[IC] - In the Shadow of Imperator: Extended Interludes

For all of your Play-By-Post games.
Sakuro

Re: [IC] - In the Shadow of Imperator: Extended Interludes

Post by Sakuro »

Monday, April 22, 2019 - Damage Control

Tilly waved a hand ending in well manicured nails. It was as though Diego had woven a web of manipulative words to placate her, and she was thrashing it apart. HEr voice was rich with frustration and anger but it didn't raise in volume. She was expressive, but made efforts to not be disrespectful.

"Well .. indulging Iona got three men killed. Sergeant Kreppler is raging about not being informed of security concerns that he could have taken precautions for. There are also half a dozen or so people who haven't shown up in days and aren't answering attempts to contact them. Probably scared of whatever weirdness is going on in that room Iona set up."

When Diego talked about a threat by Dr. Sokolov to expose the base's location confusion crossed the woman's face.

"Why would Sokolov compromise the base anyway? That doesn't make sense. He gave us the location. His people helped build it up. Iona is exerting his authority here. No, that doesn't track."

Tilly was talking a bit faster now, as though rushing to shape emotional bile into words and purge it from herself before it festered inside of her, turning into something bad.

"Iona has been commissioning work for another installation across town. Why can't she keep the crazy isolated over there? Isn't that what it is for?"

OOC wrote:As you surmised, while Dr. Sokolov's people are somewhat acclimated to and are more tolerant of mad science going on, Praetor Null's people are not. Which is what your base personnel is comprised of. Your subordinates are starting to desert their posts and not come back. Your personnel have received several morale hits and you haven't actually done anything about any of them. This event with Iona's experiments and the meta-human running amuck in your base has shoved it over the edge. You will see more desertion over time if measures are not taken to repair morale.

I also want to say ... it was very tactful for Diego to exclude Null from his comments about the potential to be overwhelmed and needing to be stronger.
Evelyn Gracen, in AEGIS Squad
Storyteller for In the Shadow of Imperator
Storyteller for Geneforge: the Created
mrdent12

Post by mrdent12 »

Diego Gonzalez
HP: 3
CND: Obsessed
Form: Solid

"Getting three men killed also grants me leverage over Iona to help get my heart back from the Jaguars. If a some forces desert it is trade that needs to be made. Iona is unable to comprehend it's actions effect others without seeing it's epic failures in actions. Going forward, security will be more involved and as you say it will likely move it's lab of horrors to it's own space. In discussions with it, I could have pushed for moving the experiments there, but that would have taken time and each passing day the Jaguars keep the heart separated from it's rightful owner the longer there will be consequences for the world.", responds Diego. If anyone else in the base had said what Tilly said, he would have expelled them from the base or worse for insubordination. If not for her though, he wouldn't be an Ascendant or alive.

Pressing his point even more, Diego wanted to make sure Tilly was under no assumptions of his role. "In the world Imperator and now Praetor Null is taking on the mantle of building, I will not have a place in the light. My image will not appear in parks of kids playing happily in an environment free of pollutants. There will be no singing my praises in the streets. My place has become one of the darkness. If enemies of utopia arise, I will rise out of the shadow. That is and will be my role.", bluntly says Diego.

"You and the other fighters for the dream in this base and all over the city will inherit the light. Through your actions, you will be able to claim the light side of the world that is to come. Your children will not know the strains of an environment being killed. your lives will not be consumed by work. To get there though, creations like me and the other Ascendants are needed. As we grow in power, so to does the chance of succeeding. In order to get there though, sacrifices need to be made. Sacrifices can be mitigated, but not avoided.", continues Diego. His voice conversationally tuned more than preachy.

"For all future endeavors like this, you be informed so as to filter the information as needed. If before Iona's experiments you have told the security chief and he his people, would there not have been other desertions before the experiments began? Iona itself did not even know what it was making. It is like a child newly exposed to the world.", adds Iona.

