetype Blendarama!
The Phoenixverse 3E Conversions
You, Dear Reader, may comment on any build at any time. I will be happy regardless.
CoyoteUnion

Coyote Den: Kurama (Yoko added)!

Post by CoyoteUnion »

Kurama (PL 10, 188 PP)

First Appearance: Yu Yu Hakusho #20 (Early 1991)
Role: Smart Stoic Pretty Boy, Scary Hero, Skillmonkey (in a shonen?)

Abilities (76 PP)
STR 6 STA 6 AGL 3 DEX 5 FGT 6
INT 4 AWA 4 PRE 4

Skills (34 PP)
Acrobatics 6 (+9)
Close Combat [Rose Whip] 4 (+10)
Deception 8 (+12)
Expertise [Plants] 4 (+8)
Insight 10 (+14)
Intimidation 8 (+12)
Investigation 4 (+8)
Perception 6 (+10)
Persuasion 6 (+10)
Sleight of Hand 8 (+13)
Stealth 4 (+7)

Advantages (10 PP)
Accurate Attack
Attractive
Benefit (Cipher)
Defensive Attack
Diehard
Eidetic Memory
Evasion
Quick Draw
Speed of Thought
Well-Informed

Powers (41 PP)
Plant Control [30]
  • Death Seed (Subtle Improved Critical IV Fortitude Damage 10, Triggered five turns after attack hits) [26]
  • Rose Whip (Improved Critical II Reach II Penetrating Strength-based Damage 4) [1]
  • Petal Whirlwind (Burst Area Damage 6) [1]
  • Plant Growth (Growth 8 Affects Objects Only, Limited to Plants, Increasing Size Only) [1]
  • Deus Ex Planta (Variable 2 [different kinds of plants]) [1]
Closed Mind (Immunity 5 [mind reading]) [5]
Demon Body (Immunity 2 [critical hits]) [2]

Offense
Death Seed +6 (Fort DC 25 Crit 16-20)
Petal Whirlwind (Area DC 21)
Rose Whip +10 (DC 25 Crit 18-20)
Throw +5 (DC 21)
Unarmed +6 (DC 21)

Defense (28 PP)
Dodge 14, Parry 13, Fortitude 10, Toughness 6, Will 10

Complications
Relationship: Kurama has a family who doesn't know he's a demon or a fighter, and his enemies frequently find them. He's especially close to his mom.
Flowery Heart: Kurama can't resist hurting people who prey on the weak, and he'll fall for sob stories despite his normal cunning.
Old Evil: While he doesn't transform into Yoko Kurama against his will, his personality becomes similar once a month, and when he spends time with people from his past.

Shuichi Minamino
Kurama shows up in Yusuke's first case, when he, Hiei and another demon named Goki steal magic artifacts from Spirit World's vaults. He's a cipher even to Spirit World and he stole the Dark Mirror which can grant any wish at a cost. However, he leaves them pages after they show up and Yusuke's sudden appearance distracts them before they can stop him.

He intercepts Yusuke the moment after he beats Goki, but all he does is take him to his house, where he somehow has a human mother who thinks he's an ordinary high school student named Shuichi Minamino. We learn he was a bandit, a fox demon (yoko) who almost died 15 years ago and sent his soul into an unborn fetus. He meant to leave his new family when he recovered his powers at age 10 but his mother got scarred protecting him and his father died. She has a new boyfriend but she's on death's door and he's going to use the Darkness Mirror to save her, even though it will cost his life. But Yusuke saw his mom after his own death and he can't let Kurama do that to his, so he joins the ritual and they each give up half their life. In return, when Hiei's about to kill Yusuke he suddenly shows up, takes the blow and blinds his Evil Eye with his blood.

Once Yusuke gets Genkai's training and gets tapped to fight the Four Saint Beasts, Kurama and Hiei unexpectedly return and we establish two important things. First, Kurama and Hiei are on probation and have to follow Spirit World's orders. Second, Hiei forgives Kurama cause even that cocky little shit would rather be with him than against him (and that clearly wasn't their first mission together, they know each other too well). He can turn an ordinary rose into a Rose Whip that cuts through stone like butter, which considering the first Beast is made of stone is very effective. But the Beast sucker-punches him so bad at the start he can't fight anyone else.

