Seren's Progressing Timeline

Have a setting you like or a home brew you want to share? Do it here.
Seren

Seren's Progressing Timeline

Post by Seren »

It started with Batman. I had a simple question about what Batman's history would look like if comics had to progress through time (the question is simple - the answer, not so much, but that was part of the appeal). In particular, who would be Batman? I'm not arguing the ability to travel the world, or learn everything he did, or be able to perform as a superhero - but even with the best assumptions, would Bruce really be going out after 80 years? I know immortality methods exist, so probably, but then we need to see what effect that has on him. If an injury takes Batman out for longer than being killed, what does that mean for his code against killing?
More practically, though, that's a boring answer.
I brought it up for conversation at a relative's house (one with a Batman room), and just got an explanation of why they use the sliding time scale. I am, admittedly, not a deep diver into the comics - but the analysis and explanation of characters has let me build up a weird degree of knowledge.

So, I came up with a couple guidelines and began to look into Batman's timeline and worked out a couple interesting ideas. It has been a few years, so some of these I don't remember the exact reason for putting them when I did - but I have guesses.
First: No Immortality. As I said, it's a boring excuse for characters to still be around. This includes free resurrection - but there's still ways around this. Lazarus Pits allow revival at the cost of the person's mind; non-humans may be longer-lived; the closest that I've allowed is for pocket dimensions that prevent aging (Themyscira and Olympus), though I don't love that solution.
Second: Everyone changes. After 5 years, and by the time 15 years has passed, if a character's been active, there should be a major change for them. Although I'm fine with characters being retired and coming back, I haven't actually had that be necessary. Events before the character's adventures don't fall into this (and is part of the reason for the major exceptions in #1).
Third: The timeline stays as similar as possible. Clarification: When compared to concerns of recovery rate or accurate aging, a change of identity is minor.

As I went through that timeline, I found it interesting how well it seemed to work, and began wondering about other characters. My big question is what the modern Justice League looks like, with the possibility of including other characters into the timeline. As this is in progress, events are sure to be adjusted, particularly as I add in or flesh out characters or if something really doesn't work.
Ultimately, I'd like to see this for Marvel, though I'm not sure whether I want the extra concerns of a combined universe.
Seren

Re: Seren's Progressing Timeline

Post by Seren »

