Stories of the Betterverse: Anything Goes

For those who have a way with words.
betterwatchit

Re: Stories of the Betterverse

Post by betterwatchit »

Bad Medicine, Conclusion

Teleportal Chamber, Scarab's Lair...

Everything was still and quiet inside the Lair, until one of the teleportals started up and the Legacy appeared.

As they got out and the ventilation systems started up, Midnight said "It's good to know that the local teleportals still work."

Scarab said "Thanks. I'm lucky they still work! Because of all the disuse, I've only been able to get the long-range teleportals to work for a certain distance."

Freedom Eagle asked "How far can you get?"

"The cities I know we can reach without the risk of doing anything to the users are Atlanta, Boston, Chicago, Detroit, Gotham, Metropolis, Miami, Montreal, New York, Nova Scotia, Orlando, Ottawa, Quebec, St. Louis, Toronto and Washington D.C."

"That's still quite the reach! We can easily back up other East Coast teams if they need it, and even get stuff done around the Great Lakes and Canada if we have to!"

"I know. Now if you'll excuse me, I need some sleep. I've got university tomorrow. You know how the teleportals work, so you can show yourselves out."

Meanwhile, in Nifelheim, Antarctica...

Overshadow was monitoring his feeds when he saw a Freedom City broadcast showing a superheroine wearing a familiar costume. What he saw angered him. The Scarab! REBORN!

He pressed a button on his console, saying "This priority message is for all Penumbra members. I believe it is time to enact Operation Inundation again. You each have 30 days from now to prepare yourselves. I will require weekly status updates from each of you."
PP Rewards: The Legacy each get 2 PP.

Freedom Eagle gets an extra rank of Dangerous for his Gauntlets and Follow-Up Strike.

Lightbearer gets 2 ranks of Improved Critical for Light Control, raises Healing Touch to rank 8 and Lighting the Way to rank 12.

Midnight gets Inventor and two skill ranks in Technology, making it 2 (+4).

Scarab gets 2 skill ranks in Insight, making it 4 (+10) and converts the other PP into 5 EP. She puts 3 EP into an audio recorder, a camera and a flashlight. She spends the other 2 EP to reactivate most of the teleportals in her Lair. The teleportals are:

Local Teleportals: Teleport 10 (4 miles in a move action, carrying 50 lbs.)
Long-Range Teleportals: Teleport 10 (Carry 50 lbs.; Affects Others Only, Extended: 1000 miles in 2 move actions; Limited to Extended)
Last edited by betterwatchit on Sat Apr 10, 2021 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
betterwatchit

Post by betterwatchit »

The Battle of Baggins, Part 1

Griffin's House...

Griffin was checking his e-mail when the screen suddenly went white, then Annabelle appeared on it. She said "Good morning, Simon."

"Morning, Annabelle. It's always good to see you. What's going on?"

"You have an assignment. What do you know about the Realiser Ray?"

"I've heard quite a bit about that gun, actually. And I'm glad that there's only one of it on Earth. Created by the being called Quirk, it brings things to life and wherever it goes, utter madness follows. I've heard about one past user being a member of Los Zetas who used the Ray to 'realise' a Terminator to get his boss out of a police station. To my knowledge, the final result was 20 dead officers, five who still need constant medical attention and 30 crooks - cartel and otherwise - still on the run. Who’s got it right now?"

"His name is Larry West. According to our records, West was in the SAS before his dismissal for assaulting a superior officer. Before that, he served in Iraq. He plans to use the Ray to start World War Three! Your assignment is to acquire the Realiser Ray from him, however you can!"

"SAS means that he was in one of Earth's top spec-op forces. He won't back down easily. I have no problem beating him into submission. Besides, anyone with his background already knows what it means to risk his life on the field. Where is Mr. West now, and where is he going?"
Griffin does two Well-Informed rolls. He gets 20 on his target and 24 on the Realiser Ray.
"In five minutes, he's going to take a train from Charing Cross station to Rochester, where he plans to pick up a book from a shop called Baggins."

"I've been in Baggins before, it's the largest second-hand and rare book shop in England. You can get lost in there if you're not careful, which is really odd for a shop that small. What book is he picking up?"

"A book about Metal Gear Solid. Does that mean anything to you?"

"It certainly does! The mech mentioned inside, Metal Gear REX, is nuclear-capable! It can fire a warhead that's practically invisible to modern radar. It completely screws with the Mutually Assured Destruction doctrine that kept the Cold War from heating up! And I know the train you're on about! I've got half an hour to get to Woolwich Arsenal before Mr. West does. I'm going to board it and tail him. Use my new watch to tell me when he arrives."

"I understand."

"One last thing. I need to shut my laptop down, and I need the screen back to do it safely. Won't take me more than twenty seconds."

"Sorry about that. Good luck, Simon."

"Thanks, Annabelle."

Griffin put his sword in his new messenger bag, then he went into the garden at the back of his house, revealed his wings and took off for Woolwich, landing at a housing estate near Woolwich Arsenal station.

Woolwich Arsenal station, twenty-nine minutes later...

While Griffin was waiting for the train, Annabelle appeared on his watch, saying "Simon. The next train for Platform 2 is the one with Mr. West on board. He's at the rear carriage."

"Thanks, Annabelle. There's something I need to say."

"And that would be?

"I don't want Mr. West startled into doing something stupid. That means I can't risk having you appear until after someone makes a move. That's why I'm currently positioned so I'm at the front of the train when it stops."

"I understand. What I don't understand is why you only bought a single ticket."

"After all this gets resolved one way or another, I'm flying back. And that's our train coming now."
Last edited by betterwatchit on Wed Aug 23, 2023 8:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
betterwatchit

Post by betterwatchit »

The Battle of Baggins, Part 2

As the train passed Strood, Griffin said "We'll be in Rochester in a minute, Annabelle. What's Mr. West's description?"

That was when he received a text message with a withheld number.

Code: Select all

Caucasian male, mid-40s, green hooded sweatshirt, jeans, leather boots, tan backpack and messenger bag.

Rochester railway station...

As he exited the train, Griffin saw Mr. West, deciding to tail him. Good thing it was a bright Saturday afternoon, when a lot of people would be out and about. As they both left the station, Griffin decided to blend in with the crowds.
Griffin must win three contested rolls between his Stealth and Mr. West's Perception to reach Baggins without Mr. West clocking him. West's stats are those of an Elite Soldier from Gamemaster's Guide without the Assault Rifle. Griffin gets a +2 bonus for the crowd. He gets 16 and Mr. West gets a Natural 1.
Griffin made sure to use his hoodie and his phone to make it look like he wasn't focused on West.
Griffin got 19 on Stealth and Mr. West got 13.
Just before Mr. West entered Baggins, he suddenly turned around and faced Griffin, saying "How long have you been tailing me?!"
Griffin got 12 on Stealth and Mr. West got 14 on his Perception.
Griffin went "Since Charing Cross, you warmonger!"

West dropped what he had in his hand and ran inside.

Griffin saw what he dropped. GRENADE! He jumped on it and covered his ears before it went off, to keep the blast from causing more drama. Griffin might have been grenade-proof, but it still gave him quite a shock when it went off under him.

After the blast, Griffin got up. As he got his sword out of his bag, he went "I'm gonna f**k him up! I'm gonna f**k! Him! Up!"
Griffin recognised the grenade and is Impervious to the blast. He used Interpose to prevent others from being caught in the blast radius and Instant Up to quickly recover, getting a HP due to his Temper flaring up (grenades can't discriminate and West just threw one into a busy street).
As he went in, Griffin said "Anyone see where that psycho went?! He dropped a grenade outside then came in here!"

The old man at the till said "Upstairs, he's got a gun!"

"Don't worry, I have this! Call the police, tell them that two powers are having a fight! Now get out of here, it's gonna get messy! GO!"

As Griffin made it upstairs, he heard a weird noise and saw a smoke-filled room. He said "A smoke grenade on a wooden floor?! You've lost it, mate! You've gone and lost it!" His altered vision let him see through the smoke and realise what West just summoned. A Space Marine.

Griffin knew that going to be his first real swordfight. He saw the Space Marine draw the most iconic weapon of Warhammer 40K, the Chainsword. Now that thing was ridiculous. What if it ran out of juice?

The Marine said "By the Golden Throne! Where am I?!"
Roll Initiative! Griffin and the Space Marine both get 15 with Griffin going first.

