Jab’s Builds! (Beaker! Sam Eagle! Miss Piggy! The Swedish Chef!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Gorakar

Re: The Red Lord

Post by Gorakar »

Jabroniville wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 12:22 pm THE RED LORD (Bodb Berg)
Erm... i thought the Celtic God was named "Bodb Derg" or Bodhbh Dearg?! Did they change his name for their stories?
Jabroniville

Black Axe

Post by Jabroniville »

BLACK AXE
Created By:
Simon Jowett & Edmund Perryman
First Appearance: Black Axe #1 (April 1993)
Role: Terrible Marvel UK Character, Immortal Warrior
Country of Origin: England
Group Affiliations: None
PL 10 (174)
STRENGTH
6/8 STAMINA 8 AGILITY 5
FIGHTING 9 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE 5 AWARENESS 3 PRESENCE 3

Skills:
Close Combat (Unarmed) 2 (+11)
Deception 5 (+8)
Intimidation 5 (+8)
Expertise (Assassin/Mercenary) 4 (+9)
Expertise (History) 10 (+15)
Expertise (Science) 3 (+8)
Insight 3 (+6)
Investigation 3 (+6)
Perception 4 (+7)
Persuasion 2 (+5)
Technology 3 (+8)
Vehicles 2 (+7)

Advantages:
Accurate Attack, All-Out Attack, Beginner's Luck, Benefit 4 (Wealth), Diehard, Great Endurance, Improved Critical (Axe) 2, Jack-of-All-Trades, Languages 2 (Many), Power Attack, Precise Attack (Close/Concealment), Ranged Attack 10

Powers:
"Unknown Physiology"
Immunity 3 (Aging, Disease, Poison) [3]
Regeneration 2 [2]
Senses 2 (Extended & Acute Scent) [2]

"Special Armour" (Flaws: Removable) [11]
Enhanced Strength 2 (2)
Power-Lifting 1 (12 tons) (1)
Protection 2 (2)
Senses 4 (Infravision, Extended Vision, Detect Weakness- Acute) (4)
"Invisibility" Concealment 2 (Visual Senses) (4) -- (13 points)

"Black Axe" (Flaws: Easily Removable) [17]
"Ballistics" Blast 8 (Extras: Multiattack) (Inaccurate -1) (23) -- (27 points)
      
  • AE: Blast 10 (20)
          
  • AE: Strength-Damage +3 (Feats: Reach) (Extras: Penetrating 10) (14)
          
  • AE: Force Field 10 (Flaws: Immobile) (5)
          
  • AE: Teleport 10 (Flaws: Drains Axe) (10)
Offense:
Unarmed +11 (+6 Damage, DC 21)
Armour +11 (+8 Damage, DC 23)
Black Axe +9 (+11 Damage, DC 26)
Blast +10 (+10 Ranged Damage, DC 25)
Ballistics +8 (+8 Ranged Damage, DC 23)
Initiative +3

Defenses:
Dodge +10 (DC 20), Parry +10 (DC 20), Toughness +8 (+10 Armour), Fortitude +11, Will +6

Complications:
Responsibility (Unknown Identity)

Total: Abilities: 78 / Skills: 46--23 / Advantages: 26 / Powers: 35 / Defenses: 12 (174)

-OK, so yeah... I had this guy's card, and was fascinated by him. He's a dude in black armor carrying around a giant axe that looked like a huge can opener, that is apparently immortal, has been alive for thousands of years, and has a questionable origin. All in all, brutally '90s. He starred in a Black Axe series that no doubt was expected to be a massive success. I'm not sure what his job or motivation was- he just kind of kicked around, fought some guys, and killed some people- his backstory includes stuff like fighting in ancient Egypt or during the warring states period in Japan, making friends & enemies (such as The Hand) along the way. Hilariously, he gets non-stop "Bad-Ass Feats" such as his sword resisting MEPHISTO'S blasts, causing the Lord of Lies to react with actual fear and teleport Black Axe away from him. However, the next batch of issues are just him wandering around various places, like dealing with a war-torn African country- the Black Panther gets involved (and it turns out the axe has vibranium in it, bought from T'Challa) and the war is successfully stopped when the heroes prove that both sides were manipulated into fighting by the arms industry.

-With Black Axe #7, the character vanishes as Marvel UK melts down and the no-names who were working on his book disappear (Simon Jowett apparently wrote a Bob the Builder comic of all things, and mostly does licensed stuff I've never heard of). Black Axe reappears in 2012 of all places acting as a mercenary in an X-Men book (written by a Victor Gischler, whom I've also never heard of), being beaten by a guy named "Visigoth" after a bunch of mercenaries were lured to a strange island to fight each other. Two years later, all Black Axe gets is a cameo in Revolutionary War, shown as one of the heroes fighting MyS-TECH. The character's legacy is thus nil- all in all, he was around for seven issues, which is even worse than Slapstick got!

