[IC] MnM 3e - In the Shadow of Imperator: Deadline

For all of your Play-By-Post games.
Sakuro

Re: [IC] MnM 3e - In the Shadow of Imperator: Valkyrie Falling

Post by Sakuro »

OOC wrote:Your post has Diego going in three different directions (disinformation, setting up expansion for his spy network, and checking in on Ward 13). That would take a lot of time and unlike Iona, Diego needs downtime to rest. Let's focus on one of those: the disinformation. It'll take three days, given you have Diego going all over the city spreading false flags.

Diego
Monday, April 9, 2019 - Friday, April 12, 2019

When Diego checks in with Tilly, asking about the events in Ward 13, she doesn't have much information to give him. Only reporting that the situation appears to have been resolved by Stronghold after a short quarantine of the Ward.

While the Forgotten Ones point Stronghold anywhere but Ward 3, Diego takes Tilly's advice a step further and leads the private security firm on a wild goose chase throughout the city. The trick of it is timing. The Ascendant needs to be at the right place, the right time, and make sure the right people hear his lies. Namely Stronghold, or people that have Stronghold's ear. Telling a random person on the street a story does little good, if any. Between day long excursion Diego withdraws to the base, or perhaps finds some temporary hideout, in order to rest and recharge.

The misinformation Diego has spread leads Stonghold in all the wrong directs. But it also serves to fan the flames of the hysteria and media-hate around Iona, by keeping her in the spotlight. If Diego was hoping to spark some conflict between the Jaguars and Stronghold by leading the mercs to the criminal's territory, he is disappointed. Nothing overt comes from the false lead, though Diego does notice one of Stronghold's plain clothes investigators talking to some of the gangers, no actual conflict comes from the interaction.

In the end Stronghold seems to be looking everywhere but Ward 3 for the people that attacked their patrol. When Diego returns to the base the guard manning the post at the hidden entrance informs Diego that Major Karlsten is awake and asking to speak with the person in charge.
Evelyn Gracen, in AEGIS Squad
Storyteller for In the Shadow of Imperator
Storyteller for Geneforge: the Created
mrdent12

Post by mrdent12 »

Diego Gonzalez
HP: 0
CND: Obsessed
Form: Solid

Diego returns a human form from his native form once in the confines of the base dressed as his former body with casual clothing and a black leather looking jacket. "Alert Iona, but do not rush. Take me to her first if possible. If her health does not require it and those around are not also recuperating we would like some privacy.", says Diego. He wanted to make sure to alert Valkyrie to Sokolovs and by extension Ionas duplicitous nature. Perhaps now was the trap. Provide some false data for Sokolov to chase down or even something as simple as gaining Ionas trust to feed the information later.
Supernaturalist

Post by Supernaturalist »

Iona
HP: 3
VP: 0
Cnd: Normal
PP:0
EP:3
Dominion Point: 0

Iona thanks the nurse for the message and then asks the nurse to deliver a message of her own. "Please tell Major Karlsten that I'll be over to see her in about 15 minutes."

Still donning her lab coat and latex gloves, the cyborg proceeds to clean up the research materials and save her experimental notes from the day's work. She insures that the laboratory is acceptable for medical use before turning it back over to her staff.

Making her way to the infirmary area, Iona approaches Valkyrie's bed, an area screened off by a curtain for privacy. Picking up the clipboard at the foot of the bed, Iona reviews the nurse's notes from the last several hours regarding medication, vitals, and the patient's general condition. Walking over the the Major's side, she places her hands upon the slightly elevated guard-rails. "Good afternoon, Major. How are you feeling?"
Sakuro

Post by Sakuro »

OOC wrote:Given that Diego has been away from the base a lot, and Iona has been at the base, I'm inclined to say Iona gets to Valkyrie first. But I wanted to give Diego a chance to enact his schemes, so I flipped a coin to see who would be able to meet with her first. Diego won the coin toss.

