Jab’s Builds! (Miss Piggy! The Swedish Chef! Sweetums! Gonzo!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Ken

Re: Jab’s Builds! (Captain Atom! Dr. Light! Martian Manhunter!)

Post by Ken »

My favorite appearance of Vibe from the "Ambush Bug Stocking Stuffer" 1986. Says so much about what was wrong with the Detroit-League and Vibe.

My Amazing Woman: a super-hero romantic comedy podcast.

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.
Jabroniville

Gypsy

Post by Jabroniville »

GYPSY (Cynthia "Cindy" Reynolds)
Created By:
Gerry Conway & Chuck Patton
First Appearance: Justice League of America Annual #2 (1984)
Role: Forgotten D-List Character, Illusion Master
Group Affiliations: The Justice League of America, The Conglomerate
PL 8 (116)
STRENGTH
1 STAMINA 2 AGILITY 4
FIGHTING 9 DEXTERITY 2
INTELLIGENCE 1 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE 2

Skills:
Acrobatics 2 (+6)
Athletics 7 (+8)
Close Combat (Unarmed) 2 (+11)
Deception 4 (+6)
Insight 4 (+6)
Perception 5 (+7)
Stealth 8 (+12)
Technology 4 (+5)

Advantages:
Ranged Attack 2, Set-Up, Teamwork

Equipment:
"Chameleon" Concealment (Visuals) 2 (Extras: Affects Others) (Quirks: Does Not Work on Machines) [3]

Illusion 8 (Visual & Auditory) (Feats: Dynamic) (Quirks: Does Not Work on Machines) (24) -- [27]
  • AE: "Projecting Spirit" Remote Sensing (Visual & Hearing) 8 (24)
  • Dynamic AE: "Fear Illusion" Affliction 8 (Will; Dazed/Stunned/Controlled) (Feats: Dynamic) (Extras: Perception-Ranged +2) (Flaws: Limited to Fear) (17)
Offense:
Unarmed +11 (+1 Damage, DC 16)
Illusion -- (+8 Illusion, DC 18)
Fear Illusion -- (+8 Perception-Ranged Affliction, DC 18)
Initiative +4

Defenses:
Dodge +12 (DC 22), Parry +12 (DC 22), Toughness +2, Fortitude +5, Will +6

Complications:
Responsibilty (The League)
Enemy (Despero)- He killed her parents, and has harassed her at other times.

Total: Abilities: 46 / Skills: 36--18 / Advantages: 4 / Powers: 30 / Defenses: 18 (116)

-Man, these 1980s Detroit Leaguers sucked. Gypsy is a teenage runaway adopting the stereotypical imagery of the Roma people (usually called "Gypsies" by most- it later turns out that she is in fact descended from them- the Roma are currently believed to be descended from India's "untouchable" caste and travelled to Europe, where they've been stereotyped as thieves for centuries), who just happened to be in the neighborhood where the JLA was reformed. She aids and then joins the team, later saving them against Amazo (by finding its conscience), but fails to save her teammates Vibe & Steel, and basically vanishes into Comics Limbo for a while. Her parents are Refridgeratored by Despero, and she joins Booster Gold's "Conglomerate" team, then Justice League Task Force, adopting some '90s Bad-Ass tropes. The book was swiftly-cancelled, and she vanished for a long, long time, only popping up during massive crossovers.

-Gypsy gained Intangibility Powers in the JLU cartoon, but was never shown fighting, or had any recorded dialogue. She's kind of an Illusion Master thing, and she was apparently a good fighter (having been trained by Bronze Tiger). I find her name hilarious- I mean, she's called GYPSY, for God's sake! An old nickname for the Romani people, this effectively makes her the equivalent of a black hero called Negro, or an Asian one named Oriental. Not inherently racist to most, but goofily-weird and some of that race WILL view it negatively. As expected, she has all but vanished from comics since the '80s, despite some attempts at '90s-styled career resurrections. She's just TOO stupid.
Sidney369

Re: Jab’s Builds! (Dr. Light! Martian Manhunter! Vibe! Gypsy!)