He also felt the need to bust Tilly's illusions of Sokolov. "As for Dr. Sokolov, one of his agent's shewed me a picture of the foundry above our base on a phone also showing information of a prison holding those loyal to the cause as black mail. The cowboy he sent when we were stealing the algae nearly caused the mission to fail and the counter measures to the sabotage had worse results. A special operations mercenary sent by Sokolov was more useful, but bringing out someone from the hospital not intended exploited Iona's built in weakness. Iona itself likely under command of Sokolov tried to steal from Praetor Null after the Ascension process and was preparing for war to defend itself as if it thought it was right. Either by sending inept agents or ones with mission's hindering ones praetor Null commands, Sokolov is trying to weaken Praetor Null. If he goes directly against Praetor Null, he knows he will lose. I do not doubt the Praetor is aware of Sokolovs actions, but I do not know the mind of Praetor Null and handling Sokolov directly is in his domain.", lays out Diego.

"So, to answer to concern about Sokolov being willing to expose this base, he would directly not. He isn't stupid. One of his agents would or multiple would leave bread crumbs. Stronghold is not stupid. They can follow bread crumbs.", says Diego.
Sakuro

Post by Sakuro »

The Corporeal gave Diego a dubious look as he went from discrediting Dr. Sokolov to explaining how he would always have to work in the shadows and couldn't be present in the future Imperator had promised them. She didn't argue though. Instead she gave a weighty sigh.

"Don't give me The Agent from Serenity speech. Yeah, I've seen that flick. Whatever future we have is going to be shaped by your actions."

She brought her left hand up to the side of her face and, closing her eyes, Tilly began to rub at her temple as though to ward off a migraine.

"This is such a mess. You know this could screw up the recruitment program if they get word? Speaking of which, we still need a place to house them."
Supernaturalist

Post by Supernaturalist »

Iona
HP: 2
VP: 1
Cnd: Normal
PP:0
EP:3
Dominion Point: 0

Monday, April 22, 2019 - ...And I Will Do No Harm...

Iona works tirelessly cleaning her makeshift surgical room, removing the damaged equipment and sterilizing the floor and walls herself. She has spoken only to a few people since the incidents surrounding her recent research. But that cannot be avoided forever. Soon, she will have to return to the infirmary and face her staff, and then there is Major Karlsten, the inspiration for her recent research. How will she react? There are other questions too. Mostly they revolve around getting new equipment to replace that which has been damaged. But there is also the issue of where continued use of this procedure can take place. Will Null allow it to continue here or will it have to take place elsewhere?

Once the private surgical room is acceptably clean, Iona returns to the infirmary, heading straight to her lab. Donning clean scrubs and a lab coat, the beautiful cyborg makes her way to see Valkyrie. "Good morning, Major.", she says as she reviews the nearby clipboard, detailing Valkyrie's medications and status over the last few days. Without looking at the Major, the slightest smile appears on Iona's face. "How are you feeling? You haven't noticed any bed sores developing yet, have you? It's always a concern when a patient spends prolonged periods in bed." The cyborg moves up beside The Major and begins to look over any areas of skin that she can see, checking for pressure ulcers.
OOC: Iona will wait before giving her the pitch again. She doesn't know what Valkyrie has heard about the incident in the base, so she's a little hesitant to jump right in with pushing the procedure right away.
Last edited by Supernaturalist on Thu Mar 09, 2023 11:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
mrdent12

Post by mrdent12 »

Diego Gonzalez

"Even overrated science fiction movies have their good speeches", remarks Diego cheekily. Somehow, Tilly still invoked his former life and it's quirks. He wasn't sure why though. "My actions may shape the future, more than most at times, but becoming what I am makes me more like The Agent than was possible in the movie with a human agent. It is why having you in the role you are is all the more crucial.", adds Diego without carrying the tone change of flattery.

When the topic of recruitment arose, Diego switched gears. "This incident will have many ramifications. The more ramifications or potential ones, the more that can be asked for from Iona in return. Whether it honours the favour we will see. In regards to recruitment, it will already be more difficult from the signs I have seen. Stronghold seems to be enhancing their security and patrols with increasing vigilance among the people of the city, partly due to my campaign to smear Iona. No doubt this will only add to the negative views of the robot.", says Diego. He paused for the briefest of moments to see if Tilly had any reaction to the smear campaign before continuing.

