Dc heroes role-playing game

General discussions about role-playing games. Share stories, ask for advice, talk about the industry, etc.
act

Dc heroes role-playing game

Post by act »

I have this question regarding the dc heroes role-playing game:will dc comics ever pair with a small game publisher and do a deluxe hard cover anniversary edition updating the characters and such at some point?
Ares
Site Admin

Re: Dc heroes role-playing game

Post by Ares »

I don't think it's very likely we'll ever see an updated version of the Green Ronin DC Adventures game. It's possible, but given the headache GR had with getting the book out in the first place due to the constant fighting with DC editorial, it don't think the odds of it happening are very good.

Updating the characters also seems kind of iffy, since I have a hard time imagining anyone making a DC Universe RPG and trying to base it on the current state of the DCU, because DC seems almost violently opposed to having a status quo. Any RPG released would feel out of date a few weeks late. It's why instead going for the Nu-52, Green Ronin went for more iconic/classic versions of the characters, as that's what they tend to return to eventually.

I imagine what I'd do if I were hired to adapt the DCU to an RPG, and given the stories I've heard the first thing I'd do is have an iron clad contract that would prevent DC editorial from overly meddling with the project. They'd naturally have some veto power and input, but none of the craziness that Green Ronin had to put up with.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
act

Post by act »

Ares wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 6:21 pm I don't think it's very likely we'll ever see an updated version of the Green Ronin DC Adventures game. It's possible, but given the headache GR had with getting the book out in the first place due to the constant fighting with DC editorial, it don't think the odds of it happening are very good.

Updating the characters also seems kind of iffy, since I have a hard time imagining anyone making a DC Universe RPG and trying to base it on the current state of the DCU, because DC seems almost violently opposed to having a status quo. Any RPG released would feel out of date a few weeks late. It's why instead going for the Nu-52, Green Ronin went for more iconic/classic versions of the characters, as that's what they tend to return to eventually.

I imagine what I'd do if I were hired to adapt the DCU to an RPG, and given the stories I've heard the first thing I'd do is have an iron clad contract that would prevent DC editorial from overly meddling with the project. They'd naturally have some veto power and input, but none of the craziness that Green Ronin had to put up with.
Yeah,I See Your Point.I Would like to see an updated version of the dc heroes game,thank you very much for telling me this
Sidious

Post by Sidious »

Ares wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 6:21 pm I don't think it's very likely we'll ever see an updated version of the Green Ronin DC Adventures game. It's possible, but given the headache GR had with getting the book out in the first place due to the constant fighting with DC editorial, it don't think the odds of it happening are very good.

I'm very interested in hearing about what they went through to get the game out.
act

Post by act »

Sidious wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 12:26 pm

I'm very interested in hearing about what they went through to get the game out.
Me too,count me in.
FuzzyBoots

Post by FuzzyBoots »

Sidious wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 12:26 pm I'm very interested in hearing about what they went through to get the game out.
It's not my story to tell, but I think Greycrusader worked as a freelancer and made some posts on the old board. They're still around, and might be willing to speak. Then again, they might be bound by confidentiality agreements and/or not wanting to poison relationships in the industry.
act

Post by act »

FuzzyBoots wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 6:21 pm
Sidious wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 12:26 pm I'm very interested in hearing about what they went through to get the game out.
It's not my story to tell, but I think Greycrusader worked as a freelancer and made some posts on the old board. They're still around, and might be willing to speak. Then again, they might be bound by confidentiality agreements and/or not wanting to poison relationships in the industry.
yeah,you are right about that
greycrusader

Post by greycrusader »

act wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 11:05 am
FuzzyBoots wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 6:21 pm
yeah,you are right about that
Well, I definitely don't want to poison any industry relationships, but I think both myself and others have discussed before that DC editorial didn't seem to know exactly what they wanted in terms of the write-ups; were they supposed to reflect what was going in with the characters in the modern era, or be written more broadly (in terms of the major heroes and villains), just to give a broad overview of the characters' qualities and past adventures? There was first the one directive, then the other, and finally we were told the write-ups should be current, but also "iconic; this honestly didn't affect my work too much, since the most well-known characters I was doing were the Doom Patrol (though even then, I had to be careful to "write around" the Vertigo material, which was a no-go for various reasons), with my others being the Crime Syndicate of Amerika (though even those got revised in the end), the Omega Men, the R.E.B.E.L.s, and various other space-based heroes, villains, and general aliens.

UNFORTUNATELY, about a hot minute after the books starting hitting the shelves, DC went through the whole "End of Flashpoint/Nu-52" overhaul, which severed a lot of the ties to the DC Adventures RPG material. The fact that the company keeps re-booting its universe every 3-5 years since then hasn't helped, either. I suppose now I can understand the emphasis on the "iconic" aspects of Batman, Superman, Green Lantern, and so on-here's their origins, what they stand for, their major villains, etc., without getting much into whatever the continuity is at the time.

Honestly, from what I've gathered as a still-outsider, the choice not to continue the license (which is why the PDFs aren't available from Green Ronin anymore), let alone go forward, is mostly DC's choice, just as Marvel pulled the license for Margaret Weiss' Cortex system. The companies that own DC and Marvel would rather do in-house projects, IF they get involved in RPGS at all, since toys, costumes, and other merch are more lucrative deals. Heck, the books themselves are primarily seen now as intellectual property generators for movies, tv shows, and video/PC games. Note that I have no inside info on whether GR ownership wanted to/would be willing to renew a contract with any comic book company, though I imagine the knowledge that one day the rights to publish/sale any products produced under the license will definitely go away is not exactly an incentive.

That's about all I have to offer, and certainly hope I didn't speak out of turn, as GR has really been quite decent to me as a publisher, especially on my last adventure for them, Star-Crossed, which had some real delays due to unfortunate family issues. And who knows, maybe we'll all be pleasantly surprised one day!

All my best.
Sidious

Post by Sidious »

Thanks. That actually clears things a lot.
act

Post by act »

yeah,you said it
greycrusader

Post by greycrusader »

And just like that, Green Ronin will be doing two source books for Valiant comics.
Sidious

Post by Sidious »

I excited.