Jab’s Builds! (Whomp 'Em! Plumbers Don't Wear Ties! ToeJam & Earl!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Jabroniville

The Posse

Post by Jabroniville »

THE POSSE
Created By:
Howard Mackie & Salvador Larocca
First Appearance: Ghost Rider #56 (Aug. 1994)
Role: Mercenary Squad

-lol, AMAZING. These guys look almost exactly like Backlash from Image Comics- same color scheme with the dark blue and bright white/silver. All the extraneous pouches, hidden faces and hair sticking out over the masks of most of the team (others just look like Snake Eyes from G.I. Joe) also complete their Image-esque appearance. Fitting, as they're meant to go after the Next Wave, who were themselves '90s stereotypes.

-The Posse were an octet of mercenaries hired by Penner Security to take down their old agents, the Next Wave, for their betrayal and destruction in the team's debut. The Posse had been chasing the Next Wave, who'd boasted of a record of nothing but wins, for several weeks until finally confronting them in New York during a Chinatown parade. The innocent blood spilled in the firefight drew the attention of Ghost Rider & Wolverine- one Posse member was beaten with the Penance Stare, but the others all escaped. The final battle saw the Next Wave members frightened and chased down, but Ghost Rider defeated the three of them with the Penance Stare while Wolverine took out the entire Posse by himself. The Posse have never returned.

-The Posse are likely PL 6-ish "Gunfighter" builds- they mostly use guns but are good trackers otherwise, and able to easily chase down and harass the PL 8 trio of Next Wave members.
Jabroniville

The Office

Post by Jabroniville »

THE OFFICE:
-"The Office" is one of the greatest sitcoms ever. Every character is a classic, and even the minor ones slowly develop (through "Flanderization" of their minor foibles into full-blown personas) into hilarious recurring characters. Michael Scott is a great case of this. Initially being just kind of an idiotic person who acts like a jerk (like David Brent in the original English version), Michael eventually got made a bit more innocent- he was still a jerk, but he had a good heart, and most importantly, THOUGHT he was a nice person doing nice things, but was really just a foolish man-child who was really rather petulant and selfish. For Michael, everything must be about HIM, and to him, everyone likes him and wants to be his friend. He also produces the most uncomfortable moments in TV history, like at Phyllis' wedding, where he tries to show-up everyone, including Phyllis' hobbled father, who proudly steps up out of his wheelchair (that Michael was pushing) to walk his daughter to the altar, and Michael pouts because this Crowning Moment of Heartwarming upstaged him.

Maybe the all-time cringey episode is the notorious Dinner Party, where Michael and Jan's abusive relationship is put on the forefront when Jim & Pam and Dwight and his old babysitter come for a "couples night", and Jim/Pam are horrified to see the relationship on full display, with Michael "sarcastically" "joking" by shouting out "I'm in hell! I'm in hell!" repeatedly, Jan tries to sell her stupid scented candles to people then plays a song written by a former assistant she clearly slept with and still loves her, Jan breaks Michael's TV in a fit of rage, and more. The only thing worse is Scott's Tots, where Michael's past comes back to haunt him, as he promised some disadvantaged children that he would pay for their college ten years ago, and now realizes he can't afford it at all... while the kids and the news media come calling to collect.

One of my all-time favorite comedy bits is the time Michael & Dwight brought a couple of Asian waitresses to the office party, but after coming back from the washroom Michael realized he forgot which one he'd come in with, and through body language and the camera movements alone we realize that Michael's fallen for the "they all look alike" thing, even when HE CAME TO THE PARTY WITH HER! So he makes some "joking" comments of "Where is she? I can't find her- oh nooooo..." to get her to identify herself... then hugs her and secretly makes a black mark on her arm with a marker.

The show is filmed in "Documentary" style, which was more or less invented with the British version. Many, many shows followed in its wake as this became a popular genre, as characters can do personal asides that are often hilarious, and the show can "document" the characters without necessarily showing every aspect of their lives, leaving it feeling a bit more "real" at times. Jim & Karen start dating and split up off-screen, for example.

The Office lasted for 9 seasons, and went from a small hit to a huge one quite quickly before peaking in Season 4 and then nosediving in Season 9 (where it has less than half the ratings of its peak). Steve Carrell quitting as Michael led to some rough seasons and the show lost its goodwill... but maintained a huge run in repeats and on streaming, where new generations found it and fell in love with the series. The show, like most that run a REALLY long time, lost steam. I finished these builds at first around Season 6, and there were three more, each worse than the last. The final 1-2 were just dreadful, but I kept kicking to complete the run, and at least the Series Finale stuck the landing, giving most of the characters a good send-off. And they actually showed The Office: An American Workplace being released, giving that whole thing some closure- it turns out they'd been filming the staff for ten straight years for PBS.
EternalPhoenix

Re: Jab’s Builds! (Tigerstryke! Yeti! Killjoy! Grizzly I-IV! Next Wave!)

Post by EternalPhoenix »

I never liked The Office or any of its imitators. I'm not claiming superiority of my tastes or anything. I'm just one of those people who finds secondhand embarrassment and cringe style humor intensely uncomfortable to watch. I'm very glad so many people enjoyed it, but I am not capable of being one of them.
The Phoenixverse (A 2e OC 'verse!)
The Archetype Blendarama!
The Phoenixverse 3E Conversions
You, Dear Reader, may comment on any build at any time. I will be happy regardless.
Ares
Site Admin

Re: Jab’s Builds! (Tigerstryke! Yeti! Killjoy! Grizzly I-IV! Next Wave!)

