Solar's Build Thread - The In-Between-Updates Update!

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Jabroniville

Re: Pepsiman II (Japan)

Post by Jabroniville »

SolarOracle wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 7:56 am Pepsiman II
Powers
SCHWAAA!
: Create 1 (Pepsi) (Extras: Innate) (Flaws: Permanent). [3]

Always Knows When Someone Needs a Pepsi: Senses 6 (Ranged Extended 4 Detect Thirst). [6]

Gear
Silver Chevrolet Corvette

Size Large Strength 5 Speed 5 Defense 8 Toughness 8
Cost 10
BOO. I am immensely jealous that I did not think of these powers, despite having build Pepsiman for my Fighting Vipers set. I EVEN WATCHED THE DAMN COMMERCIALS! Alas, I struck his appearances before thirsty people to be mere happenstance and not the innate powers they should have been.
SolarOracle

Pepsiman Non-Builds

Post by SolarOracle »

Yup. Believe it or not, there are two (well, one and a half, I guess) additional Pepsiman characters I felt like I should mention. It's kind of shocking that Pepsiman actually ended up having more than a single character in its "universe", but I guess with the campaign becoming more and more famous over time, it was only a matter of time before needing the change up the status quo.

"Pepsiman Twist"

About: Pepsiman Twist is an alter-ego assumed by Pepsiman in a few advertisements, when he is promoting Pepsi Twist. To do so, he puts on a yellow mask that covers his entire head, representing the lemon in Pepsi Twist. In the few ads this version of the character appears in, Pepsiman Twist seems to want to keep the fact that he and Pepsiman are the same person secret for whatever reason, tho the people don't seem to take that seriously at all, even forcibly unmasking him at the end of one of the ads.

Pepsiwoman

About: To advertise Diet Pepsi Twist, Pepsico Japan created the character of Pepsiwoman, starring in her own ad, where she is shown running around (with, I kid you not, Dead or Alive-style jiggle physics on her boobs!), as a group of young women fangirl over her appearing, asking her if she is Pepsiman, only for her to correct them. Buildwise, I'd say she is the same as Pepsiman, minus the "Perpetual Bad Luck" complication, as she doesn't seem to be as prone to getting constantly hurt as her male counterpart.

Pepsiwoman's design is similar to Pepsiman's, but having a full chrome body instead of a chrome and blue one, as the Diet Pepsi Twist can was fully chrome. She also wears the Pepsiman Twist mask, representing the lemon flavor of her drink.
SolarOracle

Pepsiman I (Mexico)

Post by SolarOracle »

There are no HD images of this commercial anywhere. Get on it, Pepsiman historians!

Role: Forgotten Character, Superhero Parody, Blatant Walking Advertisement

Pepsiman I

Identity: Unknown.
Height: Unknown.
Weight: Unknown.
Eyes: Brown.
Hair: Black.
Skin: Fair.
Group: None.
Base of Operations: Mexico.

Power Level 10 - 136 Character Points

Abilities
Strength 12, Agility 2, Fighting 8, Awareness 1
Stamina 12, Dexterity 1, Intellect 0, Presence 2

Powers
Flight
: Flight 8 (1000 Km/H or 500 MpH). [16]

Invulnerability: Impervious Protection 12. [12]

Super-Strength: Enhanced Strength 2 (Flaws: Limited to Lifting Strength). [2]

Gear
Utility Belt Filled With Pepsi Cans
: Feature: Cures thirst. (1)

Advantages
Equipment, Fast Grab, Improved Grab, Improved Hold, Power Attack, Ranged Attack 3

Skills
Athletics 2
(+14 total).
Deception 2 (+4 total).
Insight 4 (+5 total).
Perception 4 (+5 total).
Persuasion 4 (+6 total).
Ranged Combat (Throwing) 4 (+8 total).

Offense
Initiative +2
Unarmed
+8, close damage 12.

Defense
Dodge 8, Fortitude 12, Parry 8, Toughness 12*, Will 7
*Impervious 6.

Complications

Motivation: Pepsi: Not much is known about Pepsiman, except that, as his name indicates, he promotes Pepsi, always carrying some with him in his utility belt and wanting to refresh others with it to cure their thirst.

76 Abilities, 30 Powers, 8 Advantages, 10 Skills, 12 Defenses = 136 Character Points

About: The first character to ever officially bear the name, Pepsiman was a character played by the very famous Mexican-American actor and comedian Paul Rodriguez, created for an ad campaign for the drink in Mexico in 1993, just one year before the Japanese character in a very funny case of parallel thinking. There really isn't much known about him as a character aside from him being a big fan of Pepsi and always carrying a lot of them on his utility belt, presumably to satiate the thirst of anyone he encounters.

This character is a very simple Superman pastiche, being shown flying and breaking through walls like they were nothing. I couldn't find much production history for his ad, aside from it being from a series of advertisements Pepsico Mexico had done starring Paul Rodriguez, and was mostly about how cool Pepsiman is and how much he loves Pepsi (which is explained in a very cringy yet endearing rap sung throughout the ad). You should check this one out!

Doing this build mostly for the sake of having a full "Pepsi superheroes" set, in case someone wants to run a Pepsi-themed hero game, LOL, tho, admittedly I'm missing the character of Blue Rose, which I guess also qualifies as a Pepsi superhero, but whom I won't touch for now because, goddamnit, I couldn't stand rewatching Tiger & Bunny right now! Maybe in a couple of months tho.

This is a very lazy minor edit on the "Paragon" character archetype from the core rulebook, but lacking the immunity to life-support (as this Pepsiman is, presumably, still a human who wouldn't survive in outer space or whatever else) and lacking superspeed, as he doesn't display any feat like that in the ads, and might just have flight and super strength. I also included his Enhanced Stamina as a straight up regular Ability instead of an Enhanced Trait because that always bugged me and felt unnecessary. Same for the super-strength.

I gave him a couple more "tough guy" advantages, like Fast Grab, Improved Grab and Improved Hold, since I tend to give that to super-strength powerset people, and also included his Pepsi-filled Utility Belt on the build. Unnecessary, maybe, but I felt sorry for how lacking in stuff this poor guy was. Oh, I also gave him no Expertise ranks, since we know fuckall about him.

Outfits: Pepsiman wears a white full-body suit with an inverted triangle logo on the chest containing the words "Pepsi Man" and a Pepsi logo. He has kneepads with the Pepsi logo as well, and wears tall blue boots, the famous "Superhero underwear over the pants" in blue and a long blue cape. The outfit is completed by a superhero utility belt containing cans of Pepsi, with a silver diamond-shaped buckle with an engraved Pepsi logo.

Clearly a spoof of Superman's costume, but I think the colors for this one are lowkey kind of nice. The kneepads are also a nice touch, and the belt buckle looks kind of sick.
Last edited by SolarOracle on Tue Mar 14, 2023 12:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
SolarOracle

Club Penguin

Post by SolarOracle »

Club Penguin was a massively popular web-based MMO chatroom aimed at kids that launched in late 2005, originally developed by New Horizon Interactive as a continuation of a previous project called "Penguin Chat". The game was very popular with kids, as they could chat with people through there, as well as adventure through the game's map and collect clothing and accessories for their penguin avatar, as well as decorate their igloos and play games. It was monetized with a Membership system, that allowed paying members to access a lot more features of the game than non-members, which then in turn encouraged free players to want to upgrade so they could get all the cool shit the other players around them have on. This model proved IMMENSELY lucrative, so much so that Disney bought the game is 2007, allowing the game's budget to increased and for it to continue to rocket in popularity with elementary and middle-schoolers around the world!

The game had a lot of fun features, from its iconic pets in the puffles, to its seasonal parties that always had some quest associated with them you could do, to its fun Monkey Island-style point and click adventure games in its Penguin Secret Agency missions, to, of course, my favourite feature, the cool ninja-themed card game you could play and earns ranks at in the Dojo! All of this slowly helped cement a world and lore to the game, and made sure the players would consistently return to the game so they could explore whatever was new at the island.

Club Penguin is part of this pantheon of games from my childhood that feel like everyone my age has had some contact with in some way growing up, be it by sinking hundreds of hours into it like I did growing up or just by having seen others play it and stuff. The game infamously closed in 2017, as they were attempting to migrate the playerbase to a mobile app due to Flash being a really outdated engine by that point, only for that mobile app, Club Penguin Island, to flop hardcore, be massively criticized by how monetized it was in comparison to the original Club Penguin, and close down only a year later, all of which pretty much ensuring that Club Penguin is dead and on the grave in present day, probably for good.

I have a lot of fond memories of the game, from collecting stuff, to playing minigames, to the seasonal parties and, of course, talking about it all with my friends. I'm entirely sure the timespan which I played the game, but I think I started playing when I was 7 or 8, and continued visiting it sporadically throughout the years, a lot of the time with a lot of dedication, as I would log in every day to take care of my puffles and partake in whatever the current ongoing event was. I'm not sure the exact year I stopped playing was, but I think I was about 13 at the time, as I kind of started thinking I was "too good for the game" or whatever as I entered my edgy teen years and started getting into other interests. The time I stopped playing seems to be when most of the original staff for the game started to leave as well, as they went on to work on other projects, and the game started to change in artstyle and gameplay. Still, I logged back in on the game's last day to see it closing in real time, which was pretty nostalgic and fun.

