The Merge: Agents and Powers Chapter 2: Agents Abroad

For all of your Play-By-Post games.
jmucchiello

Re: The Merge: Agents and Powers Chapter 2: Agents Abroad

Post by jmucchiello »

Unless the specific objects were classified as WMDs, I doubt there would blanket laws for "things with a certain aura" are illegal.
kirinke

Post by kirinke »

ooc
Like anything, it'd depend on the locality and what the object does I think. Places like the US would grapple with it, due to freedom of religion. In general the "unholy" object would permeate and stain places, making it eventually unhealthy to live near. So in a "real" sense they would be in some cases counted as WMDs or biohazards at the very least. I mean, look at how movies treat places that are "haunted" by demons and such or have had "dark" rituals attached to them. In the Merge 'verse, it'd be a very real problem.

I know, confusing. But the gist is. Unholy objects would be like grenades or potential biohazards if improperly handled and that's on the lower end of the scale of things. Since Amy was an adventurer before becoming a mercenary, she'd know how dangerous such objects can be. So her general caution is warranted. However, I don't think she'd know the local laws concerning them, beyond say: bad idea, stay well away from it and alert the local cops about it if possible.

Not to mention, anything that would make a New God like Lilly sick to their stomach is probably very, very, very bad for everyone's eventual health. Dread Apokalips ain't just a euphemism after all. If you can survive that, it'd take something significantly unholy to make you want to loose your lunch.
Kirinke's Compendium of Wondrous Creatures
Kirinke's Conversions (D&D Items to M&M3E Rules)

Battle Init
Viv: 24
Ren:22
Peekaboo: 20
Deutschritter: 19
Amy: 15
Angrboda: 15
Adeleth: 14
Thugs: 12
Lilly: 7
Alma: 5
Neo-Paladin

Post by Neo-Paladin »

Okay, the current legal situation in Germany is this: In order to own and store spiritually dangerous objects you need a permit that is very hard to get (LOG, " Lizenz für Okkultes Gefahrgut"). You also must agree to irregular unscheduled visits from officials who check whether the object is still safely stored, whether the wards are active or need to be replaced etc.
Under any other circumstance, possession of a spiritually dangerous object is treated akin to unlawful possession of explosives or toxins - meaning, it can get you into a whole lot of trouble with the law.
jmucchiello

Post by jmucchiello »

What if you don't know the object is magic? Or occult in this case? Not all dangerous object look dangerous to the untrained eye.
Tony Jones

Post by Tony Jones »

Probably depends what happens. If you unwittingly get the thing, but are stopped before anything bad happens, you might be punished but not too much, "careless tampering with mystic forces" or something. On the other hand if you let it in willingly or let things get to point of bad things happening then the punishment might be a lot more severe.
pathfinderq1

Post by pathfinderq1 »

Viv DeLaCourte (Harbinger)

Viv gave the others a quick recap on the relevant laws. "We have to assume that this guy is aware of the regulations, given his background- and he knows who WE are, and what we do. The only question is whether he knows how dangerous this thing is, or whether he has been compromised. For now, same strategy as with laptop guy. Everyone set a perimeter- don't be obvious. I'll approach and identify myself, announce an agency oversight visit. If he complies, we assume he doesn't know, and we run with routine inspection- and probably a seizure, given the leakage Lilly detected. If he tries to bolt, or attacks, we assume he is compromised, and this becomes an arrest-and-seizure. End goal is to make sure we reel in the item either way- given that aura, I don't think we can safely leave it out in the world. Now, while we wait, I'm going to notify the Ministry for official reporting..."

>OOC: and out comes the phone again. I imagine this is the kind of call the FBI makes to the ATF when they find illegal explosives during a search (and probably at least as dangerous)
kirinke

Post by kirinke »

Amy
"No problem. If it makes Lilly sick, it's extremely dangerous." she smiled at her friend. "We're not taking any chances with this thing or with him." she said in way of agreement.