-Jeez, this guy's kind of an average combatant (a good fighter with some balanced offensive/defensive stats, but focused on his Melee talents), but he goes WAYYY over cost. That happens alot with this "I'm an elite military/smarts/designer/builder/immortal" type of guy, as they end up with boatloads of military prowess and "I've done everything, ever" skills. He's partially super-tough outside of his Armour, but REALLY gets elite with that and his Black Axe (which is a super-tough set of Blast, Autofire Blast, Penetrating Strike, Force Field & Teleport).
Ares
Site Admin

Re: Jab’s Builds! (Bloodseed! Night Raven! Knights of Pendragon!)

Post by Ares »

The Knights of Pendragon really could have worked as a concept, but like so much of Marvel UK it seems just to get bogged down in weirdness and a poor execution. The idea of the Green Knight being this eco-terrorist that murders people doesn't make for a good patron, and the characters in general don't seem especially thought out. The connection to the whole MyS-TECH thing just damages the book more.

The concept of the Knights of Pendragon honestly work better for a British based superteam than Excalibur, which was basically an X-book set in Britain. I probably would have taken the general concept of "Arthurian Entity empowers modern heroes", but blend in a bit of what John Ostrander was doing over in Heroes for Hire a few years later where the Lady of the Lake gave the Black Knight his Avalon gear and some upgraded abilities as the new Pendragon, as he was the a direct descendant of someone from Arthur's court and had been fighting the good fight all of this time. Have Dane basically be a D&D-style Paladin to form as the center of the team, but since he's the only one who is a 'perfect' vessel for that power, the rest of the Pendragon energy meant for the other Knights of Camelot travels to other places, empowering some new characters, upgrading older ones, etc. Have Captain Britain and Megan naturally get involved, maybe Shang Chi as well since he'd lived in Britain for so long, as well as Blade since he was born in London. Have the five of them be the core of the group and have to track down the other Pendragon enhanced individuals to fight off some threat, maybe save some of the Marvel UK characters that can be saved, etc.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
Ares
Site Admin

Re: Black Axe

Post by Ares »

Jabroniville wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 1:21 pm Image

BLACK AXE
Created By:
Simon Jowett & Edmund Perryman
First Appearance: Black Axe #1 (April 1993)
Role: Terrible Marvel UK Character, Immortal Warrior

-OK, so yeah... I had this guy's card, and was fascinated by him. He's a dude in black armor carrying around a giant axe that looked like a huge can opener,
I had his card as well, and I alternated between "can opener" and "black Swiss Army knife". The thing definitely didn't resemble much of an "axe".
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
Jabroniville

Re: The Red Lord

Post by Jabroniville »

Gorakar wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 1:16 pm
Jabroniville wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 12:22 pm THE RED LORD (Bodb Berg)
Erm... i thought the Celtic God was named "Bodb Derg" or Bodhbh Dearg?! Did they change his name for their stories?
It’s Celtic. I can’t spell that shit.
Jabroniville

Dolph

Post by Jabroniville »

DOLPH (Colin Snewing)
Created by:
Dan Abnett, Andy Lanning & Jim Tomlison
First Appearance: The Knights of Pendragon #1 (July 1990)
Role: Background Villain
Group Affiliation: The Omni Corporation, The Bane
PL 10 (113)
STRENGTH
2/11 STAMINA 4/12 AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 6/8 DEXTERITY 2
INTELLIGENCE 0 AWARENESS 0 PRESENCE 0

Skills:
Deception 4 (+4)
Expertise (Assassin) 6 (+6)
Intimidation 5 (+5)
Investigation 5 (+5)
Perception 6 (+6)
Stealth 4 (+7)

Advantages:
All-Out Attack, Equipment 6 (Sais, Nunchucks, Guns, Bazookas, etc.), Ranged Attack 4

Powers:
"Bane-Given Powers"
Enhanced Strength 9 [18]
Enhanced Stamina 8 [16]
Enhanced Fighting 2 [4]
"Wrist Blades" Strength-Damage +1 (Feats: Split) [2]
Flight 6 (120 mph) (Flaws: Winged) [6]

Offense:
Unarmed +6 (+2 Damage, DC 17)
Weapons +6 (+4-5 Damage, DC 19-20)
Bane Powers +8 (+11 Damage, DC 26)
Wrist Blades +8 (+12 Damage, DC 27)
Initiative +3

Defenses:
Dodge +6 (DC 16), Parry +6 (+8 Bane Powers, DC 16-18), Toughness +4 (+12 Bane Powers), Fortitude +4 (+12 Bane Powers), Will +4

Complications:
Hatred (Women in Power)- Dolph is naturally a sexist (calling his own boss "Honey bunny" over the phone), but when he's fired by Francesca, he begins murdering women in high positions of power, targetting them specifically.