Griffin and the Space Marine both get a HP for entering combat. They're both using lethal force.
The Space Marine has the stats of a Space Soldier from Cosmic Handbook without the Speed power, but with Chainsword: Damage 6, Penetrating 6, Dangerous, Impressive. The Space Marine also has Close Combat: Chainsword 6 (+10)
Griffin simply lunged at the Marine and was deflected by the Chainsword.
Griffin attacks with the Flurry of Steel, getting 17 and missing. The Space Marine attacks with the Chainsword, getting 20. Griffin gets 28 and resists.
The Space Marine punched Griffin and said "Heretic scum! You dare lay hands on a Space Marine?! In the Emperor's name, DIE!" Then he landed a cutting blow on Griffin's side, leaving quite a gash. Griffin roared in pain.
Griffin attacks with the Flurry of Steel, getting 27. The Space Marine gets 23 and resists. Then the Marine attacks Griffin and gets a natural 20, crit scored (+5 DC)! Griffin gets 24 and is hit.

Griffin: 1 Injury.
The Space Marine went "That should have killed you! Are you even human?!"
Griffin attacks with the Flurry of Steel, getting 26. The Marine gets 16 and spends a HP, getting 25 and resisting. The Marine attacks and gets 19. Griffin gets 17 and spends a HP, getting 23 and resisting.

Griffin: 2 HP. Marine: 1 HP
Griffin replied "I'm not sure, myself! Not that it matters!"
Griffin attacked with the Flurry of Steel, getting 30. The Marine gets 16 and spends a HP, getting 23 and resisting. The Marine then attacks, getting 20. Griffin gets 23 and resists.

Space Marine: 0 HP.
That was when Griffin finally drew blood, getting his blade into the Marine's arm.
Griffin attacks with the Flurry of Steel, getting 24. The Marine gets 18 and is hit and dazed. The Marine than attacks, getting 20. Griffin gets a Natural 20 and resists.

Space Marine: 1 Injury.
Griffin roared "This is it, you psycho!" as he lunged at the Space Marine, stabbing him Bates-style!
Griffin attacked with the Flurry of Steel, getting 24. The Marine got 22 and was hit. The Marine attacked and got 19. Griffin got 27 and resisted.

Space Marine: 2 Injuries.
Griffin went "Here's a dose of reality!" as he launched into the same combo he used to kill Hexenhammer. He started with a gut-shot, followed up with an impalement through the heart and finished off with beheading the Marine, who simply vanished into dust as the final blow landed.
Griffin does another Flurry of Steel, getting 25, while the Space Marine gets a Natural 1 and is killed! Fight's Over!
When Griffin got his breath back, he yelled "The Marine's dead! Surrender now or you're next!"

"Up yours!"

"You're not going to face me?! How dare you call yourself a soldier!"
Griffin Taunts Mr. West, getting 13. Mr. West gets 25 on his Will and resists.
"Ohhhh no! I'm not falling for that old gag! I was killing people while you were still in school, mate!"

That was when Griffin heard that weird noise again. Coming from West's position. He had little choice at that point. He ran in, and saw West by himself.

A massive ROAR could be heard outside!

Griffin asked West "What have you brought up now?!"

"A little something to keep you occupied while I get out of town! Look out the window!"

When Griffin looked, he went "No. No! NO!"

What Griffin saw was a dragon from Skyrim. And it was breathing fire all over Rochester Castle! He told West "You're a dead man for this! You hear me?! You're a DEAD man, I swear it!" as he ran out of Baggins to fight the dragon.
Griffin gets a HP due to having to let West go in order to face the dragon.
Last edited by betterwatchit on Wed Feb 01, 2023 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
betterwatchit

Post by betterwatchit »

The Battle of Baggins, Part 3

Rochester High Street...

Griffin burst out of Baggins, saying "Get out the way! I've got to kill that dragon!"

The shopkeeper asked "What about the gunman?!"

"He's leaving, don't get in his way! I'll hunt him down after I've killed that thing!"

That was when Griffin got his wings out and made like a bolt from the blue towards the dragon, and nearly struck it. His objective now was to kill the thing before it killed someone!
The dragon's stats are in Gamemaster's Guide, with INT and PRE of 0, Favoured Environment: Air, Move-By Action, Close Combat: Unarmed and Ranged Combat: Fire Breath at +8. The Dragon is Surprised. Roll Initiative! Dragon gets 15 and Griffin gets 5. The Dragon's Favoured Environment is active and set to Offence while Griffin's Favoured Environment is active and also set to Offence. They both get a HP for entering combat and they're both using lethal force.

In the surprise round, Griffin does the Flurry of Steel on the Dragon and gets 16. The Dragon gets 32 and resists.
The dragon roared "WHO DARES?!"

As Griffin turned to face the dragon, he roared "Turn and face me, dovah! Face me and die!"

The dragon turned and roared back "You are no Dovahkiin, feathered one! But perhaps you might make for the sport that these mortals lack! Yol Toor Shul!"
The Dragon uses Fire Breath, getting 16 and missing. Griffin attacks with the Flurry of Steel and gets 16. The Dragon gets 28 and resists. Griffin sets his Favoured Environment to Defence.
As they charged each other, Griffin tried to stab the dragon right between the eyes, aiming for an insta-kill.
The Dragon used its teeth, getting 16 and missing. Griffin attacks with the Flurry of Steel and gets a Natural 20, crit scored! He stunts it into The One-Way Ticket: Cumlative Affliction 10 (Resisted and Overcome by Will): Impaired, Disabled, Dying. DC 20. The Dragon got 21 and resisted.
The dragon roared "You think you can slay me?! Ha!" as Griffin survived another fiery pass.
The Dragon uses Fire Breath, getting 25. Griffin got 16 then he spent a HP, getting 28 and resisting. Griffin attacks with the Flurry of Steel and gets 25. The Dragon gets a Natural 20.

Griffin: 3 HP.
Griffin smacked the dragon in the lower jaw to try and shut it up! It simply went "You cannot silence my Thu'um!"
The Dragon uses his teeth and gets 23. Griffin gets a Natural 20 to resist and a Natural 1 while using the Flurry of Steel.

The dragon then tried to burn Griffin's wings off, but Griffin simply wasn't having it. The Dragon uses Fire Breath, getting 28. Griffin got 30 to resist, then used the Flurry of Steel, getting 24. The Dragon got 17 and spent a HP, getting 33 to resist.

Dragon: 1 HP.
The dragon said "I thought you would make for fine sport, but I see that you are only prey!"
The Dragon uses his teeth and gets 18. Griffin gets 23 and resists, attacking with the Flurry of Steel and getting 20. The Dragon gets 21 and spends a HP, getting 27 and resisting the attack.

Dragon: 0 HP.
Griffin roared "This isn't a sport!" as he beheaded the dragon in a single blow! The dragon disintegrated like the Space Marine did before it hit the ground.
The Dragon used Fire Breath, getting 21. Griffin got 22 and resisted, using the Flurry of Steel and getting 27. The Dragon got a Natural 1 and was killed outright! Fight's Over!

As Griffin landed on top of Rochester Castle, he went "I can't believe I just did that!" He sheathed his sword and got his phone out, saying "Annabelle, it's Griffin! West summoned a dragon, forcing me to let him go!"

"You let him go?!"

"I had to kill that dragon before it killed someone! Where is West heading now?"

"Let's see... Mr. West is on a white boat with a green roof, just below you!"

"I see the boat, I'm moving in!"

As soon as Griffin landed, West turned and fired his gun. The bullets just bounced off Griffin, who went "Surrender, traitor!"

"Surrender?! To a vigilante?! Come on, you f**king civilian! Let's see you face a real fighter!"
Griffin tries to intimidate West and gets 18. West gets 25 on his Will check and resists.

That was when Griffin charged. And parried West's lightsabre! He barely caught it being turned on! Griffin bopped West with the pommel of his sword.
Roll Initiative! Both combatants got 7 for initiative but West goes first (due to higher Dodge). West has a Lightsabre (Damage 6; Dangerous, Penetrating 6) and he attacks with it, getting a Natural 20, crit scored! West goes for +5 DC. Griffin gets a Natural 1, spends a HP and gets 30, resisting the blow. He then responds with the Flurry of Steel, getting 23. West got 13 and was hit and dazed.

They both get a HP for entering combat. Griffin gets a HP for using non-lethal force while West's trying to kill him.

West: 1 Injury, Dazed.

Griffin: 5 HP
Griffin pulled a feint that West fell for, exposing his lack of skill with the lightsabre.
West attacks, getting 10 and missing. Griffin uses the Flurry of Steel and gets 23. West gets 12, spends a HP and gets 22.

West: 1 HP.
West was good, Griffin had to admit, but he wasn't trained in swordsmanship by Archangel Michael. Griffin grabbed West's wrist and then broke his ribs and his leg! He proved for the third time that day that he was the better fighter!
West attacks and gets a Natural 1 and spends his last HP, getting 23. Griffin gets a Natural 1 and spends a HP. He gets 29 and resists. Griffin then uses the Flurry of Steel and gets 24. West gets 6 on his Toughness and is Incapacitated! Fight's Over!
Griffin told West "Don't get up! I mean it, I just broke your ribs and your leg! Stand down, soldier! NOW!"

