Solar's Build Thread - The In-Between-Updates Update!

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
SolarOracle

Melissa Shield

Post by SolarOracle »

Melissa Shield

Identity: Melissa Shield, Public Identity.
Height: 1.69 meters.
Weight: Unknown.
Eyes: Aqua blue.
Hair: Blonde.
Skin: Fair.
Quirk Type: Quirkless.
Group: I-Island scientists.
Base of Operations: I-Island.

Power Level 2 (PL 3 Fortitude and Will) - 41 Character Points

Abilities
Strength 0, Agility 0, Fighting 2, Awareness 1
Stamina 1, Dexterity 1, Intellect 3, Presence 1

Advantages
Close Attack, Inventor

Skills
Athletics 2
(+2 total).
Deception 2 (+3 total).
Expertise (Science) 6 (+9 total).
Insight 2 (+3 total).
Perception 4 (+5 total).
Persuasion 4 (+5 total).
Technology 10 (+13 total).

Offense
Initiative +0
Unarmed
+3, close damage 0.

Defense
Dodge 1, Fortitude 2, Parry 3, Toughness 1, Will 4

Complications

Motivation: To Become an Inventor!: To compensate for her lack of powers, Melissa was taught to engineer and create support items by her father David from a young age, gaining a passion for doing so. She wishes to help those around her with her inventing, by creating support items for heroes and technology to assist humanity.

Quirkless: Melissa is quirkless, something that is rarer each generation that goes by, with only around 20% of people being quirkless these days. Due to this, Melissa could be seen as an easy victim for mockery and bullying by certain groups.

18 Abilities, 0 Powers, 1 Advantages, 15 Skills, 7 Defenses = 41 Character Points

About: Pretty much the only quirkless person we are introduced to in the story, Melissa Shield is the daughter of famous quirk scientist and former All Might sidekick, David Shield, and is a student at I-Island Academy, studying quirk science and support item development, hoping to one day become a capable inventor who can develop support items for pro heroes. Growing up quirkless, Melissa faced many insecurities and difficulties, deciding to find a way to help others in her own way, and, with the help of her father, dedicating herself to mastering quirk sciences.

When Melissa found out she was quirkless as a child, her father David tried to console her by telling her that his quirk was nothing special either, but that did little to quell her insecurities. It would only be days later, when All Might came to visit I-Island, that she learned of her father being the one responsible for developing and improving All Might's costumes.

Shortly after his arrival, however, a storm appears to threaten I-Island, making All Might spring into action and blow it away with his quirk, causing Melissa to think to herself about how she will never be able to become a hero and do stuff like that without a quirk, as she goes to congratulate the hero. However, surprising her, All Might instead draws attention to how his costume was completely undamaged despite the disaster he faced, and how it's only because of David Shield's work that he is able to save people and do hero work without worry, saying that David is his hero. Melissa's father then tells her that, despite not being a hero and not having a quirk suitable for hero work, that he still managed to find his own way to save people and help those in need, inspiring Melissa and creating in her the desire to do the same so she can become a hero in her own way.

Melissa applied herself to her dream, studying support item development and quirk science under her father's tutelage from a young age, and managing to become an extremely competent inventor even as a teenager, enrolling into I-Island Academy to deepen her studies of quirk science and, hopefully, one day, officially join I-Island's science team.

During the first movie, Melissa is the one to invite All Might, whom she affectionately calls Uncle Might, and a guest to I-Expo, I-Island's exposition of science, inventions and support items, hoping to surprise her father, who hasn't seen the hero in a long time. When All Might and Midoriya arrive at the island, Melissa comes to greet them, as the hero introduces the two teens to one another. The trio then make their way to David Shield's lab, as the inventor is shocked to see his longtime friend, and Midoriya, shocked to meet All Might's very first sidekick, starts rambling about him. The four then separate, as David suggests the teens go see the Expo so he and All Might can catch up.

While showing the inventions and items to Midoriya, the two end up running into various Class 1-A students around the expo who were coincidentally also visiting the island, and all join up with each other, giving Melissa the opportunity to get to know and hang out with the hero students. They all then decide to go together to the reception party at the end of the day, separating so they can all go get ready for it, tho Melissa tells Midoriya to come with her to her lab at the Academy before heading to his room.

As the two arrive at her lab, Midoriya asks Melissa if she wants to be a pro hero, prompting her to reveal the fact that she is quirkless, shocking the hero student, but she then tells him that she doesn't mind, since she still wants to help and save others through the development of support items. She then tells Midoriya that she noticed the scars on his hands and how his quirk is damaging to his body, giving him one of her inventions, the Full Gauntlet, which is a band of metal that wraps around his arm and nullifies the side effects of his quirk, but has a limited number of uses before it gives out and breaks. Midoriya then thanks her profusely, and makes his way to his room.

