Adventures Assemble S3E3: The Great Brain Robbery!

For all of your Play-By-Post games.
Ysariel

Re: Adventures Assemble S3E1: Enemies of the State!

Post by Ysariel »

Amethyst
Condition: Fatigued / HP: 0 +1 (GM award) = 1

Nothing visible happens, because the electromagnetic waves in question are not in the visible spectrum. After a while, however, Amethyst lowers her gauntlet. "EM field negated," Amy confirms.

Amethyst steps up, accesses the server mainframe, isolates it from the network and patches the operating system. "Now," Amy comments, "to discover what CJ's distractions were meant to mask."

Amethyst floats off the ground as her suit's hyperdrive vanes glow neon blue. "I'm gonna do a sweep of the hospital and see if he's lurking nearby. And if CJ has stooped so low as to go after Kisai instead, I'll be extremely disappointed."

OOC

Remove malware from the last server and cut off CJ's access.
AA Amethyst Technology: 1D20+20 = [19]+20 = 39

I don't want to rush too far ahead so I am ending this post here, but unless interrupted Amethyst will check on the main event at the hospital first, then overfly it by air a few times to search if CJ is physically around or close by (I will roll for a search check then). If the hospital seems safe then she will fly to join the other heroes by the waterside.
kenseido

Post by kenseido »

Moonlight & Nightbird

Blows repeatedly slam into the demon cracking bones and leaving it staggering around.
Brute Demon #4 TOU save: 1d20+12-1 22
Bx2, Staggered

Moonlight is up
kenseido

Post by kenseido »

Amethyst

"Michelle," Amy says, "I am detecting an extremely high-power draw from the radiology department. More than if all the CTs and MRIs were running at the same time."
Ysariel

Post by Ysariel »

Amethyst
Condition: Fatigued / HP: 1

"Show me the way!" Blaster pistols warp into Amethyst's hands, before she floats off the ground and blasts off down the hallway. In her HUD a minimap of the hospital pops up, drawn from its public website, and the path to the radiology room glows red.

OOC

Amethyst will proceed to the radiology room. It's possible she may need to notice something or make a save on getting close, so here is an unmodified roll; just add her trait ranks for the result. She has perception +9 and dodge +11.

AA Amethyst raw d20: 1D20 = [2] = 2
kenseido

Post by kenseido »

Amethyst

Michelle flies down to radiology to find a bizarre device tied into the main powerlines.

Above it appears to be a cloud of electricity. From a nearby monitor, CJ's image is watching.

"What?!? How did you get here so quick?"

He pushes a few buttons on his side, and the image goes away. There are several pops from the device and the electrical cloud starts moving towards Michelle.
Psistrike

Post by Psistrike »

Moonlight
HP: 1 LP: 0
Condition: -2 Toughness [heals in 2 rounds, heals in 4 rounds]

Aranel causes the giant stone fist to rise up and slam down on the remaining demon with all its might. "Next time make a reservation!"

OOC: Elemental Blast, -5 Atk, +5 DC: Attack roll: 1d20+7 26 DC 30
kenseido

Post by kenseido »

Moonlight & Nightbird

The stone fist deflects off the demon's hide, leaving only a bruise.

The demon roars as it swings wildly and misses Nightbird by a mile.
Brute Demon TOU save: 1d20+12-2 23
Bx3, Staggered

Brute Demon Unarmed attack: 1d20+8 9

Nightbird is up
Gilliam

Post by Gilliam »

Nightbird
HP: 0
Condition: Normal

Not even bothering to move her feet, Imogen easily swayed her body to avoid the demon's blow before spinning on one foot to deliver a round-house kick to the head of the demon.
OOC wrote: Nightbird PA +/-5
Nightbird PA +5: 1d20+14-5 26
Critical DC33 Toughness Save
stavaros_the_arcane

Post by stavaros_the_arcane »

Gelert
Condition: Bx1
kenseido wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 7:32 pm Gelert

The demon's body explodes quite violently, forcing Gelert to put up a shield around Philip and himself.

As the Hound of Hope looks over his teammate, it becomes apparent that the Demon's sword would have only cut a scant few minutes of Philip's life. Healing energy pours out of the ring and covers Philip healing him from the nearly mortal wounds.

He sits up with a start and immediately starts looking around. Then he spots Gelert down by his side.

"Oh. You." He stands himself up. "How did you... oh." His head cocks like he is listening to someone else.

He stands up slowly. "Thanks. Strider setup an ambush." He points to the clothes and burned skeleton you saw earlier. "Even jammed my commlink."
Gelert gives Philip an affectionate nuzzle. "Glad you're okay. We got a rather panicked mental message from Celeste that you were in serious trouble. I'll save the scolding for going off to do things without back up for later, but I do expect an actual explanation for what you've been up too from you. You've been leaving people alternately very worried about and annoyed with you."

