The Phoenixverse (A 2e OC 'verse; Red Ronin! Netsuko Nishimura! Rinako Saeki! Fujiko Yoshihara! Masaru Kido!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
EternalPhoenix

Master Toughness List

Post by EternalPhoenix »

Master Toughness List (as of Seawings Adventurer Guild)

Note: I'm using only the highest possible value, barring having multiple transformations of equal PL. Therefore this list is disregarding being flatfooted or too stunned to maintain a force field.

Toughness 20
Astra
Cory (Trueblue)
Barry Holden

Toughness 18
Magi

Toughness 17
Morphin (Man of Steel)

Toughness 15
Cory (normally)
Windstorm
Raheed, The Dragon King
Lucy Hasegawa
Samorn
Dallas Austin

Toughness 14
Myrcelle
Stormy
Carla Perkins
Sonya Harmon
Portia Rousseau
Coyote

Toughness 12
Blackrose
Flare
Morphin (Water Puppy & Wings of Justice)
Miss Fist
Edwin Christian
Laki Sigrah
Emiko Fujiwara
Madeline Blackwood
Almira Quincy (Winged Hellfire & Frozen Hellrime)
Octavia Fiammetta
Phylia
Eri Akatsuki (highest armor)

Toughness 10
Tigress
Morphin (Flippy Kid)
Clon
Stoker
Opera
Android
Harmony Perez
Elinah Monroe
Sofia Harmon
Yasmine Sakaguchi
The Pacific Stranger (Oliver LaRouche)
Oliana Kameāloha
Raymi Humala Sumire
Yumiko Amano
Toryū Hirayama

Toughness 9

Toughness 8
Electric Lady
Hummingbird
Brutus
Wingz
Rambo
Penny Nihara
Immortia (Tia Hammond)
Rebecca Heskett
Tobias
Kaikoa
Nathaniel Truman
Skye Walker
Almira Quincy (Speedy Hellshock)
Fiona McTavish
Claire Gainsborough
Neith
Zero Angel (Hinako Fujimori)
Khulan
Eri Akatsuki (lowest armor)
Yukinari Yuhara
Ting Heskett

Toughness 7
Radical Dreamer
Priestess
Cavatina
Malocchio
Tenshi
Kaida
Ferrous
Willa Hawke
Ricardo Alvarez
Tessa Mcleod
Willie Teriong
Lucien Rousseau
Raven

Toughness 6
Redpin
Sailor Scout
Frostee
Illusia
Eiko Takanouchi
Sione Sigrah
Palila Nui
Elena Laskaris
Judo Demon (Atsuko Matsuda)
Lana Shimizu
Kazeka Kurogane
Jing Zhang

Toughness 5
Flutter
Pern
Octagirl
Sabre
James Scott
Kazuma Nihara
Herman Heskett

Toughness 4
Pathfinder
Steeltoe
Tressa
Phobia
Karone
Rumiko Nihara
Cinnamon (Emma Adams)
Lucia Sakaguchi
Charlie Teriong
Hana Choi

Impervious 15
Astra
Cory (Trueblue)
Barry Holden

Impervious 14

Impervious 13

Impervious 12
Windstorm
Magi
Morphin (Man of Steel)

Impervious 10
Cory (normally)
Miss Fist
Edwin Christian
Raheed, The Dragon King
Samorn
Raymi Humala Sumire
Madeline Blackwood
Eri Akatsuki (highest armor)

Impervious 9

Impervious 8
Opera (limited to damage from Insubstantial attackers)
Brutus (limited to melee damage)
Android
Carla Perkins
Sofia Harmon
Portia Rousseau
Emiko Fujiwara
Octavia Fiammetta
Phylia

Impervious 6
Sailor Scout (limited to magic damage)
Frostee
Malocchio
Tenshi
Ferrous
Immortia (Tia Hammond)
Rambo
Nathaniel Truman
Fiona McTavish
Dallas Austin
Khulan
Lucien Rousseau

Impervious 5
Oliana Kameāloha
Last edited by EternalPhoenix on Sun Apr 09, 2023 9:30 pm, edited 9 times in total.
The Phoenixverse (A 2e OC 'verse!)
The Archetype Blendarama!
You, Dear Reader, may comment on any build at any time. I will be happy regardless.
EternalPhoenix

Re: Arriba (Jose Vega)

Post by EternalPhoenix »

Jabroniville wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 7:33 am
I'm eclectic, Jab. I have many, many interests. And I cram those interests all into mostly one universe. Okay there's actually several (shout out to Tri-World, Celtia, the Frontier Patrol universe, and the Team CBH-verse. none of which y'all know anything about but it amuses me to mention here) but you get it. I take inspiration from lots and lots of places. If you'd read more than an entry or two every now and again, you'd see that.
I get this response every time I check in here, and while yeah, I COULD read more, keep in mind I haven't had the time, as the bios are VERY large and the thread got quite big before I even had time to take a look.
Ehhhh. It's not me being peeved you can't read more. Everyone has limited time in one way or another. I get that and it's totally fine. What put a bee in my bonnet, so to speak, was assuming everything in her is anime or Japanese video game inspired. Which...isn't exactly what you initially said, dammit. Look, brains are stupid and I'm sorry for being a bit of a dick.
Jabroniville wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 7:33 am
EternalPhoenix wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 4:28 pm Arriba (Jose Vega)
And here's your speedster- I do like the attempts at "Early Diversity" in the Silver Age-verse, doing what Marvel & DC couldn't do at the time. I'm noticing PL 14-16 is SUPER common with these guys, making nearly everyone the equivalent of DCA Superman. An interesting take, and man I wouldn't want to be the supervillain messing with these guys. Who is bad enough to take on a half-dozen PL 14+ people? You mention a couple others lacked the power to take on big guns, so I'm guessing some of the latter ones are less mighty.