Later, the teenagers all meet up at the entrance to the reception party, as everyone is wowed by each other's formal wear. However, before this can continue, however, I-Island's security alarm goes off as the island enters full lockdown mode, jamming all cellphone signals and deactivating all elevators and doors, making everyone realize that the reception party was probably invaded by villains, who are hacking into the Island's security system.

Moving into the upper floors and looking down on the party through a glass floor, Midoriya gets All Might's attention with a flashlight, and through Jiro's enhanced hearing, All Might explains to the group that a group of villains invaded the Island and took David and his assistant, Samuel, as hostages, planning to force them to reveal the location of one of their most valued inventions, the Quirk Amplification Device.

Wanting to save her father, as the hero students are discussing what to do, Melissa tells the group she can reset the security system and free the pro heroes so they can help if she can get to the terminal at the top floor of the island. The other teens tell her it's too dangerous for someone quirkless to go there, since the tower is still filled with villains, but Melissa states that she is the only one who knows how to reactivate the security system, and that she needs to save the people of the island, forcing the group to reluctantly accept.

As the group make their way through the tower, they are forced to split up as they run into hijacked security robots and members of Wolfram's crew, separating so the hero students can buy time as Midoriya and Melissa continue to climb the tower. As the two approach the top floor of the tower, having just escaped a very dangerous encounter with a large swarm of security robots, Melissa and Midoriya are ambushed by Swordkil, whose surprise attack nearly pushes Midoriya off the window, but Melissa jumps toward the villain, distracting him for just enough time for the hero student to recover himself and take Swordkil down in a single blow, allowing the pair to continue.

The two then run into Wolfram himself, together with David and Samuel. Surprised by his daughter's sudden arrival, David reveals that he was working with Wolfram all along, and that they were just hired to stage a heist so he could recover the Quirk Amplification Device and give it to All Might, so the pro hero could recover from his damages and return to his prime, and that Wolfram's crew were just fake villains all along. Confused by this, Melissa reveals to David the dangers she faced while climbing the tower, confusing the inventor, and prompting Sam to give the Quirk Amplification Device to Wolfram. The assistant then tells David that he was actually the one who was hired by the villains who wanted to device, and that he felt like he needed to betray David due to them never having gotten paid by the invention.

After getting the device, Wolfram shoots Samuel in the arm, taunting him by saying he never had agreed to pay him, and attempts to shoot him again, only for David Shield to jump in the way of the bullet. As the villain starts his escape, having the two wounded scientists as hostages, Midoriya tells Melissa he will save them, and that she needs to regain control of the security system so the other pro heroes can fight as well. Determined and trusting Midoriya, Melissa makes her way to the computer, easily disabling the security system and the hacking done by Wolfram's crew, allowing the heroes and other students to make their way through the tower unblocked by the robots, proceeding to call All Might to tell him about the situation and asks for his help, as he easily scales the tower.

Melissa then watches in awe as the heroes fight off against a Wolfram now empowered by the Quirk Amplification Device, as Midoriya and All Might manage to overpower him by delivering a synchronized powerful Smash attack, breaking Midoriya's Full Gauntlet, knocking Wolfram out, and allowing them to rescue the two scientists. David thanks All Might for saving him, but All Might tells him that the real heroes are Melissa and Midoriya, as the pair watches them over from afar, and allows David to realize that his fears of the Symbol of Peace disappearing were baseless, and that the future will be in good hands lead by both of their successors.

Melissa also later makes a brief appearance in the Team Up Mission spinoff manga, where she goes to visit U.A. and forms a rivalry with Hatsume Mei, as the two force the hero students to test their support items in an attempt to compete with each other, leading to disastrous results. By the end of it, the two form a mutual respect, as they admit to the talent of the other, which is a small story I really liked.

Melissa is probably one of the best parts of the Two Heroes movie, which, in case my huge rant from forever ago didn't make clear, I am not a big fan of. She is a very likable character, with her optimistic and determined personality, and fulfills the role of a friend to Midoriya in a very unique way, as a quirkless person who also has heroic ambitions like him, but had to find a different way to fulfill her dream, especially with the importance the movie placed on David as a support item developer for All Might.

Not a lot to say about this build except that this is the first Hero Academia build I've done that used zero character points on Powers! I considered giving her some of the inventions she uses throughout the movie, like her pogo stick, but since it was a very one-off thing, I decided against it. Gave her only 2 ranks of fighting, since she doesn't seem to be very good at it, but also not completely inept, managing to hold off Swordkil for only a few seconds with a surprise attack, and gave her a very high Technology bonus, for obvious reasons.

