Need help evaluating a PC

Where DMs can leave their notes, or ask other DMs for help with their game.
FuzzyBoots

Re: Need help evaluating a PC

Post by FuzzyBoots »

That sounds like the Snare sample power in the book and SRD. :)

Note that Triggered doesn't give you a lot of guidance on how it works. The Gadget Guide gives a few more details, but basically, the effect defaults to being somewhat hidden (DC 10+effect rank) and it's possible to disarm it or bypass it with a skill decided by the GM (DC 10+effect rank).

My read on the rules is that the Triggered, as a Flat Extra, is optional, and you can also use the effect just to attack with a regular attack roll.
BlueBiscuit

Post by BlueBiscuit »

Thanks, my eyes just tend to gloss over the sample powers so I had totally missed that.
BlueBiscuit

Post by BlueBiscuit »

Here's the updated build, if we missed anything:

Abilities
Strength 0, Stamina 0, Agility 1, Dexterity 2, Fighting 0, Intellect 5, Awareness 1, Presence 2

Powers
Wire Control:
Wire Sense: Remote Sensing 4 [Touch and Sight; Simultaneous; Feedback, Medium (Wire); Subtle], Wire Armor: Protection 15 [Sustained, Activation], Wire Flight: Movement 3 [Wall Crawling, Safe Fall, Swinging], ,
(23 points)
Wires:
Extra Limbs 5 [Sustained, Projection; Precise], Elongation 4 [Limited to Wires], Enhanced Strength 10 [Limited to Wire projections], Enhanced Advantages 3 [Fast Grab, Throwing Mastery 2]
(26 points)
Wire Snare:
Affliction 10 [Ranged, Cumulative, Resisted by Dodge, Broken by Strenght: Hindered, and Impaired, Defenseless and Immobile; Limited Degree; Accurate 4]
(24 points)

Equipment

Advantages
Chokehold, Improved Grab, Fast Grab, Improved Disarm, Improved Hold, Languages 1 [Native French, English], Seize Initiative, Throwing Mastery 2

Skills
Athletics (+0), Close Combat: Wires 9 (+9), Deception 6 (+8), Expertise: Gambling 8 (+13), Insight 6 (+7), Intimidation (+2), Perception 7 (+8), Persuasion (+2), Ranged Combat: Throwing 6 (+8), Sleight of Hand 2 (+4), Stealth 2 (+3)

Offense
Initiative +1
Wire Strike +9, Damage 10, +1 to grab checks
Wire Throwing +8, Damage 12
Wire Snare +10, Damage 10, DC 20, Resisted by Dogdge and Broken by Strenght

Defense
Dodge 5, Parry 5
Toughness 15 (Def Roll 0), Fortitude 6, Will 13

Power Points
Abilities 22 + Powers 73 + Advantages 5 + Skills 23 + Defenses 27 = Total 150
JDRook

Post by JDRook »

BlueBiscuit wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 7:20 am Here's the updated build, if we missed anything:
Powers
Wire Control:
Wire Sense: Remote Sensing 4 [Touch and Sight; Simultaneous; Feedback, Medium (Wire); Subtle], Wire Armor: Protection 15 [Sustained, Activation], Wire Flight: Movement 3 [Wall Crawling, Safe Fall, Swinging], ,
(23 points)
Totals are wrong here. I get 29p for this set. I suspect you may have missed that Visual counts as 2 senses for Remote Sensing, so that's 9p instead of 5. Also, I think you may have counted Movement rank at 1p/rank when it's 2, and you have forgotten the Activation discount. Also on Wire Sense, if the Medium is the wire, then I assume the wires have to extend all the way from the PC to the target; this should be problematic somehow, and it should come up occasionally, otherwise it's not really worth the discount.
Wires:
Extra Limbs 5 [Sustained, Projection; Precise], Elongation 4 [Limited to Wires], Enhanced Strength 10 [Limited to Wire projections], Enhanced Advantages 3 [Fast Grab, Throwing Mastery 2]
(26 points)
Points are right, but there's a conceptual problem. The Wires are bought as Projections, so attacks on them can't hurt, but if that's the case, Feedback for Wire Sense wouldn't make sense. Can the PC be hurt by attacking the wire or not? If they can, take out Projection; if they can't, take out Feedback.
Wire Snare:
Affliction 10 [Ranged, Cumulative, Resisted by Dodge, Broken by Strenght: Hindered, and Impaired, Defenseless and Immobile; Limited Degree; Accurate 4]
(24 points)
You missed the Extra Condition, which would make this 34p. My guess is you're using HeroLab and the prebuilt Snare has a Customize option and you just wrote in two Conditions per degree and forgot the Extra.
Advantages
Chokehold, Improved Grab, Fast Grab, Improved Disarm, Improved Hold, Languages 1 [Native French, English], Seize Initiative, Throwing Mastery 2