I kinda like his troubles being taken seriously. Kind of like a literal Super Friends "Token Minority", and probably for the same reasons (those guys were kinda funny but always generically friendly and non-threatening). Cool to see he largely made good. And I do wonder about that story that crushed his mind- was that explained in an earlier bio, or is it still a secret? And is Mona in your builds somewhere?

And I see you gave him like every speedster trick in the book! I actually hate statting Speedsters because of all the crazy stuff they can do, as it's a LOT of typing and cut & paste.
Yeah, Nega was PL 12 back then. He's a 14 now. So the heavy hitters were Starman & Starwoman (16) and Megagirl and Arriba (15). Gunsmith, as you can see, was an 11. Minor spoilers for something I'mma post real soon now, but Alsea is also a 12 and Countess is just a 10. So 4 heavy hitters, 4 in the second tier but with more flexible and versatile abilities than what strength, speed, and basic energy control can provide. With that said. Starwoman wasn't always there, Megagirl decided does not have a fight first or even second mentality and is y'know under five feet tall and not even 100 pounds soaking wet, and Arriba was content to let the others take the lead on things until he needed to step up. So in practice it was only Starman who looked like a huge unstoppable Superman class titan. So naturally, supervillains thought "if I can get around Starman or keep him busy, I can do this". They were, uh, incorrect.

The story of the Champions' final mission (where a lot happened, as I've vaguely and not so vaguely alluded to in these entries) I haven't and am not going to tell. I want it to be one of those "the story you tell yourself is better than any I could possibly tell you" things. And no, I haven't gotten to Mona Simms, alias Pacer yet. The version Arriba got his powers from, man...she basically can't be represented with M&M stats anyway. She's basically if the Speed Force (yes, all of it) decided to get born as one human person. Literally Speed Incarnate. Like I said. Faster than sound. Faster than light. Faster than time. Faster than anything. Speed X. Quickness X. Defense X. Reflex X. Attack Bonus X. Damage Rank X. But Toughness, notably, is not X. The version of her from 2019, though? She's 14 years old and not really that fast yet. Or rather, she doesn't know she can be, which amounts to the same thing. The Simms Family is on the list. I'll get to them eventually. Her twin brother Mickey (alias Stalwart), who is Strength Incarnate. Her Aunt Francine (alias Miss Invincible), who is Stamina Incarnate. And her Uncle Frank (alias Aerialist), who is Mind Incarnate.

Hey, if somebody's gonna set the speedster standard, he should have every trick in the book. :mrgreen: My shortcut is HeroLab. Duplicating characters and then changing the bits that are different. If they have basically the same powers as speedsters tend to, anyway. Seriously, HL saves me so much building time, you have no idea.
You, Dear Reader, may comment on any build at any time. I will be happy regardless.
EternalPhoenix

Alsea

Post by EternalPhoenix »

Alsea

Power Level: 12; Power Points Spent: 255/255

STR: +12 (35), DEX: +1 (12), CON: +12 (34), INT: +0 (10), WIS: +7 (24), CHA: +0 (10)

Tough: +12, Fort: +12, Ref: +12, Will: +12

Skills: Concentration 8 (+15), Diplomacy 5 (+5), Gather Information 10 (+10), Knowledge (earth sciences) 5 (+5), Knowledge (life sciences) 5 (+5), Language 1 (+1), Notice 8 (+15), Search 10 (+10), Sense Motive 8 (+15)

Feats: Accurate Attack, Attack Focus (melee) 3, Defensive Attack, Dodge Focus 3, Improved Grab, Improved Pin, Interpose, Luck 4, Power Attack, Takedown Attack, Uncanny Dodge (Auditory)

Powers:
Mutant Plant Physiology (Container, Passive 15)
. . Algaic Seaweed Being (Insubstantial 1) (Fluid; Permanent)
. . Inhuman Might (Super-Strength 6) (+30 STR carry capacity, heavy load: 102.4 tons; +6 STR to some checks)
. . Photosynthesis (Immunity 3) (aging, disease, starvation & thirst)
. . Photosynthetic Recovery (Regeneration 32) (ability damage 8 (recover 1 / round without rest), recovery rate (bruised) 3 (recover 1 / round without rest), recovery rate (disabled) 8 (recover 1 / round without rest), recovery rate (injured) 6 (recover 1 / round without rest), recovery rate (staggered) 6 (recover 1 / round without rest), resurrection 1 (1 week); Source (Sunlight))
. . Stretchable Limbs (Elongation 6) (Elongation: 250 ft., range incr 60 ft., +6 Escape & Grapple)
. . Telepathic Link (Communication 12) (sense type: mental; Omni-Directional Area)
. . Telepathic Senses (Super-Senses 9) (accurate (type): Mental, acute (type): Mental, radius (type): Mental, ranged: Mental)