Post by Ares »

EternalPhoenix wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 12:01 am I never liked The Office or any of its imitators. I'm not claiming superiority of my tastes or anything. I'm just one of those people who finds secondhand embarrassment and cringe style humor intensely uncomfortable to watch. I'm very glad so many people enjoyed it, but I am not capable of being one of them.
More or less my feelings exactly. I wind up feeling bad for the people involved more than anything. It's also why "misunderstanding" comedies are hit or miss with me. I usually prefer my comedy to be banter or wordplay based, stand up comedy or slapstick.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
Shock

Re: Jab’s Builds! (Yeti! Killjoy! Grizzly I-IV! Next Wave! The Office!)

Post by Shock »

I've never watched an episode and never seen anything that makes me want to. Doesn't look like my kind of thing.
Jabroniville

Michael Scott

Post by Jabroniville »

"You don't call retarded people retards. It's bad taste. You call your friends retards when they're acting retarded."

"In my opinion the third date is traditionally the one where... you have sex. Does Holly feel that way? I don't know. I will probably find out tonight. If she starts having sex with me I'll know for sure."

"Toby is in HR, which technically means he works for corporate. So he's really not a part of our family. Also, he's divorced, so he's really not a part of *his* family."

(to the multiracial Karen) "Wow, you look really exotic- was your dad a G.I.?"

MICHAEL SCOTT
Played by:
Steve Carrell
Role: Obnoxious Boss
PL 0 (10)
STRENGTH
0 STAMINA 0 AGILITY 0
FIGHTING 0 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE -1 AWARENESS -2 PRESENCE -1

Skills:
Expertise (Paper) 4 (+3)
Expertise (Pop Culture) 4 (+3)
Expertise (Ice Skating) 4 (+3)
Expertise (Hockey) 4 (+4)
Expertise (Paper Salesman) 8 (+7)

Advantages:
Ultimate Paper Salesman

Offense:
Unarmed +0 (+0 Damage, DC 10)
Initiative +0

Defenses:
Dodge +0 (DC 10), Parry +0 (DC 10), Toughness +0, Fortitude +1, Will +3

Complications:
Reputation (Idiotic Man-Child)- Most of the people in Michael's life either consider him a fool or a selfish jerk.
Relationship (Holly Flax)- Michael fell very quickly for the nerdy Holly, but they were forced to break up when she was transferred upon knowledge of their relationship getting to Michael's boss. He eventually quits work and moves away to be with her.
Enemy (Toby From HR)- “If I had a gun, with two bullets, and I was in a room with Hitler, Bin Laden, and Toby, I would shoot Toby twice". Michael despises everything about Toby, viewing him as an evil killjoy. He spent a fortune on a fake head for his Michael Scarn movie just so he could murder something that looked like Toby in his movie.
Responsibility (Dunder-Mifflin)- Michael has a lot of misguided loyalty to the company he's worked for most of his adult life.
Phobia (Dying Alone)- Michael desperately wants to be in a relationship.
Obsession (Gaining Respect)- Michael was teased and ostracized all his life; he now desperately wants people to like him. Steve Carrell played Michael "as if he thought the documentary would be watched by Jennifer Aniston". He wants attention so badly he tried to push Phyllis's father back into his wheelchair because it was spoiling his own "moment" of walking her down the aisle.
Secret (Scott's Tots)- Ten years ago, Michael made a promise to a group of disadvantaged black schoolchildren that he was going to pay their way through school. Because he assumed by then he'd be rich. Now they've come to collect, and he's an unsuccessful businessman with no savings.

Total: Abilities: -8 / Skills: 24--12 / Advantages: 0 / Powers: 0 / Defenses: 6 (10)

-How do you stat up someone who explicitly SUCKS at everything but selling paper? Michael is so... messed up that he virtually never dated until the third season of the show, most of his co-workers at least dislike him and avoid him whenever necessary, he writes his e-name as "LittleKidLover" so everyone will know "What I'm about" (he thinks it's so women will know he wants to HAVE children), he thinks "Queer as F*ck" is the name of a TV Show, and when he makes pretend he's "Survivorman", he eats the first pile of mushrooms he sees growing next to a tree. He thinks that a "hysterectomy" removed Meredith's vagina, and basically outed Oscar to the entire office by casually talking about his being gay. He also happens to be an idiot who wants to be seen as cool, smart and funny, which is why he repeats Chris Rock's n-word filled monologue "Black People vs. N***ers" uncensored in the workplace, invents a "Mary Sue" OC who is the best secret agent ever (married to Catherine Zeta-Jones), and more.

-His lighter moments, though, include times of extreme loyalty to his staff, defensiveness of people he's close to, and times when he authentically shows caring. Jim points out that Michael Scott would "never do that" when another Dunder Mifflin boss quits his job and goes to Staples, thus putting his entire staff out of work. And he made Pam feel better after a poor showing of her art, demanding to buy the work and place it in the office. Maybe his greatest moment, though, was when he found out Jim was in love with Pam (who was engaged to another man). Michael, the perennial joker, just turns to Jim and tells him to "never, ever, ever give up". It's established that though he's a selfish dolt (when Phyllis's father is about to steal his thunder by standing up out of his wheelchair to walk Phyllis down the aisle at her wedding, an upset Michael- who was pushing the wheelchair in the ceremony- tried to push him back in), it's more due to thoughtlessness and a desire to be liked and respected than out of malice.