Togashi makes both the good guy demons mysterious in different ways. We know Kurama's backstory and some of his personality but it's still hard to read him and we don't even learn his powers until his second arc. You only see what Kurama wants you to see. Compare Hiei, whose personality's obvious but he has a hidden past.

Pull Back the Canopy
Kurama really comes into his own as a character in the Dark Tournament. He and Hiei train Kuwabara, though Kurama's the more vicious teacher.

His first-round fight proves Toguro's not the only one to worry about in the Tournament: Roto's weak but he has friends, and one of them's tailing his parents and will kill them at the press of a button! Roto cuts him and cruelly insults him and all he can do is kick pebbles at him, but he keeps a calm face. He won't give him the satisfaction. Besides, he has a plan. That "pebble" was actually a seed and the roots have spread throughout his body. Now HE'S the one with the magic button. And people like Roto deserve to die. The plant flowers and bursts out all over his body, and Kurama declares the blood of evildoers produces the most beautiful flowers.

And so we finally know who Kurama is. He's a pretty boy who controls plants. His real power is pulling new powers out of his ass. And he's compassionate towards innocent people. So compassionate that if you hurt innocents you better run, because there is NOTHING he won't do if it's necessary to stop you. And none of that's obvious until now cause he doesn't advertise it, he's not an edgelord like Hiei or the legion of other "ruthless" pretty boys in anime. He seems like a completely normal boy, good student, loves his mom, and that's all true, but then you watch him pass divine judgement the first time. He's the only shonen hero who actually scares me.

In the third round his enemy sacrifices himself to curse him, sealing his plant powers and adding a 600-pound weight. But in this round the winner fights the next team member immediately and Touya is an experienced ice master. All anyone else could do is run but he plants the same seed in his own body; his energy's stuck there but not gone. When it flowers it stabs him. The strain knocks Kurama out... but he's still standing in the ring, and the bribed organizers make him "fight" again. The asshole jobber Bakken beats the shit out of him and doesn't stop until his boss wisely realizes Yusuke will break the rules and kill him if he goes any further.

In the semis they fight a "fractured fairytale" team, but of course they're all Japanese fairy tales so no one's ever heard of them. Kurama's opponent is Ura Urashima ("Reverse Urashima"), based off a Rip van Winkle-type character. He takes advantage of Kurama's compassion, pretending to be a criminal against his will before hitting him with his power: as Reverse Urashima he can make people younger even before birth. It's an insanely overpowered attack against anyone who didn't possess a fetus and grow up in his body (you just KNOW some gamer out there would try to take that as a "limit" :lol:). Shuichi Minamino gets youthened away. Enter Yoko Kurama.

See, we've learned by now that Kurama used to be a BIG DEAL. Multiple Dark Tournament fighters know who he used to be, though they think he just has the same name. Urashima instantly recognizes his original self. Most evil sides in anime are about the main character becoming completely different, or learning to get along with this guy in their heads who's nothing like them (or they're just edgy). Yoko Kurama talks and acts exactly like his regular self with only one difference: Kurama uses his mind and his cold, cruel streak to punish those who hurt others. Yoko Kurama uses it for himself. It's such a thin line. He is, of course, much stronger than the original*.

That's demonstrated in his fight with Karasu. Team Toguro's been built up the whole tournament, with single members wiping out whole teams. Kurama can't win, but the same man who gave Kuwabara his Sword of Trials also gave him a liquid form of Urashima's gas. It's a creepy fight. Both are sadists who toy with the other whenever they get the upper hand and it's also weirdly sexual; Karasu gets off on the "connection between murderer and victim" (he strokes his hair before the match) and the demon plants' mouths look pretty vaginal. But Kurama doesn't realize he's building up a tolerance to the youth drug so his form runs out early, and he has to risk his life to win. He does but he doesn't know he's already lost the ten-count so the dead Karasu "wins".

*And sexier if you're a catgirl: the announcer calls him a love god and says her weekend's ruined when he turns back to normal!

Event Horizon
When Genkai sets up a simulation against psychic opponents where force is useless, Kurama's predictably the only "survivor". He also helps Seaman turn good again. But he doesn't do much until near the end of the arc.