The Timeline
The Early Universe (Big Bang to Earth & Moon)
13,819,998,050 to 13,777,998,050 BCE
- The Big Bang; If further back in time, ignore the concept of causation
4,568,198,050 BCE
- Sol forms
4,542,198,050 BCE to 4,499,998,050 BCE
- Earth forms
Natural History (Life on Earth to Homo Sapiens)
4,249,998,050 BCE
- Earliest life on Earth
313,050 BCE
- Homo sapiens appears
Human Prehistory (Homo Sapiens to Writing)
c. 18,050 BCE
- Martian species division (White and Green)
c. 10,159 BCE
- Birth of J'onn J'onzz
c. 10,055 BCE
- Birth of M'gann M'orzz
c. 10,050 BCE
- Martian Civil War
- M'gann M'orzz sent to Vega System
c. 10,045 BCE
- J'onn J'onzz is teleported to November 1955
c. 10,015 BCE
- Orin and Poseidonis appear from the future in Ancient Atlantis
c. 10,000 BCE
- The Justice League appears from the future in Ancient Atlantis; Orin returns with them.
9,564 BCE
- Atlantis sinks
c. 3,000 BCE
- Stonehenge construction begins
2,650 to 2,600 BCE
- Writing developed
Ancient History (2,600 BCE to 476 CE)
2,500 BCE
- Cronus takes over Olympus
- Zeus is born
2,404 BCE
- Zeus conquers Olympus
2,200 BCE
- Stonehenge completed
1,350 BCE
- Amazons formed from clay and deceased souls by Olympian goddesses
1,276 BCE
- Heracles born
1,256 BCE
- Heracles and Megara
1,220 BCE
- Heracles' 9th task in Themyscira leads to the Fall of the Amazons
- Amazons are banished from the world
1,209 BCE
- Divine intervention prevents the death of Heracles
- Heracles ascends to Olympus as the Greek God of Strength
c. 221 BCE
- Yalan Gur interferes with ancient China and collides with Green Flame of Life meteorite; Lamp-maker uses meteor and is killed
Middle Ages (480 to 1500)
Early Modern Era (1501 to 1949)
1582 CE
- October 4: Last day of Julian calendar
- October 15: First day of Gregorian calendar
1780 CE
- Princess Diana of Themyscira formed from clay
1872 CE
- April 8: Birth of Alfred Pennyworth
1875 CE
- Birth of Kara Zor-El
- Birth of Arthur Curry
- Death of Atlanna
- Tom Curry begins search for Atlantis
1878 CE
- Tom Curry finds ruins of underwater city, mutating himself and his son, Arthur
1880 CE
- Birth of Orm Curry
1885 CE
- Birth of Kal-El
1888 CE
- Krypton Explodes: Kal-El and Kara Zor-El sent to Earth in suspended animation
1899 CE
- January 5: Birth of James Gordon
1908 CE
- August 17: Birth of Lois Lane
1914 CE
- Birth of Alan Scott
- April 7: Birth of Bruce Wayne
1915 CE
- June 18: Kal-El found by Jonathan and Martha Kent
- July 25: Birth of Lucy Lane
1917 CE
- James Gordon enlists as a Marine
- September: Clark Kent (Kal-El) starts school
1919 CE
- Birth of Jay Garrick
1922 CE
- Thomas and Martha Wayne killed; James Gordon present; Bruce Wayne is raised by Alfred Pennyworth
1923 CE
- James Gordon joins the GCPD
- Lois Lane applies at Daily Planet
1929 CE
- Jonathan and Martha Kent die
1930 CE
- Bruce Wayne begins world travels
- Clark Kent (Kal-El) learns his heritage, begins school at Metropolis University
1931 CE
- November 11: Birth of Richard Grayson
1932 CE
- Birth of Barry Allen
- Green Lamp made into lantern by inhabitant of Arkham
- Birth of Hal Jordan
1934 CE
- Alan Scott finds lantern and builds his ring
1936 CE
- James Gordon promoted to Commissioner
1937 CE
- September 23: Birth of Barbara Gordon
1938 CE
- Jay Garrick gains powers, becomes a football player
- June: Superman (Kal-El/Clark Kent) saves Lois Lane
1939 CE
- May: Bruce Wayne first appears as the Bat Man in Gotham
1940 CE
- January: The Flash (Jay Garrick) makes his first appearance
- April: Bruce Wayne takes in Dick Grayson; Batman's sidekick, Robin first appears
- July: Green Lantern (Alan Scott) makes his first appearance
- November: The JSA is founded
1941 CE
- November: Aquaman (Arthur Curry) first appears
1942 CE
- The JSA is charged with shadow energy that slows their aging: this affects Bruce Wayne, Kal-El, Arthur Curry, Jay Garrick, and Alan Scott
- January: Steve Trevor crashes on Themyscira, causing events leading to Princess Diana becoming Wonder Woman
1943 CE
- Alfred Pennyworth is working in the Bat Cave (discovers?)
- Birth of Mera
1945 CE
- Birth of Wally West
1949 CE
- Alan Scott retires
Modern Day (1950 to Now)
1950 CE
- Birth of Talia al Ghul
- Lois Lane and Clark Kent marry
1951 CE
- Political pressure to unmask causes JSA to disband
- Jay Garrick marries Joan and opens experimental lab
- Alan Scott returns as Green Lantern before congress
1954 CE
- Bruce Wayne and Alfred Pennyworth retire
- Dick Grayson becomes the new Batman, mentored by Bruce Wayne
- Barbara Gordon begins training, mentored by her granduncle, Alfred Pennyworth
1955 CE
- November: Dr. Saul Erdel teleports J'onn J'onnzz across time and space accidentally, dying in the process.
1956 CE
- October: Barry Allen splashed with lightning struck chemicals, J'onn J'onnzz makes contact with Mars
1959 CE
- Wally West splashed with lightning struck chemicals
- May: Kara Zor-El arrives on Earth
- October: Hal Jordan becomes Green Lantern
1960 CE
- The JLA forms
1961 CE
- Jay Garrick meets Barry Allen
- July: Kara Zor-El adopted by the Danvers
1962 CE
- February: Supergirl (Kara Zor-El) makes her public debut
1963 CE
- Wally West develops Kid Flash costume
1964 CE
- May: JLA temporarily disbands. Dick Grayson redesigns his suit
- June: Bruce Wayne sacrifices himself to save Batman
- December: Arthur Curry and Mera named King and Queen of Atlantis
1965 CE
- June 17-23: Kara Danvers (Kara Zor-El) graduates
1966 CE
- May: Birth of Jennifer-Lynn Hayden and Todd James Rice (to Alan Scott and Rose Canton)
- October: Bruce Wayne's body is animated as the Outsider
1967 CE
- Alan Scott marries Rose Canton
- Nightwing (Barbara Gordon) begins working with Batman (Dick Grayson) and Supergirl (Kara Zor-El)
1968 CE
- March: J'onn J'onnzz takes his last mission as a member of the JLA
1969 CE
- May: J'onn J'onnzz founds and leads New Mars
1971 CE
- Batman rescues Talia al Ghul and they retire sometime in the next 17 years
1972 CE
- Birth of Orin
- July 19: Birth of Timothy Drake
1973 CE
- Birth of Arthur Joseph Curry
- Arthur Curry finds Orin abandoned on Mercy Reef
- August 16: Birth of Jason Todd
1981 CE
- August 11: Birth of Stephanie Brown
1982 CE
- Alan Scott marries Molly Mayne
- April: Hal Jordan banished from Earth by Guardians
1983 CE
- Dick Grayson discovers Jason Todd stealing his tires; Jason becomes a Robin with no Batman
- January 26: Birth of Cassandra Cain
- September: Jade (Jennifer Lynn-Hayden) and Obsidian (Todd James Rice) appear as Infinity, Inc.
1984 CE
- January: Hal Jordan returns to Earth, resigning from the Green Lantern Corps, John Stewart becomes Green Lantern
- July to September: Martian Invasion; M'gann M'orzz arrives on Earth
- October: JLA disbands
- December: JLA is reformed with a duty to aid on threats; Batman is effectively kicked out, Martian Manhunter (J'onn J'onnzz) rejoins
1985 CE
