The World In The Aftermath (Formerly A World Less Magical)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Davies

Re: The World In The Aftermath (Formerly A World Less Magical)

Post by Davies »

As I said, next week will be a glimpse back to meet some who have fallen. (But since resurrecting the fallen is easier than it once was, that may not mean much.) Then a week of randomness.

However, I'm asking for feedback -- which characters who've appeared already in these pages would you appreciate getting an update about?
"I'm sorry. I love you. I'm not sorry I love you."
EternalPhoenix

Post by EternalPhoenix »

The members of the Powerhouse have mostly gone update free. And I'm still wondering how Not!Kirk's kid got out of her predicament. That's off the top of my head.
The Phoenixverse (A 2e OC 'verse!)
The Archetype Blendarama!
You, Dear Reader, may comment on any build at any time. I will be happy regardless.
Davies

Post by Davies »

EternalPhoenix wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 3:48 am The members of the Powerhouse have mostly gone update free.
Good point. Here's what I have for some of them.

Paragon:
Update 2022: As a result of the Anachronic Calamity, the personal history of Paragon and Jora has slightly altered. In 2017, they effectively adopted a young Anacreonite now known as Jimmy Young, who has recently begun a career of superheroics under the alias Renegade.

Aside from that, they are largely unchanged by recent events.
Darkwing:
Update 2022: The recent Anachronic Calamity has led Robert to temporarily retire his costumed identity and travel to Tanelorn to act as an unofficial envoy to the city of the superpowers for the Powerhouse. He has recruited a successor to replace him.
O Hombre De Oro:
Update 2021: After giving a backup Power Prism to his friend, Pedro Blanco, Victor took an extended sabbatical from the Powerhouse and left Earth behind to voyage to the distant world of Aperion. (Add a slot containing Enhanced Flight 8 and Senses 8 [hyper-extended radius acute accurate radio] to his Array.) Initially greeted warmly, he was imprisoned after revealing his ability to create new power prisms, threatening the Lightsmiths' monopoly. Freed by Technate agent Deleh Massovy, the two of them escaped Aperion with the assistance of the Amothat, heading for the Enigma Sector.

Update 2022: They arrived in the Enigma Sector at the same time as Billie Zane and Cerebron did, and pursued them through the Pillars of Eternity, thus becoming caught up in the Anachronic Calamity as members of the Anachronic Argonauts. Upon emerging in the remade reality on the Eternity Planet, Deleh and Victor took charge of the TSV Adventure and contacted the Technate to arrange for it to be transported to Earth, accompanying it. Having returned to Earth, Victor has resumed his career as a superhero, but chosen to continue his sabbatical from the Powerhouse while working with Pedro, and also fellow Prism wielders Edeth and Connor Roberts, to prepare for the arrival of the Lightsmiths who are doubtless heading to Earth, dubbing the group O Povo de Ouro/La Gente de Oro.
Snowfall:
Update 2021: Snowfall voluntarily stepped down as co-leader of the Ultra Girls, but chose to remain as a member of the team. Her relationship with the Green Inferno recently became an intimate one, in ways that she finds it both difficult and embarrassing to describe. She has also learned the nature of what the Inferno is guarding, and has shared that information with Blakestone. Neva has also recently learned that she may have another sister.

Update 2022: In addition to her heartbreak over the dissolution of the Ultra Girls, which she hopes will be only temporary, Neva has suffered another serious trauma. After learning of her relationship with the Green Inferno, Kirsten has abruptly broken off all contact with her as well as the rest of the family. This is both bewildering and hurtful. Her attempts to form some positive relationship with Icepick have also gotten her nowhere. She sometimes finds herself humming a few bars of highly copyrighted music, recently.
EternalPhoenix

Post by EternalPhoenix »

Nothing about Blue Bolt or Nereus? How about Trouble?
You, Dear Reader, may comment on any build at any time. I will be happy regardless.
Davies

Post by Davies »

