[IC] MnM 3e - In the Shadow of Imperator: Deadline

For all of your Play-By-Post games.
Sakuro

Re: [IC] MnM 3e - In the Shadow of Imperator: Jaguar Hunt

Post by Sakuro »

With discussion out of the way Diego goes ahead of the others. Once out of sight he rids himself of the weight of his solid form. Dispersing into a loose nanite cloud he floats amidst the darkness. Though he is unable to recall any particular terrain features that may be advantageous for their return to the HQ, he estimates that Stronghold will likely take a direct route to the source of guns fight, explosions, and strange phenomena. Given the severity of the situation, they're guaranteed to shoot first, and pack some heavy fire power. Though the terrain demands they employ infantry and not vehicles, they could still bring some Hadron-tech to bear. Taking an indirect route back to the HQ could aid in avoiding them. If you don't draw attention to yourselves somehow.

Aiden holds onto the sides of the chair in an effort to keep from falling of of it when Iona raises it off of the ground. Given his physically fragile his state is, a strong breeze could probably knock his off kilter. Cautious of the man's condition, as well as John vulnerability on the dark, Iona leads the two men, even as she follow Diego's directions. She relies on his words over a burner phone, or face to face reports when he come back to her after some scouting, because once he enters the darkness the Ascendant is gone from sight.

The first leg of your trip is the roughest, as you gravitate through the worst of the loose rubble hills. John has an idea why it is so bad: it was the epicenter of the battle between Dr. Impossible and Praetor Null, when Null brought some unfathomable horror down from the sky on his enemy. Rather than being distracted by memories of the event, adrenaline pumps through him. Priming him for action. Readying him to act or respond quickly. His footing is sure as he moves through the darkness, but ne notices Iona's isn't. She puts her foot on the wrong slab, it teeters and falls, threatening to take her down in a small avalanche of debris.
OOC wrote:Iona goes from Fatigued to Exhausted.

Iona, make a DC 15 Dodge or Acrobatics check. If you fail, follow that up with a DC 20 Toughness check. If you take damage, make a Will save DC 15 to keep from dropping the chair Aiden is on.

John is holding onto Iona for guidance. If she falls, take a HP as John is pulled down with her. Make the same DC 15 Dodge/Acrobatics and DC 20 Toughness check if you fail the Dodge/Acrobatics check.
Evelyn Gracen, in AEGIS Squad
Storyteller for In the Shadow of Imperator
Storyteller for Geneforge: the Created
Supernaturalist

Post by Supernaturalist »

Iona
HP: 1
VP: 1
Cnd: -5 to Damage Checks; Exhausted
PP:0
EP:3
OOC: Ok, Iona has no HPs to mitigate some bad rolls. So she's at the mercy of the dice. Since she is now Exhausted, she is at -2 circumstance bonus to all relevant checks. Here's the Dodge roll: Dodge Roll for Iona in Ward 3: 1d20+6 8. So, an 8. That's a definite fail. Here's the Damage Check: Damage Check from Falling: 1d20+8 18. So, an 18 (or 16 if the circumstance modifier applies to this check). Either way it is a further -1 to future Damage Checks. Here is the Will check to keep from dropping Aiden: Will check to keep from dropping Aiden: 1d20+4 18. An 18. She manages to not drop Aiden. Iona acquires an HP for her troubles.

I'll go ahead and include John's rolls in this post. Here is his Dodge check to avoid falling: Ddoge Roll for John in Ward 3: 1d20+8 19. So, a 19. John just manages to let go before being drug down with her.
In her taxed condition, Iona struggles to maintain Aiden, lead John, and maintain her footing at the same time. Suddenly, a seemingly secure area of street gives way to an apparent sewer area below, crumbling beneath her feet. Though the collapse is only a few feet, a chunk of reinforced concrete collapses sideways, rolling over her left leg and ankle. As it bounces off her foot and rolls further down into the hole, it further damages her superstructure and surrounding circuits in that extremity. Concentrating to maintain Aiden, she manages to keep him aloft as more damage reports flood the HUD integrated into her vision.

