For all of your Play-By-Post games.
Supernaturalist

Re: [IC] MnM 3e - In the Shadow of Imperator: Abduction

Post by Supernaturalist »

John Steiner
HP:4
Cnd: Mentally Impaired
PP:0

John ruminates over what Ascendant Chen has told him. "So, your intel indicates that my personal identity is not public knowledge yet, huh?"

The burly veteran glances over at Diego's gloomy form. "What if we could lure her away from her hotel to a place of our choosing? Maybe I could give the little hottie a call...ask her out on a date. If she's short on time, maybe I could get her to meet me for a drink after her rehearsal." John pauses for a moment to see if there are any immediate objections before proceeding.

"It would be nice to pick a location that has security camera blind spots. May be we could drug her and lead her out to a waiting vehicle in an unobserved alley or parking lot."
mrdent12

Post by mrdent12 »

Diego Gonzalez
HP: 1
CND: Haunted
Form: Mist

Diego was already working out in his head what to do. From experience, he figured drugging her and whisking her away would work fine. If they could find an abandoned home, store closed down, or get an air bnb all the better. It would all require boosting a car or perhaps getting a rental. A rental would be a problem largely because of the driver license requirement. It would alleviate the need for covering up a car theft though. He figured if the guard didn't want to take the license to look at it, he could morph one easy enough. The less crime they did the better.

When John spoke, it interjected into Diegos chain of thought. It didn't disrupt it though. "A blind spot can be created if Iona can be subtle enough with it. If Stronghold knows who you are, they likely tracked your movements into Jaguar territory. Whether or not the Jaguars are in league with Stronghold as to share your identity I do not know. So, Stronghold may be watching the woman. If they are not, a friendly face might lure her somewhere we can grab her after slipping something into her drink. Either way, drugging her, getting her into a vehicle, and getting her to a safe house prepared in advance was the optimal route.", says Diego.

"Is there a preferred method of communicating when we have her?", inquired Diego of Chen. He knew the answer was the ascendant link, but didn't want to let to Iona about it.
Full disclaimer, I've never used an Air BNB, so not even sure what is required to get one. Rental cars I know you can book in advance, but its been a while since I got one so my knowledge of the procedure there is limited as well.
Sakuro

Post by Sakuro »

A single nod of confirmation is all that John receives in response to question about the level of exposure his identity had suffered. Zachary looks between the man and the black cloud as they voice pieces of a potential plan.

"A plan of action is already forming. Good."

Despite the positive, or encouraging words, Zachary's tone was stoically neutral as it warbled from his vibrating body. A moment later his eyes focused on Diego, as the Ascendant asked about how they should communicate.

"The usual means will suffice."

His eyes lingered a few seconds, then swept over the table, taking the trio in all together.

"How soon will you be ready to depart? I can have transport setup for you as early as this evening."
Evelyn Gracen, in AEGIS Squad
Storyteller for In the Shadow of Imperator
Storyteller for Geneforge: the Created
Supernaturalist

John Steiner

"After our first unexpected "date", she told me that if I came to one of her performances, I could take her out to dinner. " John struggles to remember the excact details of their night on the Initium Novum Tower's dance floor. "I could "pop in" on one of her shows...or maybe just a rehearsal. That would give me the opportunity to put her on the spot about the date she owes me. It's been quite a while since I've been to Vegas, but I think I could pick a nice out-of-the-way restaurant. We could make reservations a little late so that the prime-time dining crowd will have thinned out. When she goes to the rest room, I could slip something into her drink or sprinkle it on her food."

He rubs his chin as he fleshes out more of the details of the scheme. "We should probably have our own car and driver...someone to pick her up and then be waiting after we leave the restaurant. Of course, if she says that she's too busy to go out any time soon, then we'll need an alternate plan. But at least this option gives us the chance to nab her without having to infiltrate her hotel and potentially use force."
Supernaturalist

Iona
VP: 1
Cnd: Normal
EP:3
Dominion Point: 0

Iona's soft voice follows up on John's comments. "Obviously we want to reduce our exposure to any security cameras that might be networked with face-recognition software. We will still need to work hard on our disguises and try to avoid moving about it well-traveled places."

Iona then looks to each person in the room "But I can certainly disable any security cameras that we deem necessary. It may not be a good idea to use the same vehicle to pick up Ms Semenov from the hotel and the restaurant. Her hotel will probably have lots of people around and any attempt made to disable the feed will probably be noticed. If you are at an out of the way restaurant late at night, then that will be less risky. Plus there will be fewer possible witnesses who can identify the make, model, and liscence plate of the vehicle."
mrdent12

Post by mrdent12 »

Diego Gonzalez

Diego couldn't help but notice both ignored Chens question. So, he jumped in to focus the discussion. "Before we make concrete plans, we need to spend a day scoping out the situation and securing a safe house. If your desire is to get alone time with the target, squash any hopes of that happening now. She is a target, not someone to seduce into bed for pleasure. Any seduction or attempts at it by you are to get into position to be held.", said Diego clearly addressing the last bit to John.