Total: Abilities: 34 / Skills: 30--15 / Advantages: 11 / Powers: 46 / Defenses: 7 (113)

-Dolph (named for his resemblance to Dolph Lundgren) was an oddly recurring villain in Knights of Pendragon. He was just some goon who worked for Francesca Grace at Omni Corporation, acting as a personal hitman/assassin, investigating the investigation by Dai Thomas & Kate McClellan into Omni. He repeatedly tailed and befuddled the heroes before getting into a huge fight, where Dai beat the hell out of him despite his weapons. Already an unhinged sexist, he went completely off the rails after Grace fired him for his failure, and he began murdering career women in their 30s- people who matched Grace's status and career. Among his intended targets was Kate, naturally, but she overpowered him easily thanks to her Pendragon powers and had him arrested.

-However, Grace, by this point empowered by The Bane, said she found his serial killing "almost attractive" and sprung him, and the Bane-army went on the rampage. He nearly killed Kate and Captain Britain with his powered-up form, but lost his powers when Grace was KO'd and fled. Empowered even further, he beat Black Panther & Union Jack at once, resisting great bodily harm, KILLING Jack temporarily! Finally, Jack recovered and decapitated Dolph with a sword in the final battle. A memory of Dolph was used to torment Pete Wisdom by Legion many years later, but the villain has never returned.

-Dolph in his normal form is a pretty plain loser guy- a solid tracker (he's able to trail Dai Thomas & Kate McClellan easily for several issues) but he manages to job to Dai pretty hard in solo combat, and the chubby ol' Welshman is NOT in his physical prime. When he's empowered by The Bane, however, he becomes exceptionally powerful, able to battle the Knights of Pendragon, Captain Britain, the Black Panther or Union Jack solo or in groups across several issues of one book, so it's not all "New Villain Stink". He's simply way too powerful for most human-tier guys to handle (T'Challa in the 1990s was a "Daredevil"-tier guy, not a combat god like today).
Sidney369

Re: Jab’s Builds! (Night Raven! Knights of Pendragon! Black Axe!)

Post by Sidney369 »

It doesn't get much more 90s than Black Axe's huge, impractical melee weapon that's also a gun for some reason.
Always ask before you use someone's Original Character.
Never ever use them without permission. Only Villains do that.
Jabroniville

The Dragon’s Claws

Post by Jabroniville »

THE DRAGON'S CLAWS
Created by:
Simon Furman & Geoff Senior
First Appearance: The Dragon's Claws #1 (June 1988)
Role: Dystopian Cop/Athletes

-The Dragon's Claws are actually among the EARLIEST Marvel UK concepts, being a team created in 1988, but The Transformers's Simon Furman and future Death's Head creator and Battletide artist Geoff Senior. Some poor bastard (I forget who) actually requested these guys more than THREE YEARS before I ended up actually doing them- I suggested it was a record back in the day, but nowadays I've probably surpassed it by taking so long to do Watchmen builds.

-Set in the year 8162, a dystopian future, the book featured a band of ex-sports stars turned into cops, fighting their old rivals on behalf of the corrupt government. In this time period, Earth was moving closer to the sun, drying up the seas and ruining the land, creating massive poverty everywhere. A series of "Combat Contests" were created by the government to stem the civil unrest (lol, that's just The Hunger Games! And Battle Royale before that! How far back DOES this concept go?). The Claws were the best team in the games, but retired shortly before the series started. In the first issue, they are reactivated, paid by the World Development Council (via their "NURSE" organization of "National Unit of Retired Sports Experts") to fight some renegade ex-gamers called "The Wildcats". Dragon had declined, but he and his family were attacked by the Wildcats that day, and he had to save his family's lives. Realizing he missed the action, he rejoined his team.