"I'd better call in to see how Michelle is doing, we had to split up to deal with simultaneous crises." Gelert makes an attempt to call through to Amethyst.

"Amethyst? It's Gelert. Situation at Pier 4 is under control and Philip is safe. I'm patching him up right now. How are things there? Do I need to rush back?"
kenseido

Post by kenseido »

Moonlight and Nightbird

The kick connects and there is a loud cracking noise from the demon.

Then another cracking noise as the demon lands hard on the apartment floor.

As you look over the four fallen demons, their bodies begin dissolving. You don't hear anything coming out of the room with the girls.
Brute Demon TOU save: 1d20+12-3 21
Out
kenseido

Post by kenseido »

Gelert

"Celeste? No, you must have been hearing things?"

He just looks at the fallen foes while Gelert nuzzles and chides Philip at the same time.

Gelert's commlink also appears jammed so he isn't able to communicate right away.

"Here, let me get that." Philip walks over to a rock and kicks it over, revealing a small gizmo. He picks it up and shows it to Gelert. Dragon energy forms around his hand and he crushes it.

Dropping it, Philip vanishes before it even hits the ground.
Ysariel

Post by Ysariel »

Amethyst
stavaros_the_arcane wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 4:01 pm "Amethyst? It's Gelert. Situation at Pier 4 is under control and Philip is safe. I'm patching him up right now. How are things there? Do I need to rush back?"
"Great job dealing with the situation over there and keeping Kisai safe, Gelert. Stay where you are, Amy and I will be with you once after cleaning up this thundercloud." She looks at the cloud. "Like, literally. There are little lightning bolts and such coming out of it. Putting you on hold."

Amethyst glances at CJ's bizzare device, and a targeting reticule automatically pops up over it and blinks red. But shooting that and destroying the power line it was attached to would cut power to the hospital and its life-saving equipment, not to mention the attendant risks of fire. She thinks a moment.

"Amy?"

"The capacitors will be damaged from overcharge," the AI says. "But it should work."

Amethyst takes a deep breath, steels herself, and walks into the cloud.

Fingers of lightning crackle over her shields and rain sparks over the floor. But despite the lightshow, inside her suit, Amethyst's hair doesn't even stand on end. She and Amy had recently been experimenting with capturing lightning strikes for use in clean energy, and part of the plan was to use superconducting force fields to channel the current into batteries - in this case, her suit's capacitors. The power gauge in her HUD rapidly ticks up green, surging all the way to 400% before it stops and the last of the cloud dissipates.

Well, she thinks, kneeling and disconnecting CJ's machine from the power mains, how about that.

"The hospital is secured," Amy transmits through the commlink. "Proceeding to the pier."
kenseido

Post by kenseido »

Across town

Jason stares angrily as Dimitri and his toad walk away.

Sure, just get Philip to leave town. Idiots.

"Problems?"

Jason turns to see Morgan. He pushes the hood back from the ridiculous costume they ask him to wear. It's just like your father's.

"This is totally the wrong thing to do, Morgan." He holds up the written orders with the Council's seal on them.

"It was a divided meeting."

"Did the Council even spend 2 seconds discussing how the Champions would react? Or his other friends and family?"

Morgan just looks at him calmly.

"Of course not. They're not magical so they don't count."

"Look, you can't deny that he is starting to attract a lot of magical attention."

"Something we should be helping him with."

"Like I said, it was a divided meeting. Do your best but do it YOUR way. Ignore what Dimitri told you."

"I didn't need to be told that."

Morgan smiles as Jason turns and walks away. "Where are you going?"

"The library. I want to read up on all those friends and family. So, I know who I am going to be antagonizing."

Morgan nods. Jason really did like to be over prepared. A habit Morgan wished some of the others would pick up.
Last edited by kenseido on Sat Feb 18, 2023 6:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
stavaros_the_arcane

Post by stavaros_the_arcane »

kenseido wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 10:44 pm Gelert

"Celeste? No, you must have been hearing things?"

He just looks at the fallen foes while Gelert nuzzles and chides Philip at the same time.
"I mean it was definitely a telepathic message right to our brains, but I could be mistaken on who the voice was from."
kenseido wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 10:44 pm Gelert's commlink also appears jammed so he isn't able to communicate right away.

"Here, let me get that." Philip walks over to a rock and kicks it over, revealing a small gizmo. He picks it up and shows it to Gelert. Dragon energy forms around his hand and he crushes it.