Skills
Athletics (+0), Close Combat: Wires 9 (+9), Deception 6 (+8), Expertise: Gambling 8 (+13), Insight 6 (+7), Intimidation (+2), Perception 7 (+8), Persuasion (+2), Ranged Combat: Throwing 6 (+8), Sleight of Hand 2 (+4), Stealth 2 (+3)
You're obviously trying to make a very powerful grabber, but you may have accidentally gone over PL. Close Combat gives you +9 with Wires, which also has Fast Grab, so you can hit with STR 10 and then Grab. Now Elongation also gives a bonus to grab check, so with Elong 4 and STR10 you have an effective Grab rank of 14, combined with +9 to hit, which bumps you up to PL12.
Offense
Initiative +1
Wire Strike +9, Damage 10, +1 to grab checks
Wire Snare +10, Damage 10, DC 20, Resisted by Dogdge and Broken by Strenght

Defense
Dodge 5, Parry 5
Toughness 15 (Def Roll 0), Fortitude 6, Will 13
As I said before, Elongation 4 would give you +4 to grab checks, so I don't know why that says +1. Using Throwing Mastery to cap out your Wire Throwing is clever. That Defense/Toughness tradeoff is pretty intense. Not sure I would allow it at my table with all of the other minmaxing on this character, but that's up to your GM.
Power Points
Abilities 22 + Powers 73 + Advantages 5 + Skills 23 + Defenses 27 = Total 150

I got 89 for powers for a full total of 166, or 16p over. That's a lot, but you have a lot of options. Right now your most expensive power is your Snare, but it's not that much better than your Wire Grab; in fact it's easily worse, when you consider your wire has 120' reach and your snare starts taking distance penalties at 250'. You could get rid of the Snare completely and then have extra points to fill out your PC. Or, if you really want to keep the Snare, it's big enough that the whole Wires powerset could be an Alternate Effect of it. That would save you 25p with the only downside being that you couldn't use Wires while you're using Snare, but you'd still have your Wire Control, so you'd be mobile, protected and aware. Heck, you could easily make Wire Control into an Array and save 13p, and then be able to drop Feedback for free.

I might even try rebuilding this myself, if you don't mind me posting it on my thread.
BlueBiscuit

Post by BlueBiscuit »

No problem, it would be interesting to see a more experienced take on this character. Thank you for looking it over, our game is tomorrow so we're gonna make a few last minute changes, which shouldn't be a problem given all except one of the players has had some kind of problem with building their characters.
BlueBiscuit

Post by BlueBiscuit »

So Here's the WIre updated version, which has also got a new backstory as a sort of Robin Hood-esque hacker who stole money from criminals and distributed to charities and such before he got his powers, but his activities has gotten him in trouble with a lot of powerful people who aren't afraid of attacking even superheroes

Abilities
Strength 0, Stamina 0, Agility 1, Dexterity 2, Fighting 0, Intellect 4, Awareness 1, Presence 2

Powers
Wire Control:
Wire Sense: Remote Sensing 4 [Touch and Vision; Simultaneous; Feedback, Medium (Wire); Subtle], Wire Armor: Protection 13 [Sustained, Activation], , ,
(21 points)
Wires:
Extra Limbs 2 [Sustained; Precise], Elongation 4 [Limited to Wires], Enhanced Strength 9 [Limited to Wire projections], Enhanced Advantages 3 [Fast Grab, Throwing Mastery 2]
(17 points)
Wire Flight:
Wire Flight: Movement 3 [Wall Crawling, Safe Fall, Swinging], Speed 2 [32m per round, 16km/h]
(8 points)
Wire Snare:
Affliction 8 [Ranged, Cumulative and Extra Condition, Resisted by Dodge, Broken by Strenght: Hindered, and Impaired, Defenseless and Immobile; Limited Degree; Accurate 4]
(28 points)

Equipment

Advantages

Skills
Athletics (+0), Close Combat: Wires 9 (+9), Deception 2 (+4), Expertise: Hacking 6 (+10), Insight 4 (+5), Intimidation (+2), Investigation 3 (+7), Perception 6 (+7), Persuasion (+2), Ranged Combat: Throwing 6 (+8), Stealth (+1), Technology 4 (+8)

Offense
Initiative +1
Wire Strike +9, Damage 8, +2 to grab checks
Wire Snare +10, Damage 8, DC 18, Resisted by Dogdge and Broken by Strenght

Defense
Dodge 7, Parry 7
Toughness 13 (Def Roll 0), Fortitude 7, Will 12

Power Points
Abilities 20 + Powers 74 + Advantages 5 + Skills 20 + Defenses 31 = Total 150
catsi563

Post by catsi563 »

a coupe of problems im seeing are these

Attributes the character is basically a bystander in regards to physical action now this not to say that they need 3-4 ranks of str or sta or fight or such but some ranks to help distinguish the character would not hurt
Im personally as a GM against so calle stat dumps where people just dump everything in skills to save points its a cop out as far aim concerned and it makes a character sheet not a character

dedicating his protection to his wires is also a mistake and plays into the mentioned above think of it this way how do you justify a man with what effectively amounts to a joe average stamina having a fortitude save on par with or better then most soldiers?

the character could use some balance imo the basic effect youre going for is solid and I can see where youre heading but I think the charcter needs some refinement that makes them more complete as a character instead of just a selection of powers
Dr. Silverback has wryly observed that this is like trying to teach lolcats about Shakespeare

Showdown at the Litterbox

Catsi stories