Club Penguin Builds?
When I was thinking about fun superhero media from my childhood I wanted to build, I ended up being reminded of a certain superhero duo I'll get into in a bit who were characters from Club Penguin. I thought it would be fun to do, so here we are. I also thought it would be fun to work on builds for the puffles for whatever reason, so I did that as well.

I worked on these assuming that Club Penguin penguins are your standard PL 0 with no special powers or features sort of deal, seeing as they are anthropomorphized to the degree they might as well just be regular humans in terms of their abilities, as they don't really do anything real penguins do. I could maybe see the case for them having Environmental Adaptation (Cold) or Immunity (Cold), as they are pretty OK with the antartic environment of Club Penguin Island, but I'm not that sure about that.

Anyways, let's talk about the superhero protectors of Club Penguin...

Shadow Guy and Gamma Gal were characters in a "story within a story" sense, as they were the protagonists of the in-game theater play "Shadow Guy and Gamma Gal vs Squidzoid, where the superhero duo have to face off against the hungry giant squid monster who is terrorizing the city of Penguinotropolis.

Shadow Guy and Gamma Gal were your typical superheroes, able to fly and shoot energy attacks, and would only be elaborated on years later, as the characters proved very popular and got an origin story comic, which told the story of how the duo came to be, which made them inhabitants of Club Penguin instead of Penguinotropolis city, and made them tied to important characters in the mythos of Club Penguin, such as Sensei, Gary and Aunt Arctic. After this, they were treated as semi-canonical instead of just as fictional within Club Penguin, as some dialogue and lore in the game's later years suggested that they were around.
SolarOracle

Shadow Guy

Post by SolarOracle »

Fanart by caesiagerma

Role: Darkness Powers User, Stealth Hero, Growing Guy, Your Favorite Superhero (Back When You Were 10)

Shadow Guy

Identity: Sam, Secret Identity.
Height: Unknown. Up to building-sized when absorbing other shadows.
Eyes: Black.
Hair: Blue. Originally none.
Color: Various. Usually blue or black.
Group: Shadow Guy and Gamma Gal.
Base of Operations: South Pole, Club Penguin Island.

Power Level 8 (PL up to 10 in Giant Form) - 162 Character Points

Abilities
Strength 2/12*, Agility 2, Fighting 6, Awareness 3
Stamina 3/13*, Dexterity 3, Intellect 2, Presence 1
*Increased with powers.

Powers
Unexplained Superhuman Physiology: Flight 5 (120 Km/H or 60 MpH). [10]
Protection 3. [3]

Shadow Mode: Concealment 2 (Visual) (Flaws: Limited to while in dim light). [2]
Enhanced Stealth 8 (+14 total). [4]
Insubstantial 3 (Shadow). [15]
Meld Into Shadows: Movement 4 (Permeate 3, Slithering). [8]

Absorb Shadows: Growth 10 (Strength and Stamina +10, Mass +10, Intimidation +5, Speed +1, Dodge and Parry -5, Stealth -10) (Flaws: Source - Absorbed Shadows). [19]

Shadow Snare: Ranged Affliction 8 (Hindered and Vulnerable/Immobilized and Defenseless) (Extras: Cumulative, Extra Condition) (Flaws: Limited Degree, Source - Shadows). (23) -- [26]
  • AE: Shadow Wave: Ranged Damage 8. (16)
  • AE: Shadow Ray: Area (30 ft. line) Damage 8. (16)
  • AE: Shadow Burst: Area (30 ft. Burst) Damage 8. (16)
Advantages
Close Attack 2, Evasion, Improved Critical (Shadow Energy), Power Attack, Ranged Attack 3, Teamwork

Skills
Athletics 2
(+4 total, +16 size).
Deception 3 (+4 total).
Expertise (Reporter) 6 (+8 total).
Insight 2 (+5 total).
Intimidation 3 (+4 total, +9 size).
Investigation 4 (+6 total).
Perception 4 (+7 total).
Persuasion 4 (+5 total).
Ranged Combat (Shadow Energy) 2 (+8 total).
Stealth 4 (+6 total, +14 shadow mode, +4 size).

Offense
Initiative +2
Unarmed
+8, close damage 2.
Unarmed (Giant Sized) +8, close damage 12.
Shadow Wave +8, ranged damage 8, critical 19-20.
Shadow Snare +8, ranged affliction (Hindered and Vulnerable/Immobilized and Defenseless), Dodge DC 18, critical 19-20.
Shadow Ray, close 30 ft. line area damage 8.
Shadow Burst, close 30 ft. burst area damage 8.

Defense
Dodge 9/4*, Fortitude 5/15*, Parry 9/4*, Toughness 6/16*, Will 6
*Fortitude and Toughness +10 and Parry and Dodge -5 with size.

Complications

Motivation: Defender of Club Penguin: Shadow Guy and his partner Gamma Gal are the defenders of Club Penguin, and will fight any evil villain or monster that tries to destroy their home.

Weakness: Bright Light: Shadow Guy’s shadow powers can be weakened by bright lights.

44 Abilities, 77 Powers, 9 Advantages, 17 Skills, 16 Defenses = 162 Character Points

About: Shadow Guy is one of the two superheroes of Club Penguin, fighting alongside Gamma Gal to protect it from monstrous threats, originally presented as a character in in-game the play Squidzoid vs Shadow Guy and Gamma Gal. He has shadow manipulation powers, allowing him to meld into shadows, enter a "shadow mode", which allows him to interact with shadows, and produce a "Shadow Wave", a mysterious shadowy energy he can use as an attack. Additionally, while in his shadow mode, Shadow Guy can absorb other shadows into his form, increasing his size up to gigantic proportions.

In his civilian life, Shadow Guy is Sam, a reporter for the Club Penguin Times, working under Aunt Arctic. He gained his powers while doing his job, as he was tasked with interviewing the island's famous inventor, Gary the Gadget Guy, and to write a piece about his newest invention, the Toaster 3000. While Gary was demonstrating his invention, it ended up malfunctioning and blasting Sam with an energy ray, causing him to "absorb some ultraviolet light spectrometers" and gain his shadow powers.

Confounded by the situation, and curious about how this could have come to happen, Gary helped Sam to train his powers so he would be able to use them for good and help the inhabitants of Club Penguin. During this, Sam happened to help stop a rampaging mutant pizza dough monster using his shadow powers, being dubbed by the newspapers as a "Mysterious Shadow Guy", giving him his hero identity.

He would officially debut as a superhero shortly thereafter, after concluding his training and finally donning his hero costume, needing to stop an invading giant sea monster who had entered Club Penguin, and who was repeatedly exclaiming the word "Glabook". While trying to stop the monster, he encountered Gamma Gal, who was also first debuting as a superhero, and the two came into conflict, trying to stop the monster through force separately and failing to do so.

The two would only succeed after deciding to work together, as Gamma Gal used her light powers to cast large shadows so Shadow Guy could absorb them through his Shadow Mode and gain a size comparable to the sea creature. Now, as he was big enough to be heard by the aquatic being, Shadow Guy was able to talk to the monster and discover he meant no harm, and was only looking for his friend Glabook. He then took the monster to the nearby shores, helping him locate his buddy, concluding his first heroic deed, as the sea monsters thanked the heroes before leaving, giving an origin to the hero duo.

As a kid, I always thought Shadow Guy was awesome as a concept - A blaster superhero with edgy dark powers and a knack for stealth and investigation, like Batman meets Cloak and Cyclops! He was everything my kid self loved, LOL. The origin story comic tried to elaborate his powers a bit, giving him a "shadow mode", which made him into a living shade and allowed him to grow to giant sizes by absorbing shadows, which is something I'm honestly that big a fan of, but I guess makes more sense than him just shooting a vague "shadow energy" attack as a representation of him having shadow powers.

As for the build, Shadow Guy is a PL 8, not that powerful by himself, but still able to hold his own pretty well, especially when paired with Gamma Gal. For the most part, he is your typical blaster hero, able to use Area attacks and powerful ranged attacks, but is also pretty decent in stealth and the like. I took some liberties here other than that, like giving him your typical Marvel-style Darkforce user "Shadow Bind", and assuming he perfected his shadow form enough to become insubstantial while using it, as well as it increasing his stealth. I also gave him a concealment while in darkness effect, as he is a shadow and can meld with the darkness. Him having the Teamwork advantage is mostly so he and Gamma Gal can perform their speacil combined attack which was able to defeat Squidzoid in the play.

The main thing that makes this build expensive is his giant form, as he can gradually grow as he absorbs more shadows, which raises him up to PL 10, making him a formidable opponent against giant monsters, but not by that much. He is also a pretty good skillmonkey compared to Gamma Gal, as he puts his investigative skills to good use.

Outfits: Shadow Guy's costume was a blue and dark gray suit with a vertical line in the middle, with a belt that had the initials "SG" on it. He also wore a blue cape and a blue domino mask. His costume was later redesigned, with his suit gaining an open collar and a more diagonal central line, as well as a bigger belt with a blue resin piece in the middle, as well as him gaining dark blue combed hair (which, honestly, I've always been in the camp of Club Penguin penguins looking really weird with hair, LOL).
Last edited by SolarOracle on Tue Mar 14, 2023 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jabroniville

Re: Solar's Build Thread - The In-Between-Updates Update!