-Case in point: in the show's must uncomfortable, cringey episode (next to Dinner Pary, it turns out that years ago, Michael told a group of disadvantaged black kids that he would pay for college. Not because he's a dick, but because he's condescending (of course they're all black) and assumes he's better than he is (he figured he'd be rich by then), he over-promises and leaves "Scott's Tots" hanging at great humiliation to himself. In another moment, Michael's branch of Dunder-Mifflin is to close down and be absorbed into another, but the manager of THAT branch leverages his job to take a job with Staples, resulting in the reverse happening, costing all that man's employees their jobs. As Jim said "Michael Scott would never do that". In another episode, he brings Pam incredible joy when he makes a big deal out of her painting of the office building- she was feeling horrible after Oscar's art snob boyfriend derided it, and Michael's genuine love for it delighted her.

-Then there's his ultra-cute relationship with fellow dork Holly Flax, which was ended when the CEO of the company caught them dating (she was in PR, which wasn't kosher for the company as far as inter-company dating went).

-Steve Carrell gained a movie career based off of this show, and eventually left the series- in a fantastic moment, the man who would never once listen to reason actually DOUBTED HIMSELF as to whether or not he should ask Holly to marry him. And so he asked Jim, Pam, Oscar and anyone else who usually doubted him or lectured him about the correct thing to do... and in an equally-great moment, all of his biggest critics said YES. And so Michael asked Holly, she said yes, and they moved away. Michael would return in the series finale, now grey-haired and a happy father.

-In fact, Michael is shown doing many things, but sucking at all of them, hence his low scores everywhere. He's in an Improv Acting class... but all his characters are Michael Scarn, FBI Agent, who steals every scene by demanding everyone get on the ground and be arrested by him. Truly, the only thing he excels at is selling paper, which leads to one of the show's best moments- where this idiotic, childish person actually comes in, makes friends with a potential buyer (over a shared history in the town, and dirty jokes), then NAILS THE SALE in spectacular fashion. Michael is an idiot who's only worth 5 power points, but he'll be damned if you're going to outsell him. And God Help You if you mess with his love for Holly (an adorable relationship brought into the fifth season), or his employees in general.
Jabroniville

Jan Levinson

Post by Jabroniville »

Michael Scott: Man I would love to burn your candles!
Jan: You burn it you buy it!
Michael Scott: Oh good! I'll be your first customer!
Jan: You're hardly my first.
Michael Scott: THAT'S... WHAT.... SSSHHEEE SSSSAAAAAIIIIID!!

JAN LEVINSON (nee' Gould)
Played by:
Melora Hardin
Role: Dragon Lady Boss, Insane Woman
PL 2 (27)
STRENGTH
0 STAMINA 1 AGILITY 0
FIGHTING 2 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE 2 AWARENESS 1 PRESENCE 0

Skills:
Deception 6 (+6, +8 Attractive)
Expertise (Scented Candles) 2 (+4)
Expertise (Business) 3 (+5)
Insight 2 (+2)
Intimidation 6 (+6)
Investigation 4 (+4)
Persuasion 3 (+3)

Advantages:
Attractive

Offense:
Unarmed +2 (+0 Damage, DC 15)
Initiative +0

Defenses:
Dodge +0 (DC 10), Parry +2 (DC 12), Toughness +1, Fortitude +2, Will +2

Complications:
Reputation (Dragon Lady)- Jan is seen as a cold, intimidating career woman.
Reputation (Psychotic)- Jan goes further and further off the deep end as her relationship with Michael worsens, ending up as a crazy cougar woman.
Responsibility (Dunder-Mifflin)
Responsibility (Loves & Hates Michael Scott)

Total: Abilities: 12 / Skills: 26--13 / Advantages: 0 / Powers: 0 / Defenses: 2 (27)

-Jan was a terrific character that kind of became a different kind of terrific character. She started off as a "Dragon Lady" type of boss (you know- the one every man fears he'd have to work for)- bossy, commanding, nasty, lecturing, etc. Basically Fetish Fuel Incarnate for dorks. But she had lighter moments, especially when they showed her happier side, and she started getting more and more attracted to Michael of all people. But then the writers started having her go increasingly nuts, talking to therapists, sleeping with Michael then constantly regretting it, until eventually they just had her totally crack when he dumped her and she won him back with enormous breast implants.

-She got fired from Dunder-Mifflin for ignoring her job and vanishing several times, she forced Michael into several things he wasn't comfortable with (made him testify against his bosses, dressed him up like a schoolgirl for sex-play, making him sell his beloved car for a new one, etc.), and it culminated with an amazingly awkward scene in Michael's tiny condo, where she chucked his beloved Dundie Award into his beloved flat-screen (about the size of a computer monitor) and finally chased Michael away. Talk about a character switch- from a mean boss lady into a complete gibbering psychopath- Melora Hardin is clearly a really good actress. Maybe TOO good, as she was so handy with her early "crazy" antics that they went all the way into making her nuts (Michael actually suspected her of poisoning Pam's food upon hearing his lies that he & Pam used to date). The other actors even warned her about this during a commentary, and it came true.

-Jan was eventually written out, largely raising a daughter by herself, and chasing after young men (when she turns up as an executive for a phone book company, Dwight gest her to give Dunder-Mifflin her business by bringing in a young office intern and making a big deal out of "he's so YOUNG...". The kid (about 18, MAYBE) says that having sex with her "wasn't like having sex with a cougar, like you'd think... it was like a swarm of bees".

-This build suits Jan more early than later (when she was making scented candles and lost most of her Awareness & Presence). She's fairly smart, business-savvy, hot and with some anger in her (Power Attack).
Jabroniville

Ryan Howard

Post by Jabroniville »

"I could clean out my desk in five minutes, and nobody would ever remember I worked here."

