[IC] MnM 3e - In the Shadow of Imperator: Deadline

For all of your Play-By-Post games.
Sakuro

Re: [IC] MnM 3e - In the Shadow of Imperator: Abduction

Post by Sakuro »

Iona

As Ion a observes Dr. Sokolov's technique, she sees he has a steady hand. Like a surgeon's. That said, he is showing little regard to the arm itself, while taking care not to damage the tumors. Except is very precise and carefully measured cuts. His movement with changing instruments is unrushed, but swift. Timed even.

"I am not going to stop you from exploring this relationship. Be mindful of what he is though."

While studying the toothy worm Iona recalls that some parasitic worms able to live inside the human can also raise the risk of developing some kinds of cancer. There is even documentation about a tapeworm that infected a man deposited malignant cells inside his body that spread much like an aggressive cancer and formed a tumor in his brain. But this is excessive. The worm she is seeing appears aggressive. The tumors numerous. This can't be natural.

John

"Killed or infected. Yes."

The black blur confirmed in a vibrating voice that sounded distinctly inhuman. After that there is a long silence from Zachary, wherein he stares at John, unwaveringly, with glowing blue eyes. Static builds up from his movements, occasionally causing an arc of electricity to crackle over his body. Eventually, out of nowhere, he begins talking again.

"As to your request for a transfer ... Ascendant Gonzalez agrees that your skillset does not suit his operational doctrine."

There is another pause. Briefer this time. Only a handful of seconds pass before Chen speaks again.

"Your request for a transfer is denied. For the time being at least. You will continue to operate out of this base and monitor Ascendant Gonzalez and Iona. There will be a surge in recruitment here and you will play a role in training those recruits. However, you will not be going on field missions unless I expressly order it or you choose to volunteer. Once the recruitment has abated, or the first round of training is complete, we will revisit your request for a transfer."
OOC wrote:John will still be present at the base. But he'll fade into the background until you find a point at which you would like to play him.

Diego

When Diego asked if they could determine if Maja was in any kind of trouble the Corporal gave him look that said 'are you serious?'.

"The woman fell out of the sky ..."

Tilly paused to emphasize that. Let him think on it. Sure, he was getting use to dealing with unusual threats. But the vast majority of people were much more fragile than him.

"She should be dead. My guess is her suit shot her full of combat drugs just to keep her alive. On top of that she's in a fight with Stronghold soldiers ... right now."

Picking up the tablet Tilly rewatched the beginning of the video. She paused, did something, then played the video again. This time The Major's voice was more noticeable. She was saying something. It wasn't in English. To Diego it sounded ... Norwegian.

"Any idea what she yelled at them?"
OOC wrote:You'll be able to reach out to the people in Ward 13 only if Diego and Iona decide to take on the issue in that Ward.

Once Iona's scene has concluded, she'll be joining Diego right away.
Last edited by Sakuro on Sun Dec 04, 2022 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Evelyn Gracen, in AEGIS Squad
Storyteller for In the Shadow of Imperator
Storyteller for Geneforge: the Created
mrdent12

Post by mrdent12 »

Diego Gonzalez
HP: 1
CND: Obsessed
Form: Solid

If anyone else mentioned her falling out of the sky as if it was bad, Diego would have dismissed it outright as a failed chess piece. Something to be discarded when its utility was gone. Tilly somehow made him pause even if for the briefest of moments before deciding to let it pass. "Imperator did not have weak soldiers or ineffective tech.", is his only reply. Anyone else, he would have brought up her dying being good so she can't talk or any other number of things a human might have negative reactions.

When the woman said something, Diego listened to see if he could pick up anything. As he processed it, his mind also processed what was realistic given the current situation. Iona and him would be able to handle a small Macrovirus spread, but if even one got loose it would be for naught. They would also get into conflict with Stronghold if not quick enough. For Valkyrie. they would also get into conflict with Stronghold in their ward to boot. "Norwegian is not one of the languages I studied extensively. I might be able to piece it together.", says Diego.

