Crossovers that you'd love to see and/or would be cool

If you can't find a forum for it, talk about it here.
Ares
Site Admin

Crossovers that you'd love to see and/or would be cool

Post by Ares »

Inspired by a similar topic on RPG.net, I figured I'd ask the good folks at Echoes what kind of crossovers they'd like to see.

As a lot of you know, I'm a huge crossover junkie, and I've been fortunate that recent years have seen some pretty fun ones.

Future Quest combined all the Hanna-Barbera heroes together into one setting.

He-Man and ThunderCats had a fun crossover, which was followed up by He-Man facing the Injustice setting.

The Ghostbusters have had crossovers with the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, the Transformers, and even The Real Ghostbusters versions of themselves.

The Ninja Turtles have had some pretty epic crossovers with Batman which actually got an animated feature.

Hasbro tried their hand at doing a shared universe with Transformers, G.I. Joe, MASK, the Visionaries, Action Man, ROM Space Knight and Micronauts.

The Power Rangers recently had a crossover with the Justice League, and are getting ready to have a new crossover with the Ninja Turtles.

Project Superpower has done multiple crossovers with a lot of classic Golden Age heroes.

Pathfinder did this fun crossover with John Carter of Mars, Red Sonja and Tarzan.

There's been a lot of Pulp crossovers with Doc Savage, the Shadow, the Avenger, the Green Hornet and Kato, the Spider, etc.

And then you get video games like Kingdom Hearts, which continues to fun Disney/Final Fantasy crossovers.

Or Jump Force, where a lot of Shonen heroes from franchises like Dragon Ball, Naruto, Fist of the North Star, JoJo's Bizarre Adventure, Rurouni Kenshin, One Piece, My Hero Academia, Saint Seya, YuYu Hakusho, etc.

Or Disney Infinity that let you play as characters from Disney, Pixar, Marvel and Star Wars.

Or Lego Dimensions that let you play as characters from the Lego Universe, DC Universe, Lord of the Rings, Harry Potter, Dr. Who, Wizard of Oz, Ghostbusters, Back to the Future, Knight Rider, A-Team, Portal, etc.

Or Smash Bros, which now has Mario, Sonic, Mega Man, Link, Samus, Simon Belmont, Kirby, Ryu, Ken, Terry Bogard and still more iconic heroes all fighting together.

Or mobile games like Puzzles and Dragons which features characters from the DC Universe, Dragon Ball, Full Metal Alchemist and Voltron.

Or Monster Strike that similarly has Yuyu Hakusho, Sailor Moon, My Hero Academia, Full Metal Alchemist, Disney, Final Fantasy, etc.

And of course there's older crossovers like the Super Robot Wars games, Marvel vs DC, JLAvengers, the Kamen Rider/Super Sentai/Space Sheriff crossover films, whatever franchise Capcom is teaming up with, etc.

Basically, there are a LOT of crossovers out there already, but the sad thing is that these are just the tips of the ice berg with what COULD happen. Maybe it's time for Star Wars and Star Trek to finally meet, only make it the classic versions of each so as to get the fans back on board. Maybe we could have the MCU take on the Kamen Rider setting. Maybe you want a crossover between the Frozen franchise and the Tinkerbell franchise. Maybe it's time to see Godzilla and Ultraman finally take each other on. Maybe we're finally due for a Superman vs Goku match up.

So whatever crossover you'd like to see, be it two characters or multiple franchises, feel free to share them here.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
Ares
Site Admin

Re: Crossovers that you'd love to see and/or would be cool

Post by Ares »

I'll get around to listing some of my own soon, but another official one coming out soon is that D&D is continuing to incorporate Magic the Gathering into their setting: https://www.enworld.org/threads/mythic- ... ed.670670/
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

RUSCHE wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 2:30 pm Has there ever been a Conan and Doc Savage crossover? Doc surely woud not approve on Conan's conflict resolution techniques.
To my knowledge, Doc Savage and Conan have never had a crossover. It makes sense, since a lot of Howard's stuff has fallen into public domain, while there's a group set up to maintain the rights to the Doc Savage franchise.

Still, the two are definitely interesting in how similar yet different they are. Physically, they're both cut from the same cloth: tall, handsome, powerfully built, inhumanly strong and fast, exceptional senses, masters of combat, etc. In literally every other way, they're complete opposites, including how they came by those abilities. Conan developed his abilities through a lifetime of living a barbarian lifestyle, battling the wilderness for his very survival and surviving constantly by the power of his limbs and the strength of his sword arm. Doc Savage was raised by the most advanced scientific minds of the world, trained in all manner of skills from the masters of the arts until he was a scientific superman. He survives as much by his scientific knowledge and intellect as his physical might.