Telepathy & Telekinesis (Array 12) (default power: mind reading)
. . Telekinetic Armor (Impervious Toughness 12) (Alternate; Duration (continuous); Duration (sustained))
. . Telekinetic Flight (Flight 6) (Alternate; Speed: 500 mph, 4400 ft./rnd)
. . Clairsentience (ESP 6) (Array; affects: 3 types, inc. visual - visual, auditory, & mental)
. . Hallucinations (Illusion 6) (Array; affects: all sense types, DC 16; Selective Attack; Phantasms)
. . Mind Reading 12 (Default; DC 22; Duration (sustained))
. . Mind Stun (Stun 6) (Array; DC 16; Alternate Save (Will), Range 2 (perception))
. . Mind Thrust (Damage 6) (Array; DC 21; Alternate Save (Will), Range 2 (perception))
. . Telekinesis (Move Object 8) (Array; Strength: 40, Carry: 2.1k / 4.3k / 3.2 tons / 6.4 tons; Range (perception))

Attack Bonus: +9 (Ranged: +9, Melee: +12, Grapple: +24/+36)

Attacks: Mind Reading 12 (DC Will 22), Mind Stun (Stun 6) (DC Staged/Will 16), Mind Thrust (Damage 6) (DC Staged/Will 21), Unarmed Attack, +12 (DC 27)

Defense: +12 (Flat-footed: +5), Knockback: -6

Initiative: +1

Languages: English Native, Spanish

Totals: Abilities 65 + Skills 15 (60 ranks) + Feats 18 + Powers 105 + Combat 36 + Saves 16 + Drawbacks 0 = 255

Age (as of Jan 2019): Unknown, deceased in 1985
Height: Variable within 4 to 8 feet
Weight: Variable within 50 to 500 lbs
Ethnicity: Algae-Seaweed Creature
Hair: None
Eyes: None, technically. Not blind, just no animal style eyes.
Base of Operations: San Diego, California

Background: The first time anyone had ever heard from or seen Alsea was when he crawled out of the sea to and stopped that boat hijacking. Also known as his debut in 1967. This was actually kind of terrifying, as he was not at any point a human being. He was basically a plant monster, made of algae and seaweed. So when he started stretching his “limbs”, tossing bad guys around, and assaulting their minds he was like something out of a horror movie. Everyone reacted accordingly, which brought a visit from Megagirl. San Francisco and San Diego aren’t that far for a hypersonic flier. They didn’t fight. There was no reason to. Alsea was fully sentient, and not evil at all. As evidenced by how he didn’t actually kill anyone during his starting heroics before she showed up. And, as it turned out, he was most likely the first hero to be inspired by the tiny paragon from San Fran. So San Diego received its first great defender. He bore the name she gave him with pride until the end of his days.

. . His connection with Megagirl was what got him drawn into the Champions of Justice the following year. He basically brought some much needed versatility to the team. He was in the second tier of power among them, but telepathy and telekinesis were powers most of them couldn’t access. Especially telepathy. And that’s kind of…it, really. There was his lifelong quest to find out his origins, but they were never traced past “mutagenic chemicals in the ocean” in his lifetime. And after it, well, everyone who cared was either gone, unable to care, or didn’t see the point anymore. His reputation was that of Champions supporting cast, secondary to most of them. He and Countess faded in the background all the time, letting the others hog the spotlight. In Alsea’s case this wasn’t intentional, exactly? He was basically a year old when the Champions started. He had no idea how to promote himself. He just helped people and went away afterward. The whole speeches, public appearances, and press conferences aspect of heroics wasn’t something he ever showed any interest in. So His reputation was kind of his own fault, in a way. Surprisingly, the one inhuman Champion was the one that the least is known about. It’s not clear where he was and what he was doing when he wasn’t doing hero work. He didn’t appear to have a secret identity. It’s a giant question mark.

. . Which brings us to 1985, and the Champions’ mission to space. The details are unclear and on Earth the final fates of the members who did not return (Megagirl, Nega, Alsea himself, and Countess) are unknown. In space, however, they are. Alsea is accorded one of the universe’s greatest heroes. His sacrifice is respected by all upstanding individuals outside of Kuros’s former territory. And even by many inside it. His death was a major contributing factor to the breakup of the Champions in the wake of that mission, but far from the only one. Megagirl and Nega had their own reasons to staying in space, and Countess’s time was (ironically enough) up. So she too was gone. And that was the story of Alsea…until last year aka 2018, when a similar plant being crawled up out of the ocean. Calling himself Chloro, he has made it clear that he is the successor to the original plant monster hero. Gunsmith did do one thing for his old friend. He placed his remains in the ocean off San Diego, and as always he came back. Eventually. Sort of. Chloro knows everything that happened prior to mission departure, but these are things that happened to someone else. Chloro is his own being. What happened to cause this is anyone’s guess. Like all of the known inheritors of the Champions, the third Starman has been seen visiting him in San Diego.

Powers & Tactics: Alsea was a mutated combination of algae and seaweed, which as it turns out are pretty closely related actually. So that makes more sense than most would expect. A mutated plant monster with the psionic powers of telepathy and telekinesis. As such, the full catalogue of his powers is, uh, not short.