Post by Sidney369 »

J. M. DeMatteis did a lot better at providing characterization of the new characters in the final issues of Justice League of America. He made Vibe a believable, sympathetic character in #258, right before he was killed.
Always ask before you use someone's Original Character.
Never ever use them without permission. Only Villains do that.
Davies

Re: Gypsy

Post by Davies »

Jabroniville wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 10:49 pm -Man, these 1980s Detroit Leaguers sucked. Gypsy is a teenage runaway adopting the stereotypical imagery of the Roma people (usually called "Gypsies" by most- it later turns out that she is in fact descended from them
I suspect that the decision to reveal that Cindy is of Romany origin (when her family was as whitebread American suburban as you can get) was a "we can call ourselves that" saving throw. As the term has stopped even being used by the Rom themselves, it no longer works. NoOneOfConsequence suggested using the Runaway name that was applied to her amalgam with Rogue, while I like the idea of her going by Khameleon.
"I'm sorry. I love you. I'm not sorry I love you."
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

I'd go with "Vagabond" myself.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
greycrusader

Post by greycrusader »

That was the name (Vagabond) given to her criminal Earth-3 counterpart in one of the DC animated movies (it wasn't set in the JLU universe for some reason, though it easily could have been). Her comrades included Extruded Man (Elongated Man) and Breakdance (Vibe), but a Steel stand-in was missing (Cast Iron would have been an obvious monicker).

All my best.
Ken

Post by Ken »

I'd make her clothing immune to her powers so she has to remove them to be invisible. That way her code name isn't so much a reference to the Roma people, but to the cabaret and burlesque performer Rose Louise Hovick AKA Gypsy Rose Lee.

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.
Jabroniville

Fire

Post by Jabroniville »

This D-tier character sure is popular with pinup artists for some reason.

FIRE (Beatriz Bonilla da Costa, aka Green Flame, Green Fury)
Created By:
E. Nelson Bridewell & Ramona Fradon
First Appearance: Super Friends #25 (Oct. 1979)
Role: Fire Hero, Flying Blaster
Group Affiliations: The Justice League of America, The Global Guardians, The Super-Buddies
PL 10 (166)
STRENGTH
1 STAMINA 3 AGILITY 4
FIGHTING 6 DEXTERITY 2
INTELLIGENCE 2 AWARENESS 1 PRESENCE 3

Skills:
Deception 2 (+5)
Expertise (Model) 4 (+7, +9 Attractive)
Expertise (Secret Agent) 4 (+6)
Intimidation 3 (+6)
Perception 4 (+5)
Persuasion 4 (+7)
Ranged Combat (Fire) 3 (+9)
Vehicles 4 (+6)

Advantages:
Attractive, Improved Aim, Improved Smash, Ranged Attack 4, Set-Up, Teamwork

Powers:
Flame Aura 6 (Feats: Selective) [25]
Fire Blast 10 (Feats: Dynamic, Improved Critical, Split, Penetrating 6) (29) -- [37]
  • Dynamic AE: Damage 9 (Feats: Dynamic) (Extras: Area- 30ft. Shapeable) (19)
  • Dynamic AE: Damage 9 (Feats: Dynamic) (Extras: Area- 30ft. Line) (19)
  • Dynamic AE: Damage 9 (Feats: Dynamic) (Extras: Area- 30ft. Burst) (19)
  • Dynamic AE: "Boosted Aura" Aura 4 (Feats: Dynamic) (17)
Immunity 5 (Fire Damage) [5]
"Fire Field" Force Field 3 [3]
Flight 6 (120 mph) [12]

Offense:
Unarmed +6 (+1 Damage, DC 16)
Fire Aura +6 (+10 Damage, DC 25)
Fire Blast +9 (+10 Ranged Damage, DC 25)
Area Attacks +9 (+9 Damage, DC 24)
Initiative +4

Defenses:
Dodge +10 (DC 20), Parry +8 (DC 18), Toughness +3, Fortitude +6, Will +6

Complications:
Relationship (Ice)- The two were & are inseparable buddies.
Relationship (Guy Gardner, Nuklon)- Fire has had relationships with both red-haired heroes.

Total: Abilities: 44 / Skills: 28--14 / Advantages: 10 / Powers: 82 / Defenses: 16 (166)

-Fire & Ice were a pair of lesser-used DC characters in some random books, and gathered together into some random groups like The Global Guardians- Fire debuted as "Green Fury", and was a Wayne Enterprises employee from Brazil who gained some magical Green Flame abilities that had some hilarious visuals- mostly shooting green fire out of her NOSE. After the Crisis, she was now an amateur model & showgirl who soon became a Secret Agent, and then gained her powers in an accident involving protoplasm, later taking the name "Green Flame" instead of Green Fury. Eventually, she changed her name just to "Fire" and teamed up with Ice to join Justice League International, and she took a "big sister" role with the Nordic beauty. She temporarily gained a power-boost when the Dominators' "Gene Bomb" went off, but they were more uncontrollable in this state. She was de-powered after fighting Doomsday in the monster's debut, and Ice was soon killed in action- the character basically disappeared for a good while. Not that she'd ever escaped the C-League books anyways.