- Crisis on Infinite Earths: Paradise Dimension forms, Supergirl (Kara Zor-El) dies, Barry Allen dissolves into the Speed Force, Wally West becomes The Flash
- October: Aquaman leaves the JLA
1986 CE
- February: Dick Grayson returns for (roughly) the events of The Dark Knight Returns
1987 CE
- Orin meets Kako
- Wally West wins the lottery
- August 9: Birth of Damian al Ghul
- September: Diana and Hippolyta discover Heracles in Tartarus
1988 CE
- Death of Arthur Curry
- The Joker attacks Batman's allies over the year. Batman blames his retirement.
- March: Barbara Gordon is paralyzed; Themyscira opens to the outside world
- December: Jason Todd is killed
1989 CE
- Tim Drake confronts Dick Grayson, becoming Robin
- January: Oracle makes her first appearance
- June: Orin imprisoned in Poseidonis
- October: Alien invasion of Poseidonic; Orin fights Mera, who leaves reality (possible temporal event)
- December: Ripples of Infinite Crisis: Jason Todd now never died. He breaks out of the coffin before slipping into a coma
1991 CE
- Amazons around the world become clay for ~4 months.
- Jason Todd wakes. He escapes the hospital unnoticed.
1992 CE
- Orin becomes UN Representative for Atlantis
- Talia al Ghul takes Jason Todd to recover at a Lazarus Pit.
- Stephanie Brown begins sabotaging Cluemaster
- Infinite Ragnarok ends
- September: Serious increase in underworld activity; Batman (Dick Grayson) begins pulling all-nighters
- November: Superman (Kal-El) fights Doomsday; neither survives
1993 CE
- Jason Todd travels the world
- Superman's body goes missing
- Coast City destroyed while Hal Jordan is off planet
- April: Arkham Asylum has massive breakout, caused by Bane
- June: Three Supermen (plus the Man of Steel) appear publicly
- July: Knightfall begins. Dick Grayson's back is broken and he's taken out of country. Tim Drake stays to keep Jean-Paul Valley in check.
- August: Wally West first passes the speed of light
- October: Kal-El's body discovered in the possession of The Last Son of Krypton
1994 CE
- Dick Grayson, Barbara Gordon, and Tim Drake confront Jean-Paul Valley. Dick officially retires and Tim becomes The Batman
- March: Hal Jordan absorbs power battery, becoming Parallax; Kyle Rayner becomes Green Lantern
- July: Bart Allen taken from the future to race Wally West to reset Bart's aging speed
- September: Alan Scott passes his ring to Kyle Rayner
1995 CE
- Alan Scott/Kyle Rayner's ring destroyed by Parallax
- Alan Scott unites with Starheart, becoming Sentinel
- November: Bart Allen becomes Impulse
- December: Hippolyta banishes herself from Themyscira
1996 CE
- Tim Drake and Barbara Gordon launch the Oracle program to co-ordinate the Birds of Prey on a larger scale
- Hal Jordan returns to Earth, restarting the sun
- October: Poseidonis surfaces
1997 CE
- "The Life Story of the Flash" by Iris Allen published
- The Hyperclan, a group of White Martians, fight the JLA
- January: Orin becomes Aquaman, joining the JLA
- November: Diana Prince ascends to Olympus as the Greek Goddess of Truth
- December: Hippolyta becomes Wonder Woman
1998 CE
- March: Gotham City earthquake
1999 CE
- Hal Jordan becomes the Spectre, appearance never changes
- August: Cassandra Cain first appears as Batgirl in Gotham
2000 CE
- February: Obsidian corrupted by Ian Karkull
2001 CE
- Tim Drake learns of Jason Todd's death from Dick Grayson. He visits the grave, and discovers that it is empty.
- Themyscira sent to space and destroyed.
- Orin and Poseidonis sent to ancient past
- October: A duplicate Bart Allen is killed
2002 CE
- February: Greek and Egyptian Gods unite to create floating islands of Themyscira
- July: JLA sent to Ancient Atlantis
- December: Poseidonis returns, sunk
2003 CE
- Hush leads a psychological attack on Tim Drake
- September: Jay Garrick mentors Bart Allen, Obsidian cured and recovers from corruption
- December: Bart Allen becomes Kid Flash
2004 CE
- April: Earthquake sinks part of San Diego
- May: Ripples of Infinite Crisis: Kara Zor-El now never died.
- July: The Batman (Tim Drake) takes on a new Robin, Stephanie Brown
2005 CE
- The Spectre (Hal Jordan) returns to Coast City
- September: Martian Manhunter discovers M'gann M'orrzz; he disiappears and is suspected dead
- October: Batgirl (Cassandra Cain) killed in League of Assassins civil war, but revived in Lazarus Pit shortly afterward
2006 CE
- Infinite Crisis: Paradise Dimension destroyed, rippling timeline, Atlantis destroyed, Mera returns, Jay Garrick loses access to the Speed Force and Shadow Energy, Bart Allen lives in alternate reality for four years then becomes The Flash, Death of Jade
- Alan Scott loses an eye, replacing it 6 months later with a magic eye
- April: Orin raises Sub Diego with magic, becomes Dweller in the Depths
- May: Dweller in the Depths summons Arthur Joseph Curry to become Aquaman
- August: Miss Martian (M'gann M'orrzz) first appears
- September: Damian al Ghul meets his father, Dick Grayson
2007 CE
- March: Death of Dweller in the Depths; Arthur Joseph Curry takes the name Joseph
- April: Martian Manhunter fights Black Adam, takes on a more Martian form
- June 27: Wally West marries Linda Park, leaving for an alternate reality with their kids
- November: Miss Martian's evil future self visits, revealing herself as a White Martian
2008 CE
- Bart Allen is killed
- Jay Garrick regains the Speed Force and Shadow Energy
- Barry Allen recorporealizes
- July: Martian Manhunter is killed
2009 CE
- The Bat-Family (later Batman Inc.) forms with: Oracle (Barbara Gordon), The Batman (Tim Drake), Red Robin (Jason Todd), Batgirl (Stephanie Brown), Black Bat (Cassandra Cain), Robin (Damian al Ghul)
- Joseph discovered to have abandoned the role of King of Atlantis
- Mera named Queen of Atlantis
- Alan Scott founds Emerald City
- Blackest Night: Arthur Curry, Martian Manhunter, Jade reanimated, Hal Jordan unites the Lantern Corps
2010 CE
- January: Barry Allen becomes a Blue Lantern
- May: Martian Manhunter meets Melissa Erdel
2011 CE
- March: Arthur Curry transformed into Elemental of Water, Martian Manhunter transformed into Elemental of Earth, Jade transformed into Elemental of (Air/Fire?)
- May to September: Flashpoint: Tim Drake has a memento, Barry Allen remembers these events
- July: Hal Jordan becomes a Yellow Lantern
- August: Death of Alan Scott
2013 CE
- February: Damian and Talia al Ghul killed by League of Assassins
2014 CE
- May: Ra's al Ghul revives Talia and Damian al Ghul
- June: Joseph forms the Others, becoming a fugitive from Atlantis
2015 CE
- November: Alternate Reality? Miss Martian travels to 2007
2017 CE
- Flash and Batman investigating Dr. Manhatten
2023 CE
- Current Day
The Future
2985 CE
- Barry Allen reunites with new Iris West
- Barry Allen kidnapped to 1985
2986 CE
- Birth of Don and Dawn Allen
3012 CE
- Birth of Barry "Bart" Allen
3014 CE
- Bart Allen taken to 1994
Color Key
I'm including this mostly for ease of access in future edits, but also to figure out what works:

