Is it a Plane? Drawing RPG system on Kickstarter

If you want to talk about Kickstarter, Go Fund Me and other Crowdsource projects, do it here.
FuzzyBoots

Is it a Plane? Drawing RPG system on Kickstarter

Post by FuzzyBoots »

Is it a Plane?

I probably should have thought to post this earlier. I heard about it one of the BAMF podcasts and was intrigued. The basic premise is that your hero's actions aren't based on audibly describing the action and their success isn't based on dice-rolling. Rather you draw it on a dry-erase board, with the game mechanics determining the panel size and how long you have to draw. Fascinating concept. Biggest catch I see is that there really isn't a "physical reward" level. Rather, what you get are the PDFs and the right to order from DriveThruRPG and only pay for print and shipping costs.

Still, fascinating idea. I hope it pans out for them.
Chris Brady

Re: Is it a Plane? Drawing RPG system on Kickstarter

Post by Chris Brady »

I... Foresee a lot of stick figures. And do they have any idea how long it takes a comic panel, even one drawn by an amateur, takes? I can only see this slowing down the game.

But if it works for their audience, more power to them.
FuzzyBoots

Post by FuzzyBoots »

Chris Brady wrote: Fri Jun 01, 2018 3:35 pm I... Foresee a lot of stick figures. And do they have any idea how long it takes a comic panel, even one drawn by an amateur, takes? I can only see this slowing down the game.

But if it works for their audience, more power to them.
They do indeed anticipate that. Here's a photo from a playtest:

And a quote on the drawing skill needed:
GM playtester and backer Mike Hammond sums this up pretty well: "The funny thing about drawing skill is that it's actually tangential to the game! The real skill this game calls for is more like art direction - choosing a distinctive colour scheme and framing your scenes with enough simplicity to convey the action. If you can pick a consistent colour and maybe one good distinguishing feature of your character, then as long as you can draw a stick figure and write the word "POW!" then you can play as well as anyone."
Chris Brady

Post by Chris Brady »

I'd rather run the game than watching other people draw. Die rolls are faster.
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

Seems like fun for a one-shot party game at a geekier sort of party or as a one-off con game in the wee hours. Preferably while everyone is enjoying a few adult beverages.
BARON wrote:I'm talking batgirl with batgirl. I love you internet.
greycrusader

Post by greycrusader »

Yeah, what B-Girl just said. This is the kind of idea which SOUNDS a lot more fun than it actually is. But an every great once in a while kind of thing, after a long road trip and a couple beers or wine coolers? Sure! That's how I learned The Waterboy was actually watchable. You just have to be a little temporarily brain-numbed. ;)

All my best.
FuzzyBoots

Post by FuzzyBoots »

FuzzyBoots

Post by FuzzyBoots »

^_^ And it funded.
Chris Brady

Post by Chris Brady »

Well, I hope it works out for everyone who backed it. If y'all have fun, who am I to argue?
FuzzyBoots

Post by FuzzyBoots »

FuzzyBoots

Post by FuzzyBoots »

To follow up, my group played through the example scenario with some mixed results. The game does have some very free-form elements, from interpretation of drawings (and it's hard for most people to draw that quickly and not be a bit ambiguous) to the GM purview to use the accumulated power of the a player's panels not only to combat the current threats, but also to create further hazards and possibly even damage the player. They had fun, but the the guy who was going to be the Editor (GM) of the next part is having second thoughts.