-Fire later appeared in the "Super-Buddies" group from Not The Justice League, pairing up with a naïve Mary Marvel as the "experienced" one like she used to with Ice, but it didn't last long. She became an agent of Checkmate as DC desperately tried to find SOMETHING for her to do, but nothing really "stuck". She was forced to kill dozens of people after being blackmailed by Amanda Waller, somethings he expressed remorse about. Eventually she did some stuff in Generation Lost, but nothing major. She's sort of like DC's version of Moon Knight or Cloak & Dagger- just someone they trot out every now and then to remind people that she's alive or something. At least the "Green Fire" aspect LOOKS cool- if she'd just been another flame-wielder, she'd be incredibly boring, but the unique color scheme (who else in comics has GREEN FIRE?) really makes her stand out as "super".

-Fire had little purpose other than a backgrounder in JLU, except for one episode, in which she was portrayed as The Flash's crush. It was a cute episode, though obviously filler material (Luthor was being tested by Grodd's new Society of Super-Villains to get the Spear of Destiny from Blackhawk Island, and a three-person retinue got sent to stop him), mainly based around Flash & Hawkgirl's brother-sister relationship, as she repeatedly pestered him to just man up and ASK THE GIRL OUT (but not before teasing him that she might be... you know...). Fire was basically hot, busty and Brazillian, with fire-privates.

-A pretty straightforward Blaster, Fire was somewhat resistant to damage, but basically acts like a mini, under-pointed Human Torch. She's kind of PL 9.5-ish, with weaker Area Attacks and powerful Blasts & Aura Powers. At various points, she's had odd powers like changing her clothing automatically, turning into actual flame (Insubstantial 3), and a "Freezing Flame" attack.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Wed May 25, 2022 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Skavenger

Re: Jab’s Builds! (Dr. Light! Martian Manhunter! Vibe! Gypsy! Fire!)

Post by Skavenger »

Fire also has a slight resistance to mind control if people try to control her thoughts with English, since she "thinks" in Portuguese. Not likely to come up very often, but it let her get around Roulette's trickery.

Also, you'd think she'd be more popular since she's an interesting visual on the page (not for THAT...well, not just for that).

Though, I'm also kind of surprised nobody's tried to link her to Alan Scott. Two characters with green fiery power-sets? What are the odds?
Tattooedman

Post by Tattooedman »

Skavenger wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 6:01 am Though, I'm also kind of surprised nobody's tried to link her to Alan Scott. Two characters with green fiery power-sets? What are the odds?
Cause things are screwed up enough with Jade & Obsidian.
Jabroniville wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 11:45 pm
LOl- "The Tattooed Man"? What kind of ABSOLUTE DILDO would refer to himself as "The Tattooed Man" :P!?!
Ares
Site Admin

Re: Fire

Post by Ares »

Jabroniville wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 3:46 am Image]
This pic always looked like a Rogue re-color to me.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

I can see that, especially with the bandana, which I think Rogue sported at one time, but Rogue was never so "Talented", even when Frank Cho drew her.
Ian Turner

Post by Ian Turner »

As the Green Fury, Beatriz controlled a mystical flame that could burn hot or cold, change her clothing to her costume, or create illusions (and allowed her to fly by shooting out her nose? Yikes.). That kind of intrigued me, such a diverse powerset, and not at all the 'green Human Torch expy' she later turned into (although I definitely would have gotten rid of the fiery-nasal-discharge thing!).
Ken

Re: Fire

Post by Ken »

Jabroniville wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 3:46 am Image
This pic always kind of made me think a) she may be Brazilian, but she doesn't have a brazilian, and b) that she must have really hairy wrists and areolae.

catsi563

Post by catsi563 »

Fire had little purpose other than a backgrounder in JLU, except for one episode, in which she was portrayed as The Flash's crush. It was a cute episode, though obviously filler material (Luthor was being tested by Grodd's new Society of Super-Villains to get the Spear of Destiny from Blackhawk Island, and a three-person retinue got sent to stop him), mainly based around Flash & Hawkgirl's brother-sister relationship, as she repeatedly pestered him to just man up and ASK THE GIRL OUT (but not before teasing him that she might be... you know...). Fire was basically hot, busty and Brazillian, with fire-privates
Fun fact about this she was also voiced by Maria Canals who voiced Hawkgirl pulling double duty in the episode :D
Dr. Silverback has wryly observed that this is like trying to teach lolcats about Shakespeare

Showdown at the Litterbox

Catsi stories