Adding on the that, Diego continued cross streams a bit. "My network is not extended to ward 13 yet. Is there anyone who would be able to support a clean escape from the Ward for Iona or shelter to avoid us fighting Stronghold and the creatures there? ", asks Diego.
Supernaturalist

Post by Supernaturalist »

John Steiner
HP:1
Cnd: Normal
PP:1
"Your request for a transfer is denied. For the time being at least. You will continue to operate out of this base and monitor Ascendant Gonzalez and Iona. There will be a surge in recruitment here and you will play a role in training those recruits. However, you will not be going on field missions unless I expressly order it or you choose to volunteer. Once the recruitment has abated, or the first round of training is complete, we will revisit your request for a transfer."
"Yes, sir." John says without any sign of emotion on his face. It was only a partial success as far as John is concerned. He gets to train soldiers, which he feels a great use of his talents, but he is still tasked with monitoring and reporting on The Dark Ascendant and Iona. And although he has not been assigned as part of a new mission team, the fear that he might be rises within him. That is to say he fears being placed under the Dark Ascendant's command.

"Are there any other orders for me at this time, sir?" John awaits silently until he is dismissed.
Supernaturalist

Iona
HP: 2
VP: 0
Cnd: Bruised (-1 to further Damage Checks)
EP:3
Dominion Point: 1
"I am not going to stop you from exploring this relationship. Be mindful of what he is though."
"Yes, Doctor.", the young cyborg says absent-mindedly, her attention now absorbed with the odd parasite and the tumor-infected arm before her. "Do you need any help, Doctor? As far as I know, there is no great rush for me to return to base. I have missed my work in the lab and would be happy to assist you if only for awhile." Oddly enough Iona has missed working in the lab, her mind operating like some kind of super-computer, processing data and evaluating it. She even missed the days of working with her old master to some degree. She has learned much from him - and knows that much more could be learned if she could work more frequently with him.
OOC: If Doctor Sokolov doesn't need help, then Iona will do as directed to repair her slight damage before returning to base. Although she would like to get her hands on one of his little parasites. Are there any extra samples of those creatures that she could inquire about?
Sakuro

Post by Sakuro »

John

"No. You may go."

... Chen responded without drawing the meeting out. He made no move from their current position across the table. Those eyes of blue ball lightning remain on John as he rises and makes his exit.

Iona
OOC wrote:For expedience sake ... as Iona and Diego need to come to a joint decision on whether they want to deal with Valkyrie, the situation is Ward 13, or neither ... Dr. Sokolov won't accept help right now.

Iona will not be allowed to take any of his research subjects offsite without spending a Favor.

When it comes time to playing out solo scenes, doing research with Dr. Sokolov will be an option. So if you don't want to deal with the trouble Tilly has brought up, you can circle back to working with The Doctor.
"Perhaps later you. It would be wise for you to check in with your subordinates. You have been away for four days. Plenty of time for developments to arise. "

After reminding Iona of her leadership responsibilities, Dr. Sokolov directs her to the same room she has always received her repairs. After settling into the chair there, her world goes black. An hour passes before she returns to consciousness. Whatever she had been wearing previously are not dawned. In it's place the same white form fitting body suit she always was in when she woke up after repairs or maintenance. Her clothes and other personal effects are folded up and stored in a plastic container near the door.

If Iona does heed her creator's advice and returns to the jointly run base, when she arrives, she is greeted by a guard who informs her that Corporal Tilly would like to speak with her.

Diego
OOC wrote:From what Diego can discern, Maja said something to the effect of "You kill him." That repeats a couple times followed by "I kill you all."
When Diego mounts his response to Sander's emphasis on the Major being heavily injured, perhaps even dying, he get's a look from the Corporal. One of those 'I worry about you' looks. She remains professional though. When Diego asks for information, she continues to provide advice.