"For housing, we are already setting up recruitment soup kitchen covers. Extending it to housing the downtrodden under some religious faith such as a Christian denomination or other faith that won't raise eyebrows isn't out of line with the soup kitchen cover. There is enough buildings in poor states to utilize them as long as they can be shored up enough to not collapse. The said cover religion could be scouting locations for shelters for preparation to setup makeshift barracks.", adds Diego.
Sakuro

Post by Sakuro »

OOC wrote:Time has advanced for Iona. You missed that in a post or two.

When Iona walks through the halls she finds people avoiding her, much the way they do Diego. They give her strange looks and when the base staff think she isn't within hearing range she hears here name being mentioned. Rumors. Gossip. Fear mongering about her work. With Iona having left the lab vacant for over a week it is populated by her staff busy with their own projects or assignments. All of that stops when Iona enters and everyone stares at her for an uncomfortably long period of time. Eventually one of the more senior members of the group of scientists snaps everyone out of it and they get back to work ... with occasional suspicious glances being cast Iona's way until she eventually leaves.

Someone set up an MP3 player in Maja's private recovery room. When Iona enters she hears the sound of deep rhythmic drumming accompanied by a piano. There is a woman's voice sing and a chorus of men chanting. Iona cannot understand the words. It is the same, or similar to what she has heard the Major speak. There is a primal element to the music that conjures images of pagan rites in temperate isolated woodlands. Maja herself is sparing at the wall opposite her, almost as though she were staring through it to some other place.

Valkyrie hasn't been neglected in Iona's absence. Her hygiene and grooming have been tended to. Her braids are even renewed. Even hospitalized and immobilized the woman has an unbroken pride and air of nobility about her. It isn't until Iona is at her bedside that she pulls free of her thoughts and shifters her blue eyes over to the cyborg.

"Good day doctor."

... the Major greeted Iona in that accented voice of her's before answering the question that had been posed to her. Though from her visual inspection it looks as though measures have been taken to keep bed sores from forming.

"It is difficult to tell. When the drugs start to wear thin most everything hurts."

The Corporal gave a low 'hm' sound when Diego called Serenity overrated. She didn't comment though. She became more vocal when the Ascendant tlaked about his smear campaign against Iona, which seemed more worthy of argument than just manipulating her.

"Admittedly Sokolov has to be working his own schemes. Sure. But smearing Iona doesn't seem like the best strategy. She's heavily linked to you and from what you've told me the Praetor wants you to train her up and turn her. Maybe I don't see everything you see though ..."

She trailed off at that. As if suddenly reminded of Diego's transhuman Ascension. She was quiet ... thoughtful ... after that. She listened to Diego's plan about expanding the soup kitchen recruitment program into something more. Tilly didn't interject and even remained silent for a bit after Diego had finished talking before she herself said more.

"Building off of the soup kitchen infrastructure is a good way to keep it under the radar without pulling them into the base proper. It would take work and I don't just mean setting up housing. You are talking about creating cover IDs and creating or piggybacking off an organization. That's more complicated than finding people a place to sleep. Might have more long term usability though."

OOC wrote:It feels like you are aiming to use some Dominion on the endeavor. We will need to discuss exactly what you are aiming to do. Building housing is one thing. Setting up a fake organization is another. You can do it, but we need to nail down the specifics.
Supernaturalist

Iona

"It is difficult to tell. When the drugs start to wear thin most everything hurts."
"Well, Major, it is my hope that you will not need to suffer through the recovery process much longer." Iona stands with her hands resting on the bed's guard-rails beside Valkyrie. "Since I last saw you, I have spent the whole of my time refining the musculoskeletal rejuvenation process which I mentioned to you earlier. As expected, there were some complications. But those setbacks revealed critical issues with the procedure which needed to be addressed. In short, the refined procedure has not only been a success, but one that has been brought in line with the safety of other standard medical procedures."

