For all of your Play-By-Post games.
mrdent12

Re: [IC] MnM 3e - In the Shadow of Imperator: Abduction

Post by mrdent12 »

Diego Gonzalez
HP: 2
CND: Haunted
Form: Mist

After some thought, Diego tosses out his plan. "We cannot stay here. Their jets will need to refuel, so over 100 miles out from this area and we should be fairly safe if we do not do anything to draw further attention to ourselves or more satellite eyes on us. I trust this plane has systems which can identify remote enough areas. Nothing too out of the way, but still somewhere there will be time to repair the vehicle.", remarks Diego. He didn't know the area well enough that far out and hoped the plane would have navigation systems. it was from the mad mind of Sokolov after all.

"Once we get there, I will make a few rounds for security. John, you are to stay near the plane to protect Iona and Aiden while they effect repairs on the vehicle.", adds Diego. John was a veteran soldier, but after the performance at the storage unit Diego was in't in a trusting mood of John.
Supernaturalist

Post by Supernaturalist »

John Steiner
HP:3
Cnd: Normal
PP:0

John sat quietly as the others spoke about where to take and where to hide the craft. Still salty after the recent conversation about who - if anyone - was to blame for the "run in" with the Infected, John spent a few moments pondering what he would report to Ascendent Chen. But the concerns about hiding the aircraft take precedent over some future report to a superior, and soon John is mulling over his knowledge of military bases, storage facilities, armories, airfields, firing ranges, and any other place that he might identify as "empty" or "abandoned".
OOC: Could John use his Expertise: Soldier to come up with some area relatively nearby that might be seasonally (or permanently) devoid of military personnel? Maybe an artillery/mortar/heavy weapons range? A bombing/target range for aircraft? Anything? Here's a roll: Expertise: Soldier Roll to Identify Hiding Area: 1d20+12 30. If John comes up with an idea, then he'll convey it to the group.
Sakuro

Post by Sakuro »

OOC wrote:Think of Soldier as more tactical and on the ground level, as opposed Military being more strategic and organizational (both dealing with organizations, and organizing people).

John doesn't have any means of knowing top secret or sensitive information about military base locations that aren't public knowledge. Abandoned or otherwise. He hasn't done any pre-mission research into the area around Las Vegas that would justify pulling up the kind of information you are after from memory. John also had a career in the infantry, not the air force.

You did roll high, and John has had a lot of experience soldiering around the world, so I will give you something.

During his time as a mercenary, after the second war for Hadron City, John was in the employ of a drug cartel. During his time working for them he acted as security for a number of shipments smuggled in via plane to Nevada, out in the desert near Las Vegas. They had a hidden runway in the and used some camo to conceal their planes before takeoffs. The runway wasn't manned all the time, from what he understood, and doesn't actually have a hangar to house Aiden's plane, but it is the best potentially abandoned site that comes to mind for stashing the aircraft. It is, however, within the 100 mile search area that Diego pointed out.
Evelyn Gracen, in AEGIS Squad
Storyteller for In the Shadow of Imperator
Storyteller for Geneforge: the Created
Supernaturalist

John Steiner
I trust this plane has systems which can identify remote enough areas. Nothing too out of the way, but still somewhere there will be time to repair the vehicle."
When there is a noticeable break in the conversation, John interjects. "I think I might have a place. It's been awhile since I've been there, but it's not a an abandoned civilian or military airfield."

The veteran rubs his chin as he tries to recall information about the place. "It's in the desert...I'm guessing somewhere close to 100 miles northwest of here. At one time there was a concealed runway in use by a drug cartel that employed me. It may still be there. The nice thing was that it wasn't manned all the time, only when shipments were scheduled to arrive or someone important needed to be flown out. They had a lot of camo-tarps stashed in the area both for the runway and to conceal planes that arrived. I'd say it's worth a shot."
I added the "northwest" component even though it is not in Sakuro's info . If the runway is actually in a different direction (and it matters), then I can edit my post.
mrdent12

Post by mrdent12 »

Diego Gonzalez

John was trying. The damage had already been done, however. Before, Diego would have raised no questions and said go with it in his own way. Now, not so much. "Is it within the possible 100 mile search area or is it not? We do not need an airfield proper for effecting repairs of the vehicle. All we need is an out of the way place that we can defend from any attacks from creatures easily enough. Not dealing with the creatures before they became a problem at the storage unit has forced us to resort to risking the desert.", says Diego. While his voice was unchanging, his words betrayed his lack of trust in John.