"If we can make contact with our people inside Ward 13, you may be able to arrange something with them. Other than that, we could have someone from the base wait in a vehicle a short way outside the combat zone. They'd have to use a personal vehicle ... and if it get's burned, that's the sort of thing that will negatively impact morale As is, given how things have been going, I don't think anyone is going to volunteer their own vehicle."
Supernaturalist

Iona
Cnd: Bruised (-1 to further Damage Checks)

When Iona returns to the base, she proceeds immediately to see Corporal Sander. Though quite eager to visit her personnel in the infirmary and her own laboratory, the urgency conveyed to her by Doctor Sokolov takes precedence.

When the beautiful cyborg finds Sander's meeting room, she is still in conversation with Ascendant Gonzalez. Iona notifies one of Sander's subordinates that she has arrived and awaits permission to enter. We just returned from a mission. I wonder if there has been a government reaction to our Las Vegas operation that has prompted this meeting.
mrdent12

Post by mrdent12 »

Diego Gonzalez

More and more, Diego was inclined to let Stronghold handle the outbreak. True, they'd lock down the ward, but it wasn't like they weren't going to do that anyway. From past experience, these creatures were clever and trapping them was hard in the best of cases. "If just Iona and I, a vehicle would not be needed. If we can lay low and escape when the lockdown patrols pass we can make our way back here. Preventing any creatures from escaping via the sewers or a spot we are not watching will be difficult for me. Iona's input will be needed. Getting out of the ward if we expose our powers to stop the spread may unfortunately turn into another algae theft debacle.", remarks Diego.

Speak of the devil and apparently Iona is asking for an invitation. He waves as if to say proceed to let her in. "And now with it coming here, i can get my answer.", says Diego. When Iona arrives he quickly runs through what is confronting them and the choice they need to make.
Supernaturalist

Iona
OOC: I removed Iona's "Bruised" condition. I'm going to save her pp for now. As for the Dominion point, I still have it listed. Should I remove it to indicate that she has jointly spent it with Diego in order to establish...what was it?...a recruiting network for soldiers? A soup kitchen?
Iona's visit with Doctor Sokolov is cut short by her need to report back to base. With a promise to assist her creator at some future date, the beautiful cyborg is repaired and then quickly sent on her way.

Upon entering the base, she bypasses the infirmary and her lab, heading straight for Corporal Sander's meeting room.
OOC: I'll assume from this point that Corporal Sander and Diego present Iona with all the information provided to both The Ascendant and John.
There is a lot of information to digest. Two separate issues with their own, potentially negative consequences for The Cause. She turns away from Diego and Sander for a few moments and walks about the room quietly in thought. After nearly a minute, she turns back. "This Valkyrie must be saved. She is the priority." There is no question in Iona's mind. Powerful and devoted members of Imperator's cause were in relative short supply. If one could be added, it was worth a high cost.

"The rampage in Ward 13 is part curse, part blessing." Iona looks to Diego. "Do you think a group could be dispatched to at least insure that none of the Abominations make their way into the sewer? I admit that I'm ignorant of the military assets at our disposal, but could not a team be sent into the sewer are of Ward 13 to destroy any of these creatures that might pose a danger of taking up residence and multiplying in the "underparts" of Hadron City? To be honest, I'm rather pleased at the idea that these Infected are draining Stronghold resources on the surface, especially if it's in a different ward from out own. It's a distraction that we need"

She pauses again as if suddenly struck with an idea. "Why can't Warrant Officer Steiner and a team of soldiers properly equip themselves and execute some kind of search and destroy mission in the Ward 13 sewers? Maybe even breach the surface to exterminate some Abominations there?"
Sakuro

Post by Sakuro »

The Corporal's light brown painted lips curve into a slight frown when Diego talks about minimizing exposure of their powers.

"At this point, I think it is time to stop worrying about exposing your abilities. At least Iona's. She's been on the news so much the general populace is aware of what she can do."

There was a pause from Tilly as Diego called the android in. When Iona enters the room, Tilly gestures to a chair, inviting her to sit. But otherwise doesn't pressure her. Iona gets the same briefing as John, but not the exact same as Diego. Tilly leaves out sensitive information about the Forgotten Ones and their role in the ongoing observation of Valkyrie.

When a proposal is made to order John into Ward 13, Tilly interjects.

