Solar's Build Thread - The In-Between-Updates Update!

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
MarvelLion

Re: Solar's Build Thread - Boku no VILLAIN Academia Update

Post by MarvelLion »

SolarOracle wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 7:39 pm
MarvelLion wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 9:57 am Nice job with Setsuno.
Personally, I tried his Quirk as both very low rank Move Object and very low rank Teleport, but neither really seemed to fit. I think your build of it simply being a 5-rank Feature is far more accurate. I also like that you didn't give him any Strength ranks and not many ranks for using his katana, because it always seemed to me like it was something he carried with him to seem tough and intimidating, not because he could actually use it well. I could very well be wrong about that, though, given how little we saw Setsuno do outside of use his Quirk, but it doesn't seem likely.
Thanks. : D

I played around with the idea of doing it as a Teleport effect as well, but quickly ended up giving up on that. Like I said, I'm pretty proud of the workaround of doing it as a Feature, LOL. As for it having Multiattack, I don't think that's the case. I decided to reread the chapter after you brought that up, since I vaguely remembered Setsuno targeting various cops, but he only seems to have targeted the police squad leader (who, now that I think about it, I don't think has a name despite being a recurring character. Huh, weird) before being stopped by Aizawa's quirk.
Ah, cool! I'm sorry, too, I probably could have just checked myself, hahaha

Nice Hojo build, but that's really all I can say. He has a pretty basic Quirk; effective, but basic, and his whole schtick was "scowl and look tough."
Though I can say: While Suneater eating one of Hojo'a crystals was a good plan, I can't imagine how much it had to have hurt to swallow one.
SolarOracle

Tabe

Post by SolarOracle »

Tabe Soramitsu

Identity: Tabe Soramitsu, Public Identity.
Height: Unknown.
Weight: Unknown.
Eyes: Black.
Hair: Black.
Skin: Pale.
Quirk Type: Mutant.
Group: Shie Hassaikai, The Eight Bullets.
Base of Operations: Japan, Shie Hassaikai’s Headquarters.

Power Level 6 (PL 7 Quirk) - 46 Character Points

Abilities
Strength 0, Agility 2, Fighting 4, Awareness -1
Stamina 3, Dexterity 0, Intellect -1, Presence 0

Powers
Quirk - Food

Damage 6. [6]
Bottomless Stomach: Immunity 1 (Overeating). [1]

Advantages
All-out Attack, Close Attack 2

Skills
Athletics 4
(+4 total).
Close Combat (Food) 2 (+8 total).
Expertise (Yakuza) 3 (+2 total).
Perception 3 (+2 total).

Offense
Initiative +2
Unarmed
+6, close damage 0.
Food +8, close damage 6.

Defense
Dodge 7, Fortitude 6, Parry 9, Toughness 3, Will 2

Complications

Can’t Fit In With Society: Tabe was invited to join the Shie Hassaikai due to him “not being able to fit in with society and being tossed aside.” It can be interpreted that this is due to his quirk giving him immense hunger and driving him to attack others or something similar.

Mental Instability: Tabe seems to suffer from some form of mental instability, being driven mostly by his hunger and desire to eat more than anything else, barely ever speaking anything other than exclaiming “Food!”

14 Abilities, 7 Powers, 3 Advantages, 6 Skills, 16 Defenses = 46 Character Points

About: The fourth of the Eight Bullets we see in action, Tabe is a strange gangly man who doesn't ever speak other than exclaiming "Food!" completely obsessed with eating at all times due to his bottomless stomach. His quirk, Food, allows him to bite. eat away and digest most things, including non-edible stuff, and gives him a bottomless stomach, allowing him to eat away as much as he desires, tho it doesn't protect him from poisonous substances he may ingest, with Tabe using his quirk in combat to eat away parts of his opponent and objects they are carrying, but has the major drawback of constantly making him extremely hungry, which is probably what lead him to his insanity.

Probably due to the side effects of his quirk, Tabe was unable to fit in with normal society, and was alienated, ostracized and pushed away from regular society, eventually being found by Overhaul together with Setsuno and Hojo and being offered a spot in the yakuza along them.

During the Shie Hassaikai arc, when the raid team is tricked by Mimic to fall inside the underground maze inside the Shie Hassaikai headquarters, Tabe is one of the three men waiting to ambush the heroes and police, together with Setsuno and Hojo, staying completely silent and still the whole time before battle starts to ensue. When Suneater declares that he will be the one to fight the three so they don't manage to delay the raid team in capturing Overhaul, Tabe is preemptively knocked out by Eraser Head before he leaves with the rest of the group, in an attempt to make the fight simpler for Amajiki.

