The Merge: Agents and Powers Chapter 2: Agents Abroad

For all of your Play-By-Post games.
jmucchiello

Re: The Merge: Agents and Powers Chapter 2: Agents Abroad

Post by jmucchiello »

"Lilly, keep an eye on Herr Meinz and move him away from the car." Adeleth herself moves in another direction away from the car, insubstantially. When she hears back from the agency she puts in the request for backup exactly as Amy says.
Neo-Paladin

Post by Neo-Paladin »

//Guys, NOTHING has happened to Viv! She has just been silent but is not affected by anything. Kirinke, edit your post.
Neo-Paladin

Post by Neo-Paladin »

Somewhat disgruntled, he nonetheless is forthcoming with the requested name and address.

Adeleth quickly gets a response:
" We have ownership permits for the following volumes:
Black Bible, 1874 (non-sentient)
Missives from the Stillborn Monarchs, date unknown (non-sentient)
De Vermis Mysteriis, 1912 abridged edition (non-sentient)
The Godskin Scriptures, date unknown (sentience unknown)
All of these volumes are classified as level 3 memetic hazards. Mr. Meintz is licensed to handle and peruse memetic hazards up to level 3"
jmucchiello

Post by jmucchiello »

Into her phone, Adeleth says, "I need some guidance here. Lilly and Amy are sensing great power from his vehicle. This is not in my wheelhouse. How many levels are there? What is the threat level of level 3 memetic hazards? If he is supposed to be rated to handle these hazards should my associates be able to sense them when they are supposedly locked down? They are recommending that the hazards be impounded. Herr Meinz obviously doesn't think that's necessary. Please advise or connect me with someone who can advise."

While on hold, again. "Herr Meinz, talk to us about The Godskin Scriptures." Adeleth says. "Could that be what my associates are sensing? According to your permits, it's sentience is unknown."
Neo-Paladin

Post by Neo-Paladin »

" Phew...", comes the answer from the phone, " well...the scale goes up to level 6, which would be the direct manifestation of an eldritch entity. For comparison in regards to books...the true Necronomicon sits at level 5. Level 3s...they can be dangerous if not warded, simply by being present, even more so when they are read without wards present.
As for sensing them...they do have an aura, apparently, but to make an educated guess, I'd need some way to quantify the sensory capabilities of your associates."

Meintz frowns. " The Godskin Scriptures are my newest acquisition. Some types of knowledge...are alive. And books they inhabit begin to...think, for lack of a better term. My other tomes are definitely non-sentient, but with these...no one has yet managed to confirm any sign of sentience, but the work does have some...quirks. It's from a rather...gruesome parallel reality."
kirinke

Post by kirinke »

Amy
"Lilly was able to sense them through heavy wards with angelic runes." Amy supplied. "Not only that, it made her physically ill and she's a New God straight from Apokolips. It takes alot to do that."

ooc
Would those books feel like a Sith Holocron to Amy? Her memories would have them in there and what level would they be?
Kirinke's Compendium of Wondrous Creatures
Kirinke's Conversions (D&D Items to M&M3E Rules)

Battle Init
Viv: 24
Ren:22
Peekaboo: 20
Deutschritter: 19
Amy: 15
Angrboda: 15
Adeleth: 14
Thugs: 12
Lilly: 7
Alma: 5
Neo-Paladin

Post by Neo-Paladin »

//I am not sure I understand the last part of the question...

" Again, I am sorry about that, but it does not necessarily mean the wards are weak but that your friend's senses are very strong. I have studied this stuff for years, ever since the Incursion, and I am still sane and physically unaltered. Does that account for nothing?"
kirinke

Post by kirinke »

Amy
"It does count for something, but.." Amy said softly. "I've got the memories of a sith sorceress in my head. One on the Dark Council itself. All of that tells me to trust Lilly's senses and not take chances with these things. The Godskins, we don't know if it has a brain or not and you yourself said those books are really nasty." she looked at the man sympathetically and calmly. "Such things have been known to entrap the over-confidant, the unwary and the arrogant." she shook her head.

ooc
Holocrons are basically semi-sentient to fully sentient "books" with a user-interface that has the personality of the person "writing" them at the time downloaded in them. They're part instruction manual, part memoir and at times part Horcrux depending on the maker/author. Sith Holocrons are notorious for being particularly evil and can be Necronomicon or above level evil depending on the Sith in question. If that makes sense? At least from what I've seen portrayed in the Star Wars expanded universe at least.
Last edited by kirinke on Fri Mar 03, 2023 12:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Battle Init
Neo-Paladin

Post by Neo-Paladin »

//It's not directly comparable to a holocron since it's not exactly a soul/soul-copy stored in them, but an utterly alien intelligence emerging from eldritch knowledge concentrated in an area. The "normal" Sith holocron would be level 2-3.

