IC - Against the Cult of the Reptile God - Chapter 1: The Darkness in Orlane

For all of your Play-By-Post games.
Arkrite

Re: IC - Against the Cult of the Reptile God - Chapter 1: The Darkness in Orlane

Post by Arkrite »

Grover lets out a scream as the rapier plunges into his side, slips and clips his head against the side of the bridge. Between the blood loss and the head injury the man goes limp on the base of the bridge.

The rock wielding villagers who'd been hurling rocks at Jessica, Ramne and Cirilli. For their efforts a number of them had been knocked down as the old man launched tiny purple blasts of magic which bent and twisted to find their targets. The villainous villagers efforts to hit back appear to have been in vain, as Cirilli stands valiantly in front of the old man holding up her stolen shutters like a mighty shield, deflecting rock after rock without fail.

When they see Grover fall the stills standing villagers drop their weapons and run.
OOC: And with that the fight is over. Grover is still alive, but he's going to need a bandage if he's going to stay that way. The other bad guys will remain unconscious long enough for you to make up your mind on how to handle them.
Flynnarrel

Re: IC - Against the Cult of the Reptile God - Chapter 1: The Darkness in Orlane

Post by Flynnarrel »

Aldan
Passive Perception:14 | Init:+4 | AC:17 | HP:14/14

"Sister, could you see to Grover, please?" Aldan calls back to the cleric. "Everyone, we have, I think, less than a minute to secure the sleepers. Tyragorn, could I ask that you keep prepared to subdue Derek here, I'd like to strip him of weapons and such before tying him up and getting him and these others into a jail cell. He might wake up during it."
"Something pithy this way comes."
Shock

Post by Shock »

Tyragorn
HP: 21 AC:18

"I'll tie him up first in case he wakes during my search." Tyragorn pulled out a length of rope and secured the assassin's hands tightly then searched him for concealed pockets and weapons.
Flynnarrel

Post by Flynnarrel »

Aldan warns of the rogueish trick to have items specifically concealed against discovery if the hands are tied a specific way so vary how the hands are tied then search again, possibly by a different person, even.

He'll secure the sheriff or deputies, as needed.
Arkrite

Post by Arkrite »

Jessica looks less than enthusiastic, but she nods to Aldan's request, "I will do my best."

Tyragorn and Aldan's efforts quickly result in the unconscious men being securely tied to the point that even Aldan is confidant they'd be hard pressed to escape without outside help.
A quick search reveals that each of the men are carrying a normal dagger on their belts, though Grover also has a dagger sticking out of his boot though it could hardly be called hidden.

Derrek, on the other hand, as a number of small metal blade hidden on his body. None of them are really worth keeping as a weapon, largely they're just thin sharp blades the length of a finger, but any one of them could have injured or killed in a unexpected attack.

Nothing else of value is found beyond a handful of gold and silver, totaling 8 gold and 17 silver between them.
Shock

Post by Shock »

Tyragorn

Tyragorn was careful not to touch the edges of any of the blades he found on the assassin, just in case they were poisoned. "These should be melted down and made into tools more useful to the village."

"We need to see how the others are doing but I don't think we should leave these unguarded." He strained his ears to try to hear any sounds of battle.
Flynnarrel

Post by Flynnarrel »

[I was waiting for the result of Tyragorn's Perception check.]

Aldan recommends that Derek's blades occupy a separate bag for 'possibly poisoned'. He suggests they give them to the town to do with what they see fit.

Toward that end, he'll bid the others wait here and he'll go back to the inn to get the mayor if he's available, apprise him, and ask what they should do with the prisoners.
Arkrite

Post by Arkrite »

The sounds of shouting can be heard from your location, and it sounds like there is the sound of a metal on metal strike every once in awhile.

"Cirilli and I can stay here and watch them if you'd like," Ramne offers, "I need to rest my leg before I could go back anyways."

Cirilli gives Ramne a dirty look, but doesn't decide to correct him.
Shock

Post by Shock »

Tyragorn

Tyragorn nodded to the old man. "Watch them carefully. If they escape they may warn their master and that would mean trouble."

He turned to the others as he started toward the sound of battle. "Let's hurry and try to end this."
Flynnarrel

Post by Flynnarrel »

Aldan will knock his shortbow and peer around a corner for the source of battle.
Arkrite

Post by Arkrite »

Ramne smiles serenely, his fingers glowing with magical energy, "Let them try."

As the team makes it's way back to the north they find that the troops lead by the mayor holding strong. While outnumbered, the Mayor's forces are better armed, and seem to have more trained warriors on their side. More importantly they have less injured combatants on their side.

While the mayor's forces are armed with spears and sword, the oncoming forces carry farming implements at best, and firewood at worst.
Flynnarrel

Post by Flynnarrel »

Aldan calmly tied a piece of fabric to the shaft of his arrow as his Mage Hand carried a 5 pound bag of flour 30 ft above the heads of the enemy mob. He calmly knocked and drew as the Mage Hand winked out at his bidding, dropping the bag of flour among them. As the cloud of flour arose in a spreading plum, Aldan, resplendent in his finely trimmed mage robes, yells out "Subduing Fireball!" as he passed the knocked arrow over an opened lantern and loosed, not to hit any particular target but through the cloud of flour. In the growing night it should seem as if a fiery streak shot from Aldan's position and a brief yet bright conflagration erupted among the powder-blinded and gluten-coughing crowd.

He doubted anyone would be significantly hurt, it should be more startling than anything else and make the crowd rethink their life choices.

He tucks his shortbow behind his back and looks mageful and imposing.
Shock

Post by Shock »

Tyragorn

Tyragorn ducked as Aldan's spell flew over his head. He'd never heard of a "subdoing fireball" but it seemed to leave the crowd of enemies dazed. Before they could recover, he charged in and knocked them around some more, leaving a couple unconscious and more vulnerable to the followup from his allies.
Arkrite

Post by Arkrite »

Between the startling affect of the "fireball" and the sheer unstoppable force of the paladin, the invader's line falters. A few scatter to avoid the fireball, other retreat from the armored assault, to the cheers of the forces lead by the Mayor.

The end result is that the allied forces break through the enemy line, surround the ones who hadn't run and beat them down. After that teams of villagers rush out to chase down the runners while the mayor waves you over.

"The good news is that we've won the day," He looks at the many prisoners, "The bad news is that we now have a new problem. We can hold these people for a time, but we can't play jailer for long. Harvest is on the way, and even if we rotate the guards we won't be able to take care of the farms and the prisoners."

"We need to find the source of... what ever this is, and soon. If it can be reversed," Zakarias keeps a stoic expression, but his voice lowers, "I can only pray it can be reversed, the alternative is to horrible to contemplate.
Flynnarrel

Post by Flynnarrel »

Aldan
Passive Perception:14 | Init:+4 | AC:17 | HP:14/14

"Trouble is, we only have vague directions to the lair of whatever 'serpent goddess' these folk have been exposed to." Aldan says he'll explain all they've learned so far including mentions of swamps and directions and times. "Any ideas?"