Post by Jabroniville »

I feel old because I've literally never heard of this in my life, lol. Though it reminds me of comments from people who remember Disney's old Pixie Hollow chatroom/game server that was fairly similar. As Disney tends to just dump anything that isn't immediately profitable, or is even a little bit old, it too was tossed aside, leading to a lot of people doing one last trip to the server before it was closed for good. A couple of replacements have popped up over the years, but nothing that really "took" as there's no official one.
OwOMotaros

Post by OwOMotaros »

Jabroniville wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 5:27 am I feel old because I've literally never heard of this in my life, lol. Though it reminds me of comments from people who remember Disney's old Pixie Hollow chatroom/game server that was fairly similar. As Disney tends to just dump anything that isn't immediately profitable, or is even a little bit old, it too was tossed aside, leading to a lot of people doing one last trip to the server before it was closed for good. A couple of replacements have popped up over the years, but nothing that really "took" as there's no official one.
You're a Disney dude, how is that possible.

Anyway, Solar, this came outta left field, but I'm not mad at it.
SolarOracle

Post by SolarOracle »

Jabroniville wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 5:27 am I feel old because I've literally never heard of this in my life, lol. Though it reminds me of comments from people who remember Disney's old Pixie Hollow chatroom/game server that was fairly similar. As Disney tends to just dump anything that isn't immediately profitable, or is even a little bit old, it too was tossed aside, leading to a lot of people doing one last trip to the server before it was closed for good. A couple of replacements have popped up over the years, but nothing that really "took" as there's no official one.
It's always weird to look back at MMOs and the legacies they end up leaving behind, mostly because of how much time you had to sink in the games due to their nature. Even after they close, there are usually fan-run servers and stuff, because of how dedicated to the digital worlds the fanbase ended up becoming, being willing to host it out of pocket so they can continue to enjoy it.
OwOMotaros wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 5:42 am Anyway, Solar, this came outta left field, but I'm not mad at it.
LOL, glad to know. There really wasn't any place in the stuff currently on my to-post list where this wouldn't feel like a weird inclusion, so I thought following Pepsiman was probably my best bet. X D
SolarOracle

Gamma Gal

Post by SolarOracle »

Fanart by caesiagerma

Role: Light Powers User, Your Favorite Superhero (Back When You Were 10)

Gamma Gal

Identity: Amy, Secret Identity.
Height: Unknown.
Hair: Pink, naturally brown. Originally none.
Color: Various. Usually pink or yellow.
Group: Shadow Guy and Gamma Gal.

Power Level 8 - 108 Character Points

Abilities
Strength 3, Agility 1, Fighting 6, Awareness 1
Stamina 3, Dexterity 3, Intellect 0, Presence 3

Powers
Gamma Energy Powers
: Flight 5 (120 Km/H or 60 MpH). [10]
Protection 5. [5]
Gamma Glow: Feature: User can mask their identity to normal observers by glowing brightly. [1]

Gamma Energy Attacks: 16 Point Array. (16) -- [24]
  • Gamma Glow Blast: Ranged Damage 8. (16)
  • Gamma Glow Wave: Area (60 ft. Cone) Damage 8. (16)
  • Gamma Glow Burst: Area (30 ft. Burst) Damage 8. (16)
  • Gamma Glow Stream: Area (30 ft. Line) Damage 8. (16)
  • Blinding Light (Area): Area (30 ft. Burst) Affliction 8 (Impaired/Disabled/Unaware) (Extras: Cumulative) (Flaws: Limited to Visuals). (16)
  • Blinding Light (Single Target): Ranged Affliction 8 (Impaired/Disabled/Unaware) (Extras: Cumulative) (Flaws: Limited to Visuals). (16)
  • Plasma Shields: Deflect 8. (8)
  • Dynamic: Bright Lights: Environment 3 (120 ft. Burst) (Light 2) (Extras: Dynamic). (7)
Advantages
Accurate Attack, Close Attack 2, Improved Aim, Improved Critical (Gamma Energy) 2, Power Attack, Ranged Attack 3, Teamwork

Skills
Athletics 4
(+7 total).
Deception 2 (+5 total).
Insight 4 (+5 total).
Intimidation 2 (+5 total).
Perception 2 (+3 total).
Persuasion 4 (+7 total).
Ranged Combat (Gamma Energy) 2 (+8 total).

Offense
Initiative +1
Unarmed
+8, close damage 3.
Gamma Glow Blast +8, ranged damage 8, critical 18-20.
Blinding Light (Single Target) +8, ranged affliction (Impaired/Disabled/Unaware), Dodge DC 18.
Gamma Glow Wave, close 60 ft. cone area damage 8.
Gamma Glow Stream, close 30 ft. line damage 8.
Gamma Glow Burst, close 30 ft. burst area damage 8.
Blinding Light (Area), close 30 ft. burst area affliction (Impaired/Disabled/Unaware), Dodge DC 18.

Defense
Dodge 8, Fortitude 6, Parry 7, Toughness 8, Will 5

Complications

Motivation: Defender of Club Penguin: Gamma Gal and her partner Shadow Guy are the defenders of Club Penguin, and will fight any evil villain or monster that tries to destroy their home.

40 Abilities, 40 Powers, 11 Advantages, 10 Skills, 7 Defenses = 108 Character Points

About: The second half of the Club Penguin superhero pair, Gamma Gal is a character on the in-game play Squidzoid vs Shadow Guy and Gamma Gal, fighting alongside Shadow Guy to stop the hungry monster. She has badly defined "gamma glow plasma powers", which is sci fi mumbo jumbo to say she can shoot powerful pink energy beams and stuff, as well as fly, create bright lights and create energy barriers to deflect enemy attacks.

Before becoming Gamma Gal, Amy was a daring, energetic and daring chick who happened to see a pink glowing meteor crashing into the wilderness of Club Penguin Island while playing with her snow sled. She went to investigate it, and upon touching it, ended up getting her superpowers, being trained by Sensei in the Dojo, whose mastery of zen philosophy and calm demeanor helped her be able to properly hone her powers, which she had a difficult time controlling. After using her powers to stop a stampede of puffles who had escaped from the pet shop, by herding them through the light she could create around her body with her powers, Sensei said she was ready to act as a hero, prompting Amy to assume the identity of Gamma Gal.

She then met with Shadow Guy on her first official adventure as a superhero, as an gigantic sea monster entered Club Penguin and was causing chaos to erupt, as it repeatedly exclaimed "Glabook". She tried to daze it with her lights so it would be defeated, but that only resulted in the monster falling onto the island's Gift Shop, destroying the empty building. After the other hero also failed to stop the monster, the two decided to team up, as Gamma Gal used her powers to shine a bright light to cast large shadows that Shadow Guy could absorb and grow to the same size as the monster.

This plan worked, as it finally allowed the monster to be able to hear the penguin superhero, and explained to them he was simply looking for his friend Glabook and didn't mean any harm, asking if they could help. The two superheroes then took the monster to the shore near the lighthouse, and flew over the waters asking for Glabook, eventually locating them and reuniting the sea monsters, who thanked the heroes and left. From there, the two went on to form the iconic hero duo, and continued to adventure together, protecting Club Penguin.

Gamma Gal was also really cool to me as a kid, due to her badass energy projection powers and because I thought the word "gamma" sounded cool as hell, LOL. I find it weird how they made her not really have an elaborated civilian life and identity like Shadow Guy tho, since while he is established as a capable reported, she's just some Club Penguin member she is into sledding and playing games and stuff.

This build is also PL 8, as Amy is a capable blaster hero, more effective at that than Shadow Guy, but having less skills and not as broad a set of power effects. She has a variety of area damage effects, as well as a powerful ranged attack with high critical, and can also use her power to create bright lights as an environment effect, or to dazzle foes. She also has the Teamwork advantage, representing her ability to combine her powers with Shadow Guy's as a powerful blast. Lastly, she can use her power to conceal her identity by making bright lights around herself so no one can recognize her, as she did that in the origin comic.

Overall, Gamma Gal has less active defenses than her partner, but a higher Toughness and Strength, as I always sort of imagined her to be the harder hitter of the two while Shadow Guy is the more agile and cunning fighter.

Outfits: Gamma Gal's hero costume is white and pink suit with a pair of diagonal lines conversing on her belt, which has the initials "GG" in black on it. She also wears a pink cape and mask. Eventually, her costume was redesigned, gaining a higher collar and having the diagonal white lines instead converge into a singular large vertical white line. She also wore a white cape and had long wavy pink hair.
SolarOracle

Squidzoid

Post by SolarOracle »

Role: City Destroying Kaiju, Land Kraken

Squidzoid

Identity: Unknown.
Height: Over 30 meters tall.
Hair: None.
Color: Varies. Usually blue or black.
Group: None.

Power Level 10 - 126 Character Points

Abilities
Strength 14*, Agility 0, Fighting 4, Awareness 0
Stamina 14*, Dexterity 0, Intellect -4, Presence -3
*Increased with size.