. . As a being of algae and seaweed, he wasn’t ever exactly a solid object, and in fact bore more resemblance to a liquid most of the time. Despite this, he was very strong, with the ability to shatter steel with a casual “punch” (he didn’t exactly have hands, see) and a peak lifting capacity measured in the hundreds of tons. Compared with Megagirl and especially Starman it wasn’t much, but it was still quite useful on many occasions when those two had their hands full. His durability was of a similar quality, though he couldn’t ignore attacks without the use of his telekinesis. He didn’t appear to age, diseases had no effect on him, and he basically didn’t need to eat or drink. Only needed sunlight under normal circumstances. Photosynthesis. Speaking of, under sunlight (or any strong light, actually, though light from a Sol type star was best) he healed startlingly rapidly from injury. There’s even tales of his resurrecting entirely after being killed, which seems impossible. Yet there he was, a week after being apparently killed. So draw your own conclusions. As his usual shape was more or less voluntary compression of all of himself, he could stretch his “limbs” about 250 feet.

. . Alsea’s telepathy and telekinesis worked in several ways. He was perhaps best known for augmenting his natural durability with a telekinetic force field and flying. However, he could also redirect that psionic energy into seeing locations up to 20 miles away, telepathic illusions, reading minds, stunning, stabbing enemies in the brain, or vanilla telekinesis with a much lower weight limit (single digit tons) that his physical abilities. This is without mentioning his telepathic communication (with anyone up to 20 million miles away!) and general mental awareness, which meant that he did not need light or sound to detect people. These may seem somewhat standard today, but at the time telepathy and telekinesis together and at his power level was virtually unheard of. Even today it’s rare to find his strength outside of Phoenix mutates, and this is for the two power sets separately. Combine the two with his physical abilities, and one has a very rare individual.

. . Tactically, Alsea usually operated much like an off-tank to Starman and Megagirl using his Telekinetic Armor and Telekinetic Flight. If it was daylight, he was arguably more durable than the latter over time doing this. That, however, was merely Plan A. Clairsentience let him scout where it was unfeasible for Arriba to phase through. Mind Reading could give clues to mysteries when even Gunsmith and Countess were stumped. His Hallucinations could play merry hell with always fraught supervillain team cohesion. And between Mind Stun and Mind Thrust he had attacks that 1) couldn’t miss and 2) weren’t physical violence. Even his Telekinesis came in handy from time to time. But mainly? It was his Telepathic Link that jacked up the Champions’ team coordination in a crisis. He apparently had no talent for or desire to feint and demoralize opponents, but he still had some combat skills for using during Plan A. Accurate, Defensive, and Power Attack could adjust his caps. Improved Grab and Improved Pin put that beefy grapple bonus to work and was his favored method of dealing with mundane criminals. Takedown Attack could mow through lesser foes. And Interpose could protect the innocent with his own body. He could power stunt just fine, and if I went through the list we’d be here all day. If it’s a telepathic or telekinetic power he doesn’t have, he tried it out at least once and more likely several times. Put that Luck 4 to work.

. . PL notes: He was actually PL 8 on his debut, with everything ranked 12 on the sheet ranked 8, 8s were 6s, and 6s were 4s. However, he was definitely PL 10 after joining the Champions and in the current sheet by the invasion of ’71, where Megagirl and Nega were clearly communicating through him despite being in space over opposite sides of the planet.

Personality: Alsea was not a complicated being. He was basically everyone’s introvert friend. Likeable and helpful, but also shy and private. The thing that made him different, the example that he set, had to do with the fact that he was genuinely a mutant monster. He was not human. Not at all. That was why he was so friendly and nice. That was why he kept being a superhero after that initial boat hijacking. Because, by human standards, he was a freakish monster. With incomprehensible, utterly inhuman thought processes. And he knew it.

. . Humans have a bad tendency to murder the shit out of anything freakish, monstrous, and inhuman. Alsea wasn’t afraid for himself. Not really. He could be a tricky opponent to prevent escaping, and he could fight if he needed to. But the next monster might not be so lucky in their abilities. Beings that only want peaceful coexistence could be slaughtered by terrified humans. Or even worse, be the ones doing the slaughtering in self defense. He found neither of those options acceptable. So the least that he could do was set the standard for monster behavior. Show the humans that not all monsters were scary killers like those awful movies said.

. . So who was Alsea really? Well, it works like this. Telepathy either engenders great compassion or great misanthropy in sentient beings. There is no in between. Not really. People can and do suck. Sometimes a lot. But not always, and not all the time. From time to time and on occasion, people can be truly extraordinary. The misanthropes either don’t see that or find it woefully inadequate. But Alsea? Nah. This mutant seaborne plant monster saw us in more or less our entirety, and decided we were worth it. He fell on the great compassion side of that divide, and harder than most. ‘Nuff said.
Davies

Re: The Phoenixverse (A 2e OC 'verse; Newest: The Champions! Starman! Starwoman! Gunsmith! Megagirl! Arriba! Nega! Alsea

Post by Davies »

One of these days, I'm not going to be impressed beyond words by what you come up with. Not today, though.
"I'm sorry. I love you. I'm not sorry I love you."
EternalPhoenix

Re: The Phoenixverse (A 2e OC 'verse; Newest: The Champions! Starman! Starwoman! Gunsmith! Megagirl! Arriba! Nega! Alsea

Post by EternalPhoenix »

Davies wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 4:53 pm One of these days, I'm not going to be impressed beyond words by what you come up with. Not today, though.
glances at Countess Won't be Tuesday, either. :mrgreen:
Jabroniville

Re: Nega I (Hal Scott)

Post by Jabroniville »

EternalPhoenix wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 4:28 pm Nega I (Hal Scott)
LOL, okay- so anyone familiar with comics gets the joke about the name immediately- now I wonder how big of a counterpart he's going to be. *checks* YUP- he's our Green Lantern- the "Create Object" guy, right down to a "Nega Corps". And even is trainee "Kylie Stewart" or that "Alan Jordan", hee hee.