As Tabe wakes up during the fight, he desperately and recklessly charges towards Amajiki repeatedly, and eats away at the defenses and weapons Amajiki is creating through his quirk, reducing their size enough for Setsuno to be able to neutralize them through his quirk and allowing for Hojo to strike Suneater with his powerful crystal attacks, severely damaging and tiring the hero as they repeat the process various times.

However, as the trio attempts to finish Amajiki off, he turns the tide of battle by eating some of Hojo's crystals, allowing him to manifest them himself through his quirk and defeat the three with a single powerful attack, knocking them out so they can be captured by the police later.

I like Tabe's quirk and how it represents powers being able to be a negative force in the life of people as well, in this case preventing Tabe from living a normal life and sending him on a dark path and all. That said, it's a shame he is such a boring character, since there isn't anything to him other than him being insane and repeatedly screaming food and all that.

For his build, I was originally gonna give his quirk some ranks of Penetrating, but decided not to since I assume hard enough materials would still be able to offer resistance to his bite and all that. The Immunity (Overeating) part of it I shamelessly stole from Jab's Matter Eating Lad build, so thanks for that, Jab, LOL. Aside from that, I guess I'll also note that he ended up being a very cheap build, due to his low Intellect and Awareness and him lacking in Advantages and Skills, mainly Interaction Skills, due to how he fights without much tact or strategy and doesn't really seem able to normally socialize with others. I considered making his mental Abilities lower, but decided on just doing them as -1 and giving hima complication, since he still seems to be able to generally grasp concepts to some degree, assisting in teamwork somewhat and obeying Overhaul's orders and stuff.

Outfits: Tabe wears a purple dress shirt, a pair of jeans with exposed ankles and a pair of black social shoes. His Shie Hassaikai mask is a large sack tied over his head with eye holes and a stitched line over his oversized mouth, with the stitches breaking away and exposing his mouth when he uses his quirk.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

These guys seem somewhat interesting in that a few have unique powers, but they're mostly the equivalent of Marvel's "Sketchpad Characters" with a bit more thought put into their abilities. They seem to just act as speed-bumps for others, though in this case they appear to challenge actual Pro Heroes, who are quite advanced over the students.

So the main 2-3 guys in the group get all the real focus, while the rest are just kinda "There". They even have a Team Motif!

The link to the Yakuza is interesting, though. In particular, the fact that a kindlier, more moral Yakuza boss is the one who took in the main guy, who betrayed him and left him in a coma so they could do things so evil even the BOSS wouldn't do them! This oddly moral boss reminds me of just how entrenched within Japanese society the Yakuza really is (with nearly all the media being involved with them in some way)- it seems that the writer goes out of his way to make the Yakuza villains "look cool", but makes sure that we know the legitimate, actual Yakuza guy wouldn't be as even as the rest of them.

Because, uh, it is seen as a somewhat bad idea for a mild-mannered Japanese mangaka to outright be like "lol let's rip on the Yakuza!". When the writer of Crying Freeman wrote a story in which the Yakuza were villains, they bought him a watch and "convinced" him to write Freeman- a story in which the Yakuza were the protagonists fighting evil-er foreign mobsters. I'm going to assume the "Convincing" wasn't as polite as the story suggests.
MarvelLion

Post by MarvelLion »

Nice Tabe build. Like Hojo, he also has a very simple but effective Quirk, and while I don't find him particularly interesting overall, he's at least a bit more interesting than Hojo and Setsuno, in my opinion. But that's mostly from the fact that his Quirk shows how people can be ostracized due to their abilities, even in a society where 80% of the population has some unusual trait.

I'm looking forward to the rest of the Bullets! I hope you're able to "Rappa" up the next one and post it soon...
Yes, a bad joke and a shameless request all in one. I'm sorry.
SolarOracle

Post by SolarOracle »

Jabroniville wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:19 am These guys seem somewhat interesting in that a few have unique powers, but they're mostly the equivalent of Marvel's "Sketchpad Characters" with a bit more thought put into their abilities. They seem to just act as speed-bumps for others, though in this case they appear to challenge actual Pro Heroes, who are quite advanced over the students.

So the main 2-3 guys in the group get all the real focus, while the rest are just kinda "There". They even have a Team Motif!
Hm, sort of, but not really entirely. All of the Eight Bullets are meant to be big boss fights for other characters, and most of the arc is spent on the fights against them, despite most of them being pretty weak, the exception being only really Rappa and Katsukame, who are by themselves comparable or even stronger than other heroes and villains. What made their fights end up being challenging for the characters is how most of them end up fighting in groups and combining their powers in ways that make the fight against them be extremely difficult for the heroes, like the trio using their quirk to take away Amajiki's defenses and attacks or Sakaki and Nemoto coordinating their quirks and manipulation abilities to leave Mirio vulnerable both physically and emotionally. This all kind of makes them be pretty big fights that end up with whoever partook in them being pretty much knocked out for the rest of the arc, so I wouldn't really say they are minor bumps, tho individually, they are all mostly pitiful.
MarvelLion wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 9:00 am I'm looking forward to the rest of the Bullets! I hope you're able to "Rappa" up the next one and post it soon...
Yes, a bad joke and a shameless request all in one. I'm sorry.
LOL, don't worry, Rappa's next since he was the next member of the Eight Bullets to show up.
SolarOracle

Rappa

Post by SolarOracle »

Couldn't find the source for this fanart, sorry.