Powers
Kaiju-Sized
: Growth 14 (Strength and Stamina +14, Mass +14, Intimidation +7, Speed +1, Dodge and Parry -7, Stealth -14) (Extras: Permanent). [28]
Protection 2 (Extras: Impervious 10). [12]

Aquatic Creature: Senses 2 (Low-light Vision, Direction Sense). [2]
Swimming 6 (250 Km/H or 120 MpH). [6]
Immunity 3 (Pressure, Cold, Drowning). [3]

Squid’s Ink: Area 4 (120 ft. Cloud) Concealment 2 (Visuals) Attack. [14]

Giant-Sized Smash: Area 2 (60 ft. Burst) Damage 10. [30]

Advantages
Fast Grab, Improved Grab, Improved Hold, Power Attack, Startle

Skills
Athletics 2
(+16 total).
Close Combat (Unarmed) 2 (+6 total).
Intimidation 8 (+5 total, +12 size).
Perception 4 (+4 total).
Stealth 2 (+2 total, -12 size).

Offense
Initiative +0
Unarmed
+6, close damage 14.
Giant-Sized Smash, close 60 ft. burst area damage 10.

Defense
Dodge 4*, Fortitude 14*, Parry 4*, Toughness 16*, Will 5
*Dodge and Parry -7 and Toughness and Fortitude +14 with size. Toughness Impervious 5.

Complications

Motivation: Hunger: Squidzoid has a monstrous hunger, and will try to devour nearby buildings to sate his hunger.

Hungry Monster: If Squidzoid is no longer hungry, he will revert back into a normal penguin, losing his gigantic Growth and all his powers, skills and advantages, turning into a regular civilian and regaining his intelligence and personality. The same will happen if he is defeated in combat.

-6 Abilities, 95 Powers, 5 Advantages, 9 Skills, 23 Defenses = 126 Character Points

About: Squidzoid, the hungry city-eating monster, is the antagonist of the in-game play Squidzoid vs Shadow Guy and Gamma Gal, standing at over 100 ft. tall and attempting to devour the buildings in the city. Squidzoid seems to be some kind of squid-penguin hybrid monstrosity who transforms from his regular penguin form when he is extremely hungry.

Squidzoid's origins are a mystery, appearing for the first and only time in his play, where he is attacking Penguinotropolis, panicking and horrifying the citizens before the arrival of Shadow Guy and Gamma Gal, who save the day by combining their power into a special blast that was able to take the monster down and reverse him back into a regular penguin, as he apologized and said he had a "monster apetite." In later versions of the play, Squidzoid gained a sidekick in the form of Melmonst, a Mothra homage who is a gigantic moth monster who ends up being stuck in a building after the defeat of the squid monster.

Unlike the heroes, Squidzoid is never really elaborated on later in Club Penguin, so why he is a penguin that mutates into a monster squid is unknown, and was mostly a closing gag played for laughs at the end of the original play. I like the concept of hunger driving someone to mutate into a monster and act uncontrollably tho, could have some interesting narrative explorations in a serious story. It's kind of sad that he was never canonized like the superheroes were later on, and is thus presumably only fictional within the Club Penguin universe.

Squidzoid is your typical kaiju, having a bloated PL with high Toughness and Strength, but low on active defenses and accuracy, which makes it a dangerous opponent to characters who can't do high damage, but still ends up unimpressive by kaiju standards, at PL 10. I gave him some squid-y powers, like an ink cloud and swimming, which I took from Jab's Kraken build. but lacks other signature squid powers, like having multiple appendages and reach on its attacks, as Squidzoid seems to only have two dominant hands while its tentacles don't really seem to function for grabs and stuff. No Melmost build, as we don't know as much about it as the other characters in the play.

Appearance: Squidzoid is played by a penguin wearing a large squid costume with stitching patches and big glassy eyes. It is mostly implied that it is meant to be a hybrid between a penguin and a squid, presumably with a blue coloring.
SolarOracle

Puffles

Post by SolarOracle »

Role: Adorable Pets, The Main Reason You Begged Your Parents For a Membership As a Kid

Puffle

Power Level 0 - 21 Character Points - Minion Rank 2, Sidekick Rank 5

Abilities
Strength -3*, Agility 0, Fighting 0, Awareness 0
Stamina -3, Dexterity 0, Intellect 0, Presence 0
*-2 due to size.

Powers
Little Ball of Fur
: Shrinking 8 (Stealth +8, Dodge and Parry +4, Speed -1, Strength -2, Intimidation -4) (Extras: Innate, Permanent). [17]
Movement 1 (Slithering). [2]
High-Jumper: Leaping 1 (15 ft.). [1]
Adapted to Every Environment: Immunity 2 (Heat and Cold) (Flaws: Limited to Half-Effect). [1]

Advantages
None.

Skills
Athletics 2 (-1 total).
Expertise (Survival) 4 (+4 total).
Expertise (Treasure Hunting) 6 (+6 total).
Perception 2 (+2 total).
Stealth 0 (+0 total, +4 size).

Offense
Initiative +0
Unarmed
+0, close damage -3.

Defense
Dodge 4*, Fortitude 0, Parry 4*, Toughness -3, Will 0
*+4 with size.

Complications

Loyalty: Their Owner: Puffles are incredibly loyal to their owners.

No Limbs: Puffles have no arms or hands, and thus cannot easily manipulate things.

“The Puffle Language”: Puffles can only directly communicate with each other, using a language only spoken by their kind composed mostly of squeakings. They cannot communicate directly with other species, and rely on non-verbal cues and signs to express themselves to penguins.

-10 Abilities, 21 Powers, 0 Advantages, 7 Skills, 3 Defenses = 21 Character Points

About: Perhaps the most iconic aspect of Club Penguin were the pets you could have, the adorable puffles, small fuzzy creatures who were tiny limbless bouncy balls of fur with big eyes and a near-perpetual smile. They were added to the game in 2006, and said to be natives to the island, who had mysteriously started appearing around Club Penguin, as local scientists started to study the creatures. They could survive in extreme temperatures, had a good temperament and could move by sliding despite not having paws or legs. They fed on a mysterious piece of vegetation known as O' Berries, which were shaped like "O"s. Individual builds for each puffle type are included later in this post.

More and more species of puffles were added to the game as time went on, with there being only 4 in 2006 when they were first released, but there being over 25 adoptable types of puffle by the time the game was closed in 2017. Members were free to adopt any variety of puffle, while non-members were limited to red and blue puffles.

Initially, the different puffle types were differentiated by color, with each having its own unique personality and abilities, but as time went on, more exotic puffles started to be added as "Puffle Creatures", who weren't officially puffles, but related to them. These creatures didn't have their own unique menu or hud, and could only be cared for through the Puffle Hotel in the plaza.

As a kid, I really liked the puffles and had a bunch as pets in my account. Since I was a non-member for the majority of the time I played, I only had red and blue ones at first, but eventually, after finally wearing my parents out and getting them to subscribe to a membership, I would go on to collect all of the ones available at the time. I remember what a big deal it was whenever a new puffle was added, as everyone would log in to investigate whatever quest was associated with getting them, and how playground rumors would always spread of secret puffles you could unlock, like the elusive rainbow puffle, all of which would of course prove to be false, LOL.

I stopped playing before puffle creatures were a thing, and the last puffle I remember being added when I was actively playing was the brown puffle, which was launched on, like, the cusp of when I stopped playing. Because of that, I kind of end up having a weird reaction to the ones that were added after I stopped playing (well, except for the Rainbow puffle. That one looks cool as hell, and I'm mad it was only made real after I had already stopped playing, LOL, probably would have been my favourite). I don't know, the "puffle creatures" all kind of end up just not looking right. There was also apparently an overhaul on the overworld sprite for all puffle types at some point, and I REALLY don't like how polished the new ones look, LOL.

Really simple build here, really, at an obvious PL 0, as puffles are small and harmless, and don't have any special powers as a base. I gave them Shrinking 8, trying to make them more or less the same size as small dogs, since that's kind of how I always imagined their size as being. Puffle sizes are really inconsistent and confusing, as they have been officially stated as being half the size of a penguin, but are always drawn as being about a quarter of that, and other times are illustrated as being even tinier, easily fitting on the shoulder of your average Club Penguin penguin. Size Rank -2 felt like a good approach to this, making them more or less the same size as a small dog.

I did this build with them having their mental stats as 0, as puffles are consistently shown having human-level (well, penguin-level, LOL) intelligence, and are able to interact normally amongst each other through the "puffle language". This language is their only real limitation, since it impedes penguins from directly talking to them. Because of this, I decided to keep all their mental scores as 0 as a base, and have that vary amongst species to represent their unique traits and personalities.

I gave them a decent amount of survival ranks, as puffles are wild animals that were able to survive in the island before the arrival of penguins, and gave them a quite a bit of Expertise (Treasure Hunter) ranks, as a mechanic was added at some point that allowed puffles to dig up treasure for their owners. They also have an OK perception skill.

Blue Puffle - Minion Rank 2, Sidekick Rank 5

Attitude: Content, loyal and a team player.
Favorite Toys: Beach ball.
Favorite Food: Pretzels.