Battle Init
Neo-Paladin

Post by Neo-Paladin »

So you set a perimeter and wait. Fortunately, his shopping does not take that much longer and after 15 minutes, he comes walking out, his tattoos making him very easy to identify...
Tony Jones

Post by Tony Jones »

Can Lilly sense any of the unpleasant Divine energy coming from him? That is, whether he's contaminated with it or not?
Neo-Paladin

Post by Neo-Paladin »

He does not seem to be, but he is...hard to perceive with superhuman senses. As if looking at him through a dirty glass.
To all ordinary senses, however, he is easy to see and hear.
Tony Jones

Post by Tony Jones »

"He does not appear to be tainted by the thing in his vehicle," Lilly tells the others. "But he is hard to perceive other than with normal senses... So he might be hiding something under that."
OOC wrote: Lilly shifts her Hearing to Counters All Concealment, Counters Illusion, and Penetrates Concealment in case that helps her perceive him better. And also brings up her perception of Spirits (Comprehend - 2 [Spirits]) in case that also helps.
kirinke

Post by kirinke »

Amy
"Those tats could be wards or some sort of mystical mis-directions." she shrugged. "Okay, we act as if he's compromised until we know differently Viv." she said, taking a calming breath and focusing, just as she was taught.

"Lemme see if I can sense anything. I haven't yet, which is disturbing in of itself..." she shivered. "It should be making me sick, given how bad it's affecting Lilly. Since it's not... It's actively shielding itself or something and that's scary..."

ooc
Force Sensitivity: Accurate Mental [Force] Sense, Danger Sense, Force Awareness, Ranged Detect Alignment (Darkside/Lightside), Detect Force disturbance, ranged 2.
Tongues: Comprehend languages all, Animals All, Spirits (communicate, linked detect spirits 2)
https://www.coyotecode.net/roll/lookup. ... lid=275842 perception 13

Yeah, the force is not with her on this scene apparently. :lol: Or at least it's taking mercy on her stomach. I'm not sure which.... :shock:
Last edited by kirinke on Wed Feb 01, 2023 12:19 am, edited 2 times in total.

Battle Init
jmucchiello

Post by jmucchiello »

"So I should be loading my holy rounds?" Adeleth says, as she does so anyway. She is in the backseat of a car, preferably a van, two cars down from the target car peeking from the bottom of the windows.

Stealth: 1D20+15 = [5]+15 = 20
kirinke

Post by kirinke »

Amy

"It wouldn't hurt." Amy said brightly. "Or rather, it might help. Wrong choice of words I think." she chuckled at her own bad attempt at humor.

ooc
Ack. I accidently hit the wrong thing. Blast... I'll have to re-create that post best I can. Sigh.

Battle Init
pathfinderq1

Post by pathfinderq1 »

Viv DeLaCourte (Harbinger)

Whatever she HAD been wearing when they were wandering about town, by the time their target came out of the grocery store Viv was dressed in upscale business-wear. It was a bit too nice to be the usual off-the-rack government clothing, but it was more formal, more severe, than most of the people in town. As soon as Meintz came out, Viv moved towards him- approaching from the front without any attempt at subterfuge, her hands in plain sight (with her Ministry ID case, currently closed). She did not want to surprise him, or to make him feel threatened- at least not right off.

She was, as usual, smiling in a very appealing fashion, and her voice was clear and friendly. "Good morning (or afternoon?), Herr Meintz. I'm Agent DeLaCourte with the Ministry (*flash of badge/ID*). Could I speak with you for a moment?"

>OOC: In case it is relevant, Viv has Awareness (mental) and Awareness (Magic), Perception is +14, with Skill mastery (for a routine 24), Insight is +16, with Skill Mastery (for a routine 26); she will be using active Insight to "Detect Influence" (normal Dc is 10 +effect rank)
-If relevant for a "first impression", Viv currently has Attractive 2 (exotic) and Persuasion +16, with Skill Mastery (for a routine 26)