So as not to stall the flow of play, we'll move Diego solo scene to the Extended Interludes thread. The posts here will be after that private conversation.
When Iona arrives in the infirmary, she is informed that, by order of Ascendant Gonzalez, Major Karlsten has been moved to a private room. You only have a handful of them, and they're usually reserved for special cases. The nurse informs Iona of the room number and when she arrives she finds a guard at the good, who gives three quick raps when Iona approaches. The soldier then opens the door for Iona and closes it after she enters the room.

Given the severity of Valkyrie's injuries, she has been mostly embolized. The woman's demeanor is a combination of uncomfortable, irritated, and frustrated. Though she maintains a level of decorum when Iona asks how she feels. Her voice has a Norwegian accent, though she seems adept at speaking the English language.

"As well as I look, I expect."

There is a grouchy edge to her tone. Being bed ridden does not suit her. But she doesn't linger on that initial upsetting question and presses on without much pause.

"I understand the two of you are responsible for my surviving Stronghold. You have my thanks."
Supernaturalist

Iona
"I understand the two of you are responsible for my surviving Stronghold. You have my thanks."
"Of course, Major...we could not abandon a valuable member of Imperator's Honor Guard to Stronghold." Iona's beautiful face has only the slightest trace of a smile.

"You are a very fortunate woman. The injuries you sustained were serious. Dr. Frankling and I feel confident that there is no more internal bleeding, and all the bone debris from your compression fractures has been cleaned up. You have some minor prosthetic components in you knees and hips, but I feel confident in saying that you will notice no difference between them and your pre-injury joints. We would like to follow up with you in a few days when you are able to move around a little better in order to evaluate some of your ligaments and tendons."

The surgical area and infirmary are kept at cold temperatures for sanitation purposes. Iona grabs some heated blankets from a nearby metal cabinet and spreads them gently over the Major's legs and abdomen. "Is there anything I can get you? Some food perhaps? "
mrdent12

Post by mrdent12 »

Diego Gonzalez

"We were just discussing the current state of affairs while you were being fetched Iona. I have caught Valkyrie up on Stronghold controlling the city and the current state of the rebellion.", states Diego. As was his usual tone with Iona, was cold and bland. "How long do you think it will be before she is ready for combat or at least mended enough to help training our impending army?", inquires Diego of Iona. For their differences, Diego and Iona had a shared goal of raising the army. He could leverage that.
Sakuro

Post by Sakuro »

Valkyrie watches the both of you. When Iona moves around the room her initial instinct is to turn her head and follow her, but her head is held still. Despite this she moves enough to cause pain and react with a subtle wince. From then on it is her eyes that move while the majority of her body remains still. She talks, but even talking seems to turn.

"I won't be going anywhere."

... the woman replied a grumpily when Iona talked about checking on her in a couple days. Some light entered her eyes when Iona mentioned food. Then her gaze turned distant.

"Food sounds good. I haven't eaten in ... I can't remember the last time I ate."

When Diego speaks, asking about the duration of her recovery, Maja's eyes flicker to him for a few seconds, then dance back over to Iona awaiting the medical professional's reply. Valkyrie did not look hopeful.

OOC wrote:Most of the Major's bones will heal in 6-8 week. Some, like the tibia, with take much longer. 20 weeks in the tibia's example. She won't be doing any fighting for a long time. Not within your 2 month time frame. She can train and instruct people from a wheelchair in about a 4-6 weeks, but she won't be an effective battlefield commander.

In short, if you want to put the woman to meaningful use, you can't rely on contemporary medicine.
Supernaturalist

Iona

Looking down and Valkyrie, Iona places her hand on the Major’s shoulder. “Just relax…I’ll have the orderly bring you some food.

The cyborg then addresses The Major’s prognosis for recovery. “It’s clear that you are no ordinary woman. Nevertheless, the recovery schedule which I am postulating is based upon that of a typical person with your injuries. You may be able to recover faster than my proposed schedule. It is quite amazing that you survived at all; and a great deal is owed to the “battle suit” which acted like a body cast and prevented your skeleton from completely breaking into a multitude of compound fractures. Even though your skeleton was - relatively speaking - “constrained”, you suffered numerous and extensive compression-fractures, a phenomenon normally seen only in the vertebrae, from your spine all the way down through your feet. Only the chemical-enhancements coursing through you allowed you to remain conscious through the pain.