Outfits: Melissa's usual attire is a white dress shirt with a pink coat and beige capri pants. She also wears a large plaid bow on her chest over the coat, a pair of tall plaid socks and a pair of tall brown boots.
MarvelLion

Re: Solar's Build Thread - Boku no Hero Academia Update

Post by MarvelLion »

Nice job with Melissa. She was indeed a fun character, and her Quirklessness was a cool detail. She was also handled well as another young gifted inventor without “stepping on the toes” of Hatsume. Her relationship with All Might and calling him Uncle Might was very endearing, and written well enough that I found it believable. Probably the funniest moment involving Melissa was Ochaco’s obvious jealousy of her being alone with Izuku. That gave me a chuckle.
SolarOracle

Samuel Abraham

Post by SolarOracle »

About: Sam was David Shield's lab assistant, and one of the culprits behind the events of the Two Heroes movie. He is shown to be kind and empathetic, but secretly driven by greed, being willing to put the safety of his friends and colleagues at risk for the opportunity to get money.

Sam worked along Dr. Shield for years, being one of the minds behind the Quirk Amplification Device, which took extremely hard work by both of them to create a functioning prototype for, but while David was motivated by his concern for All Might, Samuel was driven by the fame and money their invention could bring them. After their invention was deemed too dangerous and confiscated by their higher-ups, both scientists became extremely frustrated since they would now be unable to achieve their respective goals with the support item.

Sam then convinced David that they should stage a heist on the island by hiring fake villains and pretending they got away with the Quirk Amplification Device, so that way, they could both keep working on it, a plan Dr. Shield was onboard with, as he wanted to find a way to bring All Might back to his prime. However, in reality, Sam got in contact with a real villain group, Wolfram's crew, agreeing to give them the heisted device if they, in exchange, paid him a hefty sum of money.

Sadly for Samuel tho, he was betrayed by Wolfram, who shot him in the arm after getting the device, taunting the inventor by telling him he never agreed to actually pay for his help. Wolfram then tried to kill Sam with a shot, but was intercepted by David, who took the bullet for his friend, shocking Sam, who thought David would never forgive his betrayal, as the doctor proceeded to be taken as a hostage by Wolfram. By the end of the movie, Samuel receives medical treatment for his wound and is presumably incarcerated for his crimes.

Did this guy as a non-build purely because we don't get to see his quirk. All in all, he's a pretty interesting character. For as much shit as I give Two Heroes for being a bad movie, the whole twist with there being a triple crossing is probably one of the best aspects of the first movie, though it wasn't really presented too well on the movie itself, with how quick in succession each twist is.
SolarOracle

I-Island Security Robots

Post by SolarOracle »

I-Island Security Robot

Group: I-Island Security System.
Base of Operations: I-Island.

Power Level 4 - 39 Character Points

Abilities
Strength 0, Agility 1, Fighting 2, Awareness 2
Stamina --, Dexterity 2, Intellect --, Presence --

Powers
Security Robot
: Immunity 30 (Fortitude Effects). [30]
Protection 5. [5]
Senses 1 (Infra Vision). [1]

Metal Wires: Ranged Affliction 4 (Hindered and Vulnerable/Immobile and Defenseless) (Extras: Cumulative, Extra Condition) (Flaws: Limited Degree). [12]

Advantages
Benefit - Monstrous (Uses Strength instead of Presence for Intimidation), Ranged Attack, Withstand Damage

Skills
Intimidation 2
(+2 total).
Perception 4 (+6 total).

Offense
Initiative +1
Unarmed
+2, close damage 0.
Metal Wires +3, ranged affliction (Hindered and Vulnerable/Immobile and Defenseless), Dodge DC 14.

Defense
Dodge 2, Fortitude IMMUNE, Parry 2, Toughness 5, Will IMMUNE

Complications

Motivation: Security Bots: The security robots are I-Island’s automated security and police force, and patrol the streets and buildings in groups, prepared to immobilize any threat and take them to the authorities, following the security protocol from the island’s digital security system, which can be accessed through certain terminals.

Always in Groups: I-Island security robots always patrol in large groups. Small patrols seem to have 4 or 5 robots, while heavily guarded areas have dozens.

-16 Abilities, 48 Powers, 3 Advantages, 3 Skills, 1 Defenses = 39 Character Points

About: I-Island's security system's main asset, the security robots are mass produced conical robots with a retractable head that act as security and police on the island, patrolling around in big groups, prepared to imobilize lawbreakers with their retractable metal wires and bring them to the authorities.

Throughout the Two-Heroes movie, they appear a couple times patrolling the island, and are shown guarding the tower the main plot of the movie takes place in, having been hacked by Wolfram's team and made to fight the heroes, who had to think outside the box to find out how to overcome the threat of a massive group of them. By the end of the movie, after Melissa reestablishes the security protocol, the robots are returned to normal.

