[IC] The New Mythos: Trials and Tribulations

For all of your Play-By-Post games.
Arkrite

Re: [IC] The New Mythos: Predator and Prey

Post by Arkrite »

Felix Ian Xavier - Mr. FIX I.T.
HP: 3

Felix gives Cheyenne a sad little smile.

"Thanks, Cheyenne," He pats her on the shoulder, "But if you think I'm going to let my best friend go after a psychotic magic gun wielding serial killer by herself? Then that building hit you harder than I thought."

He grins, "Don't worry about me. I've upgraded the jacket since the last time, I'm keeping my shields up, and my left arm is literally bulletproof!"

"Don't worry about me. Worry about him. Being gotten. By me."

"Yeah, that... that sounded better in my head."

The truth was he wanted to take her up on it. The concept of what they were doing was terrifying. It would have been easier. So much easier.

But he could do things now. He had the power to make changes. He had a responsibility to take the good path, not the easy one.
Doctor Malsyn

Post by Doctor Malsyn »

Kira does as she says, giving it a shot to try and put her eye in the sky so to speak. Try as she might however she just can't seem to make out much through the rain-soaked gloom of night. Every flash of light from the clouds above only illuminates the forests below for the briefest of moments, her normal senses being borderline human are completely incapable of picking out the details. All she can see up here is the briefest flash of a crescent moon through a break in the clouds, along with a sea of greenery that glints in the thunderlight.

Down on the ground, Felix does what he can to gather and isolate the individual trails of magic he can detect. There's certainly something that disturbed the ambient paths within the local Arcane Sphere. Something quite powerful if how little things have settled is an indicator, as wispy as it appeared in his mind's eye. It at least proves the team was on the right track, unless some other supernatural creature decided to traipse through a cordoned off section of wood within the past few days. With his help, Cheyenne is able to just about get a 'grip' on the signature, but it's a fleeting thing. she'd probably have to stop periodically to re-gather her bearings, but so far it seems to follow close along the road.

GM: With this initial pair of checks you've got her 'scent', but Cheyenne won't be able to follow it very fast.

Neko and Philp take up the task of infiltrating the store, careful to case the joint before they rush in to make any mistakes. As predicted, there are a few deterrents around, but it's all noise-makers like strung cans or bells designed to ward off invading animals instead of actual intruders. except, of course, for the silent alarm Neko manages to discover keyed to the doors and windows, both of which were barred on the outside. Which makes sense, considering a place like this probably keeps a few firearms for hunting somewhere in stock. The alarm however is trivial for someone who can just slip in through the cracks, and Philip manages to find a switch to disable it and unlocks the door for his furry companion.

Together the two make quick work searching around for anything that might prove helpful, and come across a pamphlet stand that advertises the local trails. Many of them don't appear to have been on the GPS map Felix provided, and there's even a few locations marked as public hunting blinds. A few areas seem to have been marked off as 'private property', though there's no information on who owns those plots. The two figure that the information here will be helpful in navigating the woods even more.

GM: All checks made to navigate through the woods generally along with finding specific marked locations will have a beneficial circumstance modifier.
Am I dead? Am I alive? The answer may surprise you!
------------
"What a week, huh?" "Doc, it's only Wednesday."
catsi563

Post by catsi563 »

Cheyenne
HP: 2; Condition: Huntress

She shook her head ruefully but also to hide the small almost smile on her face. She didnt have many of what could be truly called friends Felix was one of them and one of the most important. She made a promise she'd protect him this time unlike in the labyrinth and if she failed this time she promised she'd make sure that whatever hurt him didnt survive to gloat about it.

then she moved out starting at a slow steady pace following the trail that he enhanced senses laid out for her moving like a wolf as she did low to the ground stopping every so often to reestablish the trail and making sure she had it.

