[IC] [3E] The Neophyte Freedom City Experience - A Cold Day in Midtown

For all of your Play-By-Post games.
FuzzyBoots

Re: [IC] [3E] The Neophyte Freedom City Experience - A Cold Day in Midtown

Post by FuzzyBoots »

GM

Johnny Frostbite seems to be considering your words carefully, before making a slight nod of his head.
"Yeah, we bottled them away for long enough to justify our pay, so we'll just go—" he says before being cut off by the screech of his teammate.
"No way, Pa—" her diatribe is briefly stopped by one snowy hand reaching out and covering her mouth.

"Ice Princess, I think this is the best deal we're going to get, and I don't want a fight unless it's one I 100% know we can win," giving her an icy glare. She glares back before a contrite look washes over her face, then replaced by defiance once more. She lifts one hand, a blade of ice neatly shaving the hand of snow off her face.

"Fine," she says, "But I'm not leaving until they know that they're outclassed." She puts her left hand on her hip, and sweeps her right hand angrily out, pointing at the heroes assembled. "We'll settle this old school, as my pops used to say before he got lame. Dance-off. Ice dancing." She crosses her arms over her chest and the silence after her words stretches for a few seconds before Johnny Frostbite, his face reverting to a fleshy look long enough for a flush to wash over his cheeks before he rolls his eyes to the sky and lets out a long-suffering sigh, rubbing at his brow.

"Ok," he says, the words almost dragged out of his throat, "Fine." He looks at Protector with almost a pleading look to his eyes. "Ice dancing. You win, we leave without a fight. You lose..." he grapples with a demand to make, since it's clear he doesn't want a fight.
"You lose and I post the video on TikTok and you agree to leave here while we finish up the job proper," Ice Princess pipes up.
"And I promise to keep the agents non-lethally contained. We'll leave in another few minutes, at which point I don't think anyone could argue we didn't do our job," Johnny Frostbite says. "Do we have a deal?"
OOC wrote:This is an option listed in the book for avoiding combat, unlocked with a good Persuasion or Deception roll. It involves a set of opposed rolls of Acrobatics or another relevant skill against her Acrobatics, with five successes either way winning it. Mildly unfortunately, the closest I see on character sheets of relevant skills is Snowdrift's Acrobatics, although others can use Aid actions if they can think of a good way to use a skill. And, of course, creative uses of powers could make sense as well.
FuzzyBoots

Post by FuzzyBoots »

GM

After glancing at the other two, Snowdrift steps forward.
"I can't say I've ever ice-danced, but I think I can match you for grace and style," he says, jumping forward with a pirouette that Mirror Maiden, at the least, knew was probably aided a bit by his Flight. Inside your heads, you hear him say, It didn't look like you were planning to step forward, plus I can only imagine what Protector would look like dancing in that armor... do you at least know how to do the Robot?

"Uh-huh," says Ice Princess, not sounding at all convinced, "Well, at least you're dressed for the weather. Cold never bothered you anyway either?"

Mirror Maiden adds, from the distance, "And I'll provide special effects, so long as you care to believe in them," producing an image of Lady Gaga in spike dress lip-syncing on a snow bank. And maybe I can manage to set things up for a bit more of an edge if it looks like we need it.
OOC wrote:Assuming you guys don't have an issue with focusing on Aid checks.
NecroDrake

Post by NecroDrake »

V

HP: 3

V puts down their fists and cocks their head to the side.

"You... you want us to dance? I guess I could try."

Better than violence at least. Though I'd prefer it that it didn't pop up on social media.

V turns to Protector, "I've never actually done that before, so I think I'll follow your lead if thats alright?"
OOC wrote: I actually have the Teamwork talent. It give me a +5 to team checks, aid action, and team attacks. Not so sure how much that would help though, as its just a +2 normally on a success or a +5 on three degrees or more of success.

Aid check just in case, though I'm gonna go over some possibilities in the discord real quick:

Team/Aid Check: 1d20+5 = 16
Corrigon

Post by Corrigon »

Protector
HP 1

He wants us to do a dance off. I'd almost prefer continuing the fight he is mortified at the idea, last time I danced was at Sheila's wedding. Helen and the girls won't let me forget it.

"I'm presuming somebody has a phone or something to record this," he asks, a slightly reluctant tone in his voice.
NecroDrake wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 9:17 am V turns to Protector, "I've never actually done that before, so I think I'll follow your lead if thats alright?"
"You think I'm a dancer?" Miles' response is incredulous as he turns to look at V, gesturing at the armour, "what about this makes it look like I'm a superb dancer?"