The Blue Bolt:
Update 2022: Jimmy Irving started the year off by witnessing Railgun murder the Purple Haze after the two villains apparently had some sort of falling out. This has finally convinced him that Erika was completely lost to him, and he was harsher than usual in her capture. While he is still making his famous wisecracks, his humor is bleaker than it has been through most of his career, making his friends a bit uncomfortable in his presence. Privately, Jimmy is considering retiring from superheroics, inspired by the similar decision that Minuteman has made. But he believes that he cannot do this until he finds someone who can take his place as the fast guy for the Powerhouse, and is still looking for that person. (Change his Motivation to Responsibility.)
Nereus:
Update 2021: While taking some personal time after suffering injuries during the start of the Hesperan civil war, Nereus and a group of Atlantean soldiers discovered what he has dubbed "the Blue Road", a large portal linking a section of the North Atlantic seafloor with the surface beneath one of the seas of Venus, leading to encounters with the gillfolk there. They are less friendly than the Atlanteans, but the discovery has increased his own curiosity about what else might lie beneath the waves.

Update 2022: That exploration led him to discover a domed submarine city of uncertain origin located not far from New Zealand, inhabited by water breathing humans much like himself! (The Warpwitch told him something about them probably having "slid" over from some "grim" place that she expected him to know about, which bewildered him a bit.) He has established contact with them -- finding it a bit amusing that he has become a diplomat for the Powerhouse -- but is a bit distracted by his renewed relationship with Havfrue, who sought him out for comfort after the Ultra Girls broke up. He thinks she is probably taking this a bit more seriously than she should. (Improve PRE to 3, add Multilingual.)
Trouble:
Update 2021: Trouble, alongside Sun Wukong, defeated Thunder Dragon and sent him into exile, but not before learning that Bravo claims to be Fa Xing-La. She is still sorting out this challenge to her identity.

Update 2022: During the Anachronic Calamity, Trouble found herself recruited by the Anachronic Argonauts and fought numerous battles throughout history and panprobability, often fighting alongside Bravo for the first time in their lives. In the process, she learned that she was Fa Xing-La, while Bravo was a clone. Bravo has not taken this well, and their momentary alliance fell apart at a critical moment which almost ruined the effort to repair the damage to reality. It ultimately did succeed … but ever since, Trouble has occasionally felt as though she is being observed by someone that she cannot detect, and finds this uncomfortable and concerning.
EternalPhoenix

Post by EternalPhoenix »

Captain Mystic, Ventura Hayez and the intrepid crew of the TSV Adventure, and the Lasters?
Davies

Post by Davies »

Captain Mystic:
Update 2021: After leading her students on a mission to the planet Rigidat, Yuriko was startled to meet the Konan defector Treu and fall in love at first sight for the first time in her life. Learning of an imminent Konan attack on Earth, she returned there (along with her allies and Treu. While unable to assist in the defense of Earth against the invasion, she played a key role in capturing Cerebron in his most recent attack on Earth and was granted honorary membership in the Powerhouse.

Update 2022: The Captain has become one of the two senior representatives of the increased Technate presence in the Sol System, along with Admiral Hayez. Naturally, she favors the continuation of the unadministrated status of this system, as opposed to its annexation. The politics of this position are causing some strains in her relationship with Treu.
Ventura Hayez:
Update 2022: Upon intercepting a distress beacon from Station X-11, Cmd. Hayez ordered the Adventure to come to the defense of Earth during the Konan invasion. Her ship sustained heavy damage and was forced to make a landing at the Moon Base for repairs. Hayez supervised these repairs, but was horrified to see the Adventure stolen by Cerebron and some Terran criminal. She was planning to hijack the first Technate vessel that came to investigate the situation and take it in pursuit of her ship, but … (Improve AWE to 2, Technology to 6 [+8])

Update 2023: … somehow, the Adventure was returned to the Sol system by her old rival Cmd. Maharj and Deleh. Unfortunately, no sooner did it arrive than a small Technate task force also entered the system, led by the TSV Foundation under the command of her father. Ventura is currently being held in the brig of the Foundation while this incident is investigated, preparatory to her court martial. Her prospects are not good, but on the upside, she is really getting good at bouncing a ball off her cell wall!
Going to have to take a while for the Lasters, unfortunately.
EternalPhoenix