Rappa Kendo

Identity: Rappa Kendo, Public Identity.
Eyes: Yellow.
Hair: Auburn.
Skin: Tan.
Quirk Type: Emitter (apparently and according to the wiki. It probably makes more sense for it to be Mutant).

Power Level 11 - 111 Character Points

Abilities
Strength 5, Agility 3, Fighting 7, Awareness 0
Stamina 5, Dexterity 1, Intellect 0, Presence 0

Powers
Quirk - Strongarm

Unarmed Damage +5 (Extras: Multiattack 10). [15]

Advantages
All-out Attack, Close Attack, Defensive Roll 3, Diehard, Great Endurance, Improved Critical (Unarmed) 2, Power Attack, Takedown 2

Skills
Athletics 4
(+9 total).
Close Combat (Unarmed) 3 (+11 total).
Expertise (Underground Fighter) 6 (+6 total).
Expertise (Yakuza) 2 (+2 total).
Insight 5 (+5 total).
Intimidation 4 (+4 total).
Perception 4 (+4 total).

Offense
Initiative +3
Unarmed
+11, close damage 10, critical 18-20.

Defense
Dodge 10, Fortitude 9, Parry 13, Toughness 5/8*, Will 5
*8 with defensive roll.

Complications

Motivation: The Thrill of Battle: Rappa lives to fight to the death against strong and powerful opponents and claims to only really feel alive while trading blows with someone without holding back. He joined the Shie Hassaikai to be able to continue challenging Overhaul to try to kill him in a battle.

Muscle Damage: Rappa’s quirk is taxing on his joints and muscles, and he risks getting muscular and bone damage the more he uses it.

42 Abilities, 15 Powers, 12 Advantages, 19 Skills, 23 Defenses = 111 Character Points

About: By far the strongest and most dangerous of the Eight Bullets, Rappa is a large and muscular guy who is obsessed with the idea of fighting strong people to the death. His quirk, Strongarm, allows him to displace, extend and rotate his shoulder at great speeds, allowing him do deliver powerful flurries of punches. Rappa's quirk is damaging to his arms, and increases his risk of getting muscular damage the more he uses it, tho he doesn't seem to care about this drawback due to his impulsive and destructive nature.

Rappa started out in the criminal underworld while young, joining underground fight clubs as an act of teenage rebellion against his parents. Due to his love of fighting and killing others, Rappa quickly became a prominent fighter, being able to fulfill his desire of killing others due to the "no rules" nature of the illegal fight scene. Eventually, he was sought out by Overhaul, who wanted him to join the Shie Hassaikai, but Rappa turned him down and challenged him to a fight instead, which ended with Overhaul quickly destroying Rappa through his quirk and reconstructing him later, making Rappa obsessed with killing Overhaul in combat, joining the Eight Bullets so he could continue to challenge him, something Overhaul sees as annoying.

During the Shie Hassaikai arc, Rappa, paired with Tengai, end up fighting against Fat Gum and Kirishima, who fell for one of Mimic's traps to separate them from the group and sending them to an ambush by the pair. During this fight, Rappa gets annoyed at Tengai due to him using his quirk to protect them, as he says he wants a fair fight where he is risking himself too, annoying Tengai enough for him to agree to not use his quirk. As the fight goes on, Rappa shows the immense power of his quirk, being able to take out Kirishima even when he was using his Unbreakable super move, and slowly damaging Fat Gum more and more through his punches.

As the fight continues, Fat Gum's body fat reduces more and more as he is attacked by Rappa, planning to unleash the kinetic energy he has absorbed in a single powerful attack to knock out his enemies, but can't get a breach to use his attack due to Rappa's punch barrage. Eventually tho, through sheer willpower, Kirishima awakens and rushes to protect Fat Gum from Rappa's finishing attack, attempting to punch the villain but being blocked by Tengai's barrier, an interception that greatly bothers Rappa. However, due to this intervention, Fat Gum is able to unleash his attack, which is strong enough to break through Hekiji's barrier and send Rappa flying towards his partner.