West said "Alright, you got me!" As he turned the lightsabre off, West said to Griffin "You know, I've seen some things. I've done all sorts of stuff, I've killed some dangerous people, I've even shot a power or two in my time... But you... What are you?!"

Griffin revealed his wings, saying "The name's Griffin, and I'm an angel of the Host of Heaven! You're lucky I wasn't ordered to kill you for what you tried to pull! I have two questions, you better answer them!"

"Go on."

"Where's the Realiser Ray now?"

"The main galley cupboard below deck. You'll need to turn the handle to open the door."

"Got it. Now for the more important question... Who gave you the Realiser Ray in the first place?!"

"Belladonna! Her name is Belladonna!"

"What does Belladonna look like?"

"You wouldn't believe me!"

Griffin sighed "Mate, I became an angel as the result of a near-death experience. And trust me, those aren't as 'near' as you'd think. I've seen things you'd never believe! I ask you again, what does Belladonna look like?"

"She's a purple whippet wearing a spiked collar and leather vest! And she has bat-like wings! If you saw her, you'd never forget her! When she's calm, she can be very seductive. When she's angry, you know how much trouble you're in!"

"A supernatural whippet, you say? I actually know someone who can tell if you're telling me the truth. I'm going below deck, be back in a minute." Griffin hid his wings, picked up the lightsabre and descended below deck.

Griffin saw the galley and proceeded to check the cupboard, finding the Realiser Ray. It resembled a raygun from a bad 50's sci-fi, but it is one of the most powerful weapons ever seen on Earth, beaten only by the Power Ring of the Green Lantern Corps. And he had just experienced exactly why Annabelle wanted this gun off the streets.

He then used the mirror in the boat's only berth, saying "Annabelle, it's Griffin! I have the Realiser Ray!"

Annabelle appeared in the mirror, saying "You have it? Pass it through."

"Okay. I'm also handing over my sword and a lightsabre. The police will be coming soon, and I don't want them to confiscate it.

"I understand. And what in Mother's name is a lightsabre?"

"It uses an energy blade. There's a button on there that turns it on and off, try not to press it. And I need to ask you something, Annabelle."

"Yes, Griffin?"

"I just asked that Man Without Standards above deck about the Realiser Ray, and you'll never guess who he said helped him get hold of it."

"Who did he say helped him?"

"He said that a whippet by the name of Belladonna helped him out. Purple fur, spiked collar, leather vest. Does the name or description ring any bells?"

"It does! Belladonna is my cousin! She works for the other side!"

"Now I'm asking myself if this is just Belladonna raising merry hell or if she's having a go at you!"

"Belladonna would do both if she could."

"I'm heading off now. See you later."

When Griffin got out of the lower decks, he told West "The Ray is where you said it was and my commanding officer just confirmed Belladonna’s ID. What on Earth do you think you’re doing, working for a hellhound?! It’s obvious you don't know how stupid that is! And you didn't ask yourself the obvious question. The one question anyone who encounters the supernatural and the mythical must ask themselves."

"And that is?"

"If this is real... What else could be real?"

"You... make a good point."

"I have one question to ask before the police get here."

"Shoot."

"Don't tempt me. The question I want to ask is… Why?! Why would you do this?! Why would you want to use the Realiser Ray to spark World War Three?!"

"I wanted to bring back the Cold War, and said out loud to myself that I’d do anything for it. That was when Belladonna came out of my bedroom mirror and gave it to me."

"I can see why she’d want it back. I mean, a cold war can escalate to a real one in the right conditions! And you wanted it to happen?! You're lucky I can't do you for treason! I'm leaving you here for the police. You won't be going too far with a broken leg."

Griffin got his wings out and set off for London...
Last edited by betterwatchit on Thu Sep 02, 2021 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
betterwatchit

Post by betterwatchit »

The Battle of Baggins, Conclusion

The Time in a Bottle, London...

The TV was going on about the chaos that happened in Rochester and Griffin was going "That dragon there, I'm the one who killed it!"

That was when Officer Benbow burst through the door roaring "Griffin, I want a word! Upstairs, NOW!"

As Griffin entered the upstairs function room, he said "Is there a problem, officer?"

"I've heard about you committing violence in Rochester!"

"Yeah, I did! And I can explain!"

"This had better be good!"

"It is! Late this morning, I got an assignment from my commanding officer, one Archangel Annabelle. Sole objective: get the Realiser Ray off the current wielder. You've heard of it, right?"

Jill's face paled. She said "I've heard of it. If that thing got in the wrong hands..."

"It was last seen in the possession of Mr. Larry West, formerly of the SAS. Who wanted to use it to make a Metal Gear come to life and start World War Three with it."

"Metal Gear?"

"From the Metal Gear series of games. The most famous variant, Metal Gear REX, is a mech with nuclear capability. And even worse, it uses a railgun to fire a warhead that's invisible to modern radar. It basically fires a stealth nuke, officer. You fire an ICBM and every major power will see it coming and know who they're supposed to nuke back in retaliation! With that railgun and warhead combo, you could nuke someone without anyone knowing who really did it! Mutually-Assured Destruction would be obsolete!"

"I've heard of the Terminator Incident, but this is a whole new level!"

"I've heard of it as well. I tracked Mr. West to Rochester, where he was getting a MGS art book at Baggins. I got this close to surprising him! He slowed me down by dropping a grenade into Rochester High Street while he ran inside! I jumped on it to keep the blast from hitting anyone else."

"That must have hurt."

"Believe me, it did! What really boiled my blood was the fact that he was willing to harm civilians! I may not be a saint, but even I know that harming a non-combatant is completely out of order, no matter who or what you are!"

"...I agree with you there. What did you do next?"

"Only thing I could do. I went inside Baggins to hunt West down. He popped a smoke grenade upstairs, which is a bad idea on a wooden floor due to the fire hazard it poses."

"And you found him."

"No. Found a Space Marine from Warhammer 40K. With a working chainsword. And I wasn't in a forgiving frame of mind, as you can imagine." Griffin then lifted his shirt, saying "That gash there on my left? That's what a chainsword can do to you."

"Messy."

"I know! After I killed the Marine, I found West just after he summoned a dragon out of Skyrim! And that specific breed of dragon is well-known for its hostility to humans!"

"Let me guess, you had to let West go to slay the dragon."

"Yes, officer. Only thing I could do. Saving lives was my main priority."

"And if he got away?"

"I've seen Metal Gear REX in its original game. There aren't that many places in Britain where he could store the full-size version quietly. He'd want to lie low with the book and leave the country to find somewhere to summon it. And he didn't get away now, did he? I managed to slay that dragon and then I saw West at Strood Yacht Club, trying to use a boat as his getaway. I could see it from Rochester Castle."

"So you landed on his boat."

"The 'Briton' it was called. A small cabin cruiser. So I gave him a chance to surrender."

"When he didn't?"

"I made my move to knock him out. It turned out that he had a lightsabre!"

"From Star Wars?"

"Yeah. I barely caught him turning it on!"

"I take it you took him down."

"Broke his ribs and a leg. Nothing lethal, but he wasn't going to flee."

"Where is the Ray now?"

"First thing I did when I confirmed that I had the Ray was to hand it over to Annabelle. Only way I could be absolutely sure it wouldn't be misused. Same went for the lightsabre."

"Are you certain she won't use them?"

"Believe me, she doesn't have the inclination. The Ray is now out of Earth's reach and the answer's no, I am not getting it back for you, not even under penalty of imprisonment."

"What would your Lady want with it?"

"My Lady saw that the Realiser Ray was bad news, and getting it out of everyone's reach would help reduce chaos and drama worldwide! Besides, she doesn't need it to create something! That was when I flew home, had a kip then came here."

"You didn't breach any restricted airspace, did you?"

"I'm not crazy, Jill! I know to keep away from airports, major government buildings, military installations and prisons. I swear, the Thames must be the biggest flight path in Britain."

"Wouldn't be surprised."

"There's something I think you should know."

"And that would be?"

"I'm thinking of doing a world tour next year, starting with the United States."

"You can afford it, right?"

"Yeah, I can. I'm going to make arrangements tomorrow."

"Why start with America? Why not Europe?"

"Because I want to check out the superhuman world as well. And where better to start with that than the country where powers first became a thing."

"That actually makes sense. I hope you know what you're doing."

"I take attention to detail very seriously, ma'am. In this case, I know that U.S. immigration must assume by law that you're trying to migrate permanently... Unless you can prove that you have sufficient ties to your home to have to go back. I've looked it up and I think a B-2 visa is the only one that I can get hold of."

"I've been to the States before, and I used an A-2 visa."

"That's for travelling on government business, including law enforcement. B-2's the tourist visa, the one you'd use for going on your own time. I could use that Visa Waiver Program they have, but I can't appeal for an extension if I find myself forced to stay for more than 90 days."

"Looks like you've got it worked out. How many other languages can you speak?"