She freezes for a moment caught off guard by the sudden collapse. When she is confident that she is falling no further, she holds up her hands as if to signal that she is still alright. "I...I am still functional...at present. I must be more wary of compromised pavement from here forward. My frame is dangerously weakened and cannot endure much more extreme punishment."
mrdent12

Post by mrdent12 »

Diego Gonzalez
HP: 2->1
CND: Haunted, -1 toughness
Form: Solid

Diego assumes a solid form in the shadows and steps out heading back to Iona. "If you are unable to carry Aiden and our other comrade, I can help carry Aiden. We can't have you falling too right now. Not with Stronghold getting so close.", says Diego when close enough to have his words not having to be yelled. He only gives Iona a moment to respond before heading back to scout ahead or help. Either way, he was going to get Aiden back. John, if he fell, it would be an inconvenient conversation with Chen, but nothing major. Iona falling, that would get dicey.
Supernaturalist

Iona
HP: 0

Her power reserves are dangerously taxed, and she has sustained significant damage. But Iona does not want to distract Diego from his reconnoitering duty. "I can make it.", she says in a meek voice that does not exactly instill confidence.

She steps up slowly out of the collapsed portion of street and continues to follow him again. Though she likens it to riding a unicycle while juggling, the damaged cyborg does her best to follow DIego, levitate Aiden, and guide John at the same time.
Edit: I removed the HP from Iona. I'll add it to John's when I post for him next.
Sakuro

Post by Sakuro »

Iona is suffering. In her state, just getting out of the hole is an ordeal in her current situation. Diego is entirely unsympathetic. John is silent. Aiden is barely conscious. There is no succor for the cyborg, despite all she has endured for the mission to be successful. Further, having fallen into the sewer, now she stinks something awful. The smell is something John and Aiden are forced to endure as they rely on her to lead or carry them onward.

Acting as outrider, Diego gets to avoid these things. Even when he get's close, he doesn't have to breath, which is of extra benefit in this instance. He guides his companions along an indirect route away the easiest to travel sections of the Ward leading to the former Jaguar den. In doing so the Ascendant ensures that his group does not come into contact with Stronghold forces. All that remains is to decide how to handle bringing Aiden into the base.
OOC wrote:Even though there were some poor Stealth rolls, Diego's Expertise Military check ensures that you are able to steer clear of Stronghold on your return to the base. No other issues arise on your trip.

However, do you want to reveal the location of your HQ to Aiden?
Last edited by Sakuro on Fri Oct 29, 2021 3:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
mrdent12

Post by mrdent12 »

Diego Gonzalez
CND: Haunted

Once Iona seems stable enough walking, Diego presses ahead scouting to ensure no surprises. If she was trying to be a hero, prove herself, or was just stupid wasn't Diegos concern so long as she could do her job. Repairing her was between Dr. Sokolov and her. The plus side of Iona walking it off, so to speak was avoiding a chat with Chen on why his liaison had died on the mission.

Before getting too close to the base indirect entrance Diego had everyone pause for a moment. They had to bring Aiden into the base for treatment. A dead arms dealer after all this effort was pointless. Quickly checking around, Diego found the remains of a bag or sack. Ward 3 wasn't known for the most tidy of denizens, so the bag he found wasn't terribly sanitary or optimal to place over someones head. It would do the trick though. Ignoring any objections if raised from Aidan or Iona, Diego put the bag over Aidans head making sure he could still breathe. It was an old spook trick Diego had been subject to and did to other people.

"When we get into the safe place, Aidan will need to get treated immediately. Once he is well enough, we will talk about our business with him.", remarks Diego with Aidan's head covered. When everyone was ready, Diego headed back into the base.
If needed, I'll spend a HP for a suitable bag. I figure if the bag over a head works in all those covert ops movies and stories I heard from some mates, it will work on Aidan.
Supernaturalist

John Steiner
HP:4
Cnd: Mentally Impaired

If John had been a little more alert, perhaps he could have prevented Iona from dropping down into the "sinkhole". Perhaps...but she can handle having blocks of concrete and rebar roll over her....I can't. Better her than me.

Unfortunately, the raggedy cyborg now smells like she's been dipped in raw sewage. Now John has to keep ahold of her as she leads him back the rest of the way. He nearly vomits on several occasions from the prolonged exposure to the rank odor.

Damn, I can't wait to get back to base and get away from these two "super-thugs". Everytime I have to hang out with them for too long they make me miserable. I sure could use a visit with that hot little redheaded dancer. Of course now that my face has been all over the news, I have about of much chance of waking up next to her as I do Megan Fox....*sigh*
Supernaturalist

Iona

When Diego orders the group to a halt, the young cyborg obliges. Though battered and drained of energy, she recognizes the need to keep the location of the base secret.