It's funny- looking at 2e, the one thing I forget about COMPLETELY is the "Reflex Save". I don't even know what that's FOR, these days.

I need to look up the names of all the space empires you used to see where they are in your list of builds. Kinda neat how the Nega Corps. had an internal issue (is that more elaborated upon anywhere?) and he had to fix it, but by transplanting Earth stuff into it- how does the Corps respond to that? Did they think it presumptuous or was he respected enough to get away with it?

It's kind of interesting, but also sad, that he lacks much connection to Earth. Much as he places his own military ranks onto a space army, effectively creating a new "air force" like back home. I do like that he's an ultra by-the-book type of guy, definitely contrasting Hal Jordan and being more similar to John Stewart (the JLU version, anyways) in that effect.
Davies

Post by Davies »

Jabroniville wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 11:21 pm
LOL, okay- so anyone familiar with comics gets the joke about the name immediately- now I wonder how big of a counterpart he's going to be. *checks* YUP- he's our Green Lantern- the "Create Object" guy, right down to a "Nega Corps". And even is trainee "Kylie Stewart" or that "Alan Jordan", hee hee.
But the origin blends in at least one version of Ultraman's, I believe.
EternalPhoenix

Post by EternalPhoenix »

I mean, I didn't do it as a joke, but if it's funny to you I guess? The Nega part comes from Mar-Vell and his Nega Bands. I liked the name, that's all. It's not supposed to mean anything.
Jabroniville wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 11:21 pmIt's funny- looking at 2e, the one thing I forget about COMPLETELY is the "Reflex Save". I don't even know what that's FOR, these days.
2e's Defense was split into 3E's Parry and Dodge. Dodge also got all of 2e's Reflex stuff. Halving Area Attacks, dodging Dazzles and Snares, etc.
Jabroniville wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 11:21 pmI need to look up the names of all the space empires you used to see where they are in your list of builds. Kinda neat how the Nega Corps. had an internal issue (is that more elaborated upon anywhere?) and he had to fix it, but by transplanting Earth stuff into it- how does the Corps respond to that? Did they think it presumptuous or was he respected enough to get away with it?
I'll save you some time. Nega is the first time I've gone into detail about what's going on in space. Everything else has been very Earth focused, but Nega needed the background to work. So I sorted it out.

Eh, well. The Nega Corps, as stated, had all but collapsed by the end of the Champions' final mission. It's part and parcel of that event, which again, I'm leaving to the reader's imagination. Corruption, complacency, it's the same old story. You know how it goes. Anyway, with the existing leadership and many of the senior Negas out of the picture (via death, imprisonment, or resignation), Hal stepped up. It's important to remember here that at this point he'd been a Nega for over 25 years. The ones that were left, many of them were his collegues. His friends. It's not like he randomly swooped in out of nowhere. He just kinda...took charge of a broken situation. Trying to repair even a small bit of an organization he still believed in. He didn't start trying to be in charge of the whole thing, he's just that kind of guy. The type people almost instinctively defer to because they know from experience he simply gets things done, and with a minimum of any unnecessary bullshit.
Jabroniville wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 11:21 pmIt's kind of interesting, but also sad, that he lacks much connection to Earth. Much as he places his own military ranks onto a space army, effectively creating a new "air force" like back home. I do like that he's an ultra by-the-book type of guy, definitely contrasting Hal Jordan and being more similar to John Stewart (the JLU version, anyways) in that effect.
I like to think of Hal as the bastard lovechild of Hall Jordan and Steve Rogers. Or maybe if Steve was a flyboy from Korea instead of an army grunt from WW2.
Davies wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 1:40 am
Not intentionally so. Though after today's news, I think I'd prefer the Nega Corps feel more like a bigass Sentai or Power Ranger team. Though perhaps minus the silly posing when they transform, heh.
OwOMotaros

Post by OwOMotaros »

EternalPhoenix wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 4:48 am
Davies wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 1:40 am
Not intentionally so. Though after today's news, I think I'd prefer the Nega Corps feel more like a bigass Sentai or Power Ranger team. Though perhaps minus the silly posing when they transform, heh.
Silly? For shame, Phoenix. For shame.

Good job, btw. Can't say I recognize any Ultraman-esque elements like Davies said, tho.
Davies

Post by Davies »

... I'm probably misremembering.
EternalPhoenix

Post by EternalPhoenix »

OwOMotaros wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 5:06 am
EternalPhoenix wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 4:48 am
Silly? For shame, Phoenix. For shame.