"One of the powers I've got allows me to speak and read any language at native level, officer. Ask Sakura Fubuki or the Golem about how they confirmed that one. I take it we're done here?"

"Yeah."

As Griffin and Officer Benbow came downstairs, they saw an unusual sight. A purple-furred whippet wearing a leather vest and spiked collar was on Griffin's table. Griffin approached, saying "Belladonna, I presume. I've heard a lot about you."

"From Annabelle, I presume."

"Yeah, actually."

"How much did she tell you?"

"She said that you were cousins and I can actually see the resemblance. I wouldn't be surprised if you were sist-"

Belladonna quickly got in Griffin's face, saying "Do! Not! Finish! That! Sentence! I want you to listen up, featherbrain! You have no idea how much Lucifer would've enjoyed seeing that Bitch Upstairs finally being proven wrong about humans!"

"I can only imagine."

"For now. I know that you work for my cousin. Sooner or later, you will know what it means to cross me!"

Belladonna then sprouted a pair of demonic wings and flew out of the Bottle.

Jill said "Are you okay, Griffin? You just had what looked like a hellhound in your face!"

"I'm good, Jill. Just a hazard of the job, I can deal with it."

"You were just threatened by a hellhound but you remained perfectly calm. That's really unusual, especially for someone with your... issues."

"Like I told you at the Guardhouse, there is only one I fear! My Lady did something to my brain. It's like she made sure that I can't be afraid of anyone but her or anyone I know to directly serve her."

"Did you consent to that change?"

"Yeah. The process to empower a Chosen of any God can be so drastic, it can only be done with the Chosen's informed and willing consent."

Jill's phone went off. She said "I have to go."

"See you later, officer."
Griffin gets 2 PP, which he saves up.
betterwatchit

Post by betterwatchit »

Operation Inundation, Prologue

September 2016...

You ask anyone on Earth where they were when that infamous broadcast happened, they'll tell you.

On that day at noon GMT, every TV, radio and Internet stream in the world broadcast a man in an unique suit of armour saying

"Greetings to all nations and races of Earth. This message is being broadcast in all the major languages of Earth. I am the one called Overshadow by the so-called 'authorities'. SHADOW will soon sweep away this old world order... and all those who gain from it! As I speak, the might of SHADOW is setting off to exterminate the exploiters and the enslavers! If you seek to join us on the right side of history, then prove it!

The only proof our organisation will accept... is the death of a member of the old establishment! They could be the teacher who seeks to indoctrinate others to be fellow state-slaves, the mullah, priest and rabbi who only exist to fool humanity into doing nothing, the politician who creates the laws that keep you down or the police and military who enforce them.

They could also be those run organised crime in your cities, making the people live in fear or the most negligent people of all... The so-called 'superheroes' who instinctively preserve the status quo without actually addressing or changing it! They are the greatest evil of all! Afterwards, present your evidence to any SHADOW soldier by saluting them thus: 'Hail SHADOW! May our shade cover the Earth!'"

Every single government, military, syndicate and power on Earth was involved in the fighting, which lasted three days.

It is unlikely that all the fighting that happened that weekend would ever be recorded. And it was the perfect cover for plenty of repaid debts, seized opportunities and settled scores...
betterwatchit

Post by betterwatchit »

Operation Inundation III: Freedom City, Part 1

8:30 A.M. EDT, Teleportal Chamber, Scarab's Lair, on the day of Operation Inundation III...

All of the Legacy of Freedom were in the teleportal chamber of the Scarab's Lair and they're wondering why that is when they should be out there fighting SHADOW.

Midnight said "You called this meeting, Scarab. What's so important that we're here during what looks like a third Operation Inundation?!"

"I have something important to tell you all, and it has a direct relation to what's happening on the surface. I recognized the man calling himself Overshadow when he made the broadcast. I knew him back in Ancient Egypt, in the first incarnation that I can recall. I was the Pharaoh Heru-Ra, and he was my High Priest, Tan-Aktor. One day, he tried to overthrow me and nearly succeeded! I say 'nearly', because I killed the traitor for it in my final breath!

As we both stood before the Gods in judgement, I demanded that I alone should punish my former friend. We were both punished. He for his treason and I for my arrogance before the Gods. The punishment was that we were both sentenced to be forever reborn. What I'm about to tell you doesn't go beyond this room, as it can still be useful to the wrong group. Is that understood?"

Everyone nodded.

Scarab continued "In my last reincarnation, I was the philanthropist Alexander Rhodes, the original Scarab. It was my money that built this Lair and Pyramid Plaza above it. Mrs. Cruz is the only other living person who knows about this for a fact. I had her predecessor take measures to ensure that in the event of another rebirth, I would come back into my fortune once again."

Freedom Eagle said "You actually found a way to take it with you?! Do you have any idea how many people wished they could do that?!"

Scarab went "My first incarnation was from a whole culture who thought you could! The only things I know you can bring are your actions and their effect on others."

Lightbearer said "I'm online and it looks like they're focusing on Freedom Hall and Pyramid Plaza. And the Plaza CCTV shows several small contingents making their way up all three towers."

Scarab said "Now, we're going back upstairs and taking SHADOW down! Who's with me?!"

The rest of the Legacy went "For Freedom's Legacy!"

Scarab went "Eagle, you and I will take Tower One. Lightbearer and Midnight, you have Tower Two. Don't use the elevators. Standard procedure in case of attack is to shut them down to keep hostiles from using them. And yes, I know how to turn them back on when the danger's passed. We take the first floors and work our way up to the skybridge. Anyone who makes it, we'll meet up there and fight our way up Tower Three." She then produced four keys and four keycards, saying "Everyone take a key and a card. These will open up any door on all three towers. We're the only ones with those keys, so don't lose them! I'll keep us all linked up and I'll see you topside."
betterwatchit

Post by betterwatchit »

Operation Inundation III: Freedom City, Part 2A

Pyramid Plaza, Freedom City...

As the Legacy of Freedom appeared at street level, people were streaming out of the doors. Scarab said "I've just linked us up, so we don't need to worry about SHADOW overhearing us. You know what towers to take, so let's take them back! And I won't ask questions if they wind up dead!"
Scarab and Freedom Eagle are fighting their way up Tower One of Pyramid Plaza. Lightbearer and Midnight are fighting their way up Tower Two.
As Scarab entered, she decided to concentrate on one of the soldiers. Next thing anyone knew, the soldier fell dead.

One of the SHADOW troopers hit his commlink, saying "All units, Primary Target is in Tower One! Repeat, Primary Target is in Tower One, First Floor! Requesting backup unit! Repeat, requesting backup unit!"

Scarab used her telepathy to tell everyone "Damn it! They are after me! Just heard one of them say I was their primary target! Just hit your Tower and let me know when you've thrown SHADOW back out!"
Scarab gets the advantage of surprise as she tries to use her Psychic Blast on one of the Umbra Guard. The Guard gets 16 and is dead.

Roll Initiative! Freedom Eagle gets 26, Scarab gets 15, and seven Umbra Guards get 6-15. The Umbra Guards are minions.

The Umbra Guards are using Blaster Rifles with Laser Sights and Targeting Scopes, and wearing Bulletproof Vests.

Freedom Eagle and Scarab each get a HP for entering combat and Scarab gets a second HP because she knows that everyone working for SHADOW is after her!

Everyone's using lethal force.
Freedom Eagle flew at one of the Umbra Guards and slashed his throat out while Scarab dropped another.
Freedom Eagle attacks an Umbra Guard with his Gauntlets, getting 27. The Umbra Guard gets 21 and is killed. Scarab fires a Mental Blast at another Guard. The Guard gets Natural 1 and is killed.

The five surviving Umbra Guards fire on Scarab and get 13, 24, 14, Natural 20 and 21. Scarab gets 30 and 23 to resist the first two shots and gets a Natural 1 on the third. She spends a HP to reroll and gets 26 to resist the third.

Scarab: 2 HP. Five Umbra Guard remaining.
Freedom Eagle took the throat out of one of the soldiers while Scarab was dodging blaster fire.
Freedom Eagle attacks an Umbra Guard and gets 23. The Umbra Guard gets 10 and is killed. Scarab hit 21 and resisted. Four Umbra Guards fire at Scarab, getting 19, 17, 23 and 11. Scarab gets 24 and 25, resisting both attacks.

Four Umbra Guard remaining.
Scarab struggled to take one of the SHADOW soldiers down while dodging all the blaster fire going around.
Freedom Eagle attacks an Umbra Guard, getting 21. The Umbra Guard gets 15 and is killed. Scarab does a Mental Blast on a Umbra Guard. The Umbra Guard gets 26 and resists. Three Umbra Guards fire at Scarab, getting 2, 20 and 11. Scarab rolls a Natural 1 and spends a HP, getting 30 and resisting.