Real World
Crossover Event
Bat-Family
Team Superman
Atlantis
Flash
Green Lantern
Mythology
Martian
Last edited by Seren on Fri Feb 10, 2023 3:55 pm, edited 9 times in total.
Seren

Post by Seren »

Batman
Since he's the one that started it, I have to add Batman first. These are what types of stories I have result from putting the characters into the timeline.

Bruce Wayne
Bruce finds himself devoted to the idea that he needs to do whatever he can to rid Gotham of evil. Bat Man takes a more relaxed approach - although physically fit, Bruce more often finds himself learning of a crime and following clues across town to solve them. This usually ends in a chase or exchange of gunfire, but to get there, he proves that he is the World's Greatest Detective.
This, and a promise to his parents' grave, leads him to the conclusion that he's the one to resolve Gotham's problems. This doesn't mean that he's unwilling to work with others - he's on missions with the Justice Society and recruits Robin - but ultimately comes back to the conclusion that it needs to be him.

This works until the JSA dissolves instead of revealing their members identities - suddenly, he's questioning if he's unwilling to unmask because it would hurt Gotham to not have the unknown, the symbol, of Bat Man or because it would risk what matters to Bruce Wayne. There's more of a divide of what Robin's told to do - sometimes he's nearly on his own, sometimes he's kept back even when he's the better one for it. Ultimately, Bruce admits that for the Bat to remain more than just a man in a suit, it needs to be passed on and last longer than he could do.

