Guardians of the Galaxy Holiday Special

The place to talk about your favorite movies, tv series, cartoons, music and theater.
Ares
Site Admin

Guardians of the Galaxy Holiday Special

Post by Ares »

I just saw this last night with my brother on Disney+, and it was a lot of fun. It gets a solid recommend from me.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
Corrigon

Re: Guardians of the Galaxy Holiday Special

Post by Corrigon »

I must admit, I've been tempted to buy the soundtrack to this
greycrusader

Post by greycrusader »

This one was a lot of fun, and kind of heart-warming. The humor works because of the principal characters involved, since Drax and Mantis both have limited understanding of human society along with very dissonant codes of conduct. It helps that the movie goes by Rule of Funny, so no one gets (badly) hurt by the antics (which include assault, robbery, kidnapping, and major property damage). Oh, and there's a major revelation about about...
(SPOILER SPACE)

DRAX! It turns out his OTHER arch-enemy is a GO-BOT!

All my best.
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

greycrusader wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 2:56 am This one was a lot of fun, and kind of heart-warming. The humor works because of the principal characters involved, since Drax and Mantis both have limited understanding of human society along with very dissonant codes of conduct. It helps that the movie goes by Rule of Funny, so no one gets (badly) hurt by the antics (which include assault, robbery, kidnapping, and major property damage). Oh, and there's a major revelation about about...
(SPOILER SPACE)

DRAX! It turns out his OTHER arch-enemy is a GO-BOT!

All my best.

We actually have spoiler tags now.
Spoiler
See?

Also, they remembered that Mantis is a martial arts expert
Just use [spoiler [/spoiler with the closed brackets in the proper place.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
greycrusader

Post by greycrusader »

I'm afraid I was having just a bit of minor fun teasing a "spoiler", Ares (hint: there's a much bigger revelation in the movie, for those who don't know it already).

You know, the other reason I enjoyed the Holiday Special is that James Gunn didn't feel the need to step on dramatic or poignant moments with snark one-liners, often coming from characters for whom it is completely OUT of character. In some ways, the MCU movies have suffered due to the success of the early Iron Man and Guardians franchises (along with the later Thor: Ragnarok), because they took the WRONG lesson from them, pushing irreverant and even mean-spirited comedy at the expense of characterization, undercutting heroism with buffoonery.

The worst example of this was IM 3, where Bruce Banner is basically sleeping through his supposed best friend Tony's story about PTSD and a threat that almost saw Pepper and Rhodey get killed. I mean-what the hell!? What kind of friend is that? And all for a joke about how Banner isn't "that kind of doctor", so it makes Tony look like an idiot too?

All my best.
Last edited by greycrusader on Tue Apr 11, 2023 12:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
mrdent12

Post by mrdent12 »

It was a fun little special feature that definitely had good music. It had one of my favourite Christmas songs in it as well so that was a huge plus. I'd almost forgotten about Drax and Mantis aside from them being joke fodder or side characters.
Ken

Post by Ken »

It ran too long. I got particularly tired of
Spoiler
Drax and Mantis are idiots as well as being culturally lost. The whole Kevin Bacon could have been half as long,
and the story still would have worked.
Last edited by Ken on Tue Dec 06, 2022 2:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
My Amazing Woman: a super-hero romantic comedy podcast.

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.
catsi563

Post by catsi563 »

saw it and I enjoyed it immensely the songs were catchy and it was a fun time
Dr. Silverback has wryly observed that this is like trying to teach lolcats about Shakespeare

Showdown at the Litterbox

Catsi stories
Jack of Spades

Post by Jack of Spades »

I think "I Don't Know What Christmas Is" is my new favorite Christmas song. Which means there's one I actually like. Any song with the line "Humans are so weird..."
Jack's Deck build threadFantasy Geographic Society campaign web site
kenseido

Post by kenseido »

I wondered about the animation segments for the flashback scenes. It was probably a practical choice. This was filmed during the filming of Guardians 3, so people were in costume and makeup already. But Rooker wouldn't be there in costume and makeup playing Yondu. So rather than fly him out and put him in costume and makeup, they just put him in a sound booth wherever he is and record lines. Same for whatever actor they hired for young Peter. They don't have to worry about the actor who played him in the first movie being older.

Even still, it gave it an interesting feel.
Shock

Post by Shock »

I find it hard to believe it's cheaper to animate an entire segment than it is to fly an actor in for a few days.
kenseido

Post by kenseido »

Shock wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 1:38 pmI find it hard to believe it's cheaper to animate an entire segment than it is to fly an actor in for a few days.
You have to pay him - and the kid - at guild rates. You have to pay for travel, room and board, and makeup and costume - Yondu's isn't cheap. You also have to schedule it. If Rooker is working on anything else, getting him to take time off to fly out to where the other actors are already at could be a challenge. Given the time difference, you need to recast the kid.
Ken

Post by Ken »

There's a long history of animation, either cartooning or stop motion puppets, in holiday specials. Even the "Star Wars Life Day Special" had that Boba Fett cartoon.
My Amazing Woman: a super-hero romantic comedy podcast.

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.