Adventures Assemble S3E3: The Great Brain Robbery!

For all of your Play-By-Post games.
kenseido

Re: Adventures Assemble S3E1: Enemies of the State!

Post by kenseido »

Spellbinder
HP: 8, Condition: Fatigued

Jason stands up in his tube and waits for Genie to free him.

He walks out and turns his mystical senses onto the dampening field he was previously in.

"Well, I would love to embarrass her at our 'public execution,' but I think we should do everything we can to eliminate her support systems, then regroup with the rest of your teammates and hit her with everything we can."
Looking at the field with Specto and Visus.
Gilliam

Post by Gilliam »

Nightbird
HP: 4 LP: 1
Condition: Normal

"If I heard correctly before, the navy is on its way so I agree, we do as much damage as possible to the sub and stop the sub and prisoners in Deep 6 from escaping. I can't imagine what that will do to Havoc's ego.

Or we leave and follow Havoc to GAS. Gelert and Amethyst are there and will need our help."
stavaros_the_arcane

Post by stavaros_the_arcane »

Ysariel wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 4:27 am Gelert
General Arms Systems - Underground STARS Assembly Plant

A concentrated, laserlike beam of red light shines from the General's hand, and in that baleful red glow, all power is as dust and ashes.

Or it would be, except that a fraction of a second before it hits, a reflective mirror of blue light forms in front of you. The beam bounces off it like a laser and goes shooting back over General Havoc's left shoulder, narrowly missing her. She actually looks surprised enough that she hesitates a moment. You get the distinct impression that the General being here is sticking her neck out dangerously far, and that she only came because she expected to be done with you by now.

"Audacious," she comments. "But ultimately futile. You can't deflect a fist that hits you with enough force to crush a -- EEEK!"

The General points at you threateningly, then notices, as she does, that her hands are covered with bright red pustules everywhere she touched Amethyst's armor, and screams.

"Gee, aren't you regretting wrecking my suit," Amethyst stands up and makes a show of dusting herself off. "Wouldn't it be a shame if it happened to be coated with something that does horrible, horrible things to villains who can't keep their hands to themselves?"

"YOU!" the General shrieks in rage. "WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?!"

"Taken away some of your ridiculous, cheaty power boost. Suffer, you shrink-wrapped super-shrew."
stavaros_the_arcane wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 4:18 pmGelert took a deep breath, and moved forward even as Richards took shelter behind him. which "Rex, Activate the STARS. All of them. Right Now. I'll hold her off."
"V ... Voice command," Rex says. "All STARS units activate and engage metahumans on sight excluding Champions. Now!" He gestures frantically at G.A.S. security standing behind Black Hat, who are still standing stupefied. "What do I pay you people for?! You heard the dog. SHOOT her!"

The security troops open fire with their shotguns and assault rifles, bullets deflecting harmlessly off General Havoc's catsuit. About the vastness of the assembly plant, STARS drones slowly come to life, optical units glowing red and servos whirring as they disengage from their maintenance harnesses. The General looks at you, then at the furious red lumps on her skin, then at the activating STARS units, and decides that discretion is the better part of valor as she flies back off to the elevator.

Gelert doesn't know if he can catch General Havoc judging by her flight speed, but darn if he isn't going to be snapping and barking at her heels every metaphorical step of the way! CHASE CHASE CHASE!

OOC: Gelert is also going to use his Tracking Smell to pick up the General's scent while chasing after her. So even if she can outrun him he's got her trail.
Last edited by stavaros_the_arcane on Mon Feb 14, 2022 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kenseido

Post by kenseido »

Aiden Starr

Jason nods as Genie speaks. "I think if we eliminate her support, she loses her ability to conquer anything. Even with all her power, she can't do it alone. If we fly off to help, then this ship can do a lot of damage to a lot of people while we are away."

"But it's your team, so it's your call."
Gilliam

Post by Gilliam »

Nightbird

kenseido wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 5:55 pm Aiden Starr

Jason nods as Genie speaks. "I think if we eliminate her support, she loses her ability to conquer anything. Even with all her power, she can't do it alone. If we fly off to help, then this ship can do a lot of damage to a lot of people while we are away."

"But it's your team, so it's your call."