RYAN HOWARD (aka Fire Guy)
Played by:
B.J. Novak
Role: The Intern, Hastily-Promoted New Boss, Jerk Boss, Trend-Chaser
PL 1 (11)
STRENGTH
-1 STAMINA 0 AGILITY 1
FIGHTING 0 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE 1 AWARENESS -1 PRESENCE 0

Skills:
Deception 4 (+4)
Expertise (Computers) 4 (+5)
Expertise (Pop Culture) 2 (+2)
Expertise (Business) 3 (+4)
Expertise (Bowling Alley Worker) 1 (+2)
Expertise (Temp) 2 (+3)
Persuasion 4 (+4)

Advantages:
None

Offense:
Unarmed +0 (-1 Damage, DC 14)
Initiative +1

Defenses:
Dodge +1 (DC 11), Parry +0 (DC 10), Toughness +0, Fortitude +0, Will +0

Complications:
Secret (Drug Addict)- Ryan got addicted to drugs during his time in New York.
Reputation (Lazy Arsemunch)- Ryan was fired for fraud and is generally known as a lazy do-nothing after a point.
Rivalry (Jim Halpert & Pam Beesly)- Ryan dislikes the two office elders for calling him out so frequently on his mistakes.

Total: Abilities: 0 / Skills: 20--10 / Advantages: 0 / Powers: 0 / Defenses: 1 (11)

Ryan- The Temp To Fired Guy:
-Ryan Howard's probably undergone the most weird growth in the series, and his constant recurrences can only be explained by his being played by a main writer of the show :). Starting out as the put-upon, confused Temp thrown into this bizarre, crazy world, Ryan is meant to show the "common man's" view of just how crazy everything else. While Jim is the cynical, modern-day slacker who's stuck here, Ryan is the one staring down the chamber of a gun, watching what waits for him. Ryan is seen as a somewhat innocent guy who doesn't deserve bad things, and is openly horrified at the notion of working for a place like Dunder-Mifflin. The only negative thing we see early on is him bringing Michael in for a lecture at his college... where it's an attack on how obsolete businesses like Dunder-Mifflin are. Michael, annoyed, counters that Ryan "has never sold any paper!". And this kind of clues things in for the future- Ryan thinks he KNOWS a lot of stuff, but is actually young, inexperienced and not as good as he thinks he is.

-Other aspects of Ryan include Michael's weird obsession with him- despite being otherwise heterosexual, Michael is obsessed with Ryan's appearance and manner, often staring at him (in a legal deposition, Michael's diaries are read and his comments about Ryan's looks lead the lawyers to presume that Ryan is a woman whom Michael loves and is cheating on Jan with- Toby finds this HILARIOUS, giggling to himself during the proceedings). Ryan dates Kelly in what he figures is "just some fun", but Kelly immediately goes head over heels and thinks they'll be together forever... and is crazy enough to fake pregnancy constantly to get what she wants. Ryan also reacts with horror at the notion of getting a nickname- he openly says he wants to get out of the office- and is disturbed to have accidentally set a fire in the office, earning him the nickname "Fire Guy".

Ryan Gets Promoted:
-Naturally, barely having graduated, Ryan gets an immediate promotion, as David Wallace replaces Jan as District Manager with the grad, wanting another "Business Major" in the group. This is the writers more or less calling out a lot of the inadequacies of big business- the assumption that a fancy degree is worth more than the experience others have, as Ryan skips over the entire office for the job. He dumps Kelly, moves to New York, and grows some douchey stubble to make him look older- the change is immediately apparent when he walks into the office and ignores everyone in favor of typing on his BlackBerry (then the big "Status Symbol/This Guy is an Elitist Douchebag" thing). Here, he is openly kissed up to by Andy and the others ("You're so money, you don't even know it... but you DO") and is super-duper proud of himself, but quickly things go awry. He gives Jim a formal warning in front of others for wasting time, and it's clearly him getting pissy that Jim called out some mistakes of his or messed up a chance he thought he had with Pam. Then he tells Michael & Dwight (staying over in his tiny NYC apartment) "I think my friend has a drug problem". And finally he's seen being arrested for reporting the profits of his big idea twice ("that's otherwise known as FRAUD" Oscar smirks), hoping it'd look more successful. He is fired from the company and is gone...

-Until Michael hired him back on as a Temp later on, much to David Wallace's consternation (he's the CEO of the company). Ryan bailed AGAIN, but then came back to the Michael Scott Paper Company (during a long subplot where Michael quit D.M. and formed his own company) as a Salesman, and then got hired back AGAIN by D.M. when they bought out Michael (who was killing their business and bluffed his way into getting all their jobs back- in an unusual bit of brilliance for him). He was eventually made a Temp (AGAIN), and still kicking around, even though there's practically nothing left to do with his now THOROUGLY unlikeable character.

-I really got sick of Ryan as time went on, as he went from a great dig at how business types naiively promote young idiots with no clue and appear to make bone-headed promotions all the time, and how young "go-getters" are often just status-obssessed idiots... but now they had no idea WHAT he was. He just kept screwing up, he became a total doofus who lacked any semblance of intelligence at all, they clearly struggled with building a new personality for him. Ultimately, he became a hipster "Trend Chaser"- wearing strange outfits and trying to start "viral marketing" for random websites he'd come up with. He's so obsessed with appearing "deep" that Dwight easily bluffs him at a swap meet, he looks at photos of Stanley's family and goes "What am I doing with photos of a black family? Who am I- James Franco?" and Ryan just goes wide-eyed and says "... James Franco?", immediately buying them to be like his hero. He's that kind of a dude now. He & Kelly both leave in the final season- she moves away with a new boyfriend, and he chases her. He's so on and off with Kelly that eventually it barely matters, and they run off together in the Series Finale, abandoning Ryan's son (with an unnamed ex, who abandoned the baby). Nellie just adopts the baby on the spot herself (because that's how that works).