Post by EternalPhoenix »

Got two more, and I'm done. The Minor League, I think they were called? And the Ghost Sweepers after the replacement of their leader in the Calamity.
Davies

Post by Davies »

EternalPhoenix wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 6:34 pm Got two more, and I'm done. The Minor League, I think they were called? And the Ghost Sweepers after the replacement of their leader in the Calamity.
Clarity:
Update 2021: Clarity has continued to train, learning a bit from the sifu who taught his late father, Li Zuwén. This has pushed him to PL 10; add Striking Strength (Strength-based Damage 1) to his powers, add Defensive Roll to his advantages (giving him 2 ranks), increase Acrobatics to 7 (+10), Athletics to 7 (+9), Close Combat: Unarmed to 5 (+11) and Insight to 5 (+10). He suspects that he has reached the peak of his physical ability.

Update 2022: After Henry awakened from a nightmare about the Anachronic Calamity, and in particular the honestly miserable life of his counterpart on the vanished World More Grim, he decided to finally trust his teammates with the truth about his powers. They had already figured it out, but appreciated the gesture all the same.
The Material Guy:
Update 2021: The Material Guy has, despite his best efforts to avoid it, learned a few new tricks and become PL 9. Increase STR to 4, increase Close Attack to 4, and increase Dodge to 7 and Parry to 6. Increase his array to 41 points, and improve each slot as follows:

Gaseous: Add Enhanced Advantage 1 (Chokehold) and improve Affects Substantial on Strength Damage to 4 ranks.
Liquid: Improve Impervious Protection to 4 ranks.
Plasma: Add Affects Substantial on Strength Damage 1 and increase Accurate to 1 rank.
Super-Solid: Increase Enhanced Stamina to 7 ranks.

Update 2022: Brandon was surprised when the returned Primal Pattern took an interest in him ... and even more surprised when Protius confirmed that his origin had apparently involved the same processes that created the four of them! The trail that led to and away from the swimming pool where he was transformed was long cold, though, but Antaeus has promised that they will share whatever they find out with him. Which is nice, he guesses.
Moment:
Update 2021: Repeated conflicts with Severus and other opponents have resulted in Moment achieving PL 9. Increase her STA to 2, PRE to 3, Expertise: Popular Culture to 5 ranks, Persuasion to 5 ranks, Ranged Combat to 7 ranks, and base Dodge and Parry to 6 each and add Inspire to her advantages. She still occasionally suffers from Low Self-Image, but less often than she did.

Update 2022: After he tried to kidnap her parents, Moment finally lost her patience with the asshole who keeps ruining her life. Afterwards, while he was in the hospital, she finally found out what his deal is. Her first instinct was to tell him where he could shove his family money, but Clarity advised her against that. So the nonsense continues, for now. (Add Power Attack to her advantages, add Burst Area Nullify Gravity Control 9 to her array.)
Scandalous:
Update 2021: Through training and practice, sometimes assisted by Helice, who took an interest at the request of True Believer, has reached PL 9. Remove the Uncontrolled flaw from her Mind Reading (but it is still Limited to Emotions) and improve both effects under Mindwarp to 9 ranks. Improve her STA, AGL and FGT by 1 rank each, increase her Deception and Persuasion to 5 (+7), and Expertise: Art 6 (+9). She has also calmed down a bit after having begun a relationship with blind sculptor Donnie Fischer, the first person she ever met who was attracted only to the sound of her voice.

Update 2022: Lio has been having some extremely disturbing and vivid dreams recently, centered on Le Charme for some reason. She has no idea what could be up with that, but reports that her fellow artist seems to have vanished are not helping matters …
As for the Ghost Sweeprs, they're all shattered by Megan's death. and the knowledge that they're going to forget about her in --

What were we talking about again? Probably not important. Anyway, Motoko has stepped down as leader, and updated stats for Monaka Kishinami in her role as team leader will be coming along shortly.
Harnos

Post by Harnos »

I liked Madame Zozostrz's envy of mages. It makes sense for more frail or less gifted metahumans to be jealous of super-power lottery winners. She is far from being weak though.
Harnos

