A dc /marvel/temporal comics merged universe

The place to talk about your favorite novels, comic books and web comics.
act

A dc /marvel/temporal comics merged universe

Post by act »

Here is what I would like to do:create a dc/marvel/temporal comics merged universe.
How can I do that?
Ares
Site Admin

Re: A dc /marvel/temporal comics merged universe

Post by Ares »

The best thing to do is think about the characters and elements of what you like most about the DC and Marvel Universes. Think about how they might interact with each other, if there's any links you can build between them, and how they might work alongside with or change each other.

For instances, are the Watchers and the Guardians of the Universe related somehow? Both DC and Marvel have Greek Pantheons and a Hercules, so do you pick one over the other or blend them together? How did the various histories and characters influence each other? Are teams different, such as Wonder Woman being on the Avengers or something similar?
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
act

Post by act »

thanks for the advice
Ken

Post by Ken »

"Temporal"?
My Amazing Woman: a super-hero romantic comedy podcast.

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.
NoOneofConsequence

Post by NoOneofConsequence »

I've sometimes considered such a thing (Marvel + DC at least) with the idea of trying to figure out which fictional DC city is meant to be based on/analogous to which real city and just have it replace the real city. But it is debatable which is supposed to be which, so you are never going to hear the end of whatever you decide. (Opting to replace Chicago with Gotham, for example.)

Of course, this also means you end up with all of the Marvel heroes likely being in Metropolis, which could be a bug or a feature.
What is tolerance? It is the consequence of humanity. We are all formed of frailty and error; let us pardon reciprocally each other's folly. That is the first law of nature.
Voltaire, "Tolerance" (1764)
Ken

Post by Ken »

NoOneofConsequence wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 5:13 am I've sometimes considered such a thing (Marvel + DC at least) with the idea of trying to figure out which fictional DC city is meant to be based on/analogous to which real city and just have it replace the real city. But it is debatable which is supposed to be which, so you are never going to hear the end of whatever you decide. (Opting to replace Chicago with Gotham, for example.)

Of course, this also means you end up with all of the Marvel heroes likely being in Metropolis, which could be a bug or a feature.
That's one of the big differences on flavour between DC and Marvel. DC has its heroes spread out in multiple cities, some of which are analogues of real cities. Marvel has most of its heroes all operating out of NYC.

DC City ==> real world city equivalent
New York City ==> NYC (worth mentioning because heroes like Firestorm, GL Kyle Rayner, and the classic New Teen Titans called New York home, as well as Wonder Woman in the 1970s, and the Freedom Fighters)
Metropolis ==> NYC
Gotham City ==> NYC
Knickerbocker City ==> NYC
Midway City ==> Chicago
Hub City ==> Chicago
Civic City ==> Philadelphia
Keystone City ==> (prior to 1986) Philadelphia, (after 1986) Kansas City
Central City ==> the other Kansas City
Gateway City ==> (prior to 1995) Saint Louis, (after 1995) San Francisco
Ivy Town ==> New Haven, Connecticut
Calvin City ==> Hartford, Connecticut
Capitol City ==> Washington D.C.
Fawcett City ==> ??? (somewhere in the midwest)
Coast City ==> ??? (somewhere in California)
Star City ==> ??? (it's been an analogue of Chicago, Boston, and Seattle, among others)

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.
NoOneofConsequence

It might be potentially interesting to try placing various Marvel heroes in other cities - the Fantastic Four in a Coast City that takes the place of LA and is (or at least was) heavily based around the aerospace industry, and is where Reed developed his rocketship, for example.

Just personally, I've come to prefer seeing Gotham as Chicago, mainly for the wide spread gangsterism of the 30s, the political corruption of the Daley era, and this century's gang violence. Also because then Bludhaven can take the place of Milwaukee or Gary.

I sometimes consider the idea of Fawcett being Minneapolis-St. Paul, but I can't remember what originally prompted such a thought.