Dropping it, Philip vanishes before it even hits the ground.
"OH COME ON!" Gelert huffs, before moving over to look at the fallen doohickey. "I almost want to say this better be some sort of magical kidnapping. Because if he's just running away to avoid talking about his problems I will be very disappointed in him."
Ysariel wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 10:48 pm Amethyst
stavaros_the_arcane wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 4:01 pm "Amethyst? It's Gelert. Situation at Pier 4 is under control and Philip is safe. I'm patching him up right now. How are things there? Do I need to rush back?"
"Great job dealing with the situation over there and keeping Kisai safe, Gelert. Stay where you are, Amy and I will be with you once after cleaning up this thundercloud." She looks at the cloud. "Like, literally. There are little lightning bolts and such coming out of it. Putting you on hold."

----

"The hospital is secured," Amy transmits through the commlink. "Proceeding to the pier."
Gelert gives Amethyst an update once he's no longer on hold. "Sorry Philip just up and vanished. Literally. Just after my last message got through. I'm unsure if it was willingly or not but either way we should probably take a look over the remains of the battle that happened before I got here. Plus there is a slightly crushed jamming device you might find interesting to look over."
kenseido

Post by kenseido »

Philip's Apartment

Celeste breathes a sigh of relief as Gelert heals Philip.

"That was close," she says as she sits down on the couch. Philip was lucky that even at the hospital was so widely advertised. If Celeste had to search the city for Michelle or Gelert, he probably would have died.

Her eyes settle on the crystal skull on the shelf next to the door. Flashing! No!

Her passive scan detected no minds, but when she pushes out locally, she picks them up. AEGIS agents with psi-scramblers. And a hunter.

Just then Philip appears in the living room.

"You have to go. AEGIS is here." Philip looks towards the door and sees the flashing skull.

He motions over to a door. "Get in the closet."

"They have a hunter. And a warrant."

Philip remains nonplussed. "Celeste, trust me. Get in the closet."

Reluctantly, Celeste moves quickly to the closet as the AEGIS people, let by Agent Barrett begin knocking loudly on the door yelling "Search Warrant."

Philip closes the door behind her and then waves at the front door causing it to open and the man with the mini-battering ram to fall inside.

"Please, come in."

Barrett walks in, looking a bit distressed. "Philip, we have a search warrant, so this is your only warning. Turn her over or I have to arrest you as well."

"Didn't the Supreme Court rule psi-tech isn't allowed?"

"I'm serious. No more free passes. I have orders to arrest you if you don't cooperate fully and turn her over now."

"Turn over who?"

Barrett sighs. "Cuff him." Philip doesn't resist, putting his hands behind his back and turning around for them.

The agents come in with a... person sniffing the air. The hunter.

The hunter is bald, in fact completely hairless. Dressed in an all-black bodysuit and sporting several cerebral cybernetic implants, the hunter quickly moves over to the closet Celeste entered moments ago.

"I'm sorry, Philip," Barrett says as the agents surround the door and point their weapons at it. The Hunter quickly retreats behind Agent Barret.

Philip just smiles.

"Celeste, we know you're in there. Come out and don't try anything."

After several moments of silence, one of the men shoots a projectile thru the door and a flashbang goes off inside the closet.

They quickly open the door and aim their weapons at... nothing.

Everyone looks surprised, and Agent Barrett turns to the Hunter. The Hunter looks confused and looks down at the floor.

The agents then fan out and begin searching the apartment. Except Barret who just eyes Philip.

"Forget the search. She isn't here. Uncuff him and head back to base."

One of the agents begins to protest but Barrett cuts him off. "She's not here and we have nothing to hold him on. Even if she was here, his arrest would still be problematic because like he said, psi-tech is not admissible."

The agents grumble and leave. Barrett is the last one out. "This is only going to make him angrier."

Philip shrugs it off and follows him to the door.

"I'll send you a bill for painting the closet," he says while closing the door. He turns back to the living room and chuckles a little to himself.

"At least something went right today."

Cyberspace

"Hello," Celeste calls out. She entered a closet and is now in a living room. Their living room... well, sort of. It looks like a video game version of their living room.

The TV begins talking to her. "Hello, Celeste. I am Amy. Philip has asked that I look in on you while you are here."

"Amy? Place? Where am I?"

"You are in cyberspace. This is a safe room Philip and I set up for you in the event of an emergency."

"And who are you exactly?"

"I am Amy, the AI developed by Michelle or as you might know her, Amethyst."

"So, Michelle knows?"

"No. Philip convinced me that it would be safer for Michelle if she did not know. That way she would not be forced to lie to the government, which could jeopardize business as well as personal life. I don't like lying to Michelle, but Philip is insistent that AEGIS wouldn't play by the rules."

"Based on what just happened, he's right."

"Indeed."