They don't seem to be very effective by themselves, relying mostly on having big numbers to use multiple sets of metal wires to capture their targets, ending at PL 3.5 with DC 4 snare. They are, however, shown to be very durable, retracting their head into their body to increase their protection even further (represented by the Withstand Damage advantage), even able to take on Kaminari's Indiscriminate Discharge without suffering any real damage. I also gave them infra vision since they have red camera lenses on their heads and seem to work in the dark without major difficulty or anything, tho it could also be regular dark vision, IDK, infra vision seems more likely.
Last edited by SolarOracle on Tue Jul 12, 2022 5:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
SolarOracle

Post by SolarOracle »

OK, with that, we are now officially through all Movie 1 builds, so we can go back to being happy and pretending it never existed aside from Melissa! And we've also gone through every robot in the main series, somehow, could have sworn there were a couple more, but guess I was wrong.
Next up, a kid who used to hate heroes, some cops and Bakugo's parents.
SolarOracle

Izumi Kota

Post by SolarOracle »

Izumi Kota

Identity: Izumi Kota, Public Identity.
Height: 1.07 meters.
Eyes: Black.
Hair: Black.
Skin: Fair.
Quirk Type: Emitter.
Group: None.
Base of Operations: Japan.

Power Level 0 - -12 Character Points

Abilities
Strength -2, Agility -2, Fighting -1, Awareness -1
Stamina -1, Dexterity -1, Intellect -2, Presence -2

Powers
Quirk - Water Gun

Feature: User can blast a small stream of water from their hands. [1]

Advantages
Ranged Attack

Skills
Athletics 2
(+0 total).
Deception 1 (-1 total).
Perception 2 (+1 total).
Persuasion 1 (-1 total).

Offense
Initiative -2
Unarmed
-1, close damage -2.

Defense
Dodge -1, Fortitude 0, Parry -1, Toughness -1, Will 3

Complications

Young Child: Kota is a small child who can easily be lifted by a person with average strength.

Trauma: Orphaned: Kota’s parents were a pro hero duo known as Water Hose, and died fighting Muscular back when he was only three years old. This lead Kota to detest quirks, villains and pro heroes and become recluse and reserved, tho after becoming close with Midoriya, who managed to change his views on the meaning of being a hero, Kota seems to have become more sociable and have fewer reservations about quirks and heroes.

-24 Abilities, 1 Powers, 1 Advantages, 3 Skills, 7 Defenses = -12 Character Points

About: A reserved, distant and grumpy child, Kota is the son of the famous pro hero pair knows as Water Hose, and, after their death by the hands of Muscular, started living with his cousin-once-removed, the pro hero Mandalay. His quirk, Water Gun, allows him to shoot a small amount of water from his hands.

Much of Kota's distant and uncaring personality comes from the death of his parents at a very young age, which also caused him to detest heroes and quirk society as a whole, seeing the sacrifice of his parents as them choosing their work over him, and thinking that pro heroes are all idiots willing to put their lives at extreme risk, not caring about how that can impact the people around them.

Mandalay of the Wild, Wild Pussycats was put in charge of taking care of Kota after the death of her cousin, and, as a result, Kota would spend a lot of his time with her hero team, first appearing in the story with them during the Forrest Training Camp arc, where he snarled and glared at the hero students, thinking they were all stupid for wanting to pursue hero work, even punching Midoriya in the balls when he tried to introduce himself to him, storming off and saying he has better things to do than hanging out with a bunch of wannabe heroes all day.

During U.A.'s stay at the camp, Kota helped with helping the Pussycats run the place, helping with the cooking and cleaning, and even with guarding the dividing wall between the boys' and girls' hot springs. When Mineta tries to climb over that wall to peep on the female bath, Kota manages to surprise him and knock him off the wall, saying he should try to be a decent human being before considering being a hero, in one of the funniest scenes from that arc. However, as the girls thank Kota for stopping Mineta, he is taken by surprise by seeing them in a bath, and ends up stumbling over and falling off the wall, being saved by Midoriya who catches him in the air, but passing out from the shock.

Midoriya then takes him to Mandalay's office and explains what happened to her, as she thanks him for rescuing him and lies him down so he can recover. Midoriya then asks Mandalay about why Kota despises heroes so much, as she tells him about his parents' death and his perspective on how he felt like they chose hero work over him, causing Midoriya to sympathize with the boy a lot more.

The following day, Midoriya follows Kota to his hideout in the mountains in a cliff above the forest, bringing him a plate of curry since he noticed the kid had skipped dinner, enraging Kota as he demands the hero student leave him alone and go away. Midoriya, however, instead asks the boy about his parents, telling him he is familiar with Water Hose and their history, only pissing off the young child even more, as he says that people flaunting their quirks around and calling themselves "heroes" is delusional, egotistical and stupid. Understanding the boy's struggle, Midoriya tells Kota about "a friend of his" who was born quirkless, and how he always wanted to be a hero despite that, and how he kept trying to manifest a quirk despite not having one, using it as a way to say that everyone views quirks differently, and that trying to push everyone and everything away will only serve to cause him further pain. Kota, however, is only more annoyed by all this, telling Midoriya to shut up already and just go, as the student apologizes and leaves Kota's plate of curry on the ground before taking off, leaving the young boy alone to think.

While lost in thought about the conversation he had with Midoriya, Kota fails to notice Muscular as he approached him from behind the cliff, surprising him and causing him to be paralyzed with shock, as he realizes Muscular is the same villain that killed his parents, not knowing what to do as he cries and tries to back away. Muscular tries to kill the kid with a punch, but Midoriya manages to arrive in time and rescue him from the villain, saying that he will protect him.