Re: A World Less Magical But No Less Fantastic

Post by Harnos »

Davies wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 5:42 pm Scathach

Scathach is the name to which she answers, and she does make her home on the Isle of Skye. If asked, directly, whether she is literally the figure from the legends of Ulster, her answer will vary depending on her opinion of the person doing the asking. In most cases, she will simply make a comment to the effect that such personal questions are generally considered rude. Very rarely, in her most honest moments, she will admit that she is not, and then add that she doesn't wish to discuss her origins beyond that. In a moment of total honesty, a few years ago, she further admitted that it has been so long since she was called anything else that she has forgotten the name she was given at birth, or the names she bore in the years afterward.

She was born on Cherab, some twelve hundred years ago, as one of that planet's people of tomorrow, the rising stars. She was a minor figure among them at best, but when the war came, she fought it as best she could, and survived everything that her fellows and the humans could throw at her. When the survivors left, she went with them, as a passenger on one of their space ships. Scathach thinks that she was sick and tired of the war, but can't really remember those days too clearly, either.

She knows that she was certainly sickened by the war that broke out among the overpeople less than a decade after they left Cherab, and made her own opinion of the dispute quite clear by spacing the other denizens of the ship -- some of whom were spaceworthy, probably -- then using it to leave the group. She found a world inhabited by a branch of humanity, and settled there for a time, living like a mother goddess among them and giving birth to about fifty children, all of whom inherited her immortality and became the ancestors of the Chatpaura people. But this grew tiresome to her, and so she left the world later named Sezti behind her and travelled on through the void.

Sometime around the 13th century, her voyage brought her to Earth, landing on the Isle. One of the first people she met was a Christian friar who was familiar with the Ulster cycle; seeing her spear and the proficiency with which she used it, he asked her whether she was some relation of the legendary warrior-woman of this island. Learning more, she decided to adopt this identity as her own, to make life a bit easier. She rebuilt the spaceship into a castle, hidden inside a pocket of folded space that hid it from sight -- a castle of shadows, just like in the legends. (Looking back, she's not sure how she did that. Maybe someone helped her, but she can't quite remember these details, either.)

Thereafter, she engaged in what pursuits seemed fitting for this new life. Sometimes she would hunt monsters, sometimes she was persuaded to take part in battles. Sometimes, some would seek her out to gain training in the warrior arts, just as her namesake had given that to great heroes of the past. When it suited her, she would give them what they sought. When it didn't, she would give them what they were really seeking. Early on, she might dally with them, and became a mother on this world, too. But these children did not inherit her immortality, and the pain of watching them grow old and die in an eyeblink made her stop playing such foolish games.

Years passed, and she found herself being sought out more rarely. The last time was in the early years of the previous century, when some mad doctor from the lands far to the west had her teach his son a few things. She thinks she might have taught him more than his father wanted, but it probably didn't make a difference. She's not sure anything that she's ever done has really made any difference to anyone. How can it, when life just keeps going on and on and on, with nothing ever really lasting?

Except that she knows this isn't true. In 1961, she made one of her rare trips to Portree to arrange to purchase some supplies that she couldn't manufacture herself, and visited a public house which had purchased a television. She watched the news with interest, until a report about some activities by the Insititute aired ... and her face went white as she saw their most noteworthy member. "Baraksus," she said, then left Portree at once, sealed up her castle with herself inside, and didn't even bother to take delivery of the supplies she'd ordered. She didn't come out again for thirty years.

While Scathach quickly determined that the immediate danger had passed when she emerged, she felt a certain guilt that she'd not even tried to warn anyone about what had come among them, especially after she learned the full story. So when one Robert Richmond sought her out, she didn't put him through any proving tests, but gave him the teaching he'd sought without question. She was a bit impressed that he survived it, and watched him go. A few more times since, she's given teaching to young would-be heroes, and finds a certain comfort in the notion that she's helping to prepare for the day when he comes back.

Recently, she was contacted by Exelion, who offered her a teaching position at his Academy. Scathach isn't sure that she wants to be so visible, but it's a tempting offer, and something about the man who made it seems awfully familiar ...