Good job, btw. Can't say I recognize any Ultraman-esque elements like Davies said, tho.
I don't view silliness as a negative thing in a show targeted at children. Or in general, really. I know some might, but I don't. So while yes, the posing, explosions, and everything else are super fun and awesome, they're also very silly. And that's okay. We could all use some silliness in our lives. :mrgreen:
EternalPhoenix

Countess

Post by EternalPhoenix »

Countess

Power Level: 10; Power Points Spent: 270/270

STR: +5 (20), DEX: +5 (20), CON: +5 (20), INT: +7 (24), WIS: +7 (24), CHA: +7 (24)

Tough: +5/+15, Fort: +10, Ref: +5, Will: +12

Skills: Craft (artistic) 8 (+15), Craft (electronic) 8 (+15), Craft (mechanical) 8 (+15), Knowledge (arcane Lore) 8 (+15), Knowledge (earth sciences) 8 (+15), Knowledge (life sciences) 8 (+15), Knowledge (physical sciences) 8 (+15), Knowledge (technology) 8 (+15), Notice 13 (+20), Sense Motive 13 (+20)

Feats: Accurate Attack, Acrobatic Bluff, Artificer, Beginner's Luck, Defensive Attack, Eidetic Memory, Improved Initiative, Inventor, Jack-of-All-Trades, Luck 3, Power Attack, Skill Mastery (Craft, KN skills), Uncanny Dodge (Auditory)

Powers:
Magi-Tech Armored Clothing (Device 10) (Hard to lose)
. . Mage Armor (Force Field 5) (+5 Toughness; Impervious)
. . Magi-Tech Sensor Mask (Super-Senses 26) (accurate (type): Auditory, analytical (type): Visual, awareness: Magic (visual), counters concealment: Auditory, counters concealment: Visual, counters illusion: Auditory, counters illusion: Visual, counters obscure (all): Auditory, counters obscure (all): Visual, ultravision)
. . Tech Armor Weave (Protection 5) (+5 Toughness; Impervious)
. . Universal Translator (Comprehend 2) (languages - understand all, languages - you're understood)

Magi-Tech Circuitry (Gadgets 10) (Action 2 (free))

Magi-Tech Circuitry Settings:
Magister Circuitry (Power Setting) (Powers: Magister's Flight (Flight 5), Magister's Spellcasting (Array 15))
. . Magister Circuitry (Power Setting) (Powers: Magister's Flight (Flight 5), Magister's Spellcasting (Array 15))
. . . . Magister's Flight (Flight 5) (Speed: 250 mph, 2200 ft./rnd)
. . . . Magister's Spellcasting (Array 15) (default power: blast; Variable Descriptor 2 (Broad group - Any Magic))
. . . . . . Create Object 10 (Array; Max Size: 10x 5' cubes, DC 20; Impervious)
. . . . . . Illusion 10 (Array; affects: 1 type + visual - visual & auditory, DC 20)
. . . . . . Move Object 15 (Array; Strength: 75, Carry: 136.2 tons / 272.9 tons / 409.6 tons / 819.2 tons)
. . . . . . Mystic Blast (Blast 15) (Default; DC 30)
. . . . . . Mystic Bonds (Snare 15) (Array; DC 25)
. . . . . . Mystic Burst (Blast 10) (Array; DC 25; Burst Area (50 ft. radius - General))
. . . . . . Mystic Passage (Teleport 10) (Array; 1000 ft. as move action, 200000 miles as full action; Accurate)
. . . . . . Scrying (ESP 10) (Array; affects: 2 types, inc. visual - visual & auditory)
. . . . . . Telepathy 10 (Array; DC 20, Adds: Communication 10, Mind Reading 10; Duration (sustained))
. . . . . . . . Communication 10 (sense type: mental)
. . . . . . . . Mind Reading 10 (DC 20)

Paragon Circuitry (Power Setting) (Powers: Paragon's Flight (Flight 10), Paragon's Resilience (Immunity 7), Paragon's Strength (Enhanced Strength 20))
. . Paragon Circuitry (Power Setting) (Powers: Paragon's Flight (Flight 10), Paragon's Resilience (Immunity 7), Paragon's Strength (Enhanced Strength 20))
. . . . Paragon's Flight (Flight 10) ([0 active, 0/20 PP, 2/r], Speed: 10000 mph, 88000 ft./rnd)
. . . . . . Paragon's Might (Super-Strength 10) (Alternate; [0 active, 0/20 PP, 2/r], +50 STR carry capacity, heavy load: 3.3k tons; +10 STR to some checks)
. . . . Paragon's Resilience (Immunity 7) (enviromental conditions (all), suffocation (all))
. . . . Paragon's Strength (Enhanced Strength 20) (+20 STR)

Sensorium Circuitry (Power Setting) (Powers: Illusionism (Array 11), Melee Targeting Support (Enhanced Trait 10), Sensorium Support (Super-Senses 16))
. . Sensorium Circuitry (Power Setting) (Powers: Illusionism (Array 11), Melee Targeting Support (Enhanced Trait 10), Sensorium Support (Super-Senses 16))
. . . . Illusionism (Array 11) (default power: illusion)
. . . . . . Concealment 10 (Array; all senses; Close Range, Precise)
. . . . . . Illusion 5 (Default; affects: all sense types, DC 15; Progression, Area 2 (25 ft. radius))
. . . . . . Obscure 5 (Array; affects: all sense types, Radius: 100 ft.; Indirect (in front of you, directed away), Precise)
. . . . Melee Targeting Support (Enhanced Trait 10) (Feats: Attack Focus (melee) 10)
. . . . Sensorium Support (Super-Senses 16) (analytical (type): Auditory, analytical (type): Visual, extended (type): Auditory 3 (-1 per 2 mi), extended (type): Visual 3 (-1 per 2 mi))

