J-Mart: Kung Lao, Ken Masters, Captain Carter, John Preston

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Thorpocalypse

Kalibak: Earth-T1

Post by Thorpocalypse »

I had planned to show you mercy -- but your impertinence has earned you a slow and painful death. - Kalibak

KALIBAK
PL12

OPL: 12; SPL: 5; DPL: 11; FWPL: 9; HP: 1
Height: 6-9
Weight: 468
Eyes: Red
Hair: Black
Skin: Brown
Race: New God
Identity: Public
Alignment: Villain
Base of Operations: Apokolips
Team Affiliations: Darkseid's Elite

ABILITIES: STRENGTH 14, STAMINA 12, AGILITY 2, DEXTERITY 2, FIGHTING 9, INTELLECT -1, AWARENESS 0, PRESENCE -1

SKILLS: Athletics 1 (+15), Deception (-1), Insight (+0), Intimidation 10 (+9/+10), Perception 2 (+2), Persuasion (-1), Ranged Combat [Blast] 7 (+9), Stealth (+2/+1)

ADVANTAGES: All-Out Attack (2) (Unarmed, Beta Club Strike), Benefit (2) (Status 2 – Darkseid’s Elite), Close Attack (1), Diehard, Fast Grab, Power Attack (2) (Unarmed, Beta Club Strike), Takedown (1)

POWERS:
Kalibak Size: Growth 2 (+2 Str, +2 Sta, -1 Dodge/Parry, -2 Stealth, +1 Intimidation, Speed +0, +2 Mass; Extra: Innate, Permanent); 5 pts
New God Physiology: Protection 2, Impervious Toughness 11, Regeneration 2 (1/every 5 rounds), Speed 1 (4 mph/60 fpr); 16 pts
Immortal: Immunity 2 (Aging, Terrestrial Diseases); 2 pts
Super Strength: Enhanced Strength 5 (12,000 Tons, Flaw: Limited to lifting); 5 pts
Beta Club: 32 pts Traits, Easily Removable (-12 pts); 20 pts
Beta Blast: Ranged Energy Damage 15; 30 pts
Beta Club Strike: Bludgeoning Strength-based Damage 0 (Extra: Penetrating 10); 1 pt
Pain Beam: Cone Area Affliction 10 (Resisted by Fortitude; 1st: Dazed, 2nd: Stunned, 3rd: Incapacitated, Extra: Cone Area 2 [120 ft cone]); 1 pt

EQUIPMENT:
NONE

OFFENSE:
Initiative +2
Close Attack +10 [Unarmed +14; Beta-Club +14]
Ranged Attack +2
Beta-Club Blast +9 [Beta-Club Blast +15]
Special Attack [Pain Beam +10, Cone Area]

DEFENSES:
Dodge +7 [DC17] Parry +8 [DC18]
Toughness +14 (+6 Impervious), Fortitude +12, Will +5

COMPLICATIONS:
Inferiority Complex: Kalibak knows that Darkseid favors Orion over him and he constantly tries to gain his father's favor.
Vulnerable: All of the New Gods are vulnerable to Radion.

Abilities 66 + Skills 10 (20 ranks) + Advantages 10 + Powers 48 + Defenses 11 = 145 / 145

Build Comments: Good old Kalibak. Jobber to the big hitters. He can lay waste to a team of lower level heroes, but usually gets his butt handed to him by guys like Orion and Superman. And he’s really indispensable as someone for Darkseid to yell at when his plans fail.

Secret Origins: Kalibak is the first-born son of Darkseid and Suli. His mother Suli is killed by Desaad, acting under orders from Kalibak's grandmother Queen Heggra. Kalibak becomes a legendary warrior, and often serves as Darkseid's second-in-command.

The Story so Far: After Darkseid breaks the pact of peace with New Genesis, the rival planet of Kalibak's home Apokolips, he aids his father in the resulting battles.

Kalibak is often pitted against Orion, and after numerous clashes they learned that they were half-brothers. This fuels Kalibak's hatred of Orion to new levels, for Darkseid clearly values Orion over his first-born.

At one point, Kalibak is desperate enough to confront Orion without Darkseid's consent. Kalibak's scheme fell apart, and he kills his accomplice Desaad, also a servant of Darkseid, to cover his tracks. Darkseid was not pleased when he finds out, and he reduces his son to a pile of ash. After enough time had passed Darkseid resurrects Kalibak, hoping the boy had learned a lesson.

