Tales of the Thorpocamultiverse: Batman vs Doc Ock

For those who have a way with words.
Thorpocalypse

Tales of the Thorpocamultiverse: Batman vs Doc Ock

Post by Thorpocalypse »

I'm going to move all my 3E playtests here and hopefully build upon them with additional ones along with more stuff.;l'p'plop;;;

I'm leaving that gobbledygook at end because it was one of my cats walking across my keyboard. ;)

----

EARTH-T1:

Batman vs. Vega

EARTH-PC2:

Batman vs. Bane
Batman vs. Doctor Octopus
Spider-Man (Peter) vs. Deathstroke
Superman vs. Gamma the Atom Smasher

OTHER J-MART LOCATIONS:

Thorpocaverse Setting Thread
J-Mart D&D 5E

J-Mart Original Location
J-Mart Fantasy: World of Gloriant
J-Mart II: Earth-J217
J-Mart PC Superstore
J-Mart Fight Club
Last edited by Thorpocalypse on Sat Mar 04, 2023 9:20 pm, edited 9 times in total.
Me fail English? That's unpossible. - Ralph Wiggum
Thorpocalypse

Re: Tales of the Thorpocamultiverse

Post by Thorpocalypse »

Space reserved 1
Thorpocalypse

Post by Thorpocalypse »

Space reserved 2
Thorpocalypse

Post by Thorpocalypse »

Space reserved 3
Thorpocalypse

Batman vs. Vega: Earth-T1 Playtest

Post by Thorpocalypse »

Playtest – Batman vs. Vega

Maneuver Legend: AA – All Out Attack, ACA – Accurate Attack, DA – Defensive Attack, PA – Power Attack, RA – Routine Attack, SA – Standard Attack], TC - Toughness Check, WC – Will Check, FC – Fortitude Check

DA HOUSE RULES

Intro: So we’re starting a new batch of tests at J-Mart. I’m considering all prior tests null and void in this restarted Thorpocamultiverse so we’ve got a clean slate. Also, since over the years I’ve bought lots of Green Ronin supplements, I will be incorporating some of the builds from Emerald City, Threat Reports, etc. in these tests with some slight modifications to fit my House Rules.

I really only want to test the House Rules and such, so the narratives will be limited, even if I continue with the “story” of some of the tests. So here we go...

--

The Batman is out on patrol when he is receives a call from Oracle that she intercepted a message from one of Rupert Thorne’s top men that they hired a top assassin to go after a witness they didn’t want to stand trial against them. And the hit was going down tonight. The GCPD had the witness stashed in a secret location but she hasn’t been able to locate it. Batman replied that he would take it from here.
Batman tries to contact Jim Gordon (man, I need to get him posted) but he can’t reach him. He settles for Harvey Bullock. He’ll try to persuade him to assist. I’ll consider Bullock as Unfavorable towards him. Batman gets a 22 on the check. 2 degrees of success. Bullock gets him the address in short order. Fortunately he’s fairly close so he summons the Batmobile and heads that direction.
He parks the car a couple of blocks away and goes the rest of the way via Bat Grapple swings. As he approaches the safe house, he hears gunfire and once he gets within visual range he sees two prone bodies lying by the front door of the small house. He hears a few more shots, then silence as he closes in. He stealthily approaches the door and peers inside.
With his Skill Mastery, he’s at 30 Stealth. No one can beat that. His Perception roll is a nat 20 for a 40. He sees EVERYTHING.
As he slides in the cracked front door, he notices that the two men out front had their slash wounds on their chests and necks. Looking into the warehouse he sees a shirtless man wearing a white full-face mask surrounded by 4 more bleeding bodies. The man brandishes a 3-clawed glove on his right hand, preparing to deliver a killing strike to a woman he holds by the throat with his other hand.