"How long will it take to make the drug that we can slip into the targets drink and knock her out? It should not be noticeable to her taste wise. I am sure Ascendent Chen has better things to do than hear us plan in detail.", inquires Diego of Iona. There was also the matter of getting a fake credit card, which Diego would need to see to and arranging the safe house. It mattered little if they traced the identity to his alias so long as the card could not be traced to Hadron City.
Supernaturalist

Iona

Iona focuses her attention between the two Ascendants. "While leaving as soon as possible would be better for the purposes of planning, I do believe the quality of the drug is more important. We want something subtle that acts a little more slowly than a typical sedative. It should slowly produce fatigue along with euphoria. The very gradual effect makes it less likely to provoke panic even in someone who is on their guard. It should be free of color and odor and have a consistency of pure water without any oily or gritty residue. To insure all of these features as well as the mixtures chemical stability, I 'll need some time. Can you give me until early tomorrow morning? If I'm done sooner, then I'll notify you immediately. Assuming that you are all ready, we can depart at that time."
Sakuro

Post by Sakuro »

Zachary looked between Diego and Iona, watching the interplay. Instead of verbally responding, he initially shook his head when Iona proposed contacting him when she was finished. Whenever that might be. Then, rather than speak directly to her, he looked at Diego and spoke to his fellow Ascendant.

"At noon I will forward you the location of your transport. After that you will have fifteen minutes to arrive. Bring only what you can fit in a suitcase."

There was only a brief pause, followed by a stirring of air. Then the black blur was gone in a rush of inhuman movement so fast he had risen from his seat and left the room without any such action being visible. He was simply gone.
mrdent12

Post by mrdent12 »

Diego Gonzalez

"Understood.", simply replies Diego to Chen.

When Ascendent Chen left, Diego addressed the others in the room. His voice was monotone as always. "We have until noon tomorrow. Once we arrive, we will secure accommodations and scout out the abduction to finalize the plan. While I see to procuring accommodations and a rental car, is there anything you will need John?", inquired Diego. It all seemed clear in his mind and all three of them going came across as overkill, but if past is prologue something was going to happen. It always did.

"Our abduction attempt at the hospital was supposed to be easy, but that did not work as well as expected. So, be prepared. The Macrovirus is still running rampant out there.", says Diego.
Supernaturalist

John Steiner
"...is there anything you will need John?", inquired Diego.
Though John was mostly calm on the outside, he was quietly uncomfortable that he was about to meet Anna again but under sinister circumstances. "No, Ascendant, there are a few things I need to gather, but at the moment I don't believe I need special equipment aside from a burner phone. I've gotten used to disguising myself lately, so I can take care of that on my own."

He pauses a moment as if briefly in thought before looking back to Diego. "Since we'll be transitioning to a rental car, I suppose that will rather limit the weaponry I can take. I know this is supposed to be another clandestine operation, but I like to prepare for the worst. Of course if you plan on renting a full-size SUV or van, then I may not have to skimp on arms."

John mentally runs through a list of other minor things he needs: a nice change of cloths, cologne, some tasteful "bling" to enhance his appearance for Anna, and of course a little extra cash. There is no romance without finance.
mrdent12

Post by mrdent12 »

Diego Gonzalez

"We will either get a rental vehicle in some manner or procure a vehicle somehow. Either way, bringing too heavy of weaponry will be added risk. If we get to the point of a fire fight with police or Stronghold the mission will be likely lost at that point. The objective is to capture the target, hold her until the vote, and release her after it goes our way. If we get into a gun fight on the first step, the board members vote will known to have been tainted. Likewise on the second step. The third step of releasing her should also avoid weapon fire if possible.", remarks Diego.

John had a tendency to like to bring heavy weapons when they needed to be covert. Given their track record, covert rarely worked. Either a lackey of Dr. Sokolov walked around drawing attention to himself, Stronghold was better armed than expected, a plague was beseting the land, or other incident outside of their control. Diego was starting to give up on covert when Iona or John were involved. Still, this mission required it.
Supernaturalist

Iona
HP: 0

Working upon the sedative takes up most of her remaining free time. There are a few moments of “downtime” when a reagent or some part of the admixture must boil or cool for a moment. During these periods, Iona picks out her clothing, accessories, and makeup for her disguise. Slight distortions to her facial features, covering her eyes with glasses, and stuffing her shoes to increase her height are some of the little ways she can go about deceiving modern technologies. It’s not a guarantee to deceive recognition software, but the point is to make it as difficult as possible.

