The most petty thing you'd do as a comics creator

The place to talk about your favorite novels, comic books and web comics.
Ares
Site Admin

Re: The most petty thing you'd do as a comics creator

Post by Ares »

csyphrett wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 9:32 pm The rumor going around is Wally West is the big bad of future state. Can anyone confirm? Because I would retcon everything that has happened to him under Didio in a second
CES
I'd retcon everything that happened to Wally under DiDio's run regardless. Retcon everything that happened to Billy Batson too while I'm at it.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
Ken

Post by Ken »

Bahh. I'd retcon everything to happened to DC under Didio, except the following 32 comic books: The Brave and the Bold, vol. 3 #1-16; Terra #1-4, and Power Girl vol. 2 #1-12.
My Amazing Woman: a super-hero romantic comedy podcast.

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.
csyphrett

Post by csyphrett »

Ken wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 6:37 am Bahh. I'd retcon everything to happened to DC under Didio, except the following 32 comic books: The Brave and the Bold, vol. 3 #1-16; Terra #1-4, and Power Girl vol. 2 #1-12.
That's almost twenty years of stuff, Ken. Surely there was something in that time you liked other than these 32 issues
CES
Ken

Post by Ken »

csyphrett wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 3:18 pm
Ken wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 6:37 am Bahh. I'd retcon everything to happened to DC under Didio, except the following 32 comic books: The Brave and the Bold, vol. 3 #1-16; Terra #1-4, and Power Girl vol. 2 #1-12.
That's almost twenty years of stuff, Ken. Surely there was something in that time you liked other than these 32 issues
CES
Batman '66. Wonder Woman '77. Various issues of Scooby Doo Team-Up, not that any of them were canonical.

I did enjoy the parts of the parts of the most recent Hawkman series that I read, but I haven't finished the last year or so. And I did enjoy portions of Doomsday Clock. I just don't know that I enjoyed them enough that I wouldn't be willing to sacrifice them.

But, yeah there's a reason why I refer to the past 17 or so years as the "Radium Age."
My Amazing Woman: a super-hero romantic comedy podcast.

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.
NoOneofConsequence

Post by NoOneofConsequence »

Can one of the imprisoned heroes be 80s Monica Captain Marvel, who is shocked to learn that her doppelgänger first tanked her rep as leader of the Avengers (way way back in the day) before blithely giving up her name - and then her second one - to Mar-Vell's idiot son, and on and on and on? Please?

Also the original Night Thrasher?
What is tolerance? It is the consequence of humanity. We are all formed of frailty and error; let us pardon reciprocally each other's folly. That is the first law of nature.
Voltaire, "Tolerance" (1764)
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

Have a spaceship from the United Planets show up under a flag of truce to a diplomatic meeting with high ranking members of the Khund Empire at a Khund religious sanctuary within Khundian space.

Have the second in command of the United Planets’ vessel (Commander Marty Stu, a woman, despite her gender-bent name) launch into a xenophobic diatribe about how much she hates the Khunds and demand her captain launch a pre-emptive attack. When her captain tells her “no,” she should physically assault the captain, disable her, and launch the attack. After destroying the Khund’s holy site and killing dozens of the defenseless Khunds, the Khund counter-attack will destroy the United Planets ship and kill almost all of the crew... But not Marty Stu!

Marty Stu then gathers up the dead bodies of the Khunds, rigs them with explosives, and uses them to ambush the next Khundian ship that arrives in the system to rescue survivors of the battle.

Then the Legionnaires show up, arrest Marty Stu, and after a swift court martial, she’s cashiered out of the service and handed over to the Khunds for war crimes. A time-traveling Superman gives a heartfelt speech where he explains to some of the Legion Cadets (and thus the readers) the importance of the laws and customs of war, international norms, and why war criminals are the lowest form of scum.

BECAUSE #%@& YOU STAR TREK DISCOVERY!
BARON wrote:I'm talking batgirl with batgirl. I love you internet.
csyphrett

Post by csyphrett »

Batgirl III wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 7:04 am Have a spaceship from the United Planets show up under a flag of truce to a diplomatic meeting with high ranking members of the Khund Empire at a Khund religious sanctuary within Khundian space.

Have the second in command of the United Planets’ vessel (Commander Marty Stu, a woman, despite her gender-bent name) launch into a xenophobic diatribe about how much she hates the Khunds and demand her captain launch a pre-emptive attack. When her captain tells her “no,” she should physically assault the captain, disable her, and launch the attack. After destroying the Khund’s holy site and killing dozens of the defenseless Khunds, the Khund counter-attack will destroy the United Planets ship and kill almost all of the crew... But not Marty Stu!

Marty Stu then gathers up the dead bodies of the Khunds, rigs them with explosives, and uses them to ambush the next Khundian ship that arrives in the system to rescue survivors of the battle.

Then the Legionnaires show up, arrest Marty Stu, and after a swift court martial, she’s cashiered out of the service and handed over to the Khunds for war crimes. A time-traveling Superman gives a heartfelt speech where he explains to some of the Legion Cadets (and thus the readers) the importance of the laws and customs of war, international norms, and why war criminals are the lowest form of scum.