Clasping her dainty, unblemished hands together, Iona stares intently into the Major's eyes. "I have the capability of rapidly improving your recovery. It is not out of the question to have you healed and mostly rehabilitated within the next couple of days. All I need is your consent."
OOC: I changed the date on the previous post to reflect the present day.
Sakuro

Post by Sakuro »

Though the remainder of her does not move, Maja follows Iona's movements with her eyes. When the cyborg shares the news of her breakthrough Major Karlsten closed her eyes. He let out a slow breath, as though in relief.

"You work very quickly Doctor."

When her eyes opened again there was a stoniness to the warrior woman. The momentary glimpse of relief gone from her demeanor.

"I have heard your work is unsafe, and that the recent commotion in this base was related to your labors."

There was no accusation in her tone. She was making a statement and watching Iona's reaction to it.

OOC wrote:Originally, Valkyrie would have consented to the procedure without issue. However, Diego has poured venom in her ears, making her distrust Iona. There are also the fearful whisperings of your base personnel, though she puts less stock in that than a person of high rank saying "don't trust Iona".
mrdent12

Post by mrdent12 »

Diego Gonzalez

"Sometimes to turn people it is not always training or kindness. Train up an enemy agent while helping them meet their own goals and their masters reward them more. Work to ruin them in the eyes of their masters in the background while training them and when the are ruined they look to you. Both approaches have their place and Iona hasn't seemed to respond to nicer approach well. Despite my efforts to turn it through assistance, I have seen no signs will definitely break from Sokolov. So, now is the time to try to the ruin approach or at least discredit it in it's masters eyes. If it gets viewed as a liability, Praetor Null might seem like an enticing benfactor.", responds Diego to Tilly's remark to turning Iona.

Changing back to the topic of housing, Diego adopts a relaxed like body posture. Ordinarily, he was in control of all his movements calculating them for a desired effect. This movement was almost instinctual like his previous life. "There could be other uses for a seemingly legitimate organization than simply housing our forces. Our time is limited though and I do not have the full information on contacts in this city. So, if we must forgo setting up a cover organization, extending the base in some fashion or utilizing existing structures with guards posted will need to do. I have been absent from the base and focused on my other endeavors, so I rely on your council on the viability of the latter option.", says Diego.
Supernaturalist

Iona

"I have heard your work is unsafe, and that the recent commotion in this base was related to your labors."
Iona looks away from Valkyrie's face as she turns and walks slowly to the foot of the bed. "There are always unforeseen difficulties before profound breakthroughs are achieved, Major." Her soft voice belies a stoic, introspective tone. "Yes, I underestimated the initial difficulties of the procedure. But I knew the foundation was sound; and I knew that it would ultimately succeed. It was only a question of what minor modifications were to be made."

When she reaches the foot of the bed, the beautiful cyborg turns back to face her patient. "You are the inspiration for the procedure, Major Karlsten. Getting you healed quickly and back in service of Imperator's Cause is worth almost any price I must pay. I understand your reservations, but the danger now - after the procedure has been refined - is less than the general anesthesia you must undergo in order to receive it."

Iona pauses unsure of whether she should continue to press Valkyrie or simply leave her to think. "I shall leave you to reflect a bit longer. No procedure is without risk. But the rewards of this Regenerative Transfusion are well beyond any small risk of malmutation...at least...as I see it. But it is your body and your future that is at stake, not mine."

Again Iona pauses. There is a brief, awkward silence. She turns to leave before halting and looking back to Major Karlsten. "There is one other issue that I've been meaning to address. Your battle-armor was heavily damage. It may be completely useless in its current state, but I removed and cleaned it off the best I could. It is currently stored and guarded by one of my security droids. There may be someone under Praetor Null who is capable of repairing it. If not, then I could mention you and the state of your armor to Doctor Sokolov when I see him next. I do not know if he is able or even willing to repair it. But I doubt that there is any better engineer on this planet than him. Even if he is capable and willing, he may very well request some form of payment for his time and material resources. Think about it. You do not have to give me your answer now. Rest."