"Is there any navigational data on this plane or the AI I am assuming is on it? An possible hints at safe enough locations seen during the flight here?", inquires Diego of Aiden. Of the lot, Aiden was proving to be the least problematic one. After seeing Sokolovs lab of horrors, he could only assume Sokolov would have some sort of intelligence on it if he gave it to a teen to fly albeit one trained in Hadron City.
kenseido

Post by kenseido »

Aiden Starr
HP: 2, Condition: Fine

"I was looking for canyons and the like, and I only found those two tourist sites. I can take a little time and search for something else, if you have some different ideas."
Supernaturalist

John Steiner
Not dealing with the creatures before they became a problem at the storage unit has forced us to resort to risking the desert.
It had not been clear to John that the Ascendant blamed him in some way for "not dealing with the creatures" until now. Perhaps that -and who knows what else- was the source of the "expendable" language earlier.

"With all do respect, Ascendant, you think I could have done something against those things before they broke loose?" John had to be careful with his tone and the way he carried himself. The Dark Ascendant was still his superior and someone that John outright feared, though he tried hard to conceal it.

"Those...things...were locked in a storage unit. There were people around outside...the same people who saw us "fly away". There was also a security camera to record yours truly armed only with a suppressed pistol trying to open a locked door. Even if I could have unlocked the door quietly, which I couldn't, it would have been suicide for me to tangle with those things." John pauses a moment to control the anger that is clearly starting to build.

"Besides all this is hindsight. At the time, we didn't know what was making the racket: A chained dog. A chained person or persons. From my point of view, not blowing our cover was the most important thing. What should I have reasonably done differently given what I knew at the time?"

Secretly John fumed. If he survived this mission, he realized he was going to have to speak up in his next meeting with Ascendant Chen. Being charged with advising and monitoring group whose leader openly displayed a callous disregard for John's life placed the veteran soldier in a dangerous situation. But could he get transferred out? Maybe get some alternate assignment? As much as he enjoyed the thought of kidnapping Anna Semenov and keeping her for himself (for awhile), he longed for the days when he felt like he was making a difference in Imperator's Cause.
kenseido

Post by kenseido »

Aiden Starr

Aiden half smiles as Diego slaps down John's failure openly. When John tries to make excuses, Aiden is quick to respond.

"Had we known about the actual danger sooner, we could have exited more gracefully... and less publicly."
mrdent12

Post by mrdent12 »

Diego Gonzalez

It was curious to Diego that outside of 100 miles, there was no viable place to park the craft while the other transportation was fixed up. Still, the world was different now. He didn't have all the info that whatever systems the plane maintained had. "This plane is fast correct? How long with minimal risk of detection would it take to get to a suitable site outside of a 100 mile radius providing some cover and low exposure? Staying here will not be feasible much longer so we do not have time for an exhaustive search.", remarks Diego to Aidan.

Diego, without giving anything away in his tone or cadence responded to the shaken mercenary. "This is not the time for a debrief. Our operation is at much higher risk now because of the actions taken and that needs to be dealt with first. Prevention in the future will come later. Once we have a vehicle properly masked it will be easier to move about again. You did not answer my previous question. You said somewhere close to 100 miles. Is it likely closer or farther?", pressed Diego. He wasn't in the mood for teaching John not to know to run when he sees someone else running or to chat up the man outside a storage unit with clanking noises for information.
Supernaturalist

John Steiner
HP:4
Cnd: Normal; Impaired (-2 circumstance penalty to all skill rolls)
OOC: One of John's Complications is "Bully". He's pretty flustered right now, so what follows will be a manifestation of that behavior. He feels like he's being "prodded" by Aiden, whom John feels is his tactical/strategic inferior.
"Had we known about the actual danger sooner, we could have exited more gracefully... and less publicly."
"Was I talkin' to YOU, Sugar Britches!?!?" John eyes Aiden scornfully for a moment before looking back to the Dark Ascendant.

Though the burly soldier had grown increasingly angry, he still has to watch how he carried himself with the Dark Ascendant. John knows that the Ascendant is not fully human...if he's human at all. So, he cannot count on his ominous superior to behave in a way that is predictable. Trying to calm himself as much as possible before speaking, John struggles to ignore the fact that his query into Diego's disatisfaction has been blown off.

"The landing strip is...within the 100 mile radius...perhaps only by about 8-10 miles, but still within it." That's all he gets out before claming up. But it's clear to all present that he's struggling to restrain his rage. His fists are nearly clinched and he appears to be slightly trembling.
kenseido

Post by kenseido »

Aiden Starr

Aiden softly chuckles and mumbles "Professional soldier, indeed."