Midoriya tries to hold Muscular off, but that proves completely fruitless as the villain easily overpowers the hero student, with Midoriya getting repeatedly beaten up by the villain, who seems more concerned with having fun by repeatedly beating his opponent up then with actually fighting, as Kota watches in panic. Before the fight can continue, Kota throws a small rock at Muscular to distract him from Midoriya, asking the villain if he toyed with his parents the same way before killing them, enraging the villain as he realizes Kota's parents are the people who scarred him and took his eye away, as he shifts his focus to Kota and tries to ill him off, only for Midoriya to intervene again.

As their fight resumes, Muscular taunts Midoriya by pointing out how he's failed to hurt him in any significant way with how weak his quirk is in comparison to his, and that he will kill them both and that Midoriya can't do anything about it. The hero student retorts that doesn't matter if he can or can't, and that heroes are those who put their life on the line to turn talk into action, pissed by how Kota's suffering and hatred of heroes comes entirely from Muscular. Their fight continues, as Muscular absorbs full power hit after full power hit from Midoriya without feeling a thing, as the hero student continues to protect Kota and escape the villain's devastating attacks.

Not knowing what to do, Midoriya tells Kota to keep his distance while they are fighting and be ready to run away at full speed at any moment while he holds the villain back, with the child panicking as he sees the sacrifice Midoriya is willing to make for him, being reminded of his parents and not knowing what to do. As the villain manages to land another hit on the hero student, Kota then charges in, using his quirk to shoot a blast of water at Muscular, yelling at him to leave Midoriya alone, which halts Muscular for a second, as he laughs and tells Kota to wait patiently for his turn, and that he will kill him very soon, a threat that reawakens Midoriya's heroic spirit, as he yells that there's no way he'll ever let him do that, pushing past his limits and finally overpowering the villain, delivering a punch powerful enough to break past Muscular's resistance and finally defeats him, but at the cost of him severely damaging his arms.

As the battle ends, still shocked by everything that happened, Kota asks Midoriya why he would do all that and risk his life for him, someone he doesn't even know, remembering the time Mandalay told him he might not understand heroes now, but that one day he would meet someone who would make him see the self-sacrifice and good they embody, as he starts to tear up and cry. The two then return to camp, as Midoriya entrsusts Aizawa to take care of Kota while he continues to patrol the camp and rescue his classmates.

At the end of the arc, Midoriya receives a letter from Kota while he's in the hospital, thanking him for all he did and apologizing for punching him in the groin before, also saying that he hopes they can meet in person soon so he can thank him properly. This letter became one of Midoriya's most treasured possessions, as it became representative of the first time he maanged to save someone as a hero.

Kota makes a brief appearance later in the series, during the Pro Hero arc, where he and the Wild, Wild Pussycats visit Class 1-A's dormitory, with Kota being embarrassed to see everyone again as Midoriya comes greet him and thank him for the letter. Mandalay then points out to Midoriya how the kid is wearing red shoes similar to Midoriya, saying he asked them specifically to buy him red ones, embarrassing her cousin-once-removed even further, before Midoriya smiles and says that now they match, which cheers Kota up.

Kota's next appearance is at the Tartarus Escapees arc, where he is at U.A. High when Midoriya is brought back there by his friends, being one of the people to greet Midoriya back to the school, crying and hugging him in relief that he's made it back safely, telling Midoriya about how much he's inspired him and how he wants to become like him one day, and that he doesn't need to cry anymore, which moves Midoriya even more.

Kota fits into a character nieche of children that Midoriya has helped and inspired to change their views, together with Eri, Mahoro, Katsuma and even Rody Soul to an extent, serving also as the first person in the series Midoriya has directly saved by putting his life on the line for, sort of emblematic of his growth as a hero and character. Overall, I really like Kota, from his funny design to his character arc and growth, and hope we get to see maybe a bit more of him and Midoriya hanging out before the end of the series.

Outfits: Kota is shown wearing shorts, a white shirt, black boots and his iconic red cap with golden horn-like spikes. He later changes his boots for red sneakers like Midoriya's, and is shown wearing a hoodie when he is visiting U.A. High.
MarvelLion

Post by MarvelLion »

Nice job, especially with Melissa and Kota.
They are both well written, indeed, and I also like the continued trend of Deku inspiring children. I actually found some fanart of Kota, Eri, and Katsuma as teenagers, all attending U.A. in hopes of one day working with Deku. I think that would be cool to see in the actual series.
SolarOracle

Post by SolarOracle »

MarvelLion wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 1:38 pm Nice job, especially with Melissa and Kota.
They are both well written, indeed, and I also like the continued trend of Deku inspiring children. I actually found some fanart of Kota, Eri, and Katsuma as teenagers, all attending U.A. in hopes of one day working with Deku. I think that would be cool to see in the actual series.
Thanks man!