Scathach -- PL 13

Abilities:
STR
7 | STA 8 | AGL 6 | DEX 4 | FGT 10 | INT 1 | AWE 4 | PRE 3

Powers:
Blood of Kings: Immortality 12 (minimum of 15 minutes), Limited (not if beheaded), Stamina Check Required (DC 14); Immunity 3 (aging, disease, poison); Regeneration 10 - 22 points
Fast Learner: Comprehend Languages 4, Quirk (takes an hour to pick up a new language) - 11 points
Gae Bulg: Strength-based Ranged Damage 3, Secondary Effect (bleeding), Accurate; Easily Removable (-4 points) - 6 points
Impossibly Fast: Enhanced Advantages 2 (Improved Initiative 2); Enhanced Defenses 6 (Dodge 3, Parry 3); Quickness 3; Speed 4 (30 MPH) - 15 points
Mind of Steel: Immunity 20 (mental effects), Limited to half effect - 10 points

Advantages:
Accurate Attack, Agile Feint, All-out Attack, Defensive Attack, Defensive Roll 2, Equipment 4, Evasion 2, Fearless 2, Hide in Plain Sight, Improved Critical (spear) 4, Improved Defense, Power Attack, Precise Attack (Close/Concealment), Ranged Attack 4, Takedown, Tracking.

Equipment:
Castle of Shadows: Size Huge; Toughness 12; Features Combat Simulator, Concealed 2, Defense System, Grounds, Gym, Isolated, Living Space, Power System, Security System 2 - 18 points

Skills:
Acrobatics 6 (+12), Athletics 6 (+13), Close Combat: Spear 4 (+14), Deception 6 (+9), Expertise: Military 8 (+9), Insight 4 (+8), Intimidation 8 (+11), Perception 6 (+10), Ranged Combat: Spear 4 (+8), Stealth 6 (+12).

Offense:
Initiative +14
Unarmed +10 (Close Damage 7)
Gae Bulg +16 (Close Damage 10, Crit 15-20)
Thrown Gae Bulg +14 (Ranged Damage 10, Crit 15-20)

Defense:
Dodge 12/9, Parry 13/10, Fortitude 11, Toughness 13/8, Will 12

Totals:
Abilities 86 + Powers 64 + Advantages 28 + Skills 29 + Defenses 14 = 221 points

Complications:
Boredom--Motivation. Fear (other 'rising stars', especially him.) Show-off.
The X-Men and Aberrant-Trinity inspiration on this background is very lovely and nicely integrated into Earth's and galaxy's history. It also shows how a long lived or immortal being can sire many offspring in his lifetime which is an issue rarely shown in sci-fi and fantasy. Stamina check flaw on immortality is a nice way of telling it can be overloaded with immense damage i think.
Davies

Post by Davies »

Harnos wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 1:33 pm I liked Madame Zozostrz's envy of mages. It makes sense for more frail or less gifted metahumans to be jealous of super-power lottery winners. She is far from being weak though.
Often, the ones who are the most envious are the ones who have the most that they fail to appreciate.
Harnos wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 3:08 pm The X-Men and Aberrant-Trinity inspiration on this background is very lovely and nicely integrated into Earth's and galaxy's history. It also shows how a long lived or immortal being can sire many offspring in his lifetime which is an issue rarely shown in sci-fi and fantasy. Stamina check flaw on immortality is a nice way of telling it can be overloaded with immense damage i think.
It's inspired by some of BatgirlIII's comments on how Highlander immortals are incredibly random when it comes to how quickly they return to life. With this power, it's likewise random. The number of ranks of Immortality that she has depends on how well she rolls, with the maximum of 15 minutes requiring a roll of 18 or better. On a roll of 5 or less, she can't try again for at least a month. As a house rule, her current injury penalty could apply to that roll ...

Anyway, I'm sad to say that owing to some unforeseen and frustrating complications, I'm not going to be able to make any of the posts I was planning to make for about a week.
EternalPhoenix

Post by EternalPhoenix »

Sadness. Sympathy. Many virtual hugs for your troubles.
Davies

Post by Davies »

Updates for the (now former) Ultra Girls who haven't been covered yet.