So close to "home", she wonders if the task was worth it. Sure the group survived, and they did manage to retrieve a valable contact. They also located a potentially valuable new facility for their use. But it now seems to Iona that a valuable asset has eluded their grasp, namely the device with the Jaguar-Man now possesses. Perhaps it is the very technology that Dr. Sokolov covets.

As she considers the extensive damage she has received and her failure to procure the technology that Dr. Sokolov seeks, she wonders if he will be angry with her. She begins to dread her eventual meeting with her master.
Sakuro

Post by Sakuro »

Aiden gags when you put the disgusting bag over his head, but doesn't protest. Mentally, Iona might note that if she hadn't had reason to ensure the arms dealer's wounds were not infected, she did now.

By the time you reach the guard post just inside the base Corporal Sander is there with a couple extra guards, one of the medical staff with a wheel chair and midkit, and a couple engineers with a gurney. Initially there is a lot of staring at Iona. Then the Corporal makes a gesture towards you and people spring into action. One of the guards and the medic quickly make to maneuver Aiden into the wheel chair while the engineers move up to Iona and offer to help her onto the gurney. The dark skinned, smartly dressed base administrator looks between the damaged Iona and Diego who was wearing an unfamiliar face.

"Anything we need to know?"
mrdent12

Post by mrdent12 »

Diego Gonzalez

Diego nods to Iona. "My sources in area said there was some occurence. People seeing previously deceased friends or family, strange scenes, and other such occurrences. Some of them turned violent. It has attracted the attention of Stronghold who have sent soldiers to investigate. If you haven't already, our fighters should be laying low as much as possible for tonight and probably the day as well. We also left twenty or so dead at the facility we saved this man Aidan. He is badly wounded and looks to be crudely tortured by the Jaguars. He has some connections that can be valuable to us, so once he is reported to be on the mend let me know. e should be monitored at all times.", says Diego.

"Once Aiden is situated we will meet in a scif for debriefing and any discussing any information you have gotten reports on tonight that seemed out of the usual.", adds Diego. For most, he would leave it at that and walk away. Sanders he felt he owed recognition to and a chance to respond if she desired. It was a weakness he couldn't tramp out, yet.

As he spoke, he sent a message over to the Ascendent of Storms, no doubt irritating her, requesting her to convey his request for an audience with Praetor Null at it's connivence to discuss an urgent matter.
Supernaturalist

Iona

Iona allows Aiden to be handed over to the care of her infirmary staff. Though she doesn't say a word, she has taken pride in the professionalism of her staff. The time is soon coming when we must expand or staff. When the fighting begins in earnest, we shall need a medical corps capable of returning the wounded back to the battlefield or into some kind of useful service.

The young cyborg allows the engineering crew to aid her. Her movements are not as fluid and fast as normal; all who watch her can tell that she is not functioning in optimal condition. Her odor is putrid from being partially immersed in sewage. As she reclines on the stretcher, she looks over to one of her transporters. "I should be decontaminated first. Then, please, take me to the infirmary. I'd like to supervise our guest's medical treatment...at least initially."

Iona remains silent and allows the crews to do their work. Her mind races - like it is apt to do - with thoughts on many different subjects simultaneously: Aiden's care, her upcoming meeting with Sokolov, the strange artifact possessed by the Jaguar-Man, the new facility in Ward 3, and her own presently damaged state.
OOC: After Iona is made "presentable" by the technicians in the base, Iona will take some time to inspect Aiden's care. She will then spend some time alone in her lab in order to research any parts of her internal structure which have been exposed from the damage. That would include taking pictures as well as removing any loose materials from her "wounds".
Supernaturalist

John Steiner
HP:4
Cnd: Mentally Impaired

Once back at the base, John waits for any orders from the Dark Ascendant or Iona before proceeding to his quarters. The whole time, he is thinking mostly about what he is going to report to Ascendant Chen. Though embarrassed that he fell prey to the mental assault of whatever force overtook the area, he was hardly alone. This would all be part of his report, which he knew would find its way back up to Praetor Null.