“Such a shame to destroy such beauty,” he says with a slight Spanish accent. “Alas, my duty, and bank account situation, force my hand…”
Surprise Round: Batman will Charge in for a Slam Attack to knock Vega away from his quarry. He hits with an adjusted 30. Since he moved his full speed, Vega has to make a DC20 TC. He blows it big time. He’ll use his HP to reroll and gets a 20 to avoid damage. But I will rule that he lost his grip on the woman. Batman makes his DC17 TC with a 24.
The Dark Knight runs in and hits the assassin with a flying shoulder tackle, knocking the woman free and sending both men sprawling but both of them quickly roll to their feet. “Ah, yes,” Vega says, smiling beneath his mask. “The legendary Batman. Allow me to introduce myself. I am Vega. And it is my destiny to rid the world of ugliness. And I find flying rodents to be quite disgusting. So, I am afraid I must rid the world of you.”
Round 1: Initiative: Vega – 17, Batman – 13. The room is 20x20 with a few pieces of furniture. Vega will test his opponent with a DA2 claw strike. He connects with a 26. Batman gets a nat 1 on his DC19 TC, HP to reroll allows him to pass with a 25. Batman will try to Startle Vega as move action. Vega will resist with Insight. They both roll 4’s so Batman wins 19 to 11. Batman will PA5 unarmed and he misses badly with a nat 2. Geez…

Round 2: Vega’s feeling confident. He will try to Agile Feint as move action. Batman opposes with Insight. Vega gets a nat 2, Batman gets a 19. No need to bother with the math, Vega fails. He’ll stay on the defensive, though, with another DA2 claw strike. Nat 1. Geez, I am rolling crappy. Batman goes PA5 again and this time he connects with a 32. DC24 TC for Vega, 17 for a 2nd degree failure.

Round 3: Vega is not quite as confident after getting clocked. He’ll again try to Agile Feint as a move and gets a 22, even with the -5. Batman gets a 26 on Insight so avoid it. Vega goes AA2 with his Spinning claw attack but misses with a 22. Man, the dice are not on his side tonight. Batman attacks PA5 again but he misses with a 19.

Round 4: Vega stays on the offensive but defensively, with a DA3 claw strike. Misses again with a nat 5. Batman will try to Startle him again as a move. He succeeds again. PA5 and he hits again with an adjusted 33. Another DC24 TC for Vega and he blows it big time. He should be knocked out but where’s the fun in that?
Vega left himself open after his last claw strike and the Batman took advantage of the opening nailing his foe with a hard right uppercut that lifted the street fighter off his feet and through a window. Batman was distracted for just a second as he heard one of the fallen officers groan in pain. The Dark Knight then looked out the broken window to find Vega was gone. Hearing the witness call for help, he made the decision to contact the GCPD and emergency services and let Vega go. For now…
Final Status – Vega (-2 toughness, escaped, 0 hp), Batman (fine, 1 hp)
--

Comments: I’m giving Batman an HP for the GM fiat. That was one sided but the dice were really against Vega. A couple of decent rolls and he could have given Bruce a lot better fight. A rematch should be in order at some point. But I’ve got more tests to do before that occurs.
Last edited by Thorpocalypse on Fri May 13, 2022 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thorpocalypse

Batman vs Bane: Earth-PC2 Playtest

Post by Thorpocalypse »

Playtest/Story – Batman (Bruce Wayne) vs. Bane

Maneuver Legend: AA – All Out Attack, ACA – Accurate Attack, DA – Defensive Attack, PA – Power Attack, RA – Routine Attack, SA – Standard Attack], TC - Toughness Check, WC – Will Check, FC – Fortitude Check

DA HOUSE RULES

Intro: Going to be doing testing of my PCs. I’m going to be playing these as a sorta mixture of play test and campaign where the PC characters will get PP and HP to carry forward so I can advance them and try to level up some of them. So don’t try to make sense of any “storylines”, it’s just me throwing stuff together and getting some practice with the game again since I’m running a campaign for my FTF group and I figured I’d post them in case I’m messing something up rules-wise so you smarter folk can correct me. Since I just saw the movie, the Bat kicks it off.

Also, I’m going to try and use maps I’ve found online for the encounter settings. For this one, I’m using this Warehouse map. Here we go.

--

GOTHAM CITY – EARTH-PC2

Batman is out on patrol when he gets a call from Oracle (Wendy) saying that she has info that Bane is overseeing a shipment of illegal arms tonight. She knows its going down at the docks but not exactly where. Batman says he’ll take it from there.
Bruce hits up street informant Contacts and gets a 27. With a fourth degree of success, he gets the location and the time. He takes the Batmobile and parks about a half mile away then moves towards the warehouse. He gets an 18 on Stealth to sneak around the building. He rolls a Perception check of 23 to case the place. He sees no guards at either the front or back. He sneaks up to a window and sees Bane standing in the middle of the warehouse with hostage tied to a chair .