Iona then turns to leave.
OOC: The reason I mentioned Null having someone who might be able to repair Valkyrie's battle-suit is because I'm thinking of Ascendant Ezima. I know that character has not been played by someone in ages, but I did not want to assume that the character just no longer exists. If Iona knew that someone at the base could repair it, then she would give Diego the chance to direct Valkyrie to them. Iona would not want to provoke Diego after he has helped her so much with her recent research.
Sakuro

Post by Sakuro »

The Corporal listened to Diego's explination of social manupulation. Really listened. Absorbed it. There was a thoughtful look on her face as she considered what the master spy had shared with her. She didn't comment further, instead allowing the conversation shift with that bit of insight having been bestowed upon her.

She already had a response for Diego. Not that she was preparing one, but rather that she seemed to have thought on the matter at length and the ideas already seemed to be formed in the woman's head. Ready for discourse.

"The quick thing would be to fix up buildings in our Ward and put people in them. Keeps them close too. Thing is, Stronghold is moving into the area more. But that is where the cover organization you talked about could come in. It'd explain the building renovations and why homeless people are filling up the space."

"There is another complication to consider. Towards the beginning of the month you told me about a conversation you had with Ascendant Chen. He told you Stronghold was going to start putting some kind of ID chips in people who live in Hadron City. That's supposed to start rolling out the start of next month. If our soldiers are known, living in those buildings, Stronghold is going to have them chipped. Expanding our base to hold fifty thousand more people would be a lot of work. Months that we don't have. But it would keep them under the radar if we did somehow manage to accomplish it."

Valkyrie is silent as Iona says her peace. Those blue-gray eyes of her's studying the doctor/scientist. They watch her, reading her demeanor, expression, and body language with the stoicism of a warrior analyzing the disposition of an opponent. Given her condition, there is very little movement form Maja as Iona moved from bedside to foot of the bed. Just her eyes, following the android's patch.

She remained silent, even as Iona moved to the door. Paused, then talked of her damaged armor. It seemed Iona would indeed be leaving without the Major's consent. As she opened the door to leave she heard Maja's voice behind her.

"How soon can my armor be repaired? "

When Iona turned to offer a reply she could see Valkyrie laying her head back and closing her eyes. Without allowing time for a response, she continued to speak.

"I expect I will have use for it after the procedure. "

With her eyes closed and head reclined, it looked as though she were going to take Iona's advice and rest.

OOC wrote:Iona didn't produce a convincing argument or supply proof of any kind. She was honest, earnestly trying to help the Major, and rather than pressure her Iona supplied options. It also helps that Iona is trying to treat her equipment with respect and keeping them from being pilfered. This left Valkyrie halfway between "yes" and "no". So I flipped a coin to see which way she would finally go.

If there is nothing more you want to play out in this specific scene ... how would you like to wrap this story up with Iona successfully performing her experimental Regenerative Transfusion procedure on Valkyrie?
Supernaturalist

Iona
VP: 0

Iona’s medical staff is already on edge, unsure of what questionable scientific activities the beautiful cyborg might undertake. When she begins to procure more medical equipment for her isolated surgical room, there is no doubt that Iona is on the verge of another experiment.

Shortly before the procedure begins, Iona has a couple of orderlies move Major Karlsten from her bed onto a stretcher. But they do not bring her to the prepared room. Instead, Iona comes for Valkyrie personally. A pre-anesthesia sedative is applied to Karlsten’s IV tube, and within 10 minutes the fierce warrior is in a state of shallow, relaxed consciousness. With her magnetic-manipulation power, the cyborg slowly pushes the stretcher out of the infirmary and down the hallway. Walking just behind the stretcher, she pushes the wheeled IV-stand herself.

As they both enter the room, the operating table is in plain view with a large curtain just on the other side. The stretcher is pushed right up against the table; and then Iona shuts and locks the door securely behind her. Metal clamps are manipulated by Iona’s magnetic power to pull Major Karlsten gently by means of a drawsheet from her stretcher to the table. Once she is sure that Valkyrie is comfortable, the general anesthesia is applied, and the warrior drifts into deep unconsciousness.

