Pulse Pounding Adventures - Pulp and Film Serial Discussion

The place to talk about your favorite novels, comic books and web comics.
Ares
Site Admin

Re: Pulse Pounding Adventures - Pulp and Film Serial Discussion

Post by Ares »

RUSCHE wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 8:27 pm Off the wall question, what would you think about Doc Savage having something to do with Steve Rogers and Project Rebirth? With his travels, intellectual abilities he could have helped or inspired the project. He would most likely not wanted seen for military use though. Perhaps stolen in someway. Just curious.
Touching on this again, Doc didn't have anything to do with the Super Soldier Serum, but that doesn't mean he didn't help create Capt. America.

For one thing, Doc's aid, Long Tom Roberts, was likely called in to assist Howard Stark develop the Vita-Ray process that fully bonded the serum with Steve's cells. Afterwards, Doc was contacted by the military to first see if he could replicate the Super Soldier Serum using Steve's blood (Doc couldn't due to said Vita Ray process), and then to train Steve. Doc helped Steve get use to his new body, gave him training in various physical and mental disciplines like stealth, tactics, military history, acrobatics, armed and unarmed combat, etc. Some of Doc's aids like Monk Mayfair and Renny Renwick likely served as sparring partners to Steve.

Monk also probably helped Howard develop Cap's shield, but due to a quarrel with Howard and Ham Brooks, wound up creating the shield's unique properties in an unrepeatable accident. Once said properties were discovered and Steve revealed a knack for calculating spatial geometry, Doc probably helped Steve develop his unique shield throwing style.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

Geez, this idea turned project is starting to dominate the thread. I might want to create it's own thread in case someone wants to talk generic pulp fiction.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
RUSCHE

Post by RUSCHE »

Ares wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 6:09 am Geez, this idea turned project is starting to dominate the thread. I might want to create it's own thread in case someone wants to talk generic pulp fiction.
Because this thread and the world building idea rocks! The idea of Doc Savage and his crew helping Steve Rogers become Captain America is fun and in this setting makes sense. At least the way you ate representing it. Love it.
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

One thing I admit I keep flip-flopping on is Hellboy. Either I need to retcon his origin as having happened over 15-20 years ago so that a relatively young HB can interact with the heroes, OR I can make his origin part of the story, and we get the heroes thwarting Rasputin's summoning and end up with Hellboy being brought to Earth.

Woodclaw

Post by Woodclaw »

Ares wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:13 pm One thing I admit I keep flip-flopping on is Hellboy. Either I need to retcon his origin as having happened over 15-20 years ago so that a relatively young HB can interact with the heroes, OR I can make his origin part of the story, and we get the heroes thwarting Rasputin's summoning and end up with Hellboy being brought to Earth.
I would go with the second and have Hellboy modeling himself on some of these heroes as he grow up. To me Mignola kind of give a very pulp hero quality to HB's characterization.
"You're right. Sorry. Holy shit," I breathed, "heckhounds.”

WareHouse W (main build thread for M&M)
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

Woodclaw wrote: Fri Feb 01, 2019 4:14 pm
Ares wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:13 pm One thing I admit I keep flip-flopping on is Hellboy. Either I need to retcon his origin as having happened over 15-20 years ago so that a relatively young HB can interact with the heroes, OR I can make his origin part of the story, and we get the heroes thwarting Rasputin's summoning and end up with Hellboy being brought to Earth.
I would go with the second and have Hellboy modeling himself on some of these heroes as he grow up. To me Mignola kind of give a very pulp hero quality to HB's characterization.
Yeah, it's one reason why I included HB in the initial idea. Hellboy has a very modern pulp feel to it, or it did initially. Guys like the Torch of Liberty, Lobster Johnson and the Black Flame all added to that vibe, and HB specifically mentioned at one point that he's the worst shot the Torch of Liberty ever tried to train. I could easily see a young HB hanging out with guys like Capt. America, Doc Savage and Captain Marvel. I could even see HB's tendency to yell "POW!" when he punches something coming from Captain Marvel telling him stories as a kid, and every time Billy throws a punch during the telling he goes "POW!"

Though going that route means I should scratch HB off of Doc's call list and the image I'm building.

Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

Going to work on a revised version of that opener, but until then, here's the final version of that Pulp Hero group shot.

RUSCHE

Post by RUSCHE »

Ares wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 6:36 pm Going to work on a revised version of that opener, but until then, here's the final version of that Pulp Hero group shot.

The image looks great. Amazing possibilities with the group shown.
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

RUSCHE wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 5:26 pm
Ares wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 6:36 pm Going to work on a revised version of that opener, but until then, here's the final version of that Pulp Hero group shot.