"I've heard from Ascendant Chen that Mr. Steiner is being detached from you as a field asset, though he's expected to fulfill his other duties at the base."

She paused at that point and looked between Diego and Iona, gauging Diego's reaction to the idea of sending normal people into Ward 13.

"We don't have an army at our disposal. Just our base security staff. Ten people plus, Sergeant Kreppler our head of security. We could send them to Ward 13, and see if Steiner can be convinced to join them. But if we loose them our base is reliant on Iona's combat droids for base defense ... and who are we going to use to train those people coming in from the soup kitchens? Speaking of which, we need to talk about living space for new recruits later."

Sander takes a moment to think on the matter before seeming to recall something, at which point she speaks up again.

"Back on the topic of the security team, shortly after leaving the arms dealer you rescued from the Jaguars set us up with enough gear to equip our security staff with milspec gear. Assault rifles, a few grenades, and some body armor. Nothing Hadron-Tech, but it is better than what they were using."
OOC wrote:Sergeant Kreppler is a Minion. Your security team counts as a Squad of Trained Soldiers for mass combat. You can send them to Ward 13 if you like. If you loose them, that's it. They're dead. There are no replacement that will take their place unless you invest Dominion or Favors in it. They're also the people who were going to help train your recruits from the soup kitchen project.

Bear in mind, until recently, your security team was woefully under equipped. Think John with a knife and pistol going up against Macro-Virus Abominations ... but your security team aren't elite badasses like John. Now they have proper gear, but they still aren't on the level of someone like Tilly (she's a Heroic NPC) or John.

John may volunteer to go, but you cannot order him to. I'm also not going to let you play it out. He'll be treated as a Heroic NPC when I roll dice to see how events unfold. He could die.

As a reminder, the combat droids while more formidable than your security team are only usable for base defense.
mrdent12

Post by mrdent12 »

Diego Gonzalez

"At this point, I think it is time to stop worrying about exposing your abilities. At least Iona's. She's been on the news so much the general populace is aware of what she can do."
"It's not the exposure, it's the response. Iona has proven to bring a heavy response quickly whenever it uses its powers. That response leads to bad things if not quickly squashed.", remarks Diego before Iona enters.

Diego, while keeping normal facial type movements to seem human around Tilly, doesn't betray his thoughts as Iona pitches sending a squad into Ward 13. "Sending more of our forces in when equipped less than Stronghold is a fools errand. We can ill afford to lose anymore forces or the moral hit that would ensue. If anyone would be going to Ward 13, it would be you and I Iona.", remarks Diego. His voice had a human sound to it that only the most accute ear might get a hint of what lurked below it.

"If the virus gets a foothold in this city, we will have a battle on two fronts to fight. Still, Stronghold will as well. If we keep the infection out of Ward 3, it will leave Strongholds resources tied up securing the sewers and wherever the infection might spread. It will also keep the First Generation on alert. It will also be incumbent upon us to ensure Ward 3 stays clean of the infection.", adds Diego. He didn't mention Sokolov would have some issues as well, which pleased him a bit.

"For once, I would agree with you Iona and say we should save Valkyrie. She will prove a powerful ally and might give insight on what happen to Imperator. If any of your friends are in Ward 13, I will help as best I am able to get them out before or after it gets locked down Tilly.", says Diego with a warmer voice at the end. It was one of those quirks he still had. ""What the latest information on Valkyries location and the compliment of troops she is facing?, inquires Diego.
Sakuro

Post by Sakuro »

Tilly works at the tablet for a short time, her fingers tapping at or sliding over the screen. Then she turns it around and hands the tablet over to Diego. On the screen is a map of the city zoomed in on Ward 3. There is a 'V' and an 'S' in the Northwest quadrant.

"The fighting hasn't moved too far from where Valkyrie fell. There are about ten Stronghold soldiers accompanied by an armored personnel carrier. Valkyrie managed to disable the APC, but they usually have a heavy machine gun mounted on those things and can probably still put it to use."
Supernaturalist

Iona
Dominion Point: 0

"Given Valkyrie's reputation it is possible that the soldiers currently attempting to apprehend her have radioed their HQ about the nature of their quarry. To attempt her rescue is risky given the unknowns, yet I see no way around them."

