Mutants and Masterminds partners with Valiant Comics

General discussions about role-playing games. Share stories, ask for advice, talk about the industry, etc.
greycrusader

Mutants and Masterminds partners with Valiant Comics

Post by greycrusader »

Ares
Site Admin

Re: Mutants and Masterminds partners with Valiant Comics

Post by Ares »

It's a shame they likely can't do sort of a "Best Of" Valiant or a version where they can include versions of the original Valiant Universe (that included Solar and Magnus) with the newer version, and possibly have suggestions for making a universe that combined different aspects of both. Given that Solar was kind of another Jim Shooter insert (a virtually all powerful being who wasn't allowed to do as much good as he wanted, who literally wished superheroes into existence, etc.), the Valiant Universe doesn't really feel 'right' without him. But I'm pretty sure the rights to Solar and Magnus are with other people these days.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
Davies

Post by Davies »

Ares wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 5:18 pm But I'm pretty sure the rights to Solar and Magnus are with other people these days.
They, as well as Turok and Dr. Spektor, were purchased by Dynamite at last record. I don't think Dynamite has done anything with them since about 2015, though.
"I'm sorry. I love you. I'm not sorry I love you."
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

Davies wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 5:28 pm
Ares wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 5:18 pm But I'm pretty sure the rights to Solar and Magnus are with other people these days.
They, as well as Turok and Dr. Spektor, were purchased by Dynamite at last record. I don't think Dynamite has done anything with them since about 2015, though.
I know that kind of red tape is hard to navigate and Valiant likely doesn't have a whole lot of funds to spare, but it'd be nice if they could work out some kind of deal with Dynamite or the original rights holders, something to at least let them use the Valiant versions of those Gold Key characters.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
Sidious

Post by Sidious »

I'm excited about this.
There's nothing saying we can't make Solar, Magnus or any of the other classic characters. It is M&M after all and this place has the people that are pretty much experts on that system.
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

Fair point, but it's always at least a little bit of a shame when you can't get an "official" version of a character.

Me, if I ever got the licenses to certain properties, I'd go stat crazy. I'd have dedicated character compilation books that would be equal parts Monster Manuals and Who's Who/Official Handbooks of the Marvel Universe.

greycrusader

Post by greycrusader »

I believe Davies is correct, Dynamite was the last holder to the rights, though I don’t know if they bought the characters outright or just licensed them from Gold Key LLC.

I admit to being pleasantly surprised by the Valiant deal.
greycrusader

Post by greycrusader »

Ares wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 6:43 pm Fair point, but it's always at least a little bit of a shame when you can't get an "official" version of a character.

Me, if I ever got the licenses to certain properties, I'd go stat crazy. I'd have dedicated character compilation books that would be equal parts Monster Manuals and Who's Who/Official Handbooks of the Marvel Universe.
Yes, though I later posted the write-ups that were supposed to appear in the DC source books(there were last-minute rights issues), I always felt kind of bad there were no canonical stats for Hardware, Icon, Rocket, and Static, from the Milestone imprint.

All my best.
Tattooedman

Post by Tattooedman »

greycrusader wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 9:59 pm
Ares wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 6:43 pm Fair point, but it's always at least a little bit of a shame when you can't get an "official" version of a character.

Yes, though I later posted the write-ups that were supposed to appear in the DC source books(there were last-minute rights issues), I always felt kind of bad there were no canonical stats for Hardware, Icon, Rocket, and Static, from the Milestone imprint.

All my best.
That would have been great to see in print!
Jabroniville wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 11:45 pm
LOl- "The Tattooed Man"? What kind of ABSOLUTE DILDO would refer to himself as "The Tattooed Man" :P!?!
That Sullivan Guy

Post by That Sullivan Guy »

Here's hoping Valiant is easier for them to work with than DC or (God help you if you sign on that dotted line) Marvel. They were nightmares to work with, especially Marvel.
greycrusader

Post by greycrusader »

That Sullivan Guy wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 1:11 pm Here's hoping Valiant is easier for them to work with than DC or (God help you if you sign on that dotted line) Marvel. They were nightmares to work with, especially Marvel.
They were tougher than DC, Aaron? I remember having to do two rewrites because DC editorial couldn’t settle on a clear approach, writing the Milestone heroes only to be told they couldn’t appear after all, and having my write-ups for the Crime Syndicate’s Johnny Quick and Power Ring subjected to last minute revisions when the original versions of those characters popped up in the then-current JLA run.