FuzzyBoots wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 1:49 am It didn't look like you were planning to step forward, plus I can only imagine what Protector would look like dancing in that armor... do you at least know how to do the Robot?
"Let me see..." Protector starts to try and act as a backup dancer without looking like a Dad dancer.
Team aid: 1d20+2 3
As he promptly slips on the ice and falls on his butt.
FuzzyBoots

Post by FuzzyBoots »

GM

As Snowdrift quickly limbers up, Mirror Maiden drifts up and quickly whispers some words of advice and support in his ear. With a sharp nod, Snowdrift steps out to where Ice Princess is skating, and begins moving gracefully through various flips and twists. When Protector steps forward, and begins his "dad dance", it throws him off of his game a bit, although when V steps forward, doing a much more graceful variant of the same moves, seemingly building a progression on it, his performance improves. Sadly, it still pales a bit to Ice Princess's graceful flips and pirouettes to Mirror Maiden's psychic music, accentuated by the ice sculptures that bloom around her while performing, complimenting both movement and music.
OOC wrote:V's check (presumably, trying to mimic Protector's moves) against DC 10 is two degrees of success, which would offer a +2. Mirror Maiden adds on with her Psychology check, Aid (Psychology): 1D20+8 = [8]+8 = 16 is good for another two successes, bringing the bonus up to +5. However, Protector's check manages two degrees of failure, which is noted as a -2 although, given circumstance bonuses operate on a continuum of -5, -2, 0, +2, +5, I think that actually just drops it to +2. That gives Snowdrift's roll a result of Acrobatics: 1D20+8 = [9]+8+2 = 19 against Ice Princess's Acrobatics: 1D20+9 = [16]+9 = 25, which means she's up by 2 degrees. As noted, at 5 either way, victory is declared.
NecroDrake

Post by NecroDrake »

V

Seeing Protector fall down, V trys to fluidly help them up and back into the dance again.

"Come on, we can do this! Your image is on the line."

If Protector says anything about V's image also being on the line: V shrugs mid dance, "Not much I can do about the conspiracy theories and random hate I receive already. Might be funny to see what the public thinks about the dancing alien."
OOC wrote:
Repeat/Reminder:
V is naturally strong, especially when using density increase: STR 10, so he should be able to help up Protector no problem unless he resists. (Switching to Density Increase)

Aid Dance:

Team/Aid Check: 1d20+5 = 12
Corrigon

Post by Corrigon »

Protector
HP 1
Condition

"Well, that was embarrassing," he says as V helps him to his feet
NecroDrake wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 9:28 am "Come on, we can do this! Your image is on the line."
"I have an image?" Miles's response sounds incredulous, the idea of having to deal with a press image still not something that has properly sunken in, "what about you?"
NecroDrake wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 9:28 am If Protector says anything about V's image also being on the line: V shrugs mid dance, "Not much I can do about the conspiracy theories and random hate I receive already. Might be funny to see what the public thinks about the dancing alien."
"Maybe it can help, though most people won't have realised you are an alien until you said that." I certainly hadn't, but then everything has been happening so fast.

With Mirror Maiden providing backing in a different way, a new idea dawns on Miles.

I'm so unnerved by dancing, I forgot what my suit can do

The lights on the Protector suit switch on, illuminating Snowdrift in a spotlight
Technology assist: 1d20+19 22
I still can't roll worth a damn, but at least my bonus makes it useful
FuzzyBoots

Post by FuzzyBoots »

GM

With a huff of frustration, Snowdrift moves back onto the ice, moving in a more graceful series of flips and twirls, subtly aided by Mind Mistress occasionally steadying a landing with her telekinesis causing visual distortions where she adjusts him. Ably spotlighted by Protector, drawing upon long-ago perused books on stage equipment he'd read in college and its details on how to use a spotlight properly, and aided by V's enthusiastic, and gradually improving, dance moves, it's enough to throw Ice Princess off as she falters in her movements. The ire on her face grows as she spins to Johnny Frostbite and speaks, her words bitten off.
"He's got backup. And what have I got? A deadbeat teammate? Are you going to help your princess or not?" she chews out as she finishes her run. Johnny shrugs sheepishly and rolls his shoulders.

"Fair is fair. I just didn't want to steal your spotlight, honey," he says in a conciliatory tone.
OOC wrote:Using Technology for what amounts to turning on your light seems a bit sparse, so I'm going to treat Protector's spotlighting as an Expertise (Dance) using your Eidetic Memory for employing proper technique for spotlighting for maximum effect. That gives Protector one success and V another. Fortunately, Mirror Maiden's Move Object (Aid): 21 adds another 3.

Five successes on the Aid check results in a +5 on Snowdrift's check.

Acrobatics check: 12 against Acrobatics check: 1D20+8+5 = [13]+8+5 = 26 ticks things up to 2 successes in favor of the heroes out of the total 5 needed.

Johnny Frostbite is getting pulled in to aid her.
NecroDrake

Post by NecroDrake »

V

OOC wrote:Aid Dance:

Team/Aid Check: 1d20+5 = 20

Looks like V is in fact slowly learning.
V sighs while finding a beat and sticking with it. To Protector they say, "Well, I'm not a traditional 'alien from space' or anything like that. I'm just a little tired people think I'm going to probe them or something."