You're not the first person I have heard say that Burnham would not have been able to stay on a Fed ship, especially not an experimental ship, in real life. I always wondered how Lorca could get her assigned to the Discovery after starting the Klingon War
CES
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

Batgirl III wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 7:04 am Have a spaceship from the United Planets show up under a flag of truce to a diplomatic meeting with high ranking members of the Khund Empire at a Khund religious sanctuary within Khundian space.

<Sigh>

this would be MUCH better as an Avengers story, but since it's you i'll OK it...
AVENGERS(FRANCHISE ERA)/STAR TREK DISCOVERY CROSS
We open up on an Avengers Team(Cap, Wanda, Vision, Simon, Beast, Valkyrie, Carol Danvers) waking up on the Klingon Religious Santuary, having been blasted out of their time by Kang The Conqueror. The opening event's of Discovery play out as normal UNTILL Burnham(Marvel would use the actual names, having got permission from Paramount cause Movie Money) lauches the Attack. Cap(having been able to talk the Klingon's into this in the first place) gives the crew their marching orders, saving 5% of the gathered Klingon's. Unfortunately, Carol and Simon couldn't hit atmo in time to stop the return fire(having been in the middle of Search & Rescue Operations).

When Marty comes down to rig the bodies, she get's jumped by Valkyrie(Who spotted her as she was sorting through the dead. There'd be a couple of panels before showing The Klingon's practically worshipping the ground she walk's on, making her uncomfortable), who's screaming at her about her Dishonorable & Cowardly actions, it taking all four strong folk to pull her off her.

This time, Cap prevents the rescue ships from killing her, instead talking to both Federation and Klingon assembly's into Court-martialing her and sending her over to the Klingon's for War Crimes(giving his usual "Cap is the Perfect Hype-man" Speeches).

As the Avengers team vanishes after Burnham land's on the Planet Rura Pentay, we see Kang give a grin as he say's into a recorder
"It's sad what happened to her, but i'll not have a Woman LIKE THAT polluting my Family Tree. I'm a Conqueror, not a Genocidist...."
NoOneofConsequence

csyphrett wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 10:37 pm You're not the first person I have heard say that Burnham would not have been able to stay on a Fed ship, especially not an experimental ship, in real life. I always wondered how Lorca could get her assigned to the Discovery after starting the Klingon War
CES
Because Mikey Spock is apparently Space Jesus or something. :?
What is tolerance? It is the consequence of humanity. We are all formed of frailty and error; let us pardon reciprocally each other's folly. That is the first law of nature.
NoOneofConsequence

Anybody remember the bit from Ultimatum where Nick Fury reveals that the Ultimateverse mutants were really just something human scientists cooked up in a lab?

Because I really want that to be the end of the current X-Men arc. We find out that mutants are really the result of Xavier's dad and a bunch of other preWW2 eugenicists trying to make ubermench, and that Xavier has known this all along.
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

If I recall correctly, Stan Lee’s initial idea was that the parents of all the original X-Men were going to have worked on the Manhattan Project and that’s was going to be the origin of mutants... But they never made that canon.
BARON wrote:I'm talking batgirl with batgirl. I love you internet.
NoOneofConsequence

I sort of have this vague idea where Xavier's secret gets out, including the fact that any mutant allegedly older than WW2 (including Wolverine and Apocalypse) has actually had their minds messed with by Xavier to create this false history, and that even Magneto's entire idea of mutant supremacy is something Charles pushed him towards to create a foil for himself back when he was trying to make the early mutants "acceptable" to the other superheroes and people in the government (like his early FBI contacts) until he'd amassed a big enough army that he didn't need the good will anymore. Almost all of their enemies have been created by Xavier, and even the concept of the Phoenix Force is a lie used as cover for his "success" with Jean. And it turns out that not only are all mutants the result of the experiments which Xavier has continued to carry out, the process is actually reversible.
All of this likely being exposed by the Juggernaut, who has finally, after years, managed to fully master and harness the power of Cyttorak, and has undone all the psychological damage Xavier inflicted on him even when they were young. He, probably with Franklin Richards and some others, defeat Xavier and the most hardcore/brainwashed of the X-Men. No longer under Xavier's influence and their real minds starting to return, the mutant population ranges from despondent and suicidal to angry and even exhilarated. The majority decide to give up their powers and try to go live normal lives. A handful decide to keep them and strive to become real superheroes who champion all of humanity instead of racial supremacists. A few may cling to their programing, and they become villains. (I've no idea who'd be who, but I think you could probably get a decent story out of Logan keeping his powers and just going off to try to figure out who he really is, given that whatever truth he thought he knew following House of M was just another lie.)