As she moved she also kept in mind how she would hunt her prey in this situation, would she herd the prey to a dead end would she look for elevated positions from which to search and if need be fire. She worked her way into the mindset of the hunter with the hope that she could turn him into the prey. but she was also wary because she knew that it would be terribly easy to make a mistake and then she and those following behind her would become the prey.

moving out following the trail as best she can being as stealthy as possible also
Dr. Silverback has wryly observed that this is like trying to teach lolcats about Shakespeare

Showdown at the Litterbox

Catsi stories
Flynnarrel

Post by Flynnarrel »

Very quickly (unless and until we're told we are moving out), Phillip will have looked through the book logging purchases to see when the taxidermy shop owner was last in to buy anything.
"Something pithy this way comes."
Doctor Malsyn

Post by Doctor Malsyn »

Pressed for time as he was, Philip can't seem to find any recent records that might point to their presence.

GM: Is Cheyenne not going to wait for the rest of the team?
------------
catsi563

Post by catsi563 »

Doctor Malsyn wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 9:10 pm Pressed for time as he was, Philip can't seem to find any recent records that might point to their presence.

GM: Is Cheyenne not going to wait for the rest of the team?
I thought the group was ready and just waiting for me
Dr. Silverback has wryly observed that this is like trying to teach lolcats about Shakespeare

Showdown at the Litterbox

Catsi stories
jmucchiello

Post by jmucchiello »

Kira gets out of the car. "It's just too much area. Can't find anything. What are we up to?" She says to Felix, who seems to be the only person nearby.
Arkrite

Post by Arkrite »

"I think Cheyenne picked up the trail," Felix says watching as Cheyenne moves off.

Pointing he adds, "Might want to keep her in sight. I better let the others know."

He sends a quick text to Neko and Phillip: Cheyenne has picked up a trail. She's on the go and I don't think she's going to wait for us to catch up.
Flynnarrel

Post by Flynnarrel »

Phillip Dremmin
CND: fine | HP:2
Array Settings wrote: Blood-Drinker Array: Applied Obfuscation
Auspix Array: Rat senses
Vampire Array: Rat Control

Phillip pauses in his fruitless search to check the vibrating notification on his phone. He collects the cat ninja and joins the others.

Meanwhile, Phillip will access his Dark link to creatures of the night, well, that was an overstatement. 'Pests of the Night' was more accurate. "Niblets of the Night" was *most* accurate considering their place on the food chain.

He wouldn't try exerting control just yet but the position of the rats might give him information. In his head was a radius map of the location of rodents. They should be more or less evenly dispersed over the terrain. Any blank places of the nocturnal creatures could indicate these 'hunting grounds' as the uncanny creatures would steer of predatory smells, such as those given off by a scared (or angry) wendigo.
Doctor Malsyn

Post by Doctor Malsyn »

Luckily Cheyenne can't move exceptionally fast if she doesn't wish to loose her trail, and both Neko and Philip are quick in their own rights. Kira for her part makes short work of catching up with the arcane bruiser along with Felix. Together everyone chooses to leave their vehicles behind in anticipation for going off-road, yet for an annoying length of time it seems such worries were unfounded. It seems Ahnah had stuck to the main road during her initial flee days prior rather then brave the woods themselves. The information the group had consolidated so far isn't of much use for this part of their search as a result.

After the better part of an hour through an empty campground comes into sight, though the road does seem to continue off a ways. Several spots had been clearly laid out for RVs, there are benches spaced out throughout the area, and there seems to be a communal firepit towards the far end of the area. Predictably, there's no signs of recent habitation, though some of the trashcans set up have been knocked over with their contents spilled fourth. Cheyenne's trail seems to break off going further in as the trail starts get jumbled. It seems that the young wendigo had grown indecisive here, and wandered around the grounds for a length of time.

There are a few signs set up throughout the area, the most elaborate one labeling the camp as 'Ranger's Rest'. The others seem to be historical markers for the most well-traversed hiking trails. It seems this part of the forest was frequented by a tribe native to the region whom died off before the colonial era, only known of through the oral histories of other tribes and scant artifacts discovered along the trails.