Bane gets a nat 20 on his Perception to easily see that his foe is here. There was no shipment, it was a set up to call Batman out for a fight. He calls out to his nemesis to inform him of such and that if he refuses, he will snap the hostage’s neck. Batman drops down to the main floor about 40 ft north of Bane. The Dark Knight accepts his challenge and gets an HP for the complication of the hostage.
Round 1: Initiative: Bane – 21, Batman – 13. Bane will Charge Batman and go AA2 to keep his +13 to hit unarmed. And he bombs it with a 4 for a 17. Seeing Bane off balance, Batman goes PA4 unarmed and hits with a 20. Bane only gets a 13 against the DC23 TC for a 2nd degree failure. Batman drops a Smoke Pellet for Hide in Plain Sight and will use his Move action to Stealth mode. He beats Bane’s perception 24 to 17 so I’ll give Bruce a surprise attack. Bane will be vulnerable to his next attack. Bruce will use EE for an extra action to punch Bane again, PA4 and he hits again with a 20. Bane fails the DC23 TC 3rd degree with a 10. He’ll use his HP to reroll and gets a 22 for a 1st degree failure. Batman is fatigued. Not a great start for Bane.

Round 2: Bane resists his Venom for now and comes back swinging PA2 unarmed and barely misses with a 21. Batman swings away PA4 again and connects with a 29. Bane blows another DC24 TC with a 12. He’s now Staggered.

Round 3: Bane is frustrated and decides to hit the Venom Pump and that’s all he can do. Batman will burn an HP to shake the Fatigued condition and then Disengages. He then Grapple Guns off of the cargo hook cable, uses Athletics to double his speed, getting a 17 to move 60 ft to the south.

Round 4: Bane activates his Healing from the Venom Pump. He heals his Staggered condition and then moves 30 ft towards Batman. Batman pulls out and flings a Batarang at Bane and misses with a nat 1. He’s not getting that one back...

Round 5: Bane moves into close range on Bruce again and attacks unarmed AA2. He finally hits with a 31. Bruce fails the DC22 TC with a 12. Batman attacks PA4 unarmed and hits with a 26. Bane passes the TC with a 26. The tide seems to be turning.

Round 6: Bane swings AA2 again and hits with a 25. Batman blows the DC22 TC with a 12. He’ll use his last HP to reroll and makes the check with a 25 of his own. Bane invokes his Fast Grab. DC17 Dodge check for Bruce and he passes with a 19. He swings again PA4 unarmed and hits again. But Bane makes the DC23 TC with a 26.

Round 7: Bane goes PA2 unarmed again and misses with a 19. Batman drops a Flash Bang and Bane fails the Dodge check. But he easily makes the Fort check with a 26.

Round 8: Bane connects AA2 unarmed with a 25. But Batman makes the DC22 TC again with another 25. Bruce swings PA2 unarmed and misses.

Round 9: Bane wants to try and put Bruce down so he swings PA5 and misses by a mile. The Dark Knight comes back with a PA4 uppercut of his own and connects with the 20 he needed. Bane rolls a 12 for another 3rd degree failure. Since he healed his Staggered, I don’t think this takes him out. So Bruce will use EE for another attack and he hits again with a 20 and Bane rolls a nat 2 for another 3rd degree failure and he’s out! A weary Batman disconnects Bane’s Venom Pump and secures him before freeing the hostage and calling GCPD.

Final Status – Bane (-5 Toughness, staggered, incapacitated, 0 hp), Batman (-1 Toughness, fatigued, 0 hp)
Comments: I am surprised Bruce won a slugfest against Bane but the dice were with him. I think I need to tweak my Attack of Opportunity mechanic. It really hindered some of the stick and move things I wanted to try with Bruce. Ordinarily I would give 1-2 PP for a “Session” like this but I want to level my PCs up quicky to “normal” PL so I’m giving Bruce and Bane 5 this time with an additional HP for Bruce. Maybe I won’t be as giving next time, but....I probably will. ;)
Last edited by Thorpocalypse on Sat Mar 04, 2023 9:17 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Thorpocalypse

Spider-Man (Pete) vs. Deathstroke: Earth-PC2 playtest

Post by Thorpocalypse »

Playtest – Spider-Man (Peter Parker) vs. Deathstroke the Terminator

DA HOUSE RULES

Intro: Deathstroke has taken a contract to capture Spider-Man for an undisclosed client. He sets up on a rooftop about 60 ft up where the Spider regularly patrols in the evening. His plan is to catch him by surprise with a shot to sever his webline then tag him again with some non-lethal rounds to set up a coup de grace.