About: The most basic puffles of them all, blue puffles are characterized as being easy to care for and very friendly. When puffles were first added, blue puffles were the only ones adoptable by non-members, and were one of the only two species to be like that by the time the game closed. In the DS game, there was an Elite Puffle named Bouncer whose special skill was throwing snowballs, which I assume was inspired by how blue puffles like to play with beach balls.

I always found blue puffles to be really boring, and I'm pretty sure that's a fairly universal opinion among the community. They don't really have any unique traits or interesting personalities like the other species, kind of making them the most "basic" puffle. Fittingly, the build for them should be the same as the base one, LOL, tho I should note that a Puffle poster notes that there are rumors that blue puffles hide "many superpowers", whatever that means.

Green Puffle - Minion Rank 2, Sidekick Rank 6

Attitude: Energetic, playful, funny.
Favorite Toys: Red Propeller Cap, Unicycle, and 3 red balls.
Favorite Food: Tacos.

Abilities
Strength -3*, Agility 1, Fighting 0, Awareness 0
Stamina -3, Dexterity 0, Intellect 0, Presence 1
*-2 due to size.

Powers
Propeller Cap: (Flaws: Removable). [4]
Flight 2 (16 Km/H or 8 MpH). (4)

Skills
Acrobatics 6 (+7 total).

-6 Abilities, 25 Powers, 0 Advantages, 7 Skills, 3 Defenses = 29 Character Points

About: One of the first four species of puffle to be added to the game, green puffles are pranksters and jokers, enjoying silliness, zany antics and jokes, practical or otherwise, and were also described as being one of the fastest species of puffle. They could fly around with their propeller caps, and were even able to assist their owners on Jet Pack Adventure games by flying alongside them with their propeller caps.

Green puffles were pretty iconic to Club Penguin, even among other puffle species, probably because of how unique its personality was. I found them pretty cool as a kid, mainly because of their ability to fly. They have higher charisma than other species, representing their pension for jokes and general attitude, a higher Agility and pretty decent Acrobatics, representing their skills with balancing acts and general speed.

Pink Puffle - Minion Rank 3, Sidekick Rank 7

Attitude: Active, cheery.
Favorite Toys: Skipping rope, snorkel, trampoline.
Favorite Food: Watermelon.

Abilities
Strength -2*, Agility 1, Fighting 0, Awareness 0
Stamina -2, Dexterity 0, Intellect 0, Presence 0
*-2 due to size.

Powers
Powerful Lungs: Enhanced Stamina 4 (Flaws: Limited to Holding Breath). [4]

Skills
Athletics 6 (+6 total).
Athletics 4 (+10 total) (Flaws: Limited to Swimming).

-4 Abilities, 25 Powers, 0 Advantages, 11 Skills, 3 Defenses = 35 Character Points

About: Another one of the first puffle species to be added, pink puffles were fit and active, playing with fitness and sports gear and excelling on those. They were also amazing swimmers, able to hold their breath for ridiculous lengths of time underwater and even helping their owners on games of Aqua Grabber.

I never liked pink puffles as a kid, not only because I never liked the color pink (mostly for dumb child "pink is for girls!" reasons, LOL), but also because I found them boring and not having a lot of character compared to other puffles. They were just kind of the "fit puffle", and I thought that was kind of dumb. This build gives them a higher Strength, Agility and Stamina, and also plenty of Athletics ranks compared to other puffles, making them truly great at sports and fitness. Their skills as swimmers is represented by an additional four ranks of Limited Athletics, and with a power that increases their Stamina for holding their Breath, allowing them to stay underwater for really long times.

Black Puffle - Minion Rank 3, Sidekick Rank 8

Attitude: Intense, strong.
Favorite Toys: Skateboard, catching on fire.
Favorite Food: Fish Burger.

Powers
Fire Aura: Reaction Damage 3 (Flaws: Activation 2 - Standard Action, Source - Puffle Food), linked to Flight 2 (16 Km/H or 8 MpH) (Flaws: Activation 2 - Standard Action, Source - Puffle Food), linked to Feature: Adds fire to Unarmed attack (Flaws: Source - Puffle Food). [15]

Skills
Athletics 5 (+4 total).
Athletics 6 (+10 total) (Flaws: Limited to Skateboarding).

-10 Abilities, 36 Powers, 0 Advantages, 11 Skills, 3 Defenses = 40 Character Points

About: The final of the original four puffle types, black puffles are cool, silent and detached, almost always frowning and looking disinterested, but are very fond of radical and cool things, like skateboarding or electronic music. Black puffles are also known for their power to set themselves on fire, which also allows them to fly, a power they activate after eating puffle o's or o' berries. Black puffles could help their owners in the Cart Surfer game, earning them more coins. A famous black puffle is of course Flare, the Elite Puffle who was first introduced in the DS game, as he could be summoned in the online game by players who played the DS game. Flare had mastered the fire powers of a black puffle, and could breathe a jet of blue flames, useful for melting ice or welding metal.

Black puffles were the coolest thing ever when I was kid, tho nowadays their concept does come off as somewhat tryhard. Them having unique powers and being into skateboarding, while also having a unique sprite, as they were always grumpy unlike the other happy puffles, made them stand out quite a bit and made them one of my child self's favourite puffles. You also played the minigame Thin Ice as a black puffle, needing to navigate the ice mazes while walking over each tile only a select number of times, as the black puffle would melt them, which also made the black puffle stand out to me, as I loved that minigame.

Buld-wise, black puffles have a bit of Athletics skill, and mainly a lot of it limited to skateboarding, as they are really good at that. They also of course have their signature fire aura, activatable through puffle food as a Standard Action, which allows them to fly around.

Purple Puffle - Minion Rank 2, Sidekick Rank 5

Attitude: Happy, fabulous, particular, diva.
Favorite Toys: Bubble wand with bubble mixture and disco ball
Favorite Food: Hummus and pita.

Abilities
Stamina -3, Dexterity 0, Intellect 0, Presence 2
*-2 due to size.

Skills
Expertise (Dance) 8 (+8 total).

-6 Abilities, 21 Powers, 0 Advantages, 11 Skills, 3 Defenses = 29 Character Points

About: The first new puffle to be added, purple puffles were introduced in late 2006, being picky eaters and acting a bit like prima donnas, but being quite charismatic, loving parties and dancing. They could help their owners on the Dance Contest game, where they could let their dancing skills shine.

I never liked purple puffles, mostly because of how stupid I found their personality traits to be as a kid. Like, the main thing that made them stand out was them being "the dance puffle" and I found that dumb, tho I did like how their own unique sprite, having a softer smile than other puffles. I really don't get why they didn't do unique puffle sprites for puffle released afterwards, honestly. Their build is pretty simple, having higher Presence than other puffles and having 8 ranks in Expertise (Dancing).

Red Puffle - Minion Rank 2, Sidekick Rank 6

Attitude: Adventurous, extreme, courageous.
Favorite Toys: Three bowling pins, cannon, helmet, parachute.
Favorite Food: Stinky Cheese.

Skills
Acrobatics 3
(+3 total).
Athletics 4 (+3 total).
Athletics 6 (+9 total) (Flaws: Limited to Surfing).

-10 Abilities, 21 Powers, 0 Advantages, 12 Skills, 3 Defenses = 26 Character Points

About: Added in very late 2006, red puffles were adventurous, daring and brave, obsessed with doing stunts, adventuring and surfing. They were the only new puffle species added to be adoptable by non-members, making them INCREDIBLY popular. They were also associated with the character Captain Rockhopper, as he discovered the species while voyaging onto an island filled with wildlife which he named Rockhopper Island, taking the strange puffles to Club Penguin so they could be adopted by the island folk, and even taking one for himself as a pet and first-mate, naming him Yarr. Red puffles could help their owners in the Catchin' Waves game.

Like many other players, my first puffle was one of these, so they will always hold a special place in my heart. Among the two non-member puffle choices, red puffles were by far much more interesting, having an actual interesting personality and being able to help you on a minigame unlike its blue counterpart. Because of that, red puffles will always hold a special place in my heart, and remain one of my favourte puffle types. This build gives them a few Acrobatic ranks, tho not many, and bumps up their Athletics significantly, as well as giving them a lot of ranks in that limited to surfing.

Yellow Puffle - Minion Rank 3, Sidekick Rank 7

Attitude: Creative, spontaneous, and artistic.
Favorite Toys: Paint pad, paintbrush, easel, movie camera, slate, directors chair, black directors/artists hat, paint, canvas.
Favorite Food: Popcorn.

Skills
Expertise (Actor) 6 (+6 total).
Expertise (Art) 8 (+8 total).
Expertise (Music) 6 (+6 total).

-10 Abilities, 21 Powers, 0 Advantages, 17 Skills, 3 Defenses = 31 Character Points

About: Added in 2007, the latest puffle to be included in the game when I started playing, yellow puffles were creative and lovers of all kinds of art, often practicing paintings, sculpting and theater. Yellow puffles could help their owners in games of DJ3K, representing their passion for music.

Yellow puffles were probably my favourite puffle when I started playing and the first member-exclusive puffle I bought after getting a membership was one of them. I think I was drawn to them because of always having felt like a creative, so I saw something of myself in them, I guess, LOL. I also grew attached to them due to my favourite easter egg on the game, the Keeper of the Stage, a yellow puffle who lived in the theater and would always have a secret special animation depending on what play was in season. They are fairly straightforward as a build, gaining a lot of ranks in Expertises related to diverse forms of art.