Le Charme:
Update 2022: Le Charme has vanished without a trace. Her fate is a mystery.
Belle Dormond:
Update 2022: The Ultra Girls have broken up, and Belle is fairly sure that it is her fault. After Le Charme disappeared, she insisted that they had to find out what happened to her, and led Danielle and Kellysue to quit rather than accept the decision Magnolia had made. Those two are investigating on their own, leaving Belle to contemplate just how much of a mistake this may have been …

However, she has begun to demonstrate some of the talents possessed by her Summons. Add Agile Feint, Fearless, Uncanny Dodge and Well-informed to her advantages, and Acrobatics 8 (+10) and Expertise: Magic 8 (+10) to skills, and improve Deception to 5 (+7) and Persuasion to 7 (+9).
Danielle Caponego:
Update 2022: The Ultra Girls have broken up due to Danielle agreeing with Belle that they should prioritize finding Le Charme. That was not what Dani wanted to happen, but it did, and she refuses to second-guess herself. She is currently running part of the investigation while Riverwind deals with her recent powerup, with her research focusing on an entity known as the Dreamfiend. Her current assignment with Argus is to act as chief of security for the Bethany Ryan School for Accelerated Studies. (Add Benefit [security clearance] and Leadership to her advantages, and improve both Insight and Perception to 6 [+9].)
Havfrue:
Update 2022: The worst that could happen has -- the Ultra Girls dissolved into an argument that Hanna could not defuse, and went their separate ways. She has reacted by throwing herself into a renewed relationship with Nereus while acting as his partner in crimefighting and exploration. Between these experiences and some training beforehand, she has made PL 9; improve AGL to 3, FGT to 6, add Evasion and Move-by Action to advantages, improve Persuasion to 6 (+8), and improve Dodge to 7.
Magnolia:
Update 2021: Magnolia has finally gained the position of leadership that she wanted, to mixed results. She has also come clean with her teammates about an aspect of her origins that she had kept secret until now -- that she was assigned a male gender at birth, and transitioned following her desertion with the assistance of Prometheus, whom she still owes a favor. They have accepted her and promised to help her if he ever demands more than she is willing to give.

Unbeknownst to her, following her departure from the Ultra Girls, Blakestone did some investigating and discovered the above for herself, as well as the likelihood that Magnolia is the daughter of Carmen Alejo, aka El Gato. She has not yet decided what to do with the latter fact.

Update 2022: How did it suddenly go so wrong? When the team discovered that Le Charme had gone missing, Magnolia decided that they should treat her disappearance as voluntary in the absence of other evidence. To her shock, half of the group insisted on investigating and quit! Now the group effectively no longer exists.

On the other hand, her personal abilities have continued to improve. She is now PL 9; increase STR to 3, STA to 3, FGT to 10, INT to 1, and AWE to 3, and add Uncanny Dodge to her advantages and Sleight of Hand 4 (+8) to skills, improving Stealth to 6 (+10).
Riverwind:
Update 2022: In the aftermath of the Anachronic Calamity, Riverwind has seen her powers change and increase dramatically, becoming similar to those of her counterpart from a now-destroyed reality. The implications of this are still unclear. She has become PL10; increase Perception to 7 (+9) and Ranged Combat: Aura to 5 (+8), add Agile Feint and Uncanny Dodge, increase Dodge to 8 and Parry to 7, and replace all powers with the following:
Polychromatic Aura: Array (24 points)
  • Red/Heat Blast: Ranged Damage 12 - 24 points
  • Orange/Tractor Beam: Move Object 12 (100 tons) - 1 point
  • Yellow/Blinding Light: Ranged Cumulative Affliction 12 (Resisted by Fortitude; Visually Impaired, Visually Disabled, Visually Unaware), Limited to One Sense - 1 point
  • Green/Grapple Beam: Ranged Affliction 12 (Resisted by Dodge, Overcome by Damage; Hindered & Vulnerable, Defenseless & Immobile), Extra Condition, Limited Degree - 1 point
  • Blue/Stun Bolt: Ranged Cumulative Affliction 8 (Resisted by Fortitude; Dazed, Stunned, Incapacitated) - 1 point
  • Indigo/Healing Ray: Ranged Healing 8 - 1 point
  • Violet/Antipsi: Nullify Psychic Powers 12, Broad - 1 point
Instant Change: Feature 1 (change from any clothes to costume) - 1 point
Regenerating Physique: Immunity 11 (aging, life support); Regeneration 10; Senses 2 (darkvision) - 23 points
Translucent Aura: Linked Flight 14 (32,000 MPH), Aquatic; Linked Sustained Protection 10 - 39 points
Davies

