Tales from the Trails (Soulbound) - Ashes of Petram

For all of your Play-By-Post games.
Vivid

Re: Tales from the Trails (Soulbound) - Ashes of Petram

Post by Vivid »

Lady Moira Sterling

Moira nods at Sashura's explanation of events. The Deceiver sounded... formidable. She glanced at the large form of Bearrage knowing even the kodiak wouldn't stand up to such a thing, as described, for long.

"It'll give me another chance to test the rounds." Moira admits.

She turns to Ericka. "I'm not sure about 'nest', but there are tracks. If you cover me for Haunts, I'll turn Bearrage into Raptage and scout for him that way. Something that big should be spotted from the air. It didn't throw spikes or anything, did it?" she asks.

She'll first duplicate Bearrage, then Transform [Prime] into a raptor and give it the signals for tracking the large beast, trusting her fellow wielders if any haunts are created.
I could roll but, at most, two Haunts might be generated and a vigilant crew could take them out easy. (I understand the Duplicate bear might disappear in an hour while following the creature.

What would the roll to follow the tracks might air be? This would coincide with the group making their way toward it.
Gunmetal_Rainbow

Post by Gunmetal_Rainbow »

Moira is able to get a solid handle on the large barrel-sized tracks as they head a bit north into the trees. Once they hit the treeline, the path makes itself far more obvious as trees are displaced in the deciever's path and it's not long before they start feeling a rumble under thier feet. The group is close, and through her raptor, Moira can pinpoint the monster, giving the party an advantage in how they would attempt to approach.

The beast is quite large, hunch-spined and still three times the size of an adult male. It's arms are heavily muscled, near as thick as the larger trees around, nearly as long as the entirety of its body, and look like they could stomp a human flat. Each is capped with the hoove-like tips you've come for. It's rear legs seem almost comically small by comparison, it's entire lower body not quite as large as one massively muscled arm.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yiNgwb ... sp=sharing for a picture of the warchmogger.
Otherwise, roll Recovery and i'll set up a roll20 map.
Vivid

Post by Vivid »

Lady Moira Sterling
Moira AT: 4
Raptage AT: 3

Assuming it takes more than an hour to track the Devourer, Moira has created a duplicate gun and loaded it with normal rounds to start with.
Flynnarrel

Re: Tales from the Trails (Soulbound) - First journey

Post by Flynnarrel »

Lloyd Millhaus
AT: _3__ || Wounds: 7/7 || Casting: 6D6
Which direction is its front facing hex(es)?
How close can we start to it?
Edit: Answered

Sneak(Agi): 7D6 = [2, 3, 3, 6, 5, 1, 6] = 26

3 success, he can start 4 hexes away
The practiced Woodsman was silent as he moved through the trees to flank the creature.

All at once he invoked the magics of Heartwood both to encourage the growth of the plants in the area to help his friends get into attack range and to create spectral bark around himself as a shield.
Action - Fertile (Linked, Dart): cunning: 6D6 = [5, 2, 5, 3, 6, 5] = 26
Active w/ no Haunts
Reminder, Fertile: When allies take Move action over a patch of Fertile the growth does not count toward the tiles they Move (though AT still needs to be spent for Move, includes Charging). Also, any allies ON the Fertile ground roll defenses at +1d (when they take the defense reaction, includes Parry). One other ally in 6 paces of Lloyd can also use Fertile (Dart) to put a second patch (No roll or AT needed, but DOES take your action) somewhere within 6 spaces of them.

Free Action - Attuned Shielding: cunning: 6D6 = [4, 1, 5, 6, 2, 6] = 24
Active, no haunts
Shielding: Get a free Defense reaction at 7d (+1 if on patch of fertile)
"Something pithy this way comes."
Vivid

Post by Vivid »

Moira could not get close at all.
The totem couldn't get close either.
I also can't control the Raptor icon.
Flynnarrel

Post by Flynnarrel »

Vivid wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 1:49 am
I also can't control the Raptor icon.
I adjusted who can control it. You should have use of the token now.
Doctor Malsyn

Post by Doctor Malsyn »

Ericka Akcire
AT: 4 | W: 5/5
Resistances: 6/2/2/3

Cunning: Duplicate 1 success (Whoa, that was close.)
Agility 3 success (Improbable, but acceptable.)
Recovery 2+2(quickdraw) success

Ericka approached from a more discreet position then she was used to, nerves nearly messing up her casting to pull Enimeg from her heart.
Am I dead? Am I alive? The answer may surprise you!
------------
"What a week, huh?" "Doc, it's only Wednesday."
Prof Weird

Post by Prof Weird »

Sashura Vlasova
ATs : 5

"That's - a REALLY big critter !" Sashura noted to herself, figuring that the only weapon she had that MIGHT be able to hurt something that big was her lance, Chelydra.

