Vanguard Academy IC: Feels Like The First Time

For all of your Play-By-Post games.
jmucchiello
Posts: 2807
Joined: Sat Feb 09, 2019 7:59 pm

Re: Vanguard Academy IC: Feels Like The First Time

Post by jmucchiello »

Arkrite wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 9:17 pm "Wait, if what Wally does is unnatural does that mean that there is natural teleportation?" Mack asks, earnestly excited to learn about this.
"No, but well, I don't know if this is how it works for all teleporters," Blair begins, "but I can feel him twisting... um... time-space stuff when he opens those portals. Like I know instinctively that I should avoid teleporting through this area because... the stuff that is space has been... I don't know if injured is the right word. But after the portals close, the wrong feeling I pick up diminishes and fades. And like those spots over there where Wally was blowing smoke are fine again. But that backscratching trick is still... healing I guess.

"And I thought England still used yards and miles in highway signs." She finishes looking at Wally.
User avatar
Tony Jones
Posts: 1871
Joined: Tue Oct 22, 2019 8:54 pm

Re: Vanguard Academy IC: Feels Like The First Time

Post by Tony Jones »

Sery Cmok
Hero Points: 1; Current Condition: Fine

"That would be excellent!" she tells Jessamine after her offer to speak together in Belarusian.

"I think I have lots I must learn here before I am in a position to return home," she agrees. "Also, lack of any other options right now is a great motivation!"

"But what colonies are we in here?" she asks, sounding genuinely confused.
Flynnarrel
Posts: 6060
Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2016 5:23 pm

Re: Vanguard Academy IC: Feels Like The First Time

Post by Flynnarrel »

Skew
HP: 1 | LP: 2 | Cnd: Snarky

"Lemme guess, you read 'How to Win Friends..' Schoolyard edition?" Wally jokes but takes a cookie. "I am *totally* bribable, by the by." he says without shame.

"And pfft. Do I look like I use road signs?" he says to Blaire taking a bite of cookie. He seems to have waved off any talk of a destructive or wounding affect his powers might have on spatial integrity. "Oh, also, I been told loads. Even if you can teleport, they want you to swipe your entry card at one of the doors. Its so they has a log a who's entered recently for like... a fire or villain attack or sumpin'."
He shrugs. "Alls I know is I been chewed out plenty this last month an a half."
"Something pithy this way comes."
User avatar
Doctor Malsyn
Posts: 5879
Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2016 10:42 pm
Location: Thunderdome, Texas

Re: Vanguard Academy IC: Feels Like The First Time

Post by Doctor Malsyn »

Jessamine Sinclair
HP: 1 | Condition: Acceptable

"English slang to refer to the United States." Answered without any judgment. "The nation started out as English colonies before they warred for independence."
Am I dead? Am I alive? The answer may surprise you!
------------
I'm the GM of The New Mythos, and play a more reasonable amount of characters then before.
pathfinderq1
Posts: 1580
Joined: Sun Mar 12, 2017 4:04 pm

Re: Vanguard Academy IC: Feels Like The First Time

Post by pathfinderq1 »

Stormdancer
HP: 1; LP: 1; Condition: Normal

It hadn't taken Allison long to select a good perch to watch from- a reasonable good-sized tree was helpfully located right near the low wall that divided two sections of the campus (the tree directly "north" of building 3F on the map); a bit of scrambling, assisted by the barest gust of wind got her high enough to observe both sides of the wall.

And observe she did. Her Academy-assigned counselor had referred to it as part of the "Acclimation" process- raised to hate Alphas, to see them as The Other, it was helpful, even necessary, to instead see them as just people, just doing normal things (in this case, just strolling around the school grounds- some new and confused, some moving with purpose, some like her, just watching the new kids). Over the years, she had arrived at quite a few new schools, though none quite like this one. At least no one seemed to show the sort of fear or desperation she had seen among new kids at those other facilities.

And so it went, for a while. New kids, new faces- and here and there a face she had seen around campus before. But just normal kids (mostly normal) doing normal things...

F*$#! Was that a WALKING SKELETON in a hoodie, in that growing knot of (mostly) new kids? Without realizing she was doing it, she shifted her position on the branch, moving to a wary crouch.

And somewhere, far away enough that it would barely be noticed, there was a soft rumble of thunder. Ever so slightly, there was stir of wind. Allison was focused on the G@&&!%n SKELETON and the kids around him ("It" her father's voice whispered harshly in her ear)...

>OOC: Working towards interaction, not quite there yet. Also not actually dangerous, but it might be enough to make Chris feel twitchy...
User avatar
Arkrite
Posts: 3380
Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2016 9:16 pm
Location: Canada

Re: Vanguard Academy IC: Feels Like The First Time

Post by Arkrite »

Maximilian "Mack" Butler
HP: 1 Status: Normal

Mack points at Wally, and his jaw dangles from his skull like it's on a hinge, "Ah, that's brilliant! Oh man, I wish I would have thought of that, I could have made lemon cheesecake squares!"
Flynnarrel
Posts: 6060
Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2016 5:23 pm

Re: Vanguard Academy IC: Feels Like The First Time

Post by Flynnarrel »

Skew
HP: 1 | LP: 2 | Cnd: Snarky

"Naw, Mate, these biscuits are crackin'." Wally says with enthusiasm, turning off and pocketing his vape pen.