Sensui forces the team to fight "Gamemaster", who can make video games real, to stall them. It's an unusual take on that power cause instead of an FPS or a fantasy game like you'd expect, Gamemaster likes party games. He takes the role of the Demon King and they have to beat him and his summoned minions in games like tennis, shooting, puzzles, etc. Sounds like a lighthearted break before the final battle, right? Kurama realizes a few things: first, Gamemaster will die if he loses a game where his character dies; second, he clearly doesn't know this; third, Sensui told him to play this specific game, betting on the team realizing and being too guilty to kill him, so they'll never make it out of his room before the Demon World tunnel is open.

Gamemaster is 11 years old.

Kurama is Gamemaster's last opponent. He can't beat him. So he tells him everything he figured out, how his cool older friend Sensui set him up to die, and predicts exactly what Sensui said to manipulate him. It shakes him up just like he wanted and minutes later our hero's killed a little boy in cold blood.

Kurama fights Gourmet, who can eat people and gain their powers, and cuts off his head in 1/50 of a second for the fastest kill in anime history. He knows who's really in control. He can smell Elder Toguro's stench anywhere. Elder Toguro's head grotesquely emerges from the bottom of Gourmet's and the sickest villain in the series starts gloating but Kurama's had enough of this bullshit. He traps him in eternal hell, a hallucinogenic plant that continues their fight until the victim starves... but Elder Toguro can't starve. He can't even kill himself.

Three Kings Saga: An Old Friend
Kurama's surprised to learn his reckless old partner Yomi turned into a calculating, soft-spoken King. Yomi still trusts his judgement and recruits him, even letting him attend school and call his family from Demon World. He's not toothless though, he's tracking Kurama's family at all times and has a parasite demon holding his little stepbrother hostage. He learned from the best. Yomi brings Kurama to a room where he tortures the man who blinded him a thousand years ago and reveals he knows Kurama hired him to kill him for his stupidity. Yomi doesn't have a grudge even though the assassin blinded him. He needed that lesson.

Yoko's getting stronger too. He doesn't need the liquid to transform anymore and every month he takes on his personality, though he doesn't transform against his will. Meeting Yomi again just made it worse.

Kurama promises Yomi he can give him six S-ranked fighters to earn his favor and he does by having Genkai train the most popular Dark Tournament characters. He uses them to go independent when Yusuke offers his tournament (it's implied he recruited some of Yomi's other heavy-hitters too) and Yomi can't afford to stop him right then. He doesn't get very far in the tournament. In the anime it's because he rejects his Yoko form, and while it isn't in the manga it's consistent with his character.

Kurama plays the smallest role in the epilogue. He's moved back to Earth and helps Yusuke with his detective work. There's a great scene where he goes to school with Kuwabara and everyone thinks he's his girlfriend. Then Yusuke asks him to sneak into an all-girls school... Once he graduates he goes to work for his stepdad's company.

Build Notes
Kurama stands out on this team. The other three are shoot-first-ask-later brawlers with simple powers that come under cost, then you have this smart, socially adept skillmonkey with a Variable. And thank God for it or the others would've been killed long ago.

Kurama imbues plants with his ki to make them grow and change. He can use one transformation per kind of plant but considering how many plants there are that's not much of a limit, and he has a new one almost every fight. His basic attack is the Rose Whip, but he can also release razor-sharp petals. When he plants his Death Seed in a target, it germinates and kills them from the inside 5 rounds later. With his demonic body he can survive more damage than a human (people punch through his and Hiei's guts and they survive). In theory you could take these seeds away from him but no one ever does and you can't see them hidden in his hair. He even knows how to silence his mind so telepaths can't tell what he's thinking. Most of his stunts are afflictions of some kind like the Sinning Tree.

Kurama uses Skills in combat more than other anime fighters. He tricks you then he scares you, and you never know everything he can do. You only see the emotions he wants you to see: he killed a little boy and Elder Toguro had to read his mind to know he was guilty. His only mental weaknesses are (a) he wants to see the good in people so if you pretend to be good you might trick him, and (b) he's cautious at the start, but if he thinks he's won (reasonable with his planning skills and broken powers) he gets sloppy. Physically he's much weaker than his friends without his plants.

Interestingly he's one of the few shonen heroes with a superhero-esque secret identity. Unfortunately for him it's more realistic because it seems like any random demon with intel can threaten his family. Sadly we don't see enough of that family to know how his double life affects them. Can't have everything.