Pausing for a moment to glance back and forth between Diego and the Major, Iona holds up her hand as if to signal “stop”. “I realize that the both of you are anxious for a rapid recovery, but I’m afraid that the extent of the wounds will make that impossible. Your vascular wounds should be healed within 3 weeks, but they are the least of your problems. The orthopedic reconstruction that you needed was extensive and, in some cases, will not be properly healed for nearly 3 months. I don’t even suggest beginning physical therapy for about a month. You could be moved to a wheelchair and carted around at that time, but I prefer no weight-bearing movement for the next 4 weeks. I know that’s not what you want to hear, but that is my recommendation.
OOC: Iona will ask an orderly bring the Major a large breakfast.
mrdent12

Post by mrdent12 »

Diego Gonzalez

"Do what you can. She will be vital to our future efforts in this city and beyond.", simply says Diego to Iona. he wished Valkyrie would be in better fighting shape, but bodies can be frail. it was a weakness he exploited on several occasions.

"If no other questions, we should let her rest. The more rests she gets the sooner she will be back into combat.", says Diego aiming to leave the room with Iona. He wasn't about to leave the two of them alone. He still wasn't sure where Valkyrie stood on the turf wards. If Iona left, Diego was already thinking of going as well. He had to report in to Null.
Supernaturalist

Iona

"Your food should be coming soon. Here's the call-button should you need a nurse." Iona makes sure that the device is clipped to The Major's pillow before asking "Anything else that you need?" She answers any questions that Valkyrie has before stepping outside the room. As she does, Iona flags down a female Aid and informs her that The Major has breakfast coming, and may need some assistance eating.

Looking to Diego, the young cyborg acknowledges him before leaving. "Ascendant, with your permission, I'll take my leave. I have some work to do."
OOC: I'm interested in pursuing the whole "villian" angle for acquiring advanced medicine. Could Iona use her time to start developing some lines of research devoted to such things? I know she does not have the pps to devote towards it now, but that could be next on her list of projects. It's a good thing she doesn't need to sleep. :lol:
Sakuro

Post by Sakuro »

Valkyrie didn't look happy Iona's assessment of her condition. She likely expected it, but hearing it made it more real. Someone was confirming her unfit state. Her cheek muscles flexed. Her jaw clenched ... which made her wince.

"I can't say that I am happy to hear this. I ... I should rest. Maybe later I can learn more about the state of affairs. Thank you, again, for your aid."

She didn't look tired. But she agreed, to give you the exit you needed. The woman looked frustrated. But she couldn't even act on that frustration in her situation. Instead she laid there. Immobile and noble in her disposition. The Major's eyes follow Iona as she sets up the call button for her. She doesn't move. She can't. Not without a great deal of pain.

You leave. The door closed behind you. Separating you from the bed ridden warrior woman.

Iona calls over a nurse, who after hearing Iona's observations offers her a nod of acknowledgement.

"I was going to check in on her after you finished."

... the woman comments, then looks to Diego, and decides not to linger. Soon stepping away from the two of you.
mrdent12

Post by mrdent12 »

Diego Gonzalez

Left alone with Valkyrie again, Diego doesn't linger long. As he was reminded, despite the suit, she was still a regular human with regular human mental capacity and emotions. For most, he wouldn't care. If this was chess, she would be a rook, so couldn't be treated like a regular pawn. "As you request, I will ensure Corporal Sanders can provide whatever briefing material you request to catch up on the current situation. Even if we defeat Stronghold, a bigger battle is coming between the factions and beyond. Something all consuming beyond what any man can imagine. We will need your strength and fighting ability for all these battles. to come.", says Diego modulating his voice to have a hint of compassion.

Before departing, Diego turns around. "For the fighting you mentioned, do you recall what you were fighting?", inquiries Diego. There would be more time to get information. The who might help for the short term.