With Valkyrie unaware of her environment, Iona then pulls back the curtain. On the other side is a gagged “donor”. The brutal process of extracting hormones and dissolved bones and muscles begins. The donor’s agony is only bearable for Iona because she is convinced of his guilt for opposing The Cause. Of course, Iona never carefully investigates whether the donor is an enemy of Imperator. For her own peace of mind, she trusts Diego to kidnap only clearly identified foes.

To further reduce the risk of adverse mutations, Iona is willing to extend the healing process to a couple of days instead of just one. The volatile component of the Regenerative Transfusion, namely the reptile DNA, is modified to cease replication after 48 hours. The patient’s well-being is too valuable to leave much to chance. And the longer that component continues to replicate, the longer unexpected changes to Valkyrie’s own DNA could occur.

The donor’s body finally goes into shock after about of hour of “extraction”. What follows are several more hours of cautious, measured infusion of the healing fluid into Major Karlsten’s body. The Major is kept unconscious until the process is complete. Finally, another hour of suturing to close the Aorta and the pathway made to it. Once done, Iona sits by Valkyrie’s side during the phase of post-anesthesia recovery. The only other concern is making sure that the curtain is drawn back again to hide the shriveled husk of humanity left lying on the donor-table.
OOC: I have spent Iona’s villain point in order to successfully complete the procedure.
Sakuro

Post by Sakuro »

OOC wrote:The following was written by Kensiedo. He asked me to post this on his behalf. Here we get a glimpse into what guest star Aiden Starr is up to while Diego is kidnapping innocence and Iona is experimenting on them.

For the scene write up I'm awarding Aiden an additional +1 HP next time he takes part in a proper adventure/mission with the main cast.
Tuesday, April 16, 2019 - How To Make Friends

The van pulls to a stop and Aiden looks in the back. Four men laying around in the back of the old cargo van all wearing a black t-shirt and camo pants. Aiden was similarly dressed, thought he wasn't sure where the Molex vest they handed him was.

"We're here."

The four men in the back start gathering their gear. One of them moves up to the front and sits in the passenger seat.

"Okay, so here's the plan. We'll go in through the alley and downstairs. The party will be a good place to mingle while we make sure the target is on-site."

"Have fun."

The older man looks confused. "You're not coming with us?"

Aiden looks down the alley and then back at the man. Slate. "Uhhh... no."

Slate looks at him waiting for the punchline. After some time, he finally asks, "Seriously."

Aiden just nods. Slate rolls his eyes. "All right. Let's move out."

"I'll park over there behind the dumpster."

Slate waves the young man off as the four-man team disembarks. Aiden patiently sits there until the men are down the alley and through the door. He mentally counts to twenty as he watches to see if they pop right back out again.

Wouldn't be the first time.

Finally, he puts the van in gear and positions it down the side alley behind the dumpster.

"I thought they would never leave." Aiden smiles over at Shrike sitting in the passenger seat.

"Yeah," he says reaching down between his seat and door.

"You've got to be kidding," Shrike says pulling on his opposite arm, trying to get him to get out of his seat.

"Nope. Dr Sokolov said he was going to start testing me... whatever the hell that means."

"So we have a couple of hours of alone time, and you're going to spend it reading a book about..." Shrike leans over to look at the title. "...winning friends? Who is this Carnegie bloke, anyway."

Aiden shrugs. "No idea. Supposed to be a classic. Or whatever."

Shrike gets up and moves into the back as Aiden settles in to read this "classic."

"Well, at least these pigs aren't dirtying up my cargo hold." The back was littered with power bar wrappers and empty water bottles, along with random magazines and whatnot.

"We're ferried worse."

"Don't remind me." There is a bit of a pause. "Found your vest."

"Yeah." He didn't even want to know.

------------------------------------

Aiden hears the door open and quickly slides the book back down in it's hiding place.

Slate climbs into the back of the van and shouts, "Go!"

Aiden looks confused as his eyes scan the alley for three other men.

"I said Go!"

"The others?"

"Just go!"

Aiden sighs and starts up the van and pulls it out onto the side street. He immediately begins scanning the streets and side mirrors for any kind of pursuit.