Yoko Kurama (PL 11, 244 PP)
First Appearance: Yu Yu Hakusho #81 (Mid 1992)
Role: Evil Side, Manipulator, Master Criminal

Abilities (82 PP)
STR 6 STA 6 AGL 3 DEX 5 FGT 7
INT 4 AWA 5 PRE 5

Skills (36 PP)
Acrobatics 6 (+9)
Close Combat [Rose Whip] 4 (+11)
Deception 8 (+13)
Expertise [Plants] 4 (+8)
Insight 10 (+15)
Intimidation 8 (+13)
Investigation 4 (+8)
Perception 6 (+11)
Persuasion 6 (+11)
Sleight of Hand 8 (+13)
Stealth 8 (+11)

Advantages (14 PP)
Accurate Attack
Assessment
Attractive 2
Benefit (Cipher)
Connected
Contacts
Defensive Attack
Diehard
Eidetic Memory
Evasion
Fascinate (Intimidation)
Quick Draw
Speed of Thought
Well-Informed

Powers (84 PP)
Plant Control [72]
  • Summon Demon Plant (Heroic Controlled Mental Link Summon Plant Monsters 11, Concentration) [67]
  • Death Seed (Subtle Improved Critical IV Fortitude Damage 1, Triggered five turns after attack hits) [1]
  • Rose Whip (Improved Critical II Reach II Penetrating Strength-based Damage 5) [1]
  • Petal Whirlwind (Burst Area Damage 6) [1]
  • Plant Growth (Growth 8 Affects Objects Only, Limited to Plants, Increasing Size Only) [1]
  • Deus Ex Planta (Variable 3 [different kinds of plants]) [1]
Closed Mind (Immunity 5 [mind reading]) [5]
Demon Body (Immunity 3 [aging, critical hits]) [3]

Offense
Death Seed +6 (Fort DC 26 Crit 16-20)
Petal Whirlwind (Area DC 21)
Rose Whip +11 (DC 26 Crit 18-20)
Throw +5 (DC 21)
Unarmed +7 (DC 21)

Defense (27 PP)
Dodge 14, Parry 13, Fortitude 10, Toughness 6, Will 10

Complications
Amoral: Imagine being controlled by someone who would hurt anyone to get what he wanted and how that could screw up your life. That's Yoko.
Reputation: Yoko Kurama has been famous for a thousand years. He has many old enemies and the powers that be want to control or kill him.

Yoko (it's not really a name, just an adjective, but they're both named Kurama so I have to tell them apart somehow) is stronger than normal, but the biggest difference is his Summon. In this form he doesn't have to turn Earth plants demonic, he can control Demon World plants directly, which are apparently all big monsters with tons of tentacles and mouths. He makes a monster and lets it do the fighting.

Regular Kurama is really Yoko's soul mixed with whoever Shuichi Minamino would have been. That explains a lot about his personality; he's a thousand years old but he's also 15. It also means Yoko is literally Kurama minus his humanity. He seems like the kind of evil side who schemes behind your back and doesn't care if he wrecks your relationships. But he's also ambitious. He even wanted to build a country when he was young, though it's unclear if he still does. Togashi was starting to explore that in the Three Kings arc but because it was so rushed and the main cast was separated it didn't hit its full potential (see, I CAN say bad things about YYH!).

This is one of those quirks of M&M power scaling. In canon Yusuke's clearly stronger by the end of each arc, even with the demon plant, but I feel like this version might beat him. Kurama can also use some of his power and even at one point his appearance by the end of the series, and he might be able to use it all someday, but this build keeps a wider gap between them. I like it this way, it makes Yoko much more threatening.

Also Yoko Ono's name is written completely differently (Wikipedia says it means "ocean child") and the name "Kurama" has nothing to do with foxes, Kurama from Naruto's just named after him. ;)
Last edited by CoyoteUnion on Fri Jun 17, 2022 5:57 am, edited 4 times in total.
Davies

Post by Davies »

<takes notes>
"I'm sorry. I love you. I'm not sorry I love you."
EternalPhoenix

Post by EternalPhoenix »

Oh, yes. Take many notes of Kurama. YYH has one of the finest shounen main casts ever. Take notes because this is how it is done. :mrgreen:
You, Dear Reader, may comment on any build at any time. I will be happy regardless.
CoyoteUnion

Post by CoyoteUnion »

It's been a HECTIC couple weeks, life changes happening.