However, Rappa manages to survive the attack, getting up from the ground as Fat Gum is tending to Kirishima, but quickly tells the hero not to worry, as he didn't want to fight yet, since Red Riot wasn't at a recovered state yet and Hekiji interfering repeatedly, making the fight unfair, saying he prefers them to survive so he can fight them again another day. As he is saying that, Hekiji gets up as well and yells at Rappa due to how stupid he is being, but Rappa quickly knocks him out with a punch, offering to help with treating Kirishima's wounds and taking Fat Gum to the infirmary, hoping to fight Red Riot again when he recovers.

As Kirishima is recovering and Hekiji is tied up, Fat Gum starts asking Rappa questions about Overhaul's plan, to which Hekiji scoffs by saying they would never tell him, but is comically immediately followed by Rappa explaining Overhaul's plan immediately to Hekiji's annoyance and disbelief, with Rappa saying he has no reason to be loyal to Overhaul, as he is only his follower so he can kill him in a fight. As Rappa and Fat Gum continue to wait, the the police finally catches up to them and captures both Rappa and Hekiji.

In the Vigilantes spinoff, we get to see a bit more of Rappa in his younger days on the illegal fighting ring during the Underground Masquerade arc, where we are shown a flashback of O'Clock infiltrating the Underground Masquerade fight club, due to hearing rumors that the fighters were being used for experimenting on the development of trigger.

O'Clock successfully infiltrates the Masquerade by assuming the identity of "The Ripper" and adopting a military persona, and ends up being pitted against Rappa, who went by "The Rapper" back then (a name I have no idea why he would take, seeing as he, in fact, does not rap, LOL. I assume Furuhashi thought it sounded cool and similar to his name of Rappa, so it would be equivalent of him taking the ring name of "The Rappinator" or someshit, and it just ends up sounding really dumb to an international audience), and ends up complaining about how similar their names sound, and that the fact that Ripper is fighting with a tactical knife as a weapon is cowardly in his view, as "real men should fight with their bare hands."

As the two start fighting, due to O'Clock's quirk, he is able to perceive Rappa's attacks with ease, dodging them with ease while he analysed the surroundings to continue with his mission, eventually feigning getting knocked out by Rappa's attacks so he could explore and investigate the recovery rooms of the Underground Masquerade, but as Rappa notices that something was off about how The Ripper was fighting, he follows him to the recovery room and gives him half the prize money since the fight wasn't fair due to his opponent not really intending on fighting, which O'Clock denies and refuses to take the money as he continues his investigation, but Rappa continues following him.

As both are walking around, the event is crashed by a young Mirko, back when she was still a high schooler, assuming the identity of "Tiger Bunny" in an attempt to be able to partake in the fights due to her impulsive and battle obsessed nature, saying that she will take on any challenger, starting a huge one vs many brawl in the ring, and O'Clock attempting to take advantage of the chaos to escape the building and report on the information he got.

However, as this is going on, All For One takes advantage of the situation to test their experimental version of Trigger, planning on having Kurogiri teleport away anyone with a quirk that catches his attention, filling the room with a gas that puts makes everyone in the room out of control and enhances their quirk, making it so the chaotic battle royale continues, forcing O'Clock, Rappa and Mirko to join up and equip gas masks to counteract the effects of the trigger gas.

As the trio joins up and O'Clock informs them on his plan to fight off the members of the Underground Masquerade, Rappa and Mirko begin arguing about their fighting styles and how they prefer punching or kicking people respectively and the merits and advantages of each one, deciding to settle it by seeing who can take down the most opponents, with O'Clock using his authority as a hero to tell them to do so non-lethally as the people affected by Trigger are innocents, which Rappa reluctantly accepts.

As the situation continues, All For One takes notice of the three and unleashes a prototype version of Hood, a powerful high end nomu, to fight them off, forcing Rappa and O'Clock to hold him off while Mirko escaped the arena to call for help, Rappa finally excited to have an opponent he can go all out on, leading to difficult battle that ends with All For One being forced to retreat Hood upon All Might's arrival.

After the event, the three part ways, with Mirko stating that she plans to be a hero after graduating so she can have opportunities to have exciting fights against villains and Rappa declining O'Clock's offer to grant him a provisional hero license, as he says he belongs on death matches and arenas instead, making his way towards a dark alley while Mirko walks towards the illuminated streets, creating a clear parallel between the two.

Rappa is a fan favorite character and the most interesting of the Eight Bullets by a lot for me, due to his excited personality, great power and strange moral code. We haven't seen him since the Shie Hassaikai arc, but I really hope he makes some form of appearance in this final arc of the story. Regardless of that, having been able to see more of him in the Vigilantes manga was really cool, especially with how he is compared to Mirko, whose personality is effectively a more heroic and less murderous version of his, which was a pretty brilliant thing for Furuhashi to notice.

Buildwise, Rappa has the highest overall PL of all the Shie Hassaikai, at PL 10.5, not counting Overhaul's intant-kill attacks and the like. I gave him quite a few ranks of Defensive Roll due to him having a lot of experience in the fight ring, and gave him a higher Parry than Dodge for that reason too, as he is more used to dealing with close quarters attacks.

