Jab's Dinosaur Builds!: Plateosaurus! Europasaurus!

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
catsi563

Re: Jab's Animal Builds (Thresher & Mako Shark! Great White Shark!)

Post by catsi563 »

the Great White such an iconic animal the descendant of the Meg

still remember watching the report they had when some fishermen caught one leaping out of the ocean, they were terrifying as it was but then i saw that and went "THEY CAN FLY!??"

add that too a prior documentary where they were testing shark bites by using a dummy with a chainmail suit on, they got a white in the first hour that savaged the dummy

when they reeled it in the chain armor was mangled pretty good but the doctor with them took one look at the dummy and said essentially yeah hes toast if a hospital wasnt immediately available
Dr. Silverback has wryly observed that this is like trying to teach lolcats about Shakespeare

Showdown at the Litterbox

Catsi stories
Ken

Post by Ken »

I'm reminded of this Peter Benchley book I read when I was probably still too young for the story it contained.
My Amazing Woman: a super-hero romantic comedy podcast.

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Davies wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 3:41 am And there, at last, is Bruce.

When I was about ten years old, my family went on a winter vacation to Florida, and naturally we took in SeaWorld. (Well, naturally for then, these days I wouldn't go there if you paid me.) At that time, they had a preserved Great White on display. Somehow, I went off on my own to take a look at it ...

It was dead. There was probably a ton or so of plexiglass between me and it. And I was still scared of the thing.
And if you invented such a thing, people would figure you're going over the top, lol. Look at the damn thing with its mouth open. Who would invent THOSE teeth combined with THOSE insides?
Jabroniville

Megalodon

Post by Jabroniville »

MEGALODON (Carcharodon megalodon)
Role:
Ultimate Nightmare Fuel, Apex Extinct Oceanic Predator
PL 11 (137)- Minion Rank 10, Sidekick Rank 33
Normal Version:
PL 10
STRENGTH 11 STAMINA 11 AGILITY 2
FIGHTING 5 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE -4 AWARENESS 0 PRESENCE -3

Skills:
Close Combat (Bite) 3 (+8)
Expertise (Survival) 6 (+6)
Intimidation 15 (+12, +16 Size)
Perception 8 (+8)
Stealth 10 (+12, +3 Size)

Advantages:
All-Out Attack, Diehard, Extraordinary Effort, Fast Grab, Improved Critical (Bite) 4, Improved Hold, Power Attack, Startle, Withstand Damage

Powers:
"Animal Senses" Senses 6 (Extended 2 & Acute Scent, Tracking-Scent, Low-Light & Extended Vision) [6]
"Lateral Lines" Senses 1 (Ranged Touch) [1]
"Electrolocation" Senses 5 (Detect Electrical Signals- Acute, Accurate & Ranged) [5]

"Sea Creature"
Swimming 3 (16 mph) [3]
Immunity 1 (Drowning) [1]

"Natural Size" Growth 9 (Str & Sta +9, +9 Mass, +4 Intimidation, -4 Dodge/Parry, +1 Speed, -9 Stealth) -- (36 feet) (Feats: Innate) (Extras: Permanent +0) [19]
"Super-Body Ram" Damage 11 (Extras: Area- 30ft. Burst) [22]
"Shark Scales" Protection 2 (Extras: Impervious 9) [11]
"Shark's Bite" Strength-Damage +3 (Extras: Penetrating 8) [11]

Offense:
Unarmed +4 (+8 Damage, DC 23)
Shark Bite +8 (+14 Damage, DC 29)
Initiative +6

Defenses:
Dodge +3 (DC 13), Parry +5 (DC 15), Toughness +13, Fortitude +14, Will +6

Complications:
Disabled (Animal)- Sharks cannot speak to humans, nor use their fins to easily manipulate objects.
Disabled- Sharks require water to survive, and will die quickly if left out of it. Also, they MUST be able to continue swimming to be able to breathe- if trapped by anything, they will slowly drown.

Total: Abilities: 8 / Skills: 42--21 / Advantages: 12 / Powers: 78 / Defenses: 18 (137)

Era: Oligocene & Pleistocene
Range: All over the Earth
Colouring: Grey on top, white on bottom (presumably)
Size: Up to 53 feet long (weight unknown)
Encounter Groups: Solitary
Diet: Anything edible.
Tactics: Chase or surprise attack and bite savagely, then retreat, waiting for a bleed-out.