But first things first. He'd just spend a miserable couple of days stumbling in the dark around the rubble-strewn streets of Ward 3. He wants food and beer. It's hard to think straight on an empty stomach. And I need to present a report that won't get me fired at best and tortured at worst.
OOC: John will eat and recuperate in his quarters. He'll type up an electronic document to send to Ascendant Chen. Unfortunately, the "psychic assault" on everyone in the area crippled John's ability to aid in the fighting. John will try to keep it professional - not praising or criticizing The Dark Ascendant or Iona more than they deserve. He will focus a little more on the facility that they found and the mass-effect of the mental attack that blanketed the area. He will note that Iona and Diego were alone without him when they assaulted the base, so he has no knowledge of what specifically happened inside.
mrdent12

Post by mrdent12 »

Diego Gonzalez

Before the others depart, Diego makes sure to mention the debrief in a secure room in two hours. Whether they shewed up or not, he didn't care much. It was more for the general base operational staff and preparations for scoping out the area around the new possible base location. They needed a source of funds. If any part of that base could be salvaged, it would suffice. Out of a strange sense of courtesy, he waited to give Sanders a chance to pose any questions before heading into the base op center to get a briefing on any operationally pertinent information they had on the strange occurrence. Plus, to wait for a response to his meeting request with Praetor Null.
Sakuro

Post by Sakuro »

"We have had some unusual reports in the southern half of the Ward. Some people have came in. I'll send word for people in the field to maintain minimal profile and see if I can get more information to present during the meeting."

The Corporal's words grow faint as Diego reaches out to communicate with Ascendant Costa. The rest of the world fades into the background. Unimportant peripheral stimuli. He has the sense of being in a dark room with doors leading out in five directions. One of them opens and there is a feeling of a violent wind rolling out of it as Costa's voice reaches Diego. Instead of a greeting he receives a reprimand.

"The Praetor is displeased by the broadcast in which you called for an uprising. You have drawn increased attention from outside the city. Fortunately Ascendant Chen has a plan for how you may repair the damage you have done. He will give you the details when you next meet."

There is a momentary pause before the howling wind dies down and something more human, but not entirely so, takes it's place.

"If the matter is urgent, you may speak with me."
OOC wrote:I know part of what you were wanting was to get information from Praetor Null. If you had a Favor to spend, I would give you some juicy lore and helpful information about the Heart. As it is, Diego is in disfavor. He's only going to get what he needs to function in his assigned task.

Aiden and Iona are soon transported out of the room with Aiden heading to the infirmary under guard and Iona being taken to the workshop where Peter use to operate out of in his free time. There she is cleaned with some specialized tools and while no actual repairs can be made due to the advanced technology her body is composed of, some very basic patch work is done to keep thing s from getting worse by accident. It was equivalent to applying band aids. While curious about Iona' as she is about herself, the engineers try not to be intrusive. Their work does take time, however. By the time they have finished working on her Aiden is already being treated by her staff in the infirmary.
OOC wrote:Getting tended to by the engineers, then seeing to Aiden will take up all of Iona's time before the meeting.

When John finishes his latest report he receives a response a short time later. The response is brief, expressing thanks for his reports, and informing him that Ascendant Chen will be arriving at the base in a couple days.
mrdent12

Post by mrdent12 »

Diego Gonzalez

Before responding to Costa, Diego takes a moment to address Sanders. "It is good you and the base personnel were not effected. I need to attend to other matters, but if any of our operatives were in the south half I would appreciate their status as well.", says Diego. The first bit, if his voice wasn't being actively modulated, would have sounded like genuine concern. The last bit was more for practical reasons. He had his eyes and people society forgot that were clearly effected, but the cause could not afford to lose any more fighters. Not when they were closer to acquiring weapons.

As Diego makes his way back into the base into his 10x10 completely dark room devoid of all light he responds to Costas. The broadcast content was an unfortunate miscalculation in playing damage control from Iona's recklessness. It should have implicated the Jaguars or some other group. As for the matter I wished to speak with my master concerning, it was in regards to an artifact, a black beating heart that I apparently pulled from deep under the ground while in a hallucinating state that swept over the southern half of Ward 3. A mutated Jaguar managed to grab it and escape before I could get it back., broadcasts Diego.

Costas was clearly trying to intimidate him. It wasn't working. He also doubted she would have the information he sought, but he would get it and the heart one way or another. If it took wiping out room after room of Jaguars for it, so be it.
I didn't know if you wanted to play out the debrief in the scif or if an info dump type post would be fine. As for the disposition of the other facility, I am fine RPing out the discussion after figuring it out OOC or having it hashed out between scenes.