After Hiei no YYH for a while, as much as I wanna build Genkai and Toguro I've been thinking about it for a month now and I'm burned out. :P

@Ares I've never read Hellboy but that's the vibe I get, they sound fun together. And you're right about the goals. No one in this show has a Big Goal except maybe Hiei, and his isn't about fighting. Yusuke hates training even though he knows it's good for him and he only does it when his bosses make him or someone's out to kill him. Maybe that's why they feel more real, they aren't one-track people.

@Jab
  • I have a ton of Supporting Character B's, cause they're just more interesting than the main character! But when people actually expect the supporters to win it gets a bit ridiculous. The ultimate example is Vegeta. Vegeta's at LEAST 0-10 versus main villains by now, but every new Dragon Ball Super arc some people STILL think he's gonna beat the arc villain this time, this HAS to be when they break the formula. It's like... dude... Thank god for fanfic.
  • I prefer the Gotta Get Into Fighting Tournaments part, but YYH is really character-driven so it feels just like the early stuff to me, and its plots were always simple, it's the twists and character interactions that make it. So it's different from a lot of shows that focus less and less on the characters later on. It was way different when he was still dead but we didn't have Kurama, Hiei or Genkai and we barely had Kuwabara. Not that Koenma and Botan aren't great but it's not the same.
  • I guess it's (a) he's in a magazine for teen boys instead of on TV where everyone can see him, and (b) he doesn't do many crimes on-screen, especially once he comes back to life. It's mostly cut in the anime too. We know he does it but not in front of us.
  • YYH wasn't as big over here but it must've been really big in Japan because it sold 50 million volumes. If it ran as long as most big shonen it would've cracked 100 mil easy, which only a few manga ever have (Fist of the North Star is right at 100).
@MarvelLion Kuwabara's such a good underdog and he actually gets wins on people you don't think he can beat. I thought he was done for with Elder Toguro but he pulled through.

@Davies <copies notes>

@EternalPhoenix Oh yeah it does. I'm gonna get more into how the cast's different from other shonen when I do Luffy two builds from now, and why I won't/can't go QUITE as in-depth on other series' characters and tell you everything they've ever done. But Yusuke and Kurama specifically I can't think of anyone else in shonen who feels like them. Kuwabara and Hiei have equivalents in other shows (usually not as fleshed out) but not those two for some reason. Ichigo's kinda like Yusuke but ehh.
Last edited by CoyoteUnion on Fri Jun 17, 2022 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CoyoteUnion

Post by CoyoteUnion »

Added Yoko Kurama
EternalPhoenix

Post by EternalPhoenix »

CoyoteUnion wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 4:26 am @EternalPhoenix Oh yeah it does. I'm gonna get more into how the cast's different from other shonen when I do Luffy two builds from now, and why I won't/can't go QUITE as in-depth on other series' characters and tell you everything they've ever done. But Yusuke and Kurama specifically I can't think of anyone else in shonen who feels like them. Kuwabara and Hiei have equivalents in other shows (usually not as fleshed out) but not those two for some reason. Ichigo's kinda like Yusuke but ehh.
Yusuke I think hasn't inspired a single copycat that's made it on my radar, which is astonishing in an industry that rips off everyone and everything. Ichigo's in the neighborhood, but not quite the same. He had some of the personality traits but a whole different major issue holding him back (self acceptance is hard, brother, especially when your other half is a lil' bit psychotic) and he certainly wasn't a proper shithead delinquent.

Kurama's been tried but they always screw it up by making him "secretly cruel all along", make them a variant of a tsundere, or slowly abandon intellect and strategy in fights instead of shouty bois slapping meat so a specialist in those is boned. All of which are missing the whole entire point of Kurama. He really is that good natured and kind young man. He just doesn't have a single solitary problem with paying evil unto evil tenfold. And he is profoudly badass.

Togashi's like a wizard. After a certain point I can't stand HunterxHunter, but I acknowledge that it's fantastic. I do not know how he builds narrative and character arc expectations and then casually subverts them while having all of it still make perfect sense and still be that high quality of writing. Wizardry, I swear.