For all of your Play-By-Post games.
Supernaturalist

Re: [IC] MnM 3e - In the Shadow of Imperator: Jaguar Hunt

Post by Supernaturalist »

John Steiner
HP:4
Cnd: Mentally Impaired
PP:0

John sits silently as his two paranormal superiors make the case about who should get the old Jaguar facility. This is something I'm steering clear of. In fact, it's probably good not to have an opinion on it one way or the other.

John is determined to steer clear of the political questions of the Cause as much as possible. That stuff is above his pay-grade. He wasn't sure who deserved to get the facility and he didn't care as long as the Cause remains strong.
mrdent12

Post by mrdent12 »

Diego Gonzalez
HP: 1
CND: Haunted
Form: Solid
PP: 1 unspent

Diegos voice changes from the more human sounding one, for Tilly's sake, back to his native cold and emotionless voice. He had played on Iona's doubts of Sokolov too strongly and knew it. "We do not need a a special drug. People will pay well for regular street drugs we can do initial sales of to fund further drug production once the facility is cleared and secured as much as it can be.", states Diego. His tone isn't terrifying, but cadence is adjusted to make sure each word in the first sentence is pronounced. Praetor Null may have instructed him to cooperate, but he wasn't going to give Dr. Sokolov anything he wasn't instructed.

"Conducting the sort of experiments Sokolov does will also possibly draw attention to the area even more. Just another drug lab will most likely only draw the attention of the Jaguars who would be our competition in the drug trade or narcotic investigators of Stronghold. While Praetor Null would likely have good use for the facility, he may possibly not begrudge us from using it for our own purposes to generate an income so long as we do not disrupt his plans further. An initial scout of the facility, assuming it is clear of the gas will give us a better assessment of what we are working with.", continues Diego clearly avoiding giving Sokolov his proper title and using Nulls.

That old adage of the enemy of my enemy is my friend rang in Diegos mind. In this case, friend was a loose term for Diego.
Sakuro

Post by Sakuro »

The Corporal's gaze settles into the space between Iona and Diego as the conversation shift to their debating between the two of them. Though her eyes tend to shift towards Iona more often. After Diego's rebuttal to Iona's proposal Tilly interjects.

"If you are in agreement about using the site for a drug lab, I'll dispatch a team to check it out once things have calmed down and we're sure Stronghold won't be returning."

While waiting for confirmation on that, the door to the conference room opens and a middle aged blonde haired woman wearing simple jeans and a t-shirt enters. The woman walks over to Sander and leans down to speak quietly with the dark skinned woman. Then she leaves the room. Once she is gone Tilly speaks up, her attention back on those at the table.

"The man you brought back with you is awake. If you want to talk to him he should be up for a brief chat."
OOC wrote:As a reminder, you are going to need 2 Dominion for the drug lab plus city wide network. You are also going to need 2 Dominion for the recruiting and training of an army. So far Iona has put forth 1 towards the drug lab and city wide network.
Evelyn Gracen, in AEGIS Squad
Storyteller for In the Shadow of Imperator
Storyteller for Geneforge: the Created
Supernaturalist

Iona
VP: 1
Cnd: -5 to Damage Checks; Exhausted
EP:3
Dominion Point: 1

Iona's facial expression is difficult to gleen given the extensive damage to her appearance, but she speaks in her usual calm voice. "I'm in no position to make demands for The Doctor. I shall mention the facility to him upon my next visit. I have no idea if he will show any interest in the base whatsoever. He may very well view it as an unnecessary distraction from his current research. But I feel obligated to at least mention its existence as well as the beneficial features it possesses."

The cyborg then looks to Corporal Tilly with her next question. "Might you have some rough estimate on how soon the facility could be secured? Within the next month perhaps? I'd like to have as much information to give Dr. Sokolov as possible."

When Tilly mentions that Aiden is awake, Iona looks back to Diego. "Do you intend to speak with him now? Might I accompany you when you meet with him?"
mrdent12

Post by mrdent12 »

Diego Gonzalez

"I would expect nothing less from something programmed by Sokolov.", responds Diego to Iona in his native cold voice. While having a face, he makes no shifting of its expression to give anything any signs of contempt, annoyance, or anything else. He made the calculating move of either driving Iona closer to Sokolov or making her thinking about having more doubts.