Scarab: 1 HP. Three Umbra Guard remaining.
At this point all Freedom Eagle and Scarab had to do was mop up.
Freedom Eagle attacks an Umbra Guard, getting 24. The Umbra Guard gets 23 and is killed. Scarab does a Mental Blast on a Umbra Guard who gets 12 and is killed. The remaining Umbra Guard fires at Scarab, getting 8 and missing. Freedom Eagle attacks the last Umbra Guard, getting Natural 20, crit scored and raising the DC by +5. The Umbra Guard gets 11 and is killed.
Scarab used her telepathy to tell the rest of the Legacy "Just cleared the first floor, making my way up now..."
betterwatchit

Post by betterwatchit »

Operation Inundation III: Freedom City, Part 2B

Pyramid Plaza Tower Two, Freedom City...

As Lightbearer and Midnight went inside Tower Two, they saw SHADOW troopers shoot the receptionists dead, declaring "Obey SHADOW or die in vain!"

Midnight readied his Gas Gun while Lightbearer knew he was going to have to light every last SHADOW soldier up for this senseless slaughter.
Roll Initiative! Midnight gets 20, three Umbra Guard get 17-19, Lightbearer gets 16 and five Umbra Guard get 7-15.

Midnight and Lightbearer each get a HP for entering combat. Lightbearer gets a HP for his Motivation (SHADOW are a threat and he can help stop them)

All Umbra Guards are minions using a Blaster Rifle and Laser Sight. Everyone's using lethal force.
Midnight fired his Mist, catching two of the SHADOW soldiers. The third one dived out of the way in time. Several SHADOW soldiers fired at Lightbearer while one went on his radio, saying "High-Value Target is in Tower Two, First Floor! I repeat, High-Value Target is in Tower Two, First Floor! Requesting backup unit, repeat, requesting backup unit!"

Lightbearer went "Midnight! We've got a problem!"

Midnight went "I know! Sounds like they hit the Plaza just to get our attention!"
Midnight fires his Gas Gun at three Umbra Guards. One gets 9 on his Dodge and is directly caught in the Mist. The other two get 20 and 22, finding themselves in the thinner parts of the Mist. Two got a Natural 1 and 11, getting floored by the Mist. The third got 24 and remained vertical. That Umbra Guard fired his Blaster Rifle at Midnight, getting 10, completely missing him! Lightbearer uses his Light Control to blast an Umbra Guard, getting 26. The Umbra Guard gets 15 and is killed. Five Umbra Guard fire their Blaster Rifles at Lightbearer, getting 16, Natural 1, 14, Natural 1 and 7, all missing him.

Lightbearer gets a HP for his Enemy complication (Overshadow wants him dead as well!).

Two Umbra Guards Incapacitated, one dead.
Midnight manages to fire his mist at a SHADOW soldier while Lightbearer blasts another.
Midnight fires his Gas Gun at two Umbra Guards. One gets 21 on his Dodge and escapes. The other one gets 8 and is caught in the cloud. The one who escaped the Mist got 24 on his Fortitude and is still standing. The one who was caught in the Mist got 11 and is knocked out. Lightbearer fires a blast of light at one of the Umbra Guard, getting 27. The Umbra Guard gets 17 and is killed. The five Umbra Guards fire at Lightbearer, getting 7, 15, 10, 17 and 23. Lightbearer gets 15, spends a HP, getting 25 and resisting the blast.

Three Umbra Guards Incapacitated, two dead.
Midnight fires a blast of Mist, flooring the last three guards at once!
Midnight fires his Gas Gun at five Umbra Guards, who get 11, 11 and 8 on their Dodge saves. They get 15, 16, and 13, meaning that all three guards succumb to the Mist.
Lightbearer used Scarab's telepathic network to tell her "Just cleared the first floor, we're making our way up..."
betterwatchit

Post by betterwatchit »

Operation Inundation, Freedom City, Part 3A

Pyramid Plaza, Tower One, 45th floor...

As Freedom Eagle and Scarab made their way to the stores on the 45th floor, they overheard a unit of SHADOW say "Backup Unit One on 45th floor, no sign of Primary Target. Repeat, no sign of Primary Target."

Scarab used her telepathy to go "Feels like six of them in there, Eagle. On my mark, we kill two shooters each."

Eagle replied "Got it. In three... two... one!"

Then they burst out the door, shouting "FOR FREEDOM'S LEGACY!"
Freedom Eagle and Scarab manage to Surprise the SHADOW soldiers.

Freedom Eagle attacks an Umbra Guard with his Gauntlets and gets 29, Crit scored! He raises the DC by +5. The Umbra Guard gets 20 and dies.

Scarab hits another Umbra Guard with her Mental Blast. The Umbra Guard gets 16 and is dead.

Roll Initiative! Freedom Eagle gets 25, Scarab gets 22, four Umbra Guard minions get 12-19, Fist-In-SHADOW gets 11 and Flame-In-SHADOW gets 9.

Freedom Eagle and Scarab get a HP each for entering combat.

Everyone's using lethal force.
Seizing the initiative, Freedom Eagle and Scarab then took down the other two SHADOW riflemen but the SHADOW soldier who looked like he was on fire managed to throw some flame at Scarab.
Freedom Eagle Charges at one of the other Umbra Guard, getting 26, crit scored! He raises the DC by +5. The Umbra Guard gets 14 and is killed. Scarab fires a Mental Blast at the last Umbra Guard. The Umbra Guard gets 18 and is killed. The Fist-In-SHADOW tries to Charge Freedom Eagle, but he gets 1 and misses. The Flame-In-SHADOW throws a Firebolt at Scarab, getting 20. Scarab gets 18 and is Dazed.

Scarab: 1 Injury, Dazed.

Scarab could barely throw another mental bolt at the burning SHADOW soldier spouting fire at her.

Freedom Eagle attacks the Fist-In-SHADOW with his Gauntlets, getting 16 and missing. Scarab hits Flame-In-SHADOW with a Mental Blast. Flame-In-SHADOW gets 13 and is Dazed. Fist-In-SHADOW tries to punch Freedom Eagle, but only gets 17 and misses. Flame-In-SHADOW throws a Firebolt at Scarab, getting 18. Scarab gets 16, spends a HP and rerolls, getting 27 and resisting.

Flame-In-SHADOW: 1 Injury, Dazed. Scarab: 1 HP.
Freedom Eagle took a fist to the face while the burning SHADOW soldier missed Scarab completely.
Freedom Eagle attacks Fist-In-SHADOW and gets 22. Fist-In-SHADOW gets 26 to resist. Scarab does a Mental Blast at Flame-In-SHADOW, who gets 23 to resist. Fist-In-SHADOW punches Freedom Eagle, getting 25. Freedom Eagle gets 17 and is hit and Dazed. Flame-In-SHADOW throws a Firebolt at Scarab, getting a Natural 1 and missing.

Freedom Eagle: 1 Injury, Dazed.
Then things got really heated! The burning SHADOW soldier threw a fireball at Scarab and hit some benches, starting a fire!
Freedom Eagle attacks Fist-In-SHADOW and gets 21. Fist-In-SHADOW gets 23 and is hit. Scarab fires a Mental Blast at Flame-In-SHADOW who gets 12, and is hit and Dazed. Fist-In-SHADOW punches Freedom Eagle, getting 23. Freedom Eagle gets 22 and is hit and Dazed. Flame-In-SHADOW throws a Firebolt at Scarab, getting 24. Scarab gets 14, spends her last HP, getting 28 and resisting.

Fist-In-SHADOW: 1 Injury. Flame-In-SHADOW: 2 Injuries, Dazed. Freedom Eagle: 2 Injuries, Dazed.
Freedom Eagle managed to break some of the giant SHADOW soldier's ribs with a blow from his gauntlets while Scarab gave the burning SHADOW soldier another headache!
Freedom Eagle attacks Fist-In-SHADOW and gets 27. Fist-In-SHADOW gets 11 and is hit and Staggered. Scarab hits Flame-In-SHADOW with a Mental Blast. Flame-In-SHADOW gets 17 and is hit. Fist-In-SHADOW attacks Freedom Eagle, getting 15 and missing. Flame-In-SHADOW attacks Scarab with a Firebolt, getting 11 and also missing.

Fist-In-SHADOW: 2 Injuries, Staggered. Flame-In-SHADOW: 3 Injuries, Dazed.
Freedom Eagle brought the large SHADOW soldier to the floor at last while the SHADOW blazer was starting to scream from the psychic pain Scarab was giving him!
Freedom Eagle attacks Fist-In-SHADOW and gets 19. Fist-In-SHADOW gets a Natural 1 and is Incapacitated! Fist-In-SHADOW gets 27 and stabilises. Scarab hits Flame-In-SHADOW. Flame-In-SHADOW gets 10 and is hit and Staggered! Flame-In-SHADOW throws a Firebolt at Scarab, getting 16 and missing.