Outfits: Rappa's is seen wearing a simple white shirt, a pair of black pants, a stylized belt and a blue tunic around his waist, as well as a pair of gloves with leather straps and metal knuckles. His mask is a black crow-like mask with a tattered back that exposes his hair, a metallic underbeak and yellow lines around his eyes. He wears a similar mask back when he was in the Underground Masquerade, but lacking the beak part of it.
Last edited by SolarOracle on Mon Oct 25, 2021 4:21 am, edited 2 times in total.
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

The whole Fat Gum / Red Riot / Rappa fight is a highlight for me, seeing Kirishima get back up, having a nice mini character arc, Fat Gum giving Kirishima full credit for their win, etc. Just a great moment overall.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
MarvelLion

Post by MarvelLion »

Oh yeah! Rappa, the best of the Eight Bullets! Gotta' love him for his twisted code of honor, and his willingness to respect his enemies; like most of the villains in the series, he's not evil for the sake of it. I also love that his Quirk is something so simple but so interesting at the same time.
Also, as Ares sais, his fight with Red Riot and Fat Gum was fantastic. Easily in my top five fights of the series, though I admit some bias because Red Riot is probably my favorite character.

Your build perfectly captures Rappa, except that I would maybe give him a couple of ranks in Intimidation. Regardless of that, great job, and I'm looking forward to the next one!
SolarOracle

Post by SolarOracle »

MarvelLion wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 12:14 pm Your build perfectly captures Rappa, except that I would maybe give him a couple of ranks in Intimidation. Regardless of that, great job, and I'm looking forward to the next one!
Hm, I feel like the way he ends up intimidating people is mostly incidental than intentional or strategic, but I guess it would make sense fgor him to have 2 or 4 ranks of it. Thanks for the suggestion, bro, I'll make sure to add it.
SolarOracle

Tengai

Post by SolarOracle »

Tengai Hekiji

Identity: Tengai Hekiji, Public Identity.
Eyes: Grey.
Hair: Ash Blonde.
Skin: Light.
Quirk Type: Emitter.

Power Level 3 (PL 8 Quirk) - 87 Character Points

Abilities
Strength 0, Agility 0, Fighting 3, Awareness 3
Stamina 2, Dexterity 1, Intellect 2, Presence 1

Powers
Quirk - Barrier

Protection 7 (Extras: Affects Others, Impervious 10, Reach 5, Sustained). [33]

Advantages
Assessment, Close Attack

Skills
Athletics 2
(+2 total).
Close Combat (Unarmed) 2 (+6 total).
Deception 4 (+5 total).
Expertise (Buddhist Monk) 6 (+8 total).
Expertise (Yakuza) 2 (+4 total).
Insight 4 (+7 total).
Perception 4 (+7 total).
Persuasion 4 (+5 total).

Offense
Initiative +0
Unarmed
+6, close damage 0.

Defense
Dodge 6, Fortitude 4, Parry 6, Toughness 2/9*, Will 6
*9 with force field.

Complications

Motivation: Loyalty: Tengai is loyal to Overhaul and follows his orders.

Responsibility: Rappa Kendo: Tengai was put in charge of Rappa due to his tendency of challenging others to fights, which annoyed Overhaul and made him put Tengai in charge of him. Tengai is supposed to keep Rappa in check and tries to reason with him whenever he is straying from their orders, though that is rarely ever effective.

24 Abilities, 33 Powers, 2 Advantages, 14 Skills, 14 Defenses = 87 Character Points

About: Perhaps the most level headed Eight Bullets member, Tengai is a wise, calm and collected former Buddhist monk who was invited into the Shie Hassaikai by Overhaul in an attempt to pair Rappa with someone who could control his impulsive and bloodthirsty nature. His quirk, Barrier, allows him to create resistant spherical energy barriers centered on himself that are able to extend far enough to protect others as well, a quirk he uses by staying far away from the fight and shielding himself and his allies.

In the Shie Hassaikai arc, Tengai is paired up with Rappa for an ambush intended for Eraser Head, whom Overhaul wants to have captured due to his quirk, but ends up capturing Kirishima and Fat Gum instead due to them intervening and falling on the trap in his place. During the fight, Tengai points out their advantage due to them being a spear and shield pair with their quirks while their opponents are effectively a shield and a shield, but is forced by Rappa to stop using his quirk due to Rappa's obsession with it being a fair fight, tho he still plans on interfering if the heroes pull out any kind of surprise attack that could upset their upper hand.