As she wraps up that phase of her sedative, she looks to test it properties.
OOC: I’m going to include the Expertise: Science roll. Just curious, is there anyone in the infirmary that Iona could test the sedative on who is willing? Perhaps a patient who wants a painkiller? If not, then maybe some brown-noser who wants to get into favor with the Beauty Queen?

Here's the roll: Expertise Roll to Make Drug: 1d20+15 17. So, a 17. I'm worried that it won't be good enough. I'll burn my only HP to get a better result. Here's the roll: Expertise Roll to Make Drug - Reroll: 1d20+15 18. Since I get to add 10 to that roll, it's actually a 28. I have removed the HP.
Supernaturalist

John Steiner

John has some work to do before departure. His first order of business is seeking out Corporal Sander for some much needed help with a proper disguise.
OOC: I’ll assume that John can track her down somewhere in the base to speak with her.
Though Sander is a busy woman, John knows that his own skills at disguise are inadequate for the mission and that he must seek her help. He trusts her more than Iona for some reason…maybe because she’s a flesh-and-blood human being. “Corporal, if I could trouble you for a moment. I’m not confident at my ability to piece together a proper disguise for Vegas. If you have any items and suggestions for me, I’d greatly appreciate it.

OOC: Also, I just want to confirm that John is still "Mentally Impaired".
Sakuro

Post by Sakuro »

After nearly ten hour working with chemicals Iona has her final product. Whether it meets her needs or not, she doesn't have time to create another batch. Still, testing is warranted. She looks for a test subject. In the lab she sees a number of her medical staff, she gave priority access to the laboratory. In the infirmary there are also plenty of patients she could approach. Some with painful injuries. Others locks in some state of shock or trauma, but otherwise conscious.
OOC wrote:Make a Deception check for the disguise. Keep a note of the result, or where in the threat you made the roll. We'll likely need it later.

As for getting a test subject, you will either have to convince someone, or force it upon them one way or another. Who you approach and how you administer the test is up to you.

Diego has made the Corporal into the bases' administrator. While this keeps her busy doing the work of a Major, people generally know where she is. When she is on base. After asking a couple people John is able to track her back to her down to the command and control room, where she is coordinating an operation. Which is difficult given the poor state of your communication system. During a pause in the action John is able to get a moment alone with the woman. When John mentioned Vegas, Tilly raised a single well defined eyebrow.

"Las Vegas? Why are you going to Las Vegas?"

OOC wrote:By now John has recovered from the mechanical impact of the Mentally Impaired Condition. You are free to continue using the experience that brought it on as RP fuel if you like.
mrdent12

Post by mrdent12 »

Diego Gonzalez

With the plan outline generally agreed upon, Diego went to work planning out some of the logistical details with all the information he could gather. There was the briefing packet, which proved useful on planning the course of action. He was experienced enough to know things change between when briefing material is compiled and when operations occur. Even the briefing material might be lacking some details the preparer didn't find relevant. If this went south, Hadron City would become even more restrictive and Diego didn't even want to imagine what Praetor Null would do. So, Diego made sure to know the briefing packet material to factor into the planning.

Certain details such as stash house, how they get a vehicle, and the best place to do the abduction were crucial. One slip up could ruin a kidnaping. Everything could be planned perfectly except maybe how they'd get a vehicle. With no vehicle or one that was reported as stolen, they couldn't really drive off with the target. It was similar for the stash house. A big hotel would mean big surveillance. The wrong part of town and you'd get some unwanted visitors.

Building the plan just on the briefing material wasn't going to work. Diego would need open source information. Local news, classified ads, periodicals, and other information would be vital. It all had to be gathered in such a manner that people snooping on internet track going out of the city wouldn't suspect anything.

To that end, Diego decided upon another expedition to an internet cafe or wifi spot with a tablet. Someone with a tablet looking to get out of the city due to the rise in danger wouldn't be too out of place. Las Vegas being the destination, well that was as good a place as any other. There was also an ulterior motive of seeing around the city. Ward 8, where he previously went probably wasn't the best place to go. That area was a former battlefield. some of the department heads were a bit snippy with him, so while he trusted them to do their job that was about it. Tilly also, was likely busy. So, Diego went looking for the security team. They'd know some of the best places to do some internet research on Las Vegas.
Action wise, Diego is going to try and talk to someone who knows a wifi hotspot like a cafe or something where he can do his open source research on Las Vegas. The researching bit I can edit in or write up in another post.