White Puffles - Minion Rank 4, Sidekick Rank 11

Attitude: Shy, powerful, gentle.
Favorite Toys: Ice skates, frozen wave, snowcloud, ice rink.
Favorite Food: Yogurt Parfait.

Abilities
Strength -4*, Agility 0, Fighting 3, Awareness 1
*-2 due to size.

Powers
Shrinking +2 (Stealth +2, Dodge and Parry +1, Intimidation -1) [+4]

Ice Maker: Create (Ice) 4 (Extras: Continuous, Innate, Precise). [14]

Skills
Acrobatics 4
(+4 total).
Athletics 4 (+2 total).
Expertise (Ninja) 4 (+4 total).

-4 Abilities, 39 Powers, 0 Advantages, 13 Skills, 3 Defenses = 51 Character Points

About: Added in 2009, white puffles were the smallest species of puffle and were associated with ninjas, being said to be gentle and shy, but extremely powerful. They also were known for their ice powers, being able to freeze things with their icy breath and create small structures of ice.

White puffles were the first "new puffle" I experienced, as they launched about one year after I started playing the game, and I remember my extreme hype and excitement when they were first spotted on the dojo. Them being "ninja puffles" with ice powers, which was ALWAYS my favourite superpower growing up, made them an instant favourite. Them being slightly smaller than other puffles was a nice touch and made them stand out more.

For this build, white puffles have 2 additional shrinking ranks, representing their smaller size, and have a Create effect for their ice creations. I considered doing a freeze affliction for them, but that is something most white puffles probably couldn't achieve, tho Chill, the Elite Puffle from the DS game, could. They have the highest PL among the puffles due to their high Fighting ranks, as they have some training as ninjas, but have a lower Strength due to their gentle nature. They also have a slightly higher Awareness, as well as Acrobatics, Athletics and Ninja Expertise ranks.

Orange Puffle - Minion Rank 2, Sidekick Rank 4

Attitude: Zany, curious.
Favorite Toys: Box, wagon.
Favorite Food: Socks.

Abilities
Strength -3*, Agility 0, Fighting 0, Awareness -1
Stamina -3, Dexterity 0, Intellect -1, Presence 0
*-2 due to size.

Powers
Powerful Bite: Strength-based Damage 3. [3]

-14 Abilities, 24 Powers, 0 Advantages, 7 Skills, 3 Defenses = 20 Character Points

About: Added in 2010, orange puffles were zany and playful as well as big eaters with a huge apetite and the ability to eat anything, especially things that aren't food. They hail from an alternate dimension known as the Orange Puffle Dimension, and first came in contact with Club Penguin through the multiversal nexus known as the Box Dimension, accessible from certain carboard boxes in the April Fools Party. Perhaps due to this, they seem to be very fond of cardboard boxes, often playing with them. They were attracted to Club Penguin due to the growth of a huge cornfield on the island, attracting these hungry puffles to feast on the popped corn.

I never really liked orange puffles. I don't know, them being characterized as unintelligent and distracted and having their main trait be that they eat anything always seemed dumb to me, especially how "LOL, random!!!" this whole species always came off to me as. Them coming from an alternate dimension is pretty cool, but them being this weird mean spirited hillbilly stereotype always felt weird to me. Their build has a lower intellect and awareness, but gives them a powerful bite attack, representing how they can chomp through hard objects and eat anything. They are rumored to be able to travel to the Box Dimension on their own without the need of cardboard boxes, but since that was never confirmed, I didn't include it.

Brown Puffles - Minion Rank 4, Sidekick Rank 10

Attitude: Super Smart, inventive.
Favorite Toys: Beakers, rocket, plasma ball, helmet, parachute, safety goggles.
Favorite Food: Astronaut ice cream.

Abilities
Stamina -3, Dexterity 0, Intellect 5, Presence 0
*-2 due to size.

Powers
Gadgets and Inventions: (Flaws: Removable). [10]
Variable 2 (Gadgets and Gizmos). (14)

Advantages
Inventor

Skills
Expertise (Science) 8 (+13 total).
Technology 6 (+11 total).

0 Abilities, 31 Powers, 1 Advantages, 14 Skills, 3 Defenses = 49 Character Points

About: Added in 2011, the last puffle I saw added to the game, brown puffles were extremely intelligent, capable of understanding complex science and creating mechanical contraptions and devices as inventions, as they were first discovered underground in a cave filled with graphs, formulae and complicated machinery they had invented when left unattended.

Brown puffles were pretty cool, as they were similar to super scientists, with an impossible grasp of science and a passion for creating cool devices. For their build, I gave them a removable Variable effect, representing their inventions, as well as the Inventor Advatange. They also have really high Intellect, a LOT of Expertise (Science) and Technology ranks.

Rainbow Puffles - Minion Rank 2, Sidekick Rank 6

Personality: Regal, playful, and even rumored to be magical.
Favorite Toys: Cloud, royal throne.
Favorite Food: Rainbow lollipops.

Powers
Magical Nature: Variable 1 (Minor Magic Effects). [7]

Cloud Shaper: Feature 2: User is able to interact with clouds as if they were solid, as if their touch had Affects Insubstantial 2 for that purpose. [2]

-10 Abilities, 30 Powers, 0 Advantages, 7 Skills, 3 Defenses = 30 Character Points

About: Added in 2013, but rumored to exist LONG before that, rainbow puffles were mysterious and magical, hailing from the Cloud Forrest up in the skies above Club Penguin. Rainbow Puffles were a popular playground rumor since the early days of the game, as a secret special puffle you could unlock by performing strange combinations of actions. They were officially added to the game as a celebration of that reputation, being shown as puffle royalty and having magical properties, able to fart sparkles and perform minor feats of magic.

Damn I'm mad these weren't around when I was playing, LOL. They seem awesome, and I love how they were added as a nod to the fanbase and the rumors they would come up with. I did their build with a Variable effect, representing their magic, and a feature that allows them to interact with clouds, as they are natives from them.

Gold Puffle - Minion Rank 3, Sidekick Rank 7

Attitude: Energetic, lucky.
Favorite Toys: Pickaxe and Dynamite, golden jackhammer.
Favorite Food: Chocolate coins covered in gold foil.

Advantages
Luck 2

Skills
Expertise (Treasure Hunter) 4
(+10 total).

-10 Abilities, 31 Powers, 2 Advantages, 9 Skills, 3 Defenses = 35 Character Points

About: Another puffle that has been rumored to exist since long ago, gold puffles were added to the game in 2013, said to be extremely lucky and experts at mining and finding treasure. Like their rainbow counterpart, there were a lot of playground rumors about how to get these before they were actually in the game.

Unlike the rainbow puffles, gold puffles seem very meh. I don't know, wish they had gone some other route with them, as having them just be lucky, rare and good at locating treasure feels pretty lame. They could find exclusive loot when seeking treasure, represented by their higher Expertise ranks, and have 2 Luck ranks, representing their lucky nature.

Triceratops Puffle - Minion Rank 3, Sidekick Rank 8

Abilities
Strength -1*, Agility 0, Fighting 2, Awareness 0
*-2 due to size.

Powers
Dinosaur Puffle: Protection 2 (Extras: Impervious 2). [4]

Triceratops Horns: Strength-based Damage 2. [2]

Skills
Expertise (Survival) 2
(+6 total).

0 Abilities, 27 Powers, 0 Advantages, 8 Skills, 3 Defenses = 38 Character Points

About: Added at a prehistoric party, triceratops puffles were one of the first "puffle creature" types, available in red and blue, but not being officially puffles, just related to them. Unlike regular puffles, puffle creatures do not have a menu or hud, being unabled to be cared for outside of the puffle hotel and lacking personality traits and unique animations. Lame.

I don't like these, like most other puffle creatures. It's kind of unique I guess, but they feel lame and out of place among the others somehow. IDK, maybe I'm just resistant to change. For their build, they have higher Fighting, Strength and Stamina, as well as some dinosaur traits and attacks. They also have a higher Survival skill.

Stegosaurus Puffle - Minion Rank 3, Sidekick Rank 8

Abilities
*-2 due to size.

Powers

Spiked Tail: Strength-based Damage 2. [2]

Skills
Expertise (Survival) 2
(+6 total).

0 Abilities, 27 Powers, 0 Advantages, 8 Skills, 3 Defenses = 38 Character Points

About: Another dinosaur puffle species, this time modelled after a stegosaurus and available in pink and yellow.

This build is the same as the triceratops, but reflavored for their unique natural weapons instead.

Tyrannosaurus Puffle - Minion Rank 2, Sidekick Rank 6

Abilities
*-2 due to size.

Powers

Powerful Jaw: Strength-based Damage 2. [2]

Skills
Expertise (Survival) 2
(+6 total).

About: The final dinosaur puffle, tyrannosaurus puffles were available in black and purple.

Again, same build, just a bit reflavored.

Border Collie Puffle - Minion Rank 3, Sidekick Rank 7

Powers
Canine Senses: Senses 5 (Acute and Extended Scent, Low-Light Vision, Ultra and Extended Hearing). [5]

Skills
Athletics 6 (+5 total).