Due to this, Tengai spends most of the fight just watching Rappa beat their opponents up with his quirk, only interfering when Fat Gum delivers his kinetic energy release, noticing that it would take Rappa down, using his quirk to soften the blow, but it still managing to break through his barrier and send Rappa flying straight into him, the both going to colide against the wall and surely be knocked out. In a moment of quick thinking, Tengai activates his quirk once again last minute to soften the blow against the wall, managing to keep the pair still conscious.

As Rappa gets up and declares the battle not to be over due to no one having died, he says they can't properly continue it as a fair match due to Kirishima being knocked out and Tengai interfering, pointing Fat Gum to the infirmary and offering to help with recovering Kirishima, which infuriates Tengai and makes him start protesting, prompting Rappa to knock him out with a punch. When the whole group is taken to the infirmary, Tengai now bound, Fat Gum starts interrogating them about Overhaul, to which Tengai starts replying by telling him about how they would never tell them anything, only to be interrupted by Rappa again, who immediately tells Fat Gum everything due to him not really being loyal to the yakuza. When the pair is next seen, they are being taken by the authorities at the end of the arc.

Tengai works really well paired with Rappa, not only due to the whole spear and shield power combination thing, but also due to their clashing personalities, and the whole thing where Tengai keeps trying to maintain control of Rappa and the situation as a whole, but ends up failing due to Rappa's impulsiveness and lack of care, which is very funny to me. His quirk is pretty powerful, but kind of uninteresting in all honesty. I feel like there could have been more interesting ways to make a forcefield power.

Buildwise, to represent the Barrier needing to be centered on Tengai, I did it as an Affects Others effect with some ranks of Reach, that allowing him to protect allies up to a considerable distance of him. I couldn't really find a good way of doing his ability to create barriers within barriers without it being overly confusing and polluted, so I decided not to include it, more than open to suggestions for that.

Other than that, this build is pretty basic, him not really being much more powerful than a mook in terms of attacks, but having a great defensive ability that puts him at PL 7.5.

Outfits: Tengai is seen wearing a long black traditional kimono and a pair of tall beige boots. His Shie Hassaikai mask is similar to Setsuno's, a long brown beak with three straps, one going over his forehead.
SolarOracle

Nemoto

Post by SolarOracle »

Nemoto Shin

Identity: Nemoto Shin, Public Identity.
Eyes: Unknown.
Hair: Unknown, light colored.
Skin: Fair.

Power Level 7 (PL 30 Quirk) - 94 Character Points

Abilities
Strength 0, Agility 1, Fighting 3, Awareness 2
Stamina 2, Dexterity 3, Intellect 1, Presence 2

Powers
Quirk - Confession

Perception Range Affliction 30 (Controlled) (Extras: Reduced Action - Move Action) (Flaws: Instant Recovery, Limited to Third Degree, Limited 2 - to Responding with the Truth). [15]

Support Item - Handgun: Flaws: Easily Removable). [6]
Ranged Damage 4. (8)

Advantages
Assessment, Close Combat, Daze (Deception), Ranged Attack 2, Taunt

Skills
Athletics 2
(+2 total).
Deception 8 (+10 total).
Expertise (Yakuza) 6 (+7 total).
Insight 8 (+9 total).
Perception 4 (+6 total).
Persuasion 3 (+5 total).
Ranged Combat (Pistols) 3 (+10 total).

Offense
Initiative +1
Unarmed
+4, close damage 0.
Pistol +10, ranged damage 4.

Defense
Dodge 12, Fortitude 4, Parry 8, Toughness 2, Will 7

Complications

Motivation: Loyalty
: Nemoto believes Overhaul to be the only completely honest person he has ever met, and he has sworn to follow and be completely loyal to him due to that, to the point he will unquestioningly risk himself for Chisaki.

28 Abilities, 21 Powers, 6 Advantages, 17 Skills, 22 Defenses = 94 Character Points

About: Another one of the Eight Bullets and one of the most loyal members of the Shie Hassaikai, Nemoto is an extremely rational and calculated man who is extremely talented at reading other people and using their emotions and insecurities against them. His quirk, Confession, allows him to force others to truthfully answer any question he asks, something he not only uses as a means of interrogation and information gathering, but as an extremely effective way of taunting and demoralizing others in combat, by asking them questions pertaining to insecurities and doubts of others.

Before joining the yakuza, Nemoto made a living as a con artist using his quirk, tho it isn't exactly clear what exactly that means. He quickly became cynical of humanity as a whole due to his profession, having people lie to him and to themselves time after time before he forced the truth out of them with his quirk. Eventually, however, he ran into Overhaul, the only person he ever met who was completely sincere about his intentions and goals, no matter how evil they were, which made Nemoto immediately admire and pledge to follow him and help him achieve his dreams, joining the Eight Bullets.

During the Shie Hassaikai arc, together with Chronostasis and Sakaki, Nemoto accompanied Overhaul to his underground escape route to act as a bodyguard in case of emergency. When Mirio manages to reach the group by himself through his Permeation quirk, Sakaki and Nemoto immediately team up to hold him back while Chisaki and Chrono continue their escape with Eri.