At the same time, we also find out that, yes, Steve Rogers is really and truly dead, having been so since being shot right after the first Civil War, and every one since then has been some sort of fake or imposter. In the end, no one can replace Steve, so the mantel of Captain America is retired. In its place is Team America (it can't be that hard to get the rights to the name), which includes Falcon, USAgent, Bucky, Battlestar, America Chavez and others, who strive to carry on Steve's legacies and ideals. (Chavez also learns that her life is a lie, that she's really from our world, and that every thing that happened in her first series was part of the sleep-learning induced brainwashing she had to undergo on a regular basis.)

Tony is also really dead. All that's left is an AI that controls a robot Iron Man suit.

Carol Danvers is revealed to really be a Kree super weapon designed to kill Earth's heroes and facilitate taking over he planet. She's defeated. Monica regains the mantel of Captain Marvel.

Something probably happens to the Fantastic Four, leaving Franklin by himself to create a new Future Foundation. Its membership includes SheHulk, who has been being mind controlled/manipulated/experimented on by the Leader all this time. Having freed herself from that, she's very happy with who she is and returns to her classic form. Anyone telling her she needs to be more masculine or something gets punched in the face. Also the real Squirrel Girl, who has been missing since Secret Wars and has gotten rid of the cos-playing fake who took her place. (Squirrel Girl has real squirrel ears, not fake ones.) Maybe also Moon Girl, after she has her head surgically removed from her butt and is given a clue transplant.
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

NoOneofConsequence wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 3:44 am I sort of have this vague idea where Xavier's secret gets out, including the fact that any mutant allegedly older than WW2 (including Wolverine and Apocalypse) has actually had their minds messed with by Xavier to create this false history, and that even Magneto's entire idea of mutant supremacy is something Charles pushed him towards to create a foil for himself back when he was trying to make the early mutants "acceptable" to the other superheroes and people in the government (like his early FBI contacts) until he'd amassed a big enough army that he didn't need the good will anymore. Almost all of their enemies have been created by Xavier, and even the concept of the Phoenix Force is a lie used as cover for his "success" with Jean. And it turns out that not only are all mutants the result of the experiments which Xavier has continued to carry out, the process is actually reversible.
All of this likely being exposed by the Juggernaut, who has finally, after years, managed to fully master and harness the power of Cyttorak, and has undone all the psychological damage Xavier inflicted on him even when they were young. He, probably with Franklin Richards and some others, defeat Xavier and the most hardcore/brainwashed of the X-Men. No longer under Xavier's influence and their real minds starting to return, the mutant population ranges from despondent and suicidal to angry and even exhilarated. The majority decide to give up their powers and try to go live normal lives. A handful decide to keep them and strive to become real superheroes who champion all of humanity instead of racial supremacists. A few may cling to their programing, and they become villains. (I've no idea who'd be who, but I think you could probably get a decent story out of Logan keeping his powers and just going off to try to figure out who he really is, given that whatever truth he thought he knew following House of M was just another lie.)

At the same time, we also find out that, yes, Steve Rogers is really and truly dead, having been so since being shot right after the first Civil War, and every one since then has been some sort of fake or imposter. In the end, no one can replace Steve, so the mantel of Captain America is retired. In its place is Team America (it can't be that hard to get the rights to the name), which includes Falcon, USAgent, Bucky, Battlestar, America Chavez and others, who strive to carry on Steve's legacies and ideals. (Chavez also learns that her life is a lie, that she's really from our world, and that every thing that happened in her first series was part of the sleep-learning induced brainwashing she had to undergo on a regular basis.)

Tony is also really dead. All that's left is an AI that controls a robot Iron Man suit.

Carol Danvers is revealed to really be a Kree super weapon designed to kill Earth's heroes and facilitate taking over he planet. She's defeated. Monica regains the mantel of Captain Marvel.

Something probably happens to the Fantastic Four, leaving Franklin by himself to create a new Future Foundation. Its membership includes SheHulk, who has been being mind controlled/manipulated/experimented on by the Leader all this time. Having freed herself from that, she's very happy with who she is and returns to her classic form. Anyone telling her she needs to be more masculine or something gets punched in the face. Also the real Squirrel Girl, who has been missing since Secret Wars and has gotten rid of the cos-playing fake who took her place. (Squirrel Girl has real squirrel ears, not fake ones.) Maybe also Moon Girl, after she has her head surgically removed from her butt and is given a clue transplant.
Hmmmm.......Like where your going with this, but you forgot to add Nomad(he was really alive the whole time, but was imprisoned by Xavier due to the brainwashing not taking), D-Man(Had surgery to fix his heart condition) and Jack Flagg(Had his death faked and just recently woke up from a Coma) into Team America...:D
NoOneofConsequence

You could probably put about a dozen people in Team America if not more. Free Spirit, new young versions of Patriot, Spirit of 76, and Golden Girl, maybe even Black Crow and Bantam if you wanted to.
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

I would retcon everything Jason Aaron, Jonathan Hickman and Nick Spencer have ever done at Marvel. All of it. I would literally make it the deluded fever dream of Paste Pot Pete after accidentally inhaling some vapors of a new, experimental adhesive. Because I get the feeling that sniffing glue would do less damage to my brain and to the Marvel Universe.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.