NEW YORK CITY: EARTH-PC2
Deathstroke is well hidden so I’m giving Pete a harder DC than 10 for his Spidey [Danger] Sense. Let’s go 20. He gets a nat 20. I’m going to overrule that and say he failed, giving him an HP. I want Deathstroke to have the early advantage. Slade gets to aim and he’ll AA2 with his sniper rifle to hit the web line at DC20. He gets an adjusted 33. Pete is falling so now we’ll go to Initiative…
Round 1: Initiative: Deathstroke – 25, Spider-Man – 18. I’m going to say Spidey is Vulnerable while he’s falling and Slade will fire another AA2 shot at him and hits easily with a 29. DC20 TC for Spidey and he gets a nat 1. HP to reroll gets him an adjusted 23 to avoid damage. Pete gathers himself and fires another web line (reactivating his Flight). His Spider Sense is going crazy and this time I’ll let his Perception roll of 23 stand so he knows where the shots came from and he swings up there to end his turn.

Round 2: Initiative: Deathstroke, Spider-Man. Slade will get another shot at Spidey as he approaches, this time PA2 with the sniper rifle and hits again with a 28. Oh geez, another nat 1 for Pete on the D22 TC. Last HP to reroll and he gets a 26 to avoid damage again. He swoops in with a flying kick, PA2 unarmed, and hits with a 29. DC25 TC for Deathstroke and HE gets a nat 1! He’ll burn his HP and get an adjusted 24 for a 1st degree failure. What is up with all these 1’s?!?!?.

Round 3: Initiative: Deathstroke, Spider-Man. Since they’re melee now, The Terminator will Quick Draw his sword and swing at Pete with an SA. He misses with a 23. Spidey swings a punch at Slade but gets ANOTHER NAT 1!!!! Grrrr…It’s like I’m rolling for my D&D character...

Round 4: Initiative: Deathstroke, Spider-Man. Let’s try again, this time Deathstroke will go AA2 with his sword and this time…great Odin’s ravens, another 1…Wow…

Spidey will try to Feint as a move action and he succeeds against Deathstroke’s Insight check, 23 to 16. Slade is Vulnerable so Pete goes PA2 unarmed and hits with a 27. Slade only gets a 12 against the DC25 TC so he takes a 3rd degree failure.

Round 5: Initiative: Deathstroke, Spider-Man. Slade will stick out another round of combat and he switches his sword for his Power Staff and goes AA3 with it and…nat 1. This has gone WAY past ridiculous!!! *sigh* At least he recovers a Toughness penalty with his Regeneration.

Another gift round for Spidey. He’ll PA2 unarmed again and he hits with a 28. At least this time Slade got a 22 on the DC25 TC. He only lost the Toughness rank he regained.

Round 6: Initiative: Deathstroke, Spider-Man. Deathstroke takes another jab at him with the Power Staff, this time PA2 and he misses again with a 16. He just can’t catch a break. Spidey will try to web Slade up and he hits with a Web Sling Affliction. DC20 Dodge check for Slade and, you can’t make it up, Slade rolls a 1! He’s Hindered and Vulnerable. I think I’ve seen enough. Deathstroke has no chance the way I’m rolling for him.

Round 7: Initiative: Deathstroke, Spider-Man. I’m not even rolling for this sequence. I can’t take anymore 1’s…

GM Fiats: Deathstroke breaks the web, Spidey automatically fails the Dodge and Fort checks with a second degree failure against his Flash Bang afflictions allowing Deathstroke to escape. Pete gets 2 HP for his troubles.