After this, Bruce fulfills Alfred's role, being support and a mentor for Dick Grayson's Batman as he learns how to be Batman. During this time, Bruce's arc is learning to let others take action and helping Batman to evolve - this is when Batman develops his "no killing rule".

Dick Grayson
Dick Grayson begins as the kid sidekick of Bat Man. Ultimately, this period is being part of Bruce's story until Bruce begins sending him on his own. Although Dick attends school during this time, this is done to reference Bruce's schooling. He's a solid enough student, but more an acrobat than a scholar.

As Batman, Dick's first arc is devoted to him learning just what all is involved in being the Bat. As this is with Bruce's support, there are a number of stories that reference his adventures and show just how different these two are - after the decade of their similarities being emphasized. In particular, Batman is more likely to catch criminals in the act rather than investigate to find their base. He even helps put together the Justice League as a successor to the JSA. Just as their relationship changed when the JSA disbanded, it changes again with the JLA's separation - Dick pushes out on his own, only for Bruce to die.

Dick's second Batman arc begins here, with a focus on the impact of Bruce Wayne on Batman. Despite the fact that he's dead, Dick finds himself discovering problems that were caused or exacerbated by Bruce - whether villains, the escalation of weaponry, or figuring out how to be Dick Grayson - and having to deal with the consequences.
This is when he began making stronger bonds with others in Gotham, developing a relationship with Barbara Gordon that ends positively before he meets Talia al Ghul. In yet another push away from Bruce, Dick decides to settle down and try to live a normal life.

Dick Grayson and Talia al Ghul develop a relationship and go mostly off the radar for around a decade and a half. Other than finding someone to replace him (the 10-year-old Jason Todd) and being kicked out of the JLA because he's retired, there's little to say about this time frame.

Eventually, however, Dick finds that Gotham needs Batman again and returns, this time with his own Robin. Unfortunately, this arc is about how necessary Batman is to Gotham. Having been gone, he's less prepared when Joker decides to go after various allies of his and Bruce's and Barbara's paralyzed protecting her father, while Jason is outright killed. Dick takes this as a message that Batman needs to be even more present, and pushes himself to unhealthy levels because of it.
With the idea that there needs to be a Batman, Dick does agree to train Tim Drake when confronted about being Batman by a detective almost up to Bruce's level, though Tim will be an adult before working publicly as Robin. When Bane turns up, stirring the underworld and eventually causing a breakout of Arkham, Dick nearly breaks himself mentally before Bane does physically.
With this, Dick is forced to face the idea that he may not be able to be Batman any more, and that he needs to stop while he can still choose someone deserving of the role. His struggle here is to trust that he, Barbara, and Robin can handle a deadly enemy together - and finds that trust rewarded.

Dick's last arc begins with the resolution of the last one, as he passes the title of Batman to Tim Drake and retires to Wayne Manor to recover. This last arc is about his own past, and how to deal with it in a way that doesn't repeat the mistakes of the last transfer. These include telling Tim Drake about the fate of Jason Todd, which is more part of the Batman's story, and (learning about and) introducing his son, Damian, to the Bat-Family.

Tim Drake
Tim spends a relatively short period of time as Robin, but it's an important time as he sees the full extent of the stress that being a solo Batman causes. First, through Dick, who's going into patrols sleep-deprived and without having enough time to heal just the normal night's bruises. He is then in charge of holding back a lethal Batman, being informed of Dick's experience with Bruce by Barbara.

After all that, Tim still agrees to be the Batman, although he's given less training specifically for that than anyone else. Instead, Tim plays to his strengths - his friends. Through funding and some technical support, Tim helps Barbara launch the Oracle program, an advanced communication system originally designed to help her co-ordinate the Birds of Prey but expanded to other hero groups. This comes in handy shortly after, when an earthquake hits Gotham City.
He also runs into someone in a costume based on his own, eventually agreeing to approve of her use of the name "Batgirl" and is the first to be aware of Jason Todd's empty grave.
When Hush makes his attack, Tim is much better mentally prepared than the other Bats would have been.

Once established as his own Batman, Tim Drake and Stephanie Brown have a discussion that leads to her being offered the role of the newest Robin. She accepts, beginning the stories focused on the couple navigating their relationship while being Batman and Robin.

Currently, the group has expanded into the Bat-Family, bringing the active members into who is "Batman" and converting the title further towards an idea. Notably, Tim Drake is coming due for a new arc.
Last edited by Seren on Sat Dec 24, 2022 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Seren

Post by Seren »

The Bat-Family
These are the characters that I had to add while putting Batman into the timeline. While I tried to make their histories make sense, the focus was not on them, so they have less detail for now.