Not really understanding, but seemingly finding a cue, V pirouettes at a good moment and continues with the groove again, "Don't know about you, but this is starting to be kinda fun."
Corrigon

Post by Corrigon »

Protector
HP 1
NecroDrake wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 6:13 am V sighs while finding a beat and sticking with it. To Protector they say, "Well, I'm not a traditional 'alien from space' or anything like that. I'm just a little tired people think I'm going to probe them or something."
"Might I suggest not doing any weird hand gestures lest anybody get the wrong idea," Protector replies almost earnestly. He maintains the spotlight on Snowdrift and tries to make it more dramatic
expertise dance: 1d20+19 28 You didn't indicate what to roll as a bonus so used the same again.
FuzzyBoots

Post by FuzzyBoots »

GM

Snowdrift and Ice Princess, hero and villain, square off again, this time both dancing at the same time. V's enthusiastic, and oddly amusing dancing, and Protector's spotlighting brings Snowdrift's performance to a level higher than his average... but which is unfortunately somewhat overshadowed by Ice Princess's own athletic endeavors, bouncing and twirling, assisted by Johnny Frostbite stretching icy limbs to provide springboard platforms for her leaps. One of the final leaps, she passes so close to Snowdrift that he's forced to shy away, hitting a sudden rough patch of ice, his attempts to right himself leading to a collision with a ice sculpture that might not have been there before. He stands back up, noticeably limping as he favors one ankle.

"Oops," Ice Princess says with a distinct lack of sincerity, "Seems someone is getting clumsy now."
OOC wrote:Snowdrift rolls Acrobatics: 1D20+8 = [13]+5 = 26. Johnny Frostbite rolls a 26 on his Athletics check to Aid, and Ice Princess rolls I total of 32. That brings us to four successes for Ice Princess and two for Snowdrift. Ice Princess's dirty trick also results in Snowdrift having to make a DC 22 Dodge check. Dodge check: 1D20+10 = [8]+10 = 18 nets him a -2 on his next check.

One more success by Ice Princess, or three for Snowdrift, will tip the competition.
Corrigon

Post by Corrigon »

Protector
HP 1
Condition Normal

Cheeky little s*!t He wasn't inclined to be rude and a cheat, but this Princess was certainly highlighting behaviour that always got his goat with his daughters' classmates. He didn't want to allow that entitled bratty behaviour to be successful.

"You got this Snowdrift. Don't let her rattle you." he encourages his ally, whilst keeping the light on him.
Team Aid: 1d20+9 19
However, if she tries to cheat again, Protector will turn the light on her, hopefully distracting her long enough to not succeed.

"Sorry, but you stepped into the spotlight, which is not always the most comfortable place to be."
NecroDrake

Post by NecroDrake »

V

OOC wrote:Aid Dance:

Team/Aid Check: 1d20+5 = 14
V didn't know that playing dirty was allowed exactly and gets a little caught up in that thought.

They use their telepathic ability to speak into Princess' mind, "Thought you wanted to do this legit? You have so much talent it begs the question why you would even bother cheating your competition at all? I guess all that matters if you feel good about yourself at the end of the day, but does it really feel all that great knowing that you felt your ability lacking in this instance? Otherwise you wouldn't have had to rely on anything else."
OOC wrote:Communication power to try and throw her off her game a bit. Not much else I can do.
FuzzyBoots

Post by FuzzyBoots »

GM

"The spotlight?" Ice Princess shouts, "only highlights the truth of superiority,"
Stung by V's words, Ice Princess launches herself into a dazzling series of acrobatics, aided by Johnny Frostbite's aiding arms. In normal circumstances, it would have been a dazzling display. Against Snowdrift's woozy, rather lackluster, performance, the team is left with only one conclusion, that they've been completely served, with the match ending with Snowdrift wiping out into a snowdrift, apparently without any help.
With a triumphant stab of the finger, Ice Princess uploads raw footage of the bout to TikTok.

There's a moment of stillness before the air gets incredibly colder, almost arctic.
"So," drawls Ice Princess, "I think we've demonstrated just who is superior. So, losers, are you going to slink off in your proven defeat?" Behind her, Johnny Frostbite flexes his fists, cracks of ice sounding like amplified cracking knuckles. He then places his hand on Ice Princess's shoulder, and an aura of artic air erupts between them, limning them in frost.
OOC wrote:That's three successes, and Mirror Maiden fails to decrease it. Unfortunately, Snowdrift rolls Acrobatics (with Aid): 1D20+8-2+5 = [1]+8-2+5 = 12. Oof. And Athletics (Aid); Acrobatics: 26; 32 is the result, with an overwhelming success for Ice Princess, which leads to her breaking through to a higher degree of power.

It's up to you guys as to how to react.
Last edited by FuzzyBoots on Tue Dec 27, 2022 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NecroDrake

Post by NecroDrake »

V

HP: 4

V Shrugs, "Good. You actually showed off your talent properly. I had a lot of fun and as long as you keep your end I don't think we'll have much trouble here.'

They throw up their hands in a sign of surrender, "You properly whooped our collective butts and I don't think there is anything denying that."

Turning to Protector, "You have anything you want to add to that? I think we were schooled on a playing field that we just weren't built for..."