Ryan's Weak Abilities:
-Ryan is a pretty weak, scared little boy with not much in the way of serviceable skills (he was WAY underqualified for his job at Dunder Mifflin HQ).
Jabroniville

Kelly Kapoor

Post by Jabroniville »

“Who says exactly what they’re thinking? What kind of game is that?”

“You guys I’m, like, really smart now. You don’t even know. You could ask me, ‘Kelly what’s the biggest company in the world?’ And I’d be like, ‘Blah blah blah, blah blah blah, blah blah blah.’ Giving you the exact right answer.” *proud smile*

“Ultimatums are key. Basically, nobody does anything for me anymore unless I threaten to kill myself.”

“I don’t talk trash, I talk smack. They’re totally different. Trash talk is all hypothetical, like, ‘Your mom is so fat she can eat the internet.’ But smack talk is happening like right now, like, ‘You’re ugly and I know it for a fact ’cause I got the evidence right there.”

KELLY KAPOOR
Played by:
Mindy Kaling
Role: Office Crazy Girl
PL 0 (12)
STRENGTH
0 STAMINA 0 AGILITY 0
FIGHTING 0 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE 0 AWARENESS -1 PRESENCE -1

Skills:
Deception 3 (+2)
Expertise (Computers) 2 (+2)
Expertise (Pop Culture) 8 (+8)
Expertise (Customer Service) 4 (+4)
Persuasion 5 (+4)

Advantages:
None

Powers:
Quickness 4 (Flaws: Limited to Speaking Tasks) [2]

Offense:
Initiative +0

Defenses:
Dodge +0 (DC 10), Parry +0 (DC 10), Toughness +0, Fortitude +1, Will +2

Complications:
Relationship (Ryan Howard)- Kelly initially just meant to have fun with Ryan, but instantly fell head over heels, being obsessed with making babies with him. They are on-again, off-again for the full run of the series.
Reputation (Annoyance)- Everyone dreads when Kelly gets going.
Reputation (Liar)

Total: Abilities: -4 / Skills: 22--11 / Advantages: 0 / Powers: 2 / Defenses: 3 (12)

-Kelly's one of those weird characters that just kind of sneaks up on people. Initially they just used their head co-writer Mindy Kaling as the actress because they needed an ethnic person for Michael to offend by "showing everyone what offensiveness was" and mocking Indian accents to her face, therefore ending with her slapping him. They liked the idea, and suddenly her character shifted from a somewhat friendly co-worker (she's the office customer service rep) into a completely brainless floozy who hooks up with Ryan ("When Kelly and I started dating, we both agreed that it was just going to be for fun. It turns out her idea of fun is getting married and having lots of babies... with me... immediately") and then completely attaches herself to him, leading to hilarious relationship with tons of fighting, making up, making out, and making the lives of everyone around them miserable. Kelly is like every guy's nightmare of the worst possible girlfriend. Though that relatoinship does drag out as the series goes on, getting pretty tiresome. In the final season, Kelly leaves the show, moving away with an Indian-American pediatrician. In the Series Finale, she dumps him and runs off with Ryan again at Dwight's wedding.

-After The Office ended, Kaling gained notoriety by writing a very poorly-rated sitcom (The Mindy Project) kept around for diversity reasons, and then a Scooby Doo variant which has united the right AND left in what I assume is universal love.

-Kelly's as bad off as Michael with her weird lack of abilities (though she's okay at her job- talking down irate customers, and REALLY knowledgeable of stupid pop culture minutae), but she CAN talk at super-speed- a Power I stole off of My Beloved One & Only, Maxine "Cyclone" Hunkel!
SolarOracle

Re: Jab’s Builds! (Yeti! Killjoy! Grizzly I-IV! Next Wave! The Office!)

Post by SolarOracle »

Kelly and Ryan are probably my favorite characters, both individually and as a couple, with how dysfunctional and chaotic they are together.

There's just something really hilarious about seeing someone who was fairly well put together guy with aspirations and dreams completely collapse as a person and turn into this complete mess of a guy who keeps trying to push grift after grift and how he slowly chips away at any and all respect the rest of the main cast had for him the more of a lost cause he becomes.

With Kelly, this only magnifies with how drama obsessed and petty she is, matching Ryan's ego, as the two drag each other down constantly and fight all the time in what is clearly a deeply dysfunctional relationship that is ruining both of them, but still can't stop themselves from running back to each other every time. There's just something deeply amusing about this dynamic in a weird "trainwreck" way, where you can't keep yourself from enjoying it no matter how horrifying and weird it is, LOL.
Jabroniville

Jim Halpert

Post by Jabroniville »

Jim Halpert: Margaret?
Pam Beesley: I know.
Jim Halpert: You just got yourself kicked out of your apartment.
Pam Beesley: [laughs] Oh I don't really care I don't like that place that much anyway I'll just move.
Jim Halpert: Oh really. Who's gonna take you in? You're messy; you're a klutz, you spill everything; and you leave the volume on the tv, way too loud.
Pam Beesley: Yeah. Maybe I'll just move in with my boyfriend because he's kind of a slob too.
Jim Halpert: Ok sure. Let's do it.
Pam Beesley: No, I, um, well I'm not gonna, I'm-- I'm not gonna move in with anyone unless I'm engaged.
Jim Halpert: Have I not proposed to you yet?
Pam Beesley: Hmm I don't think. Nope.
Jim Halpert: Oh, well, that's comin'.
Pam Beesley: Oh right now?
Jim Halpert: No. I'm not gonna do it right here, that would be rather lame.
Pam Beesley: Ok so then when?
Jim Halpert: Pam, I'm not gonna tell you. I hate to break it to you but that's not how that works.
Pam Beesley: Ohh right.
Jim Halpert: Hey I'm serious. It's happening. And when it happens, it's going to kick your ass Beesly. So, stay sharp.
Pam Beesley: I've been warned.