-On the mission, their NURSE liaison led them into a trap and got most of them captured, but Dragon & Scavenger rescued them. The Wildcats were all killed, and the Claws went on a variety of other missions, such as quelling a battle between land barons in France, fighting a vigilante named Scourge in Canada, and more. Deller, their liaison, resented Dragon for humiliating him by saving his life, and was revealed as being the one who targeted Dragon's family in the first place. A band of Ex-Gamers called the Evil Dead had attacked NURSE for their corruption, and slaughtered everyone but their leader, Matron, who captured Dragon and the Dead leader Slaughterhouse, torturing them via mind-games and virtual reality for her own amusement. The two leaders eventually united their wills to stop her- Slaughterhouse destroyed her psychic self while one of his teammates slit Matron's throat. The Evil Dead & Dragon's Claws part as allies (even Deller & Dragon make peace) while NURSE is destroyed. In the final issue, they face a new threat and Dragon's wife leaves him.

-The Dragon's Claws only lasted ten issues thanks to the small UK comic book market and the violence in the series, which was apparently quite extreme.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Fri Sep 23, 2022 2:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jabroniville

Dragon

Post by Jabroniville »

DRAGON
Created by:
Role: Dystopian Cop/Athlete
Group Affiliation: The Dragon's Claws
PL 9 (122)
STRENGTH
3 STAMINA 4 AGILITY 5
FIGHTING 12 DEXTERITY 5
INTELLIGENCE 2 AWARENESS 3 PRESENCE 2

Skills:
Deception 4 (+4)
Expertise (Soldier) 7 (+9)
Expertise (Game Star) 8 (+8)
Perception 4 (+6)
Intimidation 5 (+7)
Investigation 5 (+7)
Technology 5 (+5)
Vehicles 2 (+7)

Advantages:
All-Out Attack, Chokehold, Diehard, Equipment 4 (Various Gear), Improved Aim, Improved Critical (Guns), Power Attack, Ranged Combat 7, Startle

Offense:
Unarmed +12 (+3 Damage, DC 18)
Guns +12 (+6 Ranged Damage, DC 21)
Initiative +5

Defenses:
Dodge +12 (DC 22), Parry +12 (DC 22), Toughness +4, Fortitude +6, Will +6

Complications:
Motivation (Catching Bad Guys)
Relationship (Tanya, Michael)- Dragon was convinced to retire by his wife, Tanya, who hated the violence. Eventually seeing his brutality in person, she left him, and he retained custody of their son, Michael.

Total: Abilities: 72 / Skills: 40--20 / Advantages: 18 / Powers: 0 / Defenses: 12 (122)

-Dragon is the team leader, a former soldier and reluctant sports star, having founded the Dragon's Claws after facing numerous members in battle and being impressed by them. He's very driven and moral, and respected even by his enemies. He & Scavenger were the only Claws to remain free when the Wildcats trapped them, and he made an enemy of Deller, their NURSE liaison, for humiliating him by having to rescue him. However, the two made peace when the Claws invaded NURSE headquarters and most of the organization is killed.
Jabroniville

Mercy

Post by Jabroniville »

MERCY (Mercy Connaught)
Created by:
Role: Dystopian Cop/Athletes
PL 8 (110)
STRENGTH
3 STAMINA 4 AGILITY 5
FIGHTING 10 DEXTERITY 5
INTELLIGENCE 0 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE 2

Skills:
Deception 4 (+4)
Expertise (Cop) 5 (+5)
Expertise (Streetwise) 6 (+6)
Perception 4 (+6)
Intimidation 5 (+7)
Investigation 5 (+7)
Technology 5 (+5)
Vehicles 2 (+7)

Advantages:
All-Out Attack, Chokehold, Diehard, Equipment 4 (Various Gear, Knives), Improved Aim, Improved Critical (Knives), Power Attack, Ranged Combat 5, Startle

Offense:
Unarmed +10 (+3 Damage, DC 18)
Knives +10 (+4 Damage, DC 19)
Guns +10 (+6 Ranged Damage, DC 21)
Initiative +5

Defenses:
Dodge +10 (DC 20), Parry +10 (DC 20), Toughness +4, Fortitude +6, Will +5

Complications:

Total: Abilities: 62 / Skills: 44--22 / Advantages: 16 / Powers: 0 / Defenses: 10 (110)

-Mercy was a vigilante since her wealthy father was murdered. She was arrested after executing the killer, and put under Dragon's care, joining the Dragon's Claws. One story featured the Claws tracking down a murderous vigilante named Scourge in Canada, who had been mimicking Mercy's activities. Mercy attempted to convince her to stop, but Scourge refused and Mercy was forced to kill her.