Yeah, the whole thing of Eri, Katsuma and Kota (as well as some other random kid characters, like Tamashiro from Masegaki Elementary School, for whatever reason, LOL) joining U.A. as teens is a really cute concept that the fanbase really likes, since it is kind of exciting to imagine what a next generation of U.A. students would be like, though since the Quirk Singularity Theory has been a heavy plotpoint throughout the series and all, the future of quirk society as a whole seems really uncertain and all, and a really prevalent theory is quirks being eradicated somehow or whatever (which I always thought would be a real downer ending, so I hope that ain't how it goes down).

All that considered, I think having Eri or Kota stepping into U.A. for the first time as teens would be a really cool ending shot for the series, bringing it all full circle for Midoriya, now a figure of inspiration for the new generation.
SolarOracle

Post by SolarOracle »

Know that feel of when you end up delaying a post by several days cus' you can't get good screenshots of anime cops, of all goddamn things?
SolarOracle

The Japanese Police Force

Post by SolarOracle »

As a consequence of the rise of quirk society, where pro heroes are the ones responsible for dealing with super powered criminals and other quirk-related crime, the police's job has become to deal with non-quirk related crimes and incidents, and having to do so purely with their normal tools and tactics, as members of the police usually don't have a license to use their quirks.

Cops, however, are still shown working closely with pro heroes, since they are still responsible for actually processing and arresting the captured villains after the heroes defeat them. They are also shown lending their force and numbers to high risk hero missions, like raids against villain bases or battles against especially dangerous villains.

A couple of heroes are also shown working directly with the police, interestingly, like Snatch, who would often be in charge of guarding police vehicles transporting villains or dangerous items, or Fat Gum, whom, in the Vigilantes spinoff, we see helping with police operations and being close friends with Kaniyashi Monika, an undercover cop.

Because the police force ends up being kind of secondary to the heroes in the series, we only really get to know a couple of police members, many of whom don't get a lot of focus, tho Detective Tsukauchi is still a pretty major character. It's kind of interesting to see how the roles of law enforcement are different in this universe, and kind of makes me wonder what other civic jobs hero society has altered.
SolarOracle

A Couple of Police Force Members I couldn't Build

Post by SolarOracle »

Which is to say, all of the named police people in the main series. Decided to leave the cops who appear in Vigilantes for when I get to covering that, tho I think I'm probably able to do a build for Kaniyashi. Anyways, ya know the drill, here's a bit about who these people are and why I didn't do a build for them.

Couldn't find the source for this fanart, sorry.

Detective Tsukauchi

About: Tsukauchi Naomasa is the most prominent police members in the series, being a close friend of All Might who worked by his side for years, and seems to be the closest contact between the pro hero community and the police, always dressed in a long coat, white gloves and hat, like a stereotypical detective. He is heavily implied to have some kind of lie detection quirk.

Tsukauchi gains a lot of focus in the Vigilantes spinoff, where he has various encounters with the Naruhata vigilantes and, in the end of the series, is the one responsible for starting the operation to capture them and arrest them for vigilantism. His younger sister Makoto is also a prominent character on that series, being a close friend of Koichi in the start of the series and ending up as a PR representative for the number one American hero, Captain Celebrity, as the series goes on.

Tsukauchi is a really cool character, being shown as an empathetic person devoted to discovering the truth and helping others. Sadly, since we don't know the exact way his quirk works, despite him being involved in various fights, I felt like I shouldn't do a build of him yet. Oh, also, apparently he also goes by the codename of "True Man," which I find very funny.

Tamakawa Sansa

About: Sansa is a guy with the head of a tabby cat who works as a member of the police force, serving under Detective Tsukauchi. He seems to be a serious and quiet person, and seems to take his job very seriously. When he is first introduced, comically, the UA students are shown thinking about how strange it is that he is a police cat instead of a police dog. Didn't do a build for him since we don't know how his quirk works exactly, aside from giving him a cat head, and because we don't really know anything about his abilities.

Chief Tsumaragae

About: The chief of police, Tsumaragae Kenji is a middle aged man with the head of a beagle who has the tendency of adding a "woof" at the end of every sentence he speaks. Chief Tsumaragae was shown to be very reasonable and flexible with his judgment despite his position, helping the class 1-A students who fought Stain to stay out of trouble by hiding the fact that they were the ones who defeated the Hero Killer, as they didn't have provisional licenses yet. Didn't build him as we don't know what his quirk does exactly.
MarvelLion

Post by MarvelLion »

I do really like how the police operate in the series. Their involvement in both raids of the League of Villains hideout and the Shie Hassaikai headquarters were especially cool. Like you said, Tsukauchi in particular is a great character, even though we don’t know a terrible lot about him. And I think the pictures you found are perfect!
SolarOracle

Police Officers

Post by SolarOracle »

Police Officers

Group: Police Force.