After getting his answer, whatever it may be, Diego heads to the operation center in hopes of finding Tilly. If not in there, he heads to her office. If not there, he leaves a note indicating his wishes for Valkyrie to be briefed as desired. If there, he gives the instructions orally.

Once out of the regular bases operations eye, he reaches into the Ascendant link for his fellow Ascendants. We have rescued Valkyrie who is reporting she was fighting somewhere and Imperator went into a machine to repair it. She was not composed, due to the extent of her injuries, so I did not press further. If any of you are able to reach Praetor Null, alerting him to her rescue in case he desires to talk with her is reccomended., sends out Diego.
Sakuro

Post by Sakuro »

"There is always war. Conflict. It is the nature of the world. That is something Imperator hoped to change."

... Valkyrie responded dourly when Diego spoke of future battles beyond retaking Hadron City. She brooded quietly for a moment. Thinking introspectively on the Ascendant's question about who she had been fighting before falling from the sky can returning to the city. She began slowly. As if piecing together fragmented memories.

"There were two groups. They fought each other as much as they fought us. One group was beautiful and metal. The other group were horrific monsters. I don't know what either of them were."

Major Karlsten stares at Diego quietly after that. There are no question from her in there here and now. No attempt at holding a conversation. She is no doubt still sorting through her experiences and coming to grips with her current hospitalized condition.

Finding Tilly isn't difficult. She is bouncing between bossing people around int he command center and talking to a field team over coms. Some sort of scouting mission that got rough, and now she is walking them through exfiltration and making sure they have support the bring them back to base safely. She does pause to assure Diego that she will see to Major Karlsten's briefing once she finishes ... assuming the Major is ready for that.

In the privacy of some dark room, perhaps his quarters, Diego communes with his peers. The physical world slows. Grows duller. Quieter. He addresses the other Ascendants and it as though four doors open in his mind.

The first voice is a vibrating warble.

"I am aware and informed the Praetor earlier in the week. Since you neglected to."

There was an emphasis on that. No so subtle pointing out Diego's neglect, and someone else having to pick up the slack for his failings.

The next voice is like a hurricane. Wind and rain beating against the world.

"A week? Why wasn't I informed of this sooner?"

Following the storm-voice is crackling energy and grating metal shaped into words. Dynamic and dangerous but controlled.

"We have confirmation that Imperator is alive then. Good."

The fourth voice that joins the chorus sounds like and old modem screeching and buzzing sounds into words.

"You mentioned he was repairing a machine. Why is that important? What is this machine?"
mrdent12

Post by mrdent12 »

Diego Gonzalez

Diego chose to ignore the obvious owner of the remark attempting to assert superiority. Diego got the win, so he was't going to bow to someone else.
"A week? Why wasn't I informed of this sooner?"
It was easy enough to know who the next voice belonged. He respected her enough to respond. I as occupied planting misdirections throughout the city in order to draw attention from Ward 3 after Iona carrying a nearly dead Valkyrie in her power suit around., remarks Diego. Valkyrie is stable now, but highly confused., adds Diego.
"We have confirmation that Imperator is alive then. Good."
No, he is dead according to Valkyrie. Whatever battle between beautiful metal group and horrific monsters was raging took a heavy toll on her mind. I could not even get where she was from her., continues Diego in his responses.
"You mentioned he was repairing a machine. Why is that important? What is this machine?"
Valkyrie was not clear minded enough to expand on it's importance. If Imperator deemed it important enough to die to repair, it must have been vital to something. Once she recovers more, I can press more. If any of you wish to speak with her, I can arrange for Iona to be occupied and other staff to clear the private room., adds Diego.
Sakuro

Post by Sakuro »

"At least you are covering your tracks. I would like to speak with Valkyrie when she is able to receive visitors."

... the windstorm howled into the sound of words. Then there was silence from all parties when Diego states that Major Karlsten claimed that Imperator was actually dead. After a minute, it what the crackling energy and grating of metal on metal that broke the silence.

"It doesn't sound like she is thinking clearly. Valkyrie may not be a reliable source of information."