Kalibak later spends some time in an Apokolips prison, on Darkseid's orders. Darkseid is on Earth when Orion invades Apokolips. Justeen, a servant of Desaad, releases Kalibak to battle Orion yet again. Kalibak is swiftly subdued, but doesn't care much as Orion leaves to battle Darkseid and Kalibak hopes to gain power as a result.

Characterization: Kalibak is not a bright, but a powerful and vicious warrior.

Friends and Foes: He has a great jealousy of Orion and also longs to defeat Superman.
Me fail English? That's unpossible. - Ralph Wiggum
Thorpocalypse

Kalibak: Earth-???

Post by Thorpocalypse »

Maybe
Thorpocalypse

Kalibak: Earth-???

Post by Thorpocalypse »

Possibly
Thorpocalypse

Mantis: Earth-T1

Post by Thorpocalypse »

Enemies of Darkseid? They look more to me like victims of Mantis! - Mantis

MANTIS
PL14

OPL: 13; SPL: 5; DPL: 14; FWPL: 12; HP: 1
Height: 6-4
Weight: 225
Eyes: Orange
Hair: None
Skin: Olive

ABILITIES: STRENGTH 15, STAMINA 12, AGILITY 6, DEXTERITY 6, FIGHTING 10, INTELLECT 2, AWARENESS 4, PRESENCE 3

SKILLS: Acrobatics 1 (+7), Athletics (+15), Deception 4 (+7), Insight (+4), Intimidation 7 (+10), Perception 3 (+7), Persuasion 4 (+7), Ranged Combat [Blast] 4 (+10), Stealth 1 (+7), Technology 8 (+10)

ADVANTAGES: Benefit (5) (Status, Resources 5 – Darkseid’s Elite, Leader of Bug People of New Genesis), Close Attack (1), Fearless, Power Attack (3) (Energy Blast, Energy Strike, Unarmed)

POWERS:
New God Physiology: Protection 4, Impervious Toughness 9, Regeneration 2 (1/every 5 rounds); 15 pts
Immortal: Immunity 11 (Aging, Life Support); 11 pts
Energy Detection:Senses 7 (Detect Energy [Analytical, Extended 2, Radius], Infravision, Ultravision); 7 pts
Flight: Flight 8 (500 mph/1 mpr); 16 pts
Energy Control: 36 pt Array; 39 pts
Anti-Matter Burst: Burst Area Anti-Matter Energy Damage 12 (Extra: Burst Area [30 ft radius], Penetrating 12); 36 pts
Energy Blast: Ranged Energy Damage 14 (Extra: Penetrating 8, Variable Descriptor 2 [Heat, Cold, Anti-Matter or Energy Absorbed]); 1 pt
Energy Strike: Strength-based Energy Damage 0 (Extra: Penetrating 10); 1 pt
Boom Tubes: Movement 3 (Space Travel 3 [Any star system], Extra: Portal); 1 pt

Energy Vampire: Protection 2 (Flaw: Limited to energy effects), Impervious Toughness 4 (Flaw: Limited to energy effects), Immunity 40 (Energy Damage, Flaw: Limited to half effect), Enhanced Enhanced Fortitude 4 (Flaw: Limited to Energy Effects). Energy Blast 2 (Flaw: Fades), Healing 5 (Flaw: Fades); 34 pts

EQUIPMENT:
NONE

OFFENSE:
Initiative +6
Close Attack +11 [Unarmed +15; Energy Strike +15]
Ranged Attack +6
Blast +10 [Energy Blast +14; Absorbed Energy Blast +16]
Special Attack [Anti-Matter Burst +12, [Burst Area]

DEFENSES:
Dodge +10 [DC20] Parry +10 [DC20]
Toughness +16 (+5 Impervious, +18 against energy effects, +9 Impervious against energy effects), Fortitude +12 (+16 against energy effects), Will +8

COMPLICATIONS:
Power Loss: If denied of, or if he expends too much energy, he has to return to his power pod to recharge.
Responsibility: To Darkseid.
Rivalry: Sometimes with Darkseid as he sometimes tries to rebel against him.
Vulnerable: All New Gods are vulnerable to Radion.