Status – Spider-Man (fine, 2 hp), Deathstroke (-2 toughness, staggered, 0 hp)
Comments: Well, that was some weird, wild stuff. I thought they were pretty evenly matched build-wise but as we all know, the dice are a fickle mistress. I had to have Slade escape so I could set up a rematch later. Even though I played Deathstroke as more of an NPC, I’ll give 5 PP to both like I did with Batman and Bane, drop Pete an extra HP and move on to the next test. With a different dice roller. ;)
Last edited by Thorpocalypse on Fri Dec 23, 2022 5:44 am, edited 3 times in total.
Thorpocalypse

Superman vs Gamma: Earth-PC2 Playtest

Post by Thorpocalypse »

Playtest/Story – Superman vs. Gamma the Atom Smasher

Maneuver Legend: AA – All Out Attack, ACA – Accurate Attack, DA – Defensive Attack, PA – Power Attack, RA – Routine Attack, SA – Standard Attack

DA HOUSE RULES

Intro: Some more PC testing here. I originally completed this test with my PL15 Superman and it was a 2 round blowout, so I never posted it. But I liked the matchup, so I reworked it with my PL12 PC Superman so let’s see if it’s a better fight.

--

METROPOLIS – EARTH-PC2

On a lovely spring day in Metropolis, Clark Kent is eating lunch with his wife Lois when his Justice League communicator buzzes in his ear. Beast, who is on monitor duty, says that there is a disturbance at STAR Labs. “I’m on it,” Clark replies. He gives Lois that “gotta go” look and returns an “I know, sweetie, but really, EVERY lunch?” glare. He kisses her on the cheek, ducks down an alley, does a super-speed quick change and in an instant, Superman flies towards STAR Labs.

In a few seconds, he comes upon a foe he hasn’t encountered before, a large, blue-skinned man with a bald head that is shooting energy blasts from his hands at front gates and screaming something about STAR Labs ruining his life.

Superman lands and tries to reason with him.
Persuasion check, roll is 19+11=30 so that should move Gamma to indifferent. But where’s the fun in that? HP for Clark for a little GM fiat so that Gamma stays hostile. The blue skinned man turns his ire on the Man of Steel. Initiative time...
“Easy son,” Superman says as he lands and walks slowly towards the big man, palms outstretched. “I don’t want to fight you, and no one wants to hurt you. Just calm down.”

The man quickly turns toward the Man of Steel and charges him with a roar. Well, I had to try, Superman thinks as he draws back his fist.
Round 1: Initiative: Superman – 16, Gamma – 2. Gamma advances on Superman, but he’s ready. He’ll pull his punch and go ACA2 and he hits with a 19. Gamma will have to make a DC29 Toughness check. He rolls a 2…HP to re-roll and this time he gets a 14+15=29 to avoid damage. Now he’s really angry so he will PA3 with a punch of his own and he hits with a 20. Clark has to make a DC32 and he does, 15+18=33. Superman also has to make a DC20 Fort check again Gamma’s Radioactive Aura and he gets a 19 to lose a rank of Stamina from the Weaken effect.

Status – Superman (-1 Stamina, 2 hp), Gamma (fine, 0 hp)
Round 2: Superman continues to pull his punches and goes ACA2 again this time. He hits with the 19 he needed. Gamma’s toughness check is DC29. He gets a 24 for a 1st degree failure as the shot rattles his teeth. Angered, he will let loose with his Radiation Burst. Clark has to dodge at DC22 and he gets a 10, not even close, so he’ll have to save against DC27 and does again with a 28.

Status – Superman (-1 Stamina, 2 hp), Gamma (-1 Toughness, 0 hp)
Round 3: Even though he hasn’t taken any damage yet, Clark’s realizing how dangerous this man can be so he’s going to try and put him down. He goes for a haymaker, AA/PA2 as a full round action per my house rules, and he misses with an 18. He’ll use an HP to reroll that and he gets a 25. Gamma has to save at DC34 and he gets a 23 for a 2nd degree failure. He’s wobbly, but still standing. Superman is going to try and press his advantage with Extra Effort for another attack, again AA2, but this time his big right hook goes wide and he misses with a 14. Gamma can’t run so he’ll go PA5 to try and take Superman out. He takes a wild double axehandle swing at The Man of Steel, but he misses with a 13.

Status – Superman (fatigued, -1 Stamina, 1 hp), Gamma (-2 Toughness, dazed, 0 hp)
Round 4: Superman will again try to end this with an PA2 and he hits with a 20. Gamma’s making a toughness check at DC34 again…natural 1. It’s over.