" Yes, they are. Which is why they must be studied in order to protect others against them. That's all I am doing. "
jmucchiello

Post by jmucchiello »

Adeleth

"After our current assignment, we should have your team test my teammates' sensory capabilities in a controlled environment," she says to the ministry expert on the phone. "That same test should be used to make my team aware of these threat levels since I doubt, at the moment, they could say whether or not what they are sensing is a level 2 or level 3 or level 4 threat. Are there any rules for transporting these hazards beyond the wardings? Should someone handling these things be leaving them in a car while they go shopping in an Aldis?"

To the group on the ground, "Herr Meinz, you are correct. You seem to be following the proper protocols with your studies. But, it isn't like any of us are psychiatry experts. Lilly, Amy, do you sense any memetic taint on Herr Meinz himself?"

"My only concern at the moment, now that we've evacuated the area, is we don't know that you aren't carrying items in your car that are above your permitted level. And before you protest, understand that you would protest if you truly are within compliance and you would protest if your weren't within compliance. So please don't do that. The problem I have is I don't want to verify that you are within compliance as that would mean looking at what you are carrying in your car. And I don't know that we can do that safely anywhere without more finger wigglers present.

"One more question, do you have all of your permitted relics with you in that car or are some of them located somewhere else? My main problem with all of this is that cars get stolen all the time. Even if all your wards are solid, what happens if some teenagers steal your car and start poking around in it. It seems like transport of these relics should not include popping into an Aldis for cookies."
Neo-Paladin

Post by Neo-Paladin »

Her contact responds, " It fully depends on the wardings. As stated, if there are level 3s in the car, two to three wards would render the impact on their environment negligible. So, yes, leaving them within a warded vehicle for a short time would be okay, if not the grandest idea ever."

" Finger wigglers?" Meintz scoffs. " I am no mage. In fact, all these wards on my body would make it extremely difficult for me to tap into unnatural energies. No magic for me. All the volumes I own are in the car. I wouldn't risk leaving them at home."
jmucchiello

Post by jmucchiello »

"I would think wards in a home could be setup stronger and longer lasting than wards in a car," Adeleth says. "But, admittedly, I don't know anything about this stuff. Still, what is you plan if your car is stolen or broken into?"
kirinke

Post by kirinke »

Amy
"I can only sense stuff related to the force, ghosts and alignment, that is whether or not it's dark or light. Most folks are naturally on the grey side of the spectrum to varying degrees, so to speak. I'm not as good as Lilly, but I can look." Amy said and did just that.

ooc
Force Sensitivity: Accurate Mental [Force] Sense, Danger Sense, Force Awareness, Ranged Detect Alignment (Darkside/Lightside), Detect Force disturbance, ranged 2.
https://www.coyotecode.net/roll/lookup. ... lid=276944 perception 14

Battle Init
Neo-Paladin

Post by Neo-Paladin »

Meintz is neither especially light nor dark, though the wards he has placed onto his body are, for the most part, definitely light-aligned.
There is a darkside aura around the trunk of his car, but it is rather faint, probably due to the wards.

" The car itself won't move for anyone but me. Standard Talisafe security. Also, the trunk cannot be opened by anyone but me either. And, finally, there is a tracker attached to the container in the trunk."

Talisafe is a rather new European security company offering magic-based home and vehicle security solutions.
Tony Jones

Post by Tony Jones »

"When you say you want to interview a couple of werewolves for a project you are working on," asks Lilly after a moment of thought, stepping a little further back. "Which werewolves are they? What are their names? And what is the project? Under the circumstances it might be a good idea to put them both of for a while..."