JIM HALPERT (aka Big Tuna)
Played by:
John Krasinski
Role: The Main Hero, The Normal Guy, Office Prankster, The Guy Who Doesn't Wanna Stay Here
PL 2 (45)
STRENGTH
1 STAMINA 1 AGILITY 1
FIGHTING 2 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE 1 AWARENESS 1 PRESENCE 3

Skills:
Deception 5 (+8)
Expertise (Computers) 4 (+5)
Expertise (Sweet Pranks) 7 (+8)
Expertise (Current Events) 2 (+3)
Expertise (Pop Culture) 4 (+5)
Expertise (Basketball Player) 4 (+5) -- uses AGI
Expertise (Paper Salesman) 5 (+6)
Insight 2 (+3)
Investigation 2 (+3)
Perception 3 (+4)
Persuasion 3 (+6)
Vehicles 1 (+2)

Advantages:
Attractive, Ultimate Skill (Crafting Sweet Pranks)

Offense:
Unarmed +2 (+1 Damage, DC 16)
Initiative +1

Defenses:
Dodge +1 (DC 11), Parry +2 (DC 12), Toughness +1, Fortitude +2, Will +4

Complications:
Responsibility (Pam Beesly)- Jim fell in love with Pam on their "first date"... which it turns out was just "coffee" because she was engaged to someone else. After many years, Jim finally confessed his feelings to her, and after some bumps along the way (like him dating Karen), they got together, got married, and had two children.
Responsibility (Potential Career and Dunder-Mifflin)- Jim never imagined he'd just be some paper company salesman, and dreams of something more. But isn't sure if he can actually accomplish that.
Rivalry (Dwight Schrute)- Jim is obsessed with pranking his annoying, egotistical deskmate.

Total: Abilities: 20 / Skills: 42--21 / Advantages: 0 / Powers: 0 / Defenses: 4 (45)

-Jim Halpert is the "Everyman" focus character of The Office, being a kind of calm, orderly personality that allows everyone to play off of him fairly well. His core personality traits over the years have been based around his love for Pam Beesly (the receptionist who was engaged to the slovenly and rude Roy), and his rivalry with Dwight, his weirdo co-worker. So he'd mope over Pam (briefly taking on a few new relationships when things didn't work out) and his pointless crush, and harass Dwight with an increasingly-hilarious succession of wicked pranks (convincing him that Jim was a vampire, filling his phone with coins to make it heavier- then taking them all out at once to make him hit himself in the head, replacing his chair & desk with chair & desk-shaped wrapping paper to make him fall to the floor, etc.).

-Shockingly, in the finale of Season 2, Jim revealed his feelings for Pam (but was shot down), resulting in him dating Karen for a while (which was actually a nice relationship, and made Jim look really bad when he finally dumped her), had a new rival in Andy Bernard (who reacted somewhat worse than Dwight did upon learning his calculator was now inside Jell-O), and started to realize this half-ass office-job he took was starting to form into his long-term career. The latter thing, a far more realistic and down-to-earth approach to adult problems, is part of the charm of the show (which often flies in the face of realism on purpose). A lot of people end up like Jim, taking this "starter job" and end up working there constantly as broader horizons seem to not open up and you make "just enough money" that it would cost too much to quit. Jim is probably the best all-around character on the show, just the least flashy. John Krasinski's deadpan delivery of the most insane dialogue (particularly when lying to Dwight) is a thing of beauty.

-Jim ends up sticking with the show for its whole run, and is mostly happy with Pam. The only wrinkle tossed in during the final seasons is his friends opening up some great sports memorabilia busines in New York, which was a dream of his... and him being stuck in Scranton. Frustrated with his job and feeling stuck because his wife and children live there, he snaps at Pam at least once, causing her to break down (and the show to tease that one of the CAMERAMEN is in love with her in a great bit that points out these people have been part of their lives for the full ten-year run and we just never "saw" that. There were rumors that Jim & Pam were going to split by the end of the show, but the actors put their feet down and said "we are NOT going to ruin whatever goodwill we had left with the people still watching". I mean, can you imagine? The show's reputation would never survive- it'd ruin repeats like How I Met Your Mother did. Ultimately, Jim finally quits Dunder-Mifflin to move to New York with Pam. AND he actually becomes friends with Dwight, acting as his best man and recommending him for new manager of the branch!