Next turning to Tilly, Diego is more clear in his instructions and as a way to respond to Iona. "As soon as it is safe to investigate please do so. It is already getting more dangerous with our infirmary filling up. Adding more to the injured list is not worth securing a drug lab.", remarks Diego in a Spaniard type voice with a hint of friendliness to it.

Turning back to look at Iona, Diego resumes his native voice and complete lack of expression. "Yes, I am going to speak with him now. The sooner we get information from him the better. You can join as you wish."
Sakuro

Post by Sakuro »

The Corporal doesn't answer Iona's question right away. She appears introspective for a moment, thinking n her response before anwsering. But when she does her big brown eyes are on Iona.

"I'm not sure what state the place is in, so I cannot give a solid answer to that. Going off what you've said, if it's mostly just toxic fumes and some superficial damage, we might be able to have the place up and running within two week to a month. On the plus side, it will give our people something to do while they are laying low and waiting for Stronghold's attention to move elsewhere."

When Iona and Diego leave for the infirmary they find it active with staff talking over one another and moving injured people into beds, or rushing to taken care of a given emergency that just sprung up. There are no private rooms. The most privacy a patient can hope for is a curtain around their bed. Stationed inside the door of the infirmary are two guards that are mostly keeping tabs on the bed where a nurse directs you to you arms dealer guest.

Aiden is covered in bandages and tubes are sprouting from both arms. Over his mouth is a breathing mask, which feeds oxygen into his damaged lungs. When you arrive his eyes are half open, and staring up at the ceiling. They're irritated and bloodshot.
mrdent12

Post by mrdent12 »

Diego Gonzalez

Diego departed the room with a nod to Iona. "I will join you in the infirmary in a moment. I need to discuss the disposition of our forces for security with Corporal Sanders.", Diego says to Iona and John as they depart. There was matters best left outside of Ionas ears and her reports to Sokolov.

Once everyone departed and the scif door closed, Diego spoke candidly to Tilly. "Finding that black heart mentioned and where the Jaguars are keeping it is of utmost importance. It could be something that helps turn the tide of our battle or our downfall at the hands of our enemies. I have discussed it with another Ascendent already, but as it is safe information on the heart and its whereabouts is of primary importance.", says Diego. In a rare moment of breaking his cold demeanor, Diego adds something extra. "It is also of vital importance to me. If any leads come in, do not share them with Iona or anyone outside of your trusted circle.", adds Diego.

After saying his peace to Sanders, Diego heads over to the arms dealer. Being in his solid form for some long as labourious, but had to be done if he was going to keep the arms dealer at ease. His form had shifted back to his previous visage of Diego complete with the "uniform" of jeans, white tshirt, and black leather jacket. "I am glad you survived and we got you out in time. Some of my soldiers said you were trying to help them out when you were ambushed. Anyone aiding our cause if a friend of mine.", begins Diego in a comforting tone. "Now that we have gotten you to safety, I believe you will make a full recovery. I know you may have many questions and I will answer what I can, but I must ask first what was the Jaguars asking of you and what did you tell them?", inquires Diego.
Persuasion 25 to attenuate his tone, facial expressions, etc just right to put the man more at ease and cooperative
Supernaturalist

Iona

Iona arrives at the infirmary ahead of Diego. Making sure that she is clothed in a lab coat and scrubs, she approaches the arms-dealer's bedside. Though she trusts her medical staff, she double-checks Aiden's chart and vitals-monitors herself. She looks up from the chart at her patient. "It looks like you are due for continuation of your sedative in a few hours. Has the dosage been enough to bring you comfort? We could probably go a little higher if you feel you need it."

Iona is concerned about the patients well-being, but she is also angling to lower Aiden's conscious inhibitions (thus making him more forthcoming during questioning).

"Is there anything else I can get you? Food? A heated blanket? The infirmary is notoriously cold."
OOC: Iona will attempt to relax Aiden and prep him for Diego's questioning.
Sakuro

Post by Sakuro »

Tilly rises from her seat, tablet in hand, when the meeting wraps up. She paused at the table when Diego made it clear he wanted to speak with her before they parted way. She watches him with her big brown eyes, attentively listening, as he talks about the Black Heart. Eventually she offers a slow nod of acknowledgement after the personal importance of finding the object.