He turns his attention to Diego waiting for the only other person he trusts on this plane to decide on the course of action.
mrdent12

Post by mrdent12 »

Diego Gonzalez

John was becoming unhinged, but he's been like that for a bit. At one point, John was an asset. In a fire fight, where cover was important, he still was. Diego was quickly realizing John was out of his depth outside of combat however. His emotions ran too high. "Staying within in the possible active search area is unacceptable. Satellites or the errand jet we can avoid easier. Now they are looking for us, hiding is more difficult.", remarks Diego ignoring the obvious signs of anger. Best not even acknowledge it.

Turning to Aiden, Diego makes the call. "Get us out of this area a hundred and fifty miles or so. I trust the plane has topological maps or can query them from the internet or other sources quickly for an out of the way place such as a field or middle of the desert not too close to the military. I will patrol outside while the car is repaired.", orders Diego. He toyed with calling Costa, but he wasn't keen on exposing one of her outside bases. Rightly or wrongly, Diego was becoming less and less inclined to concede anything to Sokolov unless absolutely needed.

Before getting ready for transit, Diego posed an additional question. Does this plane read in external data so we can get a sense of what the wider world is being told?, inquires Diego.
kenseido

Post by kenseido »

Aiden Starr

Aiden nods at Diego's decision to take the plane well outside any reasonable search area. It does create an issue with returning the Impala to a road that can access Vegas from, but they will cross that bridge then.

"I can attempt to access their communication, but it risks detection. And since it's all through the cybernetic interface, I would have to monitor it, and that will distract me from repairs."

Aiden then moves off to move the ship to some place outside of 150 miles radius that is away from any roads or signs of civilization.
Sakuro

Post by Sakuro »

Aiden disappears into the cockpit, leaving John to stew, and Diego and Iona to plot. Unseen the stealth craft flies away from Las Vegas and heads into the desert. Disappearing into the dust and sand. Though another state, it was a desert that Imperator and Dr. Impossible had their final battle before disappearing in the explosion of their conflict.

One hundred and fifty miles out Aiden sets the Shrike down. Not that the people in the passenger section are able to tell. All is steady and still in the back. Which is fortunate, because the Impala wasn't secured. Two thousand pounds of metal slamming into people would have been bad. Once Aiden comes back he and Iona get to work. John splits off from the group, hanging out in the far corner of the passenger section. Diego exits, heading out into the bright afternoon glare of the Nevada desert to patrol the area around the invisible aircraft.

After twelve hours of steady work on the Impala Aiden receives an alert. Two fighter jets incoming. They aren't on a direct course. But circle the area. Move in an erratic search pattern. Then veer off. Only to return again and again over the course of two hours. Each time they get closer. Until they're almost on top of you. After two hours of this they break off altogether and head back towards Las Vegas.

An hour later, work on the Impala is done. There is no blood lose in an ensuing attack, but Aiden and Iona are greasy and oily. Having fought their own, less dangerous, battle with entropy and neglect.

Outside, it has been tense, but quiet. Tense, in that Diego was able to see and hear the jets racing closer and closer, until they were right over head. But no attack ever came. It is bright and hot, with wind stirring up dust. But other than the jets that came so close to your location, Diego does not witness any other signs of human activity in the area.

OOC wrote:Twice you were one away on the roll from being located.

Aiden, make a Technology check for working on the Impala. Iona you may roll to Aid his effort.

You'll repair the vehicle, regardless of the result. This is to determine if you are able to tune it up and get some extra performance out of the Impala.
Evelyn Gracen, in AEGIS Squad
Storyteller for In the Shadow of Imperator
Storyteller for Geneforge: the Created
Supernaturalist

Iona
HP: 1
VP: 0
EP:3
Dominion Point: 0

Iona remains close to Aiden in the passenger section. She remains mostly silent, only responding when Aiden requests some kind of tool or specific aid. Occasionally, she glances over at John, who appears to be in a perpetual state of grumpy.

The female cyborg, with her keen hearing, senses the rumble of the jet engines before they pass over head. As she senses the impending danger, her eyes widen as she looks to Aiden for some kind of reaction. For several moments she expects bombs or some kind of precision-guided munition to impact the aircraft...but it never comes.
OOC: Here's the Technology Roll to Aid in the repair of the Impala: Technology Aid Roll: 1d20+9 15. So, a total of 15.