-Jim is the most-skilled character overall, mainly thanks to his Crafting of Sweet Pranks (which really SHOULD be it's own Skill- especially for someone of Jim's calibre), his general physical fitness, and his likeability. He's a very good Paper Salesman, and generally pretty competent, but no physical fighter- his response to being charged by Roy was to lose his crap and cower.
Jabroniville

Pam Beesly

Post by Jabroniville »

(Jim & Pam are trying to find excuses to leave Michael's Dinner Party)
Jim Halpert: You'll never guess. I just got a message from my landlord. Apparently my apartment flooded. Something with the sprinklers.
Jan: Oh no!
Jim Halpert: Pam we should probably get going to see the damage.
Michael Scott: Well you don't know two of you to do that.
Jim Halpert: [pause] That's... true, um. [pause] Dinner sounded delicious. Pam, see you at home? Thank you so much.
Pam Beesly: Oh Jim I don't think you're going to abandon this party here all by itself.
Jim Halpert: No, 'cause everything I own is there.
Pam Beesly: You can buy new stuff but you can't buy a new party!
Michael Scott: That's true! That is a great point. Come on down here. Sit down, on the couch. We're your friends and we're not going to let you think about all your stuff being destroyed alright?

(slaps Michael) "I don't give a (CENSORED) about your happiness- stop dating my mother!"

PAM BEESLY (later Pam Halpert)
Played by:
Jenna Fischer
Role: The Straight Woman
PL 0 (23)
STRENGTH
0 STAMINA 0 AGILITY 0
FIGHTING 0 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE 0 AWARENESS 1 PRESENCE 1

Skills:
Deception 4 (+5)
Expertise (Computers) 2 (+2)
Expertise (Artistic) 5 (+5)
Expertise (Receptionist) 4 (+4)
Expertise (Volleyball Player) 4 (+5) -- Uses AGI
Expertise (Pop Culture) 4 (+4)
Insight 3 (+4)
Persuasion 4 (+5)
Perception 2 (+3)

Advantages:
Attractive

Offense:
Initiative +0

Defenses:
Dodge +0 (DC 10), Parry +0 (DC 10), Toughness +0, Fortitude +0, Will +3

Complications:
Responsibility (Roy Anderson)- Pam was engaged to Roy for years even by the start of the series, and is frustrated that he won't commit to a date. Finally, she breaks up with him.
Relationship (Jim Halpert)- Heartbroken when Jim moves away and realizing she cares for him, Pam has to deal with his relationship with Karen, but finally comes clean to him that she misses what they had. Finally, the two date then marry. Pam eventually has two children and is reasonably happy, though finds Jim's desire for something more out of life frustrating and somewhat hurtful.
Responsibility (Potential Career and Dunder-Mifflin)
Rivalry (Dwight Schrute)
Rivalry (Angela Martin)
Responsibility (That Kind of Girl)- Pam typically can't go anywhere for too long before men start trying to chat her up, impress her or get crushes on her. She has to deal with a lot of unwanted attention.

Total: Abilities: 4 / Skills: 32--16 / Advantages: 1 / Powers: 0 / Defenses: 2 (23)

-Oh Jenna Fischer... I had such a thing for her during this show. Portrayed as the pretty and sarcastic but shy & insecure receptionist (and focal point of Jim Halpert's crush) in the early seasons, Pam's had tremendous character growth, going from someone unwilling to speak up in the workplace to a much more confident and brave person, culminating in the fantastic moment where she walks over hot coals (long story), and tells the entire office what she's feeling, including that she was in love with Jim, but understood that he loved Karen and that she just wanted to be friends with him. Much of the early seasons was spent with her & Jim conspiring against Dwight and laughing together about the others.

-When she & Jim finally hooked up, it was the great fear of many fans that the show would pull a "Moonlighting" and would immediately suck, but their dating, engagement, marriage and pregnancy have all been handled tremendously well, leading to one of the more stable relationships on TV, not prone to Ross & Rachel-level hijinx and stupidity (the occasional hiccups- like his spoiled Proposal thanks to Andy, and her living in New York for several months- didn't derail them, and were much more realistic than most sitcoms).

-There was assorted growth and teases- Pam moved to New York for a while to try and start an art career, but found art school too challenging (they changed the computer program on her) and moved back. She attempted to move from reception (where she had typically guarded Michael against doing stupid things) into sales, but was a bad saleswoman, again humiliating her. However, she found a niche as "office manager" (literally bullying the shy, awkward Gabe into awarding her the "promotion" by insisting he either call her a liar or pay her for the job she "was awarded" before he got there). A curiosity in the later seasons is her going from Jim's partner in crime to pranking Dwight (whenever Dwight asked her to if she wanted to do something, Jim advised her to say "absolutely I do"- this let her in on a lot of secrets), to Dwight's actual friend- the two had an odd, funny relationship, eventually coming to see each other as best friends.

-Pam is a pretty normal person overall, being semi-athletic and likeable, but she lacks the know-how of many of the better salesmen (her sales are quite low), and her best abilities (her Art) is basically just "pretty good" and not enough for professional work- a kind of sad ending to her whole "I want to be an artist" drive, but a realistic one.
Jabroniville

Roy Anderson

Post by Jabroniville »

ROY ANDERSON
Played by:
David Denman
Role: The Boorish Boyfriend We Want Dumped
PL 2 (18)
STRENGTH
2 STAMINA 2 AGILITY 0
FIGHTING 2 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE -1 AWARENESS 0 PRESENCE 0

Skills:
Intimidation 5 (+5)
Expertise (Pop Culture) 3 (+2)
Expertise (Warehouse Worker) 4 (+3)
Expertise (Football Player) 4 (+4) -- (Uses Dex)

Advantages:
None

Offense:
Unarmed +2 (+2 Damage, DC 17)
Initiative +0

Defenses:
Dodge +0 (DC 10), Parry +2 (DC 12), Toughness +2, Fortitude +2, Will +0

Complications:
Relationship (Pam- Fiancee)- Roy and Pam have been in the "World's Longest Engagement" for years. He seems to love her, but doesn't understand her, realize she wants more out of things, nor does he set a date for the wedding.