"I'll see about getting some low profile assets on this Romper's trail before it runs cold."
OOC wrote:In case I forget, after the dialog with Aiden, Tilly will approach Diego with her findings. Which she had to spend her 1 HP on to get.

She was able to get a description and license plate number for a car that Romper was picked up by, just outside of the Ward. She suspects the vehicle was stolen. But it has been seen going between Ward 3 and Ward 23 frequently in the last week.

When Iona shows up to check on her VIP patient Aidne initially jerk in sock of seeing her inhuman, machine interior exposed. Like skin tore away and muscle and bone revealed. It was a far more disturbing sight than the cyborg's normal appearance. After the initial shock diminished his left eye remained wide, while the right was swollen shut. He made an effort to act at ease despite this.

"A beautiful woman and a bottle of red wine would be nice."

Aiden then held up a handheld device with a button it, which was connected to is intravenous painkiller drip.

"I should be good. The nurse hooked me up with this."

OOC wrote:If you do decide to drug Aiden without his consent, make a Deception check to conceal the act. Then the Physician check to tune the dosage to get him pliable.

Later, when Diego arrives in his freedom fighter guise, the arms dealer's one eyes gaze settles on the shapeshifter. It takes him a while to start talking, but when he does it with a degree of composure despite his physical state.

"Romper didn't ask that many questions. Mostly he was intent on expressing how unhappy the Jaguars are with my not paying them protection, or giving them a cut of deals. Only recently did he start trying to get information about my operation. Didn't tell him anything useful."

"I appreciate the rescue and the hospitality, but I need to get in contact with my people. I've been out of action for a week. Need to figure out what state my affairs are in after this."
mrdent12

Post by mrdent12 »

Diego Gonzalez

Diego listens intently looking for any signs of deception or evasion. On his mind was still that heart and how to get it. He was never one to do drugs or drink to excess in his previous life, but this heart called to him. His mind wasn't quite as sharp as it usually was. It was sharp enough to know not to try and prolong this. The arms dealer would try to say thanks and go on his merry way. Instead of play along, Diego got to the point. "I hope your operation is still in tact. The Jaguars could use some competition. You have to know I was going to say this, but we didn't rescue you just to be nice. Going through the Jaguars for arms wasn't an appealing option for us and we were looking for another channel. Some of the men you were dealing to mentioned your attack.", begins Diego.

"Putting my cards on the table here, we aren't the best armed right now. I have two questions for you to cut right to it. First, what you say to making a deal for armaments for our group that include money and possibly some funding? Second, I know there was a cache of arms that had some weapons which would help even the field a little with the more advanced Stronghold weaponry for our group. Would you know anything about that?", inquires Diego. His vocal tone carries a hint of let's make a deal yet sounding like there is more to it if the answer is no. It wasn't a threat of help us or else, at least not as Diego modulated his voice, but wasn't like a begger either.
Deception 20 to pick up on any attempts at deception
Supernaturalist

Iona
"A beautiful woman and a bottle of red wine would be nice."
"Before rescuing you, I was a sight to behold. Now, you'll have to wait until I have a make-over." Iona's unattractive metallic mouth manages the slightest smile as she continues to look at his chart. "I am sure that you would prefer real flesh over synthetic though, am I right?" Her beautiful voice belying her not-so-attractive exterior.

"Alright....so no extra sedative for you. If your discomfort increase, especially if you are unable to sleep, then notify us. We can up your dosage."

As Diego enters the infirmary, Iona pulls him aside to speak briefly. Then, she stands aside and allows him to question the patient. When he finishes, Iona calmly adds one more "line item" to the discussion. "Once you return to work, it is only a matter of time before the Jaguars discover that we rescued you....that is if they do not know already. You will need protection if you are going to continue to operate in the area. Perhaps we can give you more aid than just money if you are willing to be generous in your weapons deals to us. "
Sakuro

Post by Sakuro »

The battered man gave Iona a leery look when she talks about her own good looks, despite looking altogether inhuman. No comment was made, however. Instead he watched the machine go about her duties.