[Final Status – Superman (fatigued, -1 Stamina, 1 hp), Gamma (-4 toughness, incapacitated, 0 hp)
It’s time to end this, Superman thinks to himself. He saw the blue man staggering a bit after the last blow so with a burst of speed behind him, he unleashed a hard right uppercut that connected right on his foe’s jaw and sent Gamma to dreamland. “Sorry, son,” Superman said as he slung Gamma’s unconscious form over his shoulder. “We’ll see about getting you the help you need.”

Comments: Well, the fight with Gamma went about as expected. Gamma is pretty effective, but he seemed like he was out of his league in this fight and that’s OK. I’d like to test Gamma against a lower PL team, like when I get my Young Justice, X-Students or Young Avengers all posted. Supes did very well so I’ll give him 5 PP for his troubles and an extra HP.
Thorpocalypse

Batman vs Doctor Octopus: Earth-PC2 Playtest

Post by Thorpocalypse »

Playtest/Story – Batman vs. Doctor Octopus

Intro: Another test of my PC Batman, this time against my PC Doc Ock.

--
EARTH-PC2 – NEW YORK, NEW YORK, USA

Bruce Wayne and Lucius Fox are in New York for a meeting with Tony Stark to discuss a mutually beneficial business arrangement between Waynetech and Stark Enterprises the next morning. After dinner, Lucius retires for the evening while Bruce decides to take in the city in his alter ego of The Batman.

While patrolling near the Waynetech offices in Manhattan, he picks up on some suspicious activity. Moving in closer, he can the signs of forced entry but surprisingly, no alarms were triggered. As he proceeded, he saw a couple of the guards knocked unconscious.
Otto has his eyes on an experimental metallic compound that Waynetech is developing that he thinks will add more durability to his tentacles so he’s going to take some to experiment with. I’m handwaving Otto’s entrance into the building to keep things moving and set up the altercation.

But let’s see if Bruce can quickly locate him. 29 on his Perception check, no problem at all. Batman will try to sneak up on Otto once he gets close. An iffy roll gets him a 20 on Stealth, but Otto gets a nat 20 on his Perception check and he gets a 23 to notice him.
The culprit’s path through the building was easily to follow. After a couple of minutes Batman peered into a room where he spotted a middle-aged man in a green bodysuit and the familiar metal tentacles of Doctor Octopus protruding from its back. He seemed to be analyzing something but seemingly hadn’t noticed Batman yet.

Batman readied a flash bang grenade and was preparing to throw it in the room when the man turned towards the doorway and said, “I know you’re there, whoever you are. You might as well show yourself and save us both the effort of the cat and mouse game I’ve played too many times.”

“Fair enough,” the Batman said moving into the doorway. “You’re breaking and entering, Doc. Stand down.”

“The legendary Batman…” Octavius said with mock reverence. “Enjoying a night out of that cesspool of Gotham are we?”

“I was,” he replied menacingly letting his cape billow around him. “I repeat, stand down,”
Batman will try to Intimidate him. He gets a 32. Otto has nothing that can beat that. But I’ll say he does and give Bruce an HP.
“I don’t know all of the riff raff you deal with back in your hometown, Batman, but this is New York,” Octavius replied with a chuckle. “It takes more than a boogey man act to scare us here. You stand down and let me leave with the object of my desire. It’s a small thing that I’m sure the folks at Waynetech will hardly miss. It’s certainly not worth the beating you will take if you stand in my way.”

“Last chance. Drop it and surrender.” Batman replied.

The Doctor Octopus sighed. “You’re all alike…Spiders…Devils….now, Bats…self-righteous dolts, the lot of you! Well, then, as you wish…”

And with that, a tentacle came flying at the head of the Batman.
Round 1: Initiative: Batman – 24, Superior Octopus – 20. The room Ock is in is about 20x20, hallway is 10 feet wide. Batman moves in and will try to slow Ock down with a Flash Bang. Ock fails the DC16 Dodge check but passes the Fort check with a 25. As noted above, Ock lashes out with his Tentacle Strike and he hits with a 25. No multiattack bonus so DC is 27. Batman gets a natural 2, HP to reroll gets him a 23 total for a 1st degree failure.

Round 2: Batman will take a swing at Ock, DA2. Natural 4 causes a miss. Ock goes for another tentacle strike, AA2 but misses with a 21.