In short, Conan is the embodiment of the Barbarian lifestyle Howard admired, while Doc is the pinnacle of what civilized man could achieve.

There were other differences as well. Conan was a casual killer, having no moral issue with putting his sword through the head of someone who insulted him. Doc was someone who viewed human life as sacred, and would only condone killing as a last resort, or as a wartime necessity. Conan had an easy way with women, frequently causing them to throw themselves at him after knowing him only a short time. Doc considered women to mostly be a mystery, and had little luck when it came to romance.

If the two were to ever crossover, their incompatible views would require a truly balanced master to make work without showing one side as superior to the other. A fan of the Howard Conan would have Doc be a physical match for Conan, and his scientific skills would be useful, but Doc's civilized upbringing and reverence for life would be seen as 'soft', and Conan would ultimately be shown to be more in the right. A fan of Doc Savage would have Conan be a terror of the battlefield, but Doc would find the man a constant source of trouble, a cautionary warning of the depths that barbarism could drive a person to, and Doc would ultimately show science and modern society to be superior.

You'd need someone who could show that both men are best suited for their times. However much Doc might want to make the Hyborian Age into one of peace and science, it would be beyond his ability to do so. It's a harsh, ugly place that needs a barbarian like Conan to tame it, so that men of science have a chance to build something better. Likewise, Conan would have to admit that for as 'soft' as civilization might be, the world of Doc Savage is one of tremendous progress, it is more peaceful than his own time, and there is more opportunity for fun and relaxation. There is less sickness, less hunger, and humanity has achieved wonders. Doc and Conan are, simply put, the best men to lead their respective times.

In a fight, I'd say that in pure unarmed combat, it'd be VERY close, with Doc maybe having a slight advantage. Hand-to-hand fighting is his preferred method of combat, and he knows things about fighting Conan doesn't. Doc has also performed feats of strength that possibly surpass that of Conan, and has done better in combat against creatures like apes than Conan.

If both have melee weapons, then Conan would have a more pronounced advantage, given his skill and regular use with such weapons. Doc would give a good account of himself, but he's not the bladesman Conan is.

If both have their standard gear, then Doc wins handily. He's just got way too much in the way of gear to lose.

Overall, who is more useful depends on their setting. Conan is superior at jungle survival, tracking and the like, while Doc is basically the body of Captain America with a Reed Richards/Bruce Wayne like brain, a master of many sciences and combat. I'd say Doc is generally more handy to have around, but Conan shouldn't be underestimated.

RUSCHE

Post by RUSCHE »

Ares wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 2:27 am
RUSCHE wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 2:30 pm Has there ever been a Conan and Doc Savage crossover? Doc surely woud not approve on Conan's conflict resolution techniques.
To my knowledge, Doc Savage and Conan have never had a crossover. It makes sense, since a lot of Howard's stuff has fallen into public domain, while there's a group set up to maintain the rights to the Doc Savage franchise.

Still, the two are definitely interesting in how similar yet different they are. Physically, they're both cut from the same cloth: tall, handsome, powerfully built, inhumanly strong and fast, exceptional senses, masters of combat, etc. In literally every other way, they're complete opposites, including how they came by those abilities. Conan developed his abilities through a lifetime of living a barbarian lifestyle, battling the wilderness for his very survival and surviving constantly by the power of his limbs and the strength of his sword arm. Doc Savage was raised by the most advanced scientific minds of the world, trained in all manner of skills from the masters of the arts until he was a scientific superman. He survives as much by his scientific knowledge and intellect as his physical might.

In short, Conan is the embodiment of the Barbarian lifestyle Howard admired, while Doc is the pinnacle of what civilized man could achieve.

There were other differences as well. Conan was a casual killer, having no moral issue with putting his sword through the head of someone who insulted him. Doc was someone who viewed human life as sacred, and would only condone killing as a last resort, or as a wartime necessity. Conan had an easy way with women, frequently causing them to throw themselves at him after knowing him only a short time. Doc considered women to mostly be a mystery, and had little luck when it came to romance.

If the two were to ever crossover, their incompatible views would require a truly balanced master to make work without showing one side as superior to the other. A fan of the Howard Conan would have Doc be a physical match for Conan, and his scientific skills would be useful, but Doc's civilized upbringing and reverence for life would be seen as 'soft', and Conan would ultimately be shown to be more in the right. A fan of Doc Savage would have Conan be a terror of the battlefield, but Doc would find the man a constant source of trouble, a cautionary warning of the depths that barbarism could drive a person to, and Doc would ultimately show science and modern society to be superior.