-And here's the king of Nightmare Fuel right here, a 53-foot giant shark, capable of killing a Sperm Whale by itself. It's bite is out of this world (8 ranks of Penetrating on top of +15 damage), it's tough, it's scary, and it's pretty much the ultimate sea monster to throw at a party. Megalodon is getting more and more well-known (it helps that it has a pronounceable name), and there's still that hilarious situation that happened when the National Geographic Channel (which is ideally-focused around SCIENCE and FACT) aired a "Documentary" about a real-life Megalodon attack in international waters. Naturally, being a fully-aquatic fish, it's impossible to PROVE prove that the thing is really extinct, so it's theoretically possible, despite being incredibly-unlikely. Though there's a good YouTube video that states matter-of-factly that it is DEFINITELY extinct: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BTPcq2HczVY.

-This raised the ire of numerous really stupid people, who were fooled into thinking the "Documentary" was real (a tiny disclaimer ran at the very end, explaining that it was a dramatization). The thing is... this couldn't have possibly fooled anyone of remote intelligence. First off, if there was an ACTUAL MEGALODON ATTACK on Earth, then you would obviously HAVE HEARD ABOUT IT IN THE NEWS, not via some Documentary. Second, the people in the "Documentary" were clearly actors, using stilted dialogue and speaking in ways that only low-end actors speak (it's not like you'd hire Shakespearean greats for this kind of thing), so anyone familiar with how people speak shouldn't have been fooled. It's just... very, very dumb, and silly for people to decry and insult the network for trying to "fool" people.
Jabroniville

Re: Jab's Animal Builds (Mako Shark! Great White Shark! Megalodon!)

Post by Jabroniville »

And we end the sharks with the current supposed anatomy of Helicoprion, whose weird "whorl teeth" have confused scientists for years. They still aren't quite sure how it worked, or even what its skeleton looked like. It's kind of a distant shark relative.

Jabroniville

Re: Jab's Animal Builds (Tiger Shark! Hammerheads! Goblin Shark!)

Post by Jabroniville »

Goldar wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 11:47 pm Goblins are very scary-looking indeed!
Oh, I missed this comment!

Yeah, they have interested me ever since I first saw them in a ZooBooks issue years ago. One of the weirdest-looking creatures ever.
Jabroniville

Molluscs

Post by Jabroniville »

MOLLUSCS:
-Here's another extremely varied and weird group of animals- the Mollusks! In fact, they're possibly THE most-varied grouping of animals ever! Multi-limbed Octopi, Clams & other Bivalves, Snails & Slugs, stuff that just looks like plants... it's all pretty messed-up. Of course, for statting purposes, all I really need to see are the Octopi & the Squid- their Class (Cephalopoda) are the largest, fastest and most intelligent of all invertebrates, capable of tremendous feats of strategy, learning (the Cuttlefish is believed to be one of the more intelligent animals out there in the world), and they've got dozens of little abilities, many of which are just being learned by science. For one, the Cuttlefish, quite small and looking like short-limbed Octopi, have THE greatest camouflage in history- they're basically the equivalent of what people often think CHAMELEONS can do (ie. morph completely into the surroundings), so much so that their apperance can be REALLY surprising.

Some of the world's most diverse invertebrates, Molluscs contain the Slugs & Snails, Bivalves (clams) and Cephalopods- the famous Octopus & Squid families. This means they're some of the most mindless invertebrates and some of the smartest, as well as the largest of all invertebrates. They have their boneless bodies in common- they are incredibly elastic and mobile.
Jabroniville

Slugs & Snails

Post by Jabroniville »

Snail, Snail anatomy, Slug, Blue Sea Dragon, "collapsed" Sea Dragon, Nudibranch, Sacoglossa, Sea Slug, Sea Angel, Sea Hare, Abalone, Conch Shell, Limpets.

SLUGS & SNAILS (Gastropods):
-Gastropods are an absolutely massive class of Molluscs, containing the Slugs & Snails. These are so numerous they make up over 80% of all molluscs, and have 65,00-80,000 different species. They are easily differentiated- slugs have no shells, while snails grow large protective coverings over their backs. Gastropods can inhabit nearly any habitat- some are aquatic and others live on mountains. Some aquatic gastropods include Abalone, Conches, Periwinkles, Limpets, Whelks & Sea Snails.