Fist-In-SHADOW: 3 Injuries, Incapacitated. Flame-In-SHADOW: 4 Injuries, Staggered.
Scarab kept focusing her will upon the burning soldier's mind. If he's trying to kill her, she was going to snuff him out first!
Freedom Eagle attacks Flame-In-SHADOW, getting 12 and missing. Scarab fires a Mental Blast at Flame-In-SHADOW. Flame-In-SHADOW gets 11 and is hit. 9.

Flame-In-SHADOW: 5 Injuries, Staggered.
Freedom Eagle held the burning soldier down, shouting "Scarab! NOW!" Scarab gave the SHADOW soldier a massive seizure!
Freedom Eagle strikes the Flame-In-SHADOW, getting 18. Flame-In-SHADOW gets 19 and is hit. Scarab does a Mental Blast at Flame-In-SHADOW. Flame-In-SHADOW gets 8 and is Incapacitated and Dying! Flame-In-SHADOW gets 15 and stabilises.
As Freedom Eagle dropped the unconscious soldier onto the ground, Scarab slumped to the floor, saying "That... was close!"

Freedom Eagle grabbed a fire extinguisher and put out the remarkably few fires that were about. He looked out of the window and... "Hey, Scarab! I just saw several AEGIS troopers enter Tower Three on the ground and by the roof!"

Scarab said "I saw. And they're entering Tower Two as well." She then used her telepathy to tell Midnight and Lightbearer "Backup team set on us is down. AEGIS are clearing out Tower Three, don't get in their way."
Last edited by betterwatchit on Thu Jul 23, 2020 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
betterwatchit

Post by betterwatchit »

Operation Inundation, Freedom City, Part 3B

Pyramid Plaza, Tower Two, 45th floor...

When Lightbearer and Midnight made their way to the stores on the 45th floor, they overheard a unit of SHADOW say "Backup Unit Two on 45th floor, no sign of High-Value Target. Repeat, no sign of High-Value Target."

Before they entered, Midnight whispered "You dazzle them and then I'll gas them, got it?"

"Lightbearer whispered back "Agreed. On three, two, one..."

Then they both charged, shouting "FOR FREEDOM'S LEGACY!"

Lightbearer blinded the SHADOW unit and while they were screaming about how they were blinded, Midnight fired his Mist, flooring five out of six soldiers.
In the surprise round, Lightbearer Dazzles the SHADOW unit. Four Umbra Guard minions get 14, 21, 17 and 19. Three are blinded (Visually Unaware). Fist-in-SHADOW gets 14 and is Visually Disabled. Flame-In-SHADOW gets 25 and is unaffected. Midnight then fires his Gas Gun. All six hostiles are caught in the Mist. The Umbra Guard minions get 19, 19, 15 and 15 and are all Incapacitated. Fist-in-SHADOW gets 21 and is unaffected while Flame-In-SHADOW gets a Natural 1 and is Incapacitated.

Midnight was in the Dazzle radius but his Mask renders him immune to it as well as to his own Mist.
Midnight then used his brass knuckles to lay the giant SHADOW soldier out with a textbook Superman Punch, by leaping forward to put more momentum into his fist!
Roll Initiative! Midnight gets 22, Lightbearer gets 5 and Fist-in-SHADOW gets 4.

Midnight uses his Brass Knuckles and Charges in an All-Out Power Attack to punch out the Fist-in-SHADOW, getting 25. Fist-in-SHADOW gets a Natural 1 and is Incapacitated! Fight's Over!
When the mist cleared, Midnight said "I think we got them all!" That was when he and Lightbearer got Scarab's telepathic message of AEGIS hitting Tower Three. Lightbearer thought back to Scarab "Understood. It looks like they're paying all three towers a visit."
Last edited by betterwatchit on Thu Aug 20, 2020 9:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
betterwatchit

Post by betterwatchit »

Operation Inundation III: Freedom City Conclusion

Teleportal Room, Scarab's Lair, Freedom City...

As the Legacy reappeared in the Scarab's Lair, Scarab went "Is anyone else hurt?!"

Freedom Eagle said "Only a little."

Lightbearer told them "I've got this, just keep still." He then laid his hands on their shoulders. In seconds, the blaster burns faded away like they were never there.

Scarab said "Thanks, Lightbearer! You know something? I actually died the last time I had to defend the Plaza!"

Everyone else said "YOU WHAT?!"

Scarab told them "The Scions of Sobek had mind-controlled the Freedom League in the 70s, making them bring the Plaza down! I sacrificed myself so they could regain their free will and I'm glad that they succeeded in saving it."

Midnight asked "Which begs the question, why didn't you rejoin the League when you got your memories back, Scarab? You'd easily be able to prove to the older members that you're the original!"

Scarab replied "Because this time around, I wanted to help a team get started from the ground up. It's just a matter of sheer coincidence this time that a legacy team was in the making."

Lightbearer said "And we're very glad to have you with us, Scarab. We're all new to being heroes so it helps us to have a veteran join up!"

Scarab went "Thanks, Lightbearer. In a while, we're going to have to stop all the rioting that's going to break out when SHADOW are gone!"
Each member of the Legacy gets a PP, which they save.
betterwatchit

Post by betterwatchit »

Operation Inundation III: London, Part 1

1 P.M. BST (British Summer Time), Woolwich...

Griffin was watching the Olympics on the BBC Big Screen at Woolwich when Overshadow's broadcast came up. When Overshadow mentioned offing the establishment, he thought that this could be 2011 all over again. When he heard the claim that superhumans like himself were the worst threat of all, he got Justice out because he knew he was going to be fighting all day.

That's when he heard someone shout "BURN THE CHURCH, FREE THE SHEEPLE!" Five yobs with molotovs were running towards the nearby Church of St. Peter.

Griffin called them over, shouting "OVER HERE, YOU DISRESPECTFUL BASTARDS!" As they turned to face Griffin, he went "Is that church desecrated, that you would see it burned down?! Surrender now or else!"

One of the yobs yelled "Blaze him!" That was when they threw their molotovs at Griffin, not knowing that their flames would not avail them this day.

Amid the blaze, Griffin revealed his wings and drew still-sheathed Justice, saying "You! Were! Warned! Now pay the price!"

Griffin's assault was swift and brutal. Four yobs down in as many seconds.
The five Criminal minions are without the Light Pistol but with their "Choose One" put into Close Combat: Knife, making them PL 4. Roll Initiative! Griffin gets 15 and the Criminals get 10-11. Griffin Charged at them using the Flurry of Steel in an All-Out Attack, getting 27, 26, 17, 11 and 24. The Criminals who were hit got 4, 3, 9, 11 and were all Incapacitated.
He faced the one remaining yob, asking him "Are you the boss of this sorry crew?!"

The yob told Griffin "He's the one in the black hoodie, the one whose teeth you knocked out!"

"When he wakes, tell him that the Griffin of London was the one who beat his traitorous arse for choosing to burn down a church! I want you to tell everyone you know that the God of the Bible is real, and that the supernatural in general is very, very real! If I catch you or any of your so-called 'mates' trying to destroy any religious building ever again... you will regret that choice! Do you understand me?"

"Yes! For the love of God, yes!"

"Then GO!"

That's when Griffin heard an explosion to the south. SHADOW must be hitting the Royal Artillery Barracks! He took off at once, ready for war...
betterwatchit

Post by betterwatchit »

Operation Inundation III: London, Part 2

General Gordon Place, Woolwich…

Griffin had just beaten up a bunch of yobs who tried to burn down the nearby Church of St. Peter, then he heard an explosion in the direction of the Royal Artillery Barracks. Then his phone started vibrating. It was his commanding officer, Archangel Annabelle.

Griffin said "Griffin reporting, Annabelle! If this is about what Overshadow's trying to pull, I know! Just stopped some yobs from burning a church down and I'm heading towards the local barracks!"

"You're being diverted. You have an assignment and this is from Mother herself! Your objective is to save St. Paul's Cathedral!"

"Understood!"

Griffin took off at top speed for Central London, which was going to be a bloody warzone…

St. Paul's Cathedral, five minutes later…

Griffin had made it in very good time. He was glad he could fly, all public transport would be shut down by now as well as the mobile networks to keep bombs linked to mobiles from going off. As Griffin was about to land, he saw who appeared to be Britannia make her way inside. Britannia is known to be one of the most powerful heroes in Britain today.

As Griffin landed and got inside inside the Cathedral, Britannia went "Griffin?! What are you doing here?!"

Griffin told her "My Liege sent me to protect the place!"

That was when a tannoy outside said "Combat Team, prepare for immediate deployment!"

Griffin looked outside and saw what looked like an APC with wings and VTOL landing in front of the Cathedral. He went "Britannia! They're gonna drop some soldiers off so they can kill everyone inside! And they'll likely drop off a power or two as well. If you can deal with the power, I can deal with the foot soldiers!"

"Why can't we just wreck their ride?" Britannia asked.

