Mister Mind question (DC Comics)

The place to talk about your favorite novels, comic books and web comics.
Cinder

Mister Mind question (DC Comics)

Post by Cinder »

I’ve seen in a couple sources that say Mr. Mind was chosen as the first agent from the Venusian worms to infiltrate Earth, but was stopped by Starman, Bulletman and the Green Lantern Abin Sur. Does anyone know a comics source for this? I know it says something similar in DC Heroes and Villains Vol 2, but wanted to know where the story came from in the comics.

Thanks in advance.
Davies

Re: Mister Mind question (DC Comics)

Post by Davies »

According to the DCU wiki, this was revealed in a flashback in The Power of SHAZAM! #36 (March 1998.)
"I'm sorry. I love you. I'm not sorry I love you."
Cinder

Post by Cinder »

Davies wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 4:37 am According to the DCU wiki, this was revealed in a flashback in The Power of SHAZAM! #36 (March 1998.)
Thanks Davies, that got me in the right place. The history of the fight is recounted in flashback over several issues in a crossover between Power of Shazam and Starman, called "Lightning And Stars."

After reading those and some of Mister Mind's later appearances in Power of Shazam, it seems the entry in DC Heroes and Villains Vol 2 is incorrect (at least to the extent it is not a retcon). Mister Mind is a different Venusian worm from the one that travelled to Earth in 1942 and fought those golden age heroes. Mister Mind, in the Power of Shazam #40, states that the worm was "one of [his] brethren[.]" He also states that the 1940s worm was tried for attempted genocide and later executed.

Edit: Left out a phrase.
Davies

Post by Davies »

Cinder wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 7:35 pm He also states that the 1940s worm was tried for attempted genocide and later executed.
<snort> Cute injoke, Mr. Ordway. I wonder if Bulletman was the prosecutor in said trial.
"I'm sorry. I love you. I'm not sorry I love you."
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

The Ordway era Power of Shazam series was a mixed bag to me. I wanted to love it, but it lacked a lot of the fun, charm, energy and epic moments you'd expect from a Captain Marvel series. On the other hand, Ordway clearly either knew his Marvel Family lore or was willing to research it, as he worked to introduce a lot of older Marvel Family heroes, villains and concepts, even more obscure ones like Chain Lightning. So the whole "tried and executed for genocide" is a nice little joke.

Ultimately I think a Captain Marvel / Marvel Family book would have benefited more from the kind of energy Karl Kesel and Tom Grummet were putting into the Superboy series of the time.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
greycrusader

Post by greycrusader »

I agree, Ares. There are some books that I SHOULD like/regard more than I do, but there's just something about them that fails to appeal (the Neil Gaiman current run on Miracleman being a contemporary example); Ordway just needed to be a touch more whimsical, maybe a little more light-hearted, though he did a really wonderful job of modernizing the Marvel Family concepts without disrespecting them.

All my best.
Ken

Post by Ken »

Cinder wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 7:35 pm He also states that the 1940s worm was tried for attempted genocide and later executed.
A call back to Captain Marvel Adventures #46, wherein Mr. Mind was tried and executed, and stuffed. (Until that was retconned in Shazam #2 [vol. 1] which revealed Mind survived electrocution and the stuffed body was a fake.)
My Amazing Woman: a super-hero romantic comedy podcast.

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.