-10 Abilities, 26 Powers, 0 Advantages, 10 Skills, 3 Defenses = 29 Character Points

About: Puffle creatures based on border collies, added on 2014 along the tabby cat puffle.

Jesus Christ, I hate this thing. Puffles having their basic model altered this much ends up feeling way too off for me. I gave them some canine senses and higher Athletics ranks.

Tabby Cat Puffle - Minion Rank 4, Sidekick Rank 10

Abilities
Strength -3*, Agility 2, Fighting 0, Awareness 0
*-2 due to size.

Powers
Feline Senses
: Senses 5 (Acute and Extended Scent, Low-Light Vision, Ultra and Extended Hearing). [5]

Cat’s Agility: Immunity 5 (Fall Damage) (Flaws: Limited to Half-Effect). [2.5]

Skills
Athletics 6
(+5 total).
Acrobatics 5 (+7 total).

-6 Abilities, 33.5 Powers, 0 Advantages, 15.5 Skills, 3 Defenses = 46 Character Points

About: Tabby cat puffles were released alongside the border collie puffle, and, like other puffle creature, didn't really have any unique animations or traits.

Again, also not a fan. Based this a bit on Jab's cat build from his Animal Thread, giving them higher Agility, some senses and a half-Immunity to Fall Damage. They also have high Athletics and Acrobatics.

Snowman Puffle - Minion Rank 5, Sidekick Rank 15

Abilities
Stamina --, Dexterity 0, Intellect 0, Presence 0
*-2 due to size.

Powers
Snowman: Immunity 30 (Fortitude Effects). [30]
Immunity 10 (Piercing Damage). [10]
Immunity 30 (Slashing and Bludgeoning Damage) (Flaws: Limited to Half-Effect). [15]
Regeneration 2. [2]

-14 Abilities, 78 Powers, 0 Advantages, 7 Skills, 3 Defenses = 74 Character Points

About: Released in the 2014 Frozen party, snowman puffles were snow golems created by Elsa while she was visiting the island, and had a design very similar to Olaf.

I kind of like this one asa concept, especially with how it tties to the lore of the party it appeared in, just wish it had a more original design. Based this off Jab's Olaf build, having construct traits like absent Stamina and an Immunity to Fortitute, but also having an Immunity to Piuercing Damage and half-Immunity to Slashing and Bludgeoning, as a creature made of snow, able to regenerate.

Ghost Puffle - Minion Rank 5, Sidekick Rank 15

Abilities
Stamina --, Dexterity 0, Intellect 0, Presence 0
*-2 due to size.

Powers
Ghost: Immunity 30 (Fortitude Effects). [30]
Insubstantial 4. [20]
Flight 2 (16 Km/H or 8 MpH). [4]

-14 Abilities, 75 Powers, 0 Advantages, 7 Skills, 3 Defenses = 71 Character Points

About: Added on 2014's Halloween Party, these puffle creatures are specters and can fly and pass through solid objects.

I kind of dig these, the design looks pretty cool and their purple aura is a neat effect. I would have been into them had I been playing when they were added. Gave them some generic ghost traits, like absent Stamina, Insubstantial ranks, Flight speed and Fortitude Immunity, but didn't give them a lacking Strength, as they can still interact with the physical world when they want to.

Unicorn Puffle - Minion Rank 2, Sidekick Rank 6

Abilities
Strength -3*, Agility 0, Fighting 0, Awareness 1
*-2 due to size.

Powers
Equine Senses: Senses 2 (Acute Scent, Low-Light Vision). [2]

Unicorn Horn: Strength-based Damage 1. [1]
Immunity 2 (Poisons and Disease). [2]

Skills
Athletics 4 (+3 total).

-8 Abilities, 26 Powers, 0 Advantages, 9 Skills, 3 Defenses = 30 Character Points

About: Added through the Puffle Wild mobile game, which allowed you to connect to your Club Penguin account, unicorn puffles were available only in yellow. The white and black variety appeared in a medieval party as transformation potions you could use.

I'm really not into the puffle creatures with animal designs, this one is no exception. The white and black one look interesting tho. They have a higher Awareness, as well as animal senses and a special horn, that also makes them immune to poisons as that is a common unicorn thing.

Rabbit Puffle - Minion Rank 3, Sidekick Rank 7

Abilities
Strength -3*, Agility 1, Fighting 0, Awareness 1
*-2 due to size.

Powers
Rabbit Senses
: Senses 3 (Extended Acute Scent, Low-Light Vision). [3]

Skills
Acrobatics 4
(+5 total).
Athletics 3 (+2 total).
Expertise (Survival) 1 (+5 total).

-6 Abilities, 24 Powers, 0 Advantages, 11 Skills, 3 Defenses = 32 Character Points

About: Another Puffle Wilds puffle creature, rabbit puffles were available in green, pink, white and red.

Gave 'em some animal senses, higher Agility and Awareness and some higher skills that are appropriate for rabbits. Again, used Jab's build as a base.

Raccoon Puffle - Minion Rank 3, Sidekick Rank 7

Abilities
Strength -3*, Agility 1, Fighting 0, Awareness 1
*-2 due to size.

Raccoon Senses: Senses 3 (Extended Acute Scent, Low-Light Vision). [3]

Skills
Athletics 4 (+3 total).
Expertise (Survival) 2 (+6 total).
Sleight of Hand 4 (+4 total).

-6 Abilities, 24 Powers, 0 Advantages, 12 Skills, 3 Defenses = 33 Character Points

About: Also from Puffle Wilds, raccoon puffles were available in orange, pink, green and blue.

This one has a build similar to the rabbit, having higher Awareness and Agility and some appropriate skills. I gave them Sleight of Hand, as I see that as pretty characteristic of raccoons, but them not having hands might complicate this a bit, LOL.

Deer Puffle - Minion Rank 3, Sidekick Rank 6

Powers
Deer Senses: Senses 2 (Acute Scent, Low-Light Vision). [2]

Antlers: Strength-based Damage 1. [1]

Skills
Athletics 4
(+3 total).

-10 Abilities, 24 Powers, 0 Advantages, 9 Skills, 3 Defenses = 26 Character Points

About: The final Puffle Wilds creature, deer puffles were available in black, blue, purple and red.

I find it funny how the player card image for the black ones is badly mask and crops out some of the dots from its fur, LOL. Simple build here, basing it on Jab's Deer Build (I used that thread as reference A LOT on these, LOL), they gain some enhanced senses (minus radius right, as their eyes point forwards) and have an Antlers attack, as well as a slightly higher Athletics.

Blue Crystal Puffle - Minion Rank 3, Sidekick Rank 8

Powers
Magical Nature: Variable 1 (Minor Magic Effects). [7]
Flight 4 (60 Km/H or 30 MpH). [8]

-10 Abilities, 36 Powers, 0 Advantages, 7 Skills, 3 Defenses = 36 Character Points

About: Blue Crystal puffles were added on the holiday party of 2014, and were associated with the holiday figure Merry Walrus, being magical puffles who could travel through the air very fast and having a magical nature. Merry Walrus' sled was pulled by a group of them.

I like the concept for these guys, but not a fan of their design. I gave them a lot of flight ranks, as well as the Variable (Magic) stuff I did with rainbow puffles.

Alien Puffle

Powers
Alien Antenna: Teleport 3 (60 Meters or 250 Ft.) (Extras: Change Direction). [7]

-10 Abilities, 28 Powers, 0 Advantages, 7 Skills, 3 Defenses = 28 Character Points

About: The last puffle creature to be adoptable, added in an event in 2015, alien puffles appeared in green, yellow, orange and purple varieties, and apparently could use their antennae to teleport.

Honestly, I don't completely hate these guys being a thing, tho I do really dislike the design and wish they had done something else with it. For this build, I gave them a short-range Teleport power with Change Direction.

Purple Turkish Van Cat Puffle - Minion Rank 4, Sidekick Rank 10

Abilities
Strength -3*, Agility 2, Fighting 0, Awareness 0
*-2 due to size.

Powers
Feline Senses
: Senses 5 (Acute and Extended Scent, Low-Light Vision, Ultra and Extended Hearing). [5]

Cat’s Agility: Immunity 5 (Fall Damage) (Flaws: Limited to Half-Effect). [2.5]

Skills
Athletics 6
(+5 total).
Acrobatics 5 (+7 total).

-6 Abilities, 33.5 Powers, 0 Advantages, 15.5 Skills, 3 Defenses = 46 Character Points

About: Onto non-adoptable puffles, purple turkish van cat puffles appeared as easter eggs a few times throughout the game's later years, hinting that they may have been considered to be added quite a few times.

I really don't like this thing, like other animal puffles, tho I do prefer this design over the tabby one. This build is the same as the tabby build, as I don't think there is much of a difference between the types of cat puffl skill-wise.

Bat Puffle - Minion Rank 3, Sidekick Rank 7

Abilities
Strength -3*, Agility 0, Fighting 0, Awareness 1
*-2 due to size.

