"Soon I Will Be Invincible" by Austin Grossman

The place to talk about your favorite novels, comic books and web comics.
Superfanboy

"Soon I Will Be Invincible" by Austin Grossman

Post by Superfanboy »

I just finished this book. It's an exploration of the internal life of supers in a Standard Superhero Universe. The main protagonists are a Leader/Luthor type of villain with mild super physique + genius level intelligence, and a woman with lost memories who has become a cyborg and joined a super team. The Superman Expy Corefire has gone missing, and the heroes are on a tear.

I won't spoil any of the plot, but it's fairly good. It might make for a few good writeups, though there aren't a lot of feats the characters are deliberately similar to existing ones so you can fill in the blanks easily enough. It's a good book/audio book which stays fairly true to the super worlds but has a more psychological slant.
FuzzyBoots

Re: "Soon I Will Be Invincible" by Austin Grossman

Post by FuzzyBoots »

I too enjoyed that book. I liked that they made Doctor Impossible sound intelligent, and with reasonable complaints about the system, while also indicating his flaws and that he's not necessarily right.
Superfanboy

Post by Superfanboy »

FuzzyBoots wrote: Sun Jul 17, 2022 3:11 am I too enjoyed that book. I liked that they made Doctor Impossible sound intelligent, and with reasonable complaints about the system, while also indicating his flaws and that he's not necessarily right.
He's basically right about everyone, but antisocial himself. It also makes Corefire kind of an asshole, without making him a lunatic.
greycrusader

Post by greycrusader »

I also enjoyed this back in the day when it was first released. It treated the genre respectfully, but explored some of the conventions of superheroes well.

All my best.
Libra X

Post by Libra X »

For some reason I would dearly love to see the characters from this novel depicted in the art style of the INVINCIBLE comic book (Perhaps because that ‘House Style’ is so distinct from Mr Bryan Hitch, who provided illustrations for the novel, and also due to the shared name elements).

Also, I would absolutely love to see more in this vein from Mr Grossman, whether or not it takes place in the same ‘verse.