Tales from the Trails (Soulbound) - (Full)

For all of your Play-By-Post games.
Doctor Malsyn

Re: Tales from the Trails (Soulbound) - (Full)

Post by Doctor Malsyn »

Bridging huh? I was considering that, though it seemed more of a utility power. Wasn't sure if it'd be useful for our playstyle, but if you can make it work go for it.
Am I dead? Am I alive? The answer may surprise you!
------------
"What a week, huh?" "Doc, it's only Wednesday."
Flynnarrel

Post by Flynnarrel »

Yeah, but the question about it's activation is an intriguing one. I've read over it and I'm not certain. I can see that interpretation though.
"Something pithy this way comes."
Gunmetal_Rainbow

Post by Gunmetal_Rainbow »

Soooo, yeah.

Bridging is a Charm (Touch) power, so the interpretation is pretty much accurate. Charms "charge" your weapon with whatever the charm effect is and it goes off when you attack if you hit. It also means you can hold the charge to place the portal where you want within your weapon's capabilities. Thrown weapons with negate gravity are probably the most efficient use of the bridging power.

That being said, having Sigil makes it a lot more versatile since you can prepare them in advance since sigils don't go away until they are triggered, and you can put them on small things since the sigil has no defined necessary size (this has all been clarified with the dev by the way. We had been talking about using wind imbued to make jump boots and explosive arrows xD)

So you could have a stone with a sigil on it, give it to your raptor and have it deliver the stone to a location. You may set a trigger, or simply command it to activate. Sigil is SOOOOO versatile.

As for Animated for delivery of self detonating spears; animated uses your movement rate, and I'd say you could need someone to activate the self destruct mechanism, so I'm not sure how useful that would be for you. You'll probably get more milage out of Negate Gravity so you can throw your spear further.

Don't get me wrong, Animated is a fantastic power, especially paired with Duplicate Weapon. Not quite as, no pun intended, beastly as Totemic with Duplicate, but I've used Animated with Duplicate to amazing effect.
Vivid

Post by Vivid »

If Moira casts Bridging can one of the totems attack in one location and she attack the ground nearby to establish the portals?
Doctor Malsyn

Post by Doctor Malsyn »

I really wish these Volum mask stuff didn't look so... silly. The price of science, I suppose.
------------
Arkrite

Post by Arkrite »

You'll need to talk to the Guild of Silly Masks.
I'm sure they could help.
They won't help, but I'm sure they could if they wanted to.

A question for the GM. The Divine power indicates it grants automatic Energy successes. Does that mean that it's automatic damage bypassing armor, or does it need to go through the armor first?

I could actually bring the power up to rank three, and I'm tempted to do it, but it's a rank 5 Cunning Check. There's no way Dog will succeed perfectly on that one (He had 5 Cunning, but I don't like my odds), and I believe a complete failure will result in an enemy spawning.

Are the failures cumulative or do you have to fail at five or more in a single attempt to result in the evil creatures being spawned in?
Like if I had 3 existing failures resulting in those haunts running around, would another two failures result in a (I can't remember the name) bigger creature spawning in, or would I have to fail the prerequisite number of times in a single attempt?
Doctor Malsyn

Post by Doctor Malsyn »

See, it's Dog's low cunning that makes me tempted to go Arcanist instead, but Scholar fits Ericka more.
------------
Gunmetal_Rainbow

Vivid wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 1:50 am If Moira casts Bridging can one of the totems attack in one location and she attack the ground nearby to establish the portals?
You'd have to cast the charm on that totem specifically, but yes, it could then deliver the two portals to wherever ryou wanted them.
Arkrite wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 7:56 pm A question for the GM. The Divine power indicates it grants automatic Energy successes. Does that mean that it's automatic damage bypassing armor, or does it need to go through the armor first?
It does still have to go through Armor I'm afraid. There other instances of untyped damage that specify they are not affected by Armor, like Volcanic.
Arkrite wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 7:56 pm Are the failures cumulative or do you have to fail at five or more in a single attempt to result in the evil creatures being spawned in?
Like if I had 3 existing failures resulting in those haunts running around, would another two failures result in a (I can't remember the name) bigger creature spawning in, or would I have to fail the prerequisite number of times in a single attempt?
It's 5 in a single cast that brings out an abomination. You can fail by 4 as many times you want and just be swimming in haunts.
Doctor Malsyn

Post by Doctor Malsyn »

Perhaps I should surround Dog in a swarm of Kukri, and have them primed with readied attack-actions for haunt summoning. Would that be demeaning, or simply precautious? 🤔
------------
Gunmetal_Rainbow

Probably both. Lol
Vivid

Post by Vivid »

Can we 'ready' an attack in this game?
Doctor Malsyn

Post by Doctor Malsyn »

We've been doing that before whenever we've done low-risk haunt prevention. At least, we've done that outside of combat, I forget if we've tried while in.
------------
Vivid

Post by Vivid »

Good point.
Gunmetal_Rainbow

Outside of combat it's not a big deal since you're not really acting in any turn order.

In combat, there are no particular rules for it. If you wanted to prepare an action for something your ally does, you don't need to since you don't have to act in a specific intiative order. If you wanted to prepare to do something in reaction to the enemy's turn, I see no particular problem with it, though you'd still have to pay the AT cost of the action you are preparing.
Arkrite

Post by Arkrite »

Happy Birthday, Gunmetal_Rainbow!