Alfred Pennyworth
Being as tied to Bruce Wayne as he is, Alfred is one of the most unexpectedly difficult characters that I found.
Alfred was born to the Wayne Family butler, Jarvis, and one Miss Beagle. Although a Gotham native, Alfred's mother raised him in England (with the support of his father). At 25, he joined the Directorate of Military Intelligence until its restructure in 1904. During this time, he first became known as Pennyworth.
Learning of his father's failing health, Alfred took this opportunity to return to Gotham under his new name to help care for his father. To be close to his father, Alfred Pennyworth took a job as Thomas Wayne's butler, developing a friendship with the Waynes over the next 10 years. By the time Bruce is born, he had become part of the family.

When Alfred is 50, Thomas and Martha Wayne are killed. By the time Bruce left Gotham, Alfred had been his sole parental figure for half his life. While Bruce was away, Alfred was able to spend more time with other family, joining the Gordons for family holidays until Bruce returned. While he did not attend holidays, Alfred did remain close to his niece and her family over the years.
Alfred's experience in raising a child came in handy when Bruce adopted Dick Grayson and eventually all three became involved in Bat Man's work until 1954 when Bruce and Alfred retired.
As Bruce took up Alfred's role, Alfred found himself with more free time and began training his grandniece to protect Gotham as Nightwing.

Alfred Pennyworth's date and year of death are unknown, although educated guesses put the year as 1966, when Alfred is 94.

James Gordon
Much of Jim Gordon's childhood is unknown. He served as a Marine for four years, returning to Gotham as a civilian by 1922, when he comforted a young Bruce Wayne immediately after his parents murder.
This prompted Jim to join the GCPD in the next year. This time is also currently undocumented, although a few events of note did occur involving James Gordon. At some point, Gordon marries Alfred Beagle's niece and has family holidays with Alfred starting in 1930. The couple have two children, a son (Tony) and daughter (Barbara) - the latter being born the year after Jim's promotion to Commissioner.

At the age of 89, while living with his daughter, James Gordon was kidnapped by the Joker in an attempt to demoralize the second Batman.

James Gordon's date and year of death are unknown, although he is certain deceased. Rough guesses place his death some time in the 90s, as he seems to have survived the Joker's attack.

Barbara Gordon
The second child of James Gordon and Barbara Kean-Gordon, Barbara's childhood was relatively normal for a genius child of the head of the police in Gotham. Aware of what to look for, Alfred becomes aware quickly of Barbara's sense of justice and that she would be likely to follow Bat Man's example, so began training her for the job when she is 17.
Four years later, Barbara became a fixture in Gotham as Nightwing, working frequently with both Batman and Supergirl.

After another four years, Nightwing became the primary crimefighter in Gotham during Dick Grayson's retirement. This lasted over a decade, with her dealing with a new Robin and Supergirl's death during this time.
Although paralyzed in 1988, Barbara returned to crimefighting as Oracle, though operating behind the scenes. By the time Dick Grayson suffered similar injuries, Barbara had once again taken over as the primary crimefighter in Gotham - coordinating multiple groups and getting Dick out of the country without alerting the new Batman.

After Dick's retirement, Barbara provided support in helping Tim Drake become the Batman and the two discussed what Batman and Oracle would become over time. This led to the development of the Oracle program in 1996 and the eventual formalization of the Bat-Family and creation of Batman Inc.

Barbara Gordon was last documented as active in 2009, and if still active, is the eldest active member of the extended Bat-Family at 85 years old. (Dick Grayson is older, but has not remained active into the 21st century)

Talia al Ghul
The daughter of Ra's al Ghul, much of her early life has yet to be documented. She was rescued by Dick Grayson and began a relationship during the 70s and 80s, agreeing to maintain a mundane life. When he takes the mantle back up in 1986, this dissolved. Although a relationship is maintained, Talia kept his son a secret from Dick until he is 19 years old.
In addition, Talia met Jason Todd after his return, taking him to recover and helping him return to the world.

Talia remained devoted to her family, facing the League of Assassins when it targets her son, dying in the progress. However, she is revived a year later by her father. This is the last documented appearance of any of the three generations.

Jason Todd
Turning to crime as a child, Jason Todd first turned up attempting to steal tires off of the retired Dick Grayson's car. Seeing potential in the kid, Dick took Jason in and sets him up as Robin, attempting to pay Bruce's goodwill forward.
Jason frequently acted as a sidekick to Nightwing until the return of Batman. After only five years, Jason Todd was killed on duty by the Joker.

A year later, temporal issues altered the universe such that Jason had not died - essentially this meant that for Jason, time jumped forward a year. After breaking out of his coffin, Jason was taken to the hospital in a coma.
Jason woke to a world in the middle of mass confusion and left the hospital two years later, meeting Talia al Ghul. She brought him to a Lazarus Pit to recover before he begun traveling the world as Bruce had decades ago.

Jason Todd does not have a documented appearance until the formation of the Bat-Family in 2009, when he has the code name of Red Robin.