Attack Bonus: +5 (Ranged: +5, Melee: +5, Grapple: +10)

Attacks: Mind Reading 10 (DC Will 20), Mystic Blast (Blast 15), +5 (DC 30), Mystic Bonds (Snare 15), +5 (DC Ref/Staged 25), Mystic Burst (Blast 10) (DC 25), Telepathy 10 (DC Will 20), Unarmed Attack, +5 (DC 20)

Defense: +5 (Flat-footed: +3), Knockback: -12

Initiative: +9

Languages: Native Language

Totals: Abilities 72 + Skills 23 (90 ranks) + Feats 15 + Powers 130 + Combat 20 + Saves 10 + Drawbacks 0 = 270

Age (as of Jan 2019): ??? (chronological), late 20s to early 30s (appearance)
Height: 5’ 6”
Weight: 120 lbs
Ethnicity: Caucasian (Silver Age), Ambiguously Brown (Modern)
Hair: Dark Brown
Eyes: Brown
Base of Operations: New Orleans, Louisana

Background: Countess was and is the most mysterious of the Champions of Justice, and indeed, the entire Silver Age. She never kept her origins and mission a secret, mind. It was that it was so outlandish, even by Silver Age standards, that nobody but the Champions themselves really believed her. Then again, who would want to believe that, in the distant future, the universe comes to an end when an utterly unstoppable horde of red insectoid horrors rush over it in an unending tide, eating literally everything made of matter and not energy, including the corpses of their fellows, killed by various heroes and military forces before they too succumbed to the ceaseless assault. And that she’s a time traveler from the last city standing after that happened, several centuries later. The city is protected by a concealing energy barrier, which those horror (which are still out there, apparently feeding on each other in the absence of anything else) both cannot see through and have no interest in. It gets more absurd. She wasn’t in the present to stop those horrors from awakening, or to seek help combating them. Nobody knows where they came from in the first place, to start with, and the entire extended Starfamily of the period (with numbers in the triple digits) and space navies with weapons that could shatter solar systems all died trying to stop them. If they couldn’t handle it, nothing in this era can either, she says with a shrug. No, she wasn’t here for help. She was a historian on a research trip. Many records were lost with the invasion of the horrors, and the only way to get them back is time travel.

. . So, she debuted as New Orleans’s newest superhero in 1967, and finagled an invitation into the premier superteam of the era, the Champions. She was arguably the least powerful member, and the general public knew it. However, she made up for it in sheer versatility and resilience, and they knew that too. She and Gunsmith were, combined, the brains of the team. He was the detective, she was the scientist and researcher. She had stepped seamlessly into the role of a real person in the limited historical records of her time. A real person who was, apparently, her the entire time. Time travel. It’s weird. Her brother, who disapproved of her unauthorized trip, fell just as naturally into his role as her archnemesis, the Duke.. They battled back and forth for the whole era. Curiously, neither of them took it too far, caused civilian casualties, significant property damage, or anything else. They were both quite careful not to seriously damage any lives or livelihoods. She was a respected hero, he was a feared villain. Good work all around.

. . Because, as came out in space in ’85, the “unauthorized” part was a lie Duke told. He was on the same mission, just on the other side of the fence. It came out because the historical records the two had access to indicated that Countess and Duke had both disappeared that year. Truthfully, it had never been clear if she’d even gone with Champions to space. It had been a risk, and Duke had argued against it. But after over a decade and a half, these were her friends. She knew this was the end of their team. The breaking of their long fellowship. She knew Alsea died on this mission. She had to see it through. And so, after the resolution of that incident, it was time for her to go home. She took off her disguising mask and showed her friends her real, brown face for the first time. She said goodbye, and went back to the future. But not forever. And from her perspective, not even all that long.

. . The records say that Countess returned to New Orleans at the end of 2018, shortly after the dissolution of the empire of Kuros The Conqueror. And, coincidentally, many of the records for that era are still incomplete. Like exactly how one of the mightiest empires in intergalactic history had evaporated in literally less than a day. Her niece has gone ahead, taking the role of Duchess in Ohio. She took about a month for counseling (it’s difficult to abandon friends you know will be dead when you return, and harder still to see one die in front of you) and age rejuvenation (she had been getting a little up there after 18 years in the field). Then, she once again returned to our era. It is not yet known that this new Countess is the same person as the old and not a successor. But it will be, soon. The only thing that’s different is her mask no longer disguising her ethnicity. The rest of her gear is exactly the same, and she is using it in similar fashion. As for what happens next, well…spoilers, sweetie.

Powers & Tactics: Countess technically has no superhuman powers, just incredibly advanced devices. Genetic engineering, however, was perfected ages ago in her time. So she’s a once a in generatioin phsyical specimen and a genuinely rare mental one. She herself was not altered to become this way; it’s that her abilities are nearly average in her time thanks to said genetic engineering. (To be mechanically specific, it’s the 20 [+5] and ATK & DEF Bonuses of +5 that are average Bystander level in her native time period.)