"Your team" that was something Imogen never expected to hear anyone say to her

"Aranel, what do you think?"
Ysariel

Post by Ysariel »

Nightbird
Aboard the Ragnarok - Ship's brig
Nightbirdpost_id=154493 wrote:Sat Feb 12, 2022 8:39 amChecking the guard whose face had drained of any colour and was now involuntary shaking, Imogen restrained both guards quickly searching them for any keys or similar before grabbing the remaining taser and blasting Moonlights cell.
Investigate - 13 ranks

You quickly search the guards. While their standard equipment is not of particular interest to you, you additionally discover the following items, of which you can take whatever you like:

1 R.I.O.T. Squad Weapon (Ranged damage 10) with ONE of the following options:
  • Area (any shape you choose)
  • Secondary Effect
  • Improved Critical, Subtle, Insidious
  • Improved Critical, Indirect, Homing
  • Trigger
  • Alternate Resistance: Fort
1 Haywire Grenade - Ranged damage 10 and switches target's arrays to a random slot for their next turn if they fail the toughness check by 2 or more degrees

1 military radio

1 Keycard

2x R.I.O.T. Squad Armor with NBC masks/helmets (toughness 8, +5 on checks to disguise yourself as a member of R.I.O.T.)
Nightbird is able to easily disable Moonlight's cell with the taser, after which the latter is easily able to blast through the transparent super-polymer shell of the tank and free herself. Using the keycard allows Nightbird to open Spellbinder's tank in a more controlled way as the container retracts into the machine's base, freeing its occupant. You momentarily feel weaker again as some of the red light within spills onto you, but it passes once you are out of it.

Spellbinder
Spellbinderpost_id=154523 wrote:Sat Feb 12, 2022 9:48 pmJason stands up in his tube and waits for Genie to free him.

He walks out and turns his mystical senses onto the dampening field he was previously in.
The power-nullifying field does not seem like any counterspell or anti-magic field you know of. Your senses see nothing - a complete lack of magic that is so absolute, you know that this cannot be the result of any spell or arcana.

Consider how music is the sound waves in the air. This power-nullifying field would be to magic what an airless vacuum would be to music: not mere silence, not just the absence of sound, but a void that precludes the possibility of such things even existing.
OOC

You may decide amongst yourselves what course of action you want to take. Normally, there would be the option to split up, but in this particular case, I'm going to have to ask that you stay as a group to keep the posting load manageable (and also because it's not a good idea).
(When you are ready to leave:)

A cautious glance outside the door reveals that outside the brig is a narrow, cramped passageway into the depths of the massive sub. To your left is a large and heavily-reinforced bulkhead door, which is how you were brought to the brig; it is now closed. To your right is what looks like a turbolift with a keycard reader next to it.

You hear a rumbling sound in the distance, and the floor tilts slightly. The Ragnarok must be maneuvering to surface, which makes no sense at all. Submarines in combat do not surface because it makes them vulnerable.
Ysariel

Post by Ysariel »

Gelert
General Arms Systems - Headquarters building
stavaros_the_arcane wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 5:22 pmGelert doesn't know if he can catch General Havoc judging by her flight speed, but darn if he isn't going to be snapping and barking at her heels every metaphorical step of the way! CHASE CHASE CHASE!
General Havoc flies into the lift and right through its roof with a terrible crash of twisting metal. You zip away after her, through the hole she left in its ceiling, up the lift shaft, and back into the meeting room where Richards first showed you the STARS propaganda video. She cannot maneuver at full speed in the narrow confines of the facility, but you know that once she gets to open air things will be very different. You glimpse, over her shoulder, a long trail of destruction, with all the checkpoints you passed through to get here smashed and burning and littered with the unconscious bodies and broken drones of G.A.S. security. The path from here to the entrance must be almost clear.

The Anarchy Command's mastermind looks over her shoulder and growls as she sees you hot on her heels. "You want to push your luck? Fine!"

She turns in midair and lands, stomping on the ground hard enough to crater the reinforced concrete under her. You are suddenly reminded that this place is still underground, as the cracks spiderweb all the way up the walls of the conference room and up the the ceiling, bringing it crashing down on you in a torrent of earth and steel!

OOC

General Havoc is fatigued, so she can't both move and take a standard action. This round she foregoes moving and, with her standard action, she inflicts a DC 35 toughness check on the room's walls, collapsing it to block your path with about 100 tons of debris. However, after checking, I just realized you have Move Object 14 (400 tons) which actually lets you lift and move the debris easily. General Havoc isn't so well-informed on what powers you have that she would know exactly how much you can lift, so it makes sense anyway.