The image looks great. Amazing possibilities with the group shown.
Thanks! That was definitely my most long term edit project in a while.

greycrusader

Post by greycrusader »

Would you mind listing the line-up? There are a few I honestly don't recognize, including the guy with the bionic hand and the young woman in blue with the cape.
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

greycrusader wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:35 pm Would you mind listing the line-up? There are a few I honestly don't recognize, including the guy with the bionic hand and the young woman in blue with the cape.
No problem. Starting from Left to Right, front row, we've got

Atomic Robo, of the comic series of the same name.
Conan the Barbarian
Jonathan Morris, of Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin.
Charlotte Aulin, also of Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin.
Jack Walters, of the video game Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth.
Black Venus, a Public Domain Golden Age superheroine.
Tonto, of the Lone Ranger franchise.
The Lone Ranger, of the same.
Miss Fury, another Public Domain Golden Age superheroine.
The Shadow
Wonder Woman
The Spider
Flash Gordon
T'chaka, the Black Panther.
Captain America
Doc Savage
The Phantom
Joseph Joestar, of the manga/anime Jojo's Bizarre Adventure
Zorro
Tarzan
Indiana Jones
Mandrake the Magician
Lothar
Prince Valiant
The Green Hornet
Kato
Miss Masque, another Public Domain Golden Age superheroine.
John Carter of Mars
Sheena, the original Queen of the Jungle

and in the back row

Captain Marvel
The Rocketeer
Miss Victory

greycrusader

Post by greycrusader »

Thanks! Not familiar with the PC game/video game characters, or the anime/manga guy.

And I guess this is going to involve time travel? What with Conan, John Carter, Lone Ranger, etc.

All my best.
greycrusader

Post by greycrusader »

Oh, have you finalized the villains and henchmen, beyond those mentioned in the original text?
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

greycrusader wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 3:41 am Thanks! Not familiar with the PC game/video game characters, or the anime/manga guy.

And I guess this is going to involve time travel? What with Conan, John Carter, Lone Ranger, etc.

All my best.
Time travel will be involved, though it isn't necessary for John Carter. John and the Martians age at ridiculously slow rates after reaching maturity. So suffice to say John, Dejah and the rest are all still active in the early 40s when this story takes place.

Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

greycrusader wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 3:42 am Oh, have you finalized the villains and henchmen, beyond those mentioned in the original text?
I've definitely messed with the list some. I've got a revised opener that I'm working on that will clarify some things, but the additional enemies are going to extend far past the big names that Armitage could learn about.

Some examples of other "Master Villains" that will be introduced will include Vandal Savage, Dracula, Ayesha (She Who Must Be Obeyed), Ra's Al Ghul, Ming the Merciless, Imhotep (of the 90's Mummy films), the Baroness (the Sky Pirate Phantom foe), as well as surprise appearances of Demona (of Gargoyles) and Heinrich Kemmler (of the Dresden Files).

Below these guys but above the standard mooks, I plan on throwing in as much as I can. I'm throwing in basically as many Nazi bad guys as I can. Captain Nazi, Master Man, Warrior Woman, Baron Blitzkrieg, Baron Zemo, Baron Blood, Rudol von Stroheim, Panzer, Lady Luger, Arnim Zola, the movie versions of Karl Ruprecht Kroenen and Ilsa Haupstein, etc. Heck, I'm even throwing in Armless Tiger Man.

I'm also considering including Fantômas as one of the original supervillains, as well as a Lupin the 2nd, meant to bridge the gap between Arsène Lupin and Lupin the 3rd.

I am trying to use a lot of Pulp villains, but there aren't a lot of good "2nd Tier" Pulp bad guys. Any Pulp villain that wasn't "Master Villain" quality tended to die pretty quickly, and even the Master Villains frequently died by the end of story. Guys like John Sunlight, Cadwiller Olden, Munro, the Living Pharoah and the Fly were all notable as Pulp villains because they actually survived to fight the hero a second time.

The "equal and opposites" from Germany and Italy you mentioned are on the "maybe" category, as they'd definitely have their uses, but if possible I want to focus on guys that either have a tangible connection to the heroes or have some degree of name recognition. Sun Koh as a Nazi Doc Savage, however, is just too good to pass up.

I also want to have fun with a few concepts, like Mr. Atom being a direct response to Atomic Robo, as well as re-use certain villain concepts where the gimmick was more important than the villain. One cool concept was The Eye of Terror, a Spider foe who was a man in a bullet-proof suit of armor that had mastered Death Ray technology, including a personal death ray built into the eye-like projector mounted on his helmet. Easy enough to re-use that concept.

So I suppose the shorter answer is "no, still working on the villains list" with the caveat that "but it's mostly ironed out". Still working on the outline of the story itself, but it's proving to be great fun.