Post by Davies »

Updates for some villainous types:

Jack:
Update 2022: Recently, when the new Darkwing, Dancer and Shadowjack were preparing a confrontation with Jack, something Dancer said about his origins on Daath inspired Shadowjack to improvise a ritual that he thought might break him apart into his components once again. This was only partially successful, with one of the entities which made him up escaping from his form as a ghost-like entity. In the aftermath, Jack has since seemed weaker than he was before, but more focused. Reduce his STR to 3, STA to 5, FGT to 8; add Limited to half effect to Immunity, add Unreliable to Reaction Damage; drop Improved Critical 2, add Improved Defense, Improved Disarm, Uncanny Dodge and Weapon Bind to advantages, increase Ranged Attack: Guns to 9 (+12), reduce Intimidation to 9 (+13), and increase Will to 10.

On the other hand, the ghost-like entity has been possessing people and causing them to engage in ritualistic homicides using a knife. It was dubbed the Dybbuk after a number of attacks against rabbinical students at a Chicago seminary.
The Schemer:
Update 2022: Austin Loomis has often noted that a great deal of the happiness that Paragon apparently experiences comes from his family, and wondered what it would be like to have one of his own. The opportunity has never come up, until recently, when he met Abigail Hypson, a somewhat mysterious individual who seems to have come out of nowhere, figured out his activities, and indicated that she would be interested in being of assistance in them. While suspicious, he has come to find her competence and enigmatic nature fascinating, and has accepted her as a partner. (Her stats are exactly equal to his own, minus all powers, Benefits and X trait advantages, but increase her INT to 9 and reduce all INT-based skills except Technology by 2 ranks, reduce Insight to 4 [+12], and increase Deception to 8 [+14]. Oh, and add Inventor and Expertise: Dimensional 2 [+11].)
Shaitan Topaz:
Update 2021: Shaitan recently learned that the Inquisition had dispatched a pair of bounty hunters, Sister Night and Tarmund the Hunter, to return her to the Imperium. Her efforts to avoid them resulted in her becoming a 'guest' of Thunder Dragon. This annoyed her, but not as much as the realization that the only person who wanted to help her escape this situation was Logan! And then he actually did so, after shattering her image of the Grand Inquisitor. Now she really wants to kill him, but has chosen to focus on the problem of returning to the Imperium and dealing with other matters first.

Update 2022: She recently arrived in the Imperium -- a bit perplexed that the trip took longer than she expected, but such are the vagaries of hyperspace -- but became caught up in the events surrounding the arrival there of those obnoxious bounty hunters, now allied with a collection of Terran criminals, before she could report in. Consequently, she found herself contacted by one Bezenst, who proffered information that Shaitan had never known about her own personal history. She is still processing all this while allowing the creature to believe that she shares its ambitions of overthrowing the Crimson King.
Jodie Crowley:
Update 2021: In a recent conflict with Blakestone and the Vagabonds, Crowley suffered a major defeat and has been imprisoned in a magically warded cell under the supervision of Dame Beatrice Barrowman. It has also been discovered that they have a fourteen-year-old son, raised in ignorance of his heritage. (Add Family as a complication. He is the only thing in the universe that they love.)

Update 2022: They have finally learned the meaning of that augury, as the now Ascendant Abraxas has contacted them directly and offered them assistance in exchange for service. Naturally, Crowley intends to serve this lord and master only long enough to win immortality and even greater power. (They are now PL 13; increase each ability by 2 ranks, increase their array to 52 points, and also add the complication Patron [Abraxas].)