You are in the meeting room where Richards first showed you his propaganda video. With another move action, General Havoc can probably make it all the way to the building entrance, and another action from there will let her escape.

On your next turn the first of the STARS units arrive.

Round 1
28 GENERAL HAVOC (with Attenuated Power of Daka) (-3, Fatigued)
11 Gelert *

You are up!
Ysariel

Post by Ysariel »

Meanwhile...

Amethyst watches General Havoc depart, followed swiftly by Gelert, who is in turn followed by the vanguard of the STARS units as they power up and activate.

"I'm borrowing one of these," she declares, and turns to one of the STARS drones in its maintenance harness. Standing right in her way is Rex Richards, staring at her with his jaw on the floor, as are all the G.A.S. security personnel, and even Black Hat in his chair. The place has suddenly gone as silent as a graveyard. Amethyst looks down at herself; she's almost completely bare except for her suit goggles, a G-string and a few tattered scraps of her uniform.

She looks up and raises an eyebrow. Some of the guards cough, avert their eyes, or attempt to pretend they aren't staring. Rex is just blatantly ogling her in a sort of trance.

"Have you not seen a woman's body before?" she asks.

"No -- I mean -- yes -- I mean --"

Amethyst smirks from ear to ear, brushes past him, and swaggers over to the STARS drone. Here she was, naked and unafraid, and yet they were the ones standing helpless, seized in the grip of their lusts and desires, their basest wants exposed for all to see. Richards might get to see what she looked like under her suit, but he'd also be aching for the rest of his life at the fact that he'd never get to lay a finger on her.

With a few deft touches on the controls - still logged in with employee credentials, so she doesn't even have to disable any security - Amethyst switches the drone over to manual operation mode and steps in. The suit closes about her as the maintenance harness disengages, and she strides off following the STARS drones.
Gilliam

Post by Gilliam »

Nightbird

"Disguise is a good idea and we will get further doing so" Imogen agrees with Aranel as she looks at the swag they had found.

"Okay so like before, 2 of us in disguise and the other stays hidden. I am happy to wear one of the uniforms if either of you 2 want to do the hiding otherwise I will follow along in the shadows. But I do like the look of this gun so I will grab it."
OOC wrote: Once decide who is hiding then I think time to leave. Probably discuss in OOC thread.

Any of the gear that no-one wants, Imogen will grab and take with her.
Outside Imogen (dressed as a RIOT trooper) notices the sub starting to move upwards

"Not a good sign either they have everyone off Deep 6 and want to let them loose or something else is going on that means they have to surface. I think use the lift as should take us straight to the bridge or the engine room where we can do some damage."
kenseido

Post by kenseido »

Spellbinder

Jason stares for several moments. The field didn't make sense. There is magic everywhere. In everything. How was this field doing that?

"I can hide." he says absent mindedly as Genie makes suggestions.

"They were on a time crunch and left Deep Six, I thought. I wonder if she ran into a setback confronting the rest of your team? In any case, we should make sure she can't regroup and rebuild."
Psistrike

Post by Psistrike »

Moonlight
HP: 6 LP: 0
Condition: Fine

Aranel suits up in one of the RIOT trooper's outfits, the helmet and NBC gas mask would help disguise her appearance. Takes the grenade, leaving the firearm for Imogen or Jason to use. "Sorry to take the other trooper's outfit, but I can't turn invisible and my stealth skills are nothing compared to Nightbird's. I think heading to the engine room would work best, a ship this size will take a long time to repair and get going again if we cripple it. The only problem is inflicting the damage and escaping afterwards as they will be on high alert once he strike."
kenseido

Post by kenseido »

Spellbinder

"Now that I am out of that field, I can handle any exit we need."

He pauses briefly, thinking about the whole situation, including the crew.