Stephanie Brown
The daughter of Cluemaster, Stephanie Brown was another child crimefighter of Gotham. For her part, however, Stephanie operated primarily alone and focused on stopping her father.

At some point, possibly during the Gotham City earthquake, Stephanie met Tim Drake and the two began dating. In 2004, Stephanie Brown became the oldest Robin, at the age of 25.

Her last documented appearance is during the formation of the Bat-Family, where she becomes the third Batgirl.

Cassandra Cain
Cassandra Cain has few documented experiences at this point. She first turned up as Batgirl in 1999, a decade after the name was retired by Barbara Gordon.
Her next appearance is during a League of Assassins civil war in which she is killed, before being revived by a Lazarus Pit.

Her last documented appearance is during the formation of the Bat-Family, taking the name Black Bat.

Damian al Ghul
The son of the second Bat, Damian al Ghul was raised by his mother and the League of Assassins. Although not guaranteed, there's a possibility that the 5-year-old Damian al Ghul met his father's Robin, Jason Todd.

Damian's childhood is currently undocumented, until he was brought to Wayne Manor to meet his father in 2006, at the age of 19. It was at this point that he joined the unofficial Bat-Family, taking over the role of Robin from Stephanie Brown in 2009.

Four years later, he was targeted by the League of Assassins and killed, although revived by his maternal grandfather. The effects on his mind are undocumented at this point, and if he has returned to the team, is the youngest member of the Bat-Family being in his mid-30s.
Last edited by Seren on Sat Dec 24, 2022 4:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
EternalPhoenix

Post by EternalPhoenix »

Huh. I like this.
The Phoenixverse (A 2e OC 'verse!)
The Archetype Blendarama!
You, Dear Reader, may comment on any build at any time. I will be happy regardless.
greycrusader

Post by greycrusader »

Seconded! Nice job on the timeline for your Gotham Guardians.

All my best!
Seren

Post by Seren »

Team Superman
Knowing the interaction and amount of time shenanigans that the Superman-group would be involved in, I decided to include them next. While Alfred was unexpectedly difficult, I expected these to be worse, and ultimately I ended up having to go to a much larger picture timeline than for the Bat-Family.
Honestly, the bigger issue was the number of adventures that either just don't work or that reference a dozen other people that have timeline consequences. So more things than I'd like are undocumented or guesses - basically an indication of how sure I am that this is a final statement on what the timeline is.
I will also have a section at the end (spoilered for those who aren't interested) with some side-effects of combining the timeline that I found interesting.

Re: Kryptonian Aging
My initial assumption was that I would have to have Kryptonians live longer than humans. So, I decided to use Superman and Supergirl as standard examples, and see how reasonable their ages were at different points in time. The thing is, once the infusion of Shadow energy that keeps Bruce reasonably aged is applied to Clark, neither needs to be longer lived.
Thus, unless I absolutely need to, Kryptonians age at the same rate as humans - however, they have shown to be the mortal race best able (thus far) to access suspended animation or similar effects.

Superman
Born on a dying planet, Kal-El was an infant when he was put in suspended animation in a rocket headed to Earth. With no delays, the rocket landed in Kansas, USA, 27 years later and baby Kal-El was adopted by Jonathan and Martha Kent, naming him Clark (as this is not on the timeline, Clark's birth certificate would state he was born 6/18/1912).
Clark began school two years later, appearing to be a normal if overly sheltered child. Once his parents died and he had completed his normal schooling, Clark fully decided to move to Metropolis for college.

While establishing a career at the Daily Planet, Clark began spending time protecting Metropolis as Superman. This period is marked by Superman's early adventures, in particular his efforts to maintain a full life as Clark Kent and protect the city as Superman. This is strained by the demands of the Justice Society, as he works with other heroes of the time. Eventually, Lois is brought into his confidence and their relationship becomes more solid.

In 1950, Superman's second arc begins with the wedding of Lois Lane and Clark Kent. Clark's life features less in a conflicting way to being Superman and more as major events - the draw is that a reader's aware this is Superman doing these things. There's still a conflict of Clark vs. Superman, but more the impact Superman has on Clark's life - by doing the right thing, is he being a bad husband? Although Superman is publicly wary of stating it, he's on Bat Man's side in having the JSA disband (ironically, making Bat Man the face of resisting unmasking).
In addition, time reveals an additional issue - the shadow energy that is slowing his aging makes the age gap more apparent. When they meet, there's a 4 year gap; this doubles by the time they marry and triples by the time he joins the Justice League. Even allowing for Clark to age well, they are both aware that it's likely to draw attention eventually.

Superman's third arc likely begins with the combination of the formation of the Justice League and the first appearance of Supergirl, revealing that Kal-El has surviving relatives. With Lois aging twice as fast as he does, Clark now has to deal his older cousin who is still a teenager. Beyond that, there's a major gap in records on Superman - quite frankly, a lot of stories but little that makes the cut as absolutely important to establishing a timeline.