So she used her Hand chalk and readied her family's legacy weapon. And called upon its Shielding power, figuring it would be best to have it up BEFORE anyone got close to that thing !
Recovery (with advantage due to Chalk) :Recovery check 9/7: 5#1d6t4 0 1 1 1 0 - 3 plus one is 4 AT.
Agility check (how close can get safely) : Agility/Stealth check: 4#1d6t5 1 0 0 1 - 2 successes. Can get up to 6 hexes away from the Deceiver.
Activating Shielding : Shield activation atttempt: 5#1d6t5 0 0 0 0 0 - NO SUCCESSES ! Shield up, but at least one Haunt congeals out of the badly cast magics ...
Free Action - Focus. Gain 1 AT.
Last edited by Prof Weird on Tue Sep 14, 2021 2:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Arkrite

Post by Arkrite »

Grigor "Dog" Geddings
AT: 5 Wounds: 5/5

Dog sneaks around behind Lloyd, keeping his distance as he wasn't planning on taking his sword to the creature.
His hand resting on his flintlock pistol, he waited for a good time to open fire.
OOC: Recovery for start of Deceiver Fight: 5d6 5d6: 19 [5d6=4, 3, 5, 4, 3]
One success, so 2 AT.
Recovery Check for first action in Deceiver Fight: 5d6 19 [5d6=5, 3, 4, 4, 3]
Huh, that's... the same rolls in a different order. So 2 AT.
Free action to focus on recover so one more AT
Doctor Malsyn

Post by Doctor Malsyn »

Ericka Akcire
AT: 4 | W: 5/5
Resistances: 6/2/2/3

Ericka breaths, centers herself, and draws in on her inner magic once again to coat her weapons with that strange petrifying aura.

Cunning (Petrification) Tier 4: 4 successes
Am I dead? Am I alive? The answer may surprise you!
------------
"What a week, huh?" "Doc, it's only Wednesday."
Gunmetal_Rainbow

While the wielders sneak in to set up, an unfortunate miscast from Sashura causes a pair of glittery haunts to appear and start making noise, as if knowing that the group was tryingot be as silent as possible.

This noise catches the attention of the warchmogger which bellows out in a strange, deep warbling sound that makes the air feel like it ripples for a moment, it's mask splitting open to the sides as it does, revealing the horrible grotesque human-like faces benieth before whirling wildly around uprooting the tree it was next to with frightening ease.
It recovers for its first turn, then uses turnabout for it's second which flips it 180 and attacks everything adjascent. I also added a red dot to the token to indicate where it's facing. This should help for the facing arcs! The red line in front of that red dot indicates which hexes are considered it's frontal arc for a more visual reference. Blue is it's rear arc, which a deciever cannot defend from.

I also adjusted the fertile markers so i could better see the grid. Just shrunk the icon and added an aura. Should work fine, yes?
Flynnarrel

Post by Flynnarrel »

Lloyd Millhaus
AT: _3>1__ || Wounds: 7/7 || Casting: 6D6
Shielding Activated

Lloyd will invoke magics of the acorn so that a spectral tree might take root if Heartwood finds purchase in fertile flesh and then charges forward. "Someone call weaknesses!" he shouts to his companions. He knew many deceivers had weaknesses to incapacitate a devastating attack it might have but didn't know about this kind.
Attack, Charge, Crushing, Collateral, Reach
attack w/Heartwood: 9D6 = [6, 3, 5, 1, 6, 3, 1, 2, 4] = 31

Not putting spoiler tag cuz it can't defend from rear hex attack I think. 4 total (advantage from charge). crushing will apply, if it takes dmg it looses AT.

Also if it takes damage activating Increased Gravity trick to try to pin it in place as a spectral tree roots itself seemingly through the deceiver.
cunning: 6D6 = [1, 3, 2, 4, 6, 4] = 20 got the 1 needed for no Haunts.
Vivid

Post by Vivid »

Gunmetal_Rainbow wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 1:15 pm I also adjusted the fertile markers so i could better see the grid. Just shrunk the icon and added an aura. Should work fine, yes?
I'm not seeing auras, I think those are only visible to those who have control of the token.
Lady Moira Sterling
Moira AT: 4>2>3
Raptage AT: 3>4
The Anatomy to determine weaknesses is 0AT but requires an action, right? Knowing we were going to face this thing could we have gotten that information prior to combat?
Moira fires twice then catches her breath.
2 shots, has advantage(firearms)(normal bullets): 11D6 = [4, 3, 5, 4, 2, 3, 2, 6, 1, 4, 4] = 38
11D6 = [6, 4, 6, 1, 5, 5, 1, 5, 3, 6, 4] = 46

first shot 6 successes, second shot 8 successes. (not the penetrating bullets)

incidental: Focus for +1AT
Raptor will do a reserved move. Flapping to gain altitude and move a bit closer so it is a bit above the thing's head level but still some distance off.
Recovery, only 6s count, no +1, Move @ move -2
moving recovery: 7D6 = [2, 3, 5, 4, 2, 3, 6] = 25 +1 AT
incidental: 'step' for a total of 6 hexes moved. (3 closer, 3 up)
Gunmetal_Rainbow

The anatomy test involved is based on analyzing the creature when you see it, so you can't really do it so much before being in its presense, close enough to observe.
Gunmetal_Rainbow

Lloyd's strike feels like he's striking steel, but he does manage to deal some damage, giving his arcane trick a chance to take root, holding the beast in place, at least momentarily. Who knows how well the spell will hold up to his behemoth's might.

Moira's bullets demonstrate why firearms are quickly becomming the new face of combat as she pumps two shos in quick succession into the deceiver, both landing and piercing its hide from the flank.