Avatar Legends: Ash and Steel [Roleplay thread]

For all of your Play-By-Post games.
Gunmetal_Rainbow

Re: Avatar Legends: Ash and Steel [Roleplay thread]

Post by Gunmetal_Rainbow »

Onomu shakes her head and goes back to her camp chores. "I assume you're just one of Long Feng's agent doing your job, which I expect you'll perform commendably to the best of your abilities.." Her tone indicates the jury is still out on whether she is confident in said abilities or not, particularly given the lack of discipline in the younger two.

"I don't know what path you intend to take to Ba Sing Se, but it may be best we don't stop for pointless indulgences... those rebels following us are bad enough, who knows whom Fire Lord Ozai has contracted to hunt me down. There's no way he'll allow my slight to go unpunished."
Flynnarrel

Post by Flynnarrel »

Zumu Yin
Fatigue: 4 - Conditions: None
Balance: <Experience> +1/-1 <Humility> (Center: 0)

"Although we are doing this service for his behalf this time, we are not regular agents of his. We are survivors of a Fire Nation attack some months ago. We staved off Fire military forces long enough for several of our village to make it out. We then coordinated with local military, late as they were, to drive back the invaders so they couldn't establish a foot-hold on that section of coast. What we might lack in military discipline, we have cunning and drive." the elder says proudly at the last.

"There are many ways to skin a mink-cat." she says quoting an old adage.
"Something pithy this way comes."
Gunmetal_Rainbow

"Discipline is the road to mastery and no amount of cunning can make up for a lack of discipline. Certainly at least you know this. We are meant to be getting to Ba Sing Se keeping a low profile so as not to draw undue attention. We can't do that if those children look to kick every salamander nest in our path, the whole point of taking the route you chose was to avoid as much of the Fire Nation army as possible." She doesn't raise her voice, but her tone is harsh, and earned respect or not, she's concerned undisciplined actions are going to get them caught, a clear danger to her survival.
Doctor Malsyn

Post by Doctor Malsyn »

Li
Fatigue: 5 - Conditions: None
Balance: <Friendship> -1/+1 <Survival> (Center: 0)

Sometime around then, Li came over from behind some large boulders casually tossing his sword from one hand to another. Coming upon the tail end of their conversation, he;'d heard just enough to grimace. Avoid the fire nation as much s possible, huh?' He'd almost blown that right out of the water. When he looked over to their setup, he frowned noticing that Minnow hadn't made it back yet on her own. He'd taken a large detail to cool himself off afterall. Maybe he'd lashed out harsher than he should've.
Am I dead? Am I alive? The answer may surprise you!
------------
"What a week, huh?" "Doc, it's only Wednesday."
Flynnarrel

Post by Flynnarrel »

Zumu Yin

Yin smiles. "When, in life, has there ever been only ONE road to anywhere?" the elder says proudly at the last.

"Thikning like that generally means a harder time picking onesself up after one falls off the singular path they thought they were treading." she says. "Something you may wish to meditate on, you whose own path has become rather askew."

"But I will speak with my young wards to see what they've been up to and, together, we will address the consequences and opportunities that have arisen."
she says confidently.
Vivid

Post by Vivid »

Minnow
Fatigue(unmarked): 5
Conditions: None
Balance: <Excellence> -1/+1 <Community> (Center: 1 Community)

Minnow had no chance to respond as Li stormed off and she instantly regretted her words. He was her only real friend (a sensei doesn't count). She didn't want Li to suffer such deprivation that it brought back past traumas. She looked at the Fire Nation camp once again and knew what she had to do...
Gunmetal_Rainbow

It was a while before Minnow returned to camp. Not too long that anyone went looking, but long enough they were strongly considering it and maybe just about to leave camp to do so before she comes wandering it, out of breath, but looks to be in one piece and otherwise none the worse for wear.

Rewinding a bit, we see what Minnow watch Li storm off after lashing out. Li doesn't see it with his back turned, but resolve sets in Minnow's eyes. To see her friend suffering and knowing what he'd gone through. She turns back towards the Fire Nation outcamp and survey the area, quickly coming up with a plan. Sure, it would have been easier with Li, or even Yin, but she is Minnow of the Northern Water Tribe! She is a prodigy and one underestimated her at their own peril.

Circling away from the direction of the town, Minnow sets herself up, making sure her water skins were ready and open. Starting with the flowing motions of traditional waterbending, she sends her senses out into the ground beneath the camp, feeling the moisture there. Her motions turn sharp and strong, partially mimicking those of Yin's earthbending, and in an instant of simultaneous motion, demonstrating her prodigious skills, Minnow turns the water in the ground to ice and bends it all to her will in sharp motions to cause the camp to shudder like an earthquake.