Power Level 4 - 47 Character Points

Abilities
Strength 1, Agility 2, Fighting 3, Awareness 1
Stamina 2, Dexterity 2, Intellect 0, Presence 0

Powers
Support Item - Bulletproof Vest
: (Flaws: Removable). [2]
Protection 1. (1)
Protection 2 (Flaws: Limited to Ballistics). (1)

Police Gear: 6 Point Array. (6) -- [8]
  • Support Item - Pistol: (Flaws: Easily Removable). (6)
    Ranged Damage 4. (8)
  • Support Item - Police Baton: (Flaws: Easily Removable). (2)
    Strength-based Damage 2. (2)
  • Support Item - Handcuffs: (Flaws: Easily Removable). (1)
    Feature: May restrain a defenseless target. (1)
Advantages
Close Attack, Ranged Attack

Skills
Athletics 4
(+5 total).
Deception 1 (+1 total).
Expertise (Police Officer) 4 (+4 total).
Insight 4 (+5 total).
Intimidation 3 (+3 total).
Investigation 2 (+2 total).
Perception 4 (+5 total).
Persuasion 1 (+1 total).
Ranged Combat (Pistols) 1 (+4 total).
Treatment 2 (+2 total).
Vehicles 2 (+4 total).

Offense
Initiative +2
Unarmed
+4, close damage 1.
Police Baton +4, close damage 3.
Pistol +4, ranged damage 4.

Defense
Dodge 3, Fortitude 3, Parry 4, Toughness 2/3/5*, Will 2
*Toughness 3 with vest. Toughness 5 against ballistics with vest.

Complications

Motivation: Police Force Member: Members of the police force are public servants tasked with maintaining peace and stopping criminals. They are supposed to take orders from their superiors and take care of non-quirk related crimes, as well as safely apprehending villains heroes have defeated, and providing support to the hero community when required.

Limited Ammunition: Policemen typically only carry a couple of magazines with them, and will run out of ammunition to reload after too many shots, as decided by the DM.

22 Abilities, 10 Powers, 1 Advantages, 10 Skills, 4 Defenses = 47 Character Points

About: A simple build representing a common police officer in regular gear. Used the official police officer statblock from the Gamemaster's Guide as a base for this, but modified a bit to fit better with how I've done these builds so far, including a higher damage for their pistol, since a policeman should ABSOLUTELLY be more proficient with a gun than a common thug. I also decided to keep their gear as removable powers, like I've done with my other BnHA builds, tho that was a decision I went back and forth on.

Outfits: Police officers wear a uniform consisting of blue button up shirts, dark blue pants, black shoes and a dark blue police cap, also wearing a dark blue vest over their shirts.
SolarOracle

Raid Gear Police Officers

Post by SolarOracle »

Police Officers (Raid Gear)

Group: Police Force.

Power Level 5 (Defensive PL up to 6) - 58 Character Points

Abilities
Strength 2, Agility 2, Fighting 4, Awareness 1
Stamina 2, Dexterity 3, Intellect 0, Presence 0

Powers
Support Item - Riot Gear
: (Flaws: Removable). [4]
Protection 4. (4)

Police Gear: 11 Point Array. (11) -- [15]
  • Support Item - Machine Gun: (Flaws: Easily Removable). (11)
    Ranged Damage 6 (Extras: Multiattack) (Flaws: Inaccurate). (17)
  • Support Item - Pistol: (Flaws: Easily Removable). (6)
    Ranged Damage 4. (8)
  • Support Item - Riot Shield: (Flaws: Easily Removable). (4)
    Enhanced Dodge 2. (2)
    Enhanced Parry 2. (2)
  • Support Item - Police Baton: (Flaws: Easily Removable). (2)
    Strength-based Damage 2. (2)
  • Support Item - Handcuffs: (Flaws: Easily Removable). (1)
    Feature: May restrain a defenseless target. (1)
Advantages
Close Attack, Ranged Attack

Skills
Athletics 4
(+5 total).
Deception 1 (+1 total).
Expertise (Police Officer) 4 (+4 total).
Insight 4 (+5 total).
Intimidation 3 (+3 total).
Investigation 2 (+2 total).
Perception 4 (+5 total).
Persuasion 1 (+1 total).
Ranged Combat (Machine Guns) 2 (+5 total).
Ranged Combat (Pistols) 1 (+6 total).
Treatment 2 (+2 total).
Vehicles 1 (+3 total).

Offense
Initiative +2
Unarmed
+5, close damage 2.
Police Baton +5, close damage 4.
Pistol +6, ranged damage 4.
Machine Gun +4, ranged damage 6.

Defense
Dodge 3/5*, Fortitude 3, Parry 4/6*, Toughness 2/6*, Will 2
*Toughness 6 with riot gear. Parry and Dodge +2 with riot shield.

Complications

Motivation: Police Force Member: Members of the police force are public servants tasked with maintaining peace and stopping criminals. They are supposed to take orders from their superiors and take care of non-supervillain related crimes, as well as safely apprehending villains heroes have defeated, and providing support to the hero community when required.