Tough act to beat for Marvel, LOL.

All my best.
greycrusader

Post by greycrusader »

BTW: Something I've wanted to make clear for a little while is I was VERY honored to have been a part of the DC Adventures books; my work appeared in three of the four volumes, where I got to detail characters as varied as the original Doom Patrol to Green Lanterns such as Kilowog and Mogo, and fictional worlds such as New Mars and the Bizarro World. Getting the opportunities to contribute to both DC AND Green Ronin in such a way was a wonderful experience overall. I loved the fictional worlds, heroes, and villains DC allowed me to wire. I DO wish DC editorial (which apparently licensed the role-playing game as part of their 75th anniversary marketing effort) had a clearer idea of what they were looking for in-and of course that the "New 52" hadn't immediately made a lot of our efforts past-tense in terms of the material. But again-I don't regret a bit of it.

(Well, okay, I maaaaybeeee shouldn't have included Ultra the Multi-Alien...)

All my best.
act

Post by act »

greycrusader wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 2:24 am BTW: Something I've wanted to make clear for a little while is I was VERY honored to have been a part of the DC Adventures books; my work appeared in three of the four volumes, where I got to detail characters as varied as the original Doom Patrol to Green Lanterns such as Kilowog and Mogo, and fictional worlds such as New Mars and the Bizarro World. Getting the opportunities to contribute to both DC AND Green Ronin in such a way was a wonderful experience overall. I loved the fictional worlds, heroes, and villains DC allowed me to wire. I DO wish DC editorial (which apparently licensed the role-playing game as part of their 75th anniversary marketing effort) had a clearer idea of what they were looking for in-and of course that the "New 52" hadn't immediately made a lot of our efforts past-tense in terms of the material. But again-I don't regret a bit of it.

All my best.
whoa,that is amazing
Ken

Post by Ken »

greycrusader wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 2:24 am and of course that the "New 52" hadn't immediately made a lot of our efforts past-tense in terms of the material. But again-I don't regret a bit of it.

I still wish the New-52 never happened.
My Amazing Woman: a super-hero romantic comedy podcast.

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.
greycrusader

Post by greycrusader »

Ken wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 3:52 pm
greycrusader wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 2:24 am and of course that the "New 52" hadn't immediately made a lot of our efforts past-tense in terms of the material. But again-I don't regret a bit of it.

I still wish the New-52 never happened.
I think nearly all long-term comics fans share your opinion of the New 52, Ken. I do understand the imperative behind it-DC had lost every single sales month for 11 years straight, and WB executives simply looked at the numbers and weren't going to tolerate the situation anymore. From fairly good sources, I've heard there was an ultimatum laid on Didio's desk to either make drastic changes or face a LOT of housecleaning. Unfortunately, Dan DiDio did not possess the talent to pull off the kind of revamp needed successfully, so he basically put out the edict to "out-Marvel Marvel", which meant a lot of angst, heroes snarling at each other, deconstructive takes on Superman and Wonder Woman, and jettisoning any happy relationships for their characters. It also somehow inexplicably meant not knowing hot time worked (Batman had HOW many Robins in a seven-year history?), allowing Grant Morrison and Geoff Johns to just ignore any changes they personally disliked, and hiring Rob Liefeld to draw mainstream comics again.

Unfortunately-because I honestly love so many of DC's characters and their history-what has come after the New 52 hasn't worked either, because DC just keeps changing their accepted canon, shifting their company-wide direction, and dropping the ball on promoting quality titles and characters. The DCEU was just as all over the place as the comics, and now there's a retcon/reboot upcoming, mirroring the same issues the DC universe has faced in the law two decades. And that's a shame, because I really want some of pop culture's most iconic heroes and villains to shine.

All my best.