Master Plan for 3E

Where DMs can leave their notes, or ask other DMs for help with their game.
Thorpocalypse

Master Plan for 3E

Post by Thorpocalypse »

One of the things I miss from 2E is the Master Plan feat. I'd like to do a house rule for it in my 3E setting and I'm trying to make it a little more balanced. Here's my first shot. Thoughts?
If you have the opportunity to prepare for an encounter you can formulate a plan. This requires at least a few minutes, longer at the Gamemaster’s discretion. Make an Intelligence check (DC 10). If successful, you and your allies gain a bonus on all skill checks and attack rolls in the encounter depending on the result of your roll: +1 for a First Degree Success, +2 for a Second Degree Success or higher. This bonus is not subject to power level limits.

You choose when during the encounter to initiate your master plan. The bonus lasts for 2 rounds. You can only use this feat when you have the opportunity to prepare for an encounter in advance, not when dealing with sudden or unexpected encounters.
Me fail English? That's unpossible. - Ralph Wiggum
Shock

Re: Master Plan for 3E

Post by Shock »

+1/+2 seems a little weak. Aren't most other staged bonuses +2/+5? And wasn't the requirement for better success a little higher in 2E?
StarGuard

Post by StarGuard »

If it applies to a whole team versus a single individual, then it would have to appear weaker, no? Never haven 2e I wouldn't know how to compare the two
Thorpocalypse

Post by Thorpocalypse »

Shock wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 2:12 am +1/+2 seems a little weak. Aren't most other staged bonuses +2/+5? And wasn't the requirement for better success a little higher in 2E?
StarGuard wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 2:45 am If it applies to a whole team versus a single individual, then it would have to appear weaker, no? Never haven 2e I wouldn't know how to compare the two
Thanks for the feedback Shock and StarGuard. I agree that the bonus is kinda low, Shock, but as StarGuard noted, I wanted to keep it in check because it could impact a high number of characters. I could limit the number of allies, I suppose and then make 3rd degree of success +5. I just don't want it to make Inspiration obsolete like it felt sometimes in 2E.

The Intelligence DC is the same, the ranges for bonus were 10-14 +1, 15-25 +2 , 25 or higher +3.

I'll keep massaging it.
Davies

Post by Davies »

My suggestion might be to either (a) make it a ranked Advantage and have its rank be the number of allies who can benefit from the bonus in any given round, or (b) state that the character's INT bonus is the number of allies who can benefit &c.
"I'm sorry. I love you. I'm not sorry I love you."
Thorpocalypse

Post by Thorpocalypse »

How about this? I wanted to give field generals that aren't geniuses, like Cap, a chance to do well at this also.
If you have the opportunity to prepare for an encounter you can formulate a plan. This requires at least a few minutes, longer at the Gamemaster’s discretion. Make an Intelligence or Expertise (Tactics) check (DC 10). If successful, you and up to 5 of your non-minion/non-force combat allies gain a bonus on all skill checks and attack rolls in the encounter depending on the result of your roll: +1 for a First Degree Success, +2 for a Second Degree Success or +5 for a Third Degree Success or higher. This bonus is not subject to power level limits.

You choose when during the encounter to initiate your master plan. The bonus lasts for the first 2 rounds after you activate your Master Plan. You can only use this advantage when you have the opportunity to prepare for an encounter in advance, not when dealing with sudden or unexpected encounters. You may only your Master Plan once per encounter.
kenseido

Post by kenseido »

I would specify a base Time Rank from the table for preparation - adjustable by the GM of course - and decide if Mental Quickness is allowed to affect it.
greycrusader

Post by greycrusader »

I think all these ideas are quite solid indeed! Master Plan is an advantage which really should be incorporated, as it reflects both villainous masterminds and heroic team leaders. It even works well for the "Crazy Prepared Types" (think Morrison's Batman) who research their foes tactics and counter them accordingly.

All my best.