Limited Ammunition: Policemen typically only carry a couple of magazines with them, and will run out of ammunition to reload after too many shots, as decided by the DM.

Weapon Distribution: When going on raids or riot control, needing to carry heavy armament, members of the police force aren’t able to arm themselves with everything on their array, only packing a couple of weapons each.

24 Abilities, 19 Powers, 1 Advantages, 10 Skills, 4 Defenses = 58 Character Points

About: A slightly modified version of my police officer build, meant to represent the assault squads we see during the League of Villains' hideout raid and the Shie Hassaikai raid, having higher defenses and attacks, as well as much better gear, pumping them up by a PL or 2. Decided to keep the riot shields as an alternate effect, mostly because we don't see officers wielding those and a gun simultaneously at any point.

Outfits: Raid squad officers wear their raid gear, with a black helmet with a mirrored visor and a large padded coat on top of their regular uniform.
SolarOracle

Bakugo Masaru

Post by SolarOracle »

Bakugo Masaru

Identity: Bakugo Masaru, Public Identity.
Height: 1.77 meters.
Eyes: Brown.
Hair: Brown.
Skin: Tan.
Quirk Type: Emitter.
Group: None.
Base of Operations: Japan, Tokyo, Musutafu City.

Power Level 2 (PL 3 Quirk) - 20 Character Points

Abilities
Strength 0, Agility 0, Fighting 2, Awareness 0
Stamina 2, Dexterity 0, Intellect 0, Presence 0

Powers
Quirk - Acid Sweat

Explode Sweat: Damage 3 (Flaws: Source - Sweat). (2) -- [3]
  • AE: Close Damage 2 (Flaws: Source - Sweat), Linked to Weaken Toughness 1 (Flaws: Source - Sweat). (1)
Advantages
Close Attack

Skills
Athletics 3
(+3 total).
Deception 1 (+1 total).
Expertise (Fashion) 4 (+4 total).
Expertise (Pro Hero) 1 (+1 total).
Persuasion 1 (+1 total).

Offense
Initiative +0
Unarmed
+3, close damage 0.
Explosion +3, close damage 3.
Acid Sweat +3, close damage 2, weaken (Toughness), Toughness DC 11.

Defense
Dodge 2, Fortitude 2, Parry 3, Toughness 1, Will 1

Complications

Subdued: Unlike his brash and loud wife, Masaru is very reserved and levelheaded, to the degree he finds himself unable to be heard or do anything when conflict takes place around him.

Responsibility: Family: Masaru has a wife and child and cares deeply for them.

6 Abilities, 3 Powers, 1 Advantages, 5 Skills, 5 Defenses = 20 Character Points

About: A calm, somewhat timid and peaceful man, Bakugo Masaru is the husband of Mitsuki and father of Bakugo Katsuki, one of the series' protagonists. His quirk, Acid Sweat, allows him to secrete an acidic sweat from his hands similar to nitric acid, which, though not very strong, can be used to melt things or to create small explosions if he rubs his hands together quickly.

Due to his pretty good quirk, in his youth, Masaru tried to become a pro hero, but eventually gave up on that, taking a work at the fashion industry instead, where he met his now wife, Mitsuki, who "rather aggressively hit on him" (whatever that means) and eventually got him to agree to go on a date with her, giving start to their relationship. He now seems to have a pretty good relationship with his wife and son, being the only levelheaded person in the household, tho he is still shown not really knowing how to intervene when his family starts bickering, leading him to panic, which is a very endearing character trait.

He only really appears once in the actual story, at the end of the Hideout Raid arc, where he, his wife and his son receive All Might and Eraser Head at their house, as the U.A. teachers have been sent to see if the family is willing to agree with moving the students to dormitories in the school as a safety measure after the recent incidents, and especially to see if the family is willing to keep their son enrolled at the school after his recent kidnapping, which, to the teachers' surprise, Mitsuki replies by telling them not to worry and that she is sorry her son gave them so much trouble, which in turn annoys Bakugo and causes the two to start fighting, prompting Masaru to try to interject to tell them to calm down and not fight in front of their guests, but he cannot be heard over their loud bickering.

I really like Masaru, he is a really endearing character, and it's honestly kind of a shame we don't have more scenes of the full Bakugo family interacting, or even a scene of Masaru being alone with his son. I feel like his backstory of once trying to make it as a pro hero and how capable his son has proven to be on that field could lead to some really great dialogue. Really hope we get to see more of him.

Build-wise, I'd just note that I pumped up his PL slightly considering the fact that he probably had some training back in the day, trying to become a pro hero, which also gave him some decent Stamina, considering that he looks pretty fit. His quirk also seems to be pretty decent, if he'd gone forward with his dream, he could probably be similar to Mina nowadays.

Outfits: Masaru wears very stereotypical "dad clothing," like a green dress shirt, rectangular glasses, a pair of khakis and a pair of loafers.