Powers
Bat Senses: Senses 1 (Low-Light Vision). [1]
Echolocation: Senses 4 (Extended, Ultra and Accurate Hearing). [4]

Bat Wings: Flight 2 (16 Km/H or 8 MpH) (Flaws: Winged). [2]

Bat’s Teeth: Strength-based Damage 1. [1]

-8 Abilities, 29 Powers, 0 Advantages, 7 Skills, 3 Defenses = 31 Character Points

About: Another species of puffle creature that wasn't adoptable, bat puffles made sporadic appearances in Halloween parties in the games later years.

They have higher Awareness, as well as some bat traits, like enhanced senses, echolocation, flight and teeth as a natural weapon. Again, used Jab's bat build as a reference for this.

Reindeer Puffle - Minion Rank 2, Sidekick Rank 6

Powers
Reindeer Senses: Senses 2 (Acute Scent, Low-Light Vision). [2]

Boreal Creature: Movement 1 (Environmental Adaptation - Cold). [2]

Antlers: Strength-based Damage 1. [1]

Skills
Athletics 4
(+3 total).

-10 Abilities, 26 Powers, 0 Advantages, 9 Skills, 3 Defenses = 28 Character Points

About: Reindeer puffles appeared in the 2012 Holiday party, before they had invented all the Merry Walrus lore I mentioned in the crystal puffle entry. Members could transform into them temporarily by eating a magic cookie, and they noses would glow red when dancing.

Build-wise, this is similar to the deer puffle, but with Environment Adaptation to the cold. This came from Jab's reindeer build.

Dragon Puffle - Minion Rank 5, Sidekick Rank 15

Abilities
Strength -1*, Agility 0, Fighting 2, Awareness 2
Stamina -1, Dexterity 0, Intellect 0, Presence 0
*-2 due to size.

Powers
Dragon Senses: Senses 7 (Extended and Low-Light Vision, Acute, Extended and Accurate Scent, Extended Hearing). [7]
Dragon’s Scales: Protection 2 (Extras: Impervious 4). [6]
Dragon’s Wings: Flight 4 (60 Km/H or 30 MpH) (Flaws: Winged). [4]

Fire Breath: Ranged Damage 3. (6) -- [7]
  • AE: Horns: Strength-based Damage 1. (1)
Advantages
Ranged Attack 2

Skills
Athletics 6 (+5 total).
Intimidation 4 (+4 total, +0 size).
Perception 4 (+6 total).
Ranged Combat (Fire Breath) 2 (+4 total).

6 Abilities, 45 Powers, 2 Advantages, 15 Skills, 3 Defenses = 71 Character Points

About: Another non-adoptable puffle creature, players could temporarily transform into dragon puffles during 2013's medieval party by brewing magical potions, with there being green and blue varieties.

Despite not really liking animal puffle creatures, I kind of like this one, mostly because I'm a sucker for dragons, tho I do think they should have also made a red version of these. Their build makes them possibly the most powerful puffles, able to breathe fire, fly, having powerful senses, hardened scales and having really high base ability scores, as well as additional ranks in Athletics, Perception and Intimidation.

Image`

Chicken Puffle

Powers
Chicken Senses: Senses 3 (Extended Low-Light Vision, Extended Scnet). [3]

Skills
Athletics 4 (+2 total).
Expertise (Survival) 2 (+6 total).

-10 Abilities, 24 Powers, 0 Advantages, 10 Skills, 3 Defenses = 27 Character Points

About: Also appearing in the 2013 medieval party, chicken puffles were non-adoptable puffles that the player would transform into whenever they brewed the transformation potion wrong. They also appeared as an easter egg in the Muppets World Tour party, as interacting with the salad tongs would have a chicken puffle jumping from the salad bowl, a reference to the Swedish Chef.

I hate how these things look, man. Gave them some enhanced senses and some higher Athletics and Survival ranks, all this based on Jab's chicken build.
OwOMotaros

Re: Puffles

Post by OwOMotaros »

SolarOracle wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 2:23 pm Image

Role: Adorable Pets, The Main Reason You Begged Your Parents For a Membership As a Kid

Puffle

Power Level 0 - 21 Character Points - Minion Rank 2, Sidekick Rank 5
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Man they must have gotten a lot of kids to blow their parents' money on... well, Tribbles with eyes. This game remains a bizarre unknown to me.
SolarOracle

Rising Zan: The Samurai Gunman

Post by SolarOracle »

Rising Zan: The Samurai Gunman is a weird and obscure 1999 PSX game, made by the Japanese developer Universal Entertainment Pictures Systems, a studio that had only worked on the Cool Boarders series of snowboarding games until that point, as they attempted to branch out by making a Devil May Cry-style hyperstylized 3d action-adventure game, and seems to have been the studio's best bet on making it big! The game was a massive flop, as the studio would close down two years later, and Rising Zan would fall into near total obscurity, only brought up on conversations about people remembering weird games from their childhood... And by me, every opportunity I get!

Rising Zan has a fun aesthetic, combining elements of westerns and cowboy fiction with ninjas and samurai, as well as some bizarre steampunk-y weird science stuff, like flying saucers and robots. The game follows the story of Zan, who changed his name from Johnny and whose full backstory is given to the player in the best videogame intro in history as you boot up the game, having gone to Japan to train as a samurai after being defeated in a gunfight in his youth, having now "the heart of a gunman, and the soul of a samurai", having equal skill with his gun and his sword and creating a unique fighting style that combines both, wielding a katana with one hand, named "Demon Slayer" and a cowboy revolver with the other, named "Johnny No More". This is the greatest premise for a videogame I have ever heard in my life.

The game follows Zan after he finished his samurai training in Japan, returning home to a small town in the old west years after he first left. However, as he arrives, he discovers that the town has been attacked by strange mutated ninjas who ransacked the town's mines and kidnapped its inhabitants. As he fights them, he eventually runs into Sapphire, the daughter of his samurai master who followed Zan into the west, and who used her information gathering skills to discover that the group of ninjas is called Jackal and is being lead by a mysterious man called Loki (pronounced "Lo-Kai"), who Zan seems to have some mysterious past with. A past so mysterious in fact that we do not learn about it at all during the game!

As his adventure continues, Zan encounters a mysterious scientist known as Doctor Gizmo, the leader of Jackal who was responsible for creating the mutant creatures and machinery the samurai gunman has encountered, and chases him and the rest of Jackal onto their base, encounter Loki along the way. Zan eventually reaches the top of the mechanical palace where Jackal is stationed at, having his final showdown against Loki and finally defeating him, then proceeding to fight Dr. Gizmo and his final creation, a strange mutated flesh monster, defeating Jackal once and for all and bringing peace to his hometown.

The game is fucking awesome, but a bit too ambitious for what it tries to do. I feel that if they had waited a year or two for the PS2 instead of making it as a PS1 title the game would have worked out much better, as the main issue with the gameplay is how clunky and stilted it feels, especially when it comes to aiming your attacks and movement, as well as the awful camera controls, so the dualshock movement sticks would have been a big help with that, as well as generally letting the game run smoother. I made the Devil May Cry comparison earlier for good reason, since I feel that Rising Zan could have played similar in the PS2, as both games are based on combos and combining melee and ranged combat. The game also has some interesting completion rewards, like unlocking new character skins, and even a game mode where you play as Sapphire instead of Zan.

If you can overlook its general clunkyness and frustrating controls tho, Rising Zan holds up pretty well as an action game, as there are a lot of combo options and special moves you can perform, spending a special bar you have to perform those. It also has its signature "Hustle Time!" mechanic, which allows you to spend Hero Points you accumulate by fighting and pulling off badass moves on your enemies to increase Zan's speed, reach and damage significantly, which always feels awesome. Some bossfights end up being a bit too gimmicky, but overall, they are all pretty solid, with the kabuki samurai aesthetics and interesting combat strats you need to come up with to deal with them.

I first heard about the game through a passing mention and joke on a YouTube video I was watching back in late 2018 or so, and became OBSESSED with this game! I watched playthroughs and played through it myself, and felt compelled to do a buildset last year after showing it off to a friend. I am genuinely mad this game ended up having the end it did, as you can see the ambition and passion behind it while playing, and how well it could have worked had they just developed it as a PS2 title instead. I don't even know who would even have the legal rights for this game at this point, after UEP went under, but I really think this series could work really well if revived, and it has the potential to be IMMENSELY popular based on the main character premise alone. It is time for the Zan to rise again!

Rising Zan Builds
Like I mentioned, I did a small set last year. I was originally planning to go all out and do every enemy and minor character, but decided against it simply because that would end up being too boring even for me (yes, even for the guy who did all the Hero Academia mooks from the PLF and a build for a glowing baby). I decided to keep it simple and just do a build for the characters who are actually interesting: Zan, Sapphire and Loki.
Last edited by SolarOracle on Wed Mar 29, 2023 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Dang, I think I didn't even put this on my master list! Sounds pretty wild and unique. But "too ambitious for itself" describes a LOT of games of this era- when technology had just leaped SKY HIGH from one generation to the next (the size difference between a Super Nintendo game and a Sony PlayStation one was more astronomical than in any generation before or since), people just figured EVERYTHING was possible, and so people shot for the heavens. And often missed entirely.

"Camera Control" is a big one. This has vexed nearly every game imaginable. I think Mario 64 is the only one to get it perfect. Resident Evil had to make all the angles deliberate (sometimes to make things difficult on purpose). But otherwise it was a MESS for several years, and people often never got it right.