. . It is Countess’s devices that define her heroic abilities best. They’re both, again, incredibly advanced. However, they’re not magic or technology. Remarkably, they’re both. Her future is unimaginably distant that the disciplines of magic & wizardry have blended with science & technology to the point where they’re almost indistinguishable from each other. As such, anyone trying to shut her down by disabling one or the other would always fail miserably. She always referred to her Magi-Tech Armored Clothing as ordinary fieldwear for researchers in her line, which begs the interesting question of what exactly soldiers and warriors wear in her era. For the Tech Armor Weave alone seems impossible. An unknown fabric and an unknown metal alloy woven together into a lightweight garment that is just as protective as our era’s heaviest mundane armor and is impervious to small arms fire in the bargain. The Mage Armor function activates a force field that that increases her resilience an equal amount and renders her impervious to even artillery fire. It has a Universal Translator because obviously, she doesn’t speak any language of our era. Her mask was bloated with a big sensor suite. Mostly allowing her eyes and ears to utterly ignore any sort of concealment, illusions, or other obscurement. This was useful, as it also had a visual analysis suite, visual magical detection, and an echolocation function.

. . However, what she was best known for in the Silver Age was her Magi-Tech Circuitry. This contained all of her offensive, mobility, and esoteric options. She admitted to requisitioning one of these special for her work, as she knew she would need the flexibility. And flexibility is certainly one way to put it. With twin versatility of all of technology and all of magic at her disposal, there did not seem to be anything she could not do with the appropriate set of themed circuitry. Magister Circuitry allowed to function as a high powered wizard, slinging around whatever potent spells she chose. Paragon Circuitry gave her might above Alsea (but still miles from Megagirl and especially Starman) and the ability to survive in space. Sensorium Circuitry allowed her to screw with enemy senses in a variety of ways, increased her own sensory abilities, and corrected one of the big knocks on her (that being a lack of attack accuracy). These were not all of the circuitries she uses over 18 years of her work, but simply the most common trio. Her versatility and flexibility were extreme.

. . Tactically, well…it’s probably best to speak broadly. Magister was for ranged fighting. Paragon for close up brawling. And Sensorium was probably used the most. The thing to remember is that she operated in support of the rest of the Champions. She had the lowest power level of all of them and she was well aware of it. She was all too happy to let Starman, Starwoman, Megagirl, and Arriba hit the front lines while she used Sensorium to make their lives easier or snuck around with Gunsmith to do something disruptive. She has both Accurate Attack to hit easier and Power Attack to do more damage. But the thing to remember is that the listed circuitries are not the limit of what she could do. She’s used Hyperspeed Circuitry to be a speedster type, Singularity Circuitry to control gravity, Photonic Circuitry to master light, and the list goes on and on. Don’t forget Artificier and Inventor. With such broad capabilities, she has never power stunted and never will.

Personality: Countess is, uh, fun. Friendly and playful, in an unexpectedly platonic fashion. It’s strange, actually. She seems to be simultaneously professionally detached and living as intensely as possible. It would make much more sense if one knew anything about her future beyond what she’s already laid out. She’s always said her time is dreadfully boring and changed the subject when asked about it. Boring is, well, one way to put it. The last city in the universe has been a city under siege for centuries. Generations have grown up, had children, grown old, and died behind an opaque silver energy shield with nothing on the other side of it but a gruesome horrible death. Reproduction is strictly regulated. They have no manufacturing. No raw materials. So when something wears out and breaks, if it isn’t a vital part of their food, power, or defense systems it tends to stay broken. Especially if needs new parts that don’t exist.

. . It’s not an unhappy life, per se. People do find ways to entertain each other, even in the darkest times. And this is not quite that. What the city is, however, is culturally stagnant. The same million stories have been told a million times. The same million songs have been sung a million times. The same is true for holovision shows and games. There are no spices in the nutrient paste they call food, and indeed little flavoring at all. The last city in the universe is dying a slow death through ideological starvation. Hence why they send historians out into the past to shore up their records. Countess isn’t simply getting the bare facts to fill out the gaps in their databases. She’s bringing back the complete text of millions of books, as many music albums as she can quantum store, and hordes of movies, television shows, and video games. They have several million yottabytes of empty data storage in the city.

. . So no, Countess isn’t lying when she says it’s dreadfully boring in her era. New Orleans was and is a far more interesting place to be. She has been freed from Dullsville, so to speak, and she’s going to enjoy ever millisecond that she can. But on the flip side of that, she does have a job to do and a timeline not to unnecessarily distort. And like most any denizen of the last city in the universe, she’s not about to allow anyone to be harmed if she has the power to do something about it. With her Magi-Tech, she absolutely does. She is going to sample pleasures culinary, literary, and audiovisual as often as possible. She’s going to meet new people with very different ideas than the ones back home, make friends, and spend as much time with them as possible. And since she’s rigged for holovision recording, even her superheroic adventures both have been and will be fodder to further culturally enrich the last city in the universe.
Gilliam

Re: The Phoenixverse (A 2e OC 'verse; Newest: The Champions! The Stars! Gunsmith! Megagirl! Arriba! Nega! Alsea! Countes

Post by Gilliam »

I do like the Countess, a nice twist on the refugee from the future.
EternalPhoenix

Re: The Phoenixverse (A 2e OC 'verse; Newest: The Champions! The Stars! Gunsmith! Megagirl! Arriba! Nega! Alsea! Countes

Post by EternalPhoenix »

Gilliam wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 5:09 pm I do like the Countess, a nice twist on the refugee from the future.
Thank you.
EternalPhoenix

Filling In The End Of This Page

Post by EternalPhoenix »

^^^