When Diego started talking about making a business deal Aiden let out an audible sigh.

"I'm not in the best condition to negotiate."

He waved his left hand down his bandaged frame, one of his fingers missing.

"Last week I had stock enough to equip a small army, contacts to maintain a steady supply, and even a handful ... and I do mean only a handful ... of Hadron-tech pieces. That was a week ago. I don't know if the Jaguars have wrecked my operation, or if one of my employees has decided to take over."

Aiden paused to listen to Iona's addition. He was quiet for a time, seeming to think on what she had said before mounting a response.

"Assuming my house is in order, or that I can put it back in order, we can do business. If you are willing to provide protection for my operations in Hadron City I'm willing to offer a discount."

Diego studied Aiden's reactions and mannerisms, looking for signs of deception. Until Iona talked about protecting him Aiden seemed reluctant and evasive. Perhaps to buy time or get into a better position to negotiate from. The uncertainty concerning his business situation is genuine, but it isn't a strong concern. Nothing he's said comes off as out outright lie.
OOC wrote:I'm not going to bother with the minutiae of exact dollars. We're going to deal in abstract/big picture values. Once the drug operation is in order it will produce 1 "unit" of wealth, which you'll be able to exchange for outfitting your base personnel, army, and maintaining that supply of modern weapons and ammunition. That wealth, along with your food from the Viridi Mater will largely be locked up as ongoing upkeep.
mrdent12

Post by mrdent12 »

Diego Gonzalez

"From what I've learned of the Jaguars and seen of this Romper, you are likely right to fear for your operation. With the Jaguars as your enemy, it isn't an enviable environment to do business or maintain an operation long term. So, we would be glad to extent protection as we are able. If needed we have ways of eliminating any of your employees who might have aspirations of usurping your position. On the business front, it doesn't always take an army or well armed response to get employees back in line. Maybe any employee who may have decided to take your operation goes down an alley way after visiting their lover or just for a nighttime stroll doesn't come out again.", replies Diego. His voice is still in lets make a deal mode, but he modulates it such that the subtle hint of danger is increased just a little.

He had dealt with arms dealers, double agents, and all the like before. Some were as simple a pack of fags to get them to leave the blinds open for a sniper. Others were full blown relocation packages to America. One common thread of them all Diego had learned though was never to give without reminding them it came with a cost. The Agency was never a charity. An agent of Imperator outside the bubble was not giving alms to the poor.

To emphasize his worldview and follow up on the final remarks of Aiden, Diego adds a bit more. "Once you check to make sure your house is still in order, I am sure we could a mutually beneficial relationship. If you ever do catch wind of information on a large cache of Hadron city tech weapons that someone else found that would be information we would find useful and only strengthen our bond further. I can see only good things in our business future together.", adds Diego.

He didn't want to push too hard, not yet. Depending how much Aiden wanted to stiff them he might need to press or just take over Aidens operation and play king maker completely. He'd done it in his past. It didn't always work out though, so he'd prefer to avoid that here if he could. Less risk.

"We can discuss details in the future. I''ll ensure one of our agents provides a way for you to contact us. For now though, I agree you need some rest.", finishes Diego.
Supernaturalist

Iona

After participating in the conversation with Aiden, Iona feels better about the weapons-dealers willingness to participate in a business pertnership with The Cause. As things wind down, the young cyborg prepares herself for the inevitable journey to Doctor Sokolov's abode.
OOC: There may not be any time to do any research on any "loose" particles of her damaged frame. If there is, then she will collect any substances (and take pictures of her interior) as much as possible before having to leave.
Just prior to leaving, Iona makes sure that she is compeltely covered, as her exposed, robotic substructure is sure to draw attention.
Supernaturalist

Iona

After participating in the conversation with Aiden, Iona feels better about the weapons-dealers willingness to participate in a business pertnership with The Cause. As things wind down, the young cyborg prepares herself for the inevitable journey to Doctor Sokolov's abode.
OOC: There may not be any time to do any research on any "loose" particles of her damaged frame. If there is, then she will collect any substances (and take pictures of her interior) as much as possible before having to leave.
Just prior to leaving, Iona makes sure that she is compeltely covered, as her exposed, robotic substructure is sure to draw attention.