They are named "Stomach Foot" and have a generally strange anatomy- Snails are coiled internally so the anus is actually located above the head! Slugs are so off-putting and slow-moving that their name has become a variety of insults- "sluggish" means slow in a very negative light, for example. The wildly colorful Sea Slugs are often little-known and thus very eye-popping when people realize things like the Blue Sea Dragon exist.

Most of these are so small they have no real stats at all, and are impossible to really equate. Low Toughness, Intelligence, Awareness- the works. Some are INCREDIBLY poisonous, though, and the Sea Dragons have a nausea-incuding venom. Sea Hares can "ink".
Sidious

Re: Megalodon

Post by Sidious »

Jabroniville wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 6:33 am -And here's the king of Nightmare Fuel right here, a 53-foot giant shark, capable of killing a Sperm Whale by itself. It's bite is out of this world (8 ranks of Penetrating on top of +15 damage), it's tough, it's scary, and it's pretty much the ultimate sea monster to throw at a party. Megalodon is getting more and more well-known (it helps that it has a pronounceable name), and there's still that hilarious situation that happened when the National Geographic Channel (which is ideally-focused around SCIENCE and FACT) aired a "Documentary" about a real-life Megalodon attack in international waters. Naturally, being a fully-aquatic fish, it's impossible to PROVE prove that the thing is really extinct, so it's theoretically possible, despite being incredibly-unlikely. Though there's a good YouTube video that states matter-of-factly that it is DEFINITELY extinct: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BTPcq2HczVY.

-This raised the ire of numerous really stupid people, who were fooled into thinking the "Documentary" was real (a tiny disclaimer ran at the very end, explaining that it was a dramatization). The thing is... this couldn't have possibly fooled anyone of remote intelligence. First off, if there was an ACTUAL MEGALODON ATTACK on Earth, then you would obviously HAVE HEARD ABOUT IT IN THE NEWS, not via some Documentary. Second, the people in the "Documentary" were clearly actors, using stilted dialogue and speaking in ways that only low-end actors speak (it's not like you'd hire Shakespearean greats for this kind of thing), so anyone familiar with how people speak shouldn't have been fooled. It's just... very, very dumb, and silly for people to decry and insult the network for trying to "fool" people.
I love those mocumentaries.
Things like Mermaids (1&2!), Dark Survivors (werewolves), Russian Yeti: The Killer lives (Dyatlov Pass stuff), Cannibal in the Jungle (Killer Hobbites) hilarious and good for more than a few RP ideas.
Somehow I find that people take these things seriously all the more hilarious.
Thorpocalypse

Re: Jab's Animal Builds (Mako Shark! Great White Shark! Megalodon!)

Post by Thorpocalypse »

Jabroniville wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 9:26 pm And we end the sharks with the current supposed anatomy of Helicoprion, whose weird "whorl teeth" have confused scientists for years.
End?!?!?!?!

I don't think so, sir. I have not seen a Sharknado build... :evil:
Me fail English? That's unpossible. - Ralph Wiggum
Jabroniville

Aplacophora

Post by Jabroniville »

APLACOPHORA:
-An unusual type of mollusc that more resembles a worm- large numbers of these shell-less creatures live, typically burrowing into the substrate (ocean floor).
Jabroniville

Chitons

Post by Jabroniville »

CHITONS:
-Strange Trilobite-like shelled molluscs with eight pieces to their shells. They stick to surfaces like slugs & snails, and have mouths at the bottom.
Jabroniville

Monoplacophora

Post by Jabroniville »

MONOPLACOPHORA:
-Little-understood creatures found only in the fossil record until 1952. They are like Chitons, but have a single "girdle" instead of eight. The familial links are so poorly understood that the name of the group is given to any non-gastropod mollusc with a single shell.
Jabroniville

Tusk Shells

Post by Jabroniville »

TUSK SHELLS:
-Strange, tusk-shaped molluscs with curved bodies, a "foot" located near the wider opening and other stuff at the smaller. They live in offshore substrate and are very small.
Jabroniville

Bivalves

Post by Jabroniville »

Bivalves, Giant Clam.

BIVALVES:
-Bivalves are best known for the clams, and are a type of mollusc enclosed by a pair of hinged shells. They include the clams, oysters, cockles (hee), mussels, scallops and others, and are mostly immobil filter feeders that sit on the ocean floor. Oysters are famous for producing natural pearls, constructed over years. The Giant Clam can weigh over 440 lbs. and is huge in size, but most are less than 4 inches across. Bivalves first appear in the fossil record from more than 500 million years ago, and currently exist in about 9,200 species.