There's not enough confirmed to confidently work out the next arc, but an educated guess says there's a divide somewhere in the 1967-1971 time range, starting a "Legacy of Superman" arc. This is a Superman who has renewed devotion to the JLA, and considering his future as the second Bat that he worked with is retiring. With Nightwing taking Batman's role, he's considering that Supergirl might take his. Based on that, there would be a shakeup when the JLA disbanded for a couple months.

Superman would rejoin with the understanding that once Supergirl was up for the task she would replace him. Thus, while the next arc technically begins with the reformation of the Justice League, it's major point is in the effects of Crisis on Infinite Earths. Now, Clark has to live up to the memory of Supergirl and her potential. Pushing himself more and more to do so, the arc ends in Death of Superman.

While Kal-El/Clark's story ends there, Superman does not, as the question of "Who is Superman?" begins the next year. Four people lay claim to the title, and with no body, the question is in the air. Even after the body is found, the question remains about who will take his place (and who the four really are). Where this ends is a bit up in the air - either with the return of Supergirl, or as they establish themselves as their own people.

Kal-El/Clark Kent, the original Superman, died in 1992. There are three reasonable ages to give him: he was born 106 years previously; he lived 80 years; and his body was equivalent to a 55-year-old's.

Supergirl
Kara Zor-El was a teenager when the planet Krypton exploded and had been placed in suspended animation to be a caretaker for her baby cousin Kal-El. However, while Kal-El made it successfully to Earth, Kara's ship was delayed on its journey by about 44 years. She spent two years on Earth before being adopted by the Danvers, in part to give her a human identity (Kara Danvers' birth certificate says 1946, although the birthday is unclear).

Supergirl's first arc is an establishing arc. Although she had time and opportunity to learn prior to becoming Supergirl, this is ultimately Kara the Student. Her abilities and capabilities are broadened by learning from her cousin (a small point of contention, as she was sent here to raise him). As Kara Danvers, she continues school during this time and manages to graduate about halfway through. In a difference from Superman's first arc, Kara is establishing herself as both an adult and superhero.
Part of this includes making her own connections, most notably with Nightwing in the mid-1960s.

Again, I find less confirmed about Supergirl early on, but unless she just disappears there's enough time that there is a second arc with the split sometime between 1970-1977. Unfortunately, I don't even have enough to establish the plots of this arc, just what ends it: Crisis on Infinite Earths, with her death. There is the plan for her to take over as one of the primary members of the Justice League, but Crisis cuts that plan short.

With the question of who will take Superman's role reaching it's peak, Supergirl reappears to begin a third arc. Why she's back is a major aspect and leads into Infinite Crisis - although this likely just raises more questions.

Strictly speaking, her reappearance is the last documented activity of Kara Zor-El. This would mean that her next major change should come between 2009 and 2019 (which overlaps with the timing of my first research). Due to time passing, if she is to still be active, there should be a second arc since her return.
In 2004, Kara Zor-El was 39 years old (and born 129 years prior). This would make her 58 years old in 2023 (almost 30 years younger than her old partner).

Lois Lane
As with other secondary characters, many details are missing from Lois Lane's history. She was very assertive, even when she was young, applying to the Daily Planet at only 15 (and in 1923). She continued working there, meeting her future husband, Clark Kent, sometime in the 1930s.

As a friend to Superman and Clark, Lois would learn that they were the same person (likely in the 1940s) and the two would marry in 1950. After this are so many stories and such little ties to timing that the only other thing verified is her husband's death in 1992.

Lois Lane's date and year of death are unknown, although she is certainly deceased. Were she still alive, Lois would be 115 - although she likely lasted a while, this seems unlikely.
There's not enough information for a strong educated guess, although she would have been 84 when Clark died. A fair guess is in the 1992-1994 range: '92 puts her dying just before Clark fights Doomsday; '94 gives her resolution to his missing corpse.

Timeline Notes
- First off, despite the 17-year journey across space, being 10 years older than her cousin, and having an additional two decades of time out of existence, Supergirl is still younger than Alfred.
- Jim Gordon shares an odd amount of overlap of major years with the Kent-Lane family: He was 9 when Lois was born, and when Lois was 9, becomes a Marine. That's also the year that Clark began kindergarten. Then, he and Lois join the career they are best known for in the same year as each other.
- Clark Kent has spent more time in a classroom than Bruce Wayne.
- Thanks to suspended animation, Lois Lane is four years older than Clark Kent; when they marry, she's 42, he's 38 (but seems 34). Although this apparent gap grows every year, at the time Dick retires with Talia, the Grayson-al Ghul age gap is larger. Lois-Kent overtakes them a year later.
- If Alfred dies in 1966, Kara's graduation is the mid-point between the death of Bat Man.

Team-ups:
Bat Man and Superman, including as part of the JSA
Batman and Superman, including as part of the first JLA
Nightwing and Supergirl
The Batman and Supergirl as part of the current JLA