One side effect of replacing real world cities with a DC counterpart would be possible alterations to US history or culture. If you replace LA with Coast City, for example, what happens to Hollywood and the film industry? Is it there, just taking a bit of a backseat to tech and aerospace in the 40s to 70s? Is it its own city nearby? (Maybe as an alternate Star City?) Or a third option?
What is tolerance? It is the consequence of humanity. We are all formed of frailty and error; let us pardon reciprocally each other's folly. That is the first law of nature.
NoOneofConsequence

Ken wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 3:00 am "Temporal"?
http://www.temporalcomics.com/ I presume?
act

Post by act »

NoOneofConsequence wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 7:16 pm
Ken wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 3:00 am "Temporal"?
http://www.temporalcomics.com/ I presume?
Yes,thank you very much for asking.should i create my own dc/marvel/temporal comics merged multiverse?
Ken

Post by Ken »

I don't know if you should or shouldn't. If you decide to do so, I would be interested in how you deal with the Grant Farrell/Don Blake and Fred Carson/Simon Williams situations.

NoOneofConsequence

Random pointless setting idea riff:

Metropolis (replacing NYC), home over the years to Doc Savage, Superman, Spiderman, Daredevil, Black Lightning, and the TMNT.

Gotham City (replacing Chicago), home to the Shadow, Dick Tracy, Batman.

Coast City and Star City (replacing the greater LA area), home to Zorro, Green Lantern, Green Arrow, the Fantastic Four/Future Foundation, Blue Devil, Wonder Man, Tigra.

Central City (replacing Columbus OH), home of the Spirit, the Flash.

Keystone City (replacing Philadelphia), home of the golden age Flash and post revival Captain America.

Midway City (replacing St. Louis), home of Hawkman and Hawkwoman, Doom Patrol.

Dakota City (replacing Detroit), home of Icon, Static, the Green Hornet

Gateway City (replacing San Francisco), home of Wonder Woman, the Spectre, both versions of Mr. Terrific, the Green Turtle,

Jump City (replacing Oakland), home of the Titans,

Hub City (replacing Milwaukee), home of The Question and silver age Blue Beetle.

Evergreen City (replacing Seattle),

National City/Civic City (replacing Washington DC), home of golden age Justice Society

Fawcett City (replacing Indianapolis), home of the Marvel Family,

Ivy Town (replacing New Haven CT), home of the Atom
Davies

Post by Davies »

I would sooner pick Minneapolis for Dakota City, given that the Dakota nation place their origin in Minnesota, and leave Detroit for the Green Hornet and Robocop.
"I'm sorry. I love you. I'm not sorry I love you."
Ken

Post by Ken »

NoOneofConsequence wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 2:03 am Midway City (replacing St. Louis), home of Hawkman and Hawkwoman, Doom Patrol.

Gateway City (replacing San Francisco), home of Wonder Woman, the Spectre, both versions of Mr. Terrific, the Green Turtle,
So, will Midway City then get Saint Louis' real world nickname of "the Gateway City"? I mean, one of NYC's nickname's is "Gotham", and you're replacing Chicago with Gotham, so it's weirdly consistent. Even if I still curse John Byrne's ignorance of U.S. cities.

NoOneofConsequence

Ken wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 3:29 am So, will Midway City then get Saint Louis' real world nickname of "the Gateway City"? I mean, one of NYC's nickname's is "Gotham", and you're replacing Chicago with Gotham, so it's weirdly consistent. Even if I still curse John Byrne's ignorance of U.S. cities.
Probably just be known as "the Midway Point of the nation" or something. Though an alternative might be Gateway is St. Louis and San Francisco is something else., with Midway as Des Moines, Kansas City, or the like.
NoOneofConsequence

Davies wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 3:08 am I would sooner pick Minneapolis for Dakota City, given that the Dakota nation place their origin in Minnesota, and leave Detroit for the Green Hornet and Robocop.
Hmm. Good point. 🤔

Hub City might replace Detroit, with Blüdhaven as Milwaukee.

I keep thinking of Opal City (from Starman) replacing Baltimore, but I'm not sure.