Slate slumps into the passenger seat. "That was an unmitigated disaster."

Well, d'uh, Aiden thinks. You walked into a party dressed like soldiers. What did you think was going to happen?

Before Aiden can voice his thoughts, his eyes scan down at the book between the seat and door.

"It... couldn't have been... that bad. I mean, you made it out." His mind races for some positive spin on this. "You must have some... intel?"

Slate just looks at him. "Intel? Like the person who betrayed us?"

Aiden raises an eyebrow. "Betrayed you? What do you mean?"

Aiden's eyes continue dart around the area, still looking for someone following them. That white Buick Lesabre looks suspiscious.

Slate slumps in his seat. "They knew we were coming before we got there. They had everything about us."

Hmm, if they were blown before they arrived, no amount of proper clothing would have helped. This might be a very different conversation.

Aiden makes a sharp right and then a left. Then he slows down and waits. The LeSabre comes barreling around the corner behind them.

"Well, how would you like a second chance to complete your mission?"

Slate looks confused.

------------------------------------

Aiden stands in the back of the room as Slate gives Dr Sokolov a rundown of the mission. Dr Sokolov's attention seems to be focused on the device they recovered.

"And after the kid crashed into the tail, we took down the two people in the car. I was able to encourage them to tell me where the doodad was. We tracked back and caught them by surprise."

Dr. Sokolov continues looking at the device while Slate finishes his explanation. Aiden had really wanted to look at it, but he didn't push it with Slate.

"And how did he do?"

Slate points his thumb back at Aiden. "The kid was amazing. Behind the wheel and even when we had to take down security."

"I mean the other thing."

"What? Oh, the party?" Slate looks back at Aiden and then back at Dr Sokolov. "Yeah, he was good. Low key, mingling with the crowd. Maybe a little work on small talk."

Dr Sokolov's eyes rise from the item he is holding and stares at Slate. Aiden's eyes go a bit wide, but only for a second. Slate is covering for me?

"Fine. You're dismissed. Aiden, stay for a moment."

Slate nods and turns to leave. He pauses when he reaches Aiden, putting his hand on the young man's shoulder and makes eye contact with him. There is a subtle nod between the two of them. Finally, the soldier leaves.

Dr Sokolov cuts right to the chase. "I need you to deliver this to a lab in Canada."

"Canada? So..."

"Yes. You will need to take Shrike."

Aiden holds back the smile as best he can.

"Immediately."

"Yes, sir."
mrdent12

Post by mrdent12 »

Diego Gonzalez

"Stronghold chips will certainly be an issue. If any of the current base personnel or you are found without a chip, building the forces will be more difficult. I will look into a solution for that problem. Between the resources available to Iona and I, we should be able to resolve the issue or mitigate it. With Stronghold increasing their presence here, moving 50,000 soldiers in and out of the base if we expand it substantially will also draw some unfortunate attention to the ingress and egress used. At least with the surface housing and cover as housing for the poor, if we can handle the chip issue, our main base is less exposed.", speaks Diego out loud.

In a rare moment of compassion or maybe selfishness, Diego asks an additional question. "I might be able to still get around. Have you thought of how you will navigate? Once the roll out is complete, anyone not chipped will likely be chipped or interrogated why not.", inquires Diego.
Sakuro

Post by Sakuro »

The Corporal lets out a puff of air when the question is posed about her own mobility.

"The entire city won't be chipped in one day. It will take a little while. But unless an emergency situation worth the risk arises everyone is going to have to be confined to the base. The Forgotten Ones are probably going to have to move into the Under City, and I expect the casualties to be high when they do unless we can work out something with the First Generation. They don't like you and informing them about the Forgotten Ones would give them up as spies."

The right corner of her lips scrunch up into her cheek. IT was an odd expression. Certainly not a positive one though.

"One way or another the Forgotten Ones are going to get hit hard by this chipping and with the rest of us confined to base we won't be able to provide you with much field support or intel."

Tilly went quiet for a second. Just looking at Diego. Then she suddenly blurt out ...

"Have you even told Iona about the chipping?"