"You lot should get in on this." he says to the others, gesturing to the bag. "You really do bakes and puddings?" Wally asks Mack.
"Something pithy this way comes."
User avatar
Arkrite
Posts: 3380
Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2016 9:16 pm
Location: Canada

Re: Vanguard Academy IC: Feels Like The First Time

Post by Arkrite »

Maximilian "Mack" Butler
HP: 1 Status: Normal

"Oh yeah," He says, offering the bag around, "I helped with meals before I looked like this. Now? Uh, well, I have a lot more time to bake."

"I don't really sleep anymore, either."
Flynnarrel
Posts: 6060
Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2016 5:23 pm

Re: Vanguard Academy IC: Feels Like The First Time

Post by Flynnarrel »

Skew
HP: 1 | LP: 2 | Cnd: Snarky

"Well, if you ever need a way into the kitchens, I can hook you up." Wally says. "But I do need me shut-eye else I'm proper knackered."
"Something pithy this way comes."
Neo-Paladin
Posts: 2479
Joined: Sun Dec 11, 2016 8:48 am

Re: Vanguard Academy IC: Feels Like The First Time

Post by Neo-Paladin »

Flynnarrel wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 9:18 pm Skew
HP: 1 | LP: 2 | Cnd: Snarky

"Right, you guys an your 'feet' and 'miles'. Bloody non-sense." Wally mutters. "An' I'm from Dover, England." He turns back to the conversation's direction.

"Yeah, iss like, no one jus' can fly, an' tha's it. Iss always, 'fly AND tough AND strong'." he says.

"Wish I were tough n strong, though. Alls I can do is make tha most of wot I got." he reaches forward into a portal and an answering one allows him to scratch that hard-to-reach spot of the back. His looks of bliss as he gets the itches out. They close when he withdraws his hand.

"So, new guy, wo's your shtick? Mack is... well he's on a super diet. Chris is a walking alarm, apparently. Me, Wally or Skew, I got portals, obvi. Blaire can teleport as only a *part* of her powers..." he say that last with a mocking air of aristocracy and raises a hand with pinky extended before turning to the new guy..

"Wassyer name? Wassyer powers? And wass wit tha verbal spasm when ya first came over. Thot you was having a super stroke."
Before Mateo can respond, Mack offers a cookie and he quickly accepts it. Once done with it, he shrugs and says, " Well, sorry about that. Needed to switch back from Ancient Greek to English. Sometimes takes a moment. Name's Mateo. I heal pretty fast. Give me a day or so for a broken bone and I'm good as new. Also, I am, according to the dottores...sorry, doctors...at peak human physical strength and stamina. Without a single day of training." He flexes his bicep a little.
" I also have perfect memory. Oh...and I get reincarnated when I die. I'm about 6,000 or so years old." He adds with a little wry smile as if that happened to be the least of his powers.
User avatar
Tony Jones
Posts: 1871
Joined: Tue Oct 22, 2019 8:54 pm

Re: Vanguard Academy IC: Feels Like The First Time

Post by Tony Jones »

Sery Cmok
Hero Points: 1; Current Condition: Fine
Doctor Malsyn wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 11:12 pm "English slang to refer to the United States." Answered without any judgment. "The nation started out as English colonies before they warred for independence."

"Ah, I see," nods Zoska.

They are interrupted by a call. "Zoska, you'll have to talk to your new friend later, they're ready for you now," says Agent Matthews, beckoning from the door.

As hard as it might be to tell, given her appearance, there is a definite impression of an eye roll from Zoska.

"Sorry," she tells Jessamine. "There is more paperwork to do! So much paperwork! So I must go. I shall see you later, yes?"
User avatar
Doctor Malsyn
Posts: 5879
Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2016 10:42 pm
Location: Thunderdome, Texas

Re: Vanguard Academy IC: Feels Like The First Time

Post by Doctor Malsyn »

Jessamine Sinclair
HP: 1 | Condition: Acceptable

"I'll be around." She nodded. They were nearing the counselor's offices, and Jessamine needed to avoid being seen going there as well. As it was normal, "Take care, Zoska."

With that dismissal and a parting look to Agent Matthews, Jessamine continued on her way with plenty to think about. Already it was proving easier to ingratiate herself with the younger classes than her own. Approaching from a position of authority was the best approach. She would find a place within her own class's hierarchy as well, though it'd require a longer period of observation in order to properly assess everyone's flaws and dispositions. More than the social nuances of a new school, it seemed there were things left to discover about herself as well.

Psychic translation. Interesting. In theory, this should only apply to the spoken word, yet she'd need time to experiment later for herself to the full extent of its limits. Implications from this could mean there was more she was capable of rather than lying to others about reality. Later though.

"Dad." Jessamine called him, as it was appropriate. "We're finished here, then?"