GM: There are a few spots to look around if you'd like while Cheyenne works to find her next lead. Discovering any 'clues' might ultimately make her check easier.
------------
Flynnarrel

Post by Flynnarrel »

Assuming the girl sought the comfort of a fire, Phillips moves to check out the fire pit. He'll check to feel if the pit still holds residual heat that might indicate a recent fire. He'll give the ash a cursory sift to see if anything was left within.

Engaging heightened senses, he'll also seek the girl's actual scent as picked up from the sweater her kappa love gave them earlier. If he does find scent, he'll try to determine her emotional state {Detect Emotions[Scent]}.
Perception: 1d20+12 22
Arkrite

Post by Arkrite »

Felix was huffing and puffing by the time they came to a stop.

An hour worth of walking probably wasn't bothering his companions, but they weren't wearing a giant heavy jacket filled with electronics and Kevlar, or a large metal staff. Or a metal arm. Or they had superhuman strength and/or endurance.

He stopped to look around, pulling off his glasses and wiping away the sweat on his forehead with the back of his sleeve. The benches were calling his name, but he paused to look at the trashcans, curious to see why they'd been knocked over.

It was possible it was the wind, or an animal. Or a teenage girl looking for food.

"Out of curiosity," Felix says, still breathing hard, "Can we try tracking from inside a vehicle next time?"
Doctor Malsyn

Post by Doctor Malsyn »

Taking a look at the firepit reveals much of what he might've already expected to find, the pit showing more signs of rain than it was of recent fires. Yet, there still seems to be something lingering nearby, and after some digging he manages to find what seems to be a torn sweater that had fallen into the pit. Pushing back the scents of ash and rain, there's something deeper tied here. Hints of fear, panic, and a tinge of longing. It's hard to tell how long it's been here precisely, but it closely matches up with the victim's disappearance.

Felix at the very least had the rain to help cool him down, though mostly it was making the mage feel even more misserable. Once he'd gotten his bearings and pocked around near the garbage can, the trash debris that hadn't flown away seems to indicate it might've been done by an animal. A large animal. One with claws, if the scratches on trashcan are an indication.
------------
Wheeljack Prime

Post by Wheeljack Prime »

Mimi "Neko Mimi" Nomura
Dodge: 10, Parry: 10, Tough: 6/3, Fort: 6, Will: 8, Perception: +10
HP: 1, Condition: Normal

Phillip pauses in his fruitless search to check the vibrating notification on his phone. He collects the cat ninja and joins the others.

Meanwhile, Phillip will access his Dark link to creatures of the night, well, that was an overstatement. 'Pests of the Night' was more accurate. "Niblets of the Night" was *most* accurate considering their place on the food chain.

He wouldn't try exerting control just yet but the position of the rats might give him information. In his head was a radius map of the location of rodents. They should be more or less evenly dispersed over the terrain. Any blank places of the nocturnal creatures could indicate these 'hunting grounds' as the uncanny creatures would steer of predatory smells, such as those given off by a scared (or angry) wendigo.
[/quote]

Sakura reveals she had taken pictures of all the security measures with her phone and shows them to Felix. "Do you think you could re-route the silent alarm to work for us? Have it notify you when someone enters? That could help if she somehow slips by us" she proposes, toying with her faintly-visible whiskers.
Flynnarrel

Post by Flynnarrel »

Phillip Dremmin
CND: fine | HP:3
Array Settings wrote: Blood-Drinker Array: Applied Obfuscation
Auspix Array: Rat senses
Vampire Array: Rat Control

Phillip's was heartenend to know the girl hadn't reverted to some mindless rage monster by her ordeal. There had been a non-zero chance the hunter had drugged his non-human victims to a more feral state so as to justify this farce of a hunt. It had to be that a majority of those he captured were normal people without a 'killer' instinct. They likely died with pleas om their lips. To maintain this spectacle in the face of all of that meant the man 's insanity had no depth. Phillip just wished insanity came with stupidity (but it very much did not, especially with the intricate planning this all took).

Ultimately his information meant little to their current task to find the girl. He pocketed the scrap of fabric and rejoined the others.