Round 3: Batman moves back and drops another Flash Bang on Doc Ock. Otto rolls a 20 to easily make the DC16 Dodge check but he gets a natural 4 on his Fort check against DC13 so that’s a 9 for a 1st degree failure. He’s Visually and Auditory impaired. Ock lashes out again with his tentacles, AA2, since he has 30 ft of reach with his Elongation on the tentacles, but he misses again with another 21.

Round 4: Batman whips a Batarang at his foe, PA2 but rolls another nat 4 to miss again. Ock moves out into the hall to strike at Batman again, going AA2 again and hits with a 27. Batman gets a natural 20 on his Toughness check to avoid damage. Doc also makes his Fort checked to shake off his Impaired conditions.

Round 5: Batman stays in close and takes a swing at Ock, PA3 and hits with a 30. DC22 TC and Ock makes it with a 23. Ock attacks again, this time with a standard attack but misses.

Round 6: Batman will slug him again, PA5 and rocks him with a 29. DC24 TC, Doc only gets a 12 total. He’ll use his HP to reroll and gets the 25 he needed to make the check. Ock goes AA2 with a tentacle strike again and hits with a 30, a 2nd degree success for +2 to damage. DC29 TC and Batman makes it with a natural 20! I know that’s technically a 28 but I’m giving it to him.

Round 7: Batman goes PA3 unarmed and misses. Ock goes PA2 with his tentacles and misses.

Round 8: Batman attacks unarmed PA5 and misses again. HP to reroll gets him an adjusted 32 and a DC24 TC. Ock rolls a natural 5, that’s a 10 for a 3rd degree failure. He tries to respond with a PA2 strike of his own, but misses.

Round 9: Batman moves 20 ft down the hall and whips some Bat shuriken at Ock and hits with a 25. Ock makes the DC16 TC check easily. He goes AA2 with his tentacle strike, using Elongation to cover the distance, and misses again. Man, first I was rolling bad for Bruce now it’s Otto’s turn, I guess.

Round 10: Batman will attempt to Startle Otto as a Move Action. DC23 for Otto who opposes with Intimidation but only gets a 17. Ock is vulnerable. Batman throws a Batarang, PA2 and hits with a 27. Ock has to make a DC23 TC and he gets an adjusted 10 for another 3rd degree failure and he should be out, but...

“Last chance, Octopus,” Batman growled at Otto. “I’m done playing games. Surrender, NOW.”

“Never, you plebian!” Otto retorted as he swung at him with his tentacles again. That left him open for a well-placed Batarang that Batman threw as he dodged that curved around his outstretched tentacles and struck him in the back of his head. Groggily, he activated his experimental ink cloud sprayer that temporarily blinded the Dark Knight, allowing him to make a hasty exit.

By the time Batman cleared his eyes, the Doctor Octopus was gone. As he was preparing to investigate the scene in further detail, he heard the sounds of two sets of feet landing behind him.
As he turned he saw not one, but two Spider-Men, one in a classic red and blue suit and one in a similar red and black suit.

“Where did he go?!?!” the Spider-Man in the red and black suit asked aggressively. “Did you see where he went?!?!?”

Batman just glared.

“Well??!?!?!” he asked again, moving closer. “Don’t tell me the World’s Greatest Detective is stumped by a simple question like that?!?!?”

Batman looked at the Superior Spider-Man and then at the original Spider-Man. “Really?” he snarked at the original. "Two of you?"

“I WISH there were only two, Batman,” Peter Parker said exasperatedly.

“I’m surrounded by simpletons,” The Superior Spider-Man sighed. “Come, ‘Spidey’, let’s go.”

“Just a minute, Spider-Men,” Batman said. “He took something from my benefactor, I’m staying on this case, too. Let’s discuss…”

Final Status – Batman (-2 toughness,30 hp), Doctor Octopus (-2 toughness, staggered, escaped, 0 hp) [/quote]

Comments: That turned out OK. I probably should have used some more tactics for Ock but the way the dice went towards the end, I don’t think I would have made that much difference. I think I have my PC Batman in a good spot. I’ll have to do some more testing to be sure but he worked pretty well and I think if I run Ock again, he’ll be more dangerous, too.

And I want to play up the two Ottos angle, too. I really like him in both incarnations so I figured why not have two clones that think they’re Otto roaming around? It’s very Marvel-y. 3 PP for Batman and an additional HP, and one PP for Otto.