Iona is silent for a moment as she mentally plays through several likely outcomes to the rescue in her mind. She shakes her head in frustration and glances at Diego. "More Stronghold reinforcements could be on their way at this moment; and I worry about acquiring Valkyrie and then disappearing from Stronghold observation into Ward 3. If we do acquire her, and have to fight our way out of direct observation from Stronghold forces, I would prefer to enter the sewers in some other ward, preferably one well away from Ward 3. I realize that's a lot to wish for...but...we really risk bringing heavy Stronghold forces into our zone with this rescue."
mrdent12

Post by mrdent12 »

Diego Gonzalez

"An elite soldier of Imperator from a unit not seen since his disappearance fell from the sky. If not for the Macrovirus infection, it would be the equivalent of you causing havoc in the city to escape with a plant. The soldiers already have likely radioed in for support. Ward 3 is becoming a lightening rod of activity of superhuman events. We cannot hold back Stronghold attempting to fortify it forever. Like this situation, we need to act quick and decisively. Eliminate the units there without regard for their lives quickly like we did the ones at the road block.", remarks Diego.

Ordinarily he would say lets go, but the sewers remark warranted a response. "They are watching the sewers. Stronghold, for all its faults is not stupid. If we flee in the sewers with you carrying the armour they will notice. If we take out the monitors, they will track it. There is enough ruined buildings around to take shelter until we can get Valkyrie back to here safely. With our absences and reckless disregard for their possessions and friends I am under no illusion they would help us without being ordered. Valkyrie may help inspire them. Stronghold will also be attempting to lockdown Ward 13 and purge it most likely, so they will not be able to marshal the full force of their capability for searching.", adds Diego.
Supernaturalist

Iona
PP:0
Dominion Point: 0

Iona considers Diego's words for only a moment. Nodding in affirmation, she looks to both Sander and the Ascendant. "Yes, perhaps a swift, overwhelming attack is the best option. If executed properly we may have the opportunity to destroy them before they can identify our participation in the rescue. Perhaps as we get closer, I can identify the source of there unit-to-headquarters communication and eliminate it outright."

She pauses as if in thought. Then looking to Sander, the beautiful cyborg speaks. "Corporal, would you be able to recommend some sort of approach that would conceal us from observation right up to the moment we opt to attack?"
Last edited by Supernaturalist on Fri Dec 23, 2022 11:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sakuro

Post by Sakuro »

When the two of you begin discussing the situation the Corporeal goes quiet. Allowing you to speak without interuption. Up until Iona directly asks for her insight. At that point the slides neatly into the conversation.

"While Stronghold has been sending people in to clear the roads and repairs have begun in the Ward, they still lack surface cameras. Electronics, in general, are unreliable due to whatever Praetor Null did to the sky during his fight with Dr. Impossible. Drones don't function here and as far as we can discern arial and orbital surveillance of the Ward are ineffective. This provides us with more opportunities. "

Setting her tablet down Tilly positions it on the table in front of her so that both of you have a clear view of it. There is a map of Ward 3 displayed on the screen. Using her finger she draws a line from a building near the hidden entrance to your base to the road where Valkyrie and the Stronghold forces were engaged. Along the way there are occasional squiggles or zags that lead from one building to another. The map itself isn't detailed, so some of the advantage or disadvantages of the route may be hidden away in Tilly's vault of personal experience and awareness of the Ward.

"As the Ascendant suggested, there are plenty of opportunities for cover in the form of rubble and ruins. This route here will allow you to remain concealed for the majority of your trek to the conflict. There are some rubble piles and car pile ups not on the map that you can use, beyond just sticking to buildings. They're good temporary cover."
OOC wrote:Since Iona called in the Tilly card, I made a roll to see if she could help out. Her advice will give you both+2 to your first Stealth check. You'll also be able to avoid potential hinderances along the way to the conflict.