Total: Abilities: 10 / Skills: 16--8 / Advantages: 0 / Powers: 0 / Defenses: 0 (18)

-Roy was a necessary evil in The Office- to make Jim/Pam more of an issue (and to reflect the original English version's story of Tim & Dawn), they needed a boorish, controlling boyfriend character, pretty much the living embodiment of that guy that dorks want to surpass to get the beautiful girl. They tried to make him less evil sometimes- he made nice with Pam on occasion, and was portrayed as a bit affably blue-collar, but he ultimately had to be a jerk, or else Jim would look like a horrible person for trying to steal Pam away. So he made crude remarks, always wanted to leave parties early when Pam was having a good time, and was generally a pain. This surprisingly culminated in a very unusual way, with Pam breaking up with him, then almost getting back together, then him blowing up and trying to kill Jim (Dwight saved the day with pepper spray, only managing to get two of his coworkers by accident at the same time), then ultimately apologizing to everyone and pretty much leaving the show for good.

-A weird thing was done in a much later season where Roy turns up with a beautiful wife and is HAPPY Pam dumped him; saying it made him realize he needed to make some changes in his life, and he found the perfect woman for him. His parents were shown deeply resentful of Pam, who at the time was having troubles in her own life along with Jim, and it actually made Jim/Pam out to seem pretty bad. This gave a LOT of ammunition to the "Jim & Pam are the WORST" crowd that sprung up as the show was fading away or after it was gone. Because at many points the writers DO kind of run the "Incel" thing of making Roy out to be worse than he is just to make Jim's trying to take Pam away seem better, and make us take more pity on Jim and see Roy as the villain. This attitude can sometimes be seen on the DVD commentaries where the angry male writers talk bitterly about Roy doing a funny dance to Pam and "UGH- that dance made a LOT of the women viewers forgive Roy!". Like, at worst Roy was a bit of a killjoy who just didn't "get" his fiancée and behaved boorishly and a bit too blue-collar... so the writers finally just had to make him out to be violent and temperamental (he and his brother demolished a bar when he found out that Pam had kissed Jim once).

-Roy is the biggest, toughest Office worker around, able to beat the snot out of pretty much everyone else unless he's maced in the face or something.
Jabroniville

Toby Flenderson

Post by Jabroniville »

Toby: Actually, I didn't think it was appropriate to invite children since it's, uh, you know...there's gambling and alcohol...and it's in our dangerous warehouse...it's a school night, and you know, uh... Hooters is catering. You know, is that not—is that enough? Should I keep going?
Michael: Why are you the way that you are?... I hate so much about the things that you choose to be.

TOBY FLENDERSON
Played by:
Paul Lieberstein
Role: The Office Butt-Monkey, The Sad-Sack, Human Resources, The Reasonable One, The Failure
PL 0 (13)
STRENGTH
0 STAMINA 0 AGILITY 0
FIGHTING 0 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE 1 AWARENESS 1 PRESENCE -1

Skills:
Expertise (Computers) 3 (+4)
Expertise (Art) 4 (+5)
Expertise (Civics) 2 (+3)
Expertise (Behavioral Sciences) 2 (+3)
Expertise (Human Resources) 4 (+5)
Insight 2 (+3)
Perception 2 (+3)
Persuasion 1 (+0)

Advantages:
None

Offense:
Initiative +0

Defenses:
Dodge +0 (DC 10), Parry +0 (DC 10), Toughness +0, Fortitude +0, Will +1

Complications:
Relationship (Pam Beesly)- Toby ALSO has a crush on Pam, but is weirder than Jim about it. This was only revealed when he rubbed her leg to make her feel better... and just kept doing it.
Responsibility (Daughter)
Enemy (Michael Scott)
Rivalry (God)- "... Why are you always so mean to me?"

Total: Abilities: 2 / Skills: 20--10 / Advantages: 0 / Powers: 0 / Defenses: 1 (13)

-Poor Toby is pretty much the "office buttmonkey", being a sad-eyed HR rep who is liked most mostly everyone, but takes constant abuse from Michael (who doesn't view HR as "part of their family", and since Toby's divorced, he's "Not really a part of HIS family" either). Their relationship is comically full of hatred, as Toby is constantly punished, insulted and made fun of by the infantile boss, especially when he's trying to restore order. As Michael says, "If I was in a room with Hitler, Bin Laden & Toby, and I had only two bullets, I would shoot Toby twice".

-Toby really doesn't like his job (thought it's not a nightmare- "because you can wake up from nightmares"). He was seen as likable by the other characters, but eventually creeped out Pam by holding her leg just a little too long to "comfort" her, and this led to him bailing on Dunder-Mifflin for a while. He was replaced by Holly, whom Michael LOVED, but eventually returned, leading to the classic meme of Michael screaming ".... NO! NO! NO! NO! NOOOOOOOOOO!". We learn more about how miserable he is (he refuses to enter a church in one scene- later, he arrives solo and speaks to the altar "... Why are you always so mean to me?"), how he was in the jury for the Scranton Strangler serial killer, and more. in the Series Finale, the office loses some staff like Jim, Pam, Creed & Kevin, and so they fall under the requirements to have HR- Dwight then immediately fires Toby, seen as the last joke at the character's expense.

-Toby's just an average guy doing an average type of job. He's not very charismatic (VERY few people in this office are), but he's a big smarter and more knowledgeable than most of the cast. Despite being weird, he's on the "Coalition of Reason" with Oscar, Jim & Pam.