"If they can't retreat, then nothing short of a total victory will get them out alive, making them fight all the harder." Griffin then unsheathed his sword, saying "Keep an eye on the autocannon and let's f**king have them!"
Griffin does a Tactics roll and gets 20. He knows what SHADOW are going to do, as well as the fact that cutting off their retreat will make them fight harder.

Roll Initiative! The APC Pilot (Stats as an Advanced Trooper) gets 16 (the Charon-class APC he's piloting has the same stats as an AEGIS Raptor-class APC from Gadget Guides), Griffin gets 14, an Advanced Trooper and the Flame-In-SHADOW get 13. Two Advanced Troopers get 10. Britannia gets 9 and five Advanced Troopers get 3-6.

The Advanced Troopers each have a Blaster Rifle, Bulletproof Vest and Commlink.

Griffin and Britannia each get a HP for entering combat and another for civilians in danger. Griffin gets 2 HP for his Motivation (war was declared without just cause) and for his Temper (harming civilians is NEVER acceptable). Britannia gets one for her Responsibility complication (she must protect those civilians) and another for using non-lethal force.

Griffin and all SHADOW members are using lethal force. Britannia is going non-lethal. The APC and Flame-In-SHADOW are not minions. Britannia's stats are in Atlas of Earth-Prime.

And here's a little something to listen to during the fight.
As the SHADOW soldiers deployed, Griffin burst out of the Cathedral, practically gutting two of them in a single pass before what looked like a soldier on fire threw a fireball in his face. Britannia hit the burning soldier with a beam of light, knocking him back.
The APC Pilot fires at Griffin, getting 15 and missing. Griffin Charges at several SHADOW troopers with the Flurry of Steel, getting 21, 20, 1, 23 and 15. The troopers get 13, 23, 8 and 25 with two dead. The Flame-In-SHADOW throws a Firebolt at Griffin, getting 24. Griffin gets 21 and is hit. An Advanced Trooper fires at Griffin, getting 16 and missing. Britannia fired a Light Blast at the Flame-In-SHADOW, getting 28. The Flame-In-SHADOW gets 23 and is hit. Five Advanced Troopers Team Attack Griffin and get Natural 20 (No crit due to being a minion), 18, Natural 1, 8 and 11. Griffin has to resist a DC 25 attack. He gets 13, spends a HP and gets 24 and is hit.

Flame-In-SHADOW: 1 Injury. Griffin: 5 HP, 2 Injuries. Six Advanced Troopers remaining.
Griffin managed to gut one of the troopers while evading a lot of laser fire while Britannia was struggling with the burning soldier.
The APC Pilot fires at Griffin, getting 17 and missing. Griffin attacks two Advanced Troopers with the Flurry of Steel, getting 27 and 15. The Troopers get 25 and 8, which kills one of them. The Flame-In-SHADOW throws a Firebolt at Britannia, getting 28. Britannia gets 22 and resists. An Advanced Trooper gets 13 and misses Griffin. Britannia fires a Light Blast at the Flame-In-SHADOW, getting 14 and missing. Four Advanced Troopers fire at Griffin, getting 12, 17, 8, and 24. Griffin gets 17 and spends a HP to reroll, getting 24.

Griffin: 4 HP. Five Advanced Troopers remaining.
Griffin barely dodged the Autocannon while cutting two more troopers down, then he got blasted in the chest. Britannia got a firebolt to the face and reacted by blasting the burning soldier in the balls!
The APC pilot fires at Griffin, getting 24 and hitting. Griffin gets 27 and resists. Griffin does the Flurry of Steel on two Advanced Troopers and gets 29 and Natural 1. Griffin spends a HP, getting 26. The troopers get 20 and 11, dying instantly. The Flame-In-SHADOW threw a Firebolt at Britannia, getting 21. Britannia got 16, so she was hit and Dazed. A trooper fires at Griffin, getting a Natural 1 and missing. Britannia fires a Light Blast at the Flame-In-SHADOW, getting a Natural 20, crit scored! She raises the DC by +5. Flame-In-SHADOW gets 15 and is hit and Staggered! Two Advanced Troopers fire at Griffin, getting 20 and Natural 1. Griffin gets 28 and resists.

Britannia: 1 Injury, Dazed. Flame-In-SHADOW: 2 Injuries, Staggered. Griffin: 3 HP. Three Advanced Troopers remaining.
While Britannia blasted one of the troopers, Griffin saw his chance and flew into the burning soldier, impaling him in the heart!
The APC pilot fires at Griffin, getting 9 and missing. Griffin attacks the Flame-In-SHADOW with the Flurry of Steel, getting 31, crit scored! Griffin raises the DC by +5. The Flame-In-SHADOW gets 13 and is Dying due to sustaining two Staggering blows! Flame-In-SHADOW gets 14 and fails the first death check by one degree. An Advanced Trooper gets 13 and misses Griffin. Britannia fires a Light Blast at an Advanced Trooper and gets 29. The trooper gets 15 and is Incapacitated. Three Advanced Troopers fire at Griffin, getting 11, 15, 17 and missing.

Flame-In-SHADOW: 3 Injuries, Dying, 1 degree of failure. Three Advanced Troopers remaining.
The APC pilot thought he had a clear shot at Griffin, but Griffin dodged it while doing a flying lunge at one of the soldiers while Britannia knocked another one out.
APC Pilot fires at Griffin, getting 21. Griffin gets 14 and spends a HP, getting 27 and resisting. Griffin attacks an Advanced Trooper with the Flurry of Steel and gets 29. The trooper gets 9 and dies. Flame-In-SHADOW gets 14 and fails the second death check by one degree. Britannia fires a Light Blast at an Advanced Trooper and gets 20. The trooper gets 18 and is Incapacitated. One Advanced Trooper fires at Griffin, getting 13 and missing.

Griffin: 2 HP. Flame-In-SHADOW: 2 Injuries, Dying, 2 degrees of failure. One Advanced Trooper remaining.
Griffin cut one of the APC's wings off in a single blow, with the wing landing on the burning soldier, killing him outright. He went "The blazer's done!" while Britannia blasted the last trooper.
APC Pilot fires at Griffin, getting a Natural 1 and missing. Griffin attacks the APC with the Armour-Piercing Strike, getting Natural 20, crit scored! The APC gets 14 and is Staggered. The Flame-In-Shadow gets 14 and dies due to failing his third death check. Britannia fires a Light Blast at the remaining Advanced Trooper, getting 26. The trooper gets 11 and is Incapacitated.

Flame-In-SHADOW: DEAD. Zero Advanced Troopers remaining.
Griffin went "Boarding APC to take down Pilot!" as he entered the back of the APC. As he reached the cockpit, Griffin went "F**king hell!" as the pilot suddenly blew his own brains out. He didn't know you could make that much mess with a laser pistol. A bullet, maybe, but not a laser. He walked out of there, telling Britannia "Just saw the pilot shoot himself, let's get back inside and see if everyone's alright."

As Griffin went back inside the Cathedral, he saw that most of the civilians were kneeling before him, including all the clergy! He said "All of you, stand up! Now! I do not deserve your worship at all! You should be thanking the Almighty God, who sent me here!"

That was when the Bishop of London said "Who- Who are you?!"

"I am the Griffin of London, angel of the Host of Heaven. There's no need to be afraid of me, for I was sent to help stop SHADOW's invasion of London."

"And I thank God you're here."

Britannia approached, saying "Griffin. About those soldiers..."

"Yeah, Britannia?"

"Did you really have to kill them?!"

"As far as I could tell, SHADOW were going to kill everyone inside the Cathedral! Of course I had to kill them first! You think I can afford to hesitate when life and death are on the line, you have another thing coming!"

"Don't you have a Commandment against killing?!"

"No. I. Don't. The Sixth Commandment - as originally given to Moses - actually says 'Thou shalt not murder.' And you know that I'm in a position to learn that off of the One who gave it out in the first place! Self-defence, immediate defence of another and avenging a murder don't break it. All that stuff you just saw me do out there?! I broke no laws doing it, not those of Gods nor those of men! Even if I did break any laws, anyone who could enforce them is busy right now if you haven't noticed! Something about a global-scale terror attack by someone who actually knows what they're doing!"

"And what's going to happen if you cross the line?"

"Britannia, you forget that a very powerful individual has a vested interest in me behaving myself and has the resources to keep an eye on me at all times, even as we speak. If I kill someone without a just cause, I'll immediately get in trouble that the Ministry wished it could arrange for a power who's crazy enough to kill an innocent!"

Then Griffin felt his phone vibrate. He got it out of his pocket and Annabelle appeared on the screen. Griffin responded with "Griffin reporting. Myself and Britannia just prevented a SHADOW APC from killing everyone inside St. Paul's Cathedral. Awaiting new objectives, if any."

Annabelle said "I saw it, Griffin. You have a new objective: the Museum of London! Protect the London Stone at all cost!"