You'd need someone who could show that both men are best suited for their times. However much Doc might want to make the Hyborian Age into one of peace and science, it would be beyond his ability to do so. It's a harsh, ugly place that needs a barbarian like Conan to tame it, so that men of science have a chance to build something better. Likewise, Conan would have to admit that for as 'soft' as civilization might be, the world of Doc Savage is one of tremendous progress, it is more peaceful than his own time, and there is more opportunity for fun and relaxation. There is less sickness, less hunger, and humanity has achieved wonders. Doc and Conan are, simply put, the best men to lead their respective times.

In a fight, I'd say that in pure unarmed combat, it'd be VERY close, with Doc maybe having a slight advantage. Hand-to-hand fighting is his preferred method of combat, and he knows things about fighting Conan doesn't. Doc has also performed feats of strength that possibly surpass that of Conan, and has done better in combat against creatures like apes than Conan.

If both have melee weapons, then Conan would have a more pronounced advantage, given his skill and regular use with such weapons. Doc would give a good account of himself, but he's not the bladesman Conan is.

If both have their standard gear, then Doc wins handily. He's just got way too much in the way of gear to lose.

Overall, who is more useful depends on their setting. Conan is superior at jungle survival, tracking and the like, while Doc is basically the body of Captain America with a Reed Richards/Bruce Wayne like brain, a master of many sciences and combat. I'd say Doc is generally more handy to have around, but Conan shouldn't be underestimated.
It would take someone with excellent understanding of both Characters and a love for Fantasy and Pulp heroes, like you stayed so well yhere are similar in physicality but Ethics, Morals...miles apart.
NoOneofConsequence

Post by NoOneofConsequence »

Has there ever been a Shadow / Green Hornet crossover?

Also, the was a Shadow / Twilight Zone comic from a while back that was pretty good.
What is tolerance? It is the consequence of humanity. We are all formed of frailty and error; let us pardon reciprocally each other's folly. That is the first law of nature.
Voltaire, "Tolerance" (1764)
Davies

Post by Davies »

NoOneofConsequence wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 12:04 pm Has there ever been a Shadow / Green Hornet crossover?
Not officially, but someone who is clearly the Shadow shows up in Now Comics The Sting of the Green Hornet series, set during World War II and featuring a number of Golden Age/Pulp character cameos.
"I'm sorry. I love you. I'm not sorry I love you."
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

NoOneofConsequence wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 12:04 pm Has there ever been a Shadow / Green Hornet crossover?

Also, the was a Shadow / Twilight Zone comic from a while back that was pretty good.
Davies wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 12:57 pm
Not officially, but someone who is clearly the Shadow shows up in Now Comics The Sting of the Green Hornet series, set during World War II and featuring a number of Golden Age/Pulp character cameos.
Dynamite Comics actually put out three books where the Shadow and Green Hornet & Kato crossed paths.

There was an official book called Dark Nights.

And there was a more general pulp hero crossover called Masks and its sequel series Mask 2.

NoOneofConsequence

I remember seeing the solicitation for Masks way back when. Were any of those any good?
What is tolerance? It is the consequence of humanity. We are all formed of frailty and error; let us pardon reciprocally each other's folly. That is the first law of nature.
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

NoOneofConsequence wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 10:21 pm I remember seeing the solicitation for Masks way back when. Were any of those any good?
The first mini-series was very pretty entertaining. The second one was kind of a mess.

NoOneofConsequence

I've decided that this world is in pressing need of a Transformers/Masters of the Universe crossover.
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

I concur.

Davies

Post by Davies »

Closest thing to it is the Transformers/Visionaries crossover, which was kind of a mess.
"I'm sorry. I love you. I'm not sorry I love you."
NoOneofConsequence

You know, I've always been a little disappointed that there was never a Marvel Comics/Transformers crossover that was meant to be a direct follow up to issue 3 of the original Transformers comic, based on the idea that those early years took place in the Marvel Universe the same way Rom the Space Knight did.

Also, What If KISS became The Fantastic Four?
Ken

Post by Ken »

In my head canon, DC's Gorilla City is in Bangalla, home of a certain Mr. Walker*. In a King Features/DC crossover, I'd like to see that established, along with the reveal that Ray Palmer and Diana Palmer-Walker are cousins, having the same Uncle David.

* - For the Ghost who Walks
My Amazing Woman: a super-hero romantic comedy podcast.

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.
Ken

Post by Ken »

In a similar vein, I have an idea in which it is revealed that the mother of Dan and John Reid was actually a daughter of the Walker* clan. She emigrated to the U.S. from Bangalla, since, as a woman, she wasn't going to be going into the family business.

Of course, as Texas Rangers, Dan ends up dead, and John believed to be dead (though actually wounded and recovered). And for some reason thinks wearing an eye mask is a good idea while fighting outlaws.

* - For the Ghost who Walks
My Amazing Woman: a super-hero romantic comedy podcast.

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.