"Engines are good. Weapons also make a good target. If we focus on weapon stores, we can create a lot of secondary explosions. And if we wait until we are surfaced, the crew will be able to abandon ship."
Gilliam

Post by Gilliam »

Nightbird

"Engines it is then in the confusion we can target the weapons stores"

Approaching the turbolift Imogen takes out the keycard she had found on the RIOT trooper.
Ysariel

Post by Ysariel »

Nightbird, Moonlight & Spellbinder
Aboard the Ragnarok -- Ship's Brig > Engineering

You leave the two R.I.O.T. troopers bound and gagged in their underwear in the brig they were guarding. Their uniforms are somewhat roomy on you, but as far as concealing who you are they seem to work passably well.

The minute Moonlight puts on the military fatigues she feels a prickling, itching sensation on her wrists, under her chin where the NBC mask and helmet are fastened, about her hips, and so on. As it turns out, the fasteners and elastics used in the uniforms have synthetic fibers!
Moonlight

I trigger your weakness complication and you are impaired (-2 to all checks) for the duration of this scene. You gain 1 HP now. Depending on the number of checks and the amount of combat you have to do, which effectively make the complication more severe, you may gain additional HP, but this is not guaranteed.

The rifle is steel, not cold (wrought) iron, so you can safely handle it.
The keycard reader flashes green with a satisfying beep, and the lift doors glide open. Inside the cramped confines of the turbolift, you see a control panel that says:

Deck 1 - bridge & armory
Deck 2 - engineering & crew quarters
Deck 3 - cargo

You can still tell that the submarine hull is angled upward, and from the direction of inclination, you can tell that the turbolift opens towards the ship's rear.

(Assuming you go to deck 2)

The turbolift doors glide open silently to reveal a narrow passageway lined with machinery on either side. Like everywhere else in the ship, the place is uncomfortably cramped. The ship's engines themselves are not visible from here, and it is not even clear where in the hull they are located.

What is visible from here is the room dead ahead, lined with electronic controls and computer monitors, and dominated by the massive device in its center. A transparent cylinder, like the SCU you escaped from but far larger, surrounds a great sphere of energy that burns bright blue-white like a newborn star. Electric arcs peel off its corona, and connect to antennae-like spikes at the cylinder's top and bottom. From the way the reactor is embedded in the floor you get the sense that what you see is only a part of it, and the machine's entirety occupies more than one deck. On the other side of the room past the reactor you see a door in a bulkhead that continues deeper into the stern of the ship.

Standing at a terminal before the titanic reactor is the familiar form of Professor Pandemonium's hulking battlesuit in its characteristic Soviet brutalist style. "Sir!" a R.I.O.T. trooper runs up to the Professor and salutes. "preparations for surfacing are complete. The bridge has issued the order to--"

"And why," he complains loudly, "must we go to all the trouble of this? Am I to be reduced to a mere engineman, and my mighty warship a mere taxi for these N.O.M.U.? Can eight-foot-tall superhuman brutes not swim? Is our great revolution to be stopped by a few hundred yards of saltwater? So much for the strategic 'genius' of our dear 'General', huh?"

"S-sir... I..." stammers the soldier, who clearly has no idea how to deal with this treasonously insubordinate rant.

"First the prisoners, then the N.O.M.U. -- bah! Had we been loaded with ballistic missiles instead, I could've wiped out the entire United States, but no, we have to do this the slow, stupid and messy way. Blah blah whine whine yak yak etc etc..."
Spellbinder - Intellect 6 ranks

You recall General Havoc's exact words: "Bring the Ragnarok inland and direct all forces towards G.A.S. headquarters..."

But a submarine or ship has no means of leaving the water. Unless, of course, it can walk or fly -- and flying ships (even aircraft carriers, if comic books are to be believed) are not completely unheard of.
OOC

While disguised, you do not have to make checks to pull off your disguise unless you arouse suspicion in some way. An example might be asking for classified information, or going somewhere you are not authorized to.

You can investigate the room and look at the monitor readouts. Without the Technology or Science skill, or a related expertise, you can only interpret basic information presented in plain English.

You can question one of the R.I.O.T. troopers or interact with Professor Pandemonium.

You can try to open the door in the bulkhead at the far end of the room.

You can alternately back out to the turbolift and chose to investigate a different deck. You can also do whatever else you consider reasonable.
Gilliam

Post by Gilliam »

Nightbird

While half listening to the complaining Professor Pandemonium, Imogen makes her way round the room trying to make sense of the gobbly-gok that is on the various monitors.
OOC wrote: Here is an intellect check if needed.

Nightbird Intellect: 1d20+1 13