"Understood, Griffin out!"

Britannia asked "Well, what did they say?"

"My new objective is the Museum of London and the London Stone. The legend behind the Stone states that 'So long as the Stone of Brutus is safe, so long shall London flourish!' If it gets wrecked, we're all screwed. I'm going there now, Britannia. You can join me if you like."

"You go ahead, someone needs to protect these people in case SHADOW come back."

"Fair enough. See you later, Britannia!"

As Griffin took off, the Bishop of London took to the pulpit and said "Let us pray that Earth's heroes deliver this world from SHADOW's tyranny."
Last edited by betterwatchit on Wed Feb 01, 2023 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
betterwatchit

Post by betterwatchit »

Operation Inundation III: London, Part 3

The Guardhouse, Golders Green, London...

Straight after Overshadow's broadcast, the Red Mage saw that the Guardhouse's gate alarm was going off!"

Red Mage hit the emergency intercom, going "Your attention, please! We've got SHADOW declaring Operation Inundation III and what looks like a giant trying to break the front gate down!"

Michael Cohen's response was "I'm on the bastard!"

As Michael charged out of the front door, he activated his amulet, making himself as big and as strong as the Golem of Jewish legend! As he enlarged himself, a giant wearing SHADOW uniform burst through the front gate, bringing a squad of eight SHADOW troopers inside with him!

Dr. Green ran to the balcony and drew her Ecto-Lance. The stone balcony served as the perfect sniper's perch, meaning that everyone in the courtyard was in her line of sight.

The other Guardians headed towards the benches by the door, which were made of reinforced concrete. Red Mage and Sakura Fubuki took one and Spindle took the other. Compared to most teams, the Guardians often faced supernatural foes who simply could not be stopped without actually killing them. So they killed them. And they knew exactly what to do if someone who knew their dead foes found out where they lived. They. Were. Prepared.

Dr. Green simply went "ANYONE WHO COMES IN HERE IS A DEAD MAN! OPEN FIRE!"

Amongst the laser-fire, Red Mage went "Just sent Griffin a text!"

Sakura asked "What did he say?!"

"Already on a mission, he can't help us at the moment!"

"Damn it!"

Dr. Green fired a snap shot at a trooper and missed, while the Golem landed a body blow to the giant in SHADOW uniform. The rest of the Guardians simply opened fire on the SHADOW troopers, laying two out.
Golem's Amulet is active. Spindle is in Drider Form.

Roll Initiative! Dr. Green gets 26, Golem gets 23, Red Mage gets 16, six SHADOW Advanced Troopers get between 10 to 15, the Fist-In-SHADOW gets 10, Spindle and Sakura get 9 and Two Advanced Troopers get 4.

The Guardians each get a HP for entering combat and another for being rendered unable to retreat. All Guardians except the Golem are in Partial Cover. Red Mage and Sakura are using one bench for cover. Spindle is using the other. The Advanced Troopers have Blaster Assault Rifles, Commlinks and Bulletproof Vests.

Everyone's using lethal force. The Advanced Troopers are minions, the Fist-In SHADOW is not.

Dr. Green fires her Ecto-Lance at an Advanced Trooper, getting 12 and missing. Golem punches the Fist-In-SHADOW, getting 23. Fist-In-SHADOW gets 19 and is hit and Dazed. Red Mage uses his Dualcast to hit two Troopers with a 5/5 Split (both set to Fire), getting 22 and hitting both. The Troopers get 24 and 20, successfully resisting the blasts. Six Troopers return fire, each targeting a separate Guardian. Three get 14, 15 and 21, all missing. One firing at Golem gets 18, hitting him. Golem gets 29 and resists. Two troopers fire on Red Mage, getting 9 and 9, missing him. The Fist-In-SHADOW gets 19, hitting Golem. Golem gets 25 and resists. Spindle fires a Web Slug at a Trooper, getting 23. The Trooper gets 9 and is killed. Sakura fires a blast of magic at a Trooper, getting 15 and hitting. The Trooper gets 10 and is killed. Two troopers fire at Dr. Green, getting 5 and 19, missing her.

Fist-In-SHADOW: 1 Injury, Dazed. Six Advanced Troopers remaining.
Dr. Green proceeded to blast a trooper's head off, while Sakura lit up another.
Dr. Green fires her Ecto-Lance at an Advanced Trooper, getting 23. The Trooper gets 13 and is hit and killed. Golem punches the Fist-In-SHADOW, getting 16 and missing. Red Mage does a 5/5 Split at two Troopers, getting 13 and missing both targets. Three Troopers each open fire on a bench-using Guardian. One fires at Red Mage getting 19 and missing. Another fires at Sakura getting 14, and the third fires at Spindle, getting 21 and missing. A Trooper fires at Dr. Green, getting 19 and missing. Fist-In-SHADOW gets 12 and misses Golem. Spindle fires her Web Slugs, getting 12 and missing. Sakura fires a blast of Magic at a trooper, getting 24. The Trooper gets 21 and is killed. The last two Troopers fire at Dr. Green, getting Natural 1 and 8, both missing.
Four Advanced Troopers remaining.

Dr. Green and Sakura each blasted a trooper in the heart, while the Golem clouted the giant upside the head.
Dr. Green fired at a trooper, getting 28. The Trooper got 13 and was killed. Golem punched the Fist-In-SHADOW and got 24. Fist-In-SHADOW got 18 and was hit and Dazed. Red Mage did a Dualcast with a 5/5 Split, getting 21. The two Troopers got 24 and 21, surviving the blasts. Three Troopers fired at the benched Guardians, getting 13, Natural 1 and 5, all missing. Fist-In-SHADOW took a swing and got a Natural 1. Spindle fired a Web Slug at a Trooper, getting a Natural 20, crit scored! Spindle raises the DC by +5. The Trooper gets 10 and is killed. Sakura fired a blast of Magic at a Trooper and got 23. The Trooper got 10 and was killed.

Fist-In-SHADOW: 2 Injuries, Dazed. One Advanced Trooper remaining.
Dr. Green went "Everyone help Golem out! Get that bastard off him!"
Dr. Green fired at the last Trooper, getting 23. The Trooper got 8 and was killed. Golem punched the Fist-in-SHADOW, getting 16 and missing. Red Mage spent a HP to temporarily gain Precise Attack (Ranged, Cover) and fired a Maddening Blast (resisted by Will) at the Fist-In-SHADOW, getting 22. Fist-In-SHADOW gets 24 and resists. Spindle spends a HP to get temporarily gain Precise Attack (Ranged, Cover) and tries to get Web in the Eyes of the Fist-In-SHADOW, getting 16 and missing. Sakura spends a HP to get temporarily gain Precise Attack (Ranged, Cover), firing a blast of Magic at the Fist-In-SHADOW, getting 23. Fist-In-SHADOW gets 25 and resists.

Red Mage: 2 HP, Sakura: 2 HP.

No Advanced Troopers remaining.
Dr. Green's Ecto-Lance left quite a gash in the giant's side, giving Golem a chance to uppercut him! The giant was on the ropes... When Spindle used her web slugs to shoot the giant in the stomach! As he hit the floor, Sakura simply blasted his head into dust.
Dr. Green spent a HP to temporarily gain Precise Attack (Ranged, Cover) and fired her Ecto-Lance at the Fist-In-SHADOW, getting 23. The Fist-In-SHADOW got 24 and was hit. Golem punches the Fist-In-SHADOW, getting 23. Fist-In-SHADOW gets 14 and is hit and Staggered! Red Mage fires a full Dualcast. getting 4 and missing. Fist-In-SHADOW threw a punch, getting a Natural 20, crit scored! He raises the DC by +5. Golem also gets a Natural 20 and successfully resists. Spindle spends a HP to get temporarily gain Precise Attack (Ranged, Cover) and fires some Web Slugs at the Fist-In-SHADOW, getting 28. Fist-In-SHADOW gets 9 and is Dying. It gets 15 on the Fortitude check. Sakura performs a Finishing Attack on the Fist-In-SHADOW, getting 15. Fist-In-SHADOW gets 19 and is killed outright! Fight's over!

Dr. Green: 2 HP, Spindle: 2 HP.

Fist-In-SHADOW: DEAD.
Dr. Green said "Now that's sorted, it'll take me a minute to disintegrate the bodies. Golem, Spindle, could you get the bodies in a single pile? And see if you can strip them first. Antenna'll pay us handsomely for SHADOW tech."

Golem went "On it, Doctor."

Spindle assumed her human form again, saying "Got it, Doctor."

Red Mage said "And if you'll excuse me, I'm gonna hit up the Grapevine to report this and then see where we're needed."

"Are you alright, Golem?" Sakura asked.

Golem went "I'm good, Sakura. Thanks for asking."

Continued on Next Page.
Last edited by betterwatchit on Tue Jan 19, 2021 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.