Halt Evil Doer backups?

Have a setting you like or a home brew you want to share? Do it here.
CoyoteUnion

Halt Evil Doer backups?

Post by CoyoteUnion »

Does anyone have backups of greycrusader's four giant Halt Evil Doer threads from RoninArmy? I really liked the setting and I hope it isn't lost forever.
Ian Turner

Re: Halt Evil Doer backups?

Post by Ian Turner »

The Wayback Machine seems to have snapshots of the forum topics pages, but not, apparently, the threads themselves, so that's super-annoying...
greycrusader

Post by greycrusader »

Some of the threads have been saved (I've played around with going through the posts), though I haven't yet discovered any particular pattern as to what was archived and what was lost.

Please note Halt Evil Doers IS a published setting by Charles Phipps (AKA best selling professional genre author C.T. Phipps-check out his books on Amazon);
unsure if drivethrurpg still offers pdfs, however. I WAS a major contributor, and there were plans for a villains source book for which I was a contributor, but it got shelved due to the long recessionary period in the U.S. near that time, and he soon thereafter moved to only writing fiction.

If you have specific questions, please PM me. All my best.
Last edited by greycrusader on Fri Jul 10, 2020 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Davies

Post by Davies »

greycrusader wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 8:47 pm
Please not Halt Evil Does IS a published setting by Charles Phipps (AKA best selling professional genre author C.T. Phipps-check out his books on Amazon);
unsure if drivethrurpg still offers pdfs, however.
Yep.
"I'm sorry. I love you. I'm not sorry I love you."
FuzzyBoots

Post by FuzzyBoots »

greycrusader wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 8:47 pmPlease not Halt Evil Does IS a published setting by Charles Phipps (AKA best selling professional genre author C.T. Phipps-check out his books on Amazon);
unsure if drivethrurpg still offers pdfs, however. I WAS a major contributor, and there were plans for a villains source book for which I was a contributor, but it got shelved due to the long recessionary period in the U.S. near that time, and he soon thereafter moved to only writing fiction.
Charles is from my hometown. I went to elementary school with him, and have kept in contact. If it's material you submitted to him at some point, I can drop a discrete query as to whether he still has it around.

Incidentally, his books are really well worth reading.
CoyoteUnion

Post by CoyoteUnion »

Aww, I knew I got the wrong guy! At least I was close...

I never submitted anything to him, I just loved all the info that wasn't in the PDF or happened later in the timeline.
greycrusader

Post by greycrusader »

CoyoteUnion wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 4:42 am Aww, I knew I got the wrong guy! At least I was close...

I never submitted anything to him, I just loved all the info that wasn't in the PDF or happened later in the timeline.
My original post should have said "NOTE", not "not" (wait, I think I just made that more confusing). Anyway, I just meant that while I did a good deal of posting in the Halt Evil Doer threads (all four of them), I didn't write the setting. But Charles was good enough to develop the setting a lot more extensively through the forums, and often officially ruled material to be canonical or not.

As I wrote, some of the material is on the Wayback machine page, some is missing. I likely have notes on a lot of what I did, if you have questions about that, I'm happy to answer.

All my best!
catsi563

Post by catsi563 »

I remember posting things for the TMC and for CLOWN
Dr. Silverback has wryly observed that this is like trying to teach lolcats about Shakespeare

Showdown at the Litterbox

Catsi stories
CTPhipps

Post by CTPhipps »

It was a fantastically expanded setting by you guys.

The 2nd Edition for HALT EVIL DOER! is still available on DriveThru RPG and will continue to be so in order to fund my RPG habit for years to come.

Take also note that I used some of its characters and ideas for my Supervillainy Saga novels (6 books and counting).
Author of Cthulhu Armageddon, Lucifer's Star, Space Academy Dropouts, and The Rules of Supervillainy
CoyoteUnion

Found Halt Evil Doer threads! (mostly)

Post by CoyoteUnion »

Someone on Scribd posted threads 2-5 (setting info only) so I downloaded them. Here they are.

And in our two-for-one deal, download HED, get Crinoverse free! Threads 1-4, 4 might be incomplete or maybe it's just short.

They also had some Kreuz stuff I didn't download (setting, builds).

(Name's super fake, probably some RPG character but I can't remember who)

Thank you brothersale. Not all heroes wear capes. :)
greycrusader

Post by greycrusader »

Thanks so much for these!

All my best.
FuzzyBoots

Post by FuzzyBoots »

I have some archived database access, although I'll need to redownload MySQL on the new machine (recently upgraded).
Tattooedman

Re: Found Halt Evil Doer threads! (mostly)

Post by Tattooedman »

CoyoteUnion wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 10:14 pm Someone on Scribd posted threads 2-5 (setting info only) so I downloaded them. Here they are.

And in our two-for-one deal, download HED, get Crinoverse free! Threads 1-4, 4 might be incomplete or maybe it's just short.

Thanks for sharing!
Jabroniville wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 11:45 pm
LOl- "The Tattooed Man"? What kind of ABSOLUTE DILDO would refer to himself as "The Tattooed Man" :P!?!
Harnos

Re: Found Halt Evil Doer threads! (mostly)

Post by Harnos »

CoyoteUnion wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 10:14 pm Someone on Scribd posted threads 2-5 (setting info only) so I downloaded them. Here they are.

Thanks, I was looking for old forum threads for inspiration.
CTPhipps

Post by CTPhipps »

I should note that I moved over to be a professional author in 2015 and the funny thing about it is that my (by far) best-selling book series is the SUPERVILLAINY SAGA that is heavily based on the Halt Evil Doer! universe. They're two distinct universes but I drew a bunch of my work there for the characters and their interactions.

So thanks to everyone who got me thinking deeply about superhero world-building.

Gary's stats can be the JUMPED UP DABBLER archetype.
Author of Cthulhu Armageddon, Lucifer's Star, Space Academy Dropouts, and The Rules of Supervillainy