Short peppered hair and steel eyes rimmed by square glasses, the family resemblance between the two was evident alone from their sharp features. Her height, however, seemed to have come from her mother's side as her father was a head and shoulders shorter than her. Despite being the shortest in their little household he never let such superficial factors affect their relationships. The man looked up at her briefly with a nod, a briefcase of documents legal and medical securely at his side.

"They understand your rights and won't disclose anything that'd breach confidentiality, as long as you 'behave yourself'." He finished with a click of his tongue, storm brewing in his eyes.

Easing him, "They won't have anything to worry about. I understand my position here."

Already he was moving, Jessamine following behind without word. "Hmph, if you say love. Come on, I need to make a call to your mother and then we'll pick up your stuff from home."

"Of course." It was perhaps unconventional to have held off packing as long as she had done, but it's not as if they lived a significant distance away. While she expected to have been transferred to the campus dorms there'd always been a chance she would only need to commute. It seems that wasn't going to be the case after all.
Am I dead? Am I alive? The answer may surprise you!
------------
I'm the GM of The New Mythos, and play a more reasonable amount of characters then before.
Flynnarrel
Posts: 6060
Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2016 5:23 pm

Re: Vanguard Academy IC: Feels Like The First Time

Post by Flynnarrel »

Skew
HP: 1 | LP: 2 | Cnd: Snarky
Neo-Paladin wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 6:50 am " I also have perfect memory. Oh...and I get reincarnated when I die. I'm about 6,000 or so years old." He adds with a little wry smile as if that happened to be the least of his powers.
"An' your in kiddie school cuz why?" Wally asks Mateo sardonically.
"Something pithy this way comes."
Neo-Paladin
Posts: 2479
Joined: Sun Dec 11, 2016 8:48 am

Re: Vanguard Academy IC: Feels Like The First Time

Post by Neo-Paladin »

Flynnarrel wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 5:39 pm Skew
HP: 1 | LP: 2 | Cnd: Snarky
Neo-Paladin wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 6:50 am " I also have perfect memory. Oh...and I get reincarnated when I die. I'm about 6,000 or so years old." He adds with a little wry smile as if that happened to be the least of his powers.
"An' your in kiddie school cuz why?" Wally asks Mateo sardonically.

" Legally, I'm still a teenager. Also...I need some time to get all my memories in order. Always takes a couple of years. People thought this would be the best place for me."
Mateo shrugs. " I don't mind going to school again. I don't much appreciate being treated like a kid by people less than a generation old, though...just because my current body has been around for less than 18 years."
User avatar
Tony Jones
Posts: 1871
Joined: Tue Oct 22, 2019 8:54 pm

Re: Vanguard Academy IC: Feels Like The First Time

Post by Tony Jones »

Sery Cmok
Hero Points: 1; Current Condition: Fine

"Yes, you too! See you later!" she says to Jessamine with a small wave, and then she is gone after Agent Matthews.

--

Some time later, she emerges from the school offices with Agent Matthews, some more paperwork, a map of the school, and a keycard for the room she has been assigned in Byrne House.

"So, thank you for all your help, Agent Matthews," she tells the woman from C.A.S.T.L.E. seriously.

"My pleasure Zoska!" she replied. "And call me Jeanette. Now remember, the school should be looking after you, but you have my number and C.A.S.T.L.E.'s if you need us. Don't hesitate to call!"

"I know, I know," nodded Zoska. "I shall be fine!"

"Then good luck! And don't be a stranger!" said Agent Matthews.

She climbed into the large black SUV, started the engine and drove away down the drive and out of sight.

Zoska watched her go, feeling a little lost and alone as one of the few people she knew was gone.

Then she straightened up. No, she was here for a reason. She had already spoken to one person here. And the place could not possibly be as bad as her situation back in Belarus. So. Onwards!

--

After a look at the map, she found her way to Byrne House and to her room. She was pleasantly surprised when the door to the building, and to her room within, opened without any problems after she presented her keycard to the reader. Not like the ones back home!

She moved quickly inside, shut the door, put down her meager luggage, and slumped heavily onto the bed with a sigh, but also a smile as she looked around.

The room was small, but larger than the room she had been given back in Belarus. And newer. And brighter. And cleaner. No bars on the windows. Furniture that didn't look like it dated back to Soviet times. And a door that locked from the inside!

She opened the window, allowing in the fresh air from outside, then turned to her bags.

The suitcase she unpacked into the closet and drawers. From the rucksack came from books, a notepad and some pens, and a slightly crumpled packet of cigarettes. The books she lined up on the desk, titles in Belarusian Cyrillic facing outwards. The rucksack and everything else it contained she shoved under the bed and into the furthest corner, putting the suitcase in front of it under the bed to further conceal its presence.

She tapped a cigarette from the pack and moved to the window, holding the cigarette up to her mouth and exhaling a tiny flame to set it alight, then puffing contentedly as she felt the smoke literally moving through her body. Since she gained her powers the nicotine and smoke had no physical effect on her, but she still enjoyed the sensation of smoking and so carried on.

She sat in the open window looking out, smoking and taking a moment of peace and quiet after the excitement of the last weeks...
Post Reply