Jsa

General discussions about role-playing games. Share stories, ask for advice, talk about the industry, etc.
act

Jsa

Post by act »

How can I create an original version of the justice society of America in a game/fanfic world that uses the 1940s material as a seed?
Ares
Site Admin

Re: Jsa

Post by Ares »

1) Find a reliable source of comics about the characters from that era, most likely in collections or digital forms.

2) Read them until you're familiar with the source material, enough to really know the characters, the types of stories of that era, etc.

3) Use those stories as inspiration for your own work. There isn't really any advice that can be given here, the inspiration has to come from within your own head .

4) Once you have that inspiration, sit down in front of your writing tool of choice, and start writing. Write regularly. The more you do, the better you'll get at it, the more writing will be a routine.

5) Get someone you know to read them to at least get a different pair of eyes on it before you share it with everyone. Take any critiques they give seriously, but make only the changes you feel are warranted.

6) Find a place to share the story, and share it. Take all of the feedback to heart, but be sure to separate legitimate constructive criticism from people who are just using the internet to be casually cruel to someone.

7) Learn from the experience, start writing next story.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
act

Post by act »

Ares wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 5:06 pm 1) Find a reliable source of comics about the characters from that era, most likely in collections or digital forms.

2) Read them until you're familiar with the source material, enough to really know the characters, the types of stories of that era, etc.

3) Use those stories as inspiration for your own work. There isn't really any advice that can be given here, the inspiration has to come from within your own head .

4) Once you have that inspiration, sit down in front of your writing tool of choice, and start writing. Write regularly. The more you do, the better you'll get at it, the more writing will be a routine.

5) Get someone you know to read them to at least get a different pair of eyes on it before you share it with everyone. Take any critiques they give seriously, but make only the changes you feel are warranted.

6) Find a place to share the story, and share it. Take all of the feedback to heart, but be sure to separate legitimate constructive criticism from people who are just using the internet to be casually cruel to someone.

7) Learn from the experience, start writing next story.
Thanks for the advice,I should use dc,marvel,and public domain heroes,and my own original/retro heroes
Ken

Post by Ken »

act wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 5:23 pm Thanks for the advice,I should use dc,marvel,and public domain heroes,and my own original/retro heroes
That largely depends on what you are trying to accomplish. You said "game / fanfic" which are two different things. In fanfiction, like writing any story, you control the situation, the characterization, the outcomes. In a game, one doesn't have that much control. You set-up the setting and the initial situation, and assuming you're game mastering, the characterization of the NPCs. The rest is in hands of the players.

Also, who is your intended audience?

If you use known characters, and your target audience knows the characters, you run the risk of hearing about it if you deviate from what is known.

If you use your own, you can't get them wrong, but it will take the audience time to get to know them.

If you use not particularly well-known public domain heroes, it's much like inventing your own.
My Amazing Woman: a super-hero romantic comedy podcast.

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.
act

Post by act »

Ken wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 9:28 pm
act wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 5:23 pm Thanks for the advice,I should use dc,marvel,and public domain heroes,and my own original/retro heroes
That largely depends on what you are trying to accomplish. You said "game / fanfic" which are two different things. In fanfiction, like writing any story, you control the situation, the characterization, the outcomes. In a game, one doesn't have that much control. You set-up the setting and the initial situation, and assuming you're game mastering, the characterization of the NPCs. The rest is in hands of the players.

Also, who is your intended audience?

If you use known characters, and your target audience knows the characters, you run the risk of hearing about it if you deviate from what is known.

If you use your own, you can't get them wrong, but it will take the audience time to get to know them.

If you use not particularly well-known public domain heroes, it's much like inventing your own.
Thanks for the advice.,i should use public domain heroes!