Abilities 116 + Skills 16 (32 ranks) + Advantages 10 + Powers 120 + Defenses 8 = 270 / 270

Build Comments: The first time I really saw Mantis was when he took on Superman and Captain Atom in JLU. I haven’t seen all of the Superman TAS where Superman was originally dealing with Darkseid, actually. Anyway, he had a good showing and I didn’t realize how tough he really was until I read up on him. He’s a good one-on-one for Clark and definitely a battle for a PL10 team.

Secret Origins: Mantis is one of the "bug" people of New Genesis and has been given some of his superhuman powers by Darkseid.

The Story so Far/Characterization/Friends and Foes: Mantis left New Genesis first for Apokolips and then for Earth, where he planned to conquer as much of the planet as he possible could. He did this with the blessing of Darkseid, who hoped that the chaos Mantis created woukd help him in locating the human mind holding the all powerful Anti-life Equation.

The bug has been referred to as the Energy Vampire, due to his ability to drain energy from his enemies. To regain his strength after a loosing battle, Mantis sometimes rests in a tomb-like cacoon.

The Forever People summoned the Infinity Man who defeated Mantis and ended his first assault on Earth. Mantis then organised the inhabitants of the "bug" colonies of New Genesis into an army that invaded Earth. Lightray, Orion and Forager battled Mantis and his army and forced them to retreat. Mantis went on to aid Darkseid in his continual attempts to conquer the Earth.

During Orion's reign on Apokolips, Mantis retreated to New Genesis in order to "plant" firepits on the beautiful planet. He was quickly stopped by Mark Moonrider and Big Bear of the Forever People.

Like most of Darkseid's minions, there were occasions when Mantis has risen up against his master, and was punished in the most severe way.
Thorpocalypse

Mantis: Earth-???

Post by Thorpocalypse »

Later
Thorpocalypse

Mantis: Earth-???

Post by Thorpocalypse »

Maybe
Ares
Site Admin

Re: J-Mart: Parademons, Steppenwolf, DeSaad, Kalibak, Mantis

Post by Ares »

I oddly feel bad for Kalibak. There's been a couple of times where it was indicated he's actually as strong as Orion and Superman, but Kalibak basically fights like a complete brute, so Orion can win via being a more skilled warrior while Superman wins thanks to his experience and variety of abilities. Most of the time Kalibak shows up and he's basically treated like a speedbump for high end heroes. I kind of feel like he should be some evil version of Hercules, a sort of "what if Hercules was a sycophantic servant to a truly evil Zeus, and would do anything for his father's approval". Anytime he shows up the heroes should know they're in for a fight, and while they can win it should never be a sure thing. In fact, the moment they get cocky should be the time Kalibak reminds them that he's no pushover.

Funny enough, there's this image of Kalibak getting easily handled by Superman, and the way the artist drew him always makes me think of Kalibak wearing Wonder Woman's outfit, at least at a quick glance.

Like Superman beat him up and then to add an extra bit of indignity, made him wear Diana's outfit before sending him back home to daddy.

Mantis is definitely supposed to be one of Darkseid's heavy hitters, and I want to say he's possibly the overall most powerful guy on Apocalypse outside of Darkseid. Which . . . tells me Apocalypse could use a few more elite baddies, though the Female Furies handle "evil enemy supers" very well. I actually remember Mantis mostly from the old Super Powers toyline and their mini-comics, where Mantis had a much more insectoid appearance and could imprison people inside of a 'power pod' to duplicate their abilities.

Mantis is kind of interesting in that he and Forager are both 'bugs', but while Darkseid elevate Mantis to this powerful energy controlling flying brick, Forager became a Batman / Captain America-esque trained normal because New Genesis allowed him the freedom to be himself.

*EDIT*

Here's Mantis' alternate look, apparently designed by Kirby himself.