As the pair joins up for the fight, Nemoto uses his quirk and ability to read others to emotionally pressure Lemillion, accusing him of only wanting to save Eri to make himself feel better about not rescuing when he had the chance back when he ran into Overhaul in the streets, while Sakaki used his Sloshed quirk to make the hero destabilized and without balance, making him both emotionally and physically overwhelmed and hindered, as the pair continued to attack from afar, Nemoto through his pistol and Sakaki through throwing knives. Eventually tho, Mirio manages to overcome the pair and their quirks and takes them down with his Phantom Menace super move.

Despite being knocked out and seriously injured, Nemoto manages to drag himself toward Overhaul as his fight with Mirio is taking place through sheer force of will that comes from his devotion to his boss, with Chisaki asking him to use the quirk removing bullets on Mirio so Overhaul can win the fight. In a brilliant moment of strategy, realizing Mirio would just phase through the bullets if they were shot at him, Nemoto decides to aim for Eri instead, knowing that Lemillion would allow himself to get hit to prevent the girl from being harmed any further, thus allowing his boss to start winning the fight, as Nemoto passes out again.

However, even unconscious, Nemoto would manage to be useful to his boss one more time, as Overhaul uses his quirk to fuse himself with Nemoto as he turns to his "Monsterhaul" form, using Nemoto's quirk to force Eri to admit she doesn't believe the heroes will win against him and make her come back to him. However, even when faced with Eri's lack of faith in him, Midoriya refuses to give up, shouting at Eri to believe in him as he continues his assault as Overhaul starts his escape, telling her to jump towards him and causing her to activate her Rewind quirk involuntarily, rewinding Monsterhaul so an unconscious Nemoto gets separated from him as he returns to normal and continues his exscape to the surface for his final showdown with Midoriya, allowing for Nemoto to be safely captured after the fight is over.

Nemoto is interesting, I guess. He's definitely one of the most notable Eight Bullets members, and probably the one to get the most development and personality other than Rappa, with his enormous devotion towards his boss rivaling even Chronostasis, repeatedly putting himself at risk and continuing to fight even after being taken down solely so he could fulfill his promise to assist Overhaul no matter what. Even so, eh, can't say I find Nemoto very interesting, LOL.

As for the build, I did the thing where I overpower the shit out of his quirk since we are never shown characters being able to resist it. I also gave him a really high Will, since we are shown how much he is able to overcome purely out of loyalty. I also gave him a bunch of advantages meant to represent his manipulation and people reading skills. Otherwise, this is a fairly simple high-ish PL build focused on pistol attacks, having a high Dodge due to Nemoto being shown as very nimble and agile and stuff, with his Dodge being much higher than his Parry due to him preferring ranged combat. I considered making his Intellect higher, as he is said to be one of the smarter people in his group, but his intelligence seems to be more about reading other people and strategising around that, which I feel is more of an Awareness and Presence thing than Intellect.

Outfits: Nemoto's villain outfit is the most Plague Doctor looking one in the entire Shie Hassaikai, covering the back of his head and neck with a white cloth and wearing a poncho-like black cape and black black 3/4 pants, as well as a long white pair of underpants and white sneakers. He also wears a wide brimmed black bowler hat and his Shie Hassaikai mask is a classic black plague doctor mask.
Last edited by SolarOracle on Mon Oct 25, 2021 10:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MarvelLion

Post by MarvelLion »

Glad you're posting again! And good job with Nemoto.
I agree that he's not terribly interesting, though as I think I mentioned before, I find it hilarious that he declared himself to be Overhaul's most treasured subordinate, when that was clearly Chronostasis. Nemoto wanted the bromance he couldn't have.
SolarOracle

Sakaki

Post by SolarOracle »

Couldn't find the source for this fanart, sorry.

Sakaki Deidoro

Identity: Sakaki Deidoro, Public Identity.
Eyes: Unknown.
Hair: Black.
Skin: Pale.

Power Level 6 - 92 Character Points

Abilities
Strength 0, Agility 0, Fighting 4, Awareness 0
Stamina 3, Dexterity 2, Intellect 0, Presence 1

Powers
Quirk - Sloshed
Area 2 (60 ft. Burst) Affliction 6 (Impaired and Hindered/Prone and Disabled) (Extras: Extra Condition, Reduced Action - Move Action, Selective) (Flaws: Limited Degree, Source - Alcohol). [29]

Support Item - Daggers: (Flaws: Easily Removable). [7]
Throw Daggers: Ranged Strength-based Damage 3 (Extras: Split, Improved Critical). (8) -- (9)
  • AE: Strength-based Damage 1 (Extras: Improved Critical). (2)
Advantages
Close Attack, Quick Draw, Ranged Attack 3

Skills
Athletics 5
(+5 total).
Close Combat (Unarmed) 2 (+7 total).
Close Combat (Daggers) 2 (+7 total).
Deception 2 (+3 total).
Expertise (Yakuza) 4 (+4 total).
Perception 3 (+3 total).
Persuasion 2 (+3 total).
Ranged Combat (Daggers) 4 (+9 total).