But that was only one part of her plan, repositioning, using the rock outcrops as cover, she sends out water from her skins to smash into tents and even into the fire to cause a fog of steam. Steam was still water and it was stage three of the plan, and possibly one of the most important! Already the Fire Nation soldiers in the camp were firing blasts of flame out against the unseen enemy, anything that looked like it could be moving got blasted.

This part was tricky and needed the right timing and just the right flair of technique. Exerting her will over the steam, Minnow "whooshes" her will through it, spinning it like a cyclone, trying her best to make it look like the influence of an airbender!

That's right, her plan was to make it seems like the camp was under attack by as many different types of bending she could fake, from as many directions and "enemies" as she could, and in the chaos, the outlaw waterbender locates the supply tent and quickly while keeping up her barrage of trickery, grabbed a large sack of sack of food and took off back towards cover as best she could.

Back at camp, now returned, Minnow looks like she ran a marathon, laden with the heavy sack of provisions, but what cost did she unknowingly pay for it? Only time will tell.
Vivid

Post by Vivid »

Minnow
Fatigue(unmarked): 4

A tired Minnow lumbers in to camp. She doesn't say anything but quietly sets the bundle she carries with the other supplies. She'll avoid significant eye contact and trudge in to her tent and fall fast asleep.
Doctor Malsyn

Post by Doctor Malsyn »

Li

Li felt like he should say something. Ask about what happened to her, if she get caught, if she was she hurt. He knew the answer to everything without hearing her say it. She was clearly exhausted but unhurt, and there's no way she would've gotten caught. Maybe still he should ask her about it anyway. Or maybe he should mention to Elder Yin about just where those extra supplies came from.

He kept his silence instead. He wasn't a snitch.
------------
Flynnarrel

Post by Flynnarrel »

Zumu Yin

In the early hours of the morning, Yin wakes the young waterbender for her turn at watch. Concern laces the elder's words as she speaks, though.

She had already looked through the additional supplies and their composition and packing just screamed 'military' even if there were not emblazoned symbols or brands. With some insistent coaxing [per our PM] Yin gets the full story. After being reluctantly impressed, Yin, rather than words of admonishment or blame, offers the young girl reassurance that she was coming from good intention, sound initiative, and, once again, performed a feat that no one would have predicted from the youth. She will try to soothe the girl's fears regarding her relationship with Li and counsel that open communication might be the best policy to make sure there are no lingering resentments.
Vivid

Post by Vivid »

Minnow

Minnow was deflated after relaying the events of her evening to Zumu Yin, like a roughly-squeezed waterskin. She couldn't help but puff back up a little when Yin expressed any good sentiments about what she had done. She'd nod at the sage words the elder might offer inwardly vowing to strengthen their little community of 3.
Flynnarrel

Post by Flynnarrel »

Zumu Yin

Yin nods at the reception of her words. "I'm curious though, Minnow. When you think of Li... I mean, is he..." the old woman takes a breath, rephrasing. "What do you feel, when you think of Li?"
Vivid

Post by Vivid »

Minnow

Minnow pauses, temporarily speechless. "I...." but the words died before reaching her mouth.

She took stock of her feelings. She hadn't really been in the village of Shima Zho that long before the attack. Certainly she knew *of* Li... and then a few months of traveling with him and Zumu, she'd certainly glommed on to him, he was older, but close enough in age to be relatable. He was funny and carefree when she'd only known a life of focused training, honing, and learning. "I..."

"I... guess I've come to see him as ge-ge - an older brother... and friend."
she adds quickly. He was good with his blade and she supposed he was tall and easy to look at... wait!... did she just think he was cute? "If there's more... I do not yet know it." Minnow says diplomatically.
Flynnarrel

Post by Flynnarrel »

Zumu Yin

Yin accepts the answer as honest. She'll leave the young woman to her early morning watch re-emphasizing honest communication as the best policy.

In the morning she'll arrange morning chores so that she and Li are apart from the others. "I can't imagine how difficult traveling with a former Fire Nation representative must be on you." she says empathetically. "They've taken so much from all of us over the years. How are you handling it?"
Doctor Malsyn

Post by Doctor Malsyn »

Li

The nascent airbender shrugged, not looking up from where he'd been rolling up their bedmats. "It's fine. Just another of our little missions, right? Long as we keep moving we'll get this whole thing over and done with in a few weeks."
------------