"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
Thorpocalypse

Kanto: Earth-T1

Post by Thorpocalypse »

You may call me Kanto. And I am Great Darkseid's personal assassin. - Kanto

KANTO
PL11

OPL: 11; SPL: 3; DPL: 11; FWPL: 7; HP: 1
Height: 5-11
Weight: 175
Eyes: Blue
Hair: Black
Skin: Fair

ABILITIES: STRENGTH 6, STAMINA 5, AGILITY 6, DEXTERITY 4, FIGHTING 11, INTELLECT 1, AWARENESS 2, PRESENCE 1

SKILLS: Acrobatics 3 (+9), Athletics 4 (+9), Close Combat [Swords] 2 (+13), Deception 5 (+6), Expertise [Assassin] 9 (+10), Insight (+2), Intimidation 4 (+5), Investigation 6 (+7), Perception 5 (+7), Persuasion (+1), Ranged Combat [Guns] 5 (+11), Stealth 5 (+11), Technology 4 (+5)

ADVANTAGES: Benefit (3) (Status 2 – Darkseid’s Elite, Ambidexerity), Defensive Attack, Defensive Roll (2), Diehard, Equipment (3), Great Endurance, Improved Critical (1) (Swords), Improved Disarm, Move-by Action, Quick Draw, Ranged Attack (2), Takedown (1)

POWERS:
New God Physiology: Protection 1, Regeneration 2 (1/every 5 rounds); 3 pts

EQUIPMENT:
(15 pts)
Longsword: Slashing Strength-Based Damage 3, Dangerous; 4 pts
Blaster Pistol: Ranged Energy Damage 5; 10 pts

OFFENSE:
Initiative +6
Close Attack +11 [Unarmed +5]
Swords +13 [Sword +9, Critical 18-20]
Ranged Attack +6
Guns +11 [Blaster Pistol +5]

DEFENSES:
Dodge +13 [DC23] Parry +14 [DC24]
Toughness +8 (+6 without Defensive Roll), Fortitude +8, Will +6

COMPLICATIONS:
Motivation: Kanto is a master swordsman and fighter, and considers his work his art.

Abilities 72 + Skills 26 (52 ranks) + Advantages 18 + Powers 5 + Defenses 17 = 138 / 138

Build Comments: One of Darkseid’s Elite who doesn’t get a whole lot of in the comics outside of Mister Miracle’s series, Kanto. He’s Darkseid’s elite assassin but doesn’t seem to be sent to kill anyone of note that I’ve ever seen in my 40+ years of reading comics.

AND I unless I missed something on the old ATT, I think I am the first person to stat him. I think he was too DC jobbery for even Jab to stat him. ;)

Secret Origins/ The Story so Far: Once a student of Granny Goodness named Iluthin, Kanto was accused of stealing weaponry from Darkseid's then-master assassin Kanto-13. Against the request of Kanto-13, young Iluthin was exiled from Apokolips to Earth during the Renaissance period. There, he trained under Italian teachers, and fell in love with a woman named Claudia. But Kanto 13 tracked him to Earth, and at the wedding altar, Kanto-13 attacked them, and killed his bride Claudia. Iluthin and Kanto 13 battled, and in the end Darkseid's assassin was defeated. Darkseid himself came to Earth and destroyed Kanto-13 for failure, and Iluthin returned to Apokolips as Darkseid's new assassin.

When Mister Miracle came back to Apokolips, Kanto was one of the obstacles that he faced.

Characterization: Kanto dresses in a quasi-Renaissance fashion, possibly to imply both royal court intrigue, and the artistic pride that he had in his assassin's work.

Friends and Foes: He has a long running rivalry with Mister Miracle.
Thorpocalypse

Kanto: Earth-???

Post by Thorpocalypse »

Possibly
Thorpocalypse

Kanto: Earth-???

Post by Thorpocalypse »

Maybe
Thorpocalypse

Granny Goodness: Earth-T1

Post by Thorpocalypse »

Love him. Serve great Darkseid. Wear your pointed helmets proudly where he leads. Die for him -- and reward Granny. - Granny Goodness

GRANNY GOODNESS
PL11

OPL: 11; SPL: -; DPL: 11; FWPL: 7; HP: 1
Height: 5-11
Weight: 250
Eyes: Blue
Hair: White
Skin: Fair

ABILITIES: STRENGTH 9, STAMINA 9, AGILITY 1, DEXTERITY 3, FIGHTING 9, INTELLECT 3, AWARENESS 4, PRESENCE 5

SKILLS: Athletics (+9), Deception 6 (+11) [Taunt], Expertise [Training] 8 (+11), Insight 6 (+10), Intimidation 6 (+11), Perception (+4), Persuasion 5 (+10), Ranged Combat [Mega Rod] 7 (+10), Stealth (+1)

ADVANTAGES: Benefit (2) (Status 2 – Darkseid’s Elite), Close Attack (2), Diehard, Great Endurance, Power Attack (1) (Mega Rod Blast), Taunt