Offense
Initiative +0
Unarmed
+7, close damage 0.
Dagger +7, close damage 1, critical 19-20.
Throw Daggers +9, ranged damage 3, critical 19-20.

Defense
Dodge 9, Fortitude 7, Parry 7, Toughness 3, Will 3

Complications

Motivation: Loyalty: Sakaki seems to be loyal to the Shie Hassaikai and obeys his boss' orders.

Power Loss: Drunkenness: The strength of Sakaki’s quirk seems to be dependant on him being drunk, meaning that he is probably not able to fight at peak ability if he is using his quirk efficiently. Although this does not seem to affect his combat and knife throwing skills, the DM may give Sakaki a penalty on certain checks while he is drunk.

20 Abilities, 36 Powers, 5 Advantages, 12 Skills, 19 Defenses = 92 Character Points

About: The final member of the Eight Bullets, Sakaki is skinny and acrobatic guy who is constantly drunk. His quirk, Sloshed, allows him to confuse the sense of balance of anyone near him, making them experience symptoms similar to drunkenness, tho the strength of his quirk seems to depend on how inebriated Sakaki himself is, meaning that he needs to be extremely drunk for his quirk to work well. Due to this, he can't move around a lot in fights, staying still somewhere so he doesn't fall on the floor and throws his daggers from afar while the opponent is weakened by his quirk.

During the Shie Hassaikai arc, Sakaki is paired with Nemoto on the task of acting as bodyguards for Overhaul while he escaped with Eri and Chronostasis through the secret underground passage beneath the base. As Mirio managed to reach the group using his Permeation quirk, Sakaki and Nemoto engage him in a fight while Chisaki continued his escape, with Sakaki wasting no time and climbing to the ceiling to be able to get drunk and use his quirk without risking being vulnerable, robbing Lemillion of his sense of balance while Nemoto used his quirk to psychologically torment Mirio.

As the pair starts to attack Mirio from afar, Sakaki through his throwing knives, to take advantage of his lack of balance, Lemillion manages to regain his composure and take the pair down with his signature super move, Phantom Menace, knocking Sakaki out until the end of the arc, when he was captured and imprisoned by the police with the rest of the yakuza.

Sakaki is just kinda there, more so than any other Shie Hassaikai member. We don't really get any insight into his backstory, personality or character other than the fact that he drinks all the time, making him have less of a character than even Tengai or Katsukame. That said, man, I have a soft spot for drunk characters that makes me like this guy a lot, LOL, despite him not really having an interesting power, and really only having a cool design and the fact that he drinks a lot going for him.

For the build, I gave his power a move action activation since he is able to still chuck his knives while using it, and isn't really able to move around due to how intoxicated he is. I kind of considered doing his power as having a Standard Action activation and giving it Increased Duration ranks to make it so maintaining it was a free action, but that felt inaccurate to how he uses it and would probably be more confusing as a power than just doing it as a Move Action and calling it a day, since he can't really move too much anyways.

Outfits: Sakaki wears a pair of black social shoes, a pair of brown pants with exposed ankles and a very furry beige vest with an open chest. His Shie Hassaikai mask is a plain white mask that covers his entire face and has large round eye holes. Probably the coolest looking mask out of the entire group, honestly.
SolarOracle

Post by SolarOracle »

And with that, we're done with the Shie Hassaikai! Checking my to-do list, not that many villains left, surprisingly. It feels kind of surreal to be so near the end goal, only a few one off villains and three villain teams to go through (tho there are still quite a few civilians and police members to build, not to mention the entire cast of Vigilantes and possibly some other characters from the other spinoffs, so this project will still go one for a while). Even more surreal than that is how shocking it is whenever I see how many views and comments this thread has! So thanks everyone for the very interesting insight and opinions you've all had on all these characters and series and stuff! Hope these posts have been fun reads for you all, be it through reading through my rambly, disorganized and, very often, grammatically incorrect thoughts about this great series and universe, or just by my attempts to abstract all these guys and their powers to Mutants and Masterminds (sometimes more effectively than others, LOL).

Next up, after a short break to adjust their builds, a fan favorite villain with an impeccable sense of style and his lovely assistant!
MarvelLion

Post by MarvelLion »

You continue to do a good job!
I'm looking forward to the rest of the main series characters. Though, I feel like I should have a cup of tea ready for viewing the next build...