-Mercy is mostly like the others, but fights with knives.
Jabroniville

Digit

Post by Jabroniville »

DIGIT (Gan Ayerson)
Created by:
Role: Dystopian Cop/Athlete, Tech Guy
PL 8 (107)
STRENGTH
3 STAMINA 4 AGILITY 5
FIGHTING 10 DEXTERITY 5
INTELLIGENCE 6 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE 2

Skills:
Deception 4 (+4)
Expertise (Cop) 5 (+5)
Perception 4 (+6)
Intimidation 5 (+7)
Investigation 5 (+7)
Technology 7 (+13)
Vehicles 2 (+7)

Advantages:
All-Out Attack, Chokehold, Diehard, Equipment 4 (Various Gear), Improved Aim, Improved Critical (Guns), Power Attack, Ranged Combat 5, Startle

Offense:
Unarmed +10 (+3 Damage, DC 18)
Guns +10 (+6 Ranged Damage, DC 21)
Initiative +5

Defenses:
Dodge +10 (DC 20), Parry +10 (DC 20), Toughness +4, Fortitude +6, Will +5

Complications:
Responsibility (Inhuman)- Gan made himself more computerized, at the cost of his humanity.

Total: Abilities: 74 / Skills: 40--20 / Advantages: 16 / Powers: 0 / Defenses: 10 (120)

-Gan was a tech guy who computerized himself, at the expense of his humanity.
Jabroniville

Re: Jab’s Builds! (Motormouth! Killpower! Battletide!)

Post by Jabroniville »

Libra X wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 3:17 pm Jab, I was browsing your back catalogue a bit and stumbled onto your (sub)section on the Champions of Angor and noted that, while you had statted the Silver Sorceress* & Blue Jay, you had not turned out any builds for the other Champions.

*It strikes me that making her hair, skin & eyes silver in colour would seriously curtail grumbles about her questionably accurate codename: but then, I’d also love to see Angor get an artistic overhaul to make it’s inhabitants look a bit more alien and slightly less extraterrestrial.

Now, these being pastiche characters with perhaps one or two appearances in comics under their belt, they probably don’t merit extra number-crunching on your part - but on the other hand you have many, many, many pages of characters already generated: therefore, may I please ask which of your pregenerated character builds you would ‘cast’ in the role of Wajinda, Jack B. Quick et al?

For a little extra challenge, may I please ask which of your DC COMICS character builds would you ‘sub in’ as these Marvel pastiches?

(On a barely-related note, it struck me while re-reading THE MULTIVERSITY for the umpteenth time that it might be amusing to use one of your OG Marvel Family builds as ‘Major Max’ of Earth-8, making her the local Champion of Shazam as a nod her original inspiration sharing a codename with the Big Red Cheese: well, it also occurred to me that The Guardian might the most obvious DC character build to ‘cast’ as American Crusader, but that makes a much less interesting talking point).
OK I couldn't find a bio for Wajinda at all, and was ready to say DC FANS SUCK and never write down proper bios, but it's actually Wandjina. I would imagine Thor Girl or an equivalent weaker version of Thor would do for him. Jack B. Quick could be any PL 8 speedster.
Libra X

Post by Libra X »

Dear Jab, thank you very kindly for answering my query.😊

May I please ask if you would be willing to accept a more interesting one?

I recently stumbled onto an old story from Whiz Comics #125 in which Billy ‘Captain Marvel’ Batson’s patron elders very nearly lose ‘The Olympic Game of the Gods’ when challenged by a team of rival powers* and are only saved from the prospect of 1000 years in Limbo before the rematch when they finally put the Big Red Cheese into play: this is quite alarming when you realise that, had the lost, Captain Billy (and presumably the other Champions of SHAZAM) would have been sent into Limbo with them … and he only found out about this BY ACCIDENT (When a falling chariot wheel which he had mistaken for a meteor attracted his attention to the Celestial Arena).

Anyway, while this story struck me as the seed of a potentially interesting Elseworlds story - “what happens to Earth S when Earth’s Mightiest Mortals are exiled, not just trapped with their friends & enemies?” - but much more germane to your interests is the question of what a champion empowered by VCTMAN might look like.

May I please ask if you have any thoughts on what a Champion powered by VCTMAN might look like, in terms of power suite?

*Specifically Vulcan, ‘Centaur’, Thor, Mars, Ajax and Neptune (VCTMAN for short).
greycrusader

Post by greycrusader »

I’ll speculate too, if that’s okay.

So I would guess…Stamina of Vulcan (who works tirelessly), Speed of (a) Centaur, Strength of Thor, cunning of Mars (as opposed to Solomon’s wisdom), ferocity of Ajax (in contrast to courage of Achilles), power of Neptune (who did rule the seas, after all). So when Davey Doddsworth says the word VCTMAN he transforms in a torrent of hurricane winds and water into Captain Might.

All my best.
greycrusader

Post by greycrusader »

Also, the ‘C’ should likely stand for Centaur-US, the progenitor of the Centaur race in mythology.