POWERS:
New God Physiology: Protection 1, Regeneration 2 (1/every 5 rounds); 3 pts
Apokoliptikan Armor: 9 pts Traits, Easily Removable (-2 pts); 7 pts
Body Armor: Protection 2, Impervious Toughness 7; 9 pts
Mega Rod: 25 pts Traits, Easily Removable (-10 pts); 15 pts
Mega Rod Attacks: 24 pt Array; 25 pts
Mega Rod Blast: Ranged Energy Damage 12; 24 pts
Mega Rod Strike: Strength-based Bludgeoning Damage 2; 1 pt

EQUIPMENT:
NONE

OFFENSE:
Initiative +1
Close Attack +11 [Unarmed +9; Mega Rod Strike +11]
Ranged Attack +3
Mega Rod +10 [Mega Rod Blast +12]

DEFENSES:
Dodge +8 [DC18] Parry +9 [DC19]
Toughness +12 (+12 without Defensive Roll, +4 Impervious), Fortitude +9, Will +7

COMPLICATIONS:
Motivation: Granny loves to break the will of those that would defy Darkseid.

Abilities 86 + Skills 19 (38 ranks) + Advantages 8 + Powers 39 + Defenses 10 = 162 / 162

Build Comments: I love Granny Goodness. She has been nightmare fuel for me for years, especially in the old Justice League series where Ed Asner does her voice. Something about someone that cronish throwing out the sweet Granny lines while she trains people to be killers has always just creeped me out.

Secret Origins: Granny Goodness did not begin as one of the higher-level residents of Apokolips, but was instead one of the "Lowlies" - the brutally-oppressed peasant class. She was removed from her parents and trained to be one of Darkseid's "Hounds" (his elite soldiers). One part of their training was to train their dog; Goodness named hers Mercy. Through combat and training, the two bonded. As the final step of her initiation into life as a Hound, she was told to kill her beloved pet. Instead, she killed her trainer for ordering this. When Darkseid asked why, she answered that "to have done otherwise would have robbed my lord of a most valuable asset," telling him that Mercy would obey her first, but him foremost. Testing this, Darkseid ordered Mercy to kill Goodness. Mercy attacked Goodness, forcing Goodness to kill her pet. Darkseid was impressed, telling Goodness that she had graduated with honors. "You have trained Mercy so well in my name that perhaps you'll do as well training others whose blind obedience I will one day require."

The Story so Far: Darkseid had Granny run the training facility for his elite soldiers, where she uses brainwashing and torture, in a brutal parody of child care, to turn the innocent into fanatical warriors willing to kill or die for Darkseid's glory. Since the war between Apokolips and New Genesis first moved to Earth, Granny Goodness has often run Earthly orphanages, looking for potential warriors for Darkseid.

Granny runs the "orphanage" on Apokolips and is the chief of the Female Furies. She also raised Scott Free, the son of Highfather of New Genesis who had been traded for Darkseid's son as part of a peace treaty. Scott Free (a.k.a. Mister Miracle) became the first child to successfully escape one of her Orphanages.

Friends and Foes: Granny has a great desire to return Big Barda to her Furies and to capture Scott Free again.
Thorpocalypse

Granny Goodness: Earth-???

Post by Thorpocalypse »

Later
Thorpocalypse

Granny Goodness: Earth-???

Post by Thorpocalypse »

Maybe
Jabroniville

Re: Kanto: Earth-T1

Post by Jabroniville »

Thorpocalypse wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 3:22 am
Build Comments: One of Darkseid’s Elite who doesn’t get a whole lot of in the comics outside of Mister Miracle’s series, Kanto. He’s Darkseid’s elite assassin but doesn’t seem to be sent to kill anyone of note that I’ve ever seen in my 40+ years of reading comics.

AND I unless I missed something on the old ATT, I think I am the first person to stat him. I think he was too DC jobbery for even Jab to stat him. ;)
LOL, you are indeed probably the first. I'd never heard of the character until I compiled a list of New Gods characters for my thread literally yesterday :). So you scooped me by like a month, lol.
Ken

Re: J-Mart: DeSaad, Kalibak, Mantis, Kanto, Granny Goodness

Post by Ken »

What does it say about your assassin if the first syllable